Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by LilBambi See Profile

• Location: Dendron,Surry,VA
Good "When it works right it is a dream to use; Excellent bandwidth"
Bad "COST is outrageous for ONLY viable broadband solution"
Overall "VERY EASY to go over cap. $80/mo plus $10/GB over for 3G MiFi"

We live in a small town in a rural county of Virginia, within 14 miles of Williamsburg, VA across the James River.

As you see from the monthly cost, on average, it's approx $80/mo IF YOU NEVER GO OVER YOUR 10GB CAP.

For many people not going over that 10GB cap would be easy.

For us it is VERY EASY to go over and to do it in a big way without watching any movies or TV shows. Since nearly a year ago when we got our MiFi -- which by the way was way cheaper than the previous solution of two USB devices with 5GB caps on each and so much per MB over that! -- we have tried to keep to the 10GB and sometimes we succeeded and often we went over a couple GB.

Recently there has been more remote session work due to gas prices being so high, and more website work. All of which is great news BTW. It saves on gasoline and wear and tear on the car, and wear and tear on me and my time, however, our bandwidth has gone up accordingly. So I am not at all sure there is ANY savings at all, and maybe it's actually worse on costs if truth be told.

We have a business where we work on computers in homes and here in the shop. Many times there are lots of updates to get for not only our own computers but for clients as well. We have to download updates for plugins, browsers, software, etc. all the time to keep up to date. We download ISOs for diagnostics and Linux computers, we do remote assistance for clients, and website design and hosting.

With both home and business bandwidth needs, it is very easy to go over. Particularly with remote sessions for my business and website work. NOTE: We do not watch any movies online, or TV shows as much as we would love to do so.

At the end of April, on our last Verizon Wireless Broadband bill Verizon Wireless Broadband Internet was $190.29. This was ONLY for the Internet. Cellphone costs were on top of that.

Verizon Wireless broadband service is excellent, or at least most of the time, as long as you can find a place in your home to get a constant signal. And IF THEY DON'T GO MOVING THE ANTENNA ON YOU AFTER THEY GOT YOU ON THE HOOK FOR ANOTHER 2 YEAR CONTRACT!

Now that they have moved the antenna, we ended up having to put it on top of a hutch on the second floor northwest corner of the house to get it to be constant now. NOW THEY SAY WE ARE ON THE FRINGE. We can see the tower across the field. But we are on the fringe. Unbelievable.

It used to work anywhere in the house, but apparently from what was said, even though this is our ONLY viable 'broadband' option for our home and business needs -- which are granted intense by comparison to the average user due to my online business needs -- they have moved their antenna on the very close tower (within a mile across a field) so it no longer faces us and is no longer full bars for us.In fact, it still goes down for us several times a day and reconnects even in our best location now. But when it is working...

When it is working, the service bandwidth and throughput is absolutely amazing! And we are just on their 3G.

We really need a 4G LTE tower near us and hopefully it will be soon since we really have no other choices.

HughesNet is not ready for prime time and throttled which would be totally useless for my business purposes

AT&T and Sprint towers are either too far away or slow to nearly dialup speeds on GSM only -- no 3G or 4G at all for literally many miles; even more miles away than Verizon's 3G network's close tower that we connect to, and at least as far away as Verizon's 4G/LTE over in Wiliamsburg for comparable 4G.

Customer Service is outstanding, especially once they get you to a higher tier engineer tech. They really do try to help the situation. Unfortunately, there is only so much they can do in my case, now that Verizon has re-aimed the antenna on the tower to accommodate more users (which I do understand btw, but understanding doesn't fix my problem now does it?) instead of adding another 3G antenna or changing over to 4G LTE which is coming but WHEN!!!??!

But even if 4G/LTE and 4G/LTE HomeFusion (SM) Broadband does come, which would be our best possible solution which is best case is still $120 for 30GB and provides:

* Fast Internet access with average speeds of 5 - 12 Mbps download and 2 - 5 Mbps upload
* Wi-Fi connectivity for up to 20 devices
* Wired (Ethernet) connectivity for up to 4 devices
* Up to 5 email accounts included

Overages will still be $10/GB over the 30GB so we will still have to be closely watching our bandwidth. And still no movies or TV shows online. Or much of anything in the Cloud either such as backups, syncs, etc. Audio books, TED video or remote video classes at the colleges.

