Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Good "Extremely reliable service and great picture quality"
Bad "Front-line order specialist botched the order"
Overall "Great value for the money"

·Frontier Communi..
·Charter
We just moved from Minnesota, to Florida, and I know BHN was the local cable provider. We had looked to see if U-Verse was available in our new neighborhood, and it was not. Because we did mail forwarding electronically with USPS, they sent us a coupon for BHN that gave us free-install and 1 month of free service. Not a bad deal! I called the week before we were supposed to move in to get everything setup. The order specialist gave me the bundles that were applicable for the 1 month of free service, and it was the Premier DTV service and Lightning 30 Internet. I told him that I have 3 HDTVs that need service. We did 1 TV with the 2-tuner DVR and 2 of the DTV adapter boxes since I didn't need any enhanced features on the other 2. I also mentioned I will be using my own modem (Motorola SB6121) and they setup the order.

I get a call a week early that they are confirming my appointment for the next day, and that was 7 days early. I called the number back that was left on my voicemail, and it was the number for the Tampa area, and not central Florida. They transferred me to the other number (frustrating when I was on hold to speak to someone), and I spoke to an extremely friendly representative who was able to get everything straightened out for me, and was very apologetic for the problem.

We get down to Florida with the moving truck and the tech shows up right on time, and installs all the boxes and my cable modem for me. He was extremely friendly and professional, and was able to answer all my questions.

I got my first bill and noticed I was getting charged for a rental modem, even after my own modem was provisioned. I also noticed I was only getting 20Mb down and 2.5Mb up. I called support to find out why these 2 things were happening. I got to a representative fairly quickly and stated my concerns. He found that my modem was indeed provisioned for only 20Mb service, and made the change to get me 30Mb as that is what I was billed for. They credited my account with the full amount of the rental fee, as well as the days that I was only getting 20Mb service so I wasn't being overbilled. I've never had a cable company successfully accomplish that for me before.

I've done speed tests all throughout the day and night during peak usage periods and have always gotten consistent speeds, and the speeds that I'm provisioned for. The picture quality of the HD feeds on BHN are excellent. The NBC and ESPN feeds look fantastic, as I didn't notice macro-blocking like what I've seen on other carriers.

I've dealt with a lot of cable companies and telcos, and BHN by far has the best customer service of any of them. I will continue to do business with them for the foreseeable future.

member for 164 days, 59 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kasten See Profile

• Location: Clermont,Lake,FL
Good "Reliable, tests what is advertised, service"
Bad "Bundled HDTV DVR is somewhat outdated... record compression lacking"
Overall "No contracts, service staff very helpful with tech and package uestions."

The ISP is new to the business but has done a great job. Installation took 45 minutes for HDTV, VOIP and Web. Hooked to household's 8-port DSL router. Very little degradation when accessing with multiple computers. Company offers to rent a cable modem for $5 a month extra. Not a bad deal considering owning is more expensive and why not let the CO fix the modem when it goes bad. Tested speeds average 34 down and 2.5up. Later purchased 60 down service. Descent security package offered, no spam as of yet. Option to purchase speed up to 90 down.

We have had one outage in the last 14 months. About 4 hours due to weather.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything please let me know.

Review by twalls See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Faster speeds than advertised"
Bad "I'd trade a higher download speed for a higher upload speed"
Overall "Cable is time-tested and currently still fast enough to be relevant"

I've been a Road Runner user for a long time. It was still Time Warner when my parents signed up for it originally. I've finished high school, college, and have worked for 12 years now in the time that I've used RR. Of course, there have been brief periods where I've tried out Verizon DSL or I used my university's Internet when I lived in a dorm, but I've always come back eventually. Some places have had bad connections which resulted in flaky service, while others have been great and problem-free. I chalk it up to the quality of the cable connection wherever I was at the time, but there have been times where the cable or splitter I was using was junk. This is why I'm feeling rather fortunate to have a reliable connection in the apartment that I'm in now.

I was previously using a Bright House Business connection that was paid for by work. Unfortunately, a free connection also meant 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. FWIW, it was always consistently at those speeds and it rarely slowed down or had problems. I also had a static IP address, which came in handy for a few things at work. My workplace is now switching to paying a stipend to cover part of my Internet connection (I often work remotely on server issues, etc.), so I opted to upgrade to Lightning 90 and pay the difference. I had the Bright House Business connection for several years, so it was news to me that you can now provide your own modem for residential service. I opted to go this route by getting a Motorola SB6141 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless router. Only downside I can think of is no static IP address option if you use your own modem.

I will admit to being jealous of friends who use Verizon FiOS and have a higher upload speed, but I'm still very pleased to almost always see faster speeds than advertised. I was honestly surprised to hear I have a faster download speed than the highest package currently offered by Verizon (at least in my area), but it kind of makes sense. They shift the ratio of the download and upload speed in favor of the upload side. Still, I feel like cable is time-tested for me. It is something I'm familiar with and trust. I know the pros and cons, and it feels the most straightforward. There's no additional equipment like an ONT or battery backup needed aside from the cable coming out of the cable jack. There's no conflict with phones or filters to install, like with DSL. Knowing that my DOCSIS 3.0 modem promises speeds up to over 300 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up, I feel like cable-based Internet will remain relevant to me for the foreseeable future.

