magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by brut7 See Profile

• Location: Babylon,Suffolk,NY
Good "Very Inexpensive"
Bad "Needs an always on Computer"
Overall "Works great, Very Inexpensive"

After reading many reviews here I decided to give it a try.

I'm familiar with VOIP in many flavors having been on P8, Sunrocket and most recently Optimum Voice. I have an old P3 1100 based laptop with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card that I decided to dedicate to this task; it wasn't doing anything anyway. It's wired into my router, not on wireless. I want to use the service like a land line for the whole house. Had the laptop all set up, fresh install of xp sp3 and power options set appropriately. I think a lot of people have computers that are infested with spyware and/or so many BS applications that it slows down the computer to a crawl. With a clean proper computer, the requirements are low. Optonline in my ISP and that is of course, very solid. MajicJack device arrived, plugged in my Uniden wireless phones that I originally got from Sunrocket! One base and 2 sattelites, I replaced the battery packs on all 3 recently and they still work great.

Plugged the jack into the usb 2.0 port, it started doing stuff and downed updates.

I chose my number and after a few minutes it all started working.

I went to the website and downed an update file and it did another update.

Rebooted the computer for good measure.

I called my Mom.

Mom said it sounds fine but had a bit of a too quiet sound to it when no one was talking but it was fine with her.

Did a bit of tweaking on both the laptop and the MJ sofware (not that you can do much) and was ready for the all important "Wife Test"! (dramatic music here).

My wife calls Montreal Canada every day from here on Long Island to talk to her parents and sometimes several times a day. MJ passed the wife test! The in-Laws one of which is hard of hearing said it sounded better than Optimum Voice, especially the hard of hearing one, he had no problem hearing my wife and he had been straining with OV (they have a pots line). BINGO, the primary goal is calling Canada and it passes the test with high marks. Set up my voice mail, forwarded my OV number to MJ, closed the lid on the laptop and put it up on a shelf where it will remain on all the time. A laptop is better for this use as it consumes less energy than a full sized PC but probably a bit more than a full device like a Sunrocket Gizmo. Called Cablevision and reduced my bill from them quite significantly and reduced my TV service as well, down to 65 a month for ISP and basic TV (times are tough). MJ works fine now for a couple of days, no complaints from the wife. At $3.33 a month for the first year and half that for the hopefully next couple, you can't go wrong. Voicemail, caller ID and a working home phone. Two thumbs up.

The Bad, it needs a computer but that wasn't a problem for me. I do wonder how much the electricity for the laptop will actually cost but it's probably not much. Anyone have any ideas on that?

I can't really comment on tech support being someone who usually figures things out himself but it looks like it's not that great though it does seem to have a live instant messanger type service.

Update 6/1/13

I now have a Magicjack Plus device, the advantage being I no longer have to run a laptop or thinclient 24/7, it works all by itself.

The disadvantage is I no longer have any call logs at all, not on the computer or on magicjacks website. If they could make call logs on the website and add e911 it would be much better. The call quality is the same as with the old magickjack or any other good VOIP that I've used, it's excellent. It's nice to have a "real" home phone number in addition to prepaid android cell with google voice app on it.

Update 10/10/14

Have had the new MagicJack Go device for about a month and a different router and a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Everything still works great and passes the wife test Also I paid the 10 bucks or whatever it is and set up E-911. Stupidly I tried it and then hung up and the cops showed up at my house! OK not doing that again Lol.

They are SLIGHTLY shady as I had three months left but when I switched to the new device and it came with a years subscription, I didn't get a new year plus my old three months for 15 months just the new year, 12 months. I believe that happened to me last time around when going to the plus as well. They need to fix that but I'm still a very satisfied fan.

On another note I did think of going to an ObiHai and using it with RingTo but decided to stay with a know good for us.

Best Wishes

Comments:

cb14

hear, hear

" Bad reviews on MJ are probably from people who are technically challenged, impatient or have a lousy ISP."

Really? My ISP works just fine with any OTHER voip provider. Impatient? I was with MJ for 31/2 years( although the last year basically by mistake). Technically challenged? To handle a proprietary ATA?

I will not challenge your overly optimistic ratings but I cannot let one thing go : Even Magic Jack fan boys admit that MJ tech support is near worthless, but you give them 75%. And I rated Callcentric's and Localphone's Tech support with 75% . I guess I owe them an apology....

