Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "1.5 years ago was great. Up to 20MB down at times."
Bad "Periods of unreliability. Down for the last week!"
Overall "Not bad when it works."

The more trouble you have, the more likely VZW is to "let you out of the contract". When did that become an acceptable way to do business?

Had Sprint then Sprint/Millenicom, overlapped with VZW, dumped Sprint, now have VZW and AT&T. Much as I hate the AT&T bureaucracy, at least they work.

Comments:

Review by elitegamer21 See Profile

Good "low latency, reliable and fast."
Bad "None."
Overall "I love this faster than cable/ dsl here."

VZW HomeFusion is great i get speeds close to 50 mb/s D and 14 mb/s up. And low latency and reliable is number 1 things to me homefusion has that easy.

Comments:

Review by logitech See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "They are number one in wireless internet through wireless providers"
Bad "sometimes depending on the time the speeds are a lil doggish even on 4G"
Overall "Every provider has a down fall i dont care who it is!"

for the most part i believe verizon wireless is about the best wireless company around!

Comments:

Review by elitegamer21 See Profile

• Location: Hanceville,Cullman,AL
Good "Very, very fast no downtime at all."
Overall "It rocks i got 40 mbps/ 17 mbps up no downtime, very fast ."

Blows dsl away and right up there with cable. It is very stable/ fast i love it, Glad i got it.

• Location: Palm Harbor,Pinellas,FL
Good "Coverage area"
Bad "Salesmanship"
Overall "Oversold on a contract, withheld vital information from me on the products, alternate plans, etc."

My experience with Verizon is as follows:

Superb, if not one of the best carriers as far as coverage, pretty good on
Customer Service- however, in my most recent encounter with their Reps, under the
guise of "helping me" they tried to sell me what I really didn't need instead of focusing on handling my complaint of inadequate service for the money I was paying. Fortunately, I stood my ground as I learned from my earlier mistakes and my own research.

That said, I would say that their weak point on integrity is their sales
line. I found that they had their own agenda and were not looking out for
my best interest. Specifics follow...

I am a single, middle aged woman and the best for me would have been the
plan I am on now, month to month unlimited voice, text and data for $50 per
month.

Instead I was grossly oversold on a 2 year contract with out-right lies
about the value of the products and service. Note: On contract, I would
have to pay literally 3x the amount, if not more, for the same service I am
getting now.

More specifics... As part of the contract I received an LG phone "free"
valued at $200 or so, had it stolen and a pre-owned replacement cost me
nearly the same. But get this... I just got an LG Revere- very similar
model at Walmart for $15 to initiate my pre-paid plan!

Further.... my contract was upgraded to include a broadband for "free" (valued at $75- but can be purchased for $30 or less elsewhere) that I didn't need. The salesman
neglected to inform me that I could pay a few dollars a month and access Gmail on my cell phone! It was costing me $40 per month until I got wiseto it.

On top of that I was assessed a contract breakage fee- approx $150! I now have yet another fee to pay due to ending my overall contract 2 months early- $70. But I went with it anyway as it cost me less in the long run to switch to the month to month plan.

Overall, I estimate their questionable sales tactics lost me at least $1000, if not $1500.

I'm not happy in the least and told them so and have not only asked for my
fee to be waived, but to compensated for this awful, costly experience.

KMR

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

John Lenihan

@bhn.net

Verizon

Mail a short letter (or use their online form) to

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
P.O. Box 4503
Iowa City, Iowa 52244

and tell them the story. No guarantees, but they usually try to be helpful.

Review by T4K See Profile

• Location: Roach,Camden,MO
Good "3G customer now a 4G customer"
Bad "Signal could be better for 4G"
Overall "Finally high speed!"

Been a loyal customer with them for over 8 years. I'm so happy that they deployed 4G in the area TODAY. The speeds are pretty amazing. Even for just having 2bars. 8mbits/5mbits. Which is a lot better then what it use to be.

Why is my bill so high? Extra phones and data card... Everything Grandfathered in unlimited plan.

Comments:

ChristopherZ

@telepacific.net

Verizon broadband card doesn't work well

I travel a lot for business and I got a Verizon broadband card to help me be more efficient on the road and avoid paying for internet service in hotels.

Great in concept, but unfortunately the Verizon broadband card doesn't work very well or at all in most places. Here is a list of places where I personally experienced the Verizon card not working:

Airports: San Francisco airport, Burbank airport, Chicago O'Hare airport, Washington Dulles airport, JFK New York airport, and Denver airport.

