Xmission FIBER page on DSLReports

Review by Geek2014 See Profile

• Location: Orem,Utah,UT
Good "Excellent service, price to value, reliability and management"
Bad "The current broblems with UTOPIA the Fiber Network."
Overall "The best deal in town!"

I have been with Xmission since Utopia fiber cable came to Orem, Utah...about 7 years. Anytime I had problems with service it usually came down to Utopia backbone not Xmission, the ISP. I was always able to reach technical service 24/7 and the Technicians were very capable in quickly diagnosing and fixing a problem. No matter your experience, either a novice or a Computer Science graduate, they were always able to communicate in terms you would understand....not geek speak or excess use of anachronisms. Their pricing and value of service is outstanding. Whether I speak with billing, service, or the CEO they are responsive and truly care about the customer as much as their bottom line.

Of course there has been normal fee changes due to inflation, etc. But every time there has been a fee change it has been well explained. Anyone familiar with UTOPIA knows their less than stellar history as to cost overruns and cost to the cities for their service. I don't know all the details of the contracts originally between UTOPIA and all the Utah cities involved. I just know Orem is facing massive debt and Municipal Bond repayment issues over the history of the contract if the service goes dark. One can try to find blame or a solution. I do know that despite cutbacks and financial issues I believe UTOPIA is tying, in good faith, to keep the network alive and not go dark. Basically only a small portion of Orem has fiber, about 13,000, instead of the whole of Orem. The expected build out hasn't happened. This severally restricts the number of ISP providers willing to invest in service over this network. Xmission has stayed the course and provided excellent service, price and value since first coming to UTOPIA.

When I complained about price increases and was told it was because increased costs on UTOPIA's part to them, they increased my internet speed to 50-100 MBS for no additional cost. I am very pleased with Xmission. I worry about the availability of a fiber network in the future given all the facts. In my opinion, Comcast, Century Link (formerly Quest), Frontier Communications,. et al are circling like vultures expecting to take over UTOPIA for pennies on the dollar and leaving the massive debt for the consortium of cities to pay.

It is interesting to note that the UTAH State Legislature passed legislation that UTOPIA services was to only be available wholesale and not retail. thus stifling competition with "the Big Guys."

UTOPIA is unusual as a fiber network provider in not stopping at the curb of a household, but extending fiber and switches and necessary hardware to the premises, i.e. the individual householder, so that it was a turnkey venture for the public. UTOPIA, The Utah Telecommunication Open Infrastructure Agency is a consortium of 16 Utah cities engaged in deploying and operating a fiber to the premises network to every business and household (about 160,000) within its footprint. Using an active Ethernet infrastructure and operating at the wholesale level, it supports open access and promotes competition in all telecommunications services

So I guess, all in all, even though this is a review of Xmission, the whole story couldn't be explained without the history of the UTOPIA fiber network.

Comments:

Review by cdoxey See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Grove,Utah,UT
Good "Always up, always on, great speeds!"
Overall "A great value!"

I've had Xmission on UTOPIA now for a couple of years, and have been impressed with their uptime and speeds. I'm getting about 15Mbps up and down, and the service is rock solid.

member for 12.3 years, 679 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mrefish See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Speed, cost, tech support, reliability"
Bad "Not available in many locations"
Overall "If you can get xmission's utopia fiber, you won't be disapointed"

Not all Utopia fiber ISPs are equal. I had Mstar and I would advise people to avoid it and go with Xmission. Xmission has been incredibly easy to deal with since the first time I spoke with them on the phone.

I have had the 15Mb/15Mb plan for $40/month, but this plan is limited to total 100GB of traffic/month (which is more than adequate for average user). I needed a bit more because I work from home dealing with high resolution image sets, so I upgraded to the 50Mb/50Mb plan for $60/month which comes with 500GB traffic/month. They even have a statistics page that shows you your daily/monthly usage.

My bandwidth is not throttled despite being a high bandwidth user (not true of Mstar).

The service has been incredibly reliable, and I have had no outages that I am aware of (not true of Mstar).

Customer support is easy to get ahold of and easy to deal with. I prefer contacting them through IRC personally, but they are equally quick and helpful on the phone. I went to their IRC channel ircd.xmission.com #xmlounge (web access is available at »www.xmission.com/about/contact/) before signing up, and I would recommend the same to those looking to switch to them.

I have never been happier with an ISP (previously used Mstar, Comcast Cable, ATT Cable, Qwest DSL, AOL)