Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by SilverSTreak See Profile

• Location: Sun City Center,Hillsborough,FL

Came to BH Networks for my Phone and Internet after my long time ISP (Earthlink) tried to upgrade my DSL connection and instead broke it and after a week weren't able to return me to even my prior service. So BH to the rescue.

I don't watch movies online so only needed basic internet speed and the $55 service quoted was

a. Faster than the DSL I was replacing,

b. Included all the "extra" phone services that I lacked with Verizon Call waiting/forwarding, Caller ID and long distance service - because of cost) and lastly

c. ended up just a little less that I had been paying to Verizon/Earthlink

The Order/Install process was very satisfying. Tech came on time when promised and I had internet service the moment he left and phone service later that day. I was actually impressed!

Things were fine for the first month or two. Services seemed stable and performed as expected, but then I noticed an occasional "slowdown" of my internet connection. I also got occasional reports of friends trying to call me and getting a busy signal when I knew we weren't even at home. Eventually, the slowdowns got worse, and I started trying to investigate. One day I tried to place a call and - no dial-tone so I looked at my modem and the lights indicated it was rebooting. Further internet sleuthing indicated I was not in this boat alone, but since it was intermittent and short duration, I needed to find a way to track the outages. I found an online tool (Net Uptime Monitor) that pings three different sites every 5 seconds and when ALL three sites fail to respond for 200 MS or more it logs an entry and times it until they come back. Now I could see exactly when and how long my services were being interrupted. Armed with that I tried BHN support - not good. They wanted me to reboot my modem (which I had already done, and try a bunch of other things that totally ignored any of the inputs I had already gathered. They also were insisting that my personal router could be the source of the problem and that I needed to remove it to see if the problem resolved before they could/would do anything else! Bottom line was - you look fine from here right now. I gave up for a few days but the problems persisted and appeared to be getting worse so I reconfigured my network, eliminating my personal LAN entirely (so now I have no Wi-Fi and only one computer connected in a 5 computer household. After a few days I was beginning to fret that maybe they were right and then boom - my monitor indicates lost connection, I have no phone dial tone and sure enough my modem is in a reboot. I tried calling as soon as the phone came back on, but I couldn't get through because the modem would reboot and drop my calls every couple of minutes or so. So now I have to resort to calling support on my pay as you go minutes cell phone! After an annoying long time navigating call trees and waiting in a queue I finally get a support rep and reexplaining my issues and history (again - UGH!) I tried to get escalated to a 2nd level of support but all they were willing to do was send out a tech. So the tech comes out, finds some signals "marginal" and rewires my cable coming into the house (eliminates 1 connector), and just for safety's sake swaps out my modem. All looks good - until about 15 minutes after he left and bam - more of the same modem reboots... I immediately recall and they send the tech back out that evening. He tells me he can't find anything wrong and that "looking at the entire block sees no errors of any kind" - in other words - It must not be a real problem! I insist that he escalate to his manager which he says he will but I have yet to hear from anyone else for over a week now. Actually did run clear for about 4 or 5 days and then yesterday and today its back with 10+ drops a day... Have tried posting in the BHN specific forum here on DSLReports and am patiently awaiting a hopefully helpful response.

Update: After posting here in DSL reports, I got an email from BHNTech - Gary. He questioned me some about my issue and assured they would get to the bottom of the problem. He apparently was able to employ some specific monitoring tools that coupled with information I was able to provide about when my issues were happening he detected that there was indeed some problem that required the field techs to come out. One came as promised and after listening to me describe the intermittent nature of the problem he monitored the cable for some time and did detect some anomalies that prompted him to run a new line out to the street, and back to the distribution point. Well, since then I have been cruising right along with zero issues for 4 days now and I am pretty confident that the problem is resolved.

My only nagging concern is that it took the considerable effort on my part to come to DSLReports and thus find Gary in order to get my issue addressed. Why he or someone like him wasn't cued in say maybe after my 2nd or 3rd call to customer care is beyond me.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience.

As we have discussed in the direct forums I will be in touch on Monday to address each of your concerns. Thank you for reaching out to me.

