Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "Fast when it work's, best upload speeds I can get ware I live."
Bad "Connection disconected just about every day 5+ times a day"
Overall "If you can, go to AT&T or sprint for LTE due to poor tech support"

My bill is low becuase I have unlimited data with the 450 min plan.

Now I got my Droid razr On 12/5/11 and signed my first contract with verizon. Got unlimited data after by asking for it. At first it worked well but then it started to drop 4G and fall back to 3G even in the verizon store right in the sale reps face with every phone the store had held 4G with 4-5 bars at THAT time.

He just had replaced the sim too when that happened. So then it worked a bit better after rebooting it again for the 3rd or 4th time THAT DAY. Then after the first month of the year, I started to get very slow down load speeds like 500kbs, but upload was mostly fine at 5-10mbs. So I called 611 about it and hard reset my phone 2 times, and some more thing's they said to try and it all failed. By that time I went back to the store and showed him this and he reseted the phone. It worked again for a bit, but as soon as I got home. 500kbs again

I called 611 again and told them I done every thing they told me to and then DID it again so give me a "new" phone. They then sent me the "new" phone and it worked better, but still had the same core issues just not as much. It went on and on with 611 call's getting no ware so I had to call the BBB and tell them I think verizon is throttling me, but won't tell me the truth. After that they mostly fixed it, but still had issues with connection's droping, but not slow speeds.

That was over a 4-5 month time trying to fix that.

(This part is more about the phone it's self, but verizon wireless did it so I think it can be a part of this review.)
Thing were going "ok" for a few week's after that and then verizon pushed out the ICS update for the Razr that 99% fixed the speed issues and fixed even more of the connection issues, but then flash player did not work at all when ICS still SHOULD work very well with it. So after 2 days on the phone with verizon and some words in between the lines at the end that if you could put 2+2=4 you would know you could get sued for this and they swaped it out for a galaxy S3.

So it's getting better now with the S3, but the way they dealed with me was not right so here is my review. I never really had issues like this with AT&T. So I was really just dissapointed with them for a long time and now very slowly trying get back to at lest thinking they are ok, but it will take a lot of time before I can tell any one I think they should join verizon.

Video of connection issues:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDxJoGv3···&list=UL

Video's of speed issues:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCbvDEew···&list=UL

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZYLUZr-···&list=UL

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKMhrV1···&list=UL

Update: With the free galaxy s3 Verizon gave me in trade for the razr, It work's a lot better now. No drop out's really and 10+mbs download and 5 up. The Droid Razr is just a bad phone that was very hard to get Verizon to replace and for that tech support will have to stay at worst rating.

connection reliability and services gained some, but for all the down time will not be 5 stars. If not for the poor support and issues they both would have gotten a 5. Also call's are poorer with this phone than with my AT&T phone.

Comments:

Review by mts7471 See Profile

• Location: Roselle,Du Page,IL
Good "Very fast speeds, and its not Comcast"
Bad "Higher cost but corporate discount helps"
Overall "Good for occasionaly streaming due to data caps, but for general surfing its excellent"

Ordered this about a week ago and was installed this past weekend. I've been been pleased with the service since I was on DSL service for 12 years. I refuse to use Comcast so this is my only alternative to DSL service. With a corporate discount, the cost is about the same(prices shown are retail), and I only watch 1 or 2 Netflix movies, so streaming and data caps aren't a concern for me. What I'd love to see Verizon do is to enable the phone ports on the back of their router so I can dump ATT landline service all together. The cost is basically an additional 40 on my existing 2Gb shareverything plan to bump it up to 10Gb of data, and 20 dollars for access, so an extra 60 bucks on top of an existing Smartphone plan. The cantannae on the side of the house is just a little smaller then a coffee can. My only disappointment is that the router doesn't seem to have the ability to bridge. I prefer using my Asus N-66U router for wireless access in the house, and I ended up having to double NAT it . Aside from that I'm very pleased with the performance of the service, and not using Comcast is a win for me.

Comments:

Review by sambowomble See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
Good "Fast speeds and reliable calls"
Bad "Some choice of phones do not give 4G justice"
Overall "Verizon provides an excellent call service as well as data when it works"

I have had Verizon for many years and have been pretty good to me. Anything from equipment issues to customer service, they have been a service provider that I will continue to use.

Comments:
pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

$$$$?

