magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by abitbent See Profile

• Location: Brantford,ON
Good "Cheap."
Bad "Call quality and hidden charges for Canadians"
Overall "Tired of the call quality and hidden fees."

·Start Communicat..
I was just looking to drop my Bell Canada land line. Everyone in the house has a mobile phone and I was paying an additional $80/month on a Bell land line with a few features.

Considered Vonage however I didn't like the fact that monthly credit card transactions was the only way to pay.

I've had MJ now for about 3 years and admittedly I'm getting tired of it. I mean you still can't beat the price but I've found call quality has dropped off within the last year. It's hit and miss.

I upgraded to the MJ Plus which plugs right into the router so the whole thing with needing a pc on 24 7 is not an issue any longer.

The yearly charge is $29 which is still dirt cheap, but they surprised me with also charging me and additional $10 each year for a "premium" number. All Canadian numbers are considered premium.

I went a couple of years without paying this, then all of a sudden MJ notified me that although I was paid for the service for the year, I'd lose my number if I didn't pay the premium for a Canadian number.

To me, this was a little underhanded and a little snake oil slick.

Still, the price is cheap but if I'm now looking at approaching 50 bucks a year, I may as well pay a few extra bucks for better call quality with another voip based system

I think I'm going to cancel MJ this year, I'm sort of tired of it.

Comments:

Review by ImpldConsent See Profile

• Location: Mcdonough,Henry,GA
Good "Works while Deployed. -- Now works at home."
Bad "Dunno yet."
Overall "If you're deployed military and have internet, this works!"

UPDATE 8JAN2013: MJ had a deal that offered the MJ+ for 40.00 online. We did it based on my experience overseas. We transferred our number and eliminated our U-Verse home phone (45./month). The txfr was smooth and we have the MJ+ plugged into a switch. All is working well (sound check/call check/receive check). So: save 45/month, keep our phone number and all is well (so far).

/////

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Had MJ since March 2012. I'm in the military and deployed. After 4 times deployed, I finally got internet to myself (at a blistering $90.00/month for 128k down). This is a maintained commercial satellite (SniperHill), bunch-o-switches. I tried Skype to home (horrible), MS Messenger (horrible), Google Talk (decent). My wife then sent me a cheap phone and a MJ+.

I have got to say this is the best way to call home that I can think of. The only time it's 'ho-hum' is if our 'wired' network is down and I have to leech off the wireless backup. It's not the MJs fault, it's the provider. They can call me (local phone number), I can call them. They can leave me messages on my vmail and I even get the .wav file sent to my email.

I can't see this working any worse from the states where the connections are better and near zero latency. The thing with internet satellite is the minimum 700ms round trip latency. I don't know how MJ does it, but I get none of the guarenteed latency I expect from the terrestrial-->sat-->terrestrial. I speak, I get an immediate response.

Obviously a no-brainer install. For the MagicJack Plus there are 2 options - usb and direct RJ45. I used the USB to my laptop, the application was automatically installed once plugged in ... a few questions ... done. Once I get home, I think I'll drop my AT&T voice and move over to MJ.

member for 13.8 years, 2198 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer70
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

Thanks!

Thanks for a very informative review, and for your Service.

JustMe

@mybrighthouse.com

Not Totally Free Calls to USA

I recently was unable to make a call to a certain Telephone Number in Wilmington Delaware. The Service person on their Trouble "Chat" line advised me that it was an International call and that I needed to buy an International Pre-paid calling card. I advised her that Delaware IS in the United States of America but she still insisted that it's an international call. The Recording I get when I called the number stated "to call a conference line or a platform, please visit us at mymagicjack.com". I told her it did not say anything about an International Call.

I have had the MagicJack service twice. The original and the Plus. Both times I had to use Support for each one it was a terrible experience and was never resolved.

Beware!

• Location: N2H5L
Good "Works well most of time."
Bad "Customer service is worst I have ever had."
Overall "Don't buy Magic Jack!!!!~!!!"