Review by jessehclark See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "I have TV and Internet, sometimes"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Don't do it unless you have to"

READ UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF POST

Brighthouse is awful. Literally, the only reason I have Brighthouse is because no other internet or cable service providers are available in my area. My only other option is to get satellite service, and I don't want to sign a contract. I cannot wait to move so I can get rid of BH.

INTERNET

When I moved here 2 years ago (august 2010) I ordered their mid-tier (i think it was 15mbps at the time) internet package. I had numerous issues with their internet service, which they refused to diagnose since I was using my own modem (because they charge monthly if you use theirs). Read that again: they charge you monthly for their modem, and will not troubleshoot if you use your own. I had to add one of their modems to my service, go pick it up, install it, and wait for the problem to recur before they would sent someone out. Turns out their installation tech pinched the cable on the side of my house in the siding, which made a hole in the cable covering, and it would short out every time it rained, cutting off my internet. Great work guys. Took about 2 months to resolve that issue and 4 or 5 tech visits. Most recently (jan 2013) i was paying $50 for 10mbps internet.

DIGITAL CABLE TV

Then yesterday (march 2013) we added cable service. The tech showed up on time, but was here for 5 hours and we were only having 2 rooms installed. First he had the wrong boxes, so someone came to exchange them. Then one box was not working, so he had to come back. Then we were informed that since one outlet wasn't connected it would be $20 to fix that, and another $40 to add an outlet where the tv was in the other room. Free installation, yea right! Cox in Gainesville installed multiple outlets for free when I lived there, and only charged $25 to come back out to add another one later. Most importantly, I wasn't told about any of these charges while scheduling the appointment.

Then they said they had to upgrade my modem (it is a nicer modem) because all of their bundles make you upgrade to 30mbps internet. No way around it. However it wasn't just a modem that they installed; it was a big gateway (wireless router + modem) that barely fit where I keep the modem and router. I told the tech, well, since this is the modem, why don't we just take my router out of the equation so don't have problems when I call for tech support. He said OK but there's a monthly charge for adding wireless networking. Apparently they use the same equipment, but charge you to "unlock" the wireless feature of your router. Ridiculous. *update: i don't mind paying $3.50 a month for a docsis 3.0 modem. the modem is great. i'm just commenting on the fact that BH wants you to pay a monthly charge for wireless networking, a feature available with my current equipment, because they disable it.*

"WHOLE HOME DVR"

I put quotes around that because I asked repeatedly during the ordering process how the whole home dvr worked. I asked if I was correct in my understanding that the "main box" is the dvr and that the second box merely networks with the main box to view the recordings, and I was told yes. I asked if I could both view and record shows from the second box (with the understanding that the recording was actually happening on the main box) and I was told yes. I asked if I could rewind and pause live tv on both boxes, and was told yes. I cannot do those things. The second box in the "whole home dvr" is just a receiver that allows you to view the recorded shows stored on the main box; you cannot record from it and you cannot pause live tv. You have to record on the main box, then just watch it on the other. It is POSSIBLE to have that functionality, but it would cost me another $20 a month to add a second "networked hd dvr."

PRICE

MOST IMPORTANTLY, BH's TV service and internet speeds are NOTHING SPECIAL for what you pay. My bill is $140 after tax and i get 30mbps internet and their ONLY AVAILABLE digital cable package with "whole home dvr" (a joke) in 2 rooms. Verizon Fios offered 3x faster speeds and 2x as many channels in 2x as many rooms for less than that when my girlfriend lived in Tampa. And my best friend has AT&T Uverse and says he pays about the same amount and their service is so much better. Ridiculous. *i am fully aware of the pricing schemes and introductory offers made by other providers. i am not relying on a misleading mailer for "$29.99 HDTV 1,000 channels and 100 DVRS!" I compared the true average monthly cost of the 190+ channel pack with 2 DVRS (whole home) after tax, equipment fees, etc.* Do your homework, kids.

