Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick setup, courteous customer service, solid speed/low latencies"
Bad "Limited list of allowed customer-owned modems, no integrated MoCA networking"
Overall "Bright House offers a solid cable product"

April 2014: Moved into a brand new house in a new neighborhood and ordered FiOS. After 8 months, got tired of Verizon's bill creep and the difficulty of getting customer service to fix internet connectivity issues. Verizon's truck rolls can cost as much as a month's worth of service! Decided to give Bright House a chance on the recommendation of several neighbors. An advantage to having a new neighborhood is having new cabling…the service has been rock solid so far!

Ordered their $99 Digital Cable/30 MB bundle. Took a few calls to the extremely helpful customer service to handle a couple of issues…

1. The WiFi channel used by BHN's router caused issues, but was promptly changed with a single call.

2. Had some initial connection drop issues which were remedied by upgrading the modem's firmware.

Adding HD cable boxes ($8/mo) and another cable outlet ($40) were easy and much less expensive than with Verizon. There is a $1/mo RSN fee, but it is less than Verizon's which is over $2/mo…and I watch the RSNs a lot. I really like BHN's Auto HD and Start Over. The availability of Bay News 9 is nice, along with the ability to watch many channels on all kinds of devices within the range of my house's WiFi signal.

The only complaint I have is the lack of a MoCA networking option built into any of Bright House's modem list options. I had MoCA with FiOS and would love to install a Motorola SBG6782-AC. I grabbed one for my parents who use Comcast and it works very well. ..please get this modem added to your list.

member for 7.2 years, 1428 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by gigahurtz See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Consistent connection, good quality phone service, excellent customer service."
Bad "Bundle prices a bit high, equipment technology not as good as satellite."
Overall "Overall great company, excellent customer service, adding features/services all the time."

++UPDATE: 4/11/14

PROS-
Excellent customer service.
One company for many services.
Consistent internet connection.
Great phone reliability.
HD guide
Whole house DVR service works well

CONS-
Equipment always seems a bit behind, would love to see more tuners.
Pricing is more than I would like to be paying (limited competition in my area).

It's been over seven years since I updated my review of Brighthouse. Over the past seven years I switched away for a period of time to DirecTV. I ended up back to the triple play bundle and I am pleased. The quality of my service is better than the rest. I'd love to see some more flexibility in pricing and would also love to see the higher speed packages a bit cheaper (currently on Lightning 30). Overall, I am very pleased with Brighthouse Networks and would highly recommend to anyone looking for their services. They aren't perfect, but they work hard to try and be.

++UPDATE: 2/25/07

I recently made the switch back to POTS (Bellsouth/AT&T) due to many call quality/reliability issues with my Brighthouse line. I had them come out a few times but it seems to be a problem in the area (too many customers in a short period of time). I spoke with several people who have their service and they were frustrated as well.

Problems I had:

1. Sometimes didn't get a dial tone when picking up my phone.
2. People didn't hear me but I heard them.
3. Not as reliable as Brighthouse claims.
4. Echo

I won't be switching back as i'm happy with Bellsouth. I was able to get a great deal since i'm switching from Brighthouse.

++UPDATE: 5/5/06

Just recently, Brighthouse unveiled a "Unlimited Florida" plan which gave you unlimited calls to anywhere in Florida (instead of the entire US). This works perfectly for me and it's only $28.99 a month. I use my cell phone for long distance calls so I didn't need it on the phone. It dropped my bill from $39.99 to $28.99. Service has continued to be flawless and I am slowly converting family to Digital Phone. I was a VoicePulse customer and it doesn't even compare (VP was good but Digital Phone is great).

If it's available, get it!

-----------------

I decided to make the switch from VoicePulse to Brighthouse Digital Phone and couldn't be happier. My main problem with VoicePulse was 1) E-911 was non-existent in my area (and they didn't know when it would be available) and 2) I was having serious call quality issues with 50% of my upload being used (QoS enabled, ports forwarded, etc).

My Brighthouse Digital Phone has been excellent quality and very reliable. I have had no problems what so ever, installation was a snap and porting was very quick. I couldn't ask for a better overall experience activating my service.

