Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by INSPIRON3847 See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Download speed usually about 34Mbps"
Overall "Over all good service"

Bundled TV, Internet, Digital telephone. I have used this ISP before and then tried AT&T U-verse until they raised my rates.

member for 76 days, 75 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kasten See Profile

• Location: Clermont,Lake,FL
Good "Reliable, tests what is advertised, service"
Bad "Bundled HDTV DVR is somewhat outdated... record compression lacking"
Overall "No contracts, service staff very helpful with tech and package uestions."

·Mediacom
The ISP is new to the business but has done a great job. Installation took 45 minutes for HDTV, VOIP and Web. Hooked to household's 8-port DSL router. Very little degradation when accessing with multiple computers. Company offers to rent a cable modem for $5 a month extra. Not a bad deal considering owning is more expensive and why not let the CO fix the modem when it goes bad. Tested speeds average 34 down and 2.5up. Later purchased 60 down service. Quite secure (not pingable), no spam as of yet. Option to purchase speed up to 90 down.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything please let me know.

Review by twalls See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Faster speeds than advertised"
Bad "I'd trade a higher download speed for a higher upload speed"
Overall "Cable is time-tested and currently still fast enough to be relevant"

I've been a Road Runner user for a long time. It was still Time Warner when my parents signed up for it originally. I've finished high school, college, and have worked for 12 years now in the time that I've used RR. Of course, there have been brief periods where I've tried out Verizon DSL or I used my university's Internet when I lived in a dorm, but I've always come back eventually. Some places have had bad connections which resulted in flaky service, while others have been great and problem-free. I chalk it up to the quality of the cable connection wherever I was at the time, but there have been times where the cable or splitter I was using was junk. This is why I'm feeling rather fortunate to have a reliable connection in the apartment that I'm in now.

I was previously using a Bright House Business connection that was paid for by work. Unfortunately, a free connection also meant 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. FWIW, it was always consistently at those speeds and it rarely slowed down or had problems. I also had a static IP address, which came in handy for a few things at work. My workplace is now switching to paying a stipend to cover part of my Internet connection (I often work remotely on server issues, etc.), so I opted to upgrade to Lightning 90 and pay the difference. I had the Bright House Business connection for several years, so it was news to me that you can now provide your own modem for residential service. I opted to go this route by getting a Motorola SB6141 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless router. Only downside I can think of is no static IP address option if you use your own modem.

I will admit to being jealous of friends who use Verizon FiOS and have a higher upload speed, but I'm still very pleased to almost always see faster speeds than advertised. I was honestly surprised to hear I have a faster download speed than the highest package currently offered by Verizon, but it kind of makes sense. They shift the ratio of the download and upload speed in favor of the upload side. Still, I feel like cable is time-tested for me. It is something I'm familiar with and trust. I know the pros and cons, and it feels the most straightforward. There's no additional equipment like an ONT or battery backup needed aside from the cable coming out of the cable jack. There's no conflict with phones or filters to install, like with DSL. Knowing that DOCSIS 3.0 promises speeds up to over 300 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up, I feel like cable-based Internet will remain relevant to me for the foreseeable future.

The only thing that might change my mind at this point is something like 1 Gbps up/down from Google Fiber. Even then, it'll come down to cost and availability in my area (particularly in apartment complexes).

member for 49 days, 67 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JT

@68.202.80.x

Home Security Service

I needed Home Security Service so I called Bright House, I was given July 13th, today is July 9th, at 14:09. I answered a knock at my door to a BH Service Tech for Insulation, I told the Tech David that I do have an appointment for the 13 of July. He seemed a little annoyed that he was sent out four days early. I ask him what happen to my 13th appointment they xcld it I ask why???? He said call the office AND left.

twalls

join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL

Re: Home Security Service

Sorry you had a bad experience... What does that have to do with my review? You could try requesting assistance in the Bright House Networks Direct forums:

»Bright House Networks Direct

Review by alexkcontact See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Overall "If there is any other ISP choice in your area, go with it."

