Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by Trimline See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Fast, few problems"
Bad "Can't think of one... it's better than dial-up!"
Overall "Good deal for the $"

·ObiVoice
·Callcentric
Update 28May2013

I've been a customer now for 13 years with very few issues. I'm on the 15/2 business plan since 2010 and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

I highly recommend them, unless of course, you could get fiber...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Overall, I've had RR for at least 4-5 years now - for so long, I can't remember exactly when it was installed! I ordered it as soon as it was available in Central Florida.

During this period, I've experienced excellent service. Here are but a few incidents over the past few years :

1. Modem fried due to lightening. RR came out the next day and replaced modem.
2. Noticed access slowing. RR came in two days and discovered a "leak" in the underground cable leading to my home. The cable was replaced and back to normal.
3. Another day of slowing. RR came out and discovered ants in the street connector box (we have mean ants here).

Overall, the service has been excellent. RR has consistently provided a level of service I have come to expect. Rarely have I experienced outages.

Although their price point is a bit higher than DSL and other providers, I can't imagine switching services as over the years they have always been consistently excellent.

My speed is 2730/335 down/up on Netgear MR314 wireless network. Since my experience with lightening, I now have *everything* on UPS - my IP address, although dynamic, rarely changes.

Cheers!

April 07 - Updated to Premium for the 10/1 service. Took about 5 minutes to complete. Still quite satisfied with RR service. The still need to bump up the dl/ul speeds - just haven't figured out why any ISP wouldn't want to.

Jan-08
Still with RR, just bumped my service to Business Class for an additional $10.00 per month. Overall, still quite satisfied and doing well. I'm using a DLink 2XR that is a flawless wireless router and well matched. Rarely a glitch here!

September 2010.
Still a happy RR customer, now on the 15/2 Business Class and running fine. I may consider the 50/5 tier depending on the expense and the equipment, but for now, the connection is quite reliable.

member for 10 years, 4232 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fonna

@rr.com

Service call

Great customer service on making a service call...however no one showed

Review by cyberwasp See Profile

• Location: Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "speed"
Bad "poor end user equipment"
Overall "would not recommend"

only thing they need is to purchase new equipment. My phone/modem is 8 years old and when you tap it the phone is full of noise. Brighthouse needs an overhaul from top to bottom.

Had Verizon, extremely poor tech support and follow up

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

I never received this review because it was placed in the wrong section and just moved last night. Where do you stand now? If you need anything please let me know right away.

Review by bakedbean See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Very fast for cable in Florida"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "For the cost and no other option with this speed, go ahead and spend the cash"

Road Runner Lightning 90/10 released in Central Florida. So far no problems

Comments:

Review by unbuckled See Profile

• Location: Kissimmee,Osceola,FL
Good "Pretty reliable service, speeds I like at a price that's affordable"
Bad "Some of the tech guys are a little clueless. Haven't had any issues since I found this site."
Overall "When compared with the only other options I know I have, the speeds and reliability are the best."

I have the lightning 60. My speeds are consistently between 40Mbps and 55Mbps on wireless. Granted I bought a really stable router to be able to get these speeds. I have multiple people running games and streaming movies at the same time and only once in a while is there a lag issue.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House experience. If you need anything please let me know.

Review by Boilermaker See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Price, tech support, good speeds"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "Competitive pricing and support inside and outside of building"

It has been awhile since I got service with Bright House, so I do not recall details about the setup. I do remember that it was fairly painless with some trouble with the modem setup at first. That trouble was due to having static IP's but in the wrong Bright House subnet for it to route correctly. That was fixed long ago, and I was happy.

Over several months, I have been noticing issues with connections (TCP). A connection would drop suddenly in mid stream without a reset (RST) being sent by the modem. That would leave a connection hanging until a timeout was reached. I tried to isolate it within my internal network which has a lot of stuff on it. I typically look at my own setup (or code) before looking at others.

However, I tried as best as I could without luck, so I asked the on-line tech here at DSL Reports to check if my modem was having problems. The modem was showing through SNMP a large number of IP packet discards, which indicated buffer issues according to documentation I could find. He looked into it and found some odd problems that the modem was reporting. That is when he arranged for a tech to come to investigate.

I could go into detail about everything that needed to be done, but I thought it easier to list them and fixes made:

- Line to house had some issues. Previous owner had uninsulated coax in the ground. New line to house was laid. The cable no longer went nearly halfway around the house to be split and double-back half of that distance to come into the house.

- Modem was seeing more issues on the line than were even there. Old Netgear CGD24CPR was replaced with an SMCD3GN.

- Phone modem (MTA) was switch from using an external cable into the house to using an internal one. This was not to fix anything, but I needed to do it.

Results:

- No more mysterious connection drops.

- A download at full speed does not cause large delays for other connections. In other words, someone can go to a web site without having to wait up to a minute for the page to finish loading.

- A large amount of ugly cable on the side of the house will soon be gone when I find time to remove it.

- No charge for the fixes.

