magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by rlchoate See Profile

• Location: Westhope,Bottineau,ND
Good "Cheap and works anywhere"
Bad "Sometimes the behavior of the phone is a bit inconsistent"
Overall "Cheap local and long distance phone service that is worth the minor issues"

I have had this thing for about 2 years going on my third and it works as good as I would expect although seems like when you renew you lose all your contacts but eh not a big deal I only use it as a back up anyhow although it has allowed me to cut down on my wireless phone service bills so all and all I would say its well worth the subtle issues. Overall a good value.

Comments:

Review by Sumrall See Profile

• Location: Sherman,Grayson,TX
Good "Money-saver, clear sound, extra features"
Bad "computer must be on"
Overall "Doubt it can be beat for the money"

Will not be an exciting review as everything has worked as advertised from day one.
Whether where I live has anything to do with its success I can't answer.
It seems there is a love/hate following. With this in mind I tested it for seven months - purchased January 2010 - Had no problems so canceled my land line of $87/mo back in July. Have not regretted it for a second.

I use MJ mostly wireless with laptop running Win7 64 bit. Router is Netgear Rangemax.
Cable internet is 5Mbps download and 500Kbps up. Do have a couple of cellphones just in case...

Have never had to ask MJ for help.Boring review, I know.

Comments:

Review by ChuckIL9 See Profile

• Location: Peoria,Peoria,IL
Good "Low Cost, Cool Gadget"
Bad "Software Compatibility, Computer Must Be Running"
Overall "Just too Quirky"

24-Sep-10 Update:

My MagicJack died. Support was unable to resurrect it. It just wasn't ever completely reliable, and I would not care to repeat the MagicJack experience again. The service had pockets of reliability, lasting upwards of two months, and then I'd get pushed an upgrade that would break it. Or randomly, weird things like call limits, echo, dropout would just happen. It's just not reliable enough for me to want to go out and buy another device from them.

4-Oct-09 Update:

My brother in-law was cleaning the house and found the magicJack I gave him almost 2 years ago. I decided to take a look at some of the forums, and noticed things were pretty quiet regarding the device that frustrated me 2 years ago. So for another $19.95 I decided to give it a try again (my primary VOIP service is stable and satisfactory, so it was time to play with something again). I have to say, things seem to have improved. I first had to renew my license, and while at it, noticed that magicJack now had a local number for me. I changed my number to local one, plunked down my $19.95 and plugged the sucker in. The software updated, but I had an error 400, so thought rebooting might fix things...it didn't. I looked on the magicJack forum and saw another person had the same problem and a refresh of his account by magicJack support seemed to fix things. I initiated a chat session and within 10 minutes my account was refreshed and I was in business (support was actually helpful and prompt this go around). So I've been trying things out for the last week, and have to say, the service has been stable and altogether satisfactory (although it's only been a week). I did have a problem plugging it into a computer that I originally tried the magicJack on 2 years ago, in that the message said it would receive an update in 60 seconds, which never happened. I manually updated by going to the magicJack website, and that too worked and I was in business in about 2 minutes. After 40 or so calls over both wired broadband, and a 3G card, the service seems to work well. Pleasantly surprising! I'll update more after 6 months, but so far, so good for basic phone service and voicemail.

Original Review:

I bought a MagicJack because it looked like a cool little device that could save a lot on long distance bills. I already have a VOIP provider that I am happy with, but I thought if this gadget worked out I could dump them and save a lot of dough. The first thing I found is that the install didn't go as smooth as I would have liked. My computer is loaded with video and audio editing applications, and the MagicJack didn't seen to like what was on my system. After playing around a while, I was able to get it to work for a few days in a row, but then the softphone would die, and I would get frustrated. If the computer rebooted, it would hang unless I removed the MagicJack. Even when it did work, I would frequently get the "all circuits busy" message when calling during peak times. After a while I gave up and gave the device to my brother in-law, who didn't have much better luck than me. Right now I think it's sitting in a drawer somewhere. Best of luck to them, and I hope they get things worked out. It just wasn't worth saving $200 a year on VOIP bills at the cost of reliability. It seems that there are customers who have the device working with little issue, so I don't know that my experience is typical. Take it for what it's worth, another anonymous opinion on the internet.

Comments:

Review by jwichman See Profile

• Location: Emden,Shelby,MO
Good "Cheap. Easy to install."
Bad " Company lies.Blocks numbers to small telephone companies. Support sucks."
Overall "Worth it if the people you want to call are in areas of US connected. Borrow one first!"

The company flat out lies to it's customers!

For example "call any number in the United States or Canada"!
»HELP- Magic Jack can't call local ISP area code
(Unless you or the person you want to call are served by a small telephone company and we think it's too expensive - in which case, you may be unable
place or receive any calls that you want. you can ask us about it for weeks and
we'll deny it unless you persist and then we'll offer you a pro-rated refund with
the condition that you never sign up again!.)

Don't give up your day job - or real telephone.

