Xmission FIBER page on DSLReports

Review by mrefish See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Speed, cost, tech support, reliability"
Bad "Not available in many locations"
Overall "If you can get xmission's utopia fiber, you won't be disapointed"

Not all Utopia fiber ISPs are equal. I had Mstar and I would advise people to avoid it and go with Xmission. Xmission has been incredibly easy to deal with since the first time I spoke with them on the phone.

I have had the 15Mb/15Mb plan for $40/month, but this plan is limited to total 100GB of traffic/month (which is more than adequate for average user). I needed a bit more because I work from home dealing with high resolution image sets, so I upgraded to the 50Mb/50Mb plan for $60/month which comes with 500GB traffic/month. They even have a statistics page that shows you your daily/monthly usage.

My bandwidth is not throttled despite being a high bandwidth user (not true of Mstar).

The service has been incredibly reliable, and I have had no outages that I am aware of (not true of Mstar).

Customer support is easy to get ahold of and easy to deal with. I prefer contacting them through IRC personally, but they are equally quick and helpful on the phone. I went to their IRC channel ircd.xmission.com #xmlounge (web access is available at »www.xmission.com/about/contact/) before signing up, and I would recommend the same to those looking to switch to them.

I have never been happier with an ISP (previously used Mstar, Comcast Cable, ATT Cable, Qwest DSL, AOL)

Comments: