Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by k421 See Profile

• Location: Davenport,Polk,FL

First, after ordering cable from brighthouse they never showed up for the appointment I took work off for, no call no show. Set it up for nrxt day again, took work off because was insured they would show up. Second day no call no show. Third day of taking off work they finally showed up about 3 hours after appointment time. He was supposed to run a new line to one of our bedrooms but refused, was in and out as fast as he could. 20 minutes after him leaving half our channels do not work, bedroom he was supposed to run line to doesn't work at all with the box we pay for, wifi takes longer than dial up service etc. Called again and its been almost 2 weeks of the run around and waiting for a tech to show up?? I would not recommend brighthouse to anyone! Worse service i have ever seen in my life. We will not be paying any bill. When they shut the boxes off we will place then in the garbage can for pick up.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. Please reach out to me here »Bright House Networks Direct and lets get these things taken care of for you.

Thanks,

Gary
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks for reaching out...

As discussed we will see you on Thursday morning bright and early...

Thanks for...

Giving us a chance to make this right and the followup that all went well this morning...if you need anything don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Review by Almondo See Profile

• Location: Titusville,Brevard,FL
Good "Pretty consistent bandwidth, good routing paths, pretty reliable."
Bad "No native IPv6 support yet"
Overall "Very happy with everything except lack of IPv6"

We moved to Florida a bit over 5 years ago. Initially we had AT&T DSL, for about a week, ports blocked, retarded support, epic fail.

Then we had BrightHouse install RoadRunner, I think it was 10/1Mbit but might have been 20/2. In any case, that connection was very reliable except the day that the storm came and a big branch fell on it and physically took cable and the power out.

That was restored quickly within a day. After a little over a year we moved to a new house and took the service with us. Hooked up quick, worked pretty well but after about 6 months we were seeing some intermittent packet loss. Support logged in remotely and identified a poor signal condition. Tech was dispatched the next day, identified long/old inground cable run as the issue, replaced cable, left on surface, quality returned. Cable was buried the following week. After a year and a half we moved again and took the service with us. Lightning was brand new. We tried it but it just wasn't ready for prime time in our area then so we dropped back to top tier of DOCSIS2 for about a year. Then we tried Lightning again I think it was 40/2 or thereabouts, no more issues. After about 2 years BrightHouse called marketing faster speeds and we took it, very reliable still no issues. When 90/10 became available I took it and also added a static IPv4 /29. In December 2014 my wife noticed an article indicating we would get a free speed boost in 1/2015. I had my doubts. But low and behold on 1/12/2015 I ran a routine speed test after a VM image push greatly exceeded my rated speed (peaked at 175Mbps/5Min average according to Cacti on my co-located full gigabit outbound edge at Terramark) and the speed test showed 167Mbps. I have consistently been able to pull full-capacity rail and frequently see over spec rail of about 110% in both directions. This is not speculative or bandwidth testing, this is me pushing whole real 10/30/50 gigabyte virtual machine images back and forth, real pipe bagging work.

My only complaint is the lack of native IPv6 support. I have a bunch of IPv6 only VMs in multiple locations that I reach via the HE.NET tunnel I have routed through my BrightHouse link and unlike IPv4 traffic that runs full rail+, the free HE.NET tunnels usually top out at about 20Mbps and on a really good day almost 25Mbps. This is HE.NET limiting or topping out but hey, it is free IPv6 transit as are the IPv6 /48s they route me, so I cannot/will not ever complain to or about HE.NET, they completely and totally rock the IPv6 world.

In summary, I am very happy with BrightHouse and will be even more so once they implement native IPv6.

My current gear is an Arris DG1670A and some other little A/N dual band/two port device upstairs doing the MoCA secondary bridge thing (which also works very well).

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by dellfromhell See Profile

• Location: Melbourne Beach,Brevard,FL
Good "Friendly people"
Bad "Terribly slow speeds, no 24 hour support, long waits on hold"
Overall "Only game in town, and it shows"

·Earthlink Cable ..
Installer (contracted) arrived on time and was pleasant and professional. Service has gone down hill since then. Modem drops off line and has to be re-booted at least once a week, and speeds are horribly slow. I have spent hours trying to get the problem resolved, but continues to be erratic. I went on hold at 10:25 PM for a "level 3" tech support person, only to be told at 11:05 PM that they closed at 11:00PM.

