Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by allquixotic See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Amazing reliability; clarified terms of service"
Bad "5GB cap is too small compared to transfer speeds"
Overall "Great if you're on the go, but only for web/email"

I just completed a review of my abysmal Verizon DSL, and thought I should share my polar opposite experience with Verizon Wireless.

In 2006 I was due for a cellphone upgrade as part of my 2 year contract renewal with Verizon. I went to a brick-n-mortar Verizon store in a local mall to check out their offerings.

Then I saw the Samsung SCH-i730. Based on its price, features and the tantalizing prospect of broadband on the go (which I had never heard of before then), I emptied my discretionary spending fund and went for the unlimited data plan, and the phone itself retailed at $699. Whew!

The price sure hurt in those early days -- the service was $44.99 for "unlimited" and there was still the implicit 5GB cut-off if you read the fine print. And the smartphone was a rip-off. Its feature set wasn't worth that price.

Before I knew about the potential ToS violation that is tethering, I used to do it all the time with my SCH-i730 -- this helped me stay connected to the net all the way across the country on a vacation trip via Amtrak train, from Maryland to California. Sure, there were substantial periods of having no coverage (this is to be expected out in the plains of absolutely nowhere), but every major city and even some rural areas had either 1xRTT or EvDO. Cool. 3 years ago, having anything faster than dialup on a dual core ThinkPad, riding a train going 70mph in the plains of Illinois, was pretty amazing. Of course, I was completely oblivious to the fact that this whole time I wasn't supposed to be tethering, and I was probably being monitored closely because of the way I was using the service (i.e. more than just checking email).

Fast forward to 2009. Verizon clarified their TOS, which had always been that you would get cut off if you used over 5GB/month on the "unlimited" plan. Now they no longer call it "unlimited", which is a real drag; but at least now they aren't outright liars. I got a new (and much cheaper) phone, due to the fact that Windows Mobile has advanced to a new major release and Verizon isn't updating the SCH-i730, and because my i730's battery is just about useless, and because the i730 was slowly becoming frail and beaten up with age. Understandable. It was a rugged and useful little device during its time.

My new smartphone is a Verizon SMT5800, a re-branded HTC LIBR100. The capabilities are almost identical to the i730, except that it cuts out some of the features I didn't need of the i730: I hardly ever used the i730's WiFi (802.11b/g), its IrDA (infrared), and the touchscreen didn't make things easier. I like buttons. Other than that, its CPU, RAM and NAND seem comparable to the i730, but this phone only retails at $160. It's also got a standard Mini USB-A hookup, which means that the cable that comes with every MP3 player, camera, or other small miscellaneous digital device will work with my phone just the same. This is huge for the convenience factor.

The SMT5800 has similar software issues to the i730 that I blame on Windows Mobile (I'm a Linux guy primarily), but I can work around them. The important features are still there.

Anyway, the phones are good, but the service itself is infinitely more valuable. If I could somehow get two EvDO Rev. A connections to a single box, I would buy the modem and pay $100 - $120/month to get 2 x Rev.A speeds, and make that my primary home internet connection. But with the current transfer caps at 5GB, I couldn't very well do that, could I?

In its current state, EvDO Rev. A on Verizon's network is an outstanding way to look something up on Google Maps or Skyfire (my mobile browser of choice) while you're driving around looking for somewhere to eat, or a hotel, or whatever. But the bandwidth caps make tethering or any sort of "interesting" uses (even instant messaging apps on the phone) impossible.

I give it two thumbs up because it's just so amazingly reliable, and the coverage of the network is actually quite good, speaking from experience on a round trip cross-country train ride. I hope that someday this kind of reliable, wide-area connectivity will replace land lines that take years to finally get hooked up to your house. And if there's a problem with a cell tower, it affects hundreds of users, not just you, so they prioritize fixing it. That means you won't have to beg Verizon to fix your problem.

UPDATE 2012: The 700 MHz LTE network is incredible, and the devices have advanced by miles since the days when I wrote this review. My current device is a Razr Maxx HD. The devices are great, but the same old data caps are still around. Verizon still wants $10 for every gigabyte that travels over their network. It is highway robbery. While the capabilities of the handsets and network have improved, my opinion of Verizon has languished, as they have failed to price data at a semi-affordable rate.