I tried to negotiate with BH and explain that they were more expensive and had fewer features than other companies, could they give me an incentive to order cable, and I was told that BH does not offer price matching or other discounts. I complained about the install process and received no offer or compensation. Lots of sympathy from the CSR's, they were all very nice, but completely powerless to do anything. Lastly, as a side note, the Brighthouse TV app took days to start working and nobody we called knew anything about the app. *the app now works, but only on your home wireless network.*

CONCLUSION

This whole company is terrible. The moment a) I move or b) another service becomes available I will switch. They don't care about their customers, and are completely inflexible on their pricing because they can be. They have a monopoly and internet and cable where I live, and just don't care how frustrated or unhappy you are because they know you have nowhere to go.

DISCLAIMER

I do not consider Clear a valid alternative for internet, nor do I consider 1.5mbps DSL an alternative. When I say there are no other internet providers, I mean that there are no other 10mbps+ internet providers where I live. None. As for TV, there is no comcast, no uverse, and no fios. Everyone can get Dish or DirectTV, but you have to sign a 2 year contract and everyone knows what happens during hurricane season. I dare (read: beg) anyone to find me another internet or cable provider on Candlewyck Drive in Orlando, FL. Seriously, please. I hate Brighthouse.

Just in case BH reads this, if you want to make me and my girlfriend happy, here's what you'd have to do: give me internet and digital cable with the ability to watch and record from 2 rooms for $100 a month. It's what fios and uverse offer, and I don't think its unreasonable. *that means you BH corporate. your pricing is not competitive.*

UPDATE 3/7/2013

Spoke with Gary from BH at length today and fixed a few things. For one, he corrected some settings on my modem so that VPN/port forwarding will work since it was not previously set up as a bridge.

To be fair,I have updated by ratings. Install coordination went from 0 to 1, since the tech did show up on time and eventually got everything working.

Since BH fixed my cable issue (over a year ago) the connection has been very reliable. So, connection reliability is a 3/4 and not a 4/4 since some channels do drop out from time to time, but overall very good.

My scorched earth stright 0 ratings initially (and accurately) reflected my feelings about the service I received. However, I have updated their tech support rating from a 0/4 to a 2/4. Despite the poor customer service I received previously, Gary's excellent support brings that rating up significantly. I heard BH has a program in the works to clone Gary and replace all techs and CSRs with an army of Garys, so when that comes through I will probably hack dslreports to bump BH up to a 5.

The service they provide is good- the internet is fast and the channels are clear.

I do not believe, currently, that BH represents any great value for the money. A 4/4 rating to me would mean better service than competitors at a lower price. A 3/4 would be same service same price. A 2/4 would mean either better service at a higher price or lesser service at a lower price. A 1/4, which is what I have given, represents a slightly lesser service at a slightly higher price. BH does not have some of the features their competitors have, which is fine, but they have not discounted their services to reflect this. A 0 would be BH if they did not have Gary.

The one category I have not bumped up from a 0 is pre sales information. Gary apologized for the incorrect information I was given, but it is apparent that I was not told what I should have been when ordering service, and the reps did not follow BH protocol.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

DirecTV/Dish & Clear

Actually DirecTV and Dish do NOT make you sign a contract. You can OPT OUT by paying full price for the boxes and equipment. Dish will let you sign up with 1 TV and their service for $199 and pre-pay for services. DirecTV requires you to purchase all equipment up front.

Also Clear is actually another service/solution. Their service is above 10Meg and is fully unlimited unless the tower is fully maxed (which generally isn't the case). Also they have no download caps- meaning what ever the tower has- you can have as well. Some markets have tiered speeds but its still the same- unlimited usage.

Also AT&T isn't going to be available in VZ Markets.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

It would appear there are multiple things to address... please allow me to help. Reach out to me in our direct forums here or via email at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I'll be in touch soon.

Thanks,

Gary
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Customer

@bhn.net

Re: Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

I just got my whole house dvr too and It sucks. It stops recording and doesn't record at will... SUCKS!!!!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

said by Customer :

Please register here and reach out to me when you get a moment.

Review by weaseled386 See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Lightning.... LIGHTNING!"
Bad "None So Far"
Overall "Amazing Connection If You're Willing To Pay The Price!"