Speaking of prices, before I moved into this house, I had assumed it was in Comcast territory, so I had called them for prices. For the services I have (business account, static IP's and phone), I would have had to pay approximately $25 more per month. Also, I heard from a tech that fixes in the house would have cost $100 on the service fee for a business account ($50 for residence).

Comments:

Review by aestivalis See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Internet, TV and Phone conveniently packed"
Bad "none"

Great tech and customer support service... did not have any bad experiences at all, and is willing to ensure a happy customer.

Internet download and upload at it's best.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

t brell

@myvzw.com

cable chanels

I stay at carlton arms..you move in..they tell you the have cable...then you find out. You have like 3 chanels...no AMC., no USA...those are prime chanels...so then you have 20 spanish chanels..

Now to get cable prime chanels close to 100 $ use to have cw44...but now that has been taken off.

Review by alexious2003 See Profile

• Location: Winter Park,Orange,FL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Customer Service, Tech being on time"
Overall "Worthless until we can get another provider"

Have had bright house for 10 years now. While in my apartment service was okay, speeds were slow, and cable was okay. On demand never worked correctly, and the Pay per View was of no use. Moved into house 1 year ago, ordered bright house again for internet and cable. Both installed 1 week apart. 1st tech, would not install a new line and told me to run a splitter off of the line that they would install for the cable box, so that the cable box and internet would run off the same line. 2nd technician came out and was decent. Installed a new drop and the cable and internet seemed fine if not slow on the internet side. We do not use the cable but during football season so I couldn't tell how the cable service itself was. About 2 weeks ago, the cable modem started dropping connections and the cable box started showing channels not available all the time, mostly HD channels. Called into tech support, and after about 30 minutes, tech stated that the cable splitter that bright house gave us had gone bad and needed to be replaced. A quick run out, and replaced the splitter with another that was within spec for the bright house service. This did not resolve the issue, so I called back into the customer care line, and tech support. They could not resolve this over the phone and so I had a service ticket generated for the issue.

The tech was supposed to be out at 10am-12pm. After 1pm, jumped onto the chat function and asked where my tech was as I had not received a phone call. The chat tech stated that he was running late and that he would be here at 1:30pm. Okay, no problem would have liked a phone call but he may have been jammed up. 3pm rolls around and again jump on the chat/tech support line. Asked where the tech was.

This time the chat tech stated that the service tech replaced the splitter and that everything was good...What??? Advised the chat tech that I personally replaced the splitter and that did not resolve the issues and that is why I was having them come out and check the line and why it stopped working. She said that she was sorry and that she would reschedule the tech to come out. Really, after I told you that the tech just put fraudulent notes in the service order.

1. Tech never showed up.

2. Tech stated that he resolved the problem by replacing the splitter.

3. Tech never called to state that he was running late

4. Tech didn't resolve anything

5. Customer care does nothing for you in resolving the issues as they are clueless on the tech side. Tech support can only really tell you what type of signal they are getting from the modem, nothing more.

If I had another option, besides Bitehouse Networks, I would go with them in a heartbeat, even at a higher rate as long as it worked.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. Please take a moment to reach out to me at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and let's discuss and resolved each of your concerns.

MP22

@sbcglobal.net

Rude Customer service rep.

Just got off phone with customer service representative name ED employee ID 57110. Extremely rude and unprofessional Customer service representative, horrible attitude, he made so many rude comments to my wife, she was so upset, I had to get on the on the phone to see what was going on and he started with me too. I started to let him know my issue, he cuts me off by saying "are you going to let me speak". Other of the many things he said and did, was to stay quiet for over 60 seconds ( I was not speaking) at one point when I asked if he was there, he rudely reply, "I have nothing to say". Because of him I decided to switch to another company

Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Rude Customer service rep.

said by MP22 :

Please reach out to me immediately at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I will be in touch.
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Thank you again...

Re: Thank you again...

said by patt2k:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Well you guys lost a customer so easily

Actually we didn't but thanks for commenting anyway.

James,

I want to thank you again for reaching out to me and allowing us to resolve each of your concerns. It has been a pleasure working with you and once again our apologies for the experience that prompted your review in the first place. As we discussed if you need anything at all please feel free to reach out to me.

Take care,

mdell

@myvzw.com

Installation surprises

We ordered an upgrade to our basic cable with the phone, cable and internet package. We had done this once before on a home serviced by another provider. In that case nothing changed except we went to one bill from two and saved some money.
Our recent experience with Bright House did not go so well.
After the installation we had only one phone hooked up to Brighthouse. It was in a back room where the internet signal enters the building. No other rooms had telephone service. The tech said to buy some cordless phones if we wanted to have phones elsewhere in the home. This was the only way it worked, he said. We were also given a new phone number, told to call the alarm company and inform them of the switch to Brighthouse.

We had no idea we would lose our previous phone number and not have phone service in any other rooms. This was unacceptable and later that night we called Bright House and canceled the sale. During that call to Bright House they said they could fix all of those issues. Why did they do it in the first place? I hope we get our money back and they don't continue to bill us.