Very, very bad service and support. Unfortunately, they're the only game in town.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For sharing your recent Bright House Networks experience. Please reach out to me here »Bright House Networks Direct and lets get these issues resolved for you right away.

Thanks,

Still trying...

Would love for you to reach out to me to discuss your service issues. I can't resolve them until I hear from you.

Review by Maliceful See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL

The biggest issue is a lack of competition causing the unwillingness to reinvest in developing the technology. Slow speeds, poor bandwidth, on technology from the 80's. $80 a month pushed me towards DSL, just to get some guarantee in service. Chatted with a support person who did not offer to troubleshoot the line and was happy to upgrade me to lightning at 150 MBps, which is really like 40 or 50, for 150 dollars a month, are you kidding me. To bad FIOS stopped short at my neighborhood or Bright house would have already been out the door, with a swift kick. The service is terrible, their installation technicians are under qualified, and likely under paid, phone service is horrible, and the TV service, which we had briefly is worse.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Muffsalso
join:2010-06-30
Daytona Beach, FL

Tech service

Granted some people still have their clocks blinking on their VCR's, However since I have been with BH I have had very bad service. Although the main problem is living in a manufactured home park. Lawn service keeps tearing up drops. But when you call a repair man out to fix a damaged cable, Why don't he,or she fix the other 6 or so along with mine, with cuts and exposed centers all frayed. Shorley that will affect my service as well. A year ago I had them replace my drop, it had 7 splices in it and they were all underground !!!! The cut and frayed cables are still the way they were a year ago.Can't understand why I am having so much trouble !!! LOL. The techs on this site are awesome. I wish they were all that way !!!!! PS: My cable has been replaced, the others have not.
slaponte

join:2007-05-16
Miami, FL

After 1.5 years, gave up...

I purchased TV, phone and Internet when I moved into this 20 yo house I rent. The TV is ok, been through 3 DVRs, all seem damaged. The signal fluctuates more than DirecTV on cloudy days, so been on cable doesn't make a diff. The phone, barely use it. The problem has been the Internet. Speed 30 (now 35) is great WHEN is up. I have suffered constant disconnects, over months at a time. Sometimes every few minutes, sometimes a couple of days. Many techs have come, none can figure what is wrong. They have changed cables, modems, etc... nothing. So I am feed up. But, the only other available choice is CenturyLink at 10 speed. :-(

who cares

@bhn.net

brighthouse employees

i signed up for bright house in october and everything the salesman told me was a lie just to get me to sign up, i didnt get the service he said i would and i sure didn't get 2 months for free like he said i would,i was a customer for 15 - 20 days and got a bill from them in the mail for 205 and the internet didn't work great like it was supposed to they told me it would be whole house wireless only worked in half the house, since then i switched back to direct tv at least that works like its supposed to , i still have bright house for phone and internet but not happy with them at all

Review by v10tdi See Profile

• Location: Titusville,Brevard,FL
Good "Pretty good reliability, Great support from BHN on this website"
Bad "Chat Support, Email Support"

Lightning 90, Phone (2 lines), TV (1 DVR, 1 non-DVR, whole house) bundle

Comments:

Review by cflHart See Profile

• Location: Palm Bay,Brevard,FL
Good "Reliable, consistent service in Brevard"
Bad "Setting up service calls"
Overall "Long time happy customer"

I have been a BHN customer for many years, at multiple locations. Overall quite satisfied with service. We have phone, internet, tv, alarm. The only issues are generally result of the initial phone support staff. Nearly every tech that has been sent out has been skillful and educated in their field, once you get past the phone staff.

Comments:

Review by RichDL See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Very Fast, usually up"
Bad "Hardware quality is iffy"
Overall "Best service available in Bakersfield"

Upgraded to the 35Megabit from an old 20 megabit service. Installer brought us a new Arris 1670A touchstone data gateway. When its up its fast. But it resets itself 5-10 times a day. Very irritating since my wife and I are gamers. Being disconnected in the middle of something and not being able to get back online for 5 minutes gets old fast. Might be the hardware, might be the old lines in the house.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. Your modem should not be resetting like this. Get with me here »Bright House Networks Direct and lets get this fixed the right way.

