Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by hbellante See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "The commercials used to be humorous."
Bad "Customer/tech support is WORST I've ever encountered"
Overall "Terrible customer service!"

When I moved recently, I planned to change to Verizon for my televison, phone and internet bundle. I had been disappointed in the prices through Cox in the past and wanted to try something better. Fios was not available in my area yet so they sent me direct tv. Unfortunately, directv could not get a satellite signal through my landlord's trees. Thus, I opted out of the tv part and simply kept Verizon for internet since they had already sent the equipment. I hardly know how to describe what followed over the next month. Countless phone calls to and from tech support all utilizing my phone minutes (from Sprint by the way) to who knows where (it sounded like India.) Not a single person was able to help me even though they each claimed to know why my account continued to read "pending" for weeks and why there was never any service turned on. I finally got fed up and sent the equipment back after being "assured" by a manger over the phone that I had a "0" bill and no charges because they had never turned anything on. Three months after sending everything back and HAPPILY paying the extra money to Cox, I am not only still getting bills from Verizon but have been sent to COLLECTIONS because they deseperately want to collect their $60! This company DOES NOT CARE! They have clearly become too big and don't know how to handle growth. I work for one of the top-rated customer service companies in the country and if I EVER put someone on hold for 47 mins when they asked to speak to a manager, I'd lose my job. Through my company, I also have an opportunity to get a discounted cell phone from Verizon- no thanks! I'll continue to pay more!

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by asdfdfdfdf7 See Profile

Good "It's better than dial up or satellite"
Bad "Cost, erratic performance, 5GB limits, punitive overages ($50/GB for me, later contracts since reduced to $10GB)"

This is for 3g service.

The service is fine for what it is, which is a service for those in areas with no wireline options. It is not something that should be considered for those who have any wireline choice, unless it is to supplement such a wireline connection with the mobility of a wireless option.

For things like browsing, email it is fine.

You can stream some audio and it generally works fine.

If gaming involves nothing more than casual games it will be fine.
The cap will limit significant gaming given the size of present games and patches.
Performance rules out shooters or any type of twitch game. You could play a rpg on it. For shooters latency is all over the place and, even after tweaking network settings, massive packet loss and corruption is an issue most of the time. If you game in the middle of the night things might be better.

The connection is reliable in the sense that I have never had a problem with the service going down. Sometimes it drops but I can reconnect quickly and I wouldn't call this a major problem.

It is a service that those suffering on dial up will find satisfying. For anyone who has had real broadband it will be a big expensive disappointment and no one should think that it can be a viable alternative to cable,dsl, fiber. For those of us who have no other options it is good enough, but I guess it has to be.

Comments:

Review by RickT See Profile

• Location: Clovis,Fresno,CA
Good "LTE is super-fast compared to other wireless options"
Bad "Connection comes and goes at times"
Overall "LTE is far superior to satellite and 3G"

Since moving to a rural area, I have had WISP, satellite, 3G and now 4G LTE. The last is far superior to the others. Even though I am near the far edge of the extended coverage footprint, downloads approach 10Mbps and uploads are in the 6Mbps range. The plan I selected is $50 per month for 5GB and $10 per GB above that. My monthly usage is usually in the 3-4GB range and may occasionally exceed 5GB, so I selected this plan rather than the 10GB for $80 plan. The folks at the Verizon store were very helpful and quickly had my UML290 USB modem ready to go. When I got it home, all worked well except for the occasional disconnect. For whatever reason, these now occur fewer than once a day. All in all, it's like being connected to DSL or cable, or maybe even better.

member for 6.2 years, 2105 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by boosterP See Profile

• Location: La Porte,Harris,TX
Good "Fast LTE, unlimitted"
Bad "Mobile hotspot costs, PDANet taken off market"
Overall "Great"

On the phone it is amazingly fast. I have a steady 10Mbps home internet through another company and VZW's LTE is consistently 2 Mbps faster. Using PDANet I get a good solid connection through my networked computers. Love it.

member for 10.8 years, 178 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by davidhoffman See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "I get to use the internet when there are no public use WiFi APs available."
Bad "Low usage cap. No way to buy more GBs at reasonable cost. No linux support."
Overall "Extremely useful tool for web browsing."

