magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by ritzy57 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "Calls are clear, haven't been booted off yet!"
Bad "PC must be on for it to work."
Overall "You can't beat the price!"

After trying and rejecting ATT call vantage, because it was so unreliable during a VERY stressful time in my life, I was once again looking for a cheap alternative to landline phone service, and saw the add for Magic Jack on TV. They advertise $20.00 per year on voice over IP.The initial financial outlay was around $40.00. They sent a Magic Jack phone jack, along with a short USB extension cord, and directions for installing. Piece of cake!

Unfortunately, because I run a very old Compaq Presario 5000, and have minimal RAM, the Magic Jack uses up a good chunk of resources, when it is running.

So, I mostly keep it unplugged, until I want to make a phone call. (keeping in mind that MOST of the people I talk to, are out of state.) I have kept a local land line, just in case, and when people call me, they call my landline. So, yes, I am surely getting what I have paid for, I have recently recommended Magic Jack to a friend, whose hubby is in the military, and they have recently been deployed to Japan. They bought a Magic Jack, and that is how they keep in touch. Works for them, works for me.

So far, I haven't needed to call any techs, because it works! I havden't been to their website in ages, for the same reason.

Reccomend??? Yes

July 5, 2010

Still have Magic Jack. It still works great. I don;t keep it plugged in all the time, so I have to wait for it to connect, when I want to use it, which slows down making a call, but for the price, I can't complain. I use it for long distance only.

Comments:

Review by sabresfan See Profile

• Location: Hope Mills,Cumberland,NC
Good "Call quality has improved greatly over the last year"
Bad "Updates that cause problems for users"
Overall "Good service for the price"

I've been using MJ for over a year now with good results. When I first received my MJ the calls were choppy and I had issues with it not working correctly. One thing people need to understand about MJ is that if your doing a lot of things online or with your computer your call quality can suffer. I needed to cleanup my computer and give MJ the space it needed to work properly. This service works well as a secondary line but I do not place enough faith in to be my primary line. Overall I'm pleased with the service and the price but I'm testing other voip providers now to find one that does not need to keep a pc running all time and that doesn't block ata use.

Comments:

Review by Pashune See Profile

• Location: Gautier,Jackson,MS
Good "It works...."
Bad "... after replacing the handset/pressing the talk button about a dozen times or more."
Overall "$40 gave me 3 1/2 months of good phone service."

·Vonage
·CableOne
Update: 04-12-10

The quality and reliability of my MJ has really, really gone down hill in the past few weeks. I now have to hang up and pick up the phone several times just to get a dial tone; Random beeps in the middle of a phone call are also becoming more common. I'm also experiencing this random problem where voice quality is just terrible until I reboot/restart the magicjack device. Very disappointing after I went through the trouble of setting up a stand alone 24/7 PC just to run this bugger. Calls seem to be able to ring the MJ, but the annoyance of having to click the handset button a million times just so I can make a phone call is unacceptable for my business; I'm also concerned that I may have missed several valuable calls thanks to the reliability of this device. Due to these mishaps, I now have to post 2 phone numbers to my customers just in case the MJ decides to take a random nap during the day or night.

Now I know what some of you might say in this situation... "You spent $40 for 1 year of unlimited phone service, big whoop." Well then, good for you; looks like the economy didn't tear you up as much as its done to me.

I'm probably going to try applying updates once more before I just give up on the non-existent dial tone issue.

On top of that, it won't even ring my DECT 6.0 GE cordless phone. For some reason or another, MJ works better with cheaper phones, like the generic corded phone I have connected to it right now.

Old:

I end up buying one of these lil' buggers at Walgreens and was anxious to get it fired up and running in an old, Celeron 733 MHz 192 mb ram PC with XP I had laying around because my main CPU's USB ports are completely occupied and I'd rather have a fall back system. The machine only uses around 60w or so anyway...

Setting up the MagicJack definitely took more than 1 min. More like maybe... 10 min. I can understand this due to using it on an older machine, but after setting it up, I discovered that occasionally I will not get a dial tone when pushing talk on my GE 900 mhz phone. Caller ID also didn't work for the first few calls but shortly after ward, started working just fine, but without name identification per se. I only got the phone numbers themselves displaying on my caller ID.

I made a few calls and discovered the call quality was superb and the listener on the other end heard every word I said easily. I'm using this on a 5 mbit down/500 kbit up cable connection.

What I didn't like so much though was the fact that the device consumed 500 mA; the maximum output for many USB ports out there, especially on this old HP PC I'm running it on. Luckily I don't have any other USB devices connected.

