Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by w8ufo See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick installation in new build."
Bad "Tidyness of installation/bumpy ride with transition to own modem."
Overall "Solid service so far. Support in forums and good installer made things right."

Total monthly cost is unknown because it's included in our HOA dues. We have 1 HD DVR and Standard (10Mbps up/1MBps down) high speed internet. We've also got all outlets activated in the house.

Order process was great, installer did a neat job outside, but inside installation was less tidy with splitters and modem hanging out of the alarm/comm panel box. Even though we had a router, installer provided a Ubee gateway with wireless and NAT enabled which caused conflicts with media/security devices.

Moved to own modem in hopes of not reconfiguring all my network devices. Account was modified without a call from Support telling me to go ahead and switch modems.

Switched modems but had upstream signal issues. Tech was dispatched, redid the splitters/tidied things up, and all is well so far. Back end issues include modem time sync and some config parameter issues, but they aren't affecting service, so not a big deal.

Second installer and help from Brightouse Networks Direct forum here were fantastic and made the difference....however the service reliability was short lived.

Today (9/11) I had them bring me a Brighthouse Networks modem, and we'll see if that improves reliability.

Comments:

Review by telijah See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Excellent and reliable speeds"
Bad "Price a bit high"
Overall "Very solid service, period!"

I've been a Bright House customer since 2001. Until recently, I always used the basic Internet packages available and service was sometimes mediocre at best, but I never really attempted to contact support for resolving. Since the beginning of 2013 I've gone to the 60/5 plan and now the 90/10 plan. While the price seems a tad on the high side, my connection is extremely reliable and I regularly have speeds testing about 10% higher than my advertised rates (hitting 100mbps down and 11mbps up on a 90/10 plan). Support via the normal methods is sometimes shoddy, but support via their employee here on DSLReports is second to NONE. BHNTechXpert (Gary) is hands down their greatest asset on this forum and is a model for what support personnel know beyond first level.

All in all, I will not be trading my service any time soon. Thanks for the excellent product thus far BHN.

member for 1.4 years, 529 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jhermit See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
Good "Pretty good consistent service"
Bad "If there is any service issue and you have your own modem, good luck"
Overall "Pretty happy with them with good steady service"

I have the Lighting 30 which provides 30 MBps down and 2 up. Speed tests show that I usually get that. I supply my own SB6141 which means I get next to nothing support (you have a good signal is about it.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Network experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me.

Review by TOhawk See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "?"
Bad "nickel and dime you, Recently have to pay $2 more for cheap modem"
Overall "Lack of options, ok service."

Overall ok service. I wish i had more competition in the Orlando, FL area.
Today the internet service is intermittent. Ultra Slow. Feels like 14.4k modem times....
If I had homework due today, would be in deep trouble....
Recently Brighthouse started charging $2 more monthly for a cheap modem fee.
Bad move!!
Waiting for good competition to show up in the area.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

There should be no reason why your speeds aren't up to your expectations. Please reach out to me either in our direct forums or email at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I'll be in touch with you.

Review by gigahurtz See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Consistent connection, good quality phone service, excellent customer service."
Bad "Bundle prices a bit high, equipment technology not as good as satellite."
Overall "Overall great company, excellent customer service, adding features/services all the time."

++UPDATE: 4/11/14

PROS-
Excellent customer service.
One company for many services.
Consistent internet connection.
Great phone reliability.
HD guide
Whole house DVR service works well

CONS-
Equipment always seems a bit behind, would love to see more tuners.
Pricing is more than I would like to be paying (limited competition in my area).

It's been over seven years since I updated my review of Brighthouse. Over the past seven years I switched away for a period of time to DirecTV. I ended up back to the triple play bundle and I am pleased. The quality of my service is better than the rest. I'd love to see some more flexibility in pricing and would also love to see the higher speed packages a bit cheaper (currently on Lightning 30). Overall, I am very pleased with Brighthouse Networks and would highly recommend to anyone looking for their services. They aren't perfect, but they work hard to try and be.

++UPDATE: 2/25/07

I recently made the switch back to POTS (Bellsouth/AT&T) due to many call quality/reliability issues with my Brighthouse line. I had them come out a few times but it seems to be a problem in the area (too many customers in a short period of time). I spoke with several people who have their service and they were frustrated as well.

Problems I had:

1. Sometimes didn't get a dial tone when picking up my phone.
2. People didn't hear me but I heard them.
3. Not as reliable as Brighthouse claims.
4. Echo

I won't be switching back as i'm happy with Bellsouth. I was able to get a great deal since i'm switching from Brighthouse.

++UPDATE: 5/5/06

Just recently, Brighthouse unveiled a "Unlimited Florida" plan which gave you unlimited calls to anywhere in Florida (instead of the entire US). This works perfectly for me and it's only $28.99 a month. I use my cell phone for long distance calls so I didn't need it on the phone. It dropped my bill from $39.99 to $28.99. Service has continued to be flawless and I am slowly converting family to Digital Phone. I was a VoicePulse customer and it doesn't even compare (VP was good but Digital Phone is great).