Comments:

Review by CaptainRR See Profile

• Location: Blue Rock,Muskingum,OH
Good "Only alternative when I cant get a dailtone at the house for dialup."
Bad "Have to be carfull not to hit the 5 gig cap!"
Overall "Works fine in a pinch when my landline is dead."

I have had Verizon Wireless Broadband service for several years now and finally using it at home. I have no other options for broadband were I live and probably never will as long as at&t owns the rotting copper lines around me. Last month Verizon Wireless activated a new cell site a mile from my house finally giving me cellular service and 3g service for my air card. I have tested it in and out for the past couple of weeks and it has been okay. The ping times are between 150-200ms. The speeds are really not that impressing. The best download and upload speeds are not as good as I expected them to be due to the fact that Time Warner cable ran fiber to the cell site and Verizon in my county is on the PCS bands. The best download speed I ever could get is about 900k down and uploads are about the same around 800k. Of course I am also running a CDMA modem that is over two years old and maybe getting tired. The upside of things is that I know the cell site is running on a fiber backbone and hopefully LTE comes in in the next year or so making things brighter around here. Nov. 16, 2012 Verizon Wireless activated the LTE on one of the two cell sites I am in between. My smartphone the LTE comes and goes but my hotspot solid 3-4 bars LTE! The ping times still stink runing between 150-350ms. But speeds are averaging 10mbs down and 5mbs up. Much better than 3g! But my at&t landline well still useless at 24k dialup.

Comments:

Review by jokarius See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Good connection topping out at 12 Mb, decent 4G speeds, mid 40 ms latency"
Bad "30 Gb cap is expensive but is the best option available"
Overall "the best available in rural VA"

Area: Purcellville, VA
Verizon Home Fusion
30 GB cap for 120/month
I ordered it in the store and 6 days later a fairly competent installer arrived on-time to install the product. The service Consists of the CANTenna and a Technicolor Router. Installation took about 2 hours while the tech found the best signal location.

The router support 4 10/100 Ethernet ports and a B/G/N wireless solution supporting WPS and QOS monitoring. It does not support SNMP or any form of management other than the web UI.

I am in an area that has 4G but not LTE support Speed tests range from 7000 Kb/s to 12000 Kb/s and an upload of 5000 Kb/s Latency has ranged 39-59 ms. These test have generally been done with the java based test from dsl reports.

Overall it is a remarkable improvement over the 1.5 Mb/s max connection provided by Roadstar which is the only real provider here. LTE is available about 30 miles away so there is a good chance I'll get up to LTE speeds and better signal strength.

Router:
Technicolor Router TG 790

Comments:

bobjohnson
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL

LTE.

Anything 4g with Verizon is LTE. Otherwise it would be 3g which is usually 2mb down and lower. Just don't want anyone to be misinformed.
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

The truth

I agree with you on that it is the best in rural VA.

»Review of Verizon BroadbandAccess by NYGiants

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "1.5 years ago was great. Up to 20MB down at times."
Bad "Periods of unreliability. Down for the last week!"
Overall "Not bad when it works."

The more trouble you have, the more likely VZW is to "let you out of the contract". When did that become an acceptable way to do business?

Had Sprint then Sprint/Millenicom, overlapped with VZW, dumped Sprint, now have VZW and AT&T. Much as I hate the AT&T bureaucracy, at least they work.

Comments:

Review by elitegamer21 See Profile

Good "low latency, reliable and fast."
Bad "None."
Overall "I love this faster than cable/ dsl here."

VZW HomeFusion is great i get speeds close to 50 mb/s D and 14 mb/s up. And low latency and reliable is number 1 things to me homefusion has that easy.

Comments:

Review by logitech See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "They are number one in wireless internet through wireless providers"
Bad "sometimes depending on the time the speeds are a lil doggish even on 4G"
Overall "Every provider has a down fall i dont care who it is!"

for the most part i believe verizon wireless is about the best wireless company around!

Comments:

Review by elitegamer21 See Profile

• Location: Hanceville,Cullman,AL
Good "Very, very fast no downtime at all."
Overall "It rocks i got 40 mbps/ 17 mbps up no downtime, very fast ."