I would recommend Brighthouse to anyone who is in the market for a good, reliable VoIP. As a primary phone line, you just can't go with the little guys.

member for 12.5 years, 4417 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience Gigahurtz. As always if you need anything let me know.

Review by jwt0001 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "Great speeds and good technical support"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Gives me the Internet I want!"

I started with the 50 MB plan, but moved up to 90 MB as soon as it was offered. I was very happy with the speed change and find the service definitely worth the money. My only small complaint relates to the cable side. Since the DVR only allows 2 streams, recording has been a challenge, particularly with two people in the house.

I definitely will stay with Bright House, as long as they are an option for me!

member for 21 days, 10 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by elcasey See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Good "Fast, reliable home service"
Bad "Expensive, Awful Support"
Overall "There's no other choice in this area, so it is what it is"

Support in general is 5terrible. Excessive hold times (usually on the order of 30-40 minutes per call), particularly with business class service (I am an IT support tech so I am constantly on the phone with them). Poor reliability at some of our business customers. They never want to admit that anything could be wrong on their end, and it is very difficult to get escalated. I had one of their techs try to tell me he was a CCNP, and in the next breath I had to explain to him what latency was ("Oh, you mean ping times?" Seriously??). Their service causes a lot of problems with VoIP, at least for the Avaya systems we deal with.

As far as my personal service, I have full cable package except for premium channels (HBO, etc) and RR Lightning 90/9. I am testing out at 100/10, however, so I'm very happy with the speed. Not too many reliability issues. I would say I have to restart my modem (which I own - Motorola Surfboard SB6141) about 1-2 times per week.

There are no other cable companies in my area (Brevard County, Florida) and this is pretty obvious when it comes to their support. Overall, I am satisfied. They need to improve their customer service, their hold times, and they need to start rolling out fiber.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you should need anything at all please don't hesitate in letting me know or simply post in our forums.

elcasey

join:2013-06-29
Palm Bay, FL

Re: Thank you....

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Re: Thank you....

said by elcasey:

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Hope so! If you ever need anything please yell out for me....
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Review by paradigmfl See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "Promised speeds received, Choice of speeds, Usually acceptable support"
Bad "Overpriced, some surly or unknowledgeable employees, watch out for extra fees, downhill trend"
Overall "Could be worse. Will probably work for you...for a price."

I have standard Roadrunner internet through Bright House Networks and have had it off and on (at times I had Earthlink with BHN) for a decade. This tier of service promises up to 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds. The current base rate is $54 + there is a $4 modem charge which you can opt out of by buying your own modem. There is also evidently a new $1"paper bill fee charged". Also be aware of the $6 late fee should that apply to you (for many it does).

I have almost always received the speeds I have been promised if not more so. Reliability has been what I would consider excellent as well although there have been a few incidents over the years where it took multiple truck rolls for them to fix the issue. The modem supplied to me was the Motorola SB6141 and this modem has likewise been excellent. I have never had any problems requesting a modem swap.

Installation is usually great although they tend to use independent contractors now. As such it seems the experience can greatly vary as they lose some consistency with the contractors. I know of relatives who have had installers who say did not know to switch a TV to cable mode from TV mode. I have also had relatives who have had installers use their phone number for the WIFI password (this is very insecure). I have also had an acquaintance who had an installer set up their WIFI without any encryption at all approximately 6 years ago. In another case an installer told a relative that there would be an additional charge to get an HD converter when at the time this was not true. Overall though they usually do a good job. I highly suggest learning about what you should be getting and becoming savvy enough to make sure the installer does what they should however. The DSL reports forums are a great place to do this and I advise that you read all you can!