If it's available, get it!

-----------------

I decided to make the switch from VoicePulse to Brighthouse Digital Phone and couldn't be happier. My main problem with VoicePulse was 1) E-911 was non-existent in my area (and they didn't know when it would be available) and 2) I was having serious call quality issues with 50% of my upload being used (QoS enabled, ports forwarded, etc).

My Brighthouse Digital Phone has been excellent quality and very reliable. I have had no problems what so ever, installation was a snap and porting was very quick. I couldn't ask for a better overall experience activating my service.

I would recommend Brighthouse to anyone who is in the market for a good, reliable VoIP. As a primary phone line, you just can't go with the little guys.

member for 12.9 years, 4663 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience Gigahurtz. As always if you need anything let me know.

Review by jwt0001 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "Great speeds and good technical support"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Gives me the Internet I want!"

I started with the 50 MB plan, but moved up to 90 MB as soon as it was offered. I was very happy with the speed change and find the service definitely worth the money. My only small complaint relates to the cable side. Since the DVR only allows 2 streams, recording has been a challenge, particularly with two people in the house.

I definitely will stay with Bright House, as long as they are an option for me!

member for 187 days, 142 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by elcasey See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Good "Fast, reliable home service"
Bad "Expensive, Awful Support"
Overall "There's no other choice in this area, so it is what it is"

Support in general is 5terrible. Excessive hold times (usually on the order of 30-40 minutes per call), particularly with business class service (I am an IT support tech so I am constantly on the phone with them). Poor reliability at some of our business customers. They never want to admit that anything could be wrong on their end, and it is very difficult to get escalated. I had one of their techs try to tell me he was a CCNP, and in the next breath I had to explain to him what latency was ("Oh, you mean ping times?" Seriously??). Their service causes a lot of problems with VoIP, at least for the Avaya systems we deal with.

As far as my personal service, I have full cable package except for premium channels (HBO, etc) and RR Lightning 90/9. I am testing out at 100/10, however, so I'm very happy with the speed. Not too many reliability issues. I would say I have to restart my modem (which I own - Motorola Surfboard SB6141) about 1-2 times per week.

There are no other cable companies in my area (Brevard County, Florida) and this is pretty obvious when it comes to their support. Overall, I am satisfied. They need to improve their customer service, their hold times, and they need to start rolling out fiber.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you should need anything at all please don't hesitate in letting me know or simply post in our forums.

elcasey

join:2013-06-29
Palm Bay, FL

Re: Thank you....

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Re: Thank you....

said by elcasey:

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Hope so! If you ever need anything please yell out for me....
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Review by paradigmfl See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "Promised speeds received, Choice of speeds, Usually acceptable support"
Bad "Overpriced, some surly or unknowledgeable employees, watch out for extra fees, downhill trend"
Overall "Could be worse. Will probably work for you...for a price."

I have standard Roadrunner internet through Bright House Networks and have had it off and on (at times I had Earthlink with BHN) for a decade. This tier of service promises up to 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds. The current base rate is $54 + there is a $4 modem charge which you can opt out of by buying your own modem. There is also evidently a new $1"paper bill fee charged". Also be aware of the $6 late fee should that apply to you (for many it does).

I have almost always received the speeds I have been promised if not more so. Reliability has been what I would consider excellent as well although there have been a few incidents over the years where it took multiple truck rolls for them to fix the issue. The modem supplied to me was the Motorola SB6141 and this modem has likewise been excellent. I have never had any problems requesting a modem swap.

Installation is usually great although they tend to use independent contractors now. As such it seems the experience can greatly vary as they lose some consistency with the contractors. I know of relatives who have had installers who say did not know to switch a TV to cable mode from TV mode. I have also had relatives who have had installers use their phone number for the WIFI password (this is very insecure). I have also had an acquaintance who had an installer set up their WIFI without any encryption at all approximately 6 years ago. In another case an installer told a relative that there would be an additional charge to get an HD converter when at the time this was not true. Overall though they usually do a good job. I highly suggest learning about what you should be getting and becoming savvy enough to make sure the installer does what they should however. The DSL reports forums are a great place to do this and I advise that you read all you can!

Tech and customer support is mostly acceptable. Over the years I feel it has improved. Again, it tends to vary a bit though. 80% of the time you might say get someone excellent or very good, 15% of the time you might get someone who is OK or a little clueless and then the other 5% you will get someone who is horrible who does not know what they are doing or outright lies just to get you off the phone. I suggest becoming educated as to the services you receive just in case you get a bad apple. If something sounds strange I also suggest not being afraid to politely hang up and get someone else on the phone instead. It should also be mentioned that I have had a very bad experience with one BHN employee who I would consider (no exaggeration) to have been the rudest customer service person I have ever experienced in my entire life. They actually personally insulted me multiple times and did so in public. I'm not sure if I would have took the matter up the corporate ladder it would have been addressed or not but I chose to let it go.

