Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by jets28cm See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Easy to order, decent browsing speed"
Bad "Download speeds average from .5 to 5Mb/s...even though im paying for 10"
Overall "mixed...."

My download speeds are horrednous...i understand that during peak it might slow down but if im paying for 10Mb/s D/L and I get .5 average on a weekend...why am I paying much. I do have a wireless cisco N router and have about 4 devices connected on it but only one of the devices are dowloading...my connection to the router states 140Mb/s a second but my speedtest bounces around from .5 to 5 in a matter of 3 test run in a row

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. I would like to assist with the concerns you raised in your review. Please reach out to me at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com or here in our direct forums at »Bright House Networks Direct and I will be in touch.

Saint Petersburg, FL

You have raised concerns about your Internet service and I would like to assist with this. I can't however unless you respond Hoping you will reach out to me.

Review by Flokk See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Speeds greater than advertised."
Bad "Shady install and total waste of 5 hours of time. (UPDATED 7/9/13)"
Overall "Seems legit, but expect some incompetence. (UPDATED 7/9/13)"

***UPDATE***

Gary's follow up was quick and highly professional. Compared to past experiences with customer support (Comcast and Verizon over the years) this was a downright blissful experience. Gary reconciled the difference between what I was advised by customer service (re: wireless modem functionality being included) and what the technician actually billed for, by issuing a courtesy credit. He furthermore took a solid 15-20 minutes of his time to discuss our experience with the goal of taking that information to improve installation processes and the customer service experience. *And* advised that we contact him directly if we have any future issues (a nice shortcut through traditional customer service waits).

Long story short: We had a cold-fish third-party install technician and a minor miscommunication with customer service which Gary speedily resolved. We were still unsure what the deal was with the first tech, but based on the new information, he was NOT trying to scam us; the wireless modem package does cost $49~ to enable. Us thinking otherwise was a customer service miscommunication. And as previously stated, the second tech who came to get us sorted out was great.

The g/f and I feel loads better having gone on the record and worked with Gary to resolve the issue, which he did beautifully. Thumbs up—would def. recommend BH internet, just make sure you are clear w/customer service going in, as you should always be with any cable provider.

Also, speeds are still consistently above 32mbps. On Verizon in Maryland, we usually got capped at half speeds during the day.

***ORIGINAL REVIEW***:

We moved from MD to Tampa last week. BH, after comparison with Comcast and Verizon (no Fios available in the area!), seemed the better choice for the money. Customer service was great, friendly and flexible. They rolled with about three phone number changes in three days after a phone broke and we lost another charger. Thumbs up on that.

Install guy was shady, shady, shady. Not friendly and did not want to be there. He charged me $72--after I was advised by customer service that I would be paying nothing. He tried to then add a $49 fee to enable wireless. Having been told wireless was included, I declined. The alarming part was that he was fine with cash. All told he spent 10 minutes plugging in the modem and then walked out the door after calling in my credit card number. He wouldn't answer any tech questions and told me to call a customer service number. Like, really? An extremely unpleasant experience.

The next day I spent 5+ hours trying to set up our home network with the Ubee modem in bridge mode--thinking that there was no wireless enabled. After endless failures I called in for a tech visit. This tech was very friendly and knowledgeable. 10 minutes after he arrived, our network was up and running with laptops and smart phones all online. And he said...oh, the modem was broadcasting in wireless all along.

Long story short: watch for shady install guys who want to pocket your cash. Don't trust customer service, even though they seem friendly. No install expense went to a $70+ install cost, plus a failed attempt to scam up another $49.

The good news? Speeds are at or above par. Running 32-35 mbps down which is plenty for me. Can't yet testify to online gaming over the Ubee's wireless so the jury is out on that one.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent installation experience with Bright House Networks. Several points you raise have me concerned and I would like to discuss them with you. Please IM and let's set up a time that works for you.

Saint Petersburg, FL

It was a pleasure speaking with you today... please let me know if you need anything.

