magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by Sarentack See Profile

• Location: Lumberton,Lamar,MS
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "$20 a year, easy to install, works like a phone service"
Bad "lack of phone numbers, tech support."
Overall "Its worth getting only if your internet connection is always stable"

·CableOne
Its worth the money especially if you call LD. I plan on replacing my landline service with it because my connection is stable all the time, no problems with it so far.

The downside to the magicjack is not the device itself, but actually finding a good standalone internet service, cable may not be ideal but it all depends on where you live to. DSL seems to work best with MJ or a Cable internet service, basically want a stable internet connection and it will serve you well.

Comments:

Review by vintagewino See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "Very economical."
Bad "No uninstall procedure Shards of info hidden on your system."
Overall "May not be the right item for everyone, but it's worth a try."

·TekSavvy DSL
Update Feb 7, 2012:

Have had no problem with the MJ unit. Sad to see such such a high jump in rates last month. Certainly far above any rate of inflation that's been posted in North America over the 3 year period. Early 2010, signed up for the 5 year plan, so have that going for a while, yet. What happens in 2015 when those 5 years are up? Who knows???

Voice quality is very good. No complaints. Noticed calls get cut off at 90 minutes duration. Could not redial to finish the call. Tried next day, no problem with same #.

Unit still used for outgoing calls only. Very inexpensive LD.

For me, still a keeper.

Opinion, therefore review, not changed. Haven't used the tech support, so I cannot honestly comment on it.

*********************************

Original review ~ July, 2009:

I had seen the ads, thought what the heck?

Picked it up in February, running it on XP Pro on a Pentium M laptop. Chose a Milwaukee phone #. Couple of small tweaks, and it was functional. The unit is used for outgoing LD calls only, and is removed from the machine when not in use.

The bad:
There is no uninstall program, so you have a hunt to find the entries hidden in your registry and system.
The Canadian & US websites could best be describes as "visually noisy".
The unit may have a lifespan if left on continually due to constant writing to it. Some have said about a year.

The good:
Quality with everyone we have tried is excellent across Ontario and through the US.
Oddly enough, the poorest quality occurs when calling a Milwaukee #. We have yet to figure out if it is MJ or the person we're calling.
Economical - Omitting the hardware cost ($20US), at less than @$2 US /month - you'll likely spend more on coffee in a week.

Other:
Canadian #'s have just come in. For the charge for a Canadian # ($5/month), I'll stick with the US#, thank you.
A stable high speed internet line is strongly recommended.

Have had no calls to their tech support, so that really can't be commented on.

member for 11.3 years, 2418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Snakeoil See Profile

• Location: Mentor,Lake,OH
Good "Cheap semi-reliable phone service over the net."
Bad "Echoing in the line, dongle gets unloaded by the PC. Customer service."
Overall "If you seldom use a land line, but want a back up phone, go this way."

Before we had Magicjack, we were paying AT&T 60 to 65 bucks a year for basic land line services. I called AT&T to cancel my service, and the friendly customer service agent tried selling me a lower cost service plan. I told him that AT&T should have told me this years ago, when the options became availble, and not wait until I cancel.

So I hooked up the Magicjack dongle, paid for 3 years of service. The only problems are when my kid is playing games on his PC, then the magicjack gets echos, or lags. We are going to upgrade to the wall magicjack unit.

Over all we are happy with the service, because the monthly cost is below 10 bucks a month. Granted you get nearly zero in customer support, and the account information page is lacking vital information. For example, how much time is left to on my service.

But other then that, it sure beats paying 60-65 bucks for a land line that we only used about once or twice a week.

member for 14.3 years, 6319 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Pooler,Chatham,GA
Good "Works well. Great value"
Bad "Can't get a credit and can't talk to a live rep."
Overall "I will continue to persue my credit."

January 17th, 2012

To whom it may concern,

I have found the sound quality very good and I am generally satisfied. My
gripe, along with most Magic Jack users is the inability to talk to a real
person. I inadvertently ordered the 5 year plan when I signed up for the 30
day trial for Magic Jack Plus. I have tried repeatedly to get a credit
($108.00) as the $69.95 first year charge includes one year of service, but
they have not honored my request as of this date. They did transfer my
number from Vonage for a charge of $20.00 which was what I had agreed to.
Now that the 30 day trial is over, I have been charged $81.64 which I want
to dispute as this is 16.7% above the $69.95 charge. I understand that there
is tax on this amount, but I want to know why it is excessive.

I am pleased for the time being with the savings and I'm still way under
what Vonage was charging me annually, but I want my credit and some answers
to my questions. I will not give up!

Yours truly,

Joel P

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by jwxa See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "Good Value, Good Call Quality, E-911 OK"
Bad "old magicJack requires always on computer"
Overall "Happy customer - I have one for home and business"

I've used the 'original' magicJack since around 2007/8. I bought it as a line for my small business and I've mostly been happy with it. There has been the occasional echo and dropped call, but I think my ISP played a role in that. Sometimes, the call is a little more noisy for the person being called. But, quality has always been decent on the receiving end. I think a lot of it has to do with your ISP and type of HSI.

Initially, I was using it with Time Warner Internet and June 2009, I moved into a Comcast ISP area. Call quality has been better with Comcast HSI.

I broke my first one and recently purchased the magicJack Plus and feel it works as well as the fist version. I don't see too much difference in quality between plugging it into a computer vs plugging it into the wall.

My parents finally gave up their POTS line they had 35+ years and have an original magicJack and they like it too. Initially, they had aDSL and found that the calls were dropped almost all the time. Moving to Time Warner cable HSI made a big difference for their call quality.

