Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by DrDubious See Profile

• Location: Olean,Cattaraugus,NY
Good "When it works, it's good: Comparable to DSL"
Bad "Expensive; Random terrible latency; Random connection loss."
Overall "If you can't get anything else, it's better than satellite. Watch Cap."

Verizon is the ONLY service available beside satellite in this area.
Speed is slow, cost is high and customer service is awful.
Maximum speed is between 700k and 2meg down/800k up. Latency runs from 100ms to over 500ms, sometimes 700-800ms. Service stops completely at least once a day, usually around midnight.
10GB cap is easily exceeded with typical internet usage and moderate gaming and software updates. No heavy downloads or file-sharing.

Comments:

Review by dmc271 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Fast LTE speeds most times"
Bad "Signal can be unreliable; sometime disconnects"
Overall "A viable option if you don't have a wired connection"

LTE can be both very fast and very slow, depending on the time of day. At its best, I get speeds up to 20 Mbps. At its worst (during some peak times), my speeds have dropped to as low as 1.5 Mbps and ping times worse than dialup (400+ ms; though, see my update below). This is with a UML290 aircard.

Overall, 4G is still much, much better than the WISP that I was using previously. If you're like me and don't have access to a wired connection, keep 4G LTE in mind, but do some thorough speed and ping tests during your 14-day trial.

Update December 2011:The manager of the local VZW store sent a local tech to investigate the issue. It was corrected, and the speeds are now consistently high. I always keep my eye on the speeds now. In fact, I waste much of my quota just running speed tests!

member for 5.9 years, 1129 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jlibuszowski See Profile

• Location: Hoffman Estates,Cook,IL
Good "fantastic connection,great customer support, works well even in rural areas, or urban areas"
Bad "none"
Overall "cdma by nature (which is what Verizon uses) is better than GSM in rural and urban areas"

AT&T wireless - it didn't work since it is in a rural area by a lake.
Clear 4G- Would work, but at the time, we needed unlimited voice minutes, and also the phone to work in Datacenters and hosting companies in downtown chicago and also in rural areas, which strictly a 4G device may not have worked.

3g Verizon service. It was already setup on a corporate blackberry and works well. Monthly cost is about $130/month.

Customer support is picked up by a live person the 1st time you call. And it works hands down.

Comments:

Review by deadheadrjp See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Placer,CA
Good "Excellent signal in my local rural region - even my very remote fishing spots"
Bad "Tethering $; No Data-Only option; no unlimited data on new #s"
Overall "Only carrier to cover almost all of the rural areas that I frequent; a little too costly, but good service"

4gLTE is excellent in my area. I have been a Verizon Wireless customer since its network was owned by the CellularOne company (first in this area in 1990s and I had a bag-phone initially).

For a time AT&T Wireless owned this network, but now Verizon Wireless does. The current AT&T wireless (as of my writing this) is not the same network that the old AT&T Wireless was on (current AT&T Wireless bought Cingular and is looking to expand with more companies now).

When 4gLTE isn't covered, I get good 3g coverage (first a Droid-X; now a Droid-Charge) - and even my 3g signals are good enough speeds for Netflix as transportation passenger, etc. in most areas I frequent.

I wish that I could drop my VZW Voice Plan & just keep my grandfathered unlimited plan - and also dropping the extra $30 for tethering un-rooted would be nice, since I am not the richest person in the world. I could use a VoIP service on my Android phone - and I would look to VZW for any VoIP plans first; so, I would agree to still keep me paying some sort of fee for Voice Plan, but hopefully if they started a VoIP offering of their own if would be better value than the current Voice Plan Minutes structures\offerings. Even if they didn't want to venture into VoIP service of their own, it would be nice if I could keep my account as data only plan, use tethering & VoIP for voice and of course use video calls via 4gLTE\3g.