Update 3-4-2013: I currently use BHN for TV and Internet.

TV: I have three HDTV's setup as WH-DVR. I live alone with my 6 year old daughter, and she doesn't schedule any recordings. I imagine I'll start running into issues once she does.

Internet: BHN internet is great! I hate how much they charge to "rent" their modems, but I own my own (Moto SB6141). I'm on the newer Lightning tier, and see great speeds at all times of the day! (68.5M down, 5.8M up, 16ms.)

OLD Review:
This isn't the standard Brighthouse Networks residential service. I have the Ultimate Gamer Experience / Ultimate Value Package. Just as standard residential Turbo, the advertised speed is 15/2. The difference is you get a static IP (they provide the cable router), and you get to deal with busness tech support.

They were late for my install, but they make good for the wasted time by giving a $20 credit towards your bill. Speed is plenty! When testing to Atlanta, Tampa or Orlando I vary between 13 - 50M down and a steady 1.8M up. That is slightly lower than advertised, but it's consistent & higher than any of my many alternatives.

My only complaint is they won't give me the login/pw to my ZyXEL 964 cable router! If you have your own network downstream you need to call them and ask for DHCP & NAT to be disabled, and router put in BRIDGE mode -- all of which can be done remotely.

The price listed above includes: 15/2 internet service, HD digital cable with DVR and HBO. Installation of all services is free.

Update 10/20/2009:

Although I've ran into a couple bumps in the last few months, I'd still recommend this service to anyone in the market for a solid broadband connection. I had a chronic issue, and three weeks in a row dispatched on a Sunday to check things out. After that didn't fix it they rewired my entire house for free.

Avoid the Xyzel cable modem at all costs. After having new ones fail I requested a different brand. The tech had an Ambit on his truck, and it has been rock solid for over a year.

Updated price from $135 to $160 to include: 15/2 business class internet, Samsung HD-DVR, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax & The Movie Channel.

Update 8/31/2010

Today was Port Orange's launch of Lightning (40/5), and I was on the list! The speeds are absolutely crazy... Some said you wouldn't notice a difference going from 20/2 to 40/5, and I say they're wrong.

There were minor glitches, but it was the first time most of the ppl I dealt with had seen this equipment. The installer did a good job; he checked all cables, ends & splitters. He read thru his training manual for installation directions, but the training manual stopped short of helping us bridge the modem.

I called in to tech support, and the first person wasn't helpful at all. He understood what I wanted, but wouldn't assist me in it because the order was still in the system. I hung up with him, and called back. This time I got a tech who walked me thru the process of bridging the modem myself.

Its only been a few hours, so I'll post back if things go bad.

member for 6.2 years, 1963 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MichaelT See Profile

• Location: Largo,Pinellas,FL
Good "It is very fast and reliable"
Bad "The interface on the Ubee router can be a little tricky"
Overall "Bright house Networks Wireless Internet Service Is Phenomenal"

Bright house Networks Wireless Internet Service Is Phenomenal. It has a few kinks here and there but what doesn't have a few problems. But all in all I give Bright House a 5 star rating! I have the Lightning High Speed Package. I have a Ubee router and it is very nice.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please feel free to reach out to me.

Geezy

Re: Thank you

I am getting Brighthouse on the 27th. I seen in some other threads that some people were having an issue with the lightning service, they were not getting the advertised speed that they were supposed to get. How can I avoid this? I need to get the 60/Mbs, or close to it on all of my devices. Thanks in advance!!

Review by rebus9 See Profile

• Location: New Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "Extremely reliable and get full advertised speed any time of day."
Bad "FIOS smokes them on speed."
Overall "If you can't get FIOS, this is your next best choice in the Tampa Bay area. No hesitation recommending it to family and friends."