Flokk

join:2013-07-08
Tampa, FL

Re: Followup

Likewise Gary. Everything is working great!

Review by bertnik See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Very fast, always on"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Very pleased"

Installed the same day I ordered it. Speeds are great. Highly recommended! This is hooked up in Manatee County, Florida, where I recently moved to.

member for 11.3 years, 1325 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by FastAttack See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Love the speeds. 90/10 I get more like 100/10"
Bad "Nothing so far"

I moved a neighborhood that has the cable and basic internet service given.
I ordered via the phone and I got probably some of the nicest customer service personal.

my grand total for just the internet service to "Lightning" Was $53.00 a month.

The order was painless. the Install was painless. And not only that the tech told me how to bridge my modem so that I could continue using my better performing wireless router.

So far so good!

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

1 recommendation

Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know....

Stumped2013

@bhn.net

Re: Thank you for sharing your recent

Hi - You helped me a few months ago with an issue with my TV and an av component cable. I have another issue. Brighthouse is here as I type this. For some reason, the internet works when it's hard wired to my desktop, but not my laptop on my Dell and my daughter's Samsung. The upload doesn't work at all when we do a speed test, and the download is so inconsistent. Sometimes we ge a decent speed, more often then not, a very slow speed. The tech here is stumped. Got any suggestions? Feel free to call my cell (removed-tmpchaos)

Stumped2013

@bhn.net

Re: Thank you for sharing your recent

One more thing - the BHN tech that was here said it probably has something to do with a wifi configuration tool or setting because when he hardwires the laptop it works fine. He started the computer in safe mode and the speed was faster too. Hope this helps. I have the BHN tech's cell # and you can call him and walk him through things if you need to. He tried calling one of the other techs to see if they knew what the issue could be, but he didn't know either.
voipjunk

join:2004-08-07
Spring Hill, FL

2 edits

review

$ 53 for lightning (You said 90/10, that's for sure is lightning), show me who offers that. Even Gary can not offer that.

FastAttack, that was nice try but you missed the price. You are in Brighthouse land and they don't have any competition here.. so you missed on pricing
FastAttack
join:2000-07-28
Tampa, FL
·Bright House

Re: review

said by voipjunk:

no missing pricing ..

Here were I live the HOA picks up the tab for the 10/1 and basic channels. I am renting so I honestly don't know how much they pay here for HOA.

so to do Lightning it only costs me $53.00 a month

$50.00 + modem rental fee.

Review by Muffsalso See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "Usually call for service and the same day service."
Bad "when having trouble ' have to start with level 1 tech"
Overall "Excellent Choice for the money"

Just upgraded to 60M down and 5M up.Install process was fast.Motorola SBG 6580 gateway, Cisco cable box,Home Security and Phone.Having a little trouble staying on line,But after a little help with the tech on this site, all is great !!!

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For sharing your recent Birght House Networks experience and it was a pleasure assisting you. Let me know if you need anything.

Slo912

join:2013-07-02

Re: Thank you...

Do you know when Gary BHouse in Indianapolis will start offering 90mbps exactly?
Secondly, I have all 3 packages and have all of the paid channels as well and currently on the 60mbps down & 5up.
That in mind Gary, do susptect my price will go up again as it already went up an extra $5 monthly after upgrading from 40mbps down to 60down.
Thank you kindly and sincerely in advance for your response.

Sincerely,

Slo912

Review by Guide_Tim See Profile

• Location: Taft, CA
Good "Bright House Networks is Amazing !!!"
Overall "Great Prices, Great Service, Top of the line Customer Support"

Been a BHN customer since 2003. Their Customer Support is outstanding. Little to no issues with Cable TV service, and Internet Service through out the years. If there was an issue they resolved it right away.
Services we have currently : Lightning 60 High Speed Internet , Digital Cable TV
I'm a happy Bright House Networks Customer.

member for 2.8 years, 1272 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Milkman See Profile

• Location: Brooksville,Hernando,FL
Good "Very reliable uptime."
Bad "Very poor advertised upload speeds"
Overall "Not bad."