Comments:

Review by Kamran1 See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Middlesex,NJ
Good "cheepest service"
Bad "voice breaks; time consuming customer service"
Overall "good as a second line"

User since November, 2008. It is a cheep VOIP service. However voice quality suffers if there is an activity on hard drive of computer e.g. anti-virus updates automatically or there is any other activity on computer that requires CPU usage. I had Verizon DSL for first year and have FIOS now and even changed computer but still voice suffers because of computer usage.

Good as a second line.

Comments:

Review by baineschile See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "PRICE!! Snap installation, always on"
Bad "Voice quality, no tech support, odd phone numbers"
Overall "Good alernative to people who dont use home phone a lot."

Ordered Magicjack just like everyone else did, from the website. $40 up front, and now $20/year. The price, obviously, cannot be beat.

The only reason I got it is because I have a ton of contacts in Canada (hey, I am from Detroit, we are practically Canada). My wireless carrier doesnt cover unlimited North American calls, but if they ever do, I will probably dump Magicjack.

I received the pack in the mail about 4 days later, packaging was nice (underrated aspect of a lot of companies). Set up the install, tweaked some QoS settings on the router for optimum performance, and I was off. The only thing I really dont like is that I have an Alabama area code. Not that I have anything against Bama, its just a bit odd when I make calls on it to family and friends, and they see it on the caller ID.

Got a headset with it, works great

Call quality is only fair. Its a bit muffled, but, I have never dropped a call, or have one not go through.

I have only (attempted) to call tech support once on initial install, (to see if I had a choice NOT to get an alabama number) but I couldnt find a number on the website. I managed to come across on on here (thanks BBR!) and called up, but ended up in a never ending automated system circle.

Would recommend to a friend as a supplemental line, but not as a main communication line.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
Update: 7/21/10

As of 7/1/2010, my friends have moved from Canada, and I have discontinued service. It was overall reliable, but not a high quality main communication line.

Comments:

Review by dsl4ever4 See Profile

• Location: Whitewright,Grayson,TX
Good "Reliable-Excellent call quality-Value"
Bad "NA"
Overall "After trying some of the other VOIP solutions, this one is best for me."

Easy to set up...can take with me and have unlimited long distance as long as I have access to broadband. Only disadvantage I can see is that computer has to be on to receive and make calls, but voicemail is active at all times. \

Call quality is excellent, rarely any echo and I have yet to have a call drop. I have used the product for approximately 6 months and wanted to wait before giving a review.

Comments:

Review by ritzy57 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "Calls are clear, haven't been booted off yet!"
Bad "PC must be on for it to work."
Overall "You can't beat the price!"

After trying and rejecting ATT call vantage, because it was so unreliable during a VERY stressful time in my life, I was once again looking for a cheap alternative to landline phone service, and saw the add for Magic Jack on TV. They advertise $20.00 per year on voice over IP.The initial financial outlay was around $40.00. They sent a Magic Jack phone jack, along with a short USB extension cord, and directions for installing. Piece of cake!

Unfortunately, because I run a very old Compaq Presario 5000, and have minimal RAM, the Magic Jack uses up a good chunk of resources, when it is running.

So, I mostly keep it unplugged, until I want to make a phone call. (keeping in mind that MOST of the people I talk to, are out of state.) I have kept a local land line, just in case, and when people call me, they call my landline. So, yes, I am surely getting what I have paid for, I have recently recommended Magic Jack to a friend, whose hubby is in the military, and they have recently been deployed to Japan. They bought a Magic Jack, and that is how they keep in touch. Works for them, works for me.

So far, I haven't needed to call any techs, because it works! I havden't been to their website in ages, for the same reason.

Reccomend??? Yes

July 5, 2010

Still have Magic Jack. It still works great. I don;t keep it plugged in all the time, so I have to wait for it to connect, when I want to use it, which slows down making a call, but for the price, I can't complain. I use it for long distance only.

Comments:

Review by ricker2 See Profile

• Location: Sun Prairie,Dane,WI
Good "cheap"
Bad "you get what you pay for"
Overall "too many hassels"

Have had issues with mj for the past 6 months. Any noise in the cable line can cause static or dropped calls. Have to restart mj when computer is woken up. When prompted to enter a number for a specific department the other side doesn't respond to the keypad entry. Save your money.

member for 12.5 years, 166 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by sabresfan See Profile

• Location: Hope Mills,Cumberland,NC
Good "Call quality has improved greatly over the last year"
Bad "Updates that cause problems for users"
Overall "Good service for the price"

I've been using MJ for over a year now with good results. When I first received my MJ the calls were choppy and I had issues with it not working correctly. One thing people need to understand about MJ is that if your doing a lot of things online or with your computer your call quality can suffer. I needed to cleanup my computer and give MJ the space it needed to work properly. This service works well as a secondary line but I do not place enough faith in to be my primary line. Overall I'm pleased with the service and the price but I'm testing other voip providers now to find one that does not need to keep a pc running all time and that doesn't block ata use.