I've had Road Runner continuously since early 2002 and speaking as a power user who uses the connection for everything-- surfing, Netflix streaming, Vonage phone, telecommuting, etc-- it's been remarkably stable and reliable. When RR's main competition was only Verizon DSL, they aggressively raised speeds periodically at no extra charge, just to "one-up" Verizon for bragging rights. Ever since FIOS came to town it seems RR just gave up and is happy playing second fiddle. Last year I subscribed to FIOS because of the higher speeds, but I've kept the Road Runner connection as a backup since I telecommute and can't be without internet service during the workday. Call it cheap insurance. Bottom line is, if you can't get FIOS or just hate Verizon that much, Road Runner from Brighthouse Networks Tampa Bay in an excellent choice. Also, if you have a customer support issue, it's infinitely easier to get in touch with a RR support tech than it is to plod through Verizon's endless menu trees and holding queues. FIOS gives you the best speeds in town but are more expensive. RR gives you lower priced packages and more accessible phone support.

member for 12.3 years, 1848 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by detfan See Profile

• Location: Livonia,Wayne,MI
Good "Consistantly at 65-68 Mbps Down and 5.5 Mbps Up. Very few outages."
Overall "Best I have ever had."

Nothing to complain about. Price may be a tad high but you g et what you pay for.

Comments:

Review by britthendrix

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "Nothing."
Bad "Worst service ever"
Overall "Asked us to knock on neighbors door. Refused to refund inaccessible movies. Called customer service several times a month"

Worst service ever. Asked us to knock on a neighbors door so they could access their cable. Embarrassing service. I am reporting to BBB maybe seeking legal counsel.

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for your review...

Hello britthendrix,

My name is Gary and I work for Bright House Networks. Please allow me to assist you with this. Please send the details to BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I will be in touch shortly.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

Being neighborly

When Brighthouse came out to my house to fix an issue, the tech asked me to ask the neighbor if he could access their yard to climb the pole that my line was coming from. I yelled over the fence, neighbor said it was ok. I didn't think anything of it, and I still don't. If a Brighthouse tech had to come on to my property to fix my neighbor's line..I wouldn't hesitate to allow them access. I try to get along with my neighbors so when things like this comes up its not an issue.
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Review by Swindle See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Knowledgeable CS Reps & Quick Response Appointments"
Bad "Difficult Bundle Price Negotiations (Even With Local Competition)"
Overall "From Paragon Cable To BrightHouse Networks, A Well-Run Content Provider With No Hassles (Such As Billing, Etc ...)"

Recently Signed Up For The Triple Bundle (Digital Cable, RoadRunner (Currently 10/1), & Digital Phone Service) For $100.00 ($120.00 After Taxes/Fees).

Upon Ordering The Triple Bundle, Two SA Explorer 3250 Set-Top Boxes Were Delivered Within 24 Hours Of Placing My Order.

Music Channel In One Room Seems To Stutter From Time To Time But Not Enough To Make Someone Rip Their Hair Out. This May Be Caused By Using A Splitter?

Comments:

Review by DrData See Profile

• Location: Longwood,Seminole,FL
Good "60+ mbps download speeds. No contract required."
Bad "Slow upload vs download speeds."
Overall "New modems (d3?) make service rock solid."

·Clear Wireless
Previously hated BHN because the service was so unreliable. The old modem had constant reboots anytime I tried to do something online and had me super frustrated that I even purchased services from other providers just so I could enjoy the Internet.

I have since upgraded to lightning and the new modems are rock solid (so far) and just upgraded from 40 Mbps to 60 Mbps.

member for 9.5 years, 671 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Sorry to see you go...

Dr. Data you asked one question in our direct forums which had to do with pricing and billing. Our forum support here is not intended for that purpose because of the regional nature of pricing and promotions. I handle technical issues here related to service and connectivity to third party devices only. This is the reason you were referred to your local office.

Your other interaction in our forums you had a modem issue and based on your post back you were very happy with the service you received here so I'm perplexed by part of your review tonight.

Ref: »[Connectivity] Modem reboots multiple times daily

Needless to say we would love to have you back should you decide that Clear was not the clear choice. You will have a very difficult time with VOIP over Clear btw. I hope they told you that

Re: Sorry to see you go...

What's your deal? Honestly, I find is sad that you feel the need to try an discredit me, a former client and bash a competitor like Clear publicly while representing bright house.

