Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Robotics See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Works flawless 99.7% of the time speed is as advertised"
Bad "Only bad thing I can think of is the 5GB cap (but I dont come close to it)"
Overall "If you cant get cable/fios, this is your best bet for this area. Dont even think of getting satillite"

Knock on wood, I have not had any complaints on this service. I have noted that on rare rare occasions the speed slows down a bit...but it may be the sites I visit.
For this area (Louisa) its the best thing out there if you CANT get Cable. You wont be seeing FIOS out here for a long time (if ever).
I would not suggest even giving the thought of going to Satellite. I know so many people out here that are so mad with their satellite service.

Over all I have suggested to many out here. Its the only thing out here if you cant get cable. Plus you can take it with you. The price seems a bit high, but it beats dial up by a long shot!
I'm very happy.

**UPDATE** 03-08-2012

My review pretty much remains the same as above. Not one complaint, other than maybe the price ($59.95 a month with 5GB cap)
4G LTE is coming to the area, and I know the tower in town is in the process of being upgraded.
The service is very reliable. I cant even remember there being any downtime for this area.
Since cable isn't available in all parts of Louisa, this would be your best bet for internet service hands down.
As stated above, I can not suggest satellite internet. Its slow, lags alot, and cost is a bit high for such little service. And way to many complaints of satellite. (just read any forum).

Over all, you cant beat Verizon wireless for this area. If you cant get cable at your location, then this is the next place to go.
I would suggest you do your homework to make sure you get a decent signal from Verizon before going further. if you get a signal, then your in business.

member for 11 years, 2501 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dplantz See Profile

• Location: Roslindale,Suffolk,MA
Good "Very Fast with LTE, better upload than my RCN Cable Modem"
Bad "handoffs from 3g to 4g don't work well"
Overall "Very Fast in LTE area"

I Ordered a Mifi device just as Boston was lighting LTE up. I have the 5gig for 50 a month package. I don't use it enough to get the 10 gig for 80 package. The only issue I have is the handoff from 3g to 4g can cause you to need to reboot the device after returning to LTE area to get connectivity again. I see 18+ mbs down and 4+ mbs upload. Low latency also.

Comments:

Review by dbushy See Profile

• Location: Glendive,Dawson,MT
Good "mobile as I travel for my job"
Bad "slow at times--only 3g and paying for 4g"
Overall "fits my needs best at this time"

I am using LG LV-600 modem. It has been very reliable.

Comments:

Review by DrDubious See Profile

• Location: Olean,Cattaraugus,NY
Good "When it works, it's good: Comparable to DSL"
Bad "Expensive; Random terrible latency; Random connection loss."
Overall "If you can't get anything else, it's better than satellite. Watch Cap."

Verizon is the ONLY service available beside satellite in this area.
Speed is slow, cost is high and customer service is awful.
Maximum speed is between 700k and 2meg down/800k up. Latency runs from 100ms to over 500ms, sometimes 700-800ms. Service stops completely at least once a day, usually around midnight.
10GB cap is easily exceeded with typical internet usage and moderate gaming and software updates. No heavy downloads or file-sharing.

member for 12.7 years, 1268 visits, last login: 114 days ago

Comments:

Review by dmc271 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Fast LTE speeds most times"
Bad "Signal can be unreliable; sometime disconnects"
Overall "A viable option if you don't have a wired connection"

LTE can be both very fast and very slow, depending on the time of day. At its best, I get speeds up to 20 Mbps. At its worst (during some peak times), my speeds have dropped to as low as 1.5 Mbps and ping times worse than dialup (400+ ms; though, see my update below). This is with a UML290 aircard.

Overall, 4G is still much, much better than the WISP that I was using previously. If you're like me and don't have access to a wired connection, keep 4G LTE in mind, but do some thorough speed and ping tests during your 14-day trial.