Blows dsl away and right up there with cable. It is very stable/ fast i love it, Glad i got it.

• Location: Palm Harbor,Pinellas,FL
Good "Coverage area"
Bad "Salesmanship"
Overall "Oversold on a contract, withheld vital information from me on the products, alternate plans, etc."

My experience with Verizon is as follows:

Superb, if not one of the best carriers as far as coverage, pretty good on
Customer Service- however, in my most recent encounter with their Reps, under the
guise of "helping me" they tried to sell me what I really didn't need instead of focusing on handling my complaint of inadequate service for the money I was paying. Fortunately, I stood my ground as I learned from my earlier mistakes and my own research.

That said, I would say that their weak point on integrity is their sales
line. I found that they had their own agenda and were not looking out for
my best interest. Specifics follow...

I am a single, middle aged woman and the best for me would have been the
plan I am on now, month to month unlimited voice, text and data for $50 per
month.

Instead I was grossly oversold on a 2 year contract with out-right lies
about the value of the products and service. Note: On contract, I would
have to pay literally 3x the amount, if not more, for the same service I am
getting now.

More specifics... As part of the contract I received an LG phone "free"
valued at $200 or so, had it stolen and a pre-owned replacement cost me
nearly the same. But get this... I just got an LG Revere- very similar
model at Walmart for $15 to initiate my pre-paid plan!

Further.... my contract was upgraded to include a broadband for "free" (valued at $75- but can be purchased for $30 or less elsewhere) that I didn't need. The salesman
neglected to inform me that I could pay a few dollars a month and access Gmail on my cell phone! It was costing me $40 per month until I got wiseto it.

On top of that I was assessed a contract breakage fee- approx $150! I now have yet another fee to pay due to ending my overall contract 2 months early- $70. But I went with it anyway as it cost me less in the long run to switch to the month to month plan.

Overall, I estimate their questionable sales tactics lost me at least $1000, if not $1500.

I'm not happy in the least and told them so and have not only asked for my
fee to be waived, but to compensated for this awful, costly experience.

KMR

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

John Lenihan

@bhn.net

Verizon

Mail a short letter (or use their online form) to

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
P.O. Box 4503
Iowa City, Iowa 52244

and tell them the story. No guarantees, but they usually try to be helpful.

Review by T4K See Profile

• Location: Roach,Camden,MO
Good "3G customer now a 4G customer"
Bad "Signal could be better for 4G"
Overall "Finally high speed!"

Been a loyal customer with them for over 8 years. I'm so happy that they deployed 4G in the area TODAY. The speeds are pretty amazing. Even for just having 2bars. 8mbits/5mbits. Which is a lot better then what it use to be.

Why is my bill so high? Extra phones and data card... Everything Grandfathered in unlimited plan.

Comments:

ChristopherZ

@telepacific.net

Verizon broadband card doesn't work well

I travel a lot for business and I got a Verizon broadband card to help me be more efficient on the road and avoid paying for internet service in hotels.

Great in concept, but unfortunately the Verizon broadband card doesn't work very well or at all in most places. Here is a list of places where I personally experienced the Verizon card not working:

Airports: San Francisco airport, Burbank airport, Chicago O'Hare airport, Washington Dulles airport, JFK New York airport, and Denver airport.

Hotels: Park Lane Hotel in NYC (at Central Park), Essex House Hotel in NYC (also at Central Park), Willard Hotel in Washington DC, Westin Hotel in Denver, North Fork Ranch in Colorado, Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago (downtown near the lake).

This is a LOT of places for a supposed 4G service to not work! I finally lost patience with them and cancelled my service. For being a loyal customer and paying my bill on time each month for a service that did not work, Verizon charged me a $130 cancellation fee on my way out the door.

Not a great customer experience at all.
T4K

join:2002-03-13
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: Verizon broadband card doesn't work well

Which verizon card? I'm using the one that's inside a dell laptop. From that list I've been to 4 of those airports and haven't had any problem at all.

Review by shortfilmguy See Profile

• Location: Troup,Smith,TX
Good "Very Fast"
Bad "Expensive. Has 30gb cap"
Overall "great if you have no other options"

I ordered and they installed the next day (homefusion). Installer was nice and got everything installed and working.