magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by dslrep0990 See Profile

• Location: Brighton,Suffolk,MA
Good "Easy to install"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Steer clear of MagicJack!!"

MagicJack is a good idea but the company that's behind it is terrible.

Let's see... dropped calls, appalling call quality, misleading advertising, total absence of customer service (the best you can hope is a "live chat" that will have you wait forever for responses or an email "support" service that's beyond inept), insufficient bandwidth (you'll get lots of fast-busy signals if you call abroad), mandatory adware that comes included in their software, calls are charged as soon as you start dialing (you should only be charged for actual call time once the connection has been established, not for when you dial or when the line is ringing), and finally their web site which provides no really useful information. This is a 100% unresponsive company.

Adding insult to injury, when the software of the MagicJack gadget runs afoul (it does happen often) you are automatically redirected to the MagicJack home page, where an aggravating video of the daughter of the CEO speaking in an affected tone of her Dad the inventor of the MagicJack and her two puppies Magic and Jack plays automatically and will finish to make your day time and time again...

PASS ON THIS LOUSY COMPANY, THERE ARE OTHER, MUCH BETTER VOIP SERVICE PROVIDERS OUT THERE!!!

Comments:

Review by technoguy1 See Profile

• Location: North Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL

I was not satisfied with voice quality. Calls used to drop after some time. Customer service executive said there was some problem with my internet connection, though I was already using a high speed internet connection from etherlink.

Comments:

Review by harpritpal

• Location: l7a3k
Good "able to make long distance calls"
Bad "unfair and looters"

Magic Jack customer service is very bad. infact they are looters. they asked
me to pay $9.95 for the shipping for my majic jack, but they charged to my
account $14.25. when i contacted them they told that they told me $9.95 by
the mistake of their customer representative. rap cut the chat with me
telling that nothing can be done now. I will never recommend Majic jack. I
have disconnected my connection. Their sent majic jack is lying unused with
me. dont trust majic jack.

(review was emailed from domain live.com)

Comments:

Review by rocky7 See Profile

• Location: Corvallis,Benton,OR
Good "worked fine with IE8 and win7"
Bad "won't work with IE9 and win 7"
Overall "they tell me to roll back to IE8 but offer no credit for NO service with IE9"

First they tell me MagicJack won't work with IE9, and to roll back to IE8, but they won’t offer me a credit for my NO SERVICE with IE9. There is NO mention of IE9 not working anywhere on their web site. Then they say that they can make IE9 work, if they log in to my computer and change my computer settings, but they won’t tell me what the settings to my computer will be. I asked repeatedly for a list of computer settings, but they WOULD NOT offer them to me. I will not compromise my computer security for phone service. NO CREDIT for NO SERVICE and NO LIST of SETTINGS, WHAT are THEY tiring to HIDE?

Comments:

Review by voipuser42 See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Bad "sucks"
Overall "not worth it"

This message summarizes the problem:
"Please listen to this entire message.
Your phone carrier has routed this call improperly.
This call is being identified as a local call, and it should be identified as a long distance call.
To complete this call, please call your carrier's customer service number.
Or dial 305-848-8288, wait for a dial tone, and enter the number you are trying to reach."

Magicjack expects you to contact all potential callers and have them call their providers to fix the routing issue. Unless you do that, you can't be sure if people will be able to call you on your magicjack number.
I have no confidence in this service. I wonder what other services don't work.

Update on 2/19/2011: To date, OOMA subscribers (at least my friends who have OOMA) are not able to call magicjack. Sometimes they get the above message, some times they get the message that the call cannot be completed as dialed. Who knows where the problem is. How are we to figure out and fix?

Comments:

Review by ricker2 See Profile

• Location: Sun Prairie,Dane,WI
Good "cheap"
Bad "you get what you pay for"
Overall "too many hassels"

Have had issues with mj for the past 6 months. Any noise in the cable line can cause static or dropped calls. Have to restart mj when computer is woken up. When prompted to enter a number for a specific department the other side doesn't respond to the keypad entry. Save your money.

member for 12.5 years, 166 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by algollyer See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "price, call quality"
Bad "tech support, error messages"
Overall "avoid it -- but at the price you can buy it and throw it away"

Worked for two years, then a terminal failure after the last software update -- and tech support won't roll it back

»net-statistics.net/wordpress/201 ··· failure/

Comments:

Review by rnikischer See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,La Salle,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Poor voice quality"
Overall "Not a substitute for a real VOIP service."

UPDATE

October 6, 2009

I have tried to like the MagicJack service. I have used it for over 2 years now. There just isn't anything I can say that is positive about it. I finally unplugged the device from my computer and I am throwing in the towel. Poor call quality is the main reason. Now before you try telling me how it must be my ISP I have to say that I have been using VOIP service for years and have had little to no issues with call quality except for Magicjack. Calls are garbled and many times the person on the other end complains about not being able to hear me properly. I figure that if they don't have a good product by now, they never will. If you aren't looking for top notch reliable service and price is your only concern then I suppose Magicjack is the ticket. Otherwise, go with a reliable VOIP company, you will be better off in the long run. Now I have to sit down and read how to get this crappy software off my computer since there is no uninstall for it!