The only thing that might change my mind at this point is something like 1 Gbps up/down from Google Fiber. Even then, it'll come down to cost and availability in my area (particularly in apartment complexes).

Note: The price includes a combo for TV and Internet (Lightning 90). I also have HBO ($14 for first three months, $19 after that), a CableCARD ($2.95 a month), and a tuning adapter (FREE!). I use a TiVo and my own modem, so I don't lease the DVR or modem. To be fair, I included the $40 that goes to Bright House in my apartment's rent.

member for 103 days, 137 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JT

@68.202.80.x

Home Security Service

I needed Home Security Service so I called Bright House, I was given July 13th, today is July 9th, at 14:09. I answered a knock at my door to a BH Service Tech for Insulation, I told the Tech David that I do have an appointment for the 13 of July. He seemed a little annoyed that he was sent out four days early. I ask him what happen to my 13th appointment they xcld it I ask why???? He said call the office AND left.

Re: Home Security Service

Sorry you had a bad experience... What does that have to do with my review? You could try requesting assistance in the Bright House Networks Direct forums:

»Bright House Networks Direct

Review by genebopp See Profile

• Location: Winter Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "There is none. They make comcast look good."
Bad "The have come to my house 18 times in 3 years."
Overall "They cant make the equipment work"

Bright house is the worst utility that i have ever had. The service is flakey, customers service takes for ever. Each time they come to my house the tech says "not my job" and has to send a different guy. They use contractors for everything and the real BH guy only show up for trouble shooting, but performs no work. So next week you get to wait for a different guy. The most common thing that happens is the contractor claims you weren't home so he left. They have said that twice while I was standing in the drive way cleaning my car.... TWICE. The phone people are full of promises but they cant make their stuff work. If there is any alternative in your area take that!!!

Comments:

twalls

·Bright House

1 recommendation

Direct Forums

I've had a couple of bad techs as well. If you still have specific issues that need fixing, I'd advise you let BHNtechXpert know on the direct forums here:

»Bright House Networks Direct

These are private forums for Bright House customers to sort out issues, so posting customer info, etc. is safe there. Gary is an employee of Bright House and not a contractor through a third-party. He's helped me with several issues, and I've been happy with Bright House as a result. I will admit that I prefer to use my own equipment, so I probably avoid some of the issues you're running into. While they should be able to make their equipment work, I find being able to use my own stuff and not pay the monthly fees one of the benefits of having BHN. Best of luck to you!

Review by Michael_D See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Reliable and fast service"
Bad "Overpriced, poor "
Overall "No other choices for cable, but the service isn't bad."

As with many customers, I was surprised when my rates increased due to an expiring promotion with no notification. Supposedly they were on the paper/PDF bills but those aren't e-mailed to customers, and if you do AutoPay you never see them unless you proactively log in to their web site to check.

Once the rental fees increased on the provided (very old) cable modem, I sent it back and purchased my own Motorola Surfboard SB6141. My speeds immediately increased 5-10 Mbps with the new modem, without having any service changed.

Some time later, while moving, I switched to Lightning service since I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that was on their supported modem list (a plus for providing the list). However, they still insisted a (contractor) technician come out to do the setup. The technician seemed unskilled and in fact did not set things up correctly. I had to work through support (via this site!) to get the setup fixed when slow download speeds were the symptom.

I currently pay $54/month for standard Internet service (up from $52 when I first wrote this review) and $50/month extra for Lightning 90 Mbps service. Brighthouse still can't quite compete on speed with the other cable franchise in different areas of the city (Comcast) can get speeds at 105 Mbps, for the same price. It's unfortunate that the structure of broadband providers make Internet service so expensive and so slow in the United States, compared to the rest of the world. If I were living in Paris, I'd have a 100 Mbps fiber connection and pay US $35 per month. But that's not wholly the responsibility of Bright House, but the stagnant innovation in the space for the US.

I do not subscribe to any packages or promotions. Very disappointed that pricing is not provided on their web site, and the Indianapolis market does not allow online ordering apparently. Everything must be done the old fashioned way via telephone.

Overall, the Internet service itself is fast and reliable, but the company can be very archaic in many ways, stuck in the last century.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thanks...

Michael please email me a copy of your statement showing the incorrect contact information that you referenced in your review and I will get it taken care of.

Review by ScottHilt See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Fast, Reliable, Great Customer Service"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "The fastest, most reliable ISP I've ever had."

·AT&T DSL Service
I loved BHN as an ISP. Quite simply I got what I ordered and that's all I ask for. Not to mention BHN has world class customer service. I can't wait to move back into a Bright House. Where I live now, BHN is not available and it's just killing me. My lease can not end soon enough. On a side note. I'm glad I lease a home in this area before I bought again because now I know I can't have Bright House. So I'm moving back 'up the road'. Anyways... If Bright House is offered at your address; GET IT!!! You'll be glad you did.

Note: The price listed reflects a combo package price that included HD Digital Cable with Whole House DVR service.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me in our forums.

