SHENTEL page on DSLReports

Review by im_dave See Profile

• Location: Forest,Bedford,VA
Good "Seems like i see the service go offline about once per year for about 5-10 minutes. I can live with that. "
Bad "over the past 10 years, it's be exactly the same speed for a bit more money. A speed bump would be nice."
Overall "No frills, rock solid service. No idea if sales or tech support are any good. Never used them."

Having been at the same address since 2003, the local cable provider has changed hands twice since as of May/2014. The second company, Jetbroadband, made some good infrastructure updates that stopped the signal from dropping whenever we got a heavy rain. No noticeable change on my end since Shentel picked up this area other than the name of the recipient of automatic monthly payment.

All of my TV watching is done through streaming. Each of 3 TVs has a roku on it. Even being a binge streamer, I'm generally under 150 gb/month with a cap of 200 on my 5 mbps plan. At 5 mbps, I can comfortably watch netflix through the roku while surfing or gaming.

Comments:

Review by vanquish26 See Profile

• Location: Clarksville,Mecklenburg,VA
Good "Paying for 25Mbps Down 4 Mbps Up. I live in a 1200 person town and very happy with service"
Bad "DNS never stable. I use Googles DNS IP's 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
Overall "Great. Fastest service offered in my area."

Great service for Internet. Customer service is very nice. No outages in 2 months so far. New models of modems for high speeds.

Comments:

Review by NattyBrarian See Profile

• Location: Beaufort,Beaufort,SC
Good "No contract, fairly affordable"
Bad "CRAPPY Internet speeds! Monopoly - only option at my apartment complex"
Overall "Irritating, but it's my only choice"

My biggest gripe is that the fastest internet speed available to us here in an apartment complex in SC is 1.5 Mbps. It is ridiculously slow!! We have no other options for internet service except for the very expensive satellite internet via Dish or DirecTV. This a bare-bones re-selling of a dish service, which I'm sure my apartment complex gets a kick-back for. They make you think you're getting cable internet, but it's really only DSL, and you get to pay $5.00/month for the cheap "modem." I'm SO irritated by the slow internet, and beyond frustrated that they don't at least offer a 5 Mbps service/option by now. Ghetto. We're stuck with some no-name company located in another part of the country.

Comments:

Review by SamTheMan7 See Profile

• Location: Forest,Bedford,VA
Good "Fast internet, Excellent Phone Quality"
Bad "Expensive HD Service"
Overall "Great local cable company. Great speeds, good reliability, etc"

UPDATE: 13 FEB 2012

- HD Selection, while decent, is not worth the $90 per month I pay for TV. We are (most likely) switching to one of the 2 Satellite companies for TV.
-Internet is still as fast as ever, averaging about 14.5 mbps down and 3 mbps up (and very reliable)
-Phone has been very constant and good
-Service has only gone out 2 times total. and for 5-10 mins at that.

In all, as a comparison with Verizon DSL and Phone, Our internet has gone out 2 times vs countless times with Verizon, mainly because of equipment failure at the node.
Total bill: $191
------------------------------------------------
Came out and installed within the time period stated.

One issue is that the installer did not go through any of the features or tell me how to use the HDDVR, or explaining other features. He also did not run a test to see if I was getting the speed that I am provisioned to get.

I am ~1 mb off of my speed of 15 mbps.

Comments:

Review by ford8nlover See Profile

• Location: Ansted,Fayette,WV
Good "Fast Internet, HD Channels, Affordable, No contract!"
Overall "Cheaper than Fronteir, Very Satisfied"

·exede by ViaSat
Previously had Frontier DSL, Phone, And TV for $200+ per month. With Shentel I'm paying $117 for 6 Mbps Internet, Unlimited Home Phone, And 3 rooms with tv. Bottom line is dump frontier and switch to shentel!

Comments:

Review by ISPhoax See Profile

• Location: Farmville,Prince Edward,VA
Good "Polite Personnel"
Bad "No Tech Clue, Low Cable Signal Strength/Drops (pixelation/drops), LOW Network Quality (IP), 60% of Advertised Speeds only"
Overall "VERY LOW value!"

This ISP serves Central VA. If I were a regular customer, I would only come to know them only as ShenTel, AKA NTC »ntc-com.com/ . They are in fact, SHENANDOAH TELECOMMUNICATIONS Co. Their IP TRAFFIC is offloaded to NTT-USA (Verio). NTC seems to be geared to serve college students.

Big Problem Areas:

1) ShenTel's DNS service just plain sucks! Does not work half the time.

2) Network service is NEARLY bi-directionally symmetrical. Network management as I understand is in Blacksburg, VA, and in talking with them, understand little about using the proper tools to monitor the proper interfaces and devices within their infrastructure, and ensure proper provisioning.

3) IP service is AWFUL. I have had to call the customer service jokers at least 5 times in the past 2 months to tell them that they are servicing me at just under 55% of the advertised speed (5 Mbps.. did I say that is their MAX offering? It is.) for which I am consistently paying a high price. 3 out of the 5 times that I have called, they sent a tech out with a laptop, wanting to do a "speedtest" to speedtest.net (sarcasam ON) A highly reliable network testing tool to be sure! (sarcasm OFF)

3A) High latency IP service to CPE. Have given them detailed info on their own network interfaces, which they seem to not understand.

Anyway, looking at options, which are fewer than few. Employer is paying for my cable and network services, However, money is money, no matter whose it is. Not getting the value that I NEED, and paying the type of prices for VERY LOW quality of provisioning is PISSING me off.

ShenTel, if you are listening, I am a VERY DISSATISFIED customer, who will certainly NOT give you guys ANY TYPE of reference.

Comments:

Review by nolder See Profile

• Location: Lynchburg,Lynchburg City,VA
Good "fast and dependable"
Bad "pricy"
Overall "They are doing upgrades so I am in a"

·Verizon Online DSL
I am very happy with the speed. The price is much more than Verizon and I don't need the extra speed. Verizon provides the modem and I must rent from Shentel. Shentel is doing major upgrades since buying Jetbroadband, so I will wait and see what the final result may be.