PRTC.net page on DSLReports

Review by Kahbrohn See Profile

• Location: Guaynabo,Guaynabo,PR
Good "Availability... in most areas."
Bad "Infrastructure seems to be lacking a bit."
Overall "The only good choice if cable is not your thing."

The only DSL provider on the island is through PRTC. Other "may" state they have DSL but it is either by re-selling the PRTC service of some other service that does not readily match up.

Many of the lines available run through old connection boxes. With time these boxes suffer from the elements (humidity, salt in the air, etc.) and the conecction degrades. It takes time for it to finally get to a point where you simply think about dropping them.

Presently I am paying for a 2M/512K service. At the moment I am receiving only about 600K on the download side. well below the 80% guarantee they offer.

GOOD THING: Is that they adjust the invoice if you are proactive enough and report the issues. Work with them.

All in all, I hope they "finally" get my issue resolved. I dont expect ANY service to bee 100% there 100% of the time but I do expect them to act and resolve the issues in a timely and efficient manner.

If I had a choice, I would go with cable (OneLink) but at present my hands are tied up a bit.

Comments:

Review by smartell See Profile

• Location: Bayamon,Bayamon,PR
Good "good residential support hours"
Bad "bad commercial spport hours"
Overall "erratic sppeds"

None

Comments:

Review by pucho1376 See Profile

• Location: San Juan,San Juan,PR
Good "Its DSL so its better than powerlink in the stream . Speed not much"
Bad "They are having problems with the browsing for all thier users and really havent got to the bottom of it."
Overall "Price ok but too much variability"

They gave me a wireless 2wire modem. kinda ok.
I have a 2meg package and today its running at less than 400kbs down. So you see my frustration.
Customer support has improved.
The local cable companies are having a bonanza because they have upgraded their cable power and now they can take on more business.
Really the local broadband network is about 5 -8 years behind that of the US in home services.
Oh by the way Centennial here has almost a monopoly in the fiber lines coming in.

Comments:

Review by rubi6 See Profile

• Location: Bayamon,Bayamon,PR
Good "Good Speed, O.K. customer support, good modem, since it's DSL they don't cap your speed if you use it a lot."
Bad "Takes long connecting, O.K. customer support, Max speed is 3mb, Really slow upload but oh well it's ADSL"
Overall "If you live in PR you know the options for high speed internet are limited."

I've been with PRTC since the very beginning when they first brought DSL. I suffered through having a bad prototype modem which wouldn't let me change the ports, which delayed me from getting on Xbox Live for like a month after constant calling and exchanging information with other users. The next hurdle was how our house lost it's number and was given to someone else, which we had to switch to another one and wait about a month or two for it to be listed as available for DSL service. After that and having the new modem, it's been generally a smooth ride. The speeds and service have rised and from a 69$ fee for a measly 256k connection it's up to 3mb for about the same price. They've also changed their plans with options for 256, 512, 1mb, 2mb, 3mb.

I've recently been enjoying the new 3mb speed, to which I show no complain except for the fact that the change has been unstable, internet going out every once in a while and it takes quite long for it to reconnect, which is the most annoying part. Around 1 to 3 hours. Sometimes it miraculously connects in 10 minutes but that is rarely the case for me. I do know friends that don't have the same problems I have. They do live more in the city, which may explain, I live close to the countryside. The slow upload speed is something I find annoying. The thing is that I know a lot of ADSL providers do the same thing, high download speed and slower upload speed. But with me there's more than a 200k difference of the announced upload speed and the actual speed I have. It's quite annoying since I use bittorrent and I use my computer as a server. Otherwise I now enjoy downloads as fast as 280Kbps and streaming videos and such are now very smooth, with youtube videos finally playing without having to wait and have it pause mid-way.

I really wish they'd bring even higher speeds, and at least match the upload speed to a half of the download speed like many companies do. Since the Xbox live incident and having to call to reinitiate the service I haven't had much experience with them to say. In the Xbox Live incident I found the support lacking and slow. From my knowledge they have improved though, and if I'm not mistaken they have 24 hour support. A friend called recently and had someone check the modem in his house about two days later after he reported it. He checked the line and the modem and was able to pinpoint the problem.

You order the DSL service online, it's quite convenient, and you don't need to call as much. The modem arrives by mail and once it arrives you need to call to speed up the process a bit if it's not already connected. It's quite fast really, about a week and a half. They're supplying the 2wire brand modems, quite efficient, it's both a modem and a wired/wireless router. I got one of the first ones so mine is Wifi B standard while the once they brought after are the much faster G standard. It has a good configurable firewall, therefore having software firewall isn't that important. Other option I considered was Onelink cable internet but I heard a lot of bad things concerning speed capping, port disabling, and other problems regarding downloads. Not to mention you share bandwidth with your neighbors which isn't that bad of a thing but I rather have something stable and constant. I don't know how true those rumors are though, I've heard mixed opinions about those things.

I'm generally pleased with PRTC, they've shown improvement and I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

Comments:

Review by astroblaster See Profile

• Location: Carolina,Carolina,PR
Good "free basic voip"
Bad "slow browsing 85% of the time"
Overall "piece of shit ISP, cannot handle subscriber volume go with ONELINK"

too many customers for their equipment, internet traffic bottlenecks at their servers. they need to make a significant investment in their infrastructure to stay in business. they should be investigated by the FCC.

I pay for 2048/512 and im getting about 500/300 avg.
all my settings are tweaked as i am a PC technician so there's no room for mistakes on my part as to configuration or setup of equipment.

they totally suck!