But it is certainly better than $190.29 for 21GB of data for the month and that was watching it closely!

I love the bandwidth throughput when Verizon Wireless is working well for us, but even so, it's a double edged sword. The faster it comes down, the quicker we hit our cap....

Comments:
LilBambi

USA

Time to let the air out of my shoes and learn to play flute

As if my Verizon Wireless bill wasn't bad enough in my review ... what is this crap!!!!!

In Less Than 1 Year Verizon Data Goes from $30/Unlimited to $50/1GB

By Michael Weinberg | June 12, 2012

»www.publicknowledge.org/blog/les···ited-501

Read it and weep. I am...

Sigh...

@Wired asked if it was just me, or does everybody think mobile broadband pricing is a joke referring to this article:

»www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/···lickthru

===

Oh, yea. I am fairly certain mobile broadband pricing is a joke. I'm living it.

The Share Everything Plans anger me too because, it was only a few months that I got a new phone (feature phone) again, to keep data costs down due to the costs on my already too high Verizon bill due mainly to mobile broadband (via MiFi only) currently.

Oh, and let's not forget they still are maxing out at 10GB, oh, wait, there's the 'easy on the pocketbook $10 per every 2GB' (truthfully, that is an improvement btw over the $10/1GB that I am currently paying).

The recommendation page for my two basic phones, which I assume since they are not smartphones and basic phones are the only other option on the page, and a MiFi shows:

We Recommend

10GB

Shared Data

Unlimited Talk & Text

Monthly Access*

$180

Verizon Wireless data devices average between 1 and 2 GBs of data a month.

*Does not include taxes and surcharges

Using the 21GB data used on the bill from my Verizon a few months ago, that would be:

$180 shared data, unlimited talk & text.
$ 60 $10/2GB over approx.
$240/mo. *Does not include taxes and surcharges.

It would actually save me some money on my current system BUT! IF I HAD TWO SMART PHONES THAT SAME SCENARIO WOULD BE:

We Recommend

10GB

Shared Data

Unlimited Talk & Text

Monthly Access*

$200

Verizon Wireless data devices average between 1 and 2 GBs of data a month.

*Does not include taxes and surcharges

$200 shared data, unlimited talk & text.
$ 60 $10/2GB over approx.
$260/mo. *Does not include taxes and surcharges.

SIGH...

Review by bkwyatt98 See Profile

• Location: Martinsville,Martinsville City,VA
Good "LTE is extremly fast for any wireless service."
Bad "10 GB caps make me laugh no heavy internet user can deal with that."
Overall "Good if your on the road or live in a rural area it will beat DSl or satellite."

I had the Pantech UML 290 I had around 20 mbps downlink and 10 uplink. If Verizon would offer a 100GB plan for their home fusion or even mobile broadband at a price of no more than 140 a month I would diffidently sign up for service again. The speeds for people in rural areas are fantastic compared to 1.5 mbps DSL. However on average I use no less than 40GB a month so even the 30GB plan for home fusion is not a option for me. If caps do not scare you off and if you only have slow DSL or worse Hughes net. You will be happy with Verizon's super fast LTE network.

Comments:

Review by str8jacket See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Simple install of drivers and software to computer, device auto-detected and ready to go!"
Bad "Propietary software (drivers) and hardware (USB cable) required."
Overall "70kbps connection from my cell phone, not bad."

phone only supports 1XRTT, so no choice.

Comments:

Review by Vince_C See Profile

• Location: Grayson,Caldwell,LA
Good "Easy to install and use, and it functions well."
Bad "Overpriced and bandwidth capped service."
Overall "When it's the only real option you have for a decent connection, it's a must have service."

I live in an area where there are only two real choices for Internet service. In my opinion, the Verizon service is much better than satellite hands down. I would choose Verizon over satellite 7 days a week.

However, the pricing structure needs to be more competitive.