Tech and customer support is mostly acceptable. Over the years I feel it has improved. Again, it tends to vary a bit though. 80% of the time you might say get someone excellent or very good, 15% of the time you might get someone who is OK or a little clueless and then the other 5% you will get someone who is horrible who does not know what they are doing or outright lies just to get you off the phone. I suggest becoming educated as to the services you receive just in case you get a bad apple. If something sounds strange I also suggest not being afraid to politely hang up and get someone else on the phone instead. It should also be mentioned that I have had a very bad experience with one BHN employee who I would consider (no exaggeration) to have been the rudest customer service person I have ever experienced in my entire life. They actually personally insulted me multiple times and did so in public. I'm not sure if I would have took the matter up the corporate ladder it would have been addressed or not but I chose to let it go.

Pricing is a bit overpriced in my opinion. I feel in competitive areas the 10/1 standard service is usually around $30 or $35. BHN charge $54 for this as it's base rate. Also Time Warner typically offers something in between the Road Runner Lite service and the Standard service for customers on a budget who want to be able to stream. BHN to my knowledge does not offer this. In addition I feel that the Lightning packages are a little pricey for what you receive. There is also this troubling trend where BHN has been increasing prices rapidly and adding on various extra fees. The latest one apparently is a $1 charge for wanting a paper billing statement.

Pre-sales information is not the greatest. They appear to hide a good portion of their pricing and it is very difficult to find online. They heavily push the combos and so-called a la carte pricing can be hard to locate. Personally I feel it is wrong for a local cable monopoly to be allowed to leverage bundled servicing to force people to use their other services or pay more but unfortunately the Florida government seems to allow it.

To end on a positive note Bright House to my knowledge does not have any monthly usage caps unlike some other providers. This is a strong plus. Hopefully this does not go away.

member for 8.7 years, 231 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Noah Vail See Profile

• Location: Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "Very Reliable - Good on-call techs - Over 100% of advertised speeds"
Bad "Biz service expensive"
Overall "BH is an excellent company and better than most ISPs."

After 10 happy years, this is my final review for Bright House Internet.
(even though I still offer BH as an option to my Biz customers)

If you live in the Tampa/Orlando area, here's why Bright House could be a GOOD choice for you.

1) Service is highly reliable, in the short and long term.
I monitor internet+log internet quality and know when service is sub-par.
Aside from very infrequent maintenance windows (~20min, usually @ 3AM), service is consistently ~100% quality.

2) Performance is good, especially for a cable provider.
I host mail, remote desktop, VPN and Minecraft servers on BH. My pings between my local and public gateways avg a bit under 10ms.
I consistently get over 100% of advertised speed

3) Bright House doesn't cap, throttle or limit traffic.
I've never had ports limited, including any SMTP.
I've never had bandwidth throttled, including bittorrent.

Bright House has no caps, period. My usage has surpassed 1.2TB/month.

4) Good BH technicians. They tend to show up on time.
I've noticed that BH is outsourcing service calls to a 3rd party. Those techs are OK at what they do.
However genuine BH techs are much more adept at solving technical issues.

5) No contracts required for residential service.
Oh yea.

6) Bright House is an ethical company, a compliment I rarely offer.
Unlike most ISPs, BH doesn't have a history of rampant anti-consumerism.
Also - the few times my local BH office wasn't up to par, an advocate at the BH HQ (Syracuse) stepped in and immediately resolved my issues.

7) Geeky stuff:
BH supports IPv6
Upload rates went from 2Mb to 10Mb over the last few years.
BH works with whatever router I want to use and allows their modem to operate as a "dumb modem".
I can switch my dynamic public IP w/o having to call BH to break my DHCP lease.

So - with so many good points, why am I switching my home from Bright House?
Cost.
"Big Red Evil" will give my 35/up for $70/mo (for 1 yr, $90/mo for 2nd year).
Contrary to ISP talking points, I really need outbound.

- Here's where else Bright House could use some improvement.

1) Biz Class service is expensive, can be difficult to price and is even more expensive if you refuse 3 year contracts.

Biz Service is expensive compared to similar residential tiers.
It's also expensive compared to similar (or faster) tiers by the competition.

After years of refusing to do so, BH is finally posting some Biz class pricing on the web.
It's incomplete though and you may still be forced to spend valuable time with the sometimes confused sales team.