I could have bought my Xoom without any contract discount, and that would save me its $30 limited (since new account) data plan, since I connect it to 4gLTE unlimited VZW via my phone's tethering wifi VZW plan - but, I can't really complain about that because my Xoom was 1) Fairly well priced with "Black Friday Discount" and 2) Promotional Code found via Google; and 3) Discount for being "Upgrade Eligible," instead of # listed by VZW as "Full Price; Eligible for Discount on ______."

So all in all, my option is either excellent Xoom VZW price (but, with $30\month for 2GB Xoom 4gLTE Data Plan, when I really just want to connect to 4gLTE via WiFi to Droid-Charge with the Unlimited Data Plan); or, if not that situation, I could pay Xoom or other tablet full VZW price, or price from somewhere else perhaps with sale & no contract - and then connect that way without VZW Data Plan for the Tablet and just WiFi to Droid-Charge; but, then again, I doubt I could find that sort of heavy discounted deal anywhere else, as I found on that particular day from VZW itself, in order to add a Tablet to my VZW account (even with its additional required contract for $30\month for lowly 2GB data\month).

So, to recap:

1) I'd be really, really happy if VZW started offering Data Only billing option for Tablets & Smartphones; and they should perhaps consider themselves starting a VoIP service to add, or let someone pick Gmail, or Skype - for access to traditional phone system.

2) Also, I wish this tethering $30\month fee required for mobile wifi would be lowered, or eliminated again. That being said, their service is excellent; I would have no coverage in over half of my regular locations, if I picked any of their current competitors' networks (as of me typing this, 12-10-2011).

3) It would be nice if my Xoom didn't require a data plan and just use WiFi to connect to tethered phone for 4gLTW & 3g; but then again as I mentioned, I wouldn't have been able to get this Xoom for nearly-free via VZW.

4) Essentially, this VZW 4gLTE speed, service and coverage for my area is good enough for me to drop my home internet service, if I lived alone and there were not others needing to use internet, while I am away from the house with the required hotspot-creating 4gLTE phone.

* GENERAL GRIPE: New customers that aren't fortunate enough as myself to have "grandfathered" VZW Unlimited Data Plans, are really being taken to the woodshed, with these $30 for 2gb or 4gb Data Plans. One family road trip (even a simple day-trip) would totally cap your monthly Data limits and create huge overage charges, if you passengers watched more than two, or so Netflix streamed movies in the vehicle\during your trip.

* GENERAL ADVICE FOR VZW: Bring back unlimited data for new #s - or, at least better plans, since many people get Tablets for streaming mobile media (data); keep expanding 4gLTE & beyond; look at marketing possibilities & business plans that don't make VZW look so greedy & emphasize the superior coverage in many regions.

* GENERAL ADVICE FOR CONSUMERS: Check for carriers with unlimited data plans that are available to you, but be sure to compare coverage maps, for the areas you'll most be needing service\signal in. Additionally, you may want to consider setting up VPN connection, for your 3g\4gLTE\data; better privacy, especially good for better privacy using mobile carriers as WANs.

UPDATE, 12-11-11 - Here's a speed test that is about average, but an area with a "Fair" 4gLTE signal and WiFi-tethered to a Win7 laptop: »www.speedtest.net/result/1642514171.png ...(it does burst higher in this location)...

Comments:

Review by Fotch1 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Racine,WI
Good "4 to 5 times faster than Sprint Wireless that I just dumped after 5yrs."
Bad "None at this time. Should of got rid of Sprint sooner."
Overall "Less costly, really really fast compared to Sprint"

Sprint started out being faster but each year it got slower and slower and s l o w e r, so even though I had unlimited use, even if I worked round the clock, I could not get close even if I had a cap. Sprint was usually around 250k download, 80 up, fastest lately at 500k down, 150k up. Verizon is running about 1.5 to 2M down, 400k up. Ping time is 1/3 of Sprints.

And no contract, purchased USB MIFI off of Ebay for $20, and now month to month at $50. Huge improvement. Maybe switch my 3 cell phones over from US Cellular to Verizon. I am looking forward to 4G if they eventually do SE WI.

Wish I would of done this sooner.