The reboot issue was never fully resolved. I initially thought it was when they replaced the modem and was very happy about that as posted, but the issue came back a few days later. I actually found a bug in your modems that involves GRE and told your tech about it. Clearly nothing was done about it.

I have asked several questions over the years in the forums, and the new private forum.

VOIP works just fine. Outgoing was choppy from time-to-time with bright house and it's not with Clear.

said by DrData:

Dr. Data if you were still having problems your thread is/was always open to post back a status which unfortunately you didn't. I would have addressed any concerns you had immediately just like I did on your original request.

The reason I responded to your reviiew tonight is simply due to several conerns you raised that aren't exactly as you stated. Your post history is visible for everyone to see and you essentially said that we (I) did not help you when in fact I have helped you every time you reached out to me with an issue where I could be of assistance. In the one instance where I couldn't I referred you directly to the folks that could be of most assistance.

You have asked a total of two questions in our direct forums since they were opened both of which were addressed (one to your total satisfaction from our standpoint based on your respose and because you never once reported back continued issues). Your last and only public post in our forums in the last 180 days was on 6/21/12 when you posted an opinion of the service. Since it wasn't in the form of a question or request for assistance it was left alone for others to contribute to.

Our modems have no known issues with GRE as you called it nor would it be appropriate to tell your tech about it as it's likely he wouldn't know what you referring to as this is not his field of expertise. Technical concerns such as this should have been directed here where you have a resource in me that is more than willing and eager to assist you and since I work directly with our engineering folks it would have received immediate attention.

The issues with using Clear for VOIP is due to their inconsistent datarate inherent in their technology (you can't get around it). I did substantial testing on this product and you may have noticed they no longer offer their VOIP service for this very reason. You may not know this but when they initially rolled out their service in Florida it was an option. Latency, Jitter and very low QoS impacted the service greatly and it was discontinued. If by lucky chance you are having successful results using MagicJack over Clear I'm happy for you and wish nothing but the best. Should things change in that level of service and it doesn't work out by all means please let me know as we would love to have you back.

Wishing you all the best....

Re: Sorry to see you go...

I was told to call in and that's what I posted in the review concerning the online support. Just because I had one good interaction doesn’t make up for the bad as you are trying to portray. Whom ever it was couldn’t take 2 minutes to help me out and that cost you a loyal client.

Clear has obviously improved since your testing in 2010.

Re: Sorry to see you go...

I have edited the review to be more clear about the online support.

said by DrData:

Clear has obviously improved since your testing in 2010.

Clear can't fix the issues inherent in the technology (that being it's wireless) that are the primary reasons for its failure in VOIP for most people and certainly by the technical numbers if you look at them. Go to the following link and run that test...post back the SID you used for the test so I can review the results and share them with you. That will tell me everything I need to know and what you should know...primarily the MOS score.

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.ph···VoipTest

As for the interaction issue with the rep why didn't you let me know this happened to you DrData? I have always responded to your concerns when I could help you. When have you ever see me turn down the concerns of our customers especially as it applies to the quality of service you receive....NEVER Dr. Data.

If you had a negative experience with one of our folks I want to know about it and I could and would have made sure that the situation was resolved to you satisfaction if at all possible BUT you didn't contact me...you made no attempt. You have my phone number, my email address and you certainly could have contacted me here. I am not exactly the hardest to person to get in touch with...quite the contrary in fact.

And let us not overlook the issue with your review of the support you have received here because honestly anyone can click on your profile and see all your posts Dr. Data. The facts clearly show otherwise. Anyway I have to run...will be looking for your reply with the SID you used for the test and I will post your entire test results here. The MOS score does not lie...and I seriously doubt you will score very high....I will be very happy for you if you do...but I'm not holding high hopes.

"Online direct support is so-so.. They are of no help with billing questions." (your newly edited review I guess)

Dr. Data our support here is not to replace CARE or Sales in your region. It's designed to assist with highly technical or service related issues or issues involving the interfacing of our products with third party devices. You were told that up front. We already have an ecare department that can assist as well if you want to use online services only. The link below will take you there...