When I say Biz class pricing is expensive, I mean with a 3 (!) year contract.
If you want to forgo the contract, the cost difference alone is nearly enough to pay for service from a competitor.

Caveat:
I have Biz customers where the only competition to Bright House is DSL on bad copper or a T1.
In those cases we gladly pay BH Biz pricing and are grateful BH is there for us.

2) Not sure if this is still a problem but:
Time between activation of my BH residential phone and a slew of solicitors calling me (BY MY NAME) on that line = 1 day.

I got a BH phone for free w/ my residential internet package.
The dozens of daily spam calls made it unusable as an incoming line. Instead, I pay for VoIP service that never distributed my phone number to any marketing-connected biz.

I think that's it for the negative column.

Considering the good+bad together, Bright House ranks very well.
Of the the 10 largest cable providers in the US, Bright House is easily the best.

member for 9.3 years, 2807 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fa

@wayport.net

Bad Policy from Bh.

mad:The customer service is very arrogant,I can beleive that as they think they are the fastest service they have the bad policy that if somebody live with u in same address and move out u can't require the service under same address, That's nonsense!.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
·Bright House

Re: Bad Policy from Bh.

That's not just a Brighthouse issue. Lots of utilities (including ISPs) are like that.
However, I agree it's bad policy.

Which market are you in? Have you tried to escalate the issue?
Sometimes all it takes is hanging up on bad reps, until you reach someone who's willing to help you.

NV
Adopting other people's animosity is The New Stupid.

Review by airwingjim See Profile

• Location: Clearwater,Pinellas,FL
Good "Very happy (Best deal in Clearwater) 100Mbps/10Mbps Best deal that's available to me at this location."
Overall "If you have $40. extra p/mo. bump up to the 100/10, it is worth it."

(Best deal in Clearwater) $105.00 per/mo. - No Contract. Bright House RoadRunner top tier available. Completely happy with my company. I run my desk top and 2 lap tops. Movies are downloaded in 2 to 10 seconds. Gaming is wonderful. It's expensive but for a retired old fart that spends several hours a day online, it's worth it.

Several more hours are spent watching movies on Netflix, Amazon, etc. (Never a slow down even with laptops in use.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me via our forums.

Review by ebenezer See Profile

• Location: Hudson,Pasco,FL
Good "Solid Connection - Above Advertised Speeds"
Bad "Too Expensive - Equipment Fee Increase"
Overall "Great Broadband Connection"

Consistently get 70 Mbps down and close to 6 Mbps up. These speeds are somewhat higher than what they advertise. Was able to get the user name and password for my cable modem via tech support after a somewhat comprehensive and lengthy identification process (this is a GOOD thing). Compared to a year ago, the phone support seems to be better than what it once was. Support personnel are either better trained or BHN did some house cleaning.

member for 1 year, 11 visits, last login: 59 days ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent Bright House experience!

If you need anything please let me know...

ebenezer

join:2013-03-14
Hudson, FL

Re: Thank you for reviewing your recent Bright House experience!

Review by azvarych See Profile

• Location: Debary,Volusia,FL
Good "Our neighborhood has relatively few broadband users, the node is not heavily loaded, so our speeds are good. Very reliable."
Bad "A bit more expensive than I'd like to be paying; could get Verizon wireless for about $20/mo less, but subject to caps."
Overall "Fairly content with BHN. Waiting for more serious competition (I don't consider DSL as being competitive)."

BHN offers a bundled cable/phone/Internet service for new subscribers. The price I listed is approximately for the Internet service. My total monthly bill is about $160/month for Digital cable (with no special channels) and Internet. Historically, BHN hasn't liked to negotiate down with existing customers. I will say that the BHN customer service is good for issues that may occur within a house or business. Consistent bandwidth availability has been good in my area.