Comments:

Review by roll1320 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "4g is great when you can connect"
Bad "Red map may be smaller than it looks. Tech just ordered 3rd air card."
Overall "May be going back to 3g for reliability"

Let me preface this report by saying we travel several months a year and use the air card for mobile connection, usually our only connection. Our 3G card (Pantech 190, $60/mo.) was bulletproof. If there was a signal, there was a connection. When in weak signal areas, we use an external antenna which usually doubles the signal. And now on to the 4G (Pantech 290, $50/mo.) card.

Well, tech support is very...supportive but. It took a WEEK for my first 4G connection to work in a 4G area where we "upgraded" from our 3G air card. Worked at the store, not at "home" in the RV. 4G connect speeds have been up to 9.6/4.4 when the card was new to .3/.1 with disconnects with an old/failing card.

Within two weeks of purchase, the first card failed, first by becoming more signal critical and then by refusing to connect at all. Card replaced. Error statements were "sim card failure" and 2001, 2002, and 2003 error codes.

New card (#2). Failure after about 4 weeks. Same failure mode. New card (#3) "in the mail". After 30 days, the stores won't exchange a card. You have to get one shipped from (Texas?). So if you are on the road traveling, being somewhere predictable to get mail is problematic.

If the #3 card fails, back to 3g. I am tired of being the engineering test department.

Comments:

Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Glad I have unlimited data. LTE rocks!"
Bad "Data drops more frequent than before"
Overall "Don't bother with the new $30 plan unless you're using a Blackberry..."

I have had a smartphone for the last 2 years... 3G is ok but I've been experiencing slow downs. I switched to a Bionic and the LTE is wickedly fast compared to 3G. I normally get 8mb download and 7 up. On 3G, I only get about 1 up and down. I was able to keep my unlimited smartphone data plan and it is discounted to $24 per month on the bill

Comments:

Review by Rush8112 See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Polk,IA
Good "Service"
Bad "No Unlimited Data"
Overall "Ok Service and good phones"

I signed up with Verizon Wireless back in Feb of 2010. I'm very Happy with them and I love the phone it's a Motorola W766. I never had a drop call or no service. I'm on the 450 min plan and the price in ok

10/12/2011
I Drop Verizon in June of 2011 for Sprint's Everything plan and got a Blackberry Curve 9330

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "not much"
Bad "deceptive Verizon sales practices"
Overall "use Bresnan or some other provider in Missoula, MT"

My daughter, a student at Univ Montana in Missoula recently signed up for Verizon 4G Mobile broadband on my account. Internet access was lousy. She would get logged out if not using for 5-10min and often had difficultly logging back in. Also the device that connects to her laptop was bulky and cumbersome and got broken in the first month. I tried to cancel after 30 days and was told she had a 2-yr contract, could only terminate without fees for first 14 days, with $170 early termination fee thereafter. Daughter says Verizon sales rep did not tell her about these conditions and when I spoke to the rep when setting up the broadband account she certainly did not tell me about these conditions. I called the Verizon store in Missoula and they said "tough luck". I called Verizon customer service twice and they said "tough luck" too. They put me on "perpetual hold" during second call. Third call to Verizon resulted in termination fee reduced to $100. My advice is to NOT use Verizon for broadband access in Missoula, MT. If you decide to use Verizon anyway, be sure to remind your student to carefully inquire about terms of service because the sales rep we dealt with was careful to not mention these important details.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by leon007 See Profile

• Location: Leslie,Ingham,MI
Good "Was unlimited with Alltel"
Bad "Since Verizon merger all downhill: more latency, less throughput"
Overall "still the best option in rural Michigan"

Was grandfathered into unlimited data plan for $60/mon with Alltel

Consistently averaged above 1Mbps, before the Verizon takeover

Picked up modem at Alltel store and was connected within an hour.

In rural area signal is weak, had to add $100 yaggi antenna in the atic and that works OK.

Previously had HughesNet, with FAP nonsense, and ugly delays; so moving up to Alltel Axcess for the same price was a good deal.

member for 13.3 years, 910 visits, last login: 1 year ago