Service is still very good. I have gotten 1.5Mbps downloads on about 6 occasions. External antenna port on USB760 is extremely valuable. It helps me when I am way out or in tough reception areas to just hook up an external antenna. The contract is up and I looked into Verizon LTE. The LTE modems have bad reviews and the 4G tethering option is confused. We do not have LTE here in middle Georgia yet, so I will stay with 3G another year. I will probably switch to the Millenicom Advanced plan to get more value.

member for 4.8 years, 2101 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cbradioman See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Calhoun,AL
Bad "Speed is now terrible....."
Overall "If this is all you can get, then it will work, but I dont recommend it at all."

I have had this for over 4 years now and when I first got it, it was excellent. Now the service most of the time is worse than dial up, if it even loads the page. So bottom line is if you can get anything else DONT get Verizon Broadband. My cell phone coverage has decreased also. With several calls to verizon they always tell me its the terrian. The real problem is they are very overloaded here and cant keep up with the demand.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1393300···G][/URL]

Comments:

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "I can at least play some popular games."
Bad "Impossible to download large updates. Your TCP instance will get snipped if on too long. Chat programs unstable connection"
Overall "pretty much all i can get. Big companies have all but abandoned rural areas. (we are have nots) Would love good cable or dsl"

Its not DSL but for what i can do i'm happy with what i've seen so far.
Purchased Verizon wireless MiFi2200
Got the highest plan possible (has 5 gig cap)
Still have to go into town for major operating system updates
and especially game or other huge software upgrades. If one is not careful
you can suck up the 5 gigs way fast before the 30 day window is up.
I just started with the service today and am counting numbers and usage.
I just need to keep it under an average of 170 mbytes a day.
The lower rating for value for money i think is accurate. Its expensive
and makes me jealous that folks with dsl or cable can download way beyond
gigs a month for 1/3 the service cost. Overall.... i'm back online and happy.
WoW plays nicely.
Been a long 18 month wait.

Updates as time goes on.

may 26th 2010
The service is beginning to demonstrate that it uses/depends on software
traffic control. I 've noticed many times i get knocked down from higher speeds
to about 14k per second (128K connection) This has been happening
alot more often as the months have gone on. Normally i wouldn't mind this but
i've also noticed alot of service hiccups where i get disconnected
about 5 to 10 times in an hours time. My chat programs suffer the worst of this.
Many times i've been logged off and didn't even know it and lost about 5 lines of text i typed
and uploaded. Hopefully this improves as 4G begins rolling out across the country.
If verizon simply left me capped at 128K connection speed without the hiccups i would not complain.
my two changes to the ratings drop service to a 3 and connection reliability to a 3 from higher numbers because of my recent experiences. Verizon improve on these please.

Update April 1, 2011
I've since upgraded to the 10 gig plan hoping for a less cramped experience.
its a bit more tolerable. Can still Play WoW and Eve Online plus a few other games.
Major downside on getting updates that wont resume. If you have a large download to complete i suggest that you pack up your whole computer and drive to town and use a friends cable or DSL connection. This service has some unwritten fair access policy rules that will slow your connection down to 14k bytes a second from the ranging 100 to 220k a second and once it happens it will not speed up again unless you restart the Mifi or stop the download. Very irritating if you have a large download to complete. I wasted over an hour downloading an Iphone update using this device. After roughly that time if you've not finished your download Verizon says your done. Thats it no resume. I fired off a complaint via email demanding this wasted data download not go towards my monthly limit but i'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. I'm on a mac pro 64 bit system using AdiumX multi client chat program, and also have the regular versions of other chat programs installed. Using the mifi wirelessly (which is the only way i can use it since its not compatable with 64 bit OSX) i've experienced utter unreliable connections to my chat programs. Every few minutes i get constant disconnects and worst of all i dont know i'm disconnected. Messages are constantly lost incoming and outgoing.

Given these latest experiences i have dropped service and connection reliability to 2's from 3's. Verizon needs to let users use their data bucket as they see fit without TCP cut offs or slowdowns.

Update July 11, 2011
Tech support has improved for me as i call them quite alot to complain of connection and contuinity of connection issues. Still unable to do a full download update on my iphone unless i save the data as a file instead of direct update.
The download will usually begin slowing after 300 or so megs and i'm fully cut off
right at the 500 meg mark. If unable to resume a download you lost it all.

The Mifi style devices such as the 2020, 5 spot, and samsung 4g device are overall unreliable if you intend to use them as a full time modem all day for long periods of time like internet should be used. I've exchanged the mifi 2020 twice, been through one 5 spot, and on my 3rd samsung device now already. Batteries
tend to get hot when your surfing or gaming for long periods (because i leave it plugged in to avoid getting disconnected when it goes dead) Verizon could really do alot better.