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "LTE works great where deployed. iPad 3 plan includes tethering/hotspot"
Bad "Initial activation problems. Disorganized support, slow 3G"
Overall "Despite their shortcomings, happy I selected them over AT&T for my iPad"

·VOIPO
I've held out on purchasing an iPad for a long time. It was a luxury I could never fully justify while having laptop. I'm traveling more these days, and am increasingly finding myself without acceptable internet access. I have an AT&T iPhone; AT&T will not allow me to tether without losing my unlimited plan, even if I wanted to pay for it.

Enter Verizon's decision to enable the new LTE iPad's hotspot free of charge. Now I can enjoy the iPad, but also use it if I need connectivity on my laptop. Now I can just pay Verizon for mobile data when I need it, no matter which device I want to use it on. That's how it should be!

I was also excited to try out Verizon's LTE network that so many have waxed poetic about. I've seen speed tests return as fast as 24mbps down and 15 up! The LTE coverage was amazing on my trip to Oregon. I was covered all the way from the airport into the suburb of Hillsboro, even through a forrest back-road. Unfortunately coverage is not so great back at home. I'm in a very large suburb of Los Angeles with no LTE support. Verizon's 3G absolutely crawls at times, and the signal coverage isn't as good as AT&T's either. I don't expect to use mobile broadband much when I'm near home, but I can't help but wonder how Verizon decides what areas they're going to upgrade. I'm sure it will come soon, they're clearly working very hard on their new network.

While Verizon seems to be aggressive at building advanced networks, they need to take a harder look at their customer experience. It was easy to order service through the iPad device itself, but after my credit card was charged, the data simply stopped working with "Could not activate cellular network". I called into tech support. The agent was pleasant and polite, but had no idea what to do other than walking me through resetting the iPad's network settings (things I'd already tried). He tried to blame it on outages and signal levels, fortunately I was with another friend who also had a Verizon iPad that was working fine to rule that out. He said he'd create a trouble ticket and would call me back to update me with the status. I never got a callback, but it did start working after a few hours.

I later had some trouble accessing my online account. It claimed I was not the "account master" but that my account had no master assigned, and to "click here" to set myself as the master. "Clicking here" took me to a 404 Page Not Found. Called support. Entering my data number transferred me directly to sales. Sales transfers me to tech support, which, after holding, says "You are calling regarding a pre-paid account. Please hang up and call the appropriate department". A major national phone company can't just transfer me to the right place and has to hang up on me? REALLY? I call back, and after waiting on hold for a while, get sales again, who finally transfers me to the right place. That person resets my online account but we got disconnected. He didn't try to contact me, but it worked, so I was just glad to be done with this dumb issue. I used to think AT&T was pretty bad, but in terms of customer service, they're like a well oiled machine compared to this mess.

Overall I'm happy with my choice. After having a taste of their LTE network and how well it can work, I think it will outweigh the pains of dealing with their phone support. It would be nice to get more than 2gb for $30, but it's enough for my purposes.

member for 14.3 years, 6998 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MalibuMaxx See Profile

• Location: Chesterton,Porter,IN
Good "Amazing Speed"
Bad "Cost and Cap"
Overall "If you need internet on the go, this is the way to go"

I walked into a Verizon Wireless store after a failed attempt at ordering a mifi 2200 recert from bestbuy. I figured it would be best to go out and get a 4G model since the 2200 arrived as a failed unit. I was very happy in getting it activated and setup very easily to all my mobile electronics. I got a Mifi 4510L and opted for the 5GB plan. I am writing this review from it and I have to say it is really fast.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1821365058.png

My 4G phone is also about the same speed. A Samsung Stratosphere which also is very good especially at web browsing. It feels like I'm at home when I surf the web. Latency is amazingly low for wireless. Very Impressed thus far!

Update:
»www.speedtest.net/result/1849741400.png

Comments:
LilBambi

drooling over here!

That is totally amazing! I have seen 4G/LTE connection for a client that lives very close to Williamsburg but still in the rural county. They pick up the 4G/LTE across the river.

The speeds are phenomenal! It makes me so green!!!

But as I mentioned on my review today, it's a double edged sword in our case because our monthly bandwidth needs are so great. 21GB for $190.29 is downright scary.

