SHENTEL page on DSLReports

Review by im_dave See Profile

• Location: Forest,Bedford,VA
Good "Seems like i see the service go offline about once per year for about 5-10 minutes. I can live with that. "
Bad "over the past 10 years, it's be exactly the same speed for a bit more money. A speed bump would be nice."
Overall "No frills, rock solid service. No idea if sales or tech support are any good. Never used them."

Having been at the same address since 2003, the local cable provider has changed hands twice since as of May/2014. The second company, Jetbroadband, made some good infrastructure updates that stopped the signal from dropping whenever we got a heavy rain. No noticeable change on my end since Shentel picked up this area other than the name of the recipient of automatic monthly payment.

All of my TV watching is done through streaming. Each of 3 TVs has a roku on it. Even being a binge streamer, I'm generally under 150 gb/month with a cap of 200 on my 5 mbps plan. At 5 mbps, I can comfortably watch netflix through the roku while surfing or gaming.

Comments:

Review by vanquish26 See Profile

• Location: Clarksville,Mecklenburg,VA
Good "Paying for 25Mbps Down 4 Mbps Up. I live in a 1200 person town and very happy with service"
Bad "DNS never stable. I use Googles DNS IP's 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
Overall "Great. Fastest service offered in my area."

Great service for Internet. Customer service is very nice. No outages in 2 months so far. New models of modems for high speeds.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by NattyBrarian See Profile

• Location: Beaufort,Beaufort,SC
Good "No contract, fairly affordable"
Bad "CRAPPY Internet speeds! Monopoly - only option at my apartment complex"
Overall "Irritating, but it's my only choice"

My biggest gripe is that the fastest internet speed available to us here in an apartment complex in SC is 1.5 Mbps. It is ridiculously slow!! We have no other options for internet service except for the very expensive satellite internet via Dish or DirecTV. This a bare-bones re-selling of a dish service, which I'm sure my apartment complex gets a kick-back for. They make you think you're getting cable internet, but it's really only DSL, and you get to pay $5.00/month for the cheap "modem." I'm SO irritated by the slow internet, and beyond frustrated that they don't at least offer a 5 Mbps service/option by now. Ghetto. We're stuck with some no-name company located in another part of the country.

Comments:

Review by ford8nlover See Profile

• Location: Ansted,Fayette,WV
Good "Fast Internet, HD Channels, Affordable, No contract!"
Overall "Cheaper than Fronteir, Very Satisfied"

·exede by ViaSat
Previously had Frontier DSL, Phone, And TV for $200+ per month. With Shentel I'm paying $117 for 6 Mbps Internet, Unlimited Home Phone, And 3 rooms with tv. Bottom line is dump frontier and switch to shentel!