Air Advantage page on DSLReports

Review by wiltatu810 See Profile

• Location: Croswell,Sanilac,MI
Good "There are only two options for broadband internet where I live, neither are close to good but this is the better of the two..."
Bad "Slow speed, high cost, bad service department, high install charges, long waits on phone, short open hours and more..."
Overall "Unless you live in a very rural area and this is the only real option, pick a different company."

I waited 9 days to get installed, installers were nice guys but sales had not mentioned an install fee and I already had lines run(previous owner had AA) but it still cost $125 to install. I was billed an extra $4 a month because they mailed me a statement, this totaled $42 for a 1mb service.

They did not assign log on info when service was installed so I had to call CS to set it up, found out that they are closed on weekends and closed from 6pm to 9am on weekdays. Tech support is also closed on Sunday, closed after 6 on sat, and after 10 on weekdays, they too open at 9am.

When I finally talked to someone they fixed the log on issue, however the install charges and paper billing fee were in no way up for discussion as far as they were concerned. they did switch me to automatic billing and drop my monthly price back to the agreed $38 a month.

The CSR was generally pleasant but only to formality, it was obvious that they were not concerned with customer satisfaction, I'm pretty sure I could have told them I had changed my mind because of the lack of service and she would have just said ok and scheduled someone to pick up my equipment then tried to bill me for the month of service, install and a $400 early termination fee($567 total). I honestly don't believe that my only having the service for 2 days, nor the loss of me as a customer would have mattered.

Comments:

Review by chances14 See Profile

• Location: Imlay City,Lapeer,MI
Good "great service; no problems as of yet"
Overall " Much better than Satellite and no FAP"

I live in an area where my only options for internet are satellite or 3g on extremely congested towers. So it was a godsend when Air Advantage was finally able to get a signal at my location

ordering and Installation was flawless. No problems there

I am on the 1mb package for 38 bucks a month with unlimited usage and no FAP. I get my advertised speeds pretty much 24/7. Even with the unlimited usage i have experienced minimal peak usage slow downs. Pings are usually between 35 and 50ms depending on the time of day with very little jitter. I always get A's and B's results on pingtest.net. Gaming on my ps3 works quite well for a 1mb connection, which i was pleasantly surprised with. Web Pages and secure sites load almost instantly compared to my hughesnet connection as a result of the lower latency.

I've had Air Advantage for a couple months now and there has only been one minor outage, which was caused by a bad capacitor on their network and was fixed within an hour

I would definitely recommend this service to anyone who can't get any type of landline internet service

Comments:

Review by whysoslow See Profile

• Location: Lapeer,Lapeer,MI
Good "Great Service"
Overall "Much better that Wildblue"

Installers were great, customer service is great. highly recommend their service.

Comments:
whysoslow

join:2011-01-02
Lapeer, MI

Air Advantage

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

Re: Air Advantage

I'm assuming you're on the 2mb plan since you state that you're paying $45 dollars a month? if so, you are getting great speeds
whysoslow

join:2011-01-02
Lapeer, MI

Re: Air Advantage

I was with Wildblue for 6 years and we just got on the AA service 2mb plan. This is a great company. I will never go back to WB. Terrible service and low speeds during peek times..
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

Re: Air Advantage

i hear ya. i was on hughesnet prior to getting air advantage. it's nice being able to watch youtube videos without worrying about going over your usage cap

Review by RubberJohnny See Profile

• Location: Cass City,Tuscola,MI
Good "Tech support is decent."
Bad "Very low speeds, high price."
Overall "Look somewhere else for high speed internet in Michigan."

Air Advantage offers an extremely basic wireless connection that, sometimes, reaches 1MB/s. However, they never list their speeds on their website so you never know why you're really paying $38/month until you do a few speed tests yourself.

If you're into multiplayer games, Air Advantage isn't an ideal choice if you plan on playing anywhere from 5pm-2am, which usually results in less than 1MB/s due to peak usage. I'm constantly rubber-banding whenever I attempt to play online games anytime before 2-3am in the morning, which obviously isn't a very ideal situation to be in.

There is no bandwidth cap, which is nice, but with their speeds I'd never even get near any cap they'd impose on their customers anyways. After roughly 5 years of being a customer, I've notice a significant decline in quality, and will likely be switching to Charter sometime later this year.

Comments:

Review by Kman123 See Profile

• Location: Cass City,Tuscola,MI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Only good for downloading compared to dial up speeds."
Bad "Horrible Service, Support is all excuses."
Overall "Dial up is better for gaming believe it or not."

At this point in time we have no other options for broadband, but Charter is soon to come thank goodness.
Air Advantage bought out a local wireless provider which provided decent service, but as soon as Air Advantage took over, it went down the drain.
Soon as they took over, my pings range from 200 to 700+, my band width jumps around from 90k to 300k, on a good day. Packet loss is almost a constant problem.

Want to play online games? forget it, sometimes late at night when everyone is in bed but you, you can play online, that's about it. Usually it is very choppy with massive 5 to 7 second freeze ups from packet loss.

I still have the indoor Wave Rider antenna and live close to tower which worked good until AA took over. I know others in town who have both outdoor and indoor antennas, all of us have constant problems, although the outdoor antenna seems to have less.

They have no package listing, just wireless for $35 so I guess they can have the speeds as slow as they want and still be legal.

They always have excuses why the service is bad.

If you have no choice and don't want to play online games, I guess it works ok for web browsing sometimes and so-so downloading, other than that avoid these jokers.