If a business or residence has a VoIP phone service with a history of dropped packets (choppy audio on the inbound or outbound side), or even dropped calls, BHN is very reluctant to send out their network specialists to ensure their outside cable plant is intact. They will always assume the problems are in-home or at the business. Took me 4 calls with 4 BHN trucks at my house the last time for BHN to convince itself that what I was saying was true - that the VoIP issues I was having was not related to wiring issues in my home/home office, but out on the BHN network. If you have BHN as an ISP but use someone else for VoIP (such as Vonage), there will be a lot of finger pointing if you have dropped packets or dropped calls. This can be time consuming and quite frustrating (the reason for four different calls and finally getting the BHN armada at the house for team consensus). Getting BHN to provide the 3P services (TV/Internet/Voice) puts the onus on BHN to get it right, but unfortunately the user might need to switch to BHN for all the services to force the issue.

Bottom line, Bright House Networks in my area (Debary FL) has fairly good customer service, its cable plant here in my area has been recently inspected and maintained (after many phone calls and being home for the tech visits), so my results are OK. I will be working on negotiating a better contract with BHN, as paying $160/month for 20MB/sec Internet and digital cable (no HBO, CINEMAX, ShowTime, sports plans, etc.) is too pricy (I don't have a home VoIP or land line). Still - the unlimited usage and good attentive customer service is tough to beat.

As far as the "Fair Warning" goes, that I just signed up, yes that is true, but I'm also here to stay, and my testimony in this post is true regardless of how long I've been a member.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent BHN experience. In answer to your middle paragraph about reluctance to send techs for this, that or the other thing I beg to differ. We have the capability to diagnose most everything that could possibly impact your VOIP service and absent detecting an issue that's impactful on our network it would be pointless to send a tech. If any issue was detected we freely dispatch techs at your convenience. That said you also have plenty of resources available to you in our forums here. I must note you have never engaged me for support on your VOIP or any other issue for that matter so going forward I invite you to do so....

Gary...

azvarych

join:2014-02-10
USA
·Bright House

Re: Thank you...

Thanks for the comment. The VoIP issues occured about three years ago at my home office. As I mentioned, when BHN finally sent the OSP specialist out, he found and corrected cable plant issues. VoIP was as rock-solid as could be expected after his fixes. Even though I attempted to convince the BHN customer support persons through several calls that the problem wasn't inside my home/home office, it wasn't until I escalated that BHN sent the right person out to diagnose and fix the problem. (I did all the house data wiring myself, having been a network engineer with BICSI/RCDD training and experience, and having Telcordia grounding/bonding certification).

We have since closed our home office and moved completely to cellular. If you are offering help on VoIP issues, though, I will reach out to you as we have VoIP issues here in Winter Springs at our office, with BHN being our ISP.

By the way, I'm not attempting to slam BHN. If you look at my ratings, you'll find I rated BHN relatively high. I know VoIP service is very demanding, not from a bandwidth perspective, but from a prioritization standpoint. I was just sharing my real world experiences. Thanks for your reply.

Re: Thank you...

Totally understood....going forward you have me a resource....please feel free to tap me anytime.

Review by lily See Profile

• Location: Satellite Beach,Brevard,FL
Good "good equipment, good wiring, good..no, excellent high level techs"
Bad "customer service in office/phone tends to be polite but not really proficient"
Overall "Good service, but you have to be persistent"

I got the call 'do you want to upgrade'; and usually I just don't even think about it - I say no to all telephone inquiries. But this guy offered a free month, free install, and said I can keep the equipment if I'm not happy. So, I say yes.

The installer comes, installs, but leaves with things not really working - phone is up and down and internet is more intermittent than ever. He was not able to answer any technical questions about the installation which was a bit worrisome, but I figured as long as it worked...only it didn't. I also found he had left the battery out of the device.

I call support, and they are very polite - second tech comes, he leaves, its worse. Internet is down to 5 mpbs (paying for 60), and no amount of tweaking solves this problem. I try to go up the chain of tech support, and get phone calls not returned, techs that don't show up, and then I find the dsl forum, here.

Today, after one visit from the tech, the problem is solved. FAST AND RELIABLE DOWNLOAD AND UPLOAD. I'm very happy. A lead tech was sent out and he was simply stellar. Five stars all the way. I could not be more pleased. I am delighted with BrightHouse, and their online direct forum.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!