My dad also called a few times, but my phone didn't ring. I'm using a GE phone with a 0.1 REM.. or whatever it's called 'specification', so I'm sure the phone isn't at fault.

I'd totally recommend the device if you've got some beefy USB ports, plenty of empty ones, or a powered USB hub sitting around somewhere. Otherwise, take a gamble and hope things work.

member for 8.7 years, 3541 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BuzzDar See Profile

• Location: West Frankfort,Franklin,IL
Good "Works Almost Perfect"
Bad "Still No Local Numbers. for my area"
Overall "Buy the magicjack its well worth the money."

Cant ask for anything better. Works just as good as vonage. or any other VOIP.

All i can say buy a magic jack its well worth the money. I have also tried Vonage for 24.95 a month and packet 8 for 19.95 per month and with MAGIC Jack for 19.95 a year its basically 1.66 per month. I Personally get the same quality of a call from Magicjack for 19.95 a year as i did paying 24.95 a month from vonage.

Updated.3.3.10 Only thing still missing is local numbers for my area. But i use google voice so it works for me.
Updated 3.27.10 still no local numbers for my 618 area code but other than that just works.

member for 8.9 years, 1256 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by ILpt4U See Profile

• Location: Lisle,Du Page,IL
Good "Cheap Dial Tone"
Bad "Needs reliable Internet, Power, PC. 60 min Call-time Limit"
Overall "It works, given its needs are met"

Updated 7 March 2010:

I let my MagicJack expire -- and am not in a big hurry to renew it.

It does work as advertised

Updated 1 March 2009:

It seems the 60 minute outbound cap has been extended to 120 minute. That is an improvement, but still not ideal.

I have also decided that, as a young single working guy living in an apartment alone, MagicJack is great. If I had any type of family at all, would not use it as a primary phone line. Just not reliable enough.

It still is a neat idea, and a real price bargain.

But anyone considering it should consider its costs, both monetary and other, as well as its benefits.

Updated 11 January 2009:

I have noticed & experienced that there is a 60-minute per outbound call time limit. At exactly 60 Minutes of call time on the nose, the call is terminated and you get dial tone. That is not a good feature at all. I have yet to decide how to react to this feature...

Original Review:

I decided to give Magicjack VoIP a try.

I run it over my U-Verse Elite Internet. I have noticed call quality suffers if I doing heavy downloading/uploading -- Considering investing in a QoS router to correct, but not that big of an issue so far.

I like that you can make calls with a PC headset or thru a normal phone.

I got an area code & number with an exchange from the next town over -- so I basically got a local phone number in relation to where I live.

So far it is as advertised -- phone service for a very modest price -- $40 for the first year (includes the equipment -- USB-ATA adapter as well as first service year) and then $20/year after. Get a month trial for free.

member for 8.1 years, 3324 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jeffrey See Profile

• Location: Long Island
Good "Price, sound quality, size,"
Bad "still new, not all area codes available, incoming call issues occasionally"
Overall "Great value and"

·Vonage
-- March 4th, 2010 --

I no longer currently use my MJ because of the lack of need. With this said, there is a slight chance I will redeploy it at a second residence where we are not living all year, and consequently, don't have a land line.

-- May 10th, 2008 --

I haven't used hte MJ too much, but what I have used has been great. I basically use the MJ on my laptop when I'm at a friend or relative's house, and/or if I misplaced my cell and can't find it. It's a nice thing to have, but I still couldn't recommend it as a replacement for your main home line.

Initial:

I picked up the MagicJack device in early August just to fool around with. I heard about the device here on BBR, and I decided that I liked the "geek factor" of it, and I'd pick one up.

Ordering was easy. Price was great. $39.99 for the device + 1 yr of service. Subsequent years would be $19.99. Can't get any better than that.

Got the device after 4 days, plugged it right into my Windows XP laptop, and after attaching a $5 phone, I'm making and receiving calls.

Call quality is excellent. Making calls is never a problem. Occasionally, I have had a few people tell me that they received an "all circuits are busy" message, but I don't know where to place blame for that one. It's only happened a few times, and FWIW, it happens on my Vonage line occasionally. A simple redial of the # fixed it on Vonage, as it does on the MagicJack.

I love taking the Magicjack with me places that I bring my laptop, and watch the stares as I make a phone call from my computer. Some of my friends were shocked that this even existed, let alone was possible.

In the end, the device is cool and very functional. A great backup phone device for when my cell is in the car, left at work, or dead of battery charge. Not ready for prime time in terms of a home's only phone line tho.

For people needing a 2nd line, I would recommend it.