Quality of service below market standard usually, and absolutely horrific lately with frequent downtimes, interruptions and high latency periods for the last couple of months.
Attached is a snapshot of what my connection looked like for the last 3 months.

Comments:

Berges

@70.127.37.x

The email for bright house has always sucked but now they have been up and down with no service for over 4 days. Their technicians must be complete morons. Don't they understand that some of us do business via email. I highly recommend NOT using their email services

Pinging Google...

And getting responses like this isn't always an indicator of a service issue. If you are serious about having a service concern reach out to me here in our direct »Bright House Networks Direct forums and I will take a look.

twalls

join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL
·Bright House

Contact Tech Support?

It is hard to take reviews like this seriously when you don't talk about any attempts to actually resolve the issue. Could there be an issue with bad cabling/noise interference at your residence, how has tech support tried to remedy the situation, etc.? Showing a screenshot of you pinging something and occasionally not getting a response also leaves so many questions unanswered that it does little to add to the review. Is the other end of the connection having problems, is there any customer-owned equipment involved (like a separate wireless router) that might be having problems, etc.?

I've had bad experiences in the past as well, with all of the big names in the area. Most of the time, it is caused by problems with signal strength or the wiring at where I was living at the time. That said, I call support and get it fixed. The real question is what kind of support do you get in resolving the issue. That's what sets one ISP apart from the other. One place has local support and sends someone in a reasonably short amount of time. The other requires three calls to India and me having to unplug the modem before someone will finally come out. I know who I'm sticking with...

fred1963

@108.9.197.x

Goodbye brighthouse

I dropped brighthouse after i upgraded my cable speeds. I was having multiple issues, no connection. I had my computer hooked up via Ethernet cable and when i would call they were always asking about wifi. I explained it is not hooked up to wifi but the tech couldn't understand that. My upstairs RoKu box couldn't receive a signal at all; the router was about eight feet away. They told me it was because of the building construction but I am able to see my neighbors wifi? Finally switch to FIOS; no problems since day one.

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick setup, courteous customer service, solid speed/low latencies"
Bad "Waiting for better upload speeds"
Overall "Bright House offers a solid cable product"

April 2014: Moved into a brand new house in a new neighborhood and ordered FiOS. After 8 months, got tired of Verizon's bill creep and the difficulty of getting customer service to fix internet connectivity issues. Verizon's truck rolls can cost as much as a month's worth of service! Decided to give Bright House a chance on the recommendation of several neighbors. An advantage to having a new neighborhood is having new cabling…the service has been rock solid so far!

Ordered their $99 Digital Cable/30 MB bundle. Took a few calls to the extremely helpful customer service to handle a couple of issues…

1. The WiFi channel used by BHN's router caused issues, but was promptly changed with a single call.

2. Had some initial connection drop issues which were remedied by upgrading the modem's firmware.

Adding HD cable boxes ($8/mo) and another cable outlet ($40) were easy and much less expensive than with Verizon. There is a $1/mo RSN fee, but it is less than Verizon's which is over $2/mo…and I watch the RSNs a lot. I really like BHN's Auto HD and Start Over. The availability of Bay News 9 is nice, along with the ability to watch many channels on all kinds of devices within the range of my house's WiFi signal.

The only complaint I have is the lack of a MoCA networking option built into any of Bright House's modem list options. I had MoCA with FiOS and would love to install a Motorola SBG6782-AC. I grabbed one for my parents who use Comcast and it works very well. ..please get this modem added to your list.

June 2014 Update: Bright House has added some new modems to their list. I was able to use a Motorola SBG6782-AC as my cable modem and it works well! Love having the MoCA networking for desktops in bedrooms and the dual band WiFi is nice. Been pretty happy with the service so far. Any minor issues with TVEverywhere (my account needed some changes to show I subscribed to TV service) were promptly handled by customer support. So far, I'm happy with service.

member for 7.5 years, 1513 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by bertferry See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Steady service, reasonable price for combined services."
Bad "Occasional loss of sync on modem"
Overall "Happy with service."

