magicjack.com page on DSLReports

• Location: N2E3S
Good "Very cheap"
Bad "Can't port my current number"
Overall "For low to moderate usage, the price can't be beat!"

I purchased my MagicJack in December and have been using it for about
2 weeks. It arrived in good order, within a couple of weeks.

Installation wasn't completely smooth, I had to restart the process a
couple times, but I found technical support chat very helpful and once
the installation completed it was quick and easy.

My major disappointment is finding out that I can NOT port over my
existing home phone number, they do not offer this service in Canada.
It did take technical support a while to confirm this.

However, I'm satisfied with the call quality and for the price I'm
willing to change my number with a few dozen friends and businesses.
Call quality is satisfactory, but not impressive. I am pleased to get
my voice mail delivered to my inbox as a WAV file.

I am finding inconsistencies in how it handles businesses with "press
1" options. Most of these work fine, a couple have refused to work at
all, I'm not sure what the difference is.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

narindrasing

@gol.net.gy

magic jack not working

when i move the cursor over the two little computer on the task bar, it says that the speed is 100.0 Mbps, but my magic jack still not working. my magic jack would say "please connect to the internet and double click here [error 3]. can somebody help me??

Kathleen

@rogers.com

Re: magic jack not working

If all your other internet connections work, I'd contact the MagicJack technical support via chat.

SteveHC

@comcast.net
I'd be happy to help you via private email communication. Let me know if you still need help.

Review by VICTORIA JOS See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "yes"
Bad "no"
Overall "1"

so so good

Comments:

Review by ctceo See Profile

• Location: Mishawaka,St Joseph,IN
Good "Price, Features & Simple install"
Bad "3-Way calling is awkward, Annoying popups & AWFUL LiveChat Support"
Overall "Currently 1.5 of 5.0, worth having if your broke or need a second line."

·Virgin Mobile Br..
Update November 201. Quality and in-cinsistency of service has been over-shadowed by my ISP, at&t Uverse Internet. For the most part when internet is functional, service is top notch. Occasional mis-routed call or telco warning message but sound quality and overall quality is MUCH improved. Customer service has not been needed sionce July 2010, but doesn't mean that it has improved or gotten worse. reserving judgement on that aspect.

UPDATE June 9th 2010,
After awaiting a replacement MJ from a LiveChat rep that never showed up. I Contacted Live chat again, I was told that the replacement was not coming and that I needed to submit $9.95 shipping for the replacement. I was also told that if in the meantime I received a new MJ, I could have my number ported, and license extended for another 9 months due to the defective MJ that I had. After talking on livechat with "Jordan" I was essentially told A)They had no record of the reply conversation in which the rep promised to extend the license for 9 months, B)Were not going to Honor their previous promises C)Was told that I could port my existing account onto the new MJ (a friend just bought me) but it would still expire in 1 month (what good is that).

OFFICIALLY I am done. I would encourage everyone to drop there service before you get the shaft as well. I dont need this kind of headache, and they don't deserve any support for false promises.

V___OLD___V
Hearing me talk about the MJ a lot recently, and my friend having told us he got one prompted my GF to buy a MJ yesterday. After having set it up, which took all of say 15 minutes to get right. It seems ok, for what it was worth ~$35.00 + tax.

Right off I had a bit of a problem getting the intended PC to even see it. I plugged it in, it flashed a blue LED inside the MJ then nothing happened. I let it sit there for about 4 or 5 minutes, still nothing. I unplugged it, restarted the system, and plugged it back into the same USB port and viola it recognized, took about 3 minutes to do it's installation of a USB CD & HD device and to complete it's auto-update/install process, after filling out a brief application (about another 7 minutes) I was up and running with a local number.

Pros:
Price, Features & a simple install (excusing the initial glitch of course)

Cons:
Doesn't work well with sub-1.5 mb DSL packages or when you are using up bandwidth elsewhere. 3-Way calling feature is set up differently then the standard analog phone, as a result it's a bit cumbersome to use. Doesn't play nice with fax machines either. It's Popup ad window is a bit intrusive, and can be downright annoying when playing games, but is easily remedied by using fast user switching, and giving it it's own account.

Overall an UNSATISFIED rating of 1.5 of 5 for this one, but lemme use it for a month or three then get back with you, since I only just installed it yesterday.

UPDATE:
I just updated my review to reflect my first week's experience, also see this thread:
»MJ Problems

Also, I'd like to mention that we weighed having faster internet or phone because our income dictated this to us, and we err'ed in favor of faster internet, I'd rather watch good streams than talk on the phone anyway.

Comments:

Review by sclewin See Profile

• Location: Collingwood,ON
Good "Amazing price, can take it along with you as well"
Bad "No Linux support, must have computer on."
Overall "Amazing bang for your buck. Good quality, easy to use."

I started using Magic Jack when suggest from a friend and my wife and I love it. We now use it as our main phone line. The call quality is decent, about good cell phone quality, and form what I can tell no one knows that I am not using a traditional telco.

I get all the services including conference calling, call waiting, call display, voice mail, online management, and more. Not a single cent more.

The only bad thing I need to mention is the lack of Linux support and to make things worse, magicjack.com haves been saying Linux support is around the corner for a couple years now. I have Magic Jack running through VMware fine on Ubuntu, but I would prefer to run it natively.

You do need to keep a computer on to use the phone, but the good fall back is that any incoming phone calls will go to your voice mail when the computer is off and to make things a little better you can have voice mail sent to your email along with the recorded message.