wanconm

@cableonda.net

When MJ fails, plan on fixing it yourself says ex-MJ fan

I WAS a fan of MJ. I have used it for a couple of years. Have two. I spend a lot of money calling foreign countries with MJ. I did not mind the sometimes lack of quality or dropped calls. I did not mind the occasion call to support to fix something simple. I did not mind the wait while it came up and downloaded my phonebook. BUT NOW I have had to concede that Magic Jack is not worth it. I am a patented electronic engineer from HP labs therefore not technically lacking. My MJ quit working for no apparent reason. Both. On all three computers. Magic Jack support has fixed very simple things before, but they are worthless for anything more. They are script monkeys, just read what is on the screen. They are ignorant, not bright and extremely insincerely script monkeys. They will try the same thing over and over again. They have you load defective software, Anchor Free Hotspot over and over again. You load it and two minutes later it says you have an old version that you must update. They say they are passing you up to the "top level" of support only to an unsuccessful while later pass you up again to the "top level" of support. They make you wait 10 or 15 minutes to be connected to remote access which then never did takes control of your computer. One "highest" level support person told me to close all windows but chat and then do a ctrl-W. It turns out that ctrl-W closes the current window thereby disconnecting the chat. Very clever. And MJ "support" can NEVER reconnect you to the same support person from whom you were disconnected. Each whats to follow their little script from the beginning all over again! Bottom line, 7 hours of time wasted with this worthless support and not only were my magic jacks not working but they had not even tried the obvious, bypassing my router. I did that. It worked for about 10 minutes and then failed (error 3). Btw, I had confirmed with my ISP that they do not block VOIP. So I said to Magic Jack, I have a years of service paid for which I have not used, please give me a PARTIAL refund. They won't do it. The question to ask yourself before getting magic jack is what is 7 hours of frustration and loss time worth to you? I figure I lost whatever money i saved over the years in time not to mention the time previously spent to save that money. MJ=NOT WORTH IT. JUST ANOTHER COMPANY THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT IT'S PRODUCT. My email is wanconm@gmail.com.

khol999

@qwest.net

Re: When MJ fails, plan on fixing it yourself says ex-MJ fan

I had nearly the exact problem! Once you even remotely have anything that is true against what they have script you will just get the message that the chat has ended due to length of none reply, which will happen in about 5 seconds when they have tired reading their script to you. Had another MJ that I wanted a refund on less then 24 hours after renewal due to them dropping their forward feature. They said they would turn it in to the billing dept and be back in touch. I then got in touch with them a week later to see status and they informed me they only refund within 24 hours. What a joke! I would guess that top insurance underwriter is running the billing dept. Deny, Deny, Deny. Customer will give up.

Review by JohnFrandsen See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (60 month contract)
Good "Was the price."
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "Avoid due to bad customer service"

Well...this is the "last straw". Purchased the original MJ with 5 years of service (expires 05/04/2020) but I suppose this "time" is not going to be used as I was going to upgrade to the MJ Plus, but when I found out that my account had an accounting hold because I returned 2 MJs 3 years ago (12/11/2011) and they apparently did not have a record of the return (and I disputed the cc charge and won the dispute). I cannot order/add any services until "they" receive a "money order" for the disputed amount. If "zero" was available then they deserve it...don't buy MagicJack!!!! Very bad customer service!!!!

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15

So...

From what I gather, you never used the service ?

If not, this review needs to be removed, since you never used it.

Re: So...

From my understanding he used it 3 years ago, when he returned it. But regardless, his rating is IMO relatively accurate.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: So...

Actually he/she was quite generous with the ratings.
customer no service and their underhanded biz practices AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Despises any post with strings.

JohnFrandsen
join:2014-01-20
Melbourne, FL

I did use the service...

And tried to buy more but was prevented since they never "recorded" that I returned 2 units and but a hold on my account. So I would avoid MJ like the plague!!

RGS57

@108.83.1.x

Re: I did use the service...

Well, I've been using my MJ+ for a while and it is saving me 40 bucks a month. I really haven't needed customer service as yet but the device actually works.

Review by SlowFreddy See Profile

• Location: Bennettsville,Marlboro,SC
Good "Great Sound Quality..Easy Install..Save Big Bucks!"
Bad "Only if your Electricty is cut Off"
Overall "Talk All Day..NO PHONE BILLS..Buy From Many Outlets"

April 1, 2014

UPDATE:.. MagicJack is still working flawlessly..BOTH OF THEM! Bought a New 10 dollar phone for my MagicJack Plus, the old phone got wet, From Talking So Much on MagicJack.. MagicJack is one the the BEST deals of my life, no joke.. I have saved lots of money over these 5 years and not a Problem with my MagicJack. Sound Quality is the BEST. My cousin ask me if I'm gonna ask her , "How Does My MagicJack Sound today", every time I call her. Check out the MagicJack website, Amazon, WalMart or many other outlets that sell MagicJack. No, I don't get Paid to say good things about MagicJack, MagicJack has PAID me, in SAVINGS!. YES, the 'OLD", Phone company had to come an take their line of the house..(but I still have AT&T Uverse internet), and together, they make a Great combination. MagicJack a Deal of Lifetime. All those wet eyes in the Office, will dry-up with a New MagicJack Plus.. Thanks, have a MagicJack day!