UPDATE

April 20, 2009

I've had the service for quite some time and from the very beginning I didn't feel comfortable with Magicjack being my primary phone service. Well nearly 2 years later and my thoughts haven't changed one bit. They sure know how to late-night market the hell out of this product and then they leave you hanging. Call quality and reliability is erratic. Service is non-existent. This is best suited as a second line when it does work. My guess is that after 2 years if they haven't got it right by now then chances are they never will. My best advice would be to take your money and buy the Jack Lalane power juicer or the sham wows instead. You probably will get much more use out of them.

UPDATE

11/6/2007

"Soon" seems to be the buzzword with this company. There have been some additional cities added to the list of available numbers but many more are still needed. They have been promising a webportal and other enhancements for months and someone claiming to be Dan Borislaw who posts here said that by the end of October these will take effect. Well it's the first week of November and I am lucky if I can keep my number working. Many times the servers are down and you have no service or no 911 or both.

Anytime anyone posts a negative someone shoots back that the product is in "beta." Well, when the hell does it come out of beta? It's been in beta for over 6 months already. They need to get their act together and start providing what they have promised to provide. Their customers are many times left hanging. They add new numbers and their current customers can't even switch over because the web portal isn't available. The Borislaw poster said that they will provide their beta customers an opportunity to get vanity numbers if they want to switch their number - wana bet that will never happen either?

It's high time for them to "put up or shut up!"

Original Post

I signed up for MagicJack a few weeks ago and received the device within a few days. Opened up the package and plugged into my USB port and within a few minutes I was up and running.

I wasn't too crazy about the phone number selections, absolutely nothing within my area (Metro Chicago) but they promised many new area codes by August 31st.

Now that the date has arrived for the new telephone numbers, nada - zero - zilch from the company. No news and no numbers but a lot of rumors circulating on their forums about extending the time frame.

I don't like the fact that any service or response from the company seems non-existent. They do not answer members in their forums and hardly ever reply to emails. They have no telephone numbers to call them either. They do claim to have a live chat support however for the several times that I visited it (during the hours it is supposed to be staffed) the only people I communicated with were other users looking for help.

Call quality has been good. But their software is a bit buggy. I don't like the fact that every time you start the computer up you have to physically select your 911 location - otherwise you have no 911 service. There are a few other bugs with the softphone but nothing that can't be corrected.

My opinion is that this company isn't ready to be a real VOIP company. I know that the MJ cheerleaders out there will tout the cost - which is pretty inexpensive but it carries with it the uncertanties of reliable service. I would say that for a second outgoing line it is reliable enough, but don't expect it to be a reliable primary service.

Comments:

Review by cameronsfx See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Got it for $39.95"
Bad "Tries to takeover sound system on computer, allows viruses"
Overall "No Magic except for the Owners of the POS"

AOL refugees designed it. BIG HINT!

Plugged it into a USB port and watched as it tried to take over sound system on computer. Software is crappy. NO UNINSTALLER!

Website: Good Lord. Did that make millions with ads guy write it? Don LaPre would be proud of an informercial website.

Device: Feels kinda cheap. I bet it breaks easy.

Sound: Call quality sucks. Echoes, tunnel sound, etc.

Price: Cheap like the device itself.

I think you need an IT degree to make it work right, but, hey, what do you expect for $39.95. Only AOL software is worse garbage to install on your computer.

Since they sell this on informercials, that should be the warning.

Yahoo and GV is free computer to computer and way better sound.

I bet MagicJack will not be around once nontechies like me get frustrated with it and put up YouTube videos of us burning them at a bonfire.

If you like it, fine. I don't care. XP Pro system by the way. I did use Vonage once and it was way better.

MagicJack proves price isn't everything.

Comments:

Review by lineman5516 See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "cheap"
Bad "allows backdoors and trojans in"
Overall "save yourself and you pc don't do it"

I work in the telecommunications industry and purchased magicjack to try it out (sounded to good to be true) I installed it on a standalone pc (1 of five in my home) that is only loaded with xp pro ,no extra programs etc,I have never had a problem with this pc as I rarely use it.I put the magicjack on it and was very impressed for the first 30 days (worked well) well after that many mysterious spyware programs started appearing on it and within 10 day was infected with a keylogger ,sheur and ppo6 virus which was rendered unremovable (destroyed system files) I reloaded the os with firewall and anti virus did the same thing a few weeks later. tried it on another rarely used machine in the home with same results the 3 other pc's in my home are still running fine and tha magicjack is going in the garbage ,I do not recommend this ,i know its cheap and seems to work great for a couple of weeks but save yourself the agony