magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by Comspastic See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Bad "Doesn't work"
Overall "Don't Buy this......."

I bought this for my dad, hoping he could have a cheap line of Comm. It failed horribly, luckily we were only into the service 50 bucks, this is a Cheap as seen on tv gimmick.

Comments:

Review by Lenagainster See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Cheap, good voice quality, unlimited calls to U.S & Canada"
Bad "Computer must be on (Power $$), co. startup problems, outages"
Overall "Inadequate as primary line, cheap secondary line"

Update 9/10/08 Cancelled the MJ service yesterday. Since it is unacceptable for incoming calls (caller gets 30 seconds of nothing before VM picks up) and a full minute to boot up to make an outgoing call (don't use it often enough to want the software running all the time), I found that I just don't use MJ any more. Didn't want the cordless phone I was using for MJ sitting on the desk, taking up space and sucking up more power. Had to bump my cellphone minutes up for other reasons and I have minutes to spare. Will use the cell rather than MJ for those rare occasions when the house phone is busy or is out of service. Had to chat with 'LivePerson' to get the account terminated; no way to do it through 'My Account'. MJ was an interesting experiment but the problems with the service make it impractical for me at any price.

Update 8/1/08 Tried calling my MJ number when I had computer shut down. Get an excruciating long wait of nothing but dead air before the voicemail picked up. Most callers would have hung up before VM activated, thinking they mis-dialed or the phone was not working. Totally unacceptable. Proves again to me that I cannot use MJ for incoming calls. For use as an outgoing line when the home phone is tied up, it takes a full minute to get MJ up and running, and for a quick call, that time makes MJ less than desireable. I'd rather burn a few minutes off my cell phone than sit at the computer waiting for MJ to boot up. I'll keep MJ around for the year that I've already paid for, but it's not worth it to me to pay the $20 for the next year of "service". An interesting experiment with MJ, but not worth the frustration.

Update 4/12/08. I kept the device past the 30 day trial period and paid the full $47. Now I'm stuck with it for better or worse. And it has gotten worse, so I downgraded my ratings. Voicemail has been anything but reliable, and currently it is not working. Worse yet, if MagicJack is not running on the computer, the caller to your number gets NOTHING, but if they wait long enough will eventually get a busy. (If MJ is set up on the computer, the call will go through). This means that this POS is definitely not to be depended upon as a primary phone. It still serves my purpose to be used as a secondary outgoing line, and for making LD calls. Just don't give your MJ number to anyone, or they will be laughing at you for being so foolish for signing up with this phone service.

Original review:

I'll admit I succumbed to the hype, and the price. Without the normal caution and research I usually take before purchasing anything online, I submitted my order for one MagicJack just about two weeks ago.

I had no intention from the start to use this service as my primary phone line. That's because I have VoicePulse, one of the most reliable and full featured VoIPs on the market. I'd never give them up. But MJ looked like a great deal for an initial outlay of $47 ($20 for the device, $20 for a YEAR of service, $7 shipping), with the subsequent cost of $20 per year for unlimited calling throughout the U.S. and Canada. It was worth it to me at that price to have a second line for the few times the primary line is busy, or we wanted to keep it open for an expected call, or on the rare occasion when our primary service is having problems. While my VoicePulse "local" plan give me 200 minutes of long distance free, which I never exceed, I could always use MJ for long distance, and if the occasion ever arose that I had to call Canada.

My MJ arrived within five days and I plugged it in and started using it. My first mistake was not thoroughly checking the MagicJack website for the available numbers and checking the exchanges against a reliable source to determine the name of the town associated with the exchange. The information on the MagicJack website was WRONG regarding the exchange and the town. I picked a number based on the MJ information and it turned out to be a long distance call for my neighbors. I contacted tech support via their text messaging help line and was told that I was allowed to change the number ONCE. I picked another exchange, based on the MJ information, and that turned out to be wrong as well. But the second town was a local call for most of my neighbors. If it was an extremely important issue, I guess I could return the MagicJack under my 30 day "free" trial, pay shipping and return shipping, and then order another MagicJack. But at this point, I don't even intend to give out my MJ number and I plan to use the service for outgoing calls only. One of the first things I learned after setting up my MagicJack is that this service is not ready for prime time. It was noisy at first, but somehow it cleared up and calls have gotten better. Sometimes voicemail worked, sometimes it didn't. On the fifth day I had the service, MagicJack was down for most of the day, and getting through to tech support was impossible. The next day, an apology appeared on the MagicJack window, stating that they were aware that a "few" customers had problems.