Re: Installation surprises

said by mdell :

Our recent experience with Bright House did not go so well.

The only way you can bring your own number from another provider is to port it. If you did not make this request at the time of sale you would have been provided a new number. The only way you would lose your previous number in this case is if you terminated service with your previous provider. In the case of a port we take care of the number for you. As for the location of your MTA we can and do build jacks anywhere we possibly can. In some limited situations such as apartments for example we may not be able to do this due to restrictions by the property owner but this is very rare.

How are things going?

Since we last talked and resolved the concerns noted in your review?

Review by jets28cm See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Easy to order, decent browsing speed"
Bad "Download speeds average from .5 to 5Mb/s...even though im paying for 10"
Overall "mixed...."

My download speeds are horrednous...i understand that during peak it might slow down but if im paying for 10Mb/s D/L and I get .5 average on a weekend...why am I paying much. I do have a wireless cisco N router and have about 4 devices connected on it but only one of the devices are dowloading...my connection to the router states 140Mb/s a second but my speedtest bounces around from .5 to 5 in a matter of 3 test run in a row

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. I would like to assist with the concerns you raised in your review. Please reach out to me at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com or here in our direct forums at »Bright House Networks Direct and I will be in touch.

Saint Petersburg, FL

You have raised concerns about your Internet service and I would like to assist with this. I can't however unless you respond Hoping you will reach out to me.

Review by Flokk See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Speeds greater than advertised."
Bad "Shady install and total waste of 5 hours of time. (UPDATED 7/9/13)"
Overall "Seems legit, but expect some incompetence. (UPDATED 7/9/13)"

***UPDATE***

Gary's follow up was quick and highly professional. Compared to past experiences with customer support (Comcast and Verizon over the years) this was a downright blissful experience. Gary reconciled the difference between what I was advised by customer service (re: wireless modem functionality being included) and what the technician actually billed for, by issuing a courtesy credit. He furthermore took a solid 15-20 minutes of his time to discuss our experience with the goal of taking that information to improve installation processes and the customer service experience. *And* advised that we contact him directly if we have any future issues (a nice shortcut through traditional customer service waits).

Long story short: We had a cold-fish third-party install technician and a minor miscommunication with customer service which Gary speedily resolved. We were still unsure what the deal was with the first tech, but based on the new information, he was NOT trying to scam us; the wireless modem package does cost $49~ to enable. Us thinking otherwise was a customer service miscommunication. And as previously stated, the second tech who came to get us sorted out was great.

The g/f and I feel loads better having gone on the record and worked with Gary to resolve the issue, which he did beautifully. Thumbs up—would def. recommend BH internet, just make sure you are clear w/customer service going in, as you should always be with any cable provider.

Also, speeds are still consistently above 32mbps. On Verizon in Maryland, we usually got capped at half speeds during the day.

***ORIGINAL REVIEW***:

We moved from MD to Tampa last week. BH, after comparison with Comcast and Verizon (no Fios available in the area!), seemed the better choice for the money. Customer service was great, friendly and flexible. They rolled with about three phone number changes in three days after a phone broke and we lost another charger. Thumbs up on that.

Install guy was shady, shady, shady. Not friendly and did not want to be there. He charged me $72--after I was advised by customer service that I would be paying nothing. He tried to then add a $49 fee to enable wireless. Having been told wireless was included, I declined. The alarming part was that he was fine with cash. All told he spent 10 minutes plugging in the modem and then walked out the door after calling in my credit card number. He wouldn't answer any tech questions and told me to call a customer service number. Like, really? An extremely unpleasant experience.

The next day I spent 5+ hours trying to set up our home network with the Ubee modem in bridge mode--thinking that there was no wireless enabled. After endless failures I called in for a tech visit. This tech was very friendly and knowledgeable. 10 minutes after he arrived, our network was up and running with laptops and smart phones all online. And he said...oh, the modem was broadcasting in wireless all along.

Long story short: watch for shady install guys who want to pocket your cash. Don't trust customer service, even though they seem friendly. No install expense went to a $70+ install cost, plus a failed attempt to scam up another $49.

The good news? Speeds are at or above par. Running 32-35 mbps down which is plenty for me. Can't yet testify to online gaming over the Ubee's wireless so the jury is out on that one.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent installation experience with Bright House Networks. Several points you raise have me concerned and I would like to discuss them with you. Please IM and let's set up a time that works for you.

Saint Petersburg, FL

It was a pleasure speaking with you today... please let me know if you need anything.

Flokk

join:2013-07-08
Tampa, FL

Re: Followup

Likewise Gary. Everything is working great!

Review by bertnik See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Very fast, always on"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Very pleased"

Installed the same day I ordered it. Speeds are great. Highly recommended! This is hooked up in Manatee County, Florida, where I recently moved to.

member for 11.2 years, 1325 visits, last login: 337 days ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert