Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by CFLTurbo See Profile

• Location: Altamonte Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "It works pretty good "
Bad "Price continues to grow and grow"
Overall "Decent internet service, but stick it to you later pricing in full effect !!!"

Originally ordered Turbo with HD TV one box no dvr

at the end of the first year price went up as expected, normal for intro pricing to go away

at the end of the 2nd year, another price hike, this was unexpected

work in private forums sales person contact, got a new package with same services that was supposed to NOT change. Now have a modem charge that I didn't before.

(To Clarify, the modem charge was removed for the November Bill since I installed my own modem, The rate increase was after the $4 modem fee was removed)

Later on Turbo disappeared, no biggie, got to add back the speed for $5 more a month for constant 30 meg instead of turbo

This was not suppose to change my price or package other than another $5 extra per month !!!

November 2014 Bill now an extra $10 a month for the same service I originally had for much less.

This not counting the $4 dollars they will add to the bill in January for the Digital adapters that are now required in central Florida.

My Bill is now approximately $40 higher than when I started for the same service.

Thinking about disconnecting the TV service to save money as this is getting ridiculous

Internet service has been decent only a few small outages over the past 4 years or so, some out of brighthouse control, (car hit pole for one)

If there was another option other than CenturyLink crappy copper I would be gone.

Bottom line, decent service but price just keeps going up and up and up and up, with no value added

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For your reviewing your recent Bright House Networks experience. Several aspects of your post troubled me so I have addressed them as follows:

1) You are not paying a $4.00 modem fee at this time. When you added your own modem there is a few days of transition while billing adds the free modem code and removes the billed code. Your statement was reflective of that transition period. The partial fee was credited back as normal and you are not currently being billed for using your own modem

2) Deanna called you per my request. She explained to you that all of our packages have an expire date. There is no such thing as a perm rate with any provider including the one you previously worked for per that discussion, we are no different from that perspective. She also located a better rate which reduces your monthly to $115.40 down from the rate quoted in your review which expire in 12 months. You are free to take advantage of any offer that becomes available in the meantime or when your current offer expires.

3) You rated support very poorly yet did not provide examples that I could research as per my request to you via IM. Please provide details there when convenient for you.

As noted in my IM I am troubled that you didn't reach out to me when this happened after our first contact. Had I known there were additional concerns they would have been addressed as they were today. Going forward before assuming the worst would much appreciate you reaching out to me as you have in the past and at least giving me a chance to investigate and remedy as needed.

Thank you....

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Re: Thank you...

Deanna explained that stick it to you later Pricing is industry standard, she admitted this. She actually used the words industry standard multiple times, so I guess you all are the same as all the other providers, modem/equipment prices will continue to go up, for below the line increases in revenue as is standard in the industry

When I originally started I had no modem charge, The second time they raised my rate, I came on here and opened a thread, you had someone contact me they put me into a package that wasn't supposed to change but had a modem fee, I accepted the offer, it started with a I believe $1 or $1.50 modem, over the course of about 2 years it made its way all the way to $4 when I had the modem charge removed last month.

What I consider Poor support.

Technical - My service was down one night, so I called, waited 20 minutes or so for Tier 1 support, messed around with them unplugging the modem and all, they needed to transfer me to Tier 2, 2nd rep comes on the phone, instantly says " They are doing maintenance in my area" . Really your frontline reps can't even pull up an Outage/Maintenance area.

2nd Tech

When I installed my own modem, The rep I got was able to program the modem fine all was good, but then he wanted to restart my laptop, I asked why, no answer, he goes so you are refusing to restart the computer, I said yes unless you can tell me why yes I am refusing. Maybe this is me being an a$$ because I have done support for a long time, but he never even asked anything about my environment, ie if I had a router etc.. so this was a little comical to me as restarting my laptop would have done nothing if the router needed to be power cycled.

Sales

I tried to resolve this issue myself twice with 2 different reps calling in. Was told by both that there was nothing they could do.

When I spoke with Deanna, she was nice, but she gave the feeling that I should feel lucky that I wasn't paying the full retail price of $150 for the services I had, I said for $150 I would cancel the TV

Also anyone with DTA's in Central Florida, price will be going up in January, me personally it will be at least $4 dollar increase because I have 2.

I will admit support via the forums has been great the issues are resolved quickly.

The internet service has been good always test at advertised speeds.

TV has worked fine as well.

It just gets old having to come on here every Year or 2 to and posting just to keep the price for the same service from going up and up.

This is just my experience YMMV

said by CFLTurbo:

The price isn't going up...you will start paying for them for the first time.

said by CFLTurbo:

The internet service has been good always test at advertised speeds.

TV has worked fine as well.

That is good to hear...

said by CFLTurbo:

The price isn't going up up up...your promotion expires and you step towards normal pricing. You may at any time take advantage of current promotions that better meet your needs.

paradigmfl

join:2005-07-16
·ooma
·Bright House

Agreed on the price issue

I completely agree about the pricing. It tends to be higher than average. The pricing is good when on a promotion but watch out afterwards!! Also it is very hard to get a promo these days when already an existing customer.

For the longest time BHN did not have a modem charge. They added it a few years ago. Since competitors are now charging $8-$10 a month for modem rental I would not be surprised if they raise it further because "they feel they can".

It is a fact that many cable ISPs are raising internet rates to make up for cable TV "cord cutters".

Re: Agreed on the price issue

Yeah when I called in they told me it was good that I got my own modem because they were going to stop supplying non wifi modems and that the modem fee was going to go up to $10 a month

said by CFLTurbo:

Sorry but that is not the case....

Re: Agreed on the price issue

ok so look at who accessed my account before Deanna and coach them ...it was a male who I spoke with on the phone after I was transferred from tech support when I got the modem I bought programmed .

That person is the one who gave me the information , correct or not

I will review the call and address as needed....

That person is the one who gave me the information , correct or not

The last person you spoke with prior to Deanna was another female and that was not discussed. If you have a better approx date that would be helpful.

Re: Agreed on the price issue

I believe the record you are looking at is from when I returned the BHN modem to the retail store.

It would have been the only other male I spoke with other than the guy the activated the modem I bought.

In regards to price its funny how Deanna kept talking about industry standard of price going up every 12 months. the very next day the I received a Flyer from the local telco about 3 year price guarantee with no contract.

Gary, I am really over the whole deal, my price is acceptable for another 12 months, it just gets old doing this every year or 2.

The service itself I am happy with, the support I receive on here from you is great

The whole price fight just gets old, it seems Para just gets tired of the price going up every year so he switches, I get it.

It just seems like if you have a customer who pays the bill every month, in good standing it would be worth it to keep them, save the extra money(They pay you right ) then to create bad reviews, customer frustration, customers bouncing back and forth between providers and extra cost( ie calls to the customer service, your time, connecting\disconnecting customers etc) than to just not raise the price.

Maybe something you or I can fix that really burns my a$$ when you guys raise the bill is all the freaking full color flyers you mail out every month. I don't know maybe there is a way to opt out of the marketing mailings, but I know they are not cheap. If need more services I will call. maybe BHN can come up with a no snail mail spam credit or something :P

and Gary most importantly don't take any of this personally, all of the support I have received from you on here has been top notch, its just standard of this industry

DeadSurvivor
Shattered Dreams
join:2013-09-03

Re: Agreed on the price issue

When I tried to lower my cable bill awhile back due to price hikes/increases, I was told by two different Customer Service Reps that I was still receiving a promo, albeit nearly $10.00 more per month. Eventually after numerous calls, I got the price lowered but the following month, the modem fee kicked in and months later, saw a rise once again ... On top of paying $8.00 per set-top box (I have two boxes which equals $16.00). Add in the $4.00 modem charge currently in place, I am paying $20.00 per month for what, at once time, was included with bundles at no extra charge. Each set-top is over 10 years old, it doesn't feel right paying $8.00x2 for 10+ year old equipment (or is it the norm?) ... Just something on my mind.
Goldust (FanPage) / B-Movie Trailers

Review by neonhomer See Profile

• Location: Edgewater,Volusia,FL
Good "Reliable connection 99% of the time..."
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Better than DSL or Sattelite"

BHN is better than most other options. No rain fade, no contracts, and for the most part, the connectivity is rock solid...

Also, access to tech support through DSLR is a plus.

My only complaint is their pricing.

member for 10.9 years, 2973 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sofast1 See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "reliability"
Bad "The worst customer service possible. No one cares less about their customers."
Overall "If there was an alternative, I'd take it."

Bright House changed their pay online system. The result is that those who have more than one account can only access one single account. After hours on hold, I was told it would be fixed this weekend. Never Happened. Today I was told I would have to get a second email address for the second account. I said that was ridiculous. She said some guy in charge would call me. Never happened. Now I can't access either of my accounts online. I can see hours wasted on this again tomorrow. It's clear that they never ran a "beta". It's clear that whoever wrote the change should try to find something he's good at. It's clear that the person responsible for approving the change should be fired. It's clear that if they can't fix it in a week, these blockheads don't have a clue. High -tech company my ass.

WHAT'S REALLY CLEAR IS THAT WITH PHONES THAT NEVER GET ANSWERED,LIVE CHAT THAT NEVER WORKS,EMAILS THAT TAKE 'TIL THE NEXT DAY TO GET A REPLY,A PRESIDENT'S OFFICE THAT THINKS IT'S OKAY TO RESPOND TWO DAYS LATER.......BRIGHT HOUSE DOESN'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT IT'S CUSTOMERS. THEY'RE LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH WHEN THEY CALL YOU FRIEND.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For sharing your recent Bright House Networks experience. Now you found this site which means you know about our forums and direct forums here but have yet to give them a try to resolve these issues. Perhaps this would be a good time You may post here »Bright House Networks or for a one to one experience here »Bright House Networks Direct

Look forward to seeing you there...

sofast1

join:2011-12-14

Give them a try?

This has been going on for a week. They said it would