If your magic jack registered the first time you try, you're in luck for a while. However it does not, you may as well toss it out. They put you "under review" for any number of stupid reasons and won't allow you or anyone else to use that magic jack. I bought a "magic jack plus unit and was planning to switch to it at my next renewal. My son bought one to use as his main service for his first home. When we tried to register his unit, we used his credit card, which still had his old address on it. Thsi happened on Aug 4th, 2012. After spending hours on a "chat" with their customer service, we determined that the credit card was the problem. We then tried another credit card and still could not get it registered. Magic Jack customer service said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. A week went by and nothing, so I contacted them by "chat" again. (there may have been other "chats" but so much time has passed that I don't remember everything) After getting absolutely nowhere again after spending a long time on this chat, they again said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. So I used my magic jack that I had bought to use myself. Possibly because we used the same email address or physical address, they put that one "under review" as well. Fast forward to now, 13 weeks later. I have had many, many "chats" with them, spent countless hours trying to get my magic jacks working, and have now come to the conclusion that it will never happen. I live in Canada and have found a Canadian alternative that provides a much better deal, with no hassles and live bodies to talk to. With freephoneline.ca I bought a Grandview HT502 off the internet for $45.00 (included shipping and taxes), then paid $50.00 plus tax for some coding from freephoneline, and now I pay nothing ever again except 2 cents per minute for US long distance and any remote area of Canada not served by the main phone companies. I doubt I'll ever pay more than a few bucks a year for that. In addition, the sound quality is better, you can even use it for fax and modem calls and the company has been around for many years. NO MORE BILLS AT ALL and great customer service. (had to use it during setup)

For the people in the US, the best alternative I have found is netTalk DUO. Basically same as Magic Jack, but they have good reviews and live people to "talk" to. I suspect that Magic Jack will be out of business soon. They are really pushing the 5 year package hard, so I suspect they will get as much money in as possible, then leave their customers high and dry. I recommended them to many people and got them setup, but will now be changing them over to freephoneline.ca. I would not trust magic jack. We tried to return the second unit to Tiger Direct, but they will not accept returns for Magic Jack. Anything else they will, but not Magic Jack. Does that tell you something? 13 weeks now and not one email for either unit!

(review was emailed from domain live.ca)

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Maybe....

...there was a mistake, maybe a lack of attention, but since you posted this in the TekSavvy review board, I was wondering if there is anything related to TekSavvy we may be of help with.

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
PX Eliezer70
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

Re: Maybe....

Even more confusing, he gave a very bad review to MagicJack, yet he gave them top scores in each category.

David Heffes

@codetel.net.do

Impossible service renovation passing first year

As I said, I tried many times to pay the service and the money allways rejected. I soke many times with the online chat service and they allways say that I should wait for a solutionfrom " the head office". I' talking about 4 month with cancelled service(means no phone calls in or out). Seems to me that nobody cares in this company for old custommers, but they still promoting their product to new people. This is an horrible service

Bluebird

@eastlink.ca

Local Incoming Calls

I bought the Magic Jack & a local Canadian# (Halifax,NS) but was shocked to find out that anyone calling me had to pay long distance even though they had Halifax#s. After contacting customer support I was told that they had to pay long distance because the exchage#s were differant from the one assigned by Magic Jack even though they were all Halifax#s. That is rediculous !!!!! my next door neighbor has to pay long distance to call me !!!! I wouldn't have anyone calling me any more. I RETURNED THE EQUIPMENT back to the store & I would not recommend this to anyone. Sucks because I really wanted to dump the local phone company.

Mabel Hayes

@197.251.145.x

RE :MAGIC JACK

This company should not be in business. They have no contact #. They compare themselves with companies set up for online business and it has not been done properly. I bought a Magic Jack and on renewal, my # disappeared. They took my money but I have no #.They could not give me any specific answer. I was so mad and a friend bought me another one and upon renewal, they took my payment yet I could not make phone calls. They claimed my payment did not go through and I asked if I should do it again and the chat was disconnected saying " I have given you all the info. you requested and at this point I will end the communication" Even though i asked a question. Their online chat has no knowledge to explain and they play "hide and seek" with questions. I believe they do not know what they are doing as a company
. It is been poorly setup and unprofessional customer service. One by name Hazel disconnected a chat with me without addressing my concerns. Magic Jack has been rated cheap. What is cheap when your money is taken away with no offer, it ain't cheap at all.
If we stop buying, they will stop producing and be out of business and we would not have to deal with their un professionalism

Review by sectvfreak See Profile

• Location: Kintnersville,Bucks,PA
Good "cheap"
Bad "poor quality"
Overall "for this company you get what you pay for"

its cheap and there's a reason the prices are so low overall poor quality product..