Update December 2011:The manager of the local VZW store sent a local tech to investigate the issue. It was corrected, and the speeds are now consistently high. I always keep my eye on the speeds now. In fact, I waste much of my quota just running speed tests!

member for 6.2 years, 1202 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jlibuszowski See Profile

• Location: Hoffman Estates,Cook,IL
Good "fantastic connection,great customer support, works well even in rural areas, or urban areas"
Bad "none"
Overall "cdma by nature (which is what Verizon uses) is better than GSM in rural and urban areas"

AT&T wireless - it didn't work since it is in a rural area by a lake.
Clear 4G- Would work, but at the time, we needed unlimited voice minutes, and also the phone to work in Datacenters and hosting companies in downtown chicago and also in rural areas, which strictly a 4G device may not have worked.

3g Verizon service. It was already setup on a corporate blackberry and works well. Monthly cost is about $130/month.

Customer support is picked up by a live person the 1st time you call. And it works hands down.

Comments:

Review by deadheadrjp See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Placer,CA
Good "Excellent signal in my local rural region - even my very remote fishing spots"
Bad "Tethering $; No Data-Only option; no unlimited data on new #s"
Overall "Only carrier to cover almost all of the rural areas that I frequent; a little too costly, but good service"

4gLTE is excellent in my area. I have been a Verizon Wireless customer since its network was owned by the CellularOne company (first in this area in 1990s and I had a bag-phone initially).

For a time AT&T Wireless owned this network, but now Verizon Wireless does. The current AT&T wireless (as of my writing this) is not the same network that the old AT&T Wireless was on (current AT&T Wireless bought Cingular and is looking to expand with more companies now).

When 4gLTE isn't covered, I get good 3g coverage (first a Droid-X; now a Droid-Charge) - and even my 3g signals are good enough speeds for Netflix as transportation passenger, etc. in most areas I frequent.

I wish that I could drop my VZW Voice Plan & just keep my grandfathered unlimited plan - and also dropping the extra $30 for tethering un-rooted would be nice, since I am not the richest person in the world. I could use a VoIP service on my Android phone - and I would look to VZW for any VoIP plans first; so, I would agree to still keep me paying some sort of fee for Voice Plan, but hopefully if they started a VoIP offering of their own if would be better value than the current Voice Plan Minutes structures\offerings. Even if they didn't want to venture into VoIP service of their own, it would be nice if I could keep my account as data only plan, use tethering & VoIP for voice and of course use video calls via 4gLTE\3g.

I could have bought my Xoom without any contract discount, and that would save me its $30 limited (since new account) data plan, since I connect it to 4gLTE unlimited VZW via my phone's tethering wifi VZW plan - but, I can't really complain about that because my Xoom was 1) Fairly well priced with "Black Friday Discount" and 2) Promotional Code found via Google; and 3) Discount for being "Upgrade Eligible," instead of # listed by VZW as "Full Price; Eligible for Discount on ______."

So all in all, my option is either excellent Xoom VZW price (but, with $30\month for 2GB Xoom 4gLTE Data Plan, when I really just want to connect to 4gLTE via WiFi to Droid-Charge with the Unlimited Data Plan); or, if not that situation, I could pay Xoom or other tablet full VZW price, or price from somewhere else perhaps with sale & no contract - and then connect that way without VZW Data Plan for the Tablet and just WiFi to Droid-Charge; but, then again, I doubt I could find that sort of heavy discounted deal anywhere else, as I found on that particular day from VZW itself, in order to add a Tablet to my VZW account (even with its additional required contract for $30\month for lowly 2GB data\month).

So, to recap:

1) I'd be really, really happy if VZW started offering Data Only billing option for Tablets & Smartphones; and they should perhaps consider themselves starting a VoIP service to add, or let someone pick Gmail, or Skype - for access to traditional phone system.

2) Also, I wish this tethering $30\month fee required for mobile wifi would be lowered, or eliminated again. That being said, their service is excellent; I would have no coverage in over half of my regular locations, if I picked any of their current competitors' networks (as of me typing this, 12-10-2011).

3) It would be nice if my Xoom didn't require a data plan and just use WiFi to connect to tethered phone for 4gLTW & 3g; but then again as I mentioned, I wouldn't have been able to get this Xoom for nearly-free via VZW.

