magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by Comspastic See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Bad "Doesn't work"
Overall "Don't Buy this......."

I bought this for my dad, hoping he could have a cheap line of Comm. It failed horribly, luckily we were only into the service 50 bucks, this is a Cheap as seen on tv gimmick.

Comments:

Review by kieranmullen See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Cheap backup. Would not rely on low end voip for business."
Bad "No windows 2000 support? Closed forum?"
Overall "Get what you pay for."

Get what you pay for so service is up and down. I plan to get my moneys worth. So if they go belly up it will not matter since I will not take chance and transfer my number.

Comments:

Review by AzWiz See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "very inexpensive, good features, unlimited long distance (continental us)"
Bad "support is convoluted, no email address, tech chat available but hard to find"
Overall "good option for 2nd outbound phone line."

I first saw this on one of those late night infomercials, and it piqued my curiosity. I thought, $40 for first year with a 30 day trial money back guarantee, how can I lose? I've spent more money than than on junk that didn't work, so why not try it.

Like most people, I was very skeptical about the claims and the service, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not only can you get a phone number in your area code, but you get voice mail to boot! Each voice mail message also can be sent to your email address so you don't have to retrieve them by calling in. The $40 covers the device and first year of service. Currently they charge $19.95 for additional years.

As far as installation, it's as simple as they say. Just plug it into any USB port. The device appears as 2 cd/dvd drives. The software is already on it, so it self installs. Using this method, they are able to download new updates directly to the device, not to your computer.

I use it on my laptop with the built in speakers and microphone with no problem whatsoever. Maybe a cell phone is more convenient, but where else can you get a phone line for $20/year ?

I like it and will continue to use it as long as the terms of service remain the same.

Comments:

Review by raptor1418 See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "easy to setup and install"
Bad "requires a PC to be running all the time and is limited on OS it can run on"
Overall "Great value for the money over other VoIP's"

I have got to say I have never really had any issues with my magicjack over the last 2 years. Call quality has always been descent and the price for service can't even be touched by other VoIP services I have looked at.

I wish there was a way to run it as a service instead of needing to be logged on as a user for it to work.

My other problem is that it is pretty limited on OS. It will only run on Windows XP, Vista and MACs using intel based chip sets.

An unleash from needing a PC would be a huge boost for this little device.

Overall I am completely satisfied with my MagicJack and just renewed my service for 5yrs for $60 so I guess that states my confidence in this VoIP setup.

Comments:

Review by RockyJim See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Inexpensive and great quality for the price"
Bad "Get used to "chat" support"
Overall "Great value, competitive with service 15x more expensive"

·Skybeam
I've been using magicJack for 4 weeks now. Bought a 1 year+5 year plan; hoping they stick around, service is $1.50/month.

This replaced my second line with another VOIP service. Call quality is actually a little better than my other VOIP. Simple to install, worked in 60 seconds. Not as feature-rich as other VOIPs, but the basics it offers are good enough.

I mention "chat" support as a "Bad" point, but it's really just "different". The service I'ev received over the chat lines has generally been very good -- better than that I've gotten over live phone support with my cable operator.

I'll replace my primary line with an MJ as soon as I can transfer my primary line phone number.

Comments:

Review by antoinefinch See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Cumberland,NC
Good "Cheap easy installation"
Bad "poor customer service not area codes covered"
Overall "$19.95 a year its worth every penny you paid"

considered Time Warner VOIP Service 19.95 a month for 12 months and also Vonage but for the price MJ can't be beat. Dont look for a lot help from CS at MJ. Run MJ as a service

check on the MJ forum for information on how to do that. I rum MJ using VTECH 5.8 DIGITAL WIRELESS PHONES,THRU A 7 PORT USB 2.0 POWERED HUB.