$200 per month
what do u get for that much per month?

sambowomble
Are you sure? If not check again
join:2009-11-23
Murfreesboro, TN

Re: $$$$?

4 lines, 1400 minute plan with unlimited internet, two basic phones no internet, two smarthphones with grandfathered unlimited internet plans and insurance on all 4 lines.

Review by allquixotic See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Amazing reliability; clarified terms of service"
Bad "5GB cap is too small compared to transfer speeds"
Overall "Great if you're on the go, but only for web/email"

I just completed a review of my abysmal Verizon DSL, and thought I should share my polar opposite experience with Verizon Wireless.

In 2006 I was due for a cellphone upgrade as part of my 2 year contract renewal with Verizon. I went to a brick-n-mortar Verizon store in a local mall to check out their offerings.

Then I saw the Samsung SCH-i730. Based on its price, features and the tantalizing prospect of broadband on the go (which I had never heard of before then), I emptied my discretionary spending fund and went for the unlimited data plan, and the phone itself retailed at $699. Whew!

The price sure hurt in those early days -- the service was $44.99 for "unlimited" and there was still the implicit 5GB cut-off if you read the fine print. And the smartphone was a rip-off. Its feature set wasn't worth that price.

Before I knew about the potential ToS violation that is tethering, I used to do it all the time with my SCH-i730 -- this helped me stay connected to the net all the way across the country on a vacation trip via Amtrak train, from Maryland to California. Sure, there were substantial periods of having no coverage (this is to be expected out in the plains of absolutely nowhere), but every major city and even some rural areas had either 1xRTT or EvDO. Cool. 3 years ago, having anything faster than dialup on a dual core ThinkPad, riding a train going 70mph in the plains of Illinois, was pretty amazing. Of course, I was completely oblivious to the fact that this whole time I wasn't supposed to be tethering, and I was probably being monitored closely because of the way I was using the service (i.e. more than just checking email).

Fast forward to 2009. Verizon clarified their TOS, which had always been that you would get cut off if you used over 5GB/month on the "unlimited" plan. Now they no longer call it "unlimited", which is a real drag; but at least now they aren't outright liars. I got a new (and much cheaper) phone, due to the fact that Windows Mobile has advanced to a new major release and Verizon isn't updating the SCH-i730, and because my i730's battery is just about useless, and because the i730 was slowly becoming frail and beaten up with age. Understandable. It was a rugged and useful little device during its time.

My new smartphone is a Verizon SMT5800, a re-branded HTC LIBR100. The capabilities are almost identical to the i730, except that it cuts out some of the features I didn't need of the i730: I hardly ever used the i730's WiFi (802.11b/g), its IrDA (infrared), and the touchscreen didn't make things easier. I like buttons. Other than that, its CPU, RAM and NAND seem comparable to the i730, but this phone only retails at $160. It's also got a standard Mini USB-A hookup, which means that the cable that comes with every MP3 player, camera, or other small miscellaneous digital device will work with my phone just the same. This is huge for the convenience factor.

The SMT5800 has similar software issues to the i730 that I blame on Windows Mobile (I'm a Linux guy primarily), but I can work around them. The important features are still there.

Anyway, the phones are good, but the service itself is infinitely more valuable. If I could somehow get two EvDO Rev. A connections to a single box, I would buy the modem and pay $100 - $120/month to get 2 x Rev.A speeds, and make that my primary home internet connection. But with the current transfer caps at 5GB, I couldn't very well do that, could I?

In its current state, EvDO Rev. A on Verizon's network is an outstanding way to look something up on Google Maps or Skyfire (my mobile browser of choice) while you're driving around looking for somewhere to eat, or a hotel, or whatever. But the bandwidth caps make tethering or any sort of "interesting" uses (even instant messaging apps on the phone) impossible.

I give it two thumbs up because it's just so amazingly reliable, and the coverage of the network is actually quite good, speaking from experience on a round trip cross-country train ride. I hope that someday this kind of reliable, wide-area connectivity will replace land lines that take years to finally get hooked up to your house. And if there's a problem with a cell tower, it affects hundreds of users, not just you, so they prioritize fixing it. That means you won't have to beg Verizon to fix your problem.

UPDATE 2012: The 700 MHz LTE network is incredible, and the devices have advanced by miles since the days when I wrote this review. My current device is a Razr Maxx HD. The devices are great, but the same old data caps are still around. Verizon still wants $10 for every gigabyte that travels over their network. It is highway robbery. While the capabilities of the handsets and network have improved, my opinion of Verizon has languished, as they have failed to price data at a semi-affordable rate.