Comments:

Review by downeast See Profile

• Location: Nokomis,Sarasota,FL
Good "Price is right!"
Bad "Computer must remain on."

Great value. Supports 911 calls.

Had trouble with initial install ... it is suppose to be plug and play (no install disc). Contacted tech support via text messages on their website and the sent me link to program to download and install. Problem solved.

Comments:

Review by dmossing See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA
Good "Good Value for the money overall. Easy to use and usually excellent sound quality."
Bad "Outages due to IP/PTSN issues outside of MJ's controll (Occasionally)."
Overall "OK when the tech issues are resolved. Sometimes frustration otherwise."

I have been a satisfied customer of and user of Magicjack for nearly 2 years. I can confirm the following: It works best over a hard-wired broadband connection that has consistantly low packet loss and/or latency, You also must be aware of and provide the PC, headset, mic & speaker hardware and use them to meet your needs. it took me me some time and practice It's worth the efforts to learn how to deal with the tech issues and accept certain features that make Magicjack quite different than landlines. I find the written FAQ material on-line to be most heloful to troubleshoot and fix those things you can control. The "live" help is totally useless to assist if there is ANYTHING beyond what is in the FAQ's.

Comments:

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Good, Cheap Voip Phone Service"
Bad "Computer needs to be on"
Overall "Very Good, Well worth the money"

·Vonage
·Cox HSI
I've been using Magic Jack now for about five months now, Works really well on my computer, has saved me a lot of money on long distance charges. Haven't used Tech support yet. So I don't know about that. I tell all my friends to get one.. here in a month or two will put another year on it. Ya-all get ya one of them Magic Jacks..!!!!! 4/3/11 Well I've had my MagicJack now for over 2 years now, & it has saved me alot of Money... & it allways works good on my computer, oh I have a little glitch now & then. BUT.. its well worth the money I will probably never have a land line again.. MagicJack & a pay as ya go.. Phone.. has been the cheapest way for me.

Comments:

Review by xyzzy42 See Profile

• Location: Neshanic Station,Somerset,NJ
Good "Cheap. Great when it works."
Bad "Call quality not always the best."
Overall "Not a replacement for a real phone."

I've been using it for 2-1/2 years. I've suffered through poor audio quality with lots of echos. The dongle itself crashed, but was resolved by tech support. The phone interface is annoying, popping up whenever someone uses the handset. The software stops the computer from sleeping. The software has been buggy at times. MagicJack lost months of my call history. Calls are disconnected after 90 minutes.

However, it costs $20 per year and is mostly reliable. My family uses it mainly to talk to friends and family, so voice quality is not that important. I don't use it for important calls.

member for 13.4 years, 1757 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by amigo_boy See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Inexpensive"
Bad "Delicate hardware, poor support, poor business practices"
Overall "A good option for some, but not everyone."

A niche product. Even a toy or novelty. If it meets your needs you can save some *serious* money.

However, MJ comes with hidden costs. You can lose all your money if it stops working. Support can be painfully time-consuming and ineffective (even requesting users to do things that are dangerous). Service limitations change without notice (at one point there was a 30-minute call cap, at another point users were terminated for "excessive use" which consisted of 60-90 minutes per day). In Aug. 2010 they began blocking calls to large areas of rural US (including the entire state of Alaska). No warning. No disclosure of were blocked.

Perhaps more disturbing is that the company has a notorious history of conducting business in a way to get more money out of you than you might freely choose to give. (Often called "robbery."). They implemented auto-renewal without notifying users (who began to see unexplained charges to their credit cards). They sold 4 years as 5. They gouge on shipping, which is especially painful for those whose USB devices failed. MJ users have wanted a device-less (softphone-only) service for years. When magicTalk was released, MJ users had to spend another $20 just to use the same softphone they've already paid for without the device which they've already paid for. (And, the company charges $10 for each computer you install the softphone on, regardless of whether it's used concurrently).

That leads to the final negative about MJ: the company constantly promises new products and services that it doesn't deliver. If you buy MJ, don't do it based upon hype that a new product or feature "is coming soon."

MJ should be viewed as a gamble. If it works out, and you're technically inclined, and prepared to put some sweat equity into it, you can save a lot of money. If it doesn't work out, you lose $40. That's not a lot of money to lose. But, you should be resigned to lose it.

member for 9.1 years, 2047 visits, last login: 3 years ago

• Location: T2H0T
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Price, quality"
Bad "Quirks, setup w/Snow Leopard"
Overall "Love it, gonna buy myself something nice now"

I've had two magicjacks up and running at myself and my mother's house for a couple of months now and we have gotten rid of our landline completely. This hasn't been without some work on my end though. Setup #1 at my house was on an iMac with Snow leopard. Due to SL or some internal settings I had changed previously I had nothing but trouble keeping the phone working. After eliminating all other problems I finally formatted our Mac, reverted to Leopard and it works without a hitch. Great quality, reliable, and the only quirk left is intermittent call display (I believe due to usb power issues-whether backup drive is spinning or not). Setup #2 was at mom's on a Win XP SP3 computer (EeeBox to be exact). Plugged it in, registered and it's worked ever since, with good quality. Remaining quirk with that setup is: the 911 address has not registered yet. Don't know why yet, perhaps lost in shuffle at 911 offices maybe? Would I recommend it now? Yes, absolutely. With the $450 a year we're saving the troubleshooting/quirks were mote than worth it. If you have a cell phone handy at all times and your house phone is more for recreational conversations why keep paying and paying? Hope this is helpful.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.ca)