Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by genebopp See Profile

• Location: Winter Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "There is none. They make comcast look good."
Bad "The have come to my house 18 times in 3 years."
Overall "They cant make the equipment work"

Bright house is the worst utility that i have ever had. The service is flakey, customers service takes for ever. Each time they come to my house the tech says "not my job" and has to send a different guy. They use contractors for everything and the real BH guy only show up for trouble shooting, but performs no work. So next week you get to wait for a different guy. The most common thing that happens is the contractor claims you weren't home so he left. They have said that twice while I was standing in the drive way cleaning my car.... TWICE. The phone people are full of promises but they cant make their stuff work. If there is any alternative in your area take that!!!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

twalls

join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL
·Bright House

Direct Forums

I've had a couple of bad techs as well. If you still have specific issues that need fixing, I'd advise you let BHNtechXpert know on the direct forums here:

»Bright House Networks Direct

These are private forums for Bright House customers to sort out issues, so posting customer info, etc. is safe there. Gary is an employee of Bright House and not a contractor through a third-party. He's helped me with several issues, and I've been happy with Bright House as a result. I will admit that I prefer to use my own equipment, so I probably avoid some of the issues you're running into. While they should be able to make their equipment work, I find being able to use my own stuff and not pay the monthly fees one of the benefits of having BHN. Best of luck to you!

Review by Michael_D See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Reliable and fast service"
Bad "Overpriced, poor "
Overall "No other choices for cable, but the service isn't bad."

As with many customers, I was surprised when my rates increased due to an expiring promotion with no notification. Supposedly they were on the paper/PDF bills but those aren't e-mailed to customers, and if you do AutoPay you never see them unless you proactively log in to their web site to check.

Once the rental fees increased on the provided (very old) cable modem, I sent it back and purchased my own Motorola Surfboard SB6141. My speeds immediately increased 5-10 Mbps with the new modem, without having any service changed.

Some time later, while moving, I switched to Lightning service since I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that was on their supported modem list (a plus for providing the list). However, they still insisted a (contractor) technician come out to do the setup. The technician seemed unskilled and in fact did not set things up correctly. I had to work through support (via this site!) to get the setup fixed when slow download speeds were the symptom.

I currently pay $54/month for standard Internet service (up from $52 when I first wrote this review) and $50/month extra for Lightning 90 Mbps service. Brighthouse still can't quite compete on speed with the other cable franchise in different areas of the city (Comcast) can get speeds at 105 Mbps, for the same price. It's unfortunate that the structure of broadband providers make Internet service so expensive and so slow in the United States, compared to the rest of the world. If I were living in Paris, I'd have a 100 Mbps fiber connection and pay US $35 per month. But that's not wholly the responsibility of Bright House, but the stagnant innovation in the space for the US.

I do not subscribe to any packages or promotions. Very disappointed that pricing is not provided on their web site, and the Indianapolis market does not allow online ordering apparently. Everything must be done the old fashioned way via telephone.

Overall, the Internet service itself is fast and reliable, but the company can be very archaic in many ways, stuck in the last century.

member for 1.5 years, 75 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thanks...

Michael please email me a copy of your statement showing the incorrect contact information that you referenced in your review and I will get it taken care of.

Review by alexkcontact See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Overall "If there is any other ISP choice in your area, go with it."

Quality of service below market standard usually, and absolutely horrific lately with frequent downtimes, interruptions and high latency periods for the last couple of months.
Attached is a snapshot of what my connection looked like for the last 3 months.

Comments:

Berges

@70.127.37.x

The email for bright house has always sucked but now they have been up and down with no service for over 4 days. Their technicians must be complete morons. Don't they understand that some of us do business via email. I highly recommend NOT using their email services

Pinging Google...

And getting responses like this isn't always an indicator of a service issue. If you are serious about having a service concern reach out to me here in our direct »Bright House Networks Direct forums and I will take a look.

twalls

join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL
·Bright House

Contact Tech Support?

It is hard to take reviews like this seriously when you don't talk about any attempts to actually resolve the issue. Could there be an issue with bad cabling/noise interference at your residence, how has tech support tried to remedy the situation, etc.? Showing a screenshot of you pinging something and occasionally not getting a response also leaves so many questions unanswered that it does little to add to the review. Is the other end of the connection having problems, is there any customer-owned equipment involved (like a separate wireless router) that might be having problems, etc.?

I've had bad experiences in the past as well, with all of the big names in the area. Most of the time, it is caused by problems with signal strength or the wiring at where I was living at the time. That said, I call support and get it fixed. The real question is what kind of support do you get in resolving the issue. That's what sets one ISP apart from the other. One place has local support and sends someone in a reasonably short amount of time. The other requires three calls to India and me having to unplug the modem before someone will finally come out. I know who I'm sticking with...

fred1963

@108.9.197.x

Goodbye brighthouse

I dropped brighthouse after i upgraded my cable speeds. I was having multiple issues, no connection. I had my computer hooked up via Ethernet cable and when i would call they were always asking about wifi. I explained it is not hooked up to wifi but the tech couldn't understand that. My upstairs RoKu box couldn't receive a signal at all; the router was about eight feet away. They told me it was because of the building construction but I am able to see my neighbors wifi? Finally switch to FIOS; no problems since day one.