Hotels: Park Lane Hotel in NYC (at Central Park), Essex House Hotel in NYC (also at Central Park), Willard Hotel in Washington DC, Westin Hotel in Denver, North Fork Ranch in Colorado, Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago (downtown near the lake).

This is a LOT of places for a supposed 4G service to not work! I finally lost patience with them and cancelled my service. For being a loyal customer and paying my bill on time each month for a service that did not work, Verizon charged me a $130 cancellation fee on my way out the door.

Not a great customer experience at all.
T4K

join:2002-03-13
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: Verizon broadband card doesn't work well

Which verizon card? I'm using the one that's inside a dell laptop. From that list I've been to 4 of those airports and haven't had any problem at all.

Review by shortfilmguy See Profile

• Location: Troup,Smith,TX
Good "Very Fast"
Bad "Expensive. Has 30gb cap"
Overall "great if you have no other options"

I ordered and they installed the next day (homefusion). Installer was nice and got everything installed and working.

• Location: 85118
Good "Enabled me to get rid of cable internet bill"
Bad "Sometimes, maybe 10%, is only 5 meg down."
Overall "Well worth the $$$"

Verizon Wireless 4G LTE
I typically get 15 to 20 meg down and 10 up through my Droid Razr Maxx.
A little less when I use the phone as a mobil hotspot for my PC or laptop.
Best regards,

Tony

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by LilBambi See Profile

• Location: Dendron,Surry,VA
Good "When it works right it is a dream to use; Excellent bandwidth"
Bad "COST is outrageous for ONLY viable broadband solution"
Overall "VERY EASY to go over cap. $80/mo plus $10/GB over for 3G MiFi"

We live in a small town in a rural county of Virginia, within 14 miles of Williamsburg, VA across the James River.

As you see from the monthly cost, on average, it's approx $80/mo IF YOU NEVER GO OVER YOUR 10GB CAP.

For many people not going over that 10GB cap would be easy.

For us it is VERY EASY to go over and to do it in a big way without watching any movies or TV shows. Since nearly a year ago when we got our MiFi -- which by the way was way cheaper than the previous solution of two USB devices with 5GB caps on each and so much per MB over that! -- we have tried to keep to the 10GB and sometimes we succeeded and often we went over a couple GB.

Recently there has been more remote session work due to gas prices being so high, and more website work. All of which is great news BTW. It saves on gasoline and wear and tear on the car, and wear and tear on me and my time, however, our bandwidth has gone up accordingly. So I am not at all sure there is ANY savings at all, and maybe it's actually worse on costs if truth be told.

We have a business where we work on computers in homes and here in the shop. Many times there are lots of updates to get for not only our own computers but for clients as well. We have to download updates for plugins, browsers, software, etc. all the time to keep up to date. We download ISOs for diagnostics and Linux computers, we do remote assistance for clients, and website design and hosting.

With both home and business bandwidth needs, it is very easy to go over. Particularly with remote sessions for my business and website work. NOTE: We do not watch any movies online, or TV shows as much as we would love to do so.

At the end of April, on our last Verizon Wireless Broadband bill Verizon Wireless Broadband Internet was $190.29. This was ONLY for the Internet. Cellphone costs were on top of that.

Verizon Wireless broadband service is excellent, or at least most of the time, as long as you can find a place in your home to get a constant signal. And IF THEY DON'T GO MOVING THE ANTENNA ON YOU AFTER THEY GOT YOU ON THE HOOK FOR ANOTHER 2 YEAR CONTRACT!

Now that they have moved the antenna, we ended up having to put it on top of a hutch on the second floor northwest corner of the house to get it to be constant now. NOW THEY SAY WE ARE ON THE FRINGE. We can see the tower across the field. But we are on the fringe. Unbelievable.

It used to work anywhere in the house, but apparently from what was said, even though this is our ONLY viable 'broadband' option for our home and business needs -- which are granted intense by comparison to the average user due to my online business needs -- they have moved their antenna on the very close tower (within a mile across a field) so it no longer faces us and is no longer full bars for us.In fact, it still goes down for us several times a day and reconnects even in our best location now. But when it is working...

When it is working, the service bandwidth and throughput is absolutely amazing! And we are just on their 3G.

We really need a 4G LTE tower near us and hopefully it will be soon since we really have no other choices.