»applications.brighthouse.com/ent···hat.aspx

Re: Sorry to see you go...

I use Clear at home and am very aware of the technology. I have made a recent review about them in the proper space. You're correct that latency and jitter are higher with wimax tech, but it's perfectly fine and within spec for VOIP usage. Latency runs about 70-80 ms and jitter runs 5-10 ms. I have tested it extensively and works great for me. I've also tested my bright house connection and jitter has exceeded 30+ at times. My brighthouse connection was also prone to packet loss!

My review here is not about Clear. You clearly have an issue with them and are trying to make Clear and their technology look inferior when in reality it's not, is a great alternative, and there really is no concernable difference.

I've been a member here since 2004 and am very aware how the site works and the post history. The fact is i posted a recent support request for help with pricing, and you guys were of no help as shown in my POST HISTORY of which the post can't be viewed by the public. That coupled with the price, dvr issues and modem reboots as outlined in my review.

said by DrData:

Sure it can. Take a screenshot of the entire thread and post it here for everyone to see that I did indeed respond to you and pointed you in the direction in which you needed to go because DSLR is not the appropriate venue for such questions. That way there can't be any doubt. You have raised several issues none of which were accurately portrayed and this is why you have modified your original post as reflected in the notes above.

While all reviews are appreciated good, bad or yes even ugly the expectation is that you will fairly represent the facts.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Since you brought up Clear in your review

I know how important quality of service is to you so I took the liberty of pulling the last 45 days of VOIP test results from the site I asked you to test on last night. You can pull them yourself if you have any doubts. There are two slides, one for the achieved MOS score and the other for Jitter and Packet Loss.

Any MOS less than 3.8 is considered unacceptable for good quality VOIP conversations. It's pretty obvious where your current provider is ranking...not good. The Jitter is all over the place and this clearly impacts the quality of service for those Clear folks who took the test.

Now you say you aren't having any issues and thats a good thing. I hope it lasts but at least you now have a the bigger picture of how others with the very same service have tested.

I wish you the best of luck.

Take care

Re: Since you brought up Clear in your review

A canned response doesn’t mean it was helpful.

I have represented the facts and it's not my goal to twist facts as is your intention to make bright house look better. On my recent request for support I received no help at all, just a canned response. That is not help and that is not satisfactory as I outlined and even cleared up for you again and again.

I have no interest in debating the Clear service with you. It's a great Internet service. Fix the bugs in your modem, fix your QOS, jitter issues, fix the packet loss and fix the DVR/box issues before you throw stones at other providers.

said by DrData:

A canned response doesn’t mean it was helpful.

Dr.Data there are no canned responses from me. Each one custom just for you...once again you are morphing your argument. Tell ya what I'm going to do...look for a post shortly here that details all of your posts in our forums and my replies since you registered here...it will clear this up once and for all including the links to each thread. Like I said said earlier I respect all reviews good, bad or ugly...all I ask is that you keep it real and in this case that hasn't happened. Anyway that will be the last response on this and again I wish you all the best.

Re: Since you brought up Clear in your review

Here we go again.. you're twisting things trying to redirect the issue from a recent support request to past support requests. The last response I received was to call in, instead of giving me the info requested and that is the issue I posted about. The issue is not past responses or past support from you as you are attempting to portray.

Something that happened 6 months ago has no relation to the recent incident I’m posting about. Nice try though.

The canned response...

"Please contact customer care or sales for this request. Also take your personal information out of your last post. We will never ask for your personal information online. Thank you."

You should remove the option to select "billing" in the post section if you're not providing billing support in the direct forums.

The canned response...

Thank you. I didn't notice that it was there. It will be removed immediately. That however was not a canned response.

Done...

John Lenihan

Bright house deception

Bright house, unlike any other business anywhere, and despite laws in every state requiring price posting of good/services, never reveals the true cost of their services. Calling is just an excuse to get elevator music followed by some huckster trying to sell you what you don't want or need, mainly long diatribes about "bundles". Beware!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Dr Data thank you for sticking with us all those years and super happy to hear all is working well.

