Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by roll1320 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "4g is great when you can connect"
Bad "Red map may be smaller than it looks. Tech just ordered 3rd air card."
Overall "May be going back to 3g for reliability"

Let me preface this report by saying we travel several months a year and use the air card for mobile connection, usually our only connection. Our 3G card (Pantech 190, $60/mo.) was bulletproof. If there was a signal, there was a connection. When in weak signal areas, we use an external antenna which usually doubles the signal. And now on to the 4G (Pantech 290, $50/mo.) card.

Well, tech support is very...supportive but. It took a WEEK for my first 4G connection to work in a 4G area where we "upgraded" from our 3G air card. Worked at the store, not at "home" in the RV. 4G connect speeds have been up to 9.6/4.4 when the card was new to .3/.1 with disconnects with an old/failing card.

Within two weeks of purchase, the first card failed, first by becoming more signal critical and then by refusing to connect at all. Card replaced. Error statements were "sim card failure" and 2001, 2002, and 2003 error codes.

New card (#2). Failure after about 4 weeks. Same failure mode. New card (#3) "in the mail". After 30 days, the stores won't exchange a card. You have to get one shipped from (Texas?). So if you are on the road traveling, being somewhere predictable to get mail is problematic.

If the #3 card fails, back to 3g. I am tired of being the engineering test department.

Comments:

Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Glad I have unlimited data. LTE rocks!"
Bad "Data drops more frequent than before"
Overall "Don't bother with the new $30 plan unless you're using a Blackberry..."

I have had a smartphone for the last 2 years... 3G is ok but I've been experiencing slow downs. I switched to a Bionic and the LTE is wickedly fast compared to 3G. I normally get 8mb download and 7 up. On 3G, I only get about 1 up and down. I was able to keep my unlimited smartphone data plan and it is discounted to $24 per month on the bill

Comments:

Review by Rush8112 See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Polk,IA
Good "Service"
Bad "No Unlimited Data"
Overall "Ok Service and good phones"

I signed up with Verizon Wireless back in Feb of 2010. I'm very Happy with them and I love the phone it's a Motorola W766. I never had a drop call or no service. I'm on the 450 min plan and the price in ok

10/12/2011
I Drop Verizon in June of 2011 for Sprint's Everything plan and got a Blackberry Curve 9330

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "not much"
Bad "deceptive Verizon sales practices"
Overall "use Bresnan or some other provider in Missoula, MT"

My daughter, a student at Univ Montana in Missoula recently signed up for Verizon 4G Mobile broadband on my account. Internet access was lousy. She would get logged out if not using for 5-10min and often had difficultly logging back in. Also the device that connects to her laptop was bulky and cumbersome and got broken in the first month. I tried to cancel after 30 days and was told she had a 2-yr contract, could only terminate without fees for first 14 days, with $170 early termination fee thereafter. Daughter says Verizon sales rep did not tell her about these conditions and when I spoke to the rep when setting up the broadband account she certainly did not tell me about these conditions. I called the Verizon store in Missoula and they said "tough luck". I called Verizon customer service twice and they said "tough luck" too. They put me on "perpetual hold" during second call. Third call to Verizon resulted in termination fee reduced to $100. My advice is to NOT use Verizon for broadband access in Missoula, MT. If you decide to use Verizon anyway, be sure to remind your student to carefully inquire about terms of service because the sales rep we dealt with was careful to not mention these important details.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

4G?

Missoula isn't on the list for 4G enabled cities yet (in fact nowhere in MT or WY is). Did she actually get 4G or was it linking up on the 3G network? I am over here in Butte and their 3G is slowish (although within expectations for 3G) but dependable when I need it. If she was actually on 4G I might actually take the plunge and upgrade my phone...

VZW MT 4G Coverage

Review by leon007 See Profile

• Location: Leslie,Ingham,MI
Good "Was unlimited with Alltel"
Bad "Since Verizon merger all downhill: more latency, less throughput"
Overall "still the best option in rural Michigan"

Was grandfathered into unlimited data plan for $60/mon with Alltel

Consistently averaged above 1Mbps, before the Verizon takeover

Picked up modem at Alltel store and was connected within an hour.

In rural area signal is weak, had to add $100 yaggi antenna in the atic and that works OK.

Previously had HughesNet, with FAP nonsense, and ugly delays; so moving up to Alltel Axcess for the same price was a good deal.

Comments:

Review by hbellante See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "The commercials used to be humorous."
Bad "Customer/tech support is WORST I've ever encountered"
Overall "Terrible customer service!"

