Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Verizon Customer Service Lies"

·T-Mobile US
Note:

This post will be posted in several areas of the internet to expose Verizon Wireless as a company that does not wish to play fair with their customers and is out to get money from every aspect possible and will even risk customer cancellation to get this job done.

World Of Warcraft in their attempts to fight account theft have implemented new security measures which effect verizon wireless customers without a static ip. Due to the nature of verizon's ip system bouncing from city to city to city users of the popular World Of Warcraft game who do not have a static ip address or an ip address that originates out of the same city every time will have to either A. Call Blizzard Daily to get their account unlocked or B. Purchase A Static IP address for the one time cost of $500.00 and they guarantee that you will never have this problem.

Due to the nature of this issue Verizon Wireless stands to lose a lot of money from customers who use Verizon Mobile Broadband as a way of connecting to World Of Warcraft and other blizzard games.

What do we as customers think about this.. I am actually on the phone right now with Verizon Wireless to cancel my service because I will find another company that will work with me to accomplish what I am looking to do.

Any other suggestions

Ken

you may e mail me at ken2979 (at) icloud (dot) com it forwards to my PDA

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.5.4
click START to begin

** Starting test 1 of 1 **
Connected to: speedtest.umflint.edu -- Using IPv4 address
Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 360.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.67Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Comments:

Review by Robotics See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Works flawless 99.7% of the time speed is as advertised"
Bad "Slightly high price, but well worth it if you want good service where ever you go"
Overall "If you cant get cable/fios, this is your best bet for this area. Dont even think of getting satillite"

Knock on wood, I have not had any complaints on this service. I have noted that on rare rare occasions the speed slows down a bit...but it may be the sites I visit.
For this area (Louisa) its the best thing out there if you CANT get Cable. You wont be seeing FIOS out here for a long time (if ever).
I would not suggest even giving the thought of going to Satellite. I know so many people out here that are so mad with their satellite service.

Over all I have suggested to many out here. Its the only thing out here if you cant get cable. Plus you can take it with you. The price seems a bit high, but it beats dial up by a long shot!
I'm very happy.

**UPDATE** 03-08-2012

My review pretty much remains the same as above. Not one complaint, other than maybe the price ($59.95 a month with 5GB cap)
4G LTE is coming to the area, and I know the tower in town is in the process of being upgraded.
The service is very reliable. I cant even remember there being any downtime for this area.
Since cable isn't available in all parts of Louisa, this would be your best bet for internet service hands down.
As stated above, I can not suggest satellite internet. Its slow, lags alot, and cost is a bit high for such little service. And way to many complaints of satellite. (just read any forum).

Over all, you cant beat Verizon wireless for this area. If you cant get cable at your location, then this is the next place to go.
I would suggest you do your homework to make sure you get a decent signal from Verizon before going further. if you get a signal, then your in business.

**UPDATE** 2-20-2015

I am still very pleased with the service from Verizon in the Louisa area. (and everywhere I go actually) The speeds are always good for me, and there has never been any downtime since I have had service with them. I have also learned Verizon has installed several more towers throughout the County, and all have 4G LTE.
Any other service provider in this area (and there is only a couple more) are really bad compared to Verizon. Cant see why people even use anyone else out here since Verizon is the only one that covers the entire County and more.
Bottom line....you can not go wrong going with Verizon...period.

member for 11.4 years, 2592 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by critis See Profile

• Location: Mullins,Marion,SC
Good "Better then other options"
Bad "Caps caps caps"
Overall "Decent "

First I was a millenicom customer for years. But they lost deal with sprint. Then shuffled to bmi internet. To see the same happen again. So after the horror of the switch to bmi and then 3 times they had to replace my modem and the downtime when the gateway claimed I used 30 gb in 10 days while I was on vacation and the usb modem was unplugged. I decide to break down and go with the double data promo. So I went to Verizon store and the lady told me home fusion would be work best. So added it to my more everything plan and got 30 gb data added. With 19% discount turn out to save me around 20 dollars. Compared to paying cell and Internet plans separate. Order on Friday,installed Tuesday. Wednesday the net goes down. Reboot 3 times. It comes on again. Great speed when up. But Thursday down for 12hrs. Friday morning goes off again called Verizon and after talking to techs they say signal marginal for my area. They send out router with voice. During the talk they tell me that I could go on edge plan and upgrade phone. Wife saw the droid mini in store night we order so I thinking great she can get the phone.