Comments:

Review by grrr See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Inexpensive at $39 to purchase and $19.95/year after first year. It's an extra $10/year for a Canadian area code."
Bad "Not so many Canadian area codes, mostly in major city centers."
Overall "Good value."

February 2008, I've only been running it for a week, but so far so good. I haven't had a land line in 4 years to cut costs and magicJack has made having a land line affordable for me.

My cell phone has been my primary line and still is, because there are no Toronto area codes as of yet, but I won't eat up air time by doing some having a casual conversation, or being put on hold trying to make appointments during the day. I can call people and if they want to get a hold of me they can call my cell and I can call them back on my magicJack line.

I know there are quite a few bugs to be ironed out, but you really can't go wrong for the price.

*Update: February 2010

Going into 3rd year of usage. When I discovered that some Canadian area codes became available in November 2009 at a $10/yr premium on top of $19.95 annual fee, I decided to not renew my US number and I was able to get a 416 number. At this time I couldn't change from a US number to a Canadian number. Canadian numbers are only available on activation of new unit and the newer units have updated circuitry with noise filters, so I decided on getting the newer version.

Back in February 2008 the magicJack software was a bit buggy, ie; dialing of Canadian cell phones needed *74, or something like that... I can't remember, but that and a few other glitches meant that call success rate was about 70%, but the past year has been as reliable as a regular land line for me. So much so that I'm not going to renew my US number and I purchased a new one so that I could get a Toronto number. For Canadian customers the extra $10/year is well worth it. I'm quite happy. I even gave one as a gift to my nephew while he works out in New Brunswick for a few months. He can keep in touch with family and friends with a Toronto number.

I still won't sign up for their multi-year program, because I think they're a bit shady with their business practise, but on a year to year basis I think you can't go wrong for the price.

Comments:

Review by mr79109189 See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Randall,TX
Good "On a single computer, not using much processor it works well."
Bad "Call quality poor if computer using much processor."
Overall "Not a good choice for hard wired home network."

I connected MagicJack through my wired home phone network. I could not find a method to increase line voltage enough to allow it to work well through my wired phones. If used with a multiple handset wireless network it works fine. Would be great if on option was provided to allow it to plug in to existing wired network at home. My house has 5 extensions. I can make them all work but handset volume and quality suffer.

Web-site "Customer support" stinks! There is no way to send an e-mail. The "Live" link cycles you back and forth from page to page but does NOT give you a "live" anything!

member for 11.7 years, 114 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by WeSRT4 See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "Inexpensive! Good call quality."
Bad "Computer has to be on"
Overall "Best value out there for VOIP."

I recently ordered magicJack figuring that I didn't have much to lose. The device is surprisingly simple automatically installing the needed software from the USB device when plugged in. To my amazement call quality is surprisingly good and reliable. I'm not sure how they stay in business by charging so little for service, but the value is simply the best out there. If you want to lower your phone bill, I say, go for it!

member for 14.1 years, 1582 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by C_Chipperson See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "Easy install, free local and long distance, good call quality"
Bad "Horrible web site, must leave PC on 24/7"
Overall "Perfect solution if you want to call from home and avoid cell phone charges"

I saw the infomercial on DirecTV and decided to try it out. Found it on ebay for about 35 bucks including shipping, had it 4 days later. Plugged into my PC, installs software automatically and you choose an area code and prefix. Plug my wireless 4-handset phone in, and was making calls within 2 minutes, my dad couldn't tell any difference when I called him other than it was a different phone number. We don't need a landline for any reason other than to avoid using up cell minutes during the day time, and this is the perfect solution if you don't need to have phone service guaranteed to be working. I tried it on a Pentium4 with 1 GB ram running Vista, call quality was unacceptable. plugged it into my Core 2 Quad and it functions as good as Vonage. the first year of service is free, and its 20 bucks a year after that, or you can purchase 5 years for 60 bucks. if i decide its worth it, I will purchase the 5 year license after the free year is up.

For a 35$ "I'll try it out", This is an excellent value. You really can't go wrong. Don't listen to the negative reviews, they either expect something for nothing or don't have a fast enough pc to give consistent call quality. I have it running upstairs from my wireless router in the basement. No problems.

UPDATE 6/14/09

5 months of rock solid phone service, the only time i've had trouble is when my computer does an automatic reboot (windows updates) and I don't log in again before trying the phone. That is not magicjack's fault though. GREAT SERVICE, ALMOST FREE!!!!!!!!

UPDATE 12/29/09

Well its been almost a year, and I've stopped using MJ for several months now, got the Google Voice app on my cell phone and can make unlimited calls that way so don't want to bog my computer down with the unnecessary MJ software.