Review by Robotics See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Works flawless 99.7% of the time speed is as advertised"
Bad "Only bad thing I can think of is the 5GB cap (but I dont come close to it)"
Overall "If you cant get cable/fios, this is your best bet for this area. Dont even think of getting satillite"

Knock on wood, I have not had any complaints on this service. I have noted that on rare rare occasions the speed slows down a bit...but it may be the sites I visit.
For this area (Louisa) its the best thing out there if you CANT get Cable. You wont be seeing FIOS out here for a long time (if ever).
I would not suggest even giving the thought of going to Satellite. I know so many people out here that are so mad with their satellite service.

Over all I have suggested to many out here. Its the only thing out here if you cant get cable. Plus you can take it with you. The price seems a bit high, but it beats dial up by a long shot!
I'm very happy.

**UPDATE** 03-08-2012

My review pretty much remains the same as above. Not one complaint, other than maybe the price ($59.95 a month with 5GB cap)
4G LTE is coming to the area, and I know the tower in town is in the process of being upgraded.
The service is very reliable. I cant even remember there being any downtime for this area.
Since cable isn't available in all parts of Louisa, this would be your best bet for internet service hands down.
As stated above, I can not suggest satellite internet. Its slow, lags alot, and cost is a bit high for such little service. And way to many complaints of satellite. (just read any forum).

Over all, you cant beat Verizon wireless for this area. If you cant get cable at your location, then this is the next place to go.
I would suggest you do your homework to make sure you get a decent signal from Verizon before going further. if you get a signal, then your in business.

Comments:

Review by kingfisher See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Has never failed to work acceptably when I needed it"
Bad "I am usually hard wired to the internet so don't use it much"
Overall "Good when traveling and as a backup to my cable internet service"

I use the service by tethering my BlackBerry to my laptop. Serves the purpose for which I obtained it. Performance is acceptable in every geographic location where I have tried it.

January 2009 - Replaced my BlackBerry 7130e with a BlackBerry Storm during the latter part of November 2008. The Storm is Ev-DO Rev. A capable and I have seen download speeds above 2Mbps in testing. My satisfaction with the level of service remains high based on my usage.

March 2010 - I have been spending some time at the home of a relative who doesn't have internet access. Verizon Wireless Broadband is reliable at his home in a small town in Central Florida, although considerably slower than near a bigger city. Far more satisfying than having no Internet access at all. My satisfaction with the service overall is good. I am a good candidate to upgrade to LTE when available.

January 2012 - I have moved from BlackBerry to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. 4G speeds are impressive and the connection remains reliable. Speeds are so good, I am considering dropping my cable internet and using wireless only. At our house, total internet usage has been ~15GB/mo. Although we have two Verizon phones with "unlimited" data, I wonder if there might be repercussions at the 15GB/mo usage level.

member for 7.1 years, 3295 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

I still have my 3G service even though I use wifi when I am at home or at a friends on my iPad. I do tether via iPhone 4 to save 10.00 in case I am somewhere where there is no wifi. My iPhone is always with me so I might at well tether. Wifi at home is the best and most reliable for my pad and phone. I use iPhone grandfathered 3G unlimited data as much as I can as I am paying for this service. No unlimited data for Verizon iPad as they only began selling it in early 2011. Some folks have grandfathered AT&T unlimited plans from iPad 1. Lucky them!!!

Review by dplantz See Profile

• Location: Roslindale,Suffolk,MA
Good "Very Fast with LTE, better upload than my RCN Cable Modem"
Bad "handoffs from 3g to 4g don't work well"
Overall "Very Fast in LTE area"

I Ordered a Mifi device just as Boston was lighting LTE up. I have the 5gig for 50 a month package. I don't use it enough to get the 10 gig for 80 package. The only issue I have is the handoff from 3g to 4g can cause you to need to reboot the device after returning to LTE area to get connectivity again. I see 18+ mbs down and 4+ mbs upload. Low latency also.

member for 14.1 years, 5323 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dbushy See Profile

• Location: Glendive,Dawson,MT
Good "mobile as I travel for my job"
Bad "slow at times--only 3g and paying for 4g"
Overall "fits my needs best at this time"

I am using LG LV-600 modem. It has been very reliable.