Comments:

Review by warnerma See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "I have saved over $1000.00 in 3 yrs with MJ"
Bad "50% price increase last year"
Overall "Great Value"

I have been running MJ since Aug '09 and cancelled my $25/mo land line shortly after. No set up problem at all. My cell will dial 911 if needed and we pay a fee for that. I have two laptops and use the 4 yr old laptop for a MJ server that is connected to wired DSL internet. Wireless can get choppy and may drop a call but no worse than dropped cell phone calls Wired calls have great sound . Have been able to call any # in North America no problem.. I just bought MJ+ and will run out my minutes on old MJ then transfer # to new one. $19.95 per yr to $29.95 is steep but value is still there, even getting dinged another $10/yr for a Cdn.#. Too bad some here are having problems.

Comments:

Review by Gate420 See Profile

• Location: Midland,ON
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Dropped calls sound quality sucks really bad"
Overall "I can't belive everyone says the sound is great."

I am shocked I did a lot of research online before buying my MagicJack and signing up for 6 years of service that I can't get my money back.Every review I read said the sound quality was great as good as a cell phone or better what BS.I have even upgraded my router and internet plan for faster and better internet service I have tried there so called fixes for better sound quality and it really just sucks its the worst phone service ever it may be cheap and all but all it is good for is a fax machine or an answering machine.What ever you do stay away from this device for your regular home phone service. I had to call 911 once and it took like 4 different operators to get to my local 911 operator it was a very slow process. I am glad that no one was actually dying better off to use a cell phone for 911 then the MagicJack.Constantly dropping calls I have rogers cable internet with brand new lines brand new router I am getting download speed around 37 MBPS which is about 277.5 mb per minute it is pretty fast, upload speed is 1000 kbps which is about 7.5 mb a minute I am not sure if that is very good or not but upload is always way slower then downloading I am sure the problem is not my internet i have tried it plugged directly to the router through an Ethernet cable I have tried it through my computer sound quality doesn't change.

I would not recommend this product for a main phone I would only recommend for a fax machine if it would actually work for it I cant get mine working on either phone line I think cause I need a special cable or my fax machine on my printer just isn't working.

I think that is all I can say about this product but I don't believe others are being very honest about the sound quality I think because of the cost they are saying the quality is good for the price but if you are hard of hearing you don't want this at all when I call my mom she can't hear me at all even when she turns her hearing aid up so it just plain sucks ) I really can't believe that people recommend and say that this is a good product it is NOT good stay away!!!!

Comments:
vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
·TekSavvy DSL

MJ or +?

Did you get the MJ or MJ+?

If it is the USB style only, make certain it is plugged directly into the computer, not a hub. This is imperative, as the unit draws the full power from the connection. Even some powered hubs can cause extra grief.

My MJ (not the +) from '09 connects via the USB to the net via DSL (3008/512 IL). The only time it dropped my call was when I exceeded 90 minutes at one go to that number. Otherwise, it works quite well. Voice quality better than my cell; almost as good as POTS.

I would never trust it to replace my home line, or for 911.

For very economical LD calls, I have no qualms about the unit.

Never tried their tech support. My understanding is more people have had problems with the +, and tech support is 'an interesting experience'. In another thread, a query was raised if there was a prioritizing of the data the router was doing. They also like to block exchanges, which I'm not thrilled about.

Where did you get the unit? Would they take it back?

Faxing with this thing is a crap shoot, at best.

Review by franklyong See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Very cheap"
Bad "Doesn't come in Canadian numbers"
Overall "Awesome provider for the money"

·WIND Mobile
I love magicJack i use it for my secondary home phone in my house. It paid the 40 dollars @ the start + tax. Really good service cheap and quite useful. Matches with all the stuff i use it for. Kinda good to keep people for not knowing who you are.
Call quality is good and + works well with my DIR-615 with QOS
resources aren't very much but it runs well i can't complain.