Pricing is a bit overpriced in my opinion. I feel in competitive areas the 10/1 standard service is usually around $30 or $35. BHN charge $54 for this as it's base rate. Also Time Warner typically offers something in between the Road Runner Lite service and the Standard service for customers on a budget who want to be able to stream. BHN to my knowledge does not offer this. In addition I feel that the Lightning packages are a little pricey for what you receive. There is also this troubling trend where BHN has been increasing prices rapidly and adding on various extra fees. The latest one apparently is a $1 charge for wanting a paper billing statement.

Pre-sales information is not the greatest. They appear to hide a good portion of their pricing and it is very difficult to find online. They heavily push the combos and so-called a la carte pricing can be hard to locate. Personally I feel it is wrong for a local cable monopoly to be allowed to leverage bundled servicing to force people to use their other services or pay more but unfortunately the Florida government seems to allow it.

To end on a positive note Bright House to my knowledge does not have any monthly usage caps unlike some other providers. This is a strong plus. Hopefully this does not go away.

Comments:

Review by Noah Vail See Profile

• Location: Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "Very Reliable - Good on-call techs - Over 100% of advertised speeds"
Bad "Biz service expensive"
Overall "BH is an excellent company and better than most ISPs."

After 10 happy years, this is my final review for Bright House Internet.
(even though I still offer BH as an option to my Biz customers)

If you live in the Tampa/Orlando area, here's why Bright House could be a GOOD choice for you.

1) Service is highly reliable, in the short and long term.
I monitor internet+log internet quality and know when service is sub-par.
Aside from very infrequent maintenance windows (~20min, usually @ 3AM), service is consistently ~100% quality.

2) Performance is good, especially for a cable provider.
I host mail, remote desktop, VPN and Minecraft servers on BH. My pings between my local and public gateways avg a bit under 10ms.
I consistently get over 100% of advertised speed

3) Bright House doesn't cap, throttle or limit traffic.
I've never had ports limited, including any SMTP.
I've never had bandwidth throttled, including bittorrent.

Bright House has no caps, period. My usage has surpassed 1.2TB/month.

4) Good BH technicians. They tend to show up on time.
I've noticed that BH is outsourcing service calls to a 3rd party. Those techs are OK at what they do.
However genuine BH techs are much more adept at solving technical issues.

5) No contracts required for residential service.
Oh yea.

6) Bright House is an ethical company, a compliment I rarely offer.
Unlike most ISPs, BH doesn't have a history of rampant anti-consumerism.
Also - the few times my local BH office wasn't up to par, an advocate at the BH HQ (Syracuse) stepped in and immediately resolved my issues.

7) Geeky stuff:
BH supports IPv6
Upload rates went from 2Mb to 10Mb over the last few years.
BH works with whatever router I want to use and allows their modem to operate as a "dumb modem".
I can switch my dynamic public IP w/o having to call BH to break my DHCP lease.

So - with so many good points, why am I switching my home from Bright House?
Cost.
"Big Red Evil" will give my 35/up for $70/mo (for 1 yr, $90/mo for 2nd year).
Contrary to ISP talking points, I really need outbound.

- Here's where else Bright House could use some improvement.

1) Biz Class service is expensive, can be difficult to price and is even more expensive if you refuse 3 year contracts.

Biz Service is expensive compared to similar residential tiers.
It's also expensive compared to similar (or faster) tiers by the competition.

After years of refusing to do so, BH is finally posting some Biz class pricing on the web.
It's incomplete though and you may still be forced to spend valuable time with the sometimes confused sales team.

When I say Biz class pricing is expensive, I mean with a 3 (!) year contract.
If you want to forgo the contract, the cost difference alone is nearly enough to pay for service from a competitor.

Caveat:
I have Biz customers where the only competition to Bright House is DSL on bad copper or a T1.
In those cases we gladly pay BH Biz pricing and are grateful BH is there for us.

2) Not sure if this is still a problem but:
Time between activation of my BH residential phone and a slew of solicitors calling me (BY MY NAME) on that line = 1 day.

I got a BH phone for free w/ my residential internet package.
The dozens of daily spam calls made it unusable as an incoming line. Instead, I pay for VoIP service that never distributed my phone number to any marketing-connected biz.

I think that's it for the negative column.

Considering the good+bad together, Bright House ranks very well.
Of the the 10 largest cable providers in the US, Bright House is easily the best.

member for 9.8 years, 2938 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by airwingjim See Profile

• Location: Clearwater,Pinellas,FL
Good "Very happy (Best deal in Clearwater) 100Mbps/10Mbps Best deal that's available to me at this location."
Overall "If you have $40. extra p/mo. bump up to the 100/10, it is worth it."

(Best deal in Clearwater) $105.00 per/mo. - No Contract. Bright House RoadRunner top tier available. Completely happy with my company. I run my desk top and 2 lap tops. Movies are downloaded in 2 to 10 seconds. Gaming is wonderful. It's expensive but for a retired old fart that spends several hours a day online, it's worth it.

Several more hours are spent watching movies on Netflix, Amazon, etc. (Never a slow down even with laptops in use.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me via our forums.