HughesNet is not ready for prime time and throttled which would be totally useless for my business purposes

AT&T and Sprint towers are either too far away or slow to nearly dialup speeds on GSM only -- no 3G or 4G at all for literally many miles; even more miles away than Verizon's 3G network's close tower that we connect to, and at least as far away as Verizon's 4G/LTE over in Wiliamsburg for comparable 4G.

Customer Service is outstanding, especially once they get you to a higher tier engineer tech. They really do try to help the situation. Unfortunately, there is only so much they can do in my case, now that Verizon has re-aimed the antenna on the tower to accommodate more users (which I do understand btw, but understanding doesn't fix my problem now does it?) instead of adding another 3G antenna or changing over to 4G LTE which is coming but WHEN!!!??!

But even if 4G/LTE and 4G/LTE HomeFusion (SM) Broadband does come, which would be our best possible solution which is best case is still $120 for 30GB and provides:

* Fast Internet access with average speeds of 5 - 12 Mbps download and 2 - 5 Mbps upload
* Wi-Fi connectivity for up to 20 devices
* Wired (Ethernet) connectivity for up to 4 devices
* Up to 5 email accounts included

Overages will still be $10/GB over the 30GB so we will still have to be closely watching our bandwidth. And still no movies or TV shows online. Or much of anything in the Cloud either such as backups, syncs, etc. Audio books, TED video or remote video classes at the colleges.

But it is certainly better than $190.29 for 21GB of data for the month and that was watching it closely!

I love the bandwidth throughput when Verizon Wireless is working well for us, but even so, it's a double edged sword. The faster it comes down, the quicker we hit our cap....

Comments:
LilBambi

join:2004-08-16
USA

Time to let the air out of my shoes and learn to play flute

As if my Verizon Wireless bill wasn't bad enough in my review ... what is this crap!!!!!

In Less Than 1 Year Verizon Data Goes from $30/Unlimited to $50/1GB

By Michael Weinberg | June 12, 2012

»www.publicknowledge.org/blog/les···ited-501

Read it and weep. I am...
LilBambi

join:2004-08-16
USA

Sigh...

@Wired asked if it was just me, or does everybody think mobile broadband pricing is a joke referring to this article:

»www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/···lickthru

===

Oh, yea. I am fairly certain mobile broadband pricing is a joke. I'm living it.

The Share Everything Plans anger me too because, it was only a few months that I got a new phone (feature phone) again, to keep data costs down due to the costs on my already too high Verizon bill due mainly to mobile broadband (via MiFi only) currently.

Oh, and let's not forget they still are maxing out at 10GB, oh, wait, there's the 'easy on the pocketbook $10 per every 2GB' (truthfully, that is an improvement btw over the $10/1GB that I am currently paying).

The recommendation page for my two basic phones, which I assume since they are not smartphones and basic phones are the only other option on the page, and a MiFi shows:

We Recommend

10GB

Shared Data

Unlimited Talk & Text

Monthly Access*

$180

Verizon Wireless data devices average between 1 and 2 GBs of data a month.

*Does not include taxes and surcharges

Using the 21GB data used on the bill from my Verizon a few months ago, that would be:

$180 shared data, unlimited talk & text.
$ 60 $10/2GB over approx.
$240/mo. *Does not include taxes and surcharges.

It would actually save me some money on my current system BUT! IF I HAD TWO SMART PHONES THAT SAME SCENARIO WOULD BE:

We Recommend

10GB

Shared Data

Unlimited Talk & Text

Monthly Access*

$200

Verizon Wireless data devices average between 1 and 2 GBs of data a month.

*Does not include taxes and surcharges

$200 shared data, unlimited talk & text.
$ 60 $10/2GB over approx.
$260/mo. *Does not include taxes and surcharges.

SIGH...

Review by bkwyatt98 See Profile

• Location: Martinsville,Martinsville City,VA
Good "LTE is extremly fast for any wireless service."
Bad "10 GB caps make me laugh no heavy internet user can deal with that."
Overall "Good if your on the road or live in a rural area it will beat DSl or satellite."

I had the Pantech UML 290 I had around 20 mbps downlink and 10 uplink. If Verizon would offer a 100GB plan for their home fusion or even mobile broadband at a price of no more than 140 a month I would diffidently sign up for service again. The speeds for people in rural areas are fantastic compared to 1.5 mbps DSL. However on average I use no less than 40GB a month so even the 30GB plan for home fusion is not a option for me. If caps do not scare you off and if you only have slow DSL or worse Hughes net. You will be happy with Verizon's super fast LTE network.