Review by INSPIRON3847 See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Download speed usually about 34Mbps"
Overall "Over all good service"

Bundled TV, Internet, Digital telephone. I have used this ISP before and then tried AT&T U-verse until they raised my rates.

member for 130 days, 108 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by alexkcontact See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Overall "If there is any other ISP choice in your area, go with it."

Quality of service below market standard usually, and absolutely horrific lately with frequent downtimes, interruptions and high latency periods for the last couple of months.
Attached is a snapshot of what my connection looked like for the last 3 months.

Comments:

Berges

@70.127.37.x

The email for bright house has always sucked but now they have been up and down with no service for over 4 days. Their technicians must be complete morons. Don't they understand that some of us do business via email. I highly recommend NOT using their email services

Pinging Google...

And getting responses like this isn't always an indicator of a service issue. If you are serious about having a service concern reach out to me here in our direct »Bright House Networks Direct forums and I will take a look.

·Bright House

Contact Tech Support?

It is hard to take reviews like this seriously when you don't talk about any attempts to actually resolve the issue. Could there be an issue with bad cabling/noise interference at your residence, how has tech support tried to remedy the situation, etc.? Showing a screenshot of you pinging something and occasionally not getting a response also leaves so many questions unanswered that it does little to add to the review. Is the other end of the connection having problems, is there any customer-owned equipment involved (like a separate wireless router) that might be having problems, etc.?

I've had bad experiences in the past as well, with all of the big names in the area. Most of the time, it is caused by problems with signal strength or the wiring at where I was living at the time. That said, I call support and get it fixed. The real question is what kind of support do you get in resolving the issue. That's what sets one ISP apart from the other. One place has local support and sends someone in a reasonably short amount of time. The other requires three calls to India and me having to unplug the modem before someone will finally come out. I know who I'm sticking with...

fred1963

@108.9.197.x

Goodbye brighthouse

I dropped brighthouse after i upgraded my cable speeds. I was having multiple issues, no connection. I had my computer hooked up via Ethernet cable and when i would call they were always asking about wifi. I explained it is not hooked up to wifi but the tech couldn't understand that. My upstairs RoKu box couldn't receive a signal at all; the router was about eight feet away. They told me it was because of the building construction but I am able to see my neighbors wifi? Finally switch to FIOS; no problems since day one.

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick setup, courteous customer service, solid speed/low latencies"
Bad "Waiting for better upload speeds"
Overall "Bright House offers a solid cable product"

April 2014: Moved into a brand new house in a new neighborhood and ordered FiOS. After 8 months, got tired of Verizon's bill creep and the difficulty of getting customer service to fix internet connectivity issues. Verizon's truck rolls can cost as much as a month's worth of service! Decided to give Bright House a chance on the recommendation of several neighbors. An advantage to having a new neighborhood is having new cabling…the service has been rock solid so far!

Ordered their $99 Digital Cable/30 MB bundle. Took a few calls to the extremely helpful customer service to handle a couple of issues…

1. The WiFi channel used by BHN's router caused issues, but was promptly changed with a single call.

2. Had some initial connection drop issues which were remedied by upgrading the modem's firmware.

Adding HD cable boxes ($8/mo) and another cable outlet ($40) were easy and much less expensive than with Verizon. There is a $1/mo RSN fee, but it is less than Verizon's which is over $2/mo…and I watch the RSNs a lot. I really like BHN's Auto HD and Start Over. The availability of Bay News 9 is nice, along with the ability to watch many channels on all kinds of devices within the range of my house's WiFi signal.

The only complaint I have is the lack of a MoCA networking option built into any of Bright House's modem list options. I had MoCA with FiOS and would love to install a Motorola SBG6782-AC. I grabbed one for my parents who use Comcast and it works very well. ..please get this modem added to your list.

June 2014 Update: Bright House has added some new modems to their list. I was able to use a Motorola SBG6782-AC as my cable modem and it works well! Love having the MoCA networking for desktops in bedrooms and the dual band WiFi is nice. Been pretty happy with the service so far. Any minor issues with TVEverywhere (my account needed some changes to show I subscribed to TV service) were promptly handled by customer support. So far, I'm happy with service.

member for 7.6 years, 1559 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by bertferry See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Steady service, reasonable price for combined services."
Bad "Occasional loss of sync on modem"
Overall "Happy with service."

I ordered standard service with digital cable. The price was about $80.00 per month. I later upgraded to Lightning internet. I ordered in person, and was installed the next day. I have a Cisco cable box and a Motorola wireless modem. Overall, I'm happy with service, even though I rarely hit top advertised speeds. Services were installed by a contractor, whom I was pleased with. No complaints, except the fact that I have to reboot my modem once in a while.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anythning at all by all means please reach out to me. I have also sent you a PM related to something else.

bertferry

join:2012-11-24
Bradenton, FL

Re: Thank you....

Hi Gary, I updated my review. The first time I did it, the ratings scale wasn't there. I am truly happy overall with Brighthouse.

Bert

Re: Thank you....

Good deal thanks Bert. Remember if you need anything reach out to me... I am never far away