RTC Communications page on DSLReports

Review by triker See Profile

• Location: Montgomery,Daviess,IN
Good "Most realiable connection I have ever seen"
Bad "Speed for the price (1Mb/256 for $44.95)--cost per kb/sec"

This was the only choice located in my area since it is a very rural section of southwest Indiana. RTC actually sends an installer to the home to complete it (at no cost of course) and makes sure everything is working properly at that time. I have never called tech support directly, but it is all located locally (Montgomery, Indiana). For this install (nearly three years ago) we were given a Speedstream (5500 I believe) DSL modem. The only complaint that I have is the price per kb/sec. I can get my service for a much cheaper price if I lived in a surrounding city, but since this is all I can get I am happy that I have it.

Comments:

Review by frinkster See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Fulton,IN
Good "Available where other ISPs aren't"
Bad "Their entire service is SPYWARE"
Overall "If at all possible, avoid these folks"

The service was mediocre. Not particularly fast, but not terrible for such a rural area. There were multiple-day outages a couple times a year on average. The tech support is OK, the couple times I've had to use it they were hard to get a hold of.

The worst part about RTC is their use of NEBUAD (google "NEBUAD" to found out more), it's a company that was apparently started by the same folks that brought us Gator, one of the first spyware programs.

RTC gets a commission from Nebuad (also called Phorm or Faireagle) to spy on every packet you transfer. That means that Nebuad, in violation of basic ethics and wiretapping laws, looks and records every single website you visit, search term you type, every email you send, etc. Over time they probably know more about you and your family than you do. Looking up information on a private medical condition you have? It's just been sold to marketers. Doing research on controversial subjects? It's just been sold to marketers.

RTC didn't even warn its customers they installed this spyware, and the opt-out option is a joke, all your packets still go to Nebuad even if you opt out, they just claim they don't record them (and you trust marketing companies to always tell the truth, right?)

I canceled my service because of this and I highly recommend anybody who doesn't want all their personal information in the hands of marketers and intelligence agencies to do the same. Let RTC know the reason you canceled or didn't sign up is because of the selling out of their customers.

Comments: