Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by mickeyash See Profile

• Location: Clearwater,Pinellas,FL
Good "Great throughput and transfer rates."
Bad "Spotty packet loss atm."
Overall "Tech coming in a few days, supposed to fix my signal issues."

Service has been good, customer service has been great, just having some issues with signal that are causing lag spikes in games and overall internet traffic.

Comments:

Review by ewtdsl See Profile

• Location: Clermont,Lake,FL
Good "Fast service getting installed. Fast fixing a problem."
Overall "At this point, I am very satisfied with service and product."

I have moved from Northern Virginia (Cox cable) and now live just west of Orlando. My ONLY choice was Bright House. We have telephone, internet and of course TV. No complaints on either phone or internet. Have a problem with tiling on one of the two HD tv's we have. Chatted with service and was told to unplug the TV and the box. The box is a DVR. That has not fixed the problem. I have to return the box and see if that fixes the problem. Will update. Only had the service for about three weeks.

Update: I had unbelievable service getting my tiliing fixed. Replaced the DVR and all is well. I am a very happy customer now.

member for 14.1 years, 3749 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by breddy See Profile

• Location: Altamonte Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "Great customer service, friendly and knowledgeable on-site tech"
Bad "Truck dispatch a complete disaster, 4 delays and still not fully installed"
Overall "Jury still out but installed services look to be high grade"

We ordered internet, phone and whole-house DVR from Bright House in Altamonte Springs, FL. As yet, I have only internet installed so I can't review the DVR setup; I'll try to update if I can.

Day of install, the truck never showed in the time slot (1-3pm). Called and they were very helpful; assured arrival between 4:10 and 4:30. Repeat this three more times and a tech finally came at 9:30PM. I told him I'd be happy with simply getting the internet connection up since the whole-house DVR tends to be a longer install. He agreed and began to set up a Ubee modem. I asked him to set it up in bridge mode which required a call to his tech support line to reprovision something. The tech was friendly and happy to oblige, even though the whole system was kinda odd considering there are instructions on the internet on how to switch a Ubee to bridge mode....

All said and done, the service is up and running and quite fast. Too early (24 hours) to tell reliability but I'm happy thus far. Hopefully the whole-house DVR is as good as the 40x5 internet service!

I'll also mention (again) that their customer service is amazing - I even got a response on Twitter (from @BrightHouseCare) when I griped. He followed up via DM and had intimate knowledge of the issue and ability to speak about it. Very well done Bright House.

Comments:

Review by stevemahfouz See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "speed is what they promise"
Bad "too pricey"
Overall "If you want the fastest possible speed, it's all I can get"

Not much to say, you get about 38 or 39 mbps download and about 4.9 mbps upload, but the price is too high at $80 a month.

Comments:

Review by phattieg See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Performance is consistent, and uptime is great..."
Bad "Slower than what I was use to for the same price when I had Comcast..."
Overall "Beats the DSL packages available in my area in terms of speed and price..."

I've had this service for a few years now, and can say that it is really pretty consistent. The only time I can recall being offline was on the rare occasion that actual network maintenance was being performed, and in those rare occasions it has only occurred after 1am, and clears up before 5am. But it's rare that it ever happens. I've had a service call done for drop replacement, and for some minor packet loss issues, and the techs aren't usually on time with their trouble calls. The other problem was when the drop replacement order was put in, someone put in it was underground, when it was on the pole. The guy who came had no ladder, and didn't have the right coax to attach to the house with either, so it took another day without service to fix that. I also am not too happy with the port blocking that Bright House (and RoadRunner in general) do for web servers on residential service. Not running a busy site, but it seems to auto block port 80 if I get more than a few requests on that port for a few days, and it seems to be an intelligent block, because if I move ports, it identifies that the traffic on that port is http based, and blocks it for a few days automatically. But on another note, I am on the basic tier, and I'm downloading torrents on average at speeds above 10mbps down. Upload is around 1000kbps...

Comments:

Review by jonboy16 See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "quick easy install, very reliable internet"
Bad "phone and tv sevices reliable"
Overall "Greatly Improved Phone Service"

Had DSL from bellsouth/ATT. Mail servers were always down.

Bright House cable has always been very good, except for the period during system rebuild. Analog cable is/was always marginal signal. 0db-+3db at demarc. Add a splitter and things get snowy. I have five outlets, all preinstalled during construction.

I signed up at the Bright House office. They gave me a modem and said to hook it up.

I did and my home network took off immediately. They are delivering rock steady 7000/450 for over a year now. System is never down. Also VOIP phone is excellent. Audio and services flawless.

Support is generally excellent. Any unanswerable questions get immediately kicked up to next tier support and are quickly resolved.

Service is another story. As with all modern companies trying to minimize costs, technician knowledge level varies greatly.

I had a problem with poor signal level resulting in snowy analog pictures, intermittent freezing of my digital service, but little apparent effect on my broadband service. I work in a related field and had the hardest time getting my problem recognized, located and corrected. The problem had been affecting my neighbors as well, but none of them had complained so the techs kept blaming my home wiring. Apparently none of the could read a signal level meter. The problem was an underground cable which had gone south.

Another issue was a discrepancy between the number of outlets that Bright House says I am supposed to have vs. the number of outlets the original installer activated in my home. The last service/installer announced upon arrival that I was only allowed/paying for one outlet. When I pointed out that I am paying for 2 digital boxes plus internet service, he said there MUST be some mistake. I was only being billed for one outlet and inferred that all I could have was ONE outlet. A call to Bright House while he was present corrected the problem.

After all is said and done, my opinion of Bright House remains very good.

Good value for the money.

$140 per month includes 2 digital boxes with remotes, 7mbps road runner and voip phone. Bright House includes some very nice cable tv extras that no satellite provider currently offers such as local news (their own news channel for central florida), weather channel with local insert, local weather radar, and tons of free on-demand services.

Update 3/8/2010

After a full years worth of regular high speed, home phone and digital interactive cable with dvr, I can only say that I am as happy with my provider as I am with my Honda.......it's perfect but a bit more expensive than others. And absolutely worth it.

They just upped us to 10mbps down and 1mbps up. System is NEVER down.

Cable TV has so many local interest info not available anywhere else, and home phone is crystal clear.

Very friendly local service and customer reps. BYE BYE ATT

*********************************************************************************

update: 2/5/2011

After convincing my company to switch to Bright House, they dropped the ball.

Bright House reliability has gone from pretty good to pretty lousy. Outages, both phone and tv are common. Phone service is the worst in reliability. Phone service outages have cost my company money. Unlike ATT, they have no way of re-routing calls over an alternate route if a cable is cut. They had a six hour outage, unheard of at Ma Bell, when a fiber optic cable was damaged west of orlando. This is not acceptable. Surprisingly, Roadrunner service is excellent. However, the value for my dollar has gone down significantly. Probably going back to ATT, as much as it hurts. I guess nothing beats a good old fashioned copper line. It's a real shame that a company could go down so fast.

UPDATE 4/18/11

Vastly improved phone service has now been achieved. Congratulations to Bright House! Now, DON'T SCREW IT UP.

Comments:

Review by botld92z9 See Profile

• Location: Winter Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "Consistently excellent service in home and over the phone. Free service calls when an issue arises (every few years)"
Bad "Some of the call center folks can be quite rude and misinformed"
Overall "I've been with them for years and love the service."

We've had Bright House since before it was Bright House, before it was even Time Warner. Always excellent and consistent service and when there is an issue, which I seem to have a small issue every few years, the technicians in the field are fantastic.

Comments:

Review by wutend See Profile

• Location: Apopka,Orange,FL
Bad "worst"
Overall "The fall of Bright House and why you should consider switching"

Dear readers, recently I have written a review of the bad service of Bright House networks, without realizing there were so many upset costumers. I have taken the mission to expose them for their bad service, but it's already a public matter, too many upset costumers.

That is just a snapshot of the crumbling of this network, investors,pay attention, you need to read the reviews and quickly abandon the doomed BH network before it collapses.

Also more interesting news about the shady practices, i just finished reading an article, where it states that Bright House employees are trained by law enforcement to spy on their costumers.

It is my opinion that instead of playing spies, their company should be training their contractors to do a better job, their service is pathetic, lousy,their contractors clueless, if you let them in your house and they brake something, they will avoid any responsibility.

In conclusion ,if you want an overpriced lousy service,no respect for the costumer, contractors spying in the sanctity of your home, you are one of the victims of bright house networks. We warned you, the way they are conducting business is shameful,abusive and it will not be long before BH networks will file bankruptcy.

On a happier note, t has been a year since I have switched to Century Link, they are honest, efficient and they really are making an effort to take care of their clients, i did have problems, but their people were quick, knowledgeable,and fix my problem in record time , that is all i asked as a client, a reliable service,and honest costumer service.

• Location: Avon,Hendricks,IN
Good "Generally good service and support"
Bad "Jacked prices with no warning, different excuse every time I asked why"
Overall "Really disappointed after being a customer for 14+ years, feel like I am being taken advantage of."

Been a Brighthouse customer (cable/internet/phone) at this address for almost three years. Received this month's bill, which increased $25 with no explanation. When I called customer service on Saturday for an explanation, was told that my "promotional" rate had expired. When I asked how I had been getting a "promotional" rate for nearly three years, the CSR had no explanation, and pretty much told me "too bad."

Called again today with the hope of getting a better explanation. This time I was told that there was a rate increase and that I had been notified about it in previous bills. I went back and looked at my bills through October of 2010, and found no mention of an increase.

I have now tendered a written request for an explanation to Brighthouse along with copying a narrative and copies of the bills to the office of Consumer Affairs with the state Attorney General's office.

(review was emailed from domain mac.com)

Comments:

Review by willzzz See Profile

• Location: Novi,Oakland,MI
Good "A+ Customer Service, Support"
Bad "Downtime"
Overall "Pretty good service for the price paid"

UPDATE: 02/19/2011: They launched wideband (DOCSIS-3.0) here with down-stream bonding and it's AWESOME! I'm on the Turbo package (20Mb down, +10Mb power-boost) and I'm getting 18-19Mb most of the time now with D3 doing congestion relief. Upstream is still QAM16 which I hope changes to QAM64 with 4 upstream bonds soon (which knowing BHN they will probably do that for business customers only...). Anyways thank you BHN for the AWESOME SERVICE! XD

I have the triple play for 2 years so far and it's been excellent. No problems except for minor downtime in the middle of the night but I guess that's maintenance. No other problems except for 2 big outages in which the latest one the WHOLE COUNTY went down for 30 minutes according to their customer service. Dunno what happened. Anyways for the price paid the service is pretty good. I only wish their VoIP/Digital Phone service was cheaper (switching soon, not so good value for money). Except for that it's great. HSI is rock solid except the quoted speed of 7Mbps can drop to 2-4Mbps during heavy volume at night/peak times.

UPDATE: 10/19/2010: The downtime seems to be less and less, I just upgraded to Turbo and got my triple play cost reduced to $99/month (+$15 for Turbo after 6 months, +$10 for first six months). I'm still waiting for Wideband/DOCSIS-3.0 here in the MI market.