Bought MagicJack about 4 years ago, got a deal on the 5 year plan @ 49,00 dollars. took about 5 days to get shipped in to my house (now you can buy at your Local electronice store). setup was a Breeze, about 10 minutes, just plug-in (smaller than a Pack of cigarettes) n go. they have 800 numbers, Vanity numbers and you can pick a number you like, (if available) for your local area code are and outside of your state code.MagicJack plugs into your USB port, (use the extension cord), if you plug direct with MagicJack sticking out, you can drop something on it and break the Plug off..use the extension and let it hang down insted.. you have to dial your (1)-area code, then the number you want to connect to. I like MagicJack and the Sound quality is really as good as regular Phone are better (only speaking from my experience). Made the phone company take all their wires off the house, (hehe). SO INEXPENSIVE!..you dont need a computer that stays on all night, just a connection with the new MagicJack. make sure your Old phone isnt Corroded where your line connects before install. use a Regular phone (I have a 10 dollar one) and it works Great. MagicJack is a Great Deal, GO check MagicJack out. Thanks..

Magicjack is still working strong. Got the new Magicjack Plus about a month ago and it works great and the old MagicJack is working as usual. The new MagicPlus is about 29 dollars a year. Still using the old 10 dollar cordless phone and works on both regular and Plus Magicjacks. I will be getting another phone for the New MagickJack Plus. I use two different phone numbers. These are two different devices so I advise to get the MagicJack Plus, it works in a computer or just plug into your wall socket, plug in your internet connection and phone. Really simple and so inexpensive. If your power goes down you want have a line of communication through MagicJack, so you may want to invest in a USB backup system, if you are concerned. My power has been down maybe three times since my first review and the longest was a little over an hour during a lightning storm. None of my equipment is used anyway, during a storm. You can buy MagicJack from many retailers, or order direct from MagicJack. Save lots of MONEY, go get a MAGICJACK PLUS, just my opinion. Thanks for looking and and have a great day!

Comments:

WSL

@bhn.net

Doesn't work worth beans

This was one of my bigger mistakes. The quality is awful, constantly breaking up, cuts off in the middle of a conversation, tells me to dial the area code when I already did and I could go on. The customer service is a pain in the neck and then you don't know if the problem is solved until you use it again and for more than a quick chat since my problems would happen after being on the phone for a few minutes. Not worth the price.
mattmac

join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL

Re: Doesn't work worth beans

It's all about your Internet connection people! if your Internet connection sucks Magic Jack will suck also you will find if you don't run MagicJack is a service on your computer it's not going to work very well. Never had a problem with MagicJack and will never go back to phone company or other provider.

BadNarc

@centurytel.net

MJ Works Great

Just installed my new Magic Jack 2014 to replace my original Magic Jack. You have to realized that the MJ is only as good as your internet, if you have a good internet connection and speed (No COPPER WIRES and about 10 mbps) you will have the finest deal on the market. BEWARE of one thing, when MJ installs their software for the new MJ 2014, they load up on a bunch of junk (ASK toolbar, etc.) that will immediately infect your computer. DON'T LET THEM INSTALL IT!
SlowFreddy

join:2009-07-10

Re: MJ Works Great

Well... I do have Uverse Internet @18MB..using the Two wire copper, without any problems. Maybe there's something to your claim, but works great for me. Still have the OLD MagicJack and the New MagicJack 2014 . Both work great on my computer and the MagicJack 2014 works just as great in the 110V outlet. the 2014 MagicJack is good to take on the road or a trip, then you can use it in another area, when away from home. Haven't seen any New advertisements on the Interface, just the MagicJack ads and no spam. Never been INFECTED by MagicJack, or it's software. That's strange. LOVE MY MAGICJACK..save a BUNDLE of dollars.

Review by swanboy See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "VERY cheap, ok call quality, Increasing number of area codes, works with Mac"
Bad "None. They give me everything I expect, including limited tech support (given the price)"
Overall "The cheapest phone service."

·ooma
The forums have been quite insane recently, mainly because of the SunRocket debacle, along with the common madness that DSLR always pleasantly hosts. I am a SR orphan and have since been searching for a relatively cheap alternative. Packet8 seemed like the best choice, but I recently ran into MagicJack, was very intrigued- and promised a few members here that I'd review it when I received the order. Well, today is that day. So here it is:

Ordered: 07/18

Shipped: 07/19

Received: 07/23

It arrived in a surprisingly professional retail-looking package, complete with a hole at the top for hanging on retail shelves. Anyway, I unpacked it and made use of the convenient little USB extension cord included with it.

The most interesting part of setting it up is that fact that the device is ENTIRELY plug and play in XP. On my desktop, it took around 50 seconds to install the various drivers and auto-launch the setup & registration dialogs. I was too excited to take screen shots, I apologize.

The dialog requested my email address, my zip code, and the setup of a password. After that, it wanted my address of 911 registration. I live in South Florida, so when I was prompted to pick a number, I was disappointed to only see about 5 states offered as local numbers currently. But, I read up on the MJ literature, my area code (and most) should be available in the next 60 days, good. I settled for a number out of Detroit. (Meanwhile, I’m using a GrandCentral number to forward to my MJ line.) After I picked my phone number, the screen changed to a normal looking soft-phone (see screen shot.)