When I moved recently, I planned to change to Verizon for my televison, phone and internet bundle. I had been disappointed in the prices through Cox in the past and wanted to try something better. Fios was not available in my area yet so they sent me direct tv. Unfortunately, directv could not get a satellite signal through my landlord's trees. Thus, I opted out of the tv part and simply kept Verizon for internet since they had already sent the equipment. I hardly know how to describe what followed over the next month. Countless phone calls to and from tech support all utilizing my phone minutes (from Sprint by the way) to who knows where (it sounded like India.) Not a single person was able to help me even though they each claimed to know why my account continued to read "pending" for weeks and why there was never any service turned on. I finally got fed up and sent the equipment back after being "assured" by a manger over the phone that I had a "0" bill and no charges because they had never turned anything on. Three months after sending everything back and HAPPILY paying the extra money to Cox, I am not only still getting bills from Verizon but have been sent to COLLECTIONS because they deseperately want to collect their $60! This company DOES NOT CARE! They have clearly become too big and don't know how to handle growth. I work for one of the top-rated customer service companies in the country and if I EVER put someone on hold for 47 mins when they asked to speak to a manager, I'd lose my job. Through my company, I also have an opportunity to get a discounted cell phone from Verizon- no thanks! I'll continue to pay more!

Comments:

Review by asdfdfdfdf7 See Profile

Good "It's better than dial up or satellite"
Bad "Cost, erratic performance, 5GB limits, punitive overages ($50/GB for me, later contracts since reduced to $10GB)"

This is for 3g service.

The service is fine for what it is, which is a service for those in areas with no wireline options. It is not something that should be considered for those who have any wireline choice, unless it is to supplement such a wireline connection with the mobility of a wireless option.

For things like browsing, email it is fine.

You can stream some audio and it generally works fine.

If gaming involves nothing more than casual games it will be fine.
The cap will limit significant gaming given the size of present games and patches.
Performance rules out shooters or any type of twitch game. You could play a rpg on it. For shooters latency is all over the place and, even after tweaking network settings, massive packet loss and corruption is an issue most of the time. If you game in the middle of the night things might be better.

The connection is reliable in the sense that I have never had a problem with the service going down. Sometimes it drops but I can reconnect quickly and I wouldn't call this a major problem.

It is a service that those suffering on dial up will find satisfying. For anyone who has had real broadband it will be a big expensive disappointment and no one should think that it can be a viable alternative to cable,dsl, fiber. For those of us who have no other options it is good enough, but I guess it has to be.

Comments:

Review by RickT See Profile

• Location: Clovis,Fresno,CA
Good "LTE is super-fast compared to other wireless options"
Bad "Connection comes and goes at times"
Overall "LTE is far superior to satellite and 3G"

Since moving to a rural area, I have had WISP, satellite, 3G and now 4G LTE. The last is far superior to the others. Even though I am near the far edge of the extended coverage footprint, downloads approach 10Mbps and uploads are in the 6Mbps range. The plan I selected is $50 per month for 5GB and $10 per GB above that. My monthly usage is usually in the 3-4GB range and may occasionally exceed 5GB, so I selected this plan rather than the 10GB for $80 plan. The folks at the Verizon store were very helpful and quickly had my UML290 USB modem ready to go. When I got it home, all worked well except for the occasional disconnect. For whatever reason, these now occur fewer than once a day. All in all, it's like being connected to DSL or cable, or maybe even better.

member for 5.8 years, 1954 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by boosterP See Profile

• Location: La Porte,Harris,TX
Good "Fast LTE, unlimitted"
Bad "Mobile hotspot costs, PDANet taken off market"
Overall "Great"

On the phone it is amazingly fast. I have a steady 10Mbps home internet through another company and VZW's LTE is consistently 2 Mbps faster. Using PDANet I get a good solid connection through my networked computers. Love it.

member for 10.4 years, 178 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Shimanek

@charter.com

Broadband ripoff

Verizon convinced me to convert from 3g to 4g. They didn't tell me that there was a $300 penalty for doing so. I've called them many times and they will not refund any of the $200 that I have paid the past two months. I expected a refund because on my last vacation, 4g did not work in North Texas, New Mexico, Kansas (not even Kansas City), Missouri, nor Arkansas. This is the biggest rip off in telecom history, do not fall for their lies.

Review by davidhoffman See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "I get to use the internet when there are no public use WiFi APs available."
Bad "Low usage cap. No way to buy more GBs at reasonable cost. No linux support."
Overall "Extremely useful tool for web browsing."

Service is still very good. I have gotten 1.5Mbps downloads on about 6 occasions. External antenna port on USB760 is extremely valuable. It helps me when I am way out or in tough reception areas to just hook up an external antenna. The contract is up and I looked into Verizon LTE. The LTE modems have bad reviews and the 4G tethering option is confused. We do not have LTE here in middle Georgia yet, so I will stay with 3G another year. I will probably switch to the Millenicom Advanced plan to get more value.

member for 4.4 years, 1932 visits, last login: a few hours ago