Comments:

Review by grape8pe See Profile

• Location: Conyers,Rockdale,GA
Good "Price and Ease of Setup"
Bad "Service can be unreliable at times"
Overall "Great alternative for an extra line at the house"

I first bought my magicjack in July 2008 and have ups and downs with the service. After setup up QoS on my router things improved. Some calls work great and other contain static or other sound problems. For me it's not been a huge problem because I use my cell phone for 95% of me calls anyway. Magicjack for me is more of a 2nd line. Definitely worth the money. Don't expect things to be reliable like a POTS line or Vonage though.

member for 10.7 years, 161 visits, last login: 5.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Authority See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Amazing cost, reasonable quality."
Bad "Requires computer on at all times. :("
Overall "Revolutionary game changing product and concept!"

I got my MagicJack from CEO Dan Borislow himself at CES 2008 in Las Vegas. I had read about it and was excited to check it out. The MagicJack is a GREAT product with a revolutionary business concept; instead of just routing calls from phone company to phone company over the internet why not BE the phone company at both ends? That's the "magic" of their business model and why they're able to be so inexpensive.

For the geeks out there one challenge in using this product is setting up QoS so that downloads and other web traffic don't kill your call quality. There's too wide a range of ports they use to give them all priority so the best solution is probably to dedicate an old PC to MagicJack and give it high priority via MAC address or IP address.

They could have had a better name, they could do a better job in communicating to the market, they could have additional equipment options, but with all that said I'm impressed with Dan and MagicJack.

member for 14.7 years, 1437 visits, last login: 288 days ago

Comments:

Review by eplebnista See Profile

• Location: Muscle Shoals,Colbert,AL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Cheap, Easy Install, Works Well on DSL Lite"
Bad "Requires WinXP or Vista, Softphone Prominence"
Overall "Perfect for saving on long distance charges"

The price and no monthly cost sold me on the MagicJack Device & Service. Ordered over a weekend, shipped the following Monday and it arrived two days later. Been using it for a week and so far it has worked perfectly for my intended purpose(outgoing long-distance calls). Would not hesitate to recommend to others with at least two computers.

Update:

Still working beautifully for over a month now. I must be lucky, because I have not experienced any of the major problems others have reported.

Update 2:

Had a slight hiccup when MJ "lost" my second year of service after a couple of months past the start of the second year's activation. After several MJ tech support chat sessions spanning a week's time, the problem got fixed and my second year of service was "found" and re-activated. It was a good thing that I had saved all of my previous order details/emails/etc. that I had with them to document that I had already bought/paid for the second year when I made the initial purchase. Without that info I have a feeling that I would never have had my second year of service re-activated and I would have had to buy the second year again in order to continue using the service. I plan on just buying one year at a time from now on, no matter how much of a discount they give on bundling multiple years of service together. Overall the service is still a great deal as a second line for saving on long distance charges.

Comments:

Review by MrMoody See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Johnston,NC
Good "Cheap, pretty much plug and play"
Bad "Choppy sound during prime time,PC has to be running"
Overall "Don't bother if you are in AL/GA/SC/NC"

I ordered the MagicJack and paid my $46. It was delayed a week due to "unexpected order volume," which they notified me by email. Despite their promise to only bill after 30 days, they processed the full charge immediately (i.e. a week before shipping) and then refunded it. They sent another email apologizing for this.

When the device arrived, it plugged right in, and auto installed a ROM drive, which it then would have autoexecuted if I hadn't had it disabled. I went ahead and ran the autorun to install the software. I wish they made a LAN version that runs through your router instead of a PC.

It seems to work pretty seamlessly, caller ID even works on the phone (number only), but the sound is horrible and chops badly. There is nothing wrong with my system or setup; Skype works perfectly and I have no USB issues. The chopping goes away late at night. My ping is low even during prime time as can be verified by my DSLR monitor.

Some research quickly reveals that the Atlanta server they use is overloaded and causing the problems. There is no way to change servers within the software. Apparently you used to be able to change the Hosts file to force it to another server but they fixed this and it no longer works.

I guess the magical jack is going back before the trial is up. I hope they fix their server problems eventually. It seems like a good idea, but I guess I will keep looking for a good VoIP solution.