Sometimes voicemail works, sometimes it doesn't. The voicemail indicator on the MJ window has not worked from day one. No stutter tone. I will get an email notifying me of voicemail. But again, if I only intend to use the service for outgoing calls, voicemail is not an issue for me.

My biggest frustration with MagicJack is that it wants to control my computer and prevents me from using my computer the way I want to. It puts a startup program in the startup folder that seems to interfere with other startup programs and makes the boot up process excruciatingly long. It won't let me put my computer in the "sleep" mode (standby) and I either have to shut down or turn the monitor off and live with the computer running full time. After fretting over this issue for a while, I found that I could disable the MJ startup program and use the desktop icon to start MagicJack when I wanted. I realized that I could use Ctrl/Alt/Delete to bring up the Task Manager and hit "End Task" to turn off MagicJack. Then I could put my computer in the sleep mode.

It was pointed out in many discussions regarding MagicJack the added cost for this service due to the requirement to keep the computer running. If one were to use a desktop computer and leave it on 24/7 in order to use MagicJack as a primary line, it would cost anywhere from $10 to $25 per month in electricity, to say nothing of the wear and tear on the compter itself. (These amounts can be verified if one assumes about 14 cents per KWH (that's what it is in my area) and a desktop burning 100 to 250 watts with an LCD about 40 watts or CRT about 90 watts). These costs confirmed the decision for me that I would only turn my MagicJack on when I wanted to make an outgoing call.

I still have a couple of weeks left to decide if MagicJack is a keeper. As long as the voice quality remains as good as it is now, I feel that the $47 initial outlay for having a second line with unlimited calling for a whole year is worthwhile ($4/mo), and if MagicJack survives another year without substantial rate increases, $2/mo for that second line will be gravy. But I'd never give up VoicePulse.

member for 10.1 years, 1416 visits, last login: 5.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by fivestard See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "price"
Bad "inconsistant call quality, tech support, software"
Overall "not ready for prime time"

I've had a magicjack for about 4 months and during that time I've drawn several conclusions. The most obvious thing about the magicjack is that you get what you pay for. The first year is only $40 which is extremely low. Unfortunately it's simply not up to the same quality level that I am used to from other providers. It does work but my biggest complaint is with the inconsistent call quality. One call will be perfect, as good as any land line, but the next several call will be muffled. Callers on the other end are constantly asking me to repeat myself because they can't understand me. Using the magicjack has become frustrating, embarrassing and annoying.

Forget about calling tech support because they only accept on line chat messaging. In my experience the tech support is only able to help with the most basic issues. For anything else you're on you own and have to turn to on line forums. I suspect that if tech support had more training and tools available they might be able to diagnose some of these quality issues but that is not the case.

In conclusion, for us magicjack is barely usable and only as a last resort.

Comments:

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "got it working for 2 days"
Bad "call quality sucks sucks phone is NOT usable"
Overall "I am going to cancle my service ASAP going to stick with vonage"

ordered service got the device call quality went to hell does not like my pc

member for 7.8 years, 4152 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by areeve See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "The software installed"
Bad "It doesn't work"
Overall "magicJack is a magicJoke"

With magicJack.com's recent promotion and having seen all of the glorious online reviews (which I now that were ads) I decided to give this a try. After all, the savings over my current Vonage line would be substantial. I plugged it in... it did the autorun and I clicked on the magicJack app and went through the registration and phone # assignment. It then displayed an error and told me to restart magicJack. I didn't know if there was a restart option (as with a Windows Service like IIS) so I looked through the interfact and could not find one. I then unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it said all was well. At least until I tried to make a call. Call quality was HORRIBLE, ABYSSMAL, TERRIBLE, and NON-EXISTANT. If I was lucky I could hear about 2 ms worth of voice broken up by a half second of silence an another 2 ms of voice. Needless to say I have a trip to the post office to make to return this in my near future.

Comments:

Review by gworkman7 See Profile

• Location: Vail,Pima,AZ
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Terrible Audio Quality and Awful Tech Support"
Overall "Wasted $40"

Strange, but I can call and be heard in the area I selected. I live in Tucson and selected a Sacramento number. I can be heard fine on calls to Sacto, but if I call folks in Las Vegas, I cannot be heard. I spent 8 hours over three days of Tech Support and was told that their Engineers would look into it.

Still waiting.........