I grabbed a cordless phone, plugged it in, and was happy to hear a dial-tone. First call was flawless, perfect clarity. I totally didn’t expect incoming calls to work, but to my surprise my cordless rang when I dialed the Detroit phone number from my cell. Another perfect call. I bought the device purely out of curiosity, not a true solution to a new VoIP provider. Turns out… I seemingly found my solution.

Keep in mind a few things: Price: $40 So obviously, with this price does NOT come with all the fancy features and web portals. Honestly, I wouldn’t expect it.. it’s $40. For those who don’t know, there is $0 monthly charge, only a $19.95 annual fee. That is, frankly, laughable if they are truly going to offer what they say they are. Always the service is still beta, and just launched for purchase earlier this month. I expect more features to be introduced as the service matures. As I type this, I am on the phone using MagicJack. It’s quite impressiveMJ may not be for everyone, but I for one don’t mind having to have the thing plugged in my computer. I would expect MJ to support some adapters coming up in the future. . For those who recognize the swanboy name, you know I’m usually not one to jump up and down with rave reviews, but this is a industry first, revolutionary product in my opinion, and I wanted to get an organized review out there for those who were waiting. I say go for it.

I'd be happy to entertain any questions.

For more details, see my screenshots, etc: »My review of MagicJack

UDATE 12/31/13:

So I don't use them as my main providers any more, but I still use MJ frequently when traveling. Quality is generally acceptable, but obviously no where near ooma. For the price, it's fine. No big complaints.

Comments:

kelbie

@sbcglobal.net

magic jack

Don't believe all the hype about Magic Jack; the glowing reviews must have been written by relatives or friends. My Magic Jack never worked properly--static, low volume and echoes. And now Magic Jack won't release my number back to AT&T, so I have to change phone numbers and wait 6 days for my landline to work. Another customer at AT&T has been fighting with MJ for 2 months, and they still won't release her number. My next call is to Better Business Bureau.

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Very low price, good call quality"
Bad "Dropped calls, outgoing calls to certain prefixes blocked, cannot receive incoming anonymous calls"
Overall "Spend another $5-$10 a month and get a decent home phone service"

(This is for the MagicJack Plus, not the original MagicJack)

I got a MagicJack Plus for my sister about a year ago (November 2012). I gave about $70 for it at an area Best Buy after sales tax and a 5% cash back on my credit card.

Website: We never really used it much after I initially setup the MJ+ for her, but it didn't seem too difficult.

Ease of Installation: About the simplest VoIP there is to setup. It was a bit easier that setting up an Ooma and definitely easier than setting up my Obi110 with Callcentric at my house.

Call Quality: Quite good when talking to my sister on her MJ line from my Callcentric line and OK before I ported my AT&T landline to Callcentric. My sister has had some call quality issues when talking to people on cell phones (I forget what exactly the issues were at the moment). When talking to her on her MJ line from my cell phone, the call was sometimes staticy.

Reliability: My sister's MJ+ service was plagued with dropped calls, blocked calls to certain prefixes (including the Cleveland weather number and the Cleveland Louis Stokes VA Medical Center), inability to receive anonymous calls (1), service sometimes going down (2). She also complained of not getting messages on her answering machine. I tried the following to fix the dropped calls: 1) used the short USB cord included in the package to connect her MJ+ to the USB port on the power plug- her MJ+ ran quite hot when plugged directly into the power plug, 2) downgraded her MJ+'s firmware to an older version as suggested in a thread in another forum, 3) replaced AC power strip with a new one.

Tech Support: Never had to use them, or at least I did some online searching and found my answers so I didn't waste time with their useless chat support.

I got my sister an Ooma Telo Air and set it up for her about a week ago (her MJ line has expired). The initial setup was a bit rocky, and she reported the next day that the Ooma flower logo was red (blinking?) and got a busy when she tried to call out, but when she called her Ooma number, it worked OK. She hasn't mentioned any issues since. The Ooma would have been twice as expensive as the MagicJack a year ago, but in the long run, we would have been better off. We did a "redneck" number port- my sister put a message on her MJ number asking callers to call her easy-to-remember Ooma number- saves $40 and the headaches of porting out of MJ!

(1) According to what I read when I did a Google search, MagicJack started blocking incoming anonymous/private calls about 2 years ago, and there's no way to unblock them and allow them to get through! The outgoing caller ID on my work phone is blocked and I can't unblock it by dialing *82, so I had to burn cell minutes to call her MJ+ line.