Began noticing that while on youtube or any streaming video sites i get smacked back to slower speeds quite frequently. This is very frustrating. Apparently the customer base is getting crowded now and i expect to see alot more of this network behavior in the future. Still wishing and wishing and waiting for a wired internet solution to come to my home.

Comments:

Review by padre44 See Profile

• Location: Powhatan,Powhatan,VA
Good "Good backup"
Bad "No 4G here yet"
Overall "Better than nothing"

Got a MiFi from Verizon to use primarily while traveling in our motor home. Verizon is available most everywhere and the service is better than the available free wifi in many RV parks. Of course it is not like our Comcast cable at home, but the Comcast cable seems to go out at times so I use the MiFi as a backup. I have the 5 gig a month for $50. I'm told that is plenty unless you stream video or download large amounts of music. We'll see. 2 laptops share the connection. Two desktops on another floor have trouble getting on it, so signal must not travel as far as the wireless router we have. If they did I'd consider dropping Comcast - it is getting more unreliable. As with other Verizon services, you hope you don't need tech support because it is a pain.

member for 14.5 years, 1313 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Smokey See Profile

• Location: Wild West
Good "Great coverage"
Bad "High cost for low caps"
Overall "Best national data choice, but you pay for it."

I have had Verizon wireless data on my business laptop for just over two years now, and it has worked out great for my needs. While driving on the highway at 55 or faster, it holds a rock solid signal and seamlessly transfers between towers. With rare exception, I have had coverage at locations I have visited. The service is on the expensive side, but with discounts available can be tolerated and written off as a business expense.

Update: 6/25/2011

Verizon wireless data service continues to be the best mobile data service I have used to date, in coverage area. What I have found lately in my travels is that while you may have EVDO coverage in the more remote locations, it can still be as slow as dial up. My NM travels showed VZW to be over populated on the cells I used, as during the week it was almost unusable, but on weekends it was blazing fast an no timeouts. My use of the network in NV is similar, but at far slower speeds all around and dropped signals from time to time. Given the remote areas I operate in, I can not complain too much. The efficiency of having the ability to access the network with the laptop card is hard to replace, even with wifi becoming more prevalent in hotels.

member for 11.3 years, 4516 visits, last login: 149 days ago

Comments:

Review by dataice See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
Good "Excellent Nationwide 3G Coverage"
Bad "Expensive. 5 GB monthly data cap."
Overall "Unbeatable 3G coverage. The 5 GB data cap is an insult, but otherwise am pleased with the service"

·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter
05/21/11: I just started service today and I will provide a more detailed review once I run it through its paces. So far 3G coverage area has been excellent, even in rural areas. I purchased the Verizon branded Novatel Wireless USB760 USB modem at Wal-Mart for $130. I didn't want to commit to a 24 month contract so I decided to go with their prepaid offering instead. The service cost $80 for 30 days of service and 5 GB of data usage. The software required to connect is stored on the device itself, making setup foolproof. The software allows you to keep track of usage, and also allows you to purchase an additional 30 days of service. If you go over your allowed usage before your 30 days are up you can purchase a new card from the software and the clock starts over.

06/16/11: So far I am very impressed with the coverage and speeds in my local area. The speeds are far more consistent than they were when I was using AT&T Wireless Broadband. Not to mention AT&T has a 2GB cap for the same cost. Verizon Wireless Broadband is comparable to a entry level DSL connection. The 5 GB data cap is a disappointment. I have been averaging 1.1-1.4 Mbps down and 500-800K up here at home. This is my only option for broadband at home because my local Verizon central office has been oversold and Verizon has no interest in upgrading it to allow for more capacity. This will do for now until I move next year. It's certainly better than dial-up. I feel the cap should be increased to at least 10 GB which is what it is for their post paid customers. Their prepaid customers are paying the full unsubsidized price for the USB modem after all. I'm patiently waiting for Verizon to upgrade my area to 4G LTE. However, being in a rural county we are probably far down at the bottom of the list. They didn't upgrade our area from 1x-RTT speeds until 2009. I don't expect 4G coverage for at least another 12-18 months. Otherwise I am very pleased with the service so far.

member for 11.9 years, 2178 visits, last login: a few minutes ago