Review by mep2003 See Profile

• Location: Palm Harbor,Pinellas,FL
Good "Not much price exceeded value / we need competition."
Bad "Has to be rebooted constantly"
Overall "not dependable and expensive due to the constant need to call and use service department"

Bright House Echo Sucks!!!!!

This is the worst upgrade I have ever experienced with Bright House. I am blocked off Netflix and numerous other sites. The wifi is considerable less than unacceptable. The tech have been out over 6 times and make nothing but excuses. I am canceling my echo service and upgrading to ethernet throughout the house. Then i'm looking for a new carrier. I've been with bright house for 20 years and I don't want to spend another 20 minutes with them. They are not cheap and I should get better service. For the price their service sucks. They blamed the poor wifi on my neighbors interference. I paid to run ethernet throughout the house and I'm still blocked off numerous sites with the new router.

I am happy to have BrightHouse contact me on this matter review my account!!!!

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4026584506
10 minutes later
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4026603324
5 minutes later with a reboot I lost signal or something
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4026609794

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For sharing your recent Bright House Networks experience. Please get with me here ASAP »Bright House Networks Direct and I will get this fixed for you as Echo should not be operating this way. Should be a simple fix.

Re: Thank you...

it is being remove in the morning. Its most likely too late to resolve I can send you my person info if you want to access my account. Please let me now. I just don't want to post my name and address if i can avoid. I own an ac company and I work all day this is the first I got to review your post thank you for responding.

said by mep2003:

I will not post any personal information. I wish you would give me an opportunity to fix this. I can fix it quickly (like tonight if you want). Either post in the link I gave you or send it directly to me at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I will get on it right now.

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by mep2003:

I should clarify....the Netflix issue tonight...the wireless will take a bit more work but it is without a doubt fixable.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Still waiting to hear from you...

As requested I have asked that you reach out to me here »Bright House Networks Direct so we can get this resolved for you.

4 edits

For the benefit of anyone who might read this review including the OP

The experience as described is regrettable and certainly not the norm with this product. There were several options for resolution that I wish the customer had utilized but unfortunately did not including our services here at DSLR, Twitter/Facebook, Office of the President or Share Your Story on our website.

From a technical standpoint the Echo modem does not block Netflix or any other streaming application or websites. The only way this might happen is if the device is improperly installed, configured or is malfunctioning in any case an easy fix.

The wireless concerns raised by this poster are a little more complex however. There are some instances where wireless congestion from other Access Points is so severe that to some degree wireless performance can be impacted. This would happen with any wireless modem or router not just the Echo modem and there is no way to resolve it shy of turning off all of the offending Access Points which isn't likely to happen. In such cases your only option would be to wire each of your connections and use wireless only where you have no other choice.

The OP states that Echo is "not dependable and expensive due to the constant need to call and use service department" - to clarify there is no cost to resolve service issues, service whether onsite or by phone is free to all Echo subscribers, this is part of the service.

As of this morning we have not received the requested contact from the OP despite his invitation for us to review and resolve the matter. This could be because he's busy with the remainder of the holiday week or work. Nonetheless he has been a member here for 9 years so surely he knew about our forums, direct (one to one private) or public (where all may engage) but unfortunately did not utilize these resources before getting to this point, I truly wish he had reached out to me.

Unfortunately I cannot review the Customer Care part of the equation until he reaches out to me. This situation was preventable, had he reached out here it would have been resolved immediately along with any other concerns he might have had. The invitiation to review the entirety of the experience is still open should the OP decide to reach out to me for the benefit of learning from the experience.

Going forward the OP and any other reading this is invited to participate in either our public for direct forums when you have a service or technical concern at the links below.

Public Forums : »Bright House Networks

Private One to One (BHN Direct) : »Bright House Networks Direct
(You must register first before participating in BHN Direct)

jdohe3

join:2010-08-11
Seminole, FL

Massive problems with Brighthouse DNS servers

I have been battling with this for years, so I know what I'm talking about.

In normal operation, I get down/up speeds of about 85/5 but pages load VERY SLOWLY, and when in chats, the chat seizes up every 15 seconds.. and when viewing pictures in a gallery, they load quite slowly.

When I turn on my proxy service, I get down up speeds of 35/4 - which is considerably slower than the normal operation, BUT the pages load instantly.. the chats never seize up, and when viewing pictures in galleries, they load instantly.