(2) I used my old Netgear WNR834B router, flashed to DD-WRT and setup in Wireless Bridge mode, to connect my sister's MJ+ to the wifi she uses.

member for 12.4 years, 4156 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

vze327veriz

@verizon.net

Before You Buy Magic Jack Read This

This is the actual transcript from my attempt to have Magic Jack stop the annoying message played every time I make a call. It started 1 month before my number would expire. Nice to get a reminder but every time I make a call for a month. I requested they stop and that's when the run around started. It is nothing other than an attempt to get an early payment. Read it and you be the judge. The message lenght is 19 seconds long.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Jaclyn'
Your Issue ID for this chat is (removed)
Jaclyn: Hello, how may I help you?
James : Hi Jaclyn, Every time I pick up my phone I get this annoying message about a number expiring which I’m aware of. It expires on Jan 19th 2014 so I have plenty of time. I want you to stop harassing me with that annoying message every time I make a call. You are wasting MY VALUBLE TIME.
Jaclyn: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Jaclyn: Let me assist you with that.
Jaclyn: This is your magicJack phone number (removed) right?
James : Yes!
Jaclyn: Thank you.
Jaclyn: Please wait while I check that for you
James : Please, what is the solution? I need to get back to doing what I do so I don't have time to waste. This is taking too long already. It's a simple thing to fix. Stop the message.
Jaclyn: One moment please...
Jaclyn: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Myrene'
Your Issue ID for this chat is (removed)
Myrene: Hi! Myrene here from the higher level of support.
James: Please stop the run around.
Myrene: Please give me a moment review/rectify the previous chat/s to better assist you. No need to copy and paste any previous conversation. Thank you.
Myrene: I'm not running around, James. I'm here to assist you.
James : you are the second person already and it's a simple solution. Stop the message.
James : I am very busy and time is money.
Myrene: I understand your concern here. However, we are not harassing you here, James. That expiring phone number message is a reminder that your phone number is about to expire on January 19, 2014. That reminder will disappear if you renew your phone number. Of course, after that reminder, the call will still go through.
James : I don't need a reminder every time I make a call and I will pay it before it is due. Now I have warned Magic Jack that I consider this harassment so if it does not stop very quickly I will call the FCC and file a complaint about harassing me. It’s my phone and it’s my time you are wasting. What are you kidding me? Give me a phone number I can call because this is bull. If I had to rate Magic Jack service it would be off the chart because it would be below ZERO.
Myrene: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Myrene: Okay. I understand and respect your decision. However, we are not kidding here. We are here to help but that expiry message is only a reminder not harassment. The call will go through after the reminder. We use Tech Chat to better assist you. By using Tech Chat, we can send you instant upgrade links and run several diagnostic tests, that cannot be done over the telephone. We are also able to see where you are located, what OS and Internet browser you are using. Lastly we can see that your Internet connection is working too. This will provide the best Customer care experience and keep you most satisfied.
James : Look, my only interest is to stop the message because once again, YOU ARE WASTING MY VALUBLE TIME. I make a $100/hour doing what I do and you are costing me time and time is money. It is my phone and number so stop playing the message. I have a legal right to request that you stop and legally you must. Do you understand what I have requested?
Myrene: I got that, James. However, that expiry reminder will only disappear if the subscription is renewed. Unfortunately, we have no control over that unless the subscription is renewed.
Myrene: I have not heard from you in a while. Do you wish to continue this chat session?
James : Of course you have control. Magic Jack put the message there so they can take it away. This is nothing other than an attempt to get an early payment. It is not due until January 19, 2014. This is the last I'll demand the message stops or it goes to the FCC and I'll be seeking damages for the harassment. Clearly you don't understand the laws in Massachusetts. Now give me a phone number I can call because this has cost me over a half hour already and trust me you can't wear me down which seems to be the attempt.
Myrene: I understand that James but that message is a system generated prompt and will only disappear if the subscription is renewed. Magicjack is not based in Massachusetts. We use Tech Chat.
James : I am, so you fall under the Massachusetts laws if you are doing business with Massachusetts customers. The next time I get good service from Magic Jack will be the first time. Magic Jack hides being Tech chat so they don't have to deal with issues. Have a nice day because I'm done wasting time with Magic jack. My next call is the FCC and Massachusetts Attorney General for the harassment which I have tried to get you to understand so don't say you didn't understand.
Myrene: I will be right with you.
Myrene: I perfectly understand your situation, however I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed. I will close this chat now. if you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to chat us back. Thank you
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magic Jack.com/techchat

Review by crogers See Profile

• Location: Summerfield,Marion,FL
Good "cheap but no real value"
Bad "Horrible audio, dropped calls and voicemail a week after it was left."
Overall "OMG I might as well just use the US postal service. "

I got magic jack on the recommendation of a friend. He has the basic device and is semi ok with the service but he likes cheap and that is his main factor. I had to buy the 50some odd dollar device because that is all they offer now. I installed it and have to constantly reboot over and over. calls drop and also do not go through. I end up using my cell anyway. voice mail is erratic at best. sometimes I will get voicemail that was left a week prior.Audio is horrible. Constant crackling and the other party saying you have to cal back with a different phone. I have high speed internet and have no speed issues. I constantly miss calls because the phone does not ring but the user interface will show missed calls. have tried multiple phones from cheap to outrageously expensive. and no call forwarding. If you want call forwarding you have to pay (per minute) ridiculous. BUYER BEWARE!!! i have never in my life written a review. I feel so compelled to save others the trouble so here I am. If I save one person the headaches I have then this was worth the time. Thank you. Sincerely, Charles Rogers.