4) Essentially, this VZW 4gLTE speed, service and coverage for my area is good enough for me to drop my home internet service, if I lived alone and there were not others needing to use internet, while I am away from the house with the required hotspot-creating 4gLTE phone.

* GENERAL GRIPE: New customers that aren't fortunate enough as myself to have "grandfathered" VZW Unlimited Data Plans, are really being taken to the woodshed, with these $30 for 2gb or 4gb Data Plans. One family road trip (even a simple day-trip) would totally cap your monthly Data limits and create huge overage charges, if you passengers watched more than two, or so Netflix streamed movies in the vehicle\during your trip.

* GENERAL ADVICE FOR VZW: Bring back unlimited data for new #s - or, at least better plans, since many people get Tablets for streaming mobile media (data); keep expanding 4gLTE & beyond; look at marketing possibilities & business plans that don't make VZW look so greedy & emphasize the superior coverage in many regions.

* GENERAL ADVICE FOR CONSUMERS: Check for carriers with unlimited data plans that are available to you, but be sure to compare coverage maps, for the areas you'll most be needing service\signal in. Additionally, you may want to consider setting up VPN connection, for your 3g\4gLTE\data; better privacy, especially good for better privacy using mobile carriers as WANs.

UPDATE, 12-11-11 - Here's a speed test that is about average, but an area with a "Fair" 4gLTE signal and WiFi-tethered to a Win7 laptop: »www.speedtest.net/result/1642514171.png ...(it does burst higher in this location)...

Comments:

Review by Fotch1 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Racine,WI
Good "4 to 5 times faster than Sprint Wireless that I just dumped after 5yrs."
Bad "None at this time. Should of got rid of Sprint sooner."
Overall "Less costly, really really fast compared to Sprint"

Sprint started out being faster but each year it got slower and slower and s l o w e r, so even though I had unlimited use, even if I worked round the clock, I could not get close even if I had a cap. Sprint was usually around 250k download, 80 up, fastest lately at 500k down, 150k up. Verizon is running about 1.5 to 2M down, 400k up. Ping time is 1/3 of Sprints.

And no contract, purchased USB MIFI off of Ebay for $20, and now month to month at $50. Huge improvement. Maybe switch my 3 cell phones over from US Cellular to Verizon. I am looking forward to 4G if they eventually do SE WI.

Wish I would of done this sooner.

Comments:

Review by roll1320 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "4g is great when you can connect"
Bad "Red map may be smaller than it looks. Tech just ordered 3rd air card."
Overall "May be going back to 3g for reliability"

Let me preface this report by saying we travel several months a year and use the air card for mobile connection, usually our only connection. Our 3G card (Pantech 190, $60/mo.) was bulletproof. If there was a signal, there was a connection. When in weak signal areas, we use an external antenna which usually doubles the signal. And now on to the 4G (Pantech 290, $50/mo.) card.

Well, tech support is very...supportive but. It took a WEEK for my first 4G connection to work in a 4G area where we "upgraded" from our 3G air card. Worked at the store, not at "home" in the RV. 4G connect speeds have been up to 9.6/4.4 when the card was new to .3/.1 with disconnects with an old/failing card.

Within two weeks of purchase, the first card failed, first by becoming more signal critical and then by refusing to connect at all. Card replaced. Error statements were "sim card failure" and 2001, 2002, and 2003 error codes.

New card (#2). Failure after about 4 weeks. Same failure mode. New card (#3) "in the mail". After 30 days, the stores won't exchange a card. You have to get one shipped from (Texas?). So if you are on the road traveling, being somewhere predictable to get mail is problematic.

If the #3 card fails, back to 3g. I am tired of being the engineering test department.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Glad I have unlimited data. LTE rocks!"
Bad "Data drops more frequent than before"
Overall "Don't bother with the new $30 plan unless you're using a Blackberry..."

I have had a smartphone for the last 2 years... 3G is ok but I've been experiencing slow downs. I switched to a Bionic and the LTE is wickedly fast compared to 3G. I normally get 8mb download and 7 up. On 3G, I only get about 1 up and down. I was able to keep my unlimited smartphone data plan and it is discounted to $24 per month on the bill