I ordered standard service with digital cable. The price was about $80.00 per month. I later upgraded to Lightning internet. I ordered in person, and was installed the next day. I have a Cisco cable box and a Motorola wireless modem. Overall, I'm happy with service, even though I rarely hit top advertised speeds. Services were installed by a contractor, whom I was pleased with. No complaints, except the fact that I have to reboot my modem once in a while.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anythning at all by all means please reach out to me. I have also sent you a PM related to something else.

bertferry

join:2012-11-24
Bradenton, FL

Re: Thank you....

Hi Gary, I updated my review. The first time I did it, the ratings scale wasn't there. I am truly happy overall with Brighthouse.

Bert

Re: Thank you....

Good deal thanks Bert. Remember if you need anything reach out to me... I am never far away

Review by w8ufo See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick installation in new build."
Bad "Tidyness of installation/bumpy ride with transition to own modem."
Overall "Solid service so far. Support in forums and good installer made things right."

Total monthly cost is unknown because it's included in our HOA dues. We have 1 HD DVR and Standard (10Mbps up/1MBps down) high speed internet. We've also got all outlets activated in the house.

Order process was great, installer did a neat job outside, but inside installation was less tidy with splitters and modem hanging out of the alarm/comm panel box. Even though we had a router, installer provided a Ubee gateway with wireless and NAT enabled which caused conflicts with media/security devices.

Moved to own modem in hopes of not reconfiguring all my network devices. Account was modified without a call from Support telling me to go ahead and switch modems.

Switched modems but had upstream signal issues. Tech was dispatched, redid the splitters/tidied things up, and all is well so far. Back end issues include modem time sync and some config parameter issues, but they aren't affecting service, so not a big deal.

Second installer and help from Brightouse Networks Direct forum here were fantastic and made the difference....however the service reliability was short lived.

Today (9/11) I had them bring me a Brighthouse Networks modem, and we'll see if that improves reliability.

Comments:

Review by telijah See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Excellent and reliable speeds"
Bad "Price a bit high"
Overall "Very solid service, period!"

I've been a Bright House customer since 2001. Until recently, I always used the basic Internet packages available and service was sometimes mediocre at best, but I never really attempted to contact support for resolving. Since the beginning of 2013 I've gone to the 60/5 plan and now the 90/10 plan. While the price seems a tad on the high side, my connection is extremely reliable and I regularly have speeds testing about 10% higher than my advertised rates (hitting 100mbps down and 11mbps up on a 90/10 plan). Support via the normal methods is sometimes shoddy, but support via their employee here on DSLReports is second to NONE. BHNTechXpert (Gary) is hands down their greatest asset on this forum and is a model for what support personnel know beyond first level.

All in all, I will not be trading my service any time soon. Thanks for the excellent product thus far BHN.

Comments:

Review by jhermit See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
Good "Pretty good consistent service"
Bad "If there is any service issue and you have your own modem, good luck"
Overall "Pretty happy with them with good steady service"

I have the Lighting 30 which provides 30 MBps down and 2 up. Speed tests show that I usually get that. I supply my own SB6141 which means I get next to nothing support (you have a good signal is about it.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Network experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me.

Review by TOhawk See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "?"
Bad "nickel and dime you, Recently have to pay $2 more for cheap modem"
Overall "Lack of options, ok service."

Overall ok service. I wish i had more competition in the Orlando, FL area.
Today the internet service is intermittent. Ultra Slow. Feels like 14.4k modem times....
If I had homework due today, would be in deep trouble....
Recently Brighthouse started charging $2 more monthly for a cheap modem fee.
Bad move!!
Waiting for good competition to show up in the area.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

There should be no reason why your speeds aren't up to your expectations. Please reach out to me either in our direct forums or email at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I'll be in touch with you.