Review by jhermit See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
Good "Pretty good consistent service"
Bad "If there is any service issue and you have your own modem, good luck"
Overall "Pretty happy with them with good steady service"

I have the Lighting 30 which provides 30 MBps down and 2 up. Speed tests show that I usually get that. I supply my own SB6141 which means I get next to nothing support (you have a good signal is about it.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Network experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me.

Review by TOhawk See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "?"
Bad "nickel and dime you, Recently have to pay $2 more for cheap modem"
Overall "Lack of options, ok service."

Overall ok service. I wish i had more competition in the Orlando, FL area.
Today the internet service is intermittent. Ultra Slow. Feels like 14.4k modem times....
If I had homework due today, would be in deep trouble....
Recently Brighthouse started charging $2 more monthly for a cheap modem fee.
Bad move!!
Waiting for good competition to show up in the area.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

There should be no reason why your speeds aren't up to your expectations. Please reach out to me either in our direct forums or email at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I'll be in touch with you.

Review by elcasey See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Good "Fast, reliable home service"
Bad "Expensive, Awful Support"
Overall "There's no other choice in this area, so it is what it is"

Support in general is 5terrible. Excessive hold times (usually on the order of 30-40 minutes per call), particularly with business class service (I am an IT support tech so I am constantly on the phone with them). Poor reliability at some of our business customers. They never want to admit that anything could be wrong on their end, and it is very difficult to get escalated. I had one of their techs try to tell me he was a CCNP, and in the next breath I had to explain to him what latency was ("Oh, you mean ping times?" Seriously??). Their service causes a lot of problems with VoIP, at least for the Avaya systems we deal with.

As far as my personal service, I have full cable package except for premium channels (HBO, etc) and RR Lightning 90/9. I am testing out at 100/10, however, so I'm very happy with the speed. Not too many reliability issues. I would say I have to restart my modem (which I own - Motorola Surfboard SB6141) about 1-2 times per week.

There are no other cable companies in my area (Brevard County, Florida) and this is pretty obvious when it comes to their support. Overall, I am satisfied. They need to improve their customer service, their hold times, and they need to start rolling out fiber.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you should need anything at all please don't hesitate in letting me know or simply post in our forums.

elcasey

join:2013-06-29
Palm Bay, FL

Re: Thank you....

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Re: Thank you....

said by elcasey:

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Hope so! If you ever need anything please yell out for me....
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Review by paradigmfl See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "Promised speeds received, Choice of speeds, Usually acceptable support"
Bad "Overpriced, some surly or unknowledgeable employees, watch out for extra fees, downhill trend"
Overall "Could be worse. Will probably work for you...for a price."

I have standard Roadrunner internet through Bright House Networks and have had it off and on (at times I had Earthlink with BHN) for a decade. This tier of service promises up to 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds. The current base rate is $54 + there is a $4 modem charge which you can opt out of by buying your own modem. There is also evidently a new $1"paper bill fee charged". Also be aware of the $6 late fee should that apply to you (for many it does).

I have almost always received the speeds I have been promised if not more so. Reliability has been what I would consider excellent as well although there have been a few incidents over the years where it took multiple truck rolls for them to fix the issue. The modem supplied to me was the Motorola SB6141 and this modem has likewise been excellent. I have never had any problems requesting a modem swap.

Installation is usually great although they tend to use independent contractors now. As such it seems the experience can greatly vary as they lose some consistency with the contractors. I know of relatives who have had installers who say did not know to switch a TV to cable mode from TV mode. I have also had relatives who have had installers use their phone number for the WIFI password (this is very insecure). I have also had an acquaintance who had an installer set up their WIFI without any encryption at all approximately 6 years ago. In another case an installer told a relative that there would be an additional charge to get an HD converter when at the time this was not true. Overall though they usually do a good job. I highly suggest learning about what you should be getting and becoming savvy enough to make sure the installer does what they should however. The DSL reports forums are a great place to do this and I advise that you read all you can!

Tech and customer support is mostly acceptable. Over the years I feel it has improved. Again, it tends to vary a bit though. 80% of the time you might say get someone excellent or very good, 15% of the time you might get someone who is OK or a little clueless and then the other 5% you will get someone who is horrible who does not know what they are doing or outright lies just to get you off the phone. I suggest becoming educated as to the services you receive just in case you get a bad apple. If something sounds strange I also suggest not being afraid to politely hang up and get someone else on the phone instead. It should also be mentioned that I have had a very bad experience with one BHN employee who I would consider (no exaggeration) to have been the rudest customer service person I have ever experienced in my entire life. They actually personally insulted me multiple times and did so in public. I'm not sure if I would have took the matter up the corporate ladder it would have been addressed or not but I chose to let it go.