By the way, I can be online, stream Netflix, and use magicJack problem free,

Comments:

Review by mrhud See Profile

• Location: Hudson,QC
Good "Easy ordering, easy install, easy delivery"
Bad "No Canadian number porting, dropped calls when streaming Netflix"
Overall "Good value, very inexpensive"

I originally installed the Magicjack app on my iPhone, then just before Xmas I got an email saying the Magicjack Plus was half price ($35). At first I dismissed it, then about a week later took the plunge and ordered it.

It arrived about 2 weeks later. I installed it no problem, and use it with a cordless phone system in my house.

The call quality is great, and I have had no real issues aside from dropped calls when streaming Netflix. I guess the bandwidth requirements are just a little too much for my ISP service to handle.

I recommend it.

member for 6.8 years, 100 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by J E F F See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Very inexpensive, installed very easily, works well so far."
Bad "N/A"
Overall "I have people I call in the states, and across Canada, doesn't make sense not to have it."

·Rogers Portable ..
Not sure if I should say anything about Tech support, however, when I install MagicJack, in automatically installed updates.. (and said "We'll now install updates...Lucky You!") The package got to me pretty quickly, though I was surprised that it was mailed out only 35 miles down the road. Plugged in unit, Vista installed drivers, and then, it opened the "Drive" since this device has some memory that runs as a disk space. So I let windows autorun the built-in program. It was like this, and it was like that, and so forth and so on, 3 minutes later, I plugged in my phone, and made a successful call.
Reliability doesn't get a 5 since there have been the odd time that I get a dial tone, dial the number, but hear nothing. I just retry and it goes through.

Really, for $19.99 a year, and $20 for the unit, it pretty much sells itself. If you have a somewhat good internet, and have half decent computer, you're going to be in the good.

This is nice too, because you can take your laptop (if you use it on that) and BOOM..you can call anywhere in the US or Canada from your favorite watering hole that offers free wi-fi...plus, perfect when you are on vacation...

Call quality was very good. No cracked that you sometimes hear over a digital network. Maybe I was lucky, but...$40?? Man, you really can't lose.

More upgrade for magicjack...improved quality

Now they need to have it set up for Windows 7 and LINUX...not everyone wants windows guys...get with the picture.

December 26 - 2009 -

Still using magic occasionally. They still need to get area codes for Canada to make it a 'real' service. Not sure if or when that might happen. My guess is that the CRTC is preventing it. So, we're stuck as if we are calling from New Mexico or wherever...oh well.

HA! Time for an update - (september 2010)

Some issues

1) Set up for auto renewal. So some people were upset with this auto-renewal, not me. That said, it never auto renewed so I was left w/o service...
2) Connectivity issues. It's not 100% right now. Unsure why. If I try calling my number, I get fast busy signal. Outgoing seems okay.

Although connectivity maybe I can blame on the old beast I am running it on:
A 1998 relic Fujitsu Laptop: PII 233MHz running XP Pro. Maybe time for an upgrade? Only replace memory (to upgrade to 192 MB - the max this rig can do) and power adaptor was fried.

January 2012 - I got the new MagicJack that can be run computerless. No issues. I should had paid more attention, though, it offered to keep my same number and I declined no...guess not enough sleep. Anyway, seems to be working great, and giving the old laptop (circa 1998, before this site even existed) a break. Plus electrical savings. I do believe they limit you to 90 minute call though...nothing is perfect, but beats paying $20-$30/month+.

member for 10.6 years, 3874 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by technoguy1 See Profile

• Location: North Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL

I was not satisfied with voice quality. Calls used to drop after some time. Customer service executive said there was some problem with my internet connection, though I was already using a high speed internet connection from etherlink.

• Location: N2E3S
Good "Very cheap"
Bad "Can't port my current number"
Overall "For low to moderate usage, the price can't be beat!"

I purchased my MagicJack in December and have been using it for about
2 weeks. It arrived in good order, within a couple of weeks.

Installation wasn't completely smooth, I had to restart the process a
couple times, but I found technical support chat very helpful and once
the installation completed it was quick and easy.

My major disappointment is finding out that I can NOT port over my
existing home phone number, they do not offer this service in Canada.
It did take technical support a while to confirm this.

However, I'm satisfied with the call quality and for the price I'm
willing to change my number with a few dozen friends and businesses.
Call quality is satisfactory, but not impressive. I am pleased to get
my voice mail delivered to my inbox as a WAV file.

I am finding inconsistencies in how it handles businesses with "press
1" options. Most of these work fine, a couple have refused to work at
all, I'm not sure what the difference is.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Easy to install, value for money for very basic use, fax capable"
Bad "interconnection from other VOIP/PSTN lines, relatively low sound, limited features"
Overall "It is very good for very basic call functions"

·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
I have 2 MJ plus and one NetTalk duo. Out of one MJ plus I have ported out one to PhonePower and thinking to port out second one too. I am having difficulty in receiving calls from some of the other VOIP and PSTN lines as they are not able to reach me. They always get busy tone. I have learnt that there is an inter connectivity issue with MJ to and from other service providers. Since I am using MJ for my home business (very bad choice ) and home line, I found this is bit frustrating. Bottom line you get what you pay for. So no complaint but to move on with better options.

MJ wont display your name in out bound caller id, some times it displays "unknown". Some people will not bother to pick up the call if it says unknown unless they remember the number. So it is hard to keep up with calls to people that don't remember your number.

Their website is not user friendly at all. Very hard to get a customer care person on live chat. Only way to get someone to use the "Returns" link. Very tricky

Call volume is pretty low compared to other VOIP services, I believe it's because the compact design (with limited hardware) of their adapter.

If you don't bother the disadvantages of the service, it is a good service for basic players in terms of value for money. Otherwise, not recommended.