So go to store Friday night after work with wife. We tell them what lady on phone said and the boy act like there doing us a favor to let us have phone.that really we can't go on edge then couldn't activate the phone and ends up my wife on phone with someone from Verizon saying we can't have phone. They told me right from start in store I couldn't do mine at all.

Store is 40 min drive from my house,so every married guy know the hell,I went through on way home from my wife. We get home she go to bed because she so mad,she gotten a headache. I get on phone to Verizon. Seeing I got my backside chewed. I'm going pass it on to Verizon. I explain to rep about my day and that I didn't get phones and have a upset wife.

Rep got not only my wife her phone,he put me on the edge program as well with new droid turbo and my tail out of the fire with wife.

I waited 3 month to write review to see how service would hold up. It been very good so far. Rarely been offline and speeds have stayed good. It way better the the 3G from sprint resellers and the 4g upgrade switching has been great. Overall been good service for wireless. Process was way longer then it needed to be. They really need to get the corp. store and customer service on same page.

member for 13.1 years, 1501 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Antenna Guy See Profile

• Location: Placerville,El Dorado,CA
Good "Easy to operate. Good up and down speeds"
Bad "Pretty expensive"
Overall "I would do it again"

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4094 ··· 94279111
After looking at other people on Verizon Broadband I am pleased with my performance. The MiFi Jetpack is very robust and works anywhere I have been.
Recently Verizon offered to double the data cap so I went from 14 Gig to 30 Gig for $10 / month.
I picked the Jetpacks at the store, brought them home, turned them on and it has been great ever since.
I have 2 MiFi620L Jetpacks 3347. I sometimes leave home and this way my wife has access when I am off working.
I have had a battery warning that can be "fixed" by removing and reinstalling the battery in the Jetpack.
Tested AT&T before getting Verizon and it had no signal.

Comments:

Review by Skipdawg See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Skagit,WA
Good "So far all good!"
Bad "Miss having unlimited data. Have to watch and use Wi-Fi at home"
Overall "11+ years with Verizon wireless and still happy."

·Clear Wireless
I looked at what AT&T, Sprint and TMobile had and still decided to stay with Verizon Wireless. I'm on year 5 going into year 6 this Fall.

I ordered the unlimited Talk and text package. May do away with my land line by the end of this Summer or go with the most basic package if I keep it.

I did the preorder. The day before. For I had messed up doing it a few days earlier. Knew something was not right never got confirmation. Called Customer service they told me to redo the order and call if no conformation came. Got conformation and the next day at noon FedEx delivered my package.

I ordered the new HTC Droid Incredible. Great phone. Was very glad to retire my LG Dare. It was acting up.

The experience has been all good. Sure hope it stays that way. I like a all Pros and no Cons situation with any purchase.

If I get the chance I'll post a update in a few months.

Jan 13, 2015. I now have the Droid Turbo by Motorola. And a LG flip phone for backup. On the more everything plan with 3 GB but may double that soon. I use Wi-Fi at home to save on data usage. Really like the new XLTE 4G. I average about 48Mbps down and 9Mbps up but have had a 54Mbps / 14Mbps test the end of 2014. I have now had this setup for 2 months and like it but do miss the unlimited data with these speeds. I hope they bring it back or give you better data value when 5G comes out in a few years. Thinking about maybe even adding a tablet and retiring my computer and ISP and adding enough data to cover the bases. But Verizon as I feel is still the best bet around for this area.

Comments:

Review by Camaro See Profile

• Location: Westfield,Hampden,MA
Good "We all know all that, best coverage of any provider."
Bad "Price, business praticeses."
Overall "You get what you pay for."

I was a T-Mobile customer for 13 years, after waiting patiently in that time frame coverage never improved so I had to switch to Verizon finally. One tip of advice for any new people considering switching go to a corporate location, not a independent one. So far I have no complaints with service, support, or products for the 5 months I have had service.

I received a call 2 days ago for a upgrade of my data plan, for a one time $10 fee they would double my data from 4gb to 8gb, I don't come close to using my 4gb unless I am on vacation which is why I decided to take it. I am a field tech and so far in MA, CT, VT, NH, and ME, I have never lost signal once, yes you aren't going to be downloading at crazy speeds in some of the areas I go to because they can get pretty rural of course.