Pricing is a bit overpriced in my opinion. I feel in competitive areas the 10/1 standard service is usually around $30 or $35. BHN charge $54 for this as it's base rate. Also Time Warner typically offers something in between the Road Runner Lite service and the Standard service for customers on a budget who want to be able to stream. BHN to my knowledge does not offer this. In addition I feel that the Lightning packages are a little pricey for what you receive. There is also this troubling trend where BHN has been increasing prices rapidly and adding on various extra fees. The latest one apparently is a $1 charge for wanting a paper billing statement.

Pre-sales information is not the greatest. They appear to hide a good portion of their pricing and it is very difficult to find online. They heavily push the combos and so-called a la carte pricing can be hard to locate. Personally I feel it is wrong for a local cable monopoly to be allowed to leverage bundled servicing to force people to use their other services or pay more but unfortunately the Florida government seems to allow it.

To end on a positive note Bright House to my knowledge does not have any monthly usage caps unlike some other providers. This is a strong plus. Hopefully this does not go away.

member for 9.1 years, 333 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by amaurib See Profile

• Location: Deland,Volusia,FL
Good "It is fast!"
Bad "Intermittent connection drop - Lots of packet loss - "
Overall "It is fast while working"

Hi I live on a apartment complex and I've been having issues with my internet and phone service since i got it installed 5 months ago. Everyday the phone and internet would drop for half or up to two hours.

It occurs at any time, sometime the internet work, but not the phone modem located on a different room.
Several tech have come to the apt and none of theme have resolved the problem. The last one that came told me that the lines coming to the apt are kind of old and that could be the cause. he said that they will come the next day to take a look and try to see if it was that... (that was a month ago and they never came).
Last week I call Customer Service and ask for an update and they then schedule another tech to come by Dec 5 between 2 and 4pm, It was almost 5 and no sounds of any BH tech in the area... i call Support again and they say that the tech wasn't able to get in to the apt complex which is a lie because the doors are completely open from 7am to 9pm. Again, they rescheduled again for Dec 11 and again no tech was in the area, and still having problems with my service.

Right now I'm thinking on switching to another isp. I'll be downgrading from 90mbps to 6mbps (DSL) but at least it will cost me half and will have a reliable service.

Here are some modem stats

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 64 627000000 Hz -6.8 dBmV 38.5 dB 5379 20387

2 Locked TDMA 1 2560 Ksym/sec 23800000 Hz 50.9 dBmV
3 Locked TDMA 2 2560 Ksym/sec 29504000 Hz 50.9 dBmV
4 Locked TDMA 3 2560 Ksym/sec 33000000 Hz 50.9 dBmV

Current System Time: Wed Dec 11 13:56:36 2013

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to share your recent BHN experience however this really isn't the place to get help for this. Instead open a direct forums thread here »Bright House Networks Direct and I will make sure it gets fixed right away.

amaurib

join:2013-02-06
Deland, FL

Thanks Gary,

Now i know.. I'll update after the issue is been taken care of.

Re: Thank you...

I gotcha...working on it now...

Review by Danimalist See Profile

• Location: Clearwater,Pinellas,FL
Good "Steady connection at the advertised speeds"
Bad "High price for the speed"
Overall "What choice do you have?"

I bought Internet service through Earthlink, which uses Brighthouse's service, citing a deal that gave me 10 down/1 up for 32.95 for the first 6 months, 44.95 for the following 6 months. This didn't go according to plan. Many hours of phone conversations and arguing were needed in order to have my account corrected. If you try to get two separate companies to work together to give you a reduced-price deal, you're gonna have a bad time.

That aside, Brighthouse's normal rate is $56 a month for 10/1 and it is a not a good deal, as any Internet search for service will demonstrate. However, living in my particular area of Clearwater, there are no competitors. This service is at least consistent and the speed is what is promised; the outages have been few and far between (2-3 in the past 1.5 years, usually only lasting a matter of hours).

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For reviewing your recent Bright House Networks experience. Please reach out to me either here in the forums or at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I will get this resolved for you.

Thanks,

Danimalist

join:2010-07-29
Clearwater, FL

Re: Thank you...

Thanks to Gary for the assistance in correcting my account payments, working with me despite my insistence that the situation was futile.

Re: Thank you...

My pleasure.... you should be all set now...
sassiegirl

join:2013-10-23
Saint Petersburg, FL
I pay for the 60 speed internet but average about 20 why should i keep paying for this? also my cable goes pixelated all the time i am really getting fed up with paying so much for things that don't work

said by sassiegirl:

You should be posting this question here »Bright House Networks or here »Bright House Networks Direct so you can get help, not on someone elses review.

Review by cyberwasp See Profile

• Location: Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "speed"
Bad "poor end user equipment"
Overall "would not recommend"

only thing they need is to purchase new equipment. My phone/modem is 8 years old and when you tap it the phone is full of noise. Brighthouse needs an overhaul from top to bottom.

Had Verizon, extremely poor tech support and follow up

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

I never received this review because it was placed in the wrong section and just moved last night. Where do you stand now? If you need anything please let me know right away.