Comments:

Berny

@electronicbox.net

Magicjack

Well...to have tried MagicJack I can tell you that's it's not perfect at all. Cheap but not perfect. BUT your router play a great roll in that imperfection. Try to put your magicjack in dmz zone in your router and try again. You should hear a big difference.

By the way, I tried Magicjack, Nettalk and voip.ms. Voip.ms is the way to go. But it's not as cheap as the too other unless you don't call often.
mattmac

join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL

Re: Magicjack

I had no problems with Magic Jack once it was set up correctly. One of the things that I had to do was use it through my computer and not just plugged into the wall I found using the computer software and device is much more stable than the standalone device I know this might be a concerned to some that don't leave your computers on 24/7 but for me it's not a problem. Also with the gentleman mentioned before I put the software on my router in the DMZ and also it's own partition on my hard drive no problem since.. I would give it another shot. Best phone service I ever had for $20 a year!
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Try the free app.

You can use it free with the Android app and don't even have to buy a device! I would try that and if it works OK there is something wrong with your setup or maybe you internet is flaky and can't handle VOIP. Obviously you need a good, steady internet connection or it's not going to work well.
raehrlich

join:2003-11-23
Hamel, MN

My Experience with Magic Jack

I give magic jack about a 8 out 10. The product works great as long as I don't have network issues, which is completely outside of Magic Jack's control. Sometimes, there just isn't enough bandwidth and Magic Jack suffers because voice communication is real-time. Web browser and media streaming apps aren't as susceptible to minor delays and latency, but VoIP can be.

I use Magic Jack as a business line and a second line for the residence. Works great during the day hours, but I sometimes know in the afternoon and evenings when my kids are home streaming Netflix or doing some high-end online gaming. Again, not Magic Jack's fault for me not having enough bandwidth or my internet connection not being clean.

I have three issues with the product: First, the volume level is low or is much lower than the old landline. Second, is the voice mail message indicator on some of the phones won't work with it. It uses shutter-tone and maybe related to the volume level being so low. Third, is that I cannot dial some toll-free numbers. Luckily, I can dial a direct long distance number and it doesn't cost anything.

I find Magic Jack a good alternative to getting a second POTS (old landline), especially when you consider the cost. When I have a good reliable internet connection is works great, but there a few minor issues that I deal with.

P.S. I recently tried the Magic Jack app for Android. I found it promising, but the internet connection was too poor for good quality conversation. Again, not Magic Jack's fault for poor internet access. I did like the fact that both the deskside phone that Magic Jack was connected to and the Android app would ring. Once the call is taken one on device, it wasn't available to the other. One big complaint that I have and so do many who commented on the App store, was the app really sucked down the battery.

Review by twc44 See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "5 or 6 years of good service"
Bad "abrupt change in service quality"
Overall "too unpredictable, poor tech support, "

After several years of good magicjack service which included it working on both my pc and laptop, the device developed crackling sounds, poor audio, and would drop calls. My chat session with magicjack to resolve the issues was reaching close to 5 hours and had 5 techs involved when my patience gave out. The first tech gave up and said that one of the top 10% techs as rated by customers would help me. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th techs all said the same thing. The 5th tech made some progress, but it didn't last. The same issues surfaced after I ended the chat as I had had 5 hours earlier. A couple of techs even had control of the machine, making changes. Nothing worked. Last year, because of 5 or 6 years of good service, I purchased a 5 yr plan. Unfortunately, I'll lose out there because I'm changing providers - and not to another VOIP phone. If magicjack had better service (a live person to talk to, and an email address) I might be inclined to work through the issue. But given that they don't, my stay with the company is over. Recently they've added a 911 charge and a yearly reoccurring charge to port a number is also in effect. It's still the cheapest phone service available. Unfortunately, quality in a couple of areas is in question and where will it be in the future.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·Optimum Voice
·Callcentric

No reason to knock other VoIP companies

said by twc44:

You chose to use what everyone knows is the cheapest and crappiest provider.

So your story is no surprise.

But for you to then imply that [ALL] VoIP is bad, does not logically follow.

There are plenty of good VoIP providers out there.

-----

Suppose you took a vacation in Syria and had a lousy time. Would you say "I'll never go on vacation again" ?

said by PX Eliezer:

said by twc44:

You chose to use what everyone knows is the cheapest and crappiest provider.

So your story is no surprise.

But for you to then imply that [ALL] VoIP is bad, does not logically follow.