·Bright House Dig..
·Vonage
I rarely ever have any connection problems and I am on my internet a LOT. I almost never have to call their tech support (which is a credit to their service reliability). They have no contract (which isn't a big deal to me since I have been a customer for 15+ years).

It isn't all good though. I find their upload speeds to be lacking (to say the least). They have been upgrading their download speeds, which have always been doing better and better, but their upload speeds are still very very slow for the higher end packages. Their fastest service (90 mb/s down) only offers a maximum speed of 10 mb/s.

I do not use them for cable TV, but I also have their alarm system and I am pretty happy with that as well.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent experience with Bright House Networks. If you need anything please let me know..

Review by kdwycha See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Download Speed, Low Latency, Same Day Service Calls, Spot On CS (Not Tech Support)"
Bad "Upstream, HD UI on STB's Sucks"
Overall "Satisfied"

I have had service for about 2 years and am satisfied. Thats not to say if my apartment complex would end the exclusive contract I wouldnt jump right to FiOS due to better upstream and kickass HD UI etc.

member for 11.9 years, 2987 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mashiki See Profile

• Location: Zephyrhills,Pasco,FL
Good "Fairly fast setup, CS kept upto-date info on install, speeds/connection stable"
Bad "Subcontractor installed, time shifed repeatedly -- late-day from early morning."
Overall "Good price, for what you get, with good speeds."

·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Only available option in the area outside of wireless. No DSL hookups in this area, ordered the standard package(5/400) @ 32.90/mo no contract. A lite package was available at 19.90/mo(1/128)

Order went smoothly, the only real issue was with the subcontractor who was repeatedly running behind. Install time went from 10-12 to 2-4pm, pushing the time back, making it slightly more of an issue throughout the day.

Modem supplied is Motorola 5100 series. Since this area is pretty new, the S/N DB levels are fairly good as well. Other then the installer, I don't have any other real huge issues that currently stand out.

Update the review as able.

Post spring-shutdown(Mar 29) of the install no outages had happened, no issues had happened, service was good. Will post the fall switch on around Oct.30ish.

No problems past fall, this previous spring either. One small outage that lasted a few hours. Then 3 day outage when the large T-storms rolled through a few weeks back in Apr in the St.Petes area.

4/13/13
The price has gone through the roof(roughly $20 in the last 3 years) since my initial buy. Right now, the quality overall vs price is roughly where Southern Ontario and Woodstock was back in 2000/2001. Piss poor. Reliability has been fine for all the periods I've been there, but there is no value for your money. If DSL was an option I'd switch to that.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For recently updating your recent Bright House Networks experience. Take a moment to post here »Bright House Networks Direct and include the details of your current concern and I'll be in touch.

Review by helpdude See Profile

• Location: Winter Haven,Polk,FL
Good "Fast install after ordered, good followup"
Bad "slow for 20mph "turbo" service, lots of interuptions"
Overall "only thing available for internet"

This is the only service I was able to find in my area other than satellite. I only wanted internet, not a package so I took the 20 mph "turbo" as a most reasonable setup since we did not want the "twin 15mph lines".

I have a Ubee DVW3201B modem and wireless router combo on Docsis 3.0. They won't run on my Motorola SB6120. I also had to disable SIP so that my VoIP system will work without dropping calls. The Ubee performance has been really spotty and the user interface for setup and control is not what I need: there is no way to "reboot" without "pulling the plug" when the system is "misbehaving".

I am very disappointed in the advertised speed as I get very different reported speeds from the Brighthouse speed tests (17mph to Orlando) and the Broadband speed tests (7mph to Washington DC and 2 to CA). My home network of laptop, desktop, wireless printer, Andoid phone, Amazon Kindle Fire and Linksys VoIP router is dropping 2 to 3 times a day. The current answer is to obtain a "new IP" from the BHN servers. this works for a couple of hours. BOO!!

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

How about we get this fixed :)

Open a direct forums thread here »Bright House Networks Direct and I will be in touch.

Thanks,