Right now I have 2 HTC One M8 models on my plan and aside from the first 3 months that my phone was sending double texts to just about everyone and getting them in return (it was a problem with the phone), was finally fixed a month and half ago.

The current plan I am includes 2 lines of course, unlimited text, 1000min, and 8gb of data for $185, which is a increase of $28 dollars from T-Mobile but again you get what you pay for.

In the end I had to go to them, whether you hate this or that about them the product speaks for itself.

member for 6.9 years, 1465 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kingfisher See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Has never failed to work acceptably when I needed it"
Bad "I am usually hard wired to the internet so don't use it much"
Overall "Good when traveling and as a backup to my cable internet service"

I use the service by tethering my BlackBerry to my laptop. Serves the purpose for which I obtained it. Performance is acceptable in every geographic location where I have tried it.

January 2009 - Replaced my BlackBerry 7130e with a BlackBerry Storm during the latter part of November 2008. The Storm is Ev-DO Rev. A capable and I have seen download speeds above 2Mbps in testing. My satisfaction with the level of service remains high based on my usage.

March 2010 - I have been spending some time at the home of a relative who doesn't have internet access. Verizon Wireless Broadband is reliable at his home in a small town in Central Florida, although considerably slower than near a bigger city. Far more satisfying than having no Internet access at all. My satisfaction with the service overall is good. I am a good candidate to upgrade to LTE when available.

January 2012 - I have moved from BlackBerry to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. 4G speeds are impressive and the connection remains reliable. Speeds are so good, I am considering dropping my cable internet and using wireless only. At our house, total internet usage has been ~15GB/mo. Although we have two Verizon phones with "unlimited" data, I wonder if there might be repercussions at the 15GB/mo usage level.

November 2014 - Using the Samsung Galaxy Nexus tethered (Clockworkmod Tether) today as an experiment with Windows 10 Enterprise Preview on a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Haven't used the service for tethering much recently as I also have mobile hotspot capability. Performance is acceptable as usual. I have made a few Google Hangouts calls during this session which means they were made using voice over LTE data. Quality of these calls was good. Still a good alternative to a wired connection when needed. It's about time for a new XLTE phone where I would expect performance to be even better.

member for 7.6 years, 3595 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by krypt0 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
Good "Great LTE coverage"
Bad "Service capabilities limited with CDMA fallback"
Overall "Good coverage, Limited monthly data allowance"

Secondary cellphone/data service.

Phone Plan Data Limit (monthly in GB): N/A
Data Plan Limit (monthly in GB): N/A
Provisioned Speed: N/A
Received Speed: N/A

Comments:

Review by ggultra2764 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Washington,NY
Good "Large amounts of rural coverage, broadband speeds comparable to cable, useful if on the go or have a power outage."
Bad "Steep monthly price, 30 GB is still low data usage for modern use of the Internet."
Overall "One of the best rural broadband options you can get, if you are willing to pay an arm and a leg to get it."

·AT&T Wireless Br..
·Millenicom
For six months after I left college, I was desperately searching around for broadband Internet for my laptop. DSL and cable connections were tempting. But, they had no coverage in my area and TimeWarner Cable wanted me to cough up over $900 to get a cable out where I live which was way too costly for me, especially since I just got out of college. And I heard enough evil things about sattelite Internet so I didn't want to venture into their territory.

But while Christmas shopping for my family at Best Buy, I came across a Verizon Wireless salesman selling wireless USB modems. He was quite understanding of my situation and gave me plenty of information about Verizon's wireless Internet network, including the NationalAccess connections possible in places that couldn't normally get dial-up. Tempted, I subscribed to the network right on the spot and the cost for the USB modem was reduced since I now had a subscription.

Installation of the modem was simple enough once I installed the hardware for it on my computer via CD and setting up the modem for one of my computer's USB port. The installation of the modem only took me about 5 minutes.

As for connections, I can only get the NationalAccess connection out where I live, but the connection's quite good and I can get download and upload speeds 4 times faster than my old dial-up connection on AOL when I ran a speed test on the modem (120 kbps Down/ 123 kbps Up).

There are two major problems that I do have with Verizon Wireless's services though. First, would be the 5 GB monthly download limit. With my regular Internet use at college, I would normally use about 25 to 30 GB a month doing Internet browsing, video streaming, and peer-to-peer downloads using Bittorrent. My laptop only has about 25 GB of hard drive space so I can't overhaul my laptop with downloaded files as heavily as those with higher storage capacities for their computer. 5 GB is a bit limiting for what I would like to get off my new connection, especially since I can only get the NationalAccess connection from Verizon Wireless out where I live.

Second of course, would be the limitations of what you can do with Verizon's connection. Verizon Wireless's Terms of Service specifically state their service is only meant to be used for basic Internet uses such as Internet browsing and e-mailing. Peer-to-peer programs and video streaming, my two frequent uses of the Internet at college, are of prohibited use in their services and I've heard of enough folks who made the jump from Verizon to Sprint because they felt limited in what they could do online while with Verizon Wireless.

With both of these issues, I think Verizon Wireless has a poor preconceived notion of what they think all people like to do online much like sattelite Internet providers have with their Fair Access Policies.

If you live in the boonies, can't get DSL or cable out where you live, and can't stand dial-up or sattelite Internet, then Verizon Wireless could be for you. Just be prepared for a limited online experience if you like doing more online besides Internet browsing and e-mailing.

UPDATE (12/14/07): During the past few days, my area was hit by a series of snow storms. This obviously effected how good my connection was as both my download and upload rates had dropped into the lower-90 kbps on Thursday and my connection was at two bars most of the time up to early today. Right now, my connection is back up to three bars and my download rate improved from Wednesday's speed test.

UPDATE (4/6/08): It's been over four months now since I went on Verizon Wireless for an ISP. I can still only get NationalAccess connections here at my house and even with an antenna I bought for my USB modem, I can still only get NationalAccess. The only benefit with the antenna is an improved signal with my connection.

My Internet use during the week is normally close to or over 100 MB a day since I work most of the day and around 200 MB a day on weekends. A good chunk of my data usage comes from seeing videos on Youtube, frequent downloading, and updating my virus and spyware protection.

NationalAccess seems more of a blessing for me since videos and downloaded files do take time to load up on the 1XRTT connection of NationalAccess. I would be more tempted to use more of my monthly data if I did have BroadbandAccess capable speeds out where I lived which could give me problems thanks to the 5 GB cap VZW has set up. It would be better if they either gave higher data usage for the month or actually give Sprint a run for their money by actually offering unlimited data usage at a cheaper price.

Otherwise, the connection has been able to hold up very well and I rarely lose my signal. If VZW were to just lighten up on their Terms of Service and their monthly caps, then I could do more with the connection without worrying about my data usage.

UPDATE (4/8/08): I checked Verizon's Terms of Service today and it looks like they have lightened up on what you can use their connection for. Online gaming and streaming are now allowed. I still wish they can lighten up on their monthly caps.

UPDATE (6/2/08): I now have BroadbandAccess Rev. A coverage out where I live. After doing a speed test, I got 953 kbps down, 500 kbps up. While the greater speed is a great asset to me, now I'm gonna have to be more wary of how much I download since I can get things faster. I still think VZW should lighten up on their caps.

UPDATE (6/3/08): Speed tests came up with 831 kbps down, 397 kbps up. And the speeds I got from yesterday had me tempted to do some downloading which within an hour, I already used over 100 MB of my data usage. I've already used over 3 GB of my data usage for this billing period so far and it won't be for two weeks until my data account is reset for the next billing period. I see no reason to having such a large amount of download speed if I have such a small monthly cap put on it which is why I could deal with NationalAccess easier since it took me longer to get stuff downloaded.

UPDATE (7/13/08): As of Friday, I went over my 5 GB cap yet so far I haven't been throttled which must mean my area isn't too reliant on the wireless tower near my house. And topping off the fact that I signed up for VZW back in December of last year, I also don't have to worry about overage fees so I'm in a bit of a lucky situation at this moment. But, this doesn't change my criticism of being wary of Verizon's caps, especially if you got a contract with them after March of this year. Latest speed test results are 778 kbps down, 380 kbps up.

UPDATE (9/18/08): I got my bandwidth throttled last month from using 8 GB in a month due to the fact I'm currently unemployed. I have heard rumors that those with an 'unlimited' account can use up to 7 GB in a month before having their speed throttled which could explain why the two months I went over 5 GB didn't get me throttled. I'm now back at full speed as of today. Latest speed test results are 1035 kbps down, 388 kbps up.

UPDATE (12/2/08): It's now been just over a year since I first made my contract with VZW. I've been throttled for a second month since I used nearly 8 GB in two consecutive months which goes to show where a tight monthly cap can get you while bored and unemployed. But of course, I don't have overage fees to worry about since I'm still on an 'unlimited' contract. As far as my connection is concerned, it still holds up well in most circumstances. I've had occasions where I can't connect to web sites or lose my connection due to heavy weather. But, this is expected since it's a wireless connection after all.

I am hoping within the next year that VZW loosens up on its tight caps before I have to renew my contract. It would be a pain to have to pay overage fees just because I decide to go giddy on watching Youtube videos one night in a single sitting.

I've even heard that T-Mobile offers a 10 GB cap or unlimited data usage with its customers which seems far more flexible than what I'm getting out of VZW. Too bad there's no T-Mobile coverage out here. Otherwise, I would consider jumping WISPs once my contract with VZW expired if Verizon still doesn't loosen up on caps.than

UPDATE (6/9/09): It's been over 18 months now since I first got on a contract with VZW. Connection still holds up well and I'm still not happy with the 5 GB bandwidth cap. While it does look like VZW's easing on its overage fees, the price is still costly for my regular monthly usage being between 7 and 8 GB. I still don't have to worry about overage fees for another 6 months since my contract is still on VZW's old terms. But I'd like something more better than paying over $100 in overage fees every month if I choose to renew my contract with them.

UPDATE (9/3/2010): Still on VZW and I've been on my old contract for nearly 3 years meaning I can now jump ship whenever without being charged an ETF. Being unemployed's led me to make more use of my Internet connection with me normally using 10-11 GB a month which has led to my connection speed getting throttled every other month. Connection still holds up well in most situations, despite frequent throttling. Unless VZW learns to not be so tight with their caps (doubtful!) or I find similar/ faster Internet speeds at a better price (unless I escape from the boonies, fat chance for another 3-4 years when LTE is deployed), I plan to stay on my grandfathered contract where I don't get charged overage fees for as long as possible.

UPDATE (10/26/14): Effective as of yesterday, I am back on VZW thanks to Millenicom no longer offering Verizon service. Since my Jetpack from Millenicom is a Verizon compatible device, I was able to put the device on a monthly shared data plan with VZW without having to go back on a contract. There was some confusion from the store rep I talked with as he thought Verizon's "double data" promotion offered at the time was also applicable for hotspots as he said I could get 40 GB for what you'd normally pay for 20 ($130). When I found out of the store clerk's error a day later as I only had 20 GB out of what was promised from the clerk, I talked with customer service and they were kind enough to transition me on their "double data" promotion at 30 GB a month.

Counting the taxes added onto the already pricey $150 I would be paying for this plan, I am looking likely to pay close to $200 for the bill and my first bill will come with a $35 activation fee, $15 more than the fee I would have if I wanted to reactivate a device used by Millenicom. I'm just hoping I can ride things out on VZW until I can get coverage off a regional wireless provider since I have been in contact with them since earlier this year to push for coverage from them to come my way as they have more generous data offerings at cheaper prices than the national wireless providers have right now.

member for 7.5 years, 3010 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by zefie See Profile

• Location: Hudson,Columbia,NY
Good "Fast LTE"
Bad "Metered"
Overall "Verizon offers the best coverage here for voice and data"

·DSL EXTREME
I've had VZW for a while now. The price isn't too bad considering the quality of the service (I have no complaints). The plan itself is only $60, which includes 6GB of data and unlimited talk/text (as well as international SMS). They charge you for the base plan, then for each device on the plan. My specific account has 5 lines, including a 'mifi' (Mobile to Wifi) ($20), tablet (iPad, $10), and 3 phones (2 smartphones, $40 each, one basic phone, $30). Two of the devices are on monthly payments (about $100 total), which adds to the total. The only drawback is the typical lack of unlimited data on mobile carriers.