There are plenty of good VoIP providers out there.

-----

If you do not like a vacation in Syria you can always choose Somalia next year.

MJ is not the cheapest provider, Google Voice is, at $ 0 costs. MJ is o of the two crappiest, closely followed by Nettalk.
How can somebody give 75% rating to MJ's customer support? I gave 75% rating to Localphone CS and comparing those two is like comparing Embassy Suites with an empty barrel under a freeway overpass. And 75% call quality? Maybe in one of those lucky minutes.
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·Optimum Voice

said by cb14:

MJ is not the cheapest provider, Google Voice is, at $ 0 costs.

You know what I meant.

Cheapest commercial provider, whatever.

For that matter I could discuss [Brring] where the company paid users to make calls. Or Alcazar Networks where they pay big users to make TF calls.... So those were/are even cheaper than Google Voice. (On Beyond Zebra, as Dr. Seuss said)
twc44

join:2013-10-12
usa
·magicjack.com
I had tried two other voip services in the past - voipo and vontage - but was not satisfied with them. Perhaps there are better ones. A new development: In the past the magicjac worked on my Windows 7 laptop and on my XP Pro pc. The problems started when I changed to a new Windows 7 PC. Then magicjack wouldn't load (at times), dropped calls (at times), and had poor audio always with both windows 7 machines, even though the laptop had previously run magicjack fine! Today out of curiosity, I reconnected my old XP machine to magicjack and .. it is running perfectly. So, it's too confusing for my technologically challenge mind. I'll take a simple landline for $20/month with a Charter bundle.

Re: No reason to knock other VoIP companies

You are free to do that. But if you followed this forum you would know that there are plenty excellent VOIP providers for way below $ 20/month.

On edit: I see that you call yourself a business customer. I used MJ once for business- by making the mistake of calling somebody with it. he could not find my business card right away so he stored the number in his cell and called me back- repeatedly for three days with no avail because the voice mail malfunctioned so I never got the message. I lost $ 4000.- . Do not use a child's toy for business.

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "No longer needs to be connected to a computer!!"
Bad "They block access numbers to calling cards!!"
Overall "for $40 a year you can't go wrong.. But when they start blocking numbers they are interfering with my phone and got dropped."

9/8/2012
Going back to Vonage because Magic Jack is blocking the local access number to the calling card we are dialing to make international calls. They are declaring them conference line numbers and instead of connecting me they try to offer me prepaid conference line numbers. (finger)

9/4/2012
Now using MagicJack Plus as my land line phone! I couldn't pass up the new Plus feature of using it as a stand alone device plugged directly into the outlet. I'm paying an extra $10 per year ($50 total) because Ive ported my phone number over from Vonage. Been having a little issue with it needing a reset by unplugging the device completely. I contacted support via live chat and they had me install the user interface on my laptop. That installation pushed a new "firmware" onto the device. So far I haven't seen any issues. Since I chose stand-alone setup the MagicJack Plus device never received any updated firmware???

7/14/2011
No longer have the connections in the Philippines and no longer using the devices.. When the connection was reliable MagicJack performed great and I would refer anyone to use it. As time went on from the 12/2009 install the Wireless internet connection deteriorated to the point that a phone call was not capable of being made or received. Globe Telecom's fault.

7/10/2010

I guess everything is OK. Our calls to and from the Philippines are just fine. At times I hear an echo but I think the DSL connection in the Philippines is at fault with latency issues.

12/22/2009

Installed and registered a local phone # with ease at home and brought it to the Philippines. Works great even with a connection rated at 800kbps down and 200kbps up. I made all sorts of calls to Chicago and Canada with no issues at all. Both parties can hear each other when an accidental double talk occurs.

I wont be spending $100 per month on international calls anymore.

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

Why got get a REAL voip company....

Instead of going back to Vonage, why not select someone who doesn't stink.

Have a look at the report ratings here, the top dog is CallCentric out of NY. If you need help with it, let me know... That's THE king on VOIP.

·Vonage

Re: Why got get a REAL voip company....

I went back to them because they just now included the Philippines with unlimited calls to Globe telecom. And non Globe subscriber's cost just 9 cents per minute which is the same rate as the prepaid telecom I was using all these years. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I got rid of MJ and their number blocking and get rid of the prepaid access number I had to dial all these years. Also since I was a returning customer I got a new VOIP device for free (I replaced the one that was giving me connection issues and helped me decide to drop them back in May) and along with a 30 day no-strings attached trial period.

Lena

@alter.net
MajicJack works only at the beginning of the service, and the closer you are towards the renewal of the service - the worse service you get. So to call this Company "Kings" - I would think twice!

No to add - customer service is HORRIBLE. You can never talk to a live person.

Chicago, IL

Re: Why got get a REAL voip company....

said by Lena :

. So to call this Company "Kings" - I would think twice!