It can get a lil choppy due to my heavy downloading but nothing wrong.

Sometimes hiccups but it's fine.

Update: been using it for a year now. It's been alright. since the computer i use is now in more heavier use it gets more choppier since there are more cpu cycles devoted. Can't complain about that since when on idle it's fine. Note to not use it on a wireless connection otherwise it's fine.

Anyways got billed 20 dollars USD and there goes one year.

Comments:

Pissed

@bell.ca

Fraud - You pay 2 cents/minute to call a conference line

They do not advertise that you have to pay additional to call a conference line even though a call to that conference line is not considered international calling or even long distance calling from a regular home or cellular telephone. Costs 2 cents per minute.

Review by Sarentack See Profile

• Location: Lumberton,Lamar,MS
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "$20 a year, easy to install, works like a phone service"
Bad "lack of phone numbers, tech support."
Overall "Its worth getting only if your internet connection is always stable"

·CableOne
Its worth the money especially if you call LD. I plan on replacing my landline service with it because my connection is stable all the time, no problems with it so far.

The downside to the magicjack is not the device itself, but actually finding a good standalone internet service, cable may not be ideal but it all depends on where you live to. DSL seems to work best with MJ or a Cable internet service, basically want a stable internet connection and it will serve you well.

Comments:

Review by vintagewino See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "Very economical."
Bad "No uninstall procedure Shards of info hidden on your system."
Overall "May not be the right item for everyone, but it's worth a try."

·TekSavvy DSL
Update Feb 7, 2012:

Have had no problem with the MJ unit. Sad to see such such a high jump in rates last month. Certainly far above any rate of inflation that's been posted in North America over the 3 year period. Early 2010, signed up for the 5 year plan, so have that going for a while, yet. What happens in 2015 when those 5 years are up? Who knows???

Voice quality is very good. No complaints. Noticed calls get cut off at 90 minutes duration. Could not redial to finish the call. Tried next day, no problem with same #.

Unit still used for outgoing calls only. Very inexpensive LD.

For me, still a keeper.

Opinion, therefore review, not changed. Haven't used the tech support, so I cannot honestly comment on it.

*********************************

Original review ~ July, 2009:

I had seen the ads, thought what the heck?

Picked it up in February, running it on XP Pro on a Pentium M laptop. Chose a Milwaukee phone #. Couple of small tweaks, and it was functional. The unit is used for outgoing LD calls only, and is removed from the machine when not in use.

The bad:
There is no uninstall program, so you have a hunt to find the entries hidden in your registry and system.
The Canadian & US websites could best be describes as "visually noisy".
The unit may have a lifespan if left on continually due to constant writing to it. Some have said about a year.

The good:
Quality with everyone we have tried is excellent across Ontario and through the US.
Oddly enough, the poorest quality occurs when calling a Milwaukee #. We have yet to figure out if it is MJ or the person we're calling.
Economical - Omitting the hardware cost ($20US), at less than @$2 US /month - you'll likely spend more on coffee in a week.

Other:
Canadian #'s have just come in. For the charge for a Canadian # ($5/month), I'll stick with the US#, thank you.
A stable high speed internet line is strongly recommended.

Have had no calls to their tech support, so that really can't be commented on.

• Location: Pooler,Chatham,GA
Good "Works well. Great value"
Bad "Can't get a credit and can't talk to a live rep."
Overall "I will continue to persue my credit."

January 17th, 2012

To whom it may concern,

I have found the sound quality very good and I am generally satisfied. My
gripe, along with most Magic Jack users is the inability to talk to a real
person. I inadvertently ordered the 5 year plan when I signed up for the 30
day trial for Magic Jack Plus. I have tried repeatedly to get a credit
($108.00) as the $69.95 first year charge includes one year of service, but
they have not honored my request as of this date. They did transfer my
number from Vonage for a charge of $20.00 which was what I had agreed to.
Now that the 30 day trial is over, I have been charged $81.64 which I want
to dispute as this is 16.7% above the $69.95 charge. I understand that there
is tax on this amount, but I want to know why it is excessive.

I am pleased for the time being with the savings and I'm still way under
what Vonage was charging me annually, but I want my credit and some answers
to my questions. I will not give up!

Yours truly,

Joel P

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)