Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Prodigy Infinitum page on DSLReports

Review by jstone00 See Profile

• Location: Fortuna,Humboldt,CA
Good "Rock-solid service"
Bad "Not the fastest..."
Overall "Only reliable service"

·SONIC.NET
Here in Puerto Vallarta we currently have 3 choices of ISPs...the 2 television cable companies and the phone company, TelMex. I have tried all three, and Temex's service, which is branded as Prodigy Infinitum, is by far the most reliable. Although it is expensive (about $49 US a month including taxes) it is the only reliable service.

UPDATE: 2 years later it continues to be reliable.

UPDATE: April, 2010 TelMex has doubled my speed, from 1 Mbps to 2Mbps. Actual download speed is about 1.85Mbps; upload is .30Mbps. Service continues to be stable with infrequent outages. Price has remained the same...about $37.00

US per month. BTW, vicks_wedge, although my home is in Fortuna, CA, I spend time in Puerto Vallarta, MX. Look before you leap.

UPDATE: As of November, 2010 service continues to be reliable, and the old company supplied 2-wire modem/router is still going strong. Monthly cost of telephone and internet combined is approximately $47 dollars, depending on the peso-dollar exchange rate.

UPDATE: October 07, 2012
The service continues to be stable and reliable, and I cannot remember when the last interruption occurred. My old 2-wire 1701HG finally died, but it was replaced free by a newer model, and best of all a TelMex representative called a month ago and moved me to the "Conectes" package which more than doubled my speed from 1.5 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps for the equivalent of $20 dollars LESS per month than I had been paying!

Beat that ATT!

As of June, 2014: The service continues to be rock-solid, with advertised speeds (minus the PPPOE overhead).

Comments:

Review by MIXZ1 See Profile

• Location: Mexico
Good "Reliable as a rock. No downtime at all."
Bad "Expensive compared to US providers. 10 Mbs is 76 USD a month but includes a comprehensive telephone plan; free Mexico and US"
Overall "In response to market Telmex has doubled speeds without raising prices. Hooray for competition. Fiber-Optic is rolling out"

I log in at DSL reports as MIXZ1. I live in Cancun, Mexico and about the ONLY

ISP is Prodigy Infinitum, which is actually an arm of Telmex, the virtual telephone monopoly in Mexico. There is service available from the local cable operator, but they do not have cable in the area I live in.

ADSL 10 mbps is now 76 USD per month but includes a telephone plan that features unlimited calling to Mexico and the US and really inexpensive rates to Europe. There are lesser priced tiers of 3 mbps and 6 mbps. Fiber with up to 20 mbps is being rolled out downtown but there have been teething problems. Eventually fiber will replace ADSL throughout the service area.

When the bump to 10 mbps service rolled out there was an issue with their routers getting saturated as the day progressed, so that my 10 mbps connection slowed to little better than dialup by noon, but returned to normal at midnight. It took 3 weeks to get the issue under control, but they did and it's been fine since. I have 10 mbps down and about 1 mbps up 24/7. Exact numbers on a just-conducted speed test were 9.81 down .82 up.

Service is expensive by US standards. Reliability is excellent Support has gotten much better and is needed very infrequently, Current equipment is a 2Wire 2701 modem-wireless router with custom firmware. There have been issues with the wall-warts for these and service generally swaps the whole unit instead of replacing the PS.

I continue to benefit from an early promotion. I continue to receive service improvements at no cost, the recent doubling of my 5 mbps to 10 mbps being an example. I don't expect an increase when the fiber roll out reaches me. Frequent promotions will lower prices for everyone.

Comments:

Review by sdiego See Profile

• Location: Tijuana
Good "For the most part the speed is consistent"
Bad "Takes forever to get something fixed"
Overall "Only choice in my area"

The Speeds are consistent, Both Up and Down. Don't have any other choices in our area.

member for 14.9 years, 1567 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sdiego See Profile

• Location: Tijuana
Good "Works Great most of the time"
Bad "Bad Customer Service"
Overall "Expensive but Don't have other choices in this area of Tijuana"

I had perfect service for over two years. Dec 4, 2007 my speeds slowed down, and after about 6 weeks of complaining they finially fixed something somewhere. Customer Service is Really bad, as they know we don't have a choice in this part of Tijuana. Telnor really needs to get with the 21st Century. I am paying about 110 dollars for 4 meg.

member for 14.9 years, 1567 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by musicima See Profile

• Location: 27200
Good "not as bad as the other few providers"
Bad "virtual monopoly, very expensive, Static IP will set you back another $94 per month, terrible speed after rain"
Overall "would love to change provider, but there are no other viable opcions"

Cable is the only other option for 'broadband' but their service is worse than Infinitum's. It's incredible that we still have to pay a huge monthly fee to get a static IP address. When it rains, service crashes very regularly. When you call tech support you'll first have to go through a one hour test procedure before they'll actually want to open a report.