I believe he was calling CallCentric "King on the VOIP"

wow

100% for call quality? My,my... a lucky guy. And it is difficult to give their tech support more than 0.

Re: wow

Yes, 100% for call quality. My internet at 25/5 was more than enough to produce a clear call. Their tech support is non-existent and to get help you have to call a pay per minute line..

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
·Future Nine Corp..

said by CUBS_FAN:

Bandwidth is the least of your worries with voip.

It's Jitter, Latency and Packet loss that are the VOIP killers. A 1.5/350 connection with low latency, low jitter and no packet loss will wipe the floor with a 25/5 connection that has higher jitter and latency if you only produce two to three simultaneous calls. Of packet loss, there should be none at all these days.

said by Davesworld:

with a 25/5 connection that has higher jitter and latency

I just left Comcast due to the issues you've mentioned. The person who I was calling complained that I was breaking up. At the same time I was getting the lowest 15ms ping responses from local servers and 40% of them were lost. Some replies were 1000ms & up. I gave up and moved on to VDSL U-Verse which isn't shared and has little or no jitter at all being a designated line and not shared with the neighbors..

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA

Re: wow

I would love VDSL. I have ADSL for the same reasons you mention. The only cable I would ever consider is business class and even then I'm not sure you would get higher priority over bandwidth on your node with all your neighbors.

Re: wow

That's a good point. Business class or not, you're still sharing the line.
What's good about VDSL is they have the 45/6 package available on my line too. the 24/3 connected by wireless gives me about 22 down and 2.9 up.. Can't complain about the upload.

Re: wow

I have absolutely no issues with VOIP on my VDSL line. I had issues with Magic Junk. So had other people and so do have other people who still use that garbage and I have to talk to them.

Re: wow

MagicJunk is a pretty good nickname for them. They are the main reason's why everyone is getting solicitations from overseas caller's showing local #'s trying to fool people into answering the phone without knowing its some stupid salesman or scammer from Nigeria.
I had MJ+ for such a short period of time that I never knew if I fixed the problem with it periodically losing sync requiring a power cycle of the device by simply unplugging it. And the thing about blocking conference call lines is a whole other bag of apples to talk about.

Review by Yakov See Profile

• Location: Buford,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Nothing. Just a good price."
Bad "For that good price you'll get a crap."
Overall "Cheap is cheap!"

Cheap is cheap! Think twice before purchasing this device. Most of the reviews you will read on internet are fake, created by their marketing team. Just imagine – would you run to your computer to write a good review if you are completely satisfied? You are writing a review only if you are angry and want to take your revenge. If everything works fine you just forget about that.

You will have 30 days trial period. Within that time everything will work fine. I started having problems on the very next day after the trial period ended. I’ve been with the Magicjack for about 40 days and already sick and tired of their Customer NO service and technical problems.

If you purchase the device be ready to frequent disconnections. You will not hear your opponents in most cases they are calling you. They will have to either redial few times or you will redial them.

The Magicjack company has no phone number on their site. The only way to contact them is a live chat. I had to chat almost every day in order to reset the device on their end and it did not fix the problem.

They also promised me that I could continue to use my Google Voice IP number when I decided to switch to Magicjack. And within 30-days trial I could use it. On the day 31-st I lost this service. Per their operator: As per terms of service , you can't connect to a non ILEC number if you do not have an IPP on your phone .. This part of Terms of service was already fully implemented.

How could I two weeks ago?

They advertise millions of customers are join their company, but they don’t tell you how many customers leave after they experienced problems with them. Cheap is cheap!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Not Just Cheap But Free!

The service is Free if you use the Android app so try that and you'll have nothing to complain about.

Due diligence

There are enough real reviews out there warning any potential buyer. If you did your homework this would not have happened to you.

Review by khol999 See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Not So Much... Only In The Beginning"
Bad "Yup. Bad About Sums Them Up."
Overall "If you like headaches and the feeling of being ripped off, magicjack is for you"

Once you even remotely have anything that is true against what they have script you will just get the message that the chat has ended due to length of none reply, which will happen in about 5 seconds when they have tired reading their script to you. Had another MJ that I wanted a refund on less then 24 hours after renewal due to them dropping their forward feature. In one day they charged a renewal for $30+, then a port charge was $30+, then a yearly vanity line charge $10.00+. They also made 3 accounts for the same # and kept trying to get me to renew on each!?! They said they would turn it in to the billing dept and be back in touch. I then got in touch with them a week later to see status and they informed me they only refund within 24 hours. What a joke! I would guess that top insurance underwriter is running the billing dept. Deny, Deny, Deny. Customer will give up.

Bottom line... you will not end up saying money. You will think your getting a smoking deal, then about a year later, you will be forced to go to their online chatting only customer service which is monkeys reading from a monkey script and it will go on and on and on. Then you will end up losing multiple hours of your life and not getting anywhere. You will either have to get ripped off or cancel account that you will NOT be getting refunded for No Matter What!