Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by bkwyatt98 See Profile

• Location: Martinsville,Martinsville City,VA
Good "LTE is extremly fast for any wireless service."
Bad "10 GB caps make me laugh no heavy internet user can deal with that."
Overall "Good if your on the road or live in a rural area it will beat DSl or satellite."

I had the Pantech UML 290 I had around 20 mbps downlink and 10 uplink. If Verizon would offer a 100GB plan for their home fusion or even mobile broadband at a price of no more than 140 a month I would diffidently sign up for service again. The speeds for people in rural areas are fantastic compared to 1.5 mbps DSL. However on average I use no less than 40GB a month so even the 30GB plan for home fusion is not a option for me. If caps do not scare you off and if you only have slow DSL or worse Hughes net. You will be happy with Verizon's super fast LTE network.

Comments:

Review by str8jacket See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Simple install of drivers and software to computer, device auto-detected and ready to go!"
Bad "Propietary software (drivers) and hardware (USB cable) required."
Overall "70kbps connection from my cell phone, not bad."

phone only supports 1XRTT, so no choice.

member for 12.1 years, 1476 visits, last login: 178 days ago

Comments:

Review by Vince_C See Profile

• Location: Grayson,Caldwell,LA
Good "Easy to install and use, and it functions well."
Bad "Overpriced and bandwidth capped service."
Overall "When it's the only real option you have for a decent connection, it's a must have service."

I live in an area where there are only two real choices for Internet service. In my opinion, the Verizon service is much better than satellite hands down. I would choose Verizon over satellite 7 days a week.

However, the pricing structure needs to be more competitive.

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "LTE works great where deployed. iPad 3 plan includes tethering/hotspot"
Bad "Initial activation problems. Disorganized support, slow 3G"
Overall "Despite their shortcomings, happy I selected them over AT&T for my iPad"

·VOIPO
I've held out on purchasing an iPad for a long time. It was a luxury I could never fully justify while having laptop. I'm traveling more these days, and am increasingly finding myself without acceptable internet access. I have an AT&T iPhone; AT&T will not allow me to tether without losing my unlimited plan, even if I wanted to pay for it.

Enter Verizon's decision to enable the new LTE iPad's hotspot free of charge. Now I can enjoy the iPad, but also use it if I need connectivity on my laptop. Now I can just pay Verizon for mobile data when I need it, no matter which device I want to use it on. That's how it should be!

I was also excited to try out Verizon's LTE network that so many have waxed poetic about. I've seen speed tests return as fast as 24mbps down and 15 up! The LTE coverage was amazing on my trip to Oregon. I was covered all the way from the airport into the suburb of Hillsboro, even through a forrest back-road. Unfortunately coverage is not so great back at home. I'm in a very large suburb of Los Angeles with no LTE support. Verizon's 3G absolutely crawls at times, and the signal coverage isn't as good as AT&T's either. I don't expect to use mobile broadband much when I'm near home, but I can't help but wonder how Verizon decides what areas they're going to upgrade. I'm sure it will come soon, they're clearly working very hard on their new network.

While Verizon seems to be aggressive at building advanced networks, they need to take a harder look at their customer experience. It was easy to order service through the iPad device itself, but after my credit card was charged, the data simply stopped working with "Could not activate cellular network". I called into tech support. The agent was pleasant and polite, but had no idea what to do other than walking me through resetting the iPad's network settings (things I'd already tried). He tried to blame it on outages and signal levels, fortunately I was with another friend who also had a Verizon iPad that was working fine to rule that out. He said he'd create a trouble ticket and would call me back to update me with the status. I never got a callback, but it did start working after a few hours.

I later had some trouble accessing my online account. It claimed I was not the "account master" but that my account had no master assigned, and to "click here" to set myself as the master. "Clicking here" took me to a 404 Page Not Found. Called support. Entering my data number transferred me directly to sales. Sales transfers me to tech support, which, after holding, says "You are calling regarding a pre-paid account. Please hang up and call the appropriate department". A major national phone company can't just transfer me to the right place and has to hang up on me? REALLY? I call back, and after waiting on hold for a while, get sales again, who finally transfers me to the right place. That person resets my online account but we got disconnected. He didn't try to contact me, but it worked, so I was just glad to be done with this dumb issue. I used to think AT&T was pretty bad, but in terms of customer service, they're like a well oiled machine compared to this mess.

Overall I'm happy with my choice. After having a taste of their LTE network and how well it can work, I think it will outweigh the pains of dealing with their phone support. It would be nice to get more than 2gb for $30, but it's enough for my purposes.

member for 14.7 years, 7216 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by MalibuMaxx See Profile

• Location: Chesterton,Porter,IN
Good "Amazing Speed"
Bad "Cost and Cap"
Overall "If you need internet on the go, this is the way to go"

I walked into a Verizon Wireless store after a failed attempt at ordering a mifi 2200 recert from bestbuy. I figured it would be best to go out and get a 4G model since the 2200 arrived as a failed unit. I was very happy in getting it activated and setup very easily to all my mobile electronics. I got a Mifi 4510L and opted for the 5GB plan. I am writing this review from it and I have to say it is really fast.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1821365 ··· 5058.png

My 4G phone is also about the same speed. A Samsung Stratosphere which also is very good especially at web browsing. It feels like I'm at home when I surf the web. Latency is amazingly low for wireless. Very Impressed thus far!

Update:
»www.speedtest.net/result/1849741 ··· 1400.png

Comments:

Review by dplantz See Profile

• Location: Roslindale,Suffolk,MA
Good "Very Fast with LTE, better upload than my RCN Cable Modem"
Bad "handoffs from 3g to 4g don't work well"
Overall "Very Fast in LTE area"

I Ordered a Mifi device just as Boston was lighting LTE up. I have the 5gig for 50 a month package. I don't use it enough to get the 10 gig for 80 package. The only issue I have is the handoff from 3g to 4g can cause you to need to reboot the device after returning to LTE area to get connectivity again. I see 18+ mbs down and 4+ mbs upload. Low latency also.

member for 14.5 years, 5474 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dbushy See Profile

• Location: Glendive,Dawson,MT
Good "mobile as I travel for my job"
Bad "slow at times--only 3g and paying for 4g"
Overall "fits my needs best at this time"

I am using LG LV-600 modem. It has been very reliable.

Comments:

Review by DrDubious See Profile

• Location: Olean,Cattaraugus,NY
Good "When it works, it's good: Comparable to DSL"
Bad "Expensive; Random terrible latency; Random connection loss."
Overall "If you can't get anything else, it's better than satellite. Watch Cap."

Verizon is the ONLY service available beside satellite in this area.
Speed is slow, cost is high and customer service is awful.
Maximum speed is between 700k and 2meg down/800k up. Latency runs from 100ms to over 500ms, sometimes 700-800ms. Service stops completely at least once a day, usually around midnight.
10GB cap is easily exceeded with typical internet usage and moderate gaming and software updates. No heavy downloads or file-sharing.

Comments:

Review by dmc271 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Fast LTE speeds most times"
Bad "Signal can be unreliable; sometime disconnects"
Overall "A viable option if you don't have a wired connection"

LTE can be both very fast and very slow, depending on the time of day. At its best, I get speeds up to 20 Mbps. At its worst (during some peak times), my speeds have dropped to as low as 1.5 Mbps and ping times worse than dialup (400+ ms; though, see my update below). This is with a UML290 aircard.

Overall, 4G is still much, much better than the WISP that I was using previously. If you're like me and don't have access to a wired connection, keep 4G LTE in mind, but do some thorough speed and ping tests during your 14-day trial.

Update December 2011:The manager of the local VZW store sent a local tech to investigate the issue. It was corrected, and the speeds are now consistently high. I always keep my eye on the speeds now. In fact, I waste much of my quota just running speed tests!

Comments:

Review by jlibuszowski See Profile

• Location: Hoffman Estates,Cook,IL
Good "fantastic connection,great customer support, works well even in rural areas, or urban areas"
Bad "none"
Overall "cdma by nature (which is what Verizon uses) is better than GSM in rural and urban areas"

AT&T wireless - it didn't work since it is in a rural area by a lake.
Clear 4G- Would work, but at the time, we needed unlimited voice minutes, and also the phone to work in Datacenters and hosting companies in downtown chicago and also in rural areas, which strictly a 4G device may not have worked.

3g Verizon service. It was already setup on a corporate blackberry and works well. Monthly cost is about $130/month.

Customer support is picked up by a live person the 1st time you call. And it works hands down.