Review by henbone11 See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
Good "Internet connection quality and speed, good phone line"
Bad "pricing"
Overall "overall stable services...at a price"

I have had Comcast, AT&T U-Verse, and Cox and none of them have been as consistently steady or fast for me as Bright House. I currently have the 40/4Mbps Lightning package and for the first few months got right at those speeds any time I ran a speed test and through real world usage. About two months ago I started seeing 50Mbps downloads speeds and they have not gone back, and upload speeds have stayed the same. The phone line is crystal clear and have never had a problem with it.

After ordering the service, installer arrived on the date and exact time as scheduled. He was only here for about thirty minutes, and ten of those were just us idly talking tech. From the moment he left til now, roughly 6 months, everything has been great. A great service is one that you forget is a service at all because it's just always there and always works.

The pricing is more than I would have expected. I have called three different times to inquire about different tv packages, and even the very basic cable is $70 a month more. Sorry, but that is pretty unacceptable. As far as I can tell, my internet is $70 a month and the phone service is $20 a month. With Cox and Comcast I had 50/5Mbps internet packages and it never cost me more than $50 a month...and I am not the kind of person to call every month and complain or threaten to leave to get things cheaper. It is simply what it cost. I realize that I said that none of my previous broadband experiences were as constant as with Bright House, but paying a premium for consistency is a shame in this day and age.

This apartment complex has a dedicated Bright House representative and he has been great. I have mostly dealt with him, but have called Bright House directly to see about pricing options and it's always the same. We were led to believe that the dedicated rep we were to work with was able to provide us with some sort of preferred pricing, guess we were mislead, but that is on the apartment complex and not Bright House. I would also like to see Bright House increase speeds and possibly offer a consumer grade 100Mbps connection, but that's just being greedy.

I have the Ubee gateway, bridged, running through an Asus RT-N66U router then to a Netgear 24 port switch to 14 wired devices. Every device has fast and consistent speed.

Ultimately, I have been very happy with the service. Pricing aside, I have zero complaints and would/have recommend/ed the service to others. I rated the technical support in the middle because I have never had to use them for anything. Anyone in the Carmel, IN area should seriously consider Bright House if shopping for internet services. I cannot speak on the quality of the tv packages. Knowing the area, pricing will not be an issue for anyone, and is only an issue for me based on principle.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

1 recommendation

Thank you for your review...

WOW!...thank you on behalf of your entire Indy BHN family....I will be sharing this with them on Monday.

I understand how you feel on pricing and I encourage you to check often for promotions that may apply to you. In fact feel free to reach out to me anytime and I'll have someone review your account and see if we can't match you up with that perfect package pricepoint.

Also want to commend you on your choice of routers and I trust you waited long enough for them to work out the bugs or are using alternate firmware. I am a big fan of this class of Asus routers (56,65, still iffy on the 66) and would love to get some feedback from you.

If you need anything at all please feel free to reach out to me.

Cheers..

henbone11

join:2012-02-18
Carmel, IN
·Bright House

Re: Thank you for your review...

I have been through most of the popular top end consumer routers and the Asus has always done everything well. The only time I reboot is when upgrading the firmware and always have great connectivity, wifi and ethernet. I use the file sharing (even though it only has two usb ports I have a four port hub connected with hard drives in all four ports), ftp, openVPN server, media server and many of the other functions on a daily basis and it just works. Also, I must say that I am very much a function over form person, but it even looks good.

I do use the Merlin's build firmware (3.0.0.4.260.21), which is just a heavily modified stock firmware, but vastly increased functionality. I have helped friends and family step up to this router and all seem to enjoy it.

BH Sux

Blighthouse Sux

You people are absolutely HORRID!!! You have terrible service, and you have LIED about your offerings this weekend!!! If you are not providing the Showtime Free Preview, then DO NOT ADVERTISE IT ON THE CHANNELS I PAY FOR!!! Also, the call center is in Canada!!!

Re: Blighthouse Sux

said by BH Sux :

Showtime advertised that not Bright House Networks. Just because you see the ad on a national network does not mean your local provider is participating and we have no control over the ads they (Showtime) put out there.