Several months ago, after about a dozen service calls that did not fix the problem, they sent out their #1 tech who brought another guy with him. They tried various things to fix the problem that did not work, finally I overheard the #1 tech tell the other guy that he was going to "remove the block" whatever that means.. and that fixed the problem for months.. until recently. So now I am stuck using my proxy again.

It is not a software issue. I have two HP Laptops.. I will call them A and B. If A and B are both on the normal connection, they are both slow as mud. If I turn the proxy service on A, then the speedtest falls to half the normal speed, but everything goes 10 times faster without locking up. If I turn the proxy service on B, the same thing happens.

Now here is what really bothers me. If I take either laptop to a WIFI spot which uses Brighthouse service such as Publix or McDonalds, the speedtests are very slow, BUT.. the pages load very fast, the chat doesn't lock up, and pictures load quickly.

In other words.. something - probably related to the DNS servers - is blocking me.

So, my Brighthouse service is like having a NASCAR race car.. with the engine running at full speed.. with the brakes on!

In other words.. those speedtests don't mean squat. You can have all the bandwidth in the world, but if the DNS server is dragging it's heels, you might as well use dialup!
CFLTurbo

join:2012-10-10
Altamonte Springs, FL

Re: Massive problems with Brighthouse DNS servers

so the problem goes away when you use different DNS servers ?

have you tried hardcoding the DNS servers on your router or PC

I use google and level3, another option is opendns

Google
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

Level 3
4.2.2.x x=1-6

although people are saying not to use it any more, I have it in the # 3 spot after google

OpenDns

I don't know but google does

Review by telijah See Profile

• Location: Brandon,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Excellent and reliable speeds"
Bad "Price a bit high"
Overall "Very solid service, period!"

I've been a Bright House customer since 2001. Until recently, I always used the basic Internet packages available and service was sometimes mediocre at best, but I never really attempted to contact support for resolving. Since the beginning of 2013 I've gone to the 60/5 plan and now the 90/10 plan. While the price seems a tad on the high side, my connection is extremely reliable and I regularly have speeds testing about 10% higher than my advertised rates (hitting 100mbps down and 11mbps up on a 90/10 plan). Support via the normal methods is sometimes shoddy, but support via their employee here on DSLReports is second to NONE. BHNTechXpert (Gary) is hands down their greatest asset on this forum and is a model for what support personnel know beyond first level.

All in all, I will not be trading my service any time soon. Thanks for the excellent product thus far BHN.

member for 1.7 years, 626 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mep2003

Bright House Echo

telijah
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

Re: Bright House Echo

Why is this a reply to my review rather than in your own review? This has nothing to do with my experience.

Re: Bright House Echo

my mistake i am new to this post, sorry

Review by tim tim tim See Profile

• Location: Land O Lakes,Pasco,FL
Good "Fast service, good service, Fair pricing"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "Great customer service, great product and great reliability"

I have the 150/10 internet connection along with Premier TV, Home Security and Phone and very rarely have any sort of noticeable issues with the service. Usually these issues are fixed with a reboot. Customer service is very good and pricing is fair for the product received

Comments:

sheryl1

@128.177.161.x

service

We have been trying since monday,today is thursday, to get a tech guy out to fix our brand new DVR and fix our broken cable line. Today is January 1 2015. Now most people are home enjoying there holiday. However, bright house reps said someone would be out today between 8 and 12. We confirmed 3 times that this was correct. So we cut our new years plans in half and have been waiting all day on them. After being told they would be here in fifteen mins the told us no one was coming and we were basicly crazy for thinking they were. What gives? Where is the award winning service? We would not even have any problems if they buried the cable line correctly. Instead of 10 to 12 inches deep they only buried it 4 inches deep in a sandy pasture. To allow a company with such crappy service to be a conglomerate should be illegal. To top it all off we have been loyal customers for 16+ years. Not any more. We will be changing providers and telling as many people as possible to do like wise.
tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

Re: service

they aren't supposed to go 10-12 inches deep, they are supposed to go just under the grass line (usually less than 6 inches)

Not sure what to say about the rest, im assuming you havent made a direct forum post so that gary (BHNTECHXPERT) could get your issues taken care of