Comments:

Review by CaptainRR See Profile

• Location: Blue Rock,Muskingum,OH
Good "Only alternative when I cant get a dailtone at the house for dialup."
Bad "Have to be carfull not to hit the 5 gig cap!"
Overall "Works fine in a pinch when my landline is dead."

I have had Verizon Wireless Broadband service for several years now and finally using it at home. I have no other options for broadband were I live and probably never will as long as at&t owns the rotting copper lines around me. Last month Verizon Wireless activated a new cell site a mile from my house finally giving me cellular service and 3g service for my air card. I have tested it in and out for the past couple of weeks and it has been okay. The ping times are between 150-200ms. The speeds are really not that impressing. The best download and upload speeds are not as good as I expected them to be due to the fact that Time Warner cable ran fiber to the cell site and Verizon in my county is on the PCS bands. The best download speed I ever could get is about 900k down and uploads are about the same around 800k. Of course I am also running a CDMA modem that is over two years old and maybe getting tired. The upside of things is that I know the cell site is running on a fiber backbone and hopefully LTE comes in in the next year or so making things brighter around here. Nov. 16, 2012 Verizon Wireless activated the LTE on one of the two cell sites I am in between. My smartphone the LTE comes and goes but my hotspot solid 3-4 bars LTE! The ping times still stink runing between 150-350ms. But speeds are averaging 10mbs down and 5mbs up. Much better than 3g! But my at&t landline well still useless at 24k dialup.

member for 8.5 years, 1006 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jokarius See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Good connection topping out at 12 Mb, decent 4G speeds, mid 40 ms latency"
Bad "30 Gb cap is expensive but is the best option available"
Overall "the best available in rural VA"

Area: Purcellville, VA
Verizon Home Fusion
30 GB cap for 120/month
I ordered it in the store and 6 days later a fairly competent installer arrived on-time to install the product. The service Consists of the CANTenna and a Technicolor Router. Installation took about 2 hours while the tech found the best signal location.

The router support 4 10/100 Ethernet ports and a B/G/N wireless solution supporting WPS and QOS monitoring. It does not support SNMP or any form of management other than the web UI.

I am in an area that has 4G but not LTE support Speed tests range from 7000 Kb/s to 12000 Kb/s and an upload of 5000 Kb/s Latency has ranged 39-59 ms. These test have generally been done with the java based test from dsl reports.

Overall it is a remarkable improvement over the 1.5 Mb/s max connection provided by Roadstar which is the only real provider here. LTE is available about 30 miles away so there is a good chance I'll get up to LTE speeds and better signal strength.

Router:
Technicolor Router TG 790

Comments:

bobjohnson
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL

LTE.

Anything 4g with Verizon is LTE. Otherwise it would be 3g which is usually 2mb down and lower. Just don't want anyone to be misinformed.
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

The truth

I agree with you on that it is the best in rural VA.

»Review of Verizon BroadbandAccess by NYGiants

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "1.5 years ago was great. Up to 20MB down at times."
Bad "Periods of unreliability. Down for the last week!"
Overall "Not bad when it works."

The more trouble you have, the more likely VZW is to "let you out of the contract". When did that become an acceptable way to do business?

Had Sprint then Sprint/Millenicom, overlapped with VZW, dumped Sprint, now have VZW and AT&T. Much as I hate the AT&T bureaucracy, at least they work.

member for 7 years, 158 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by elitegamer21 See Profile

Good "low latency, reliable and fast."
Bad "None."
Overall "I love this faster than cable/ dsl here."

VZW HomeFusion is great i get speeds close to 50 mb/s D and 14 mb/s up. And low latency and reliable is number 1 things to me homefusion has that easy.

Comments:

Review by logitech See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "They are number one in wireless internet through wireless providers"
Bad "sometimes depending on the time the speeds are a lil doggish even on 4G"
Overall "Every provider has a down fall i dont care who it is!"

for the most part i believe verizon wireless is about the best wireless company around!

Comments:

Review by elitegamer21 See Profile

• Location: Hanceville,Cullman,AL
Good "Very, very fast no downtime at all."
Overall "It rocks i got 40 mbps/ 17 mbps up no downtime, very fast ."

Blows dsl away and right up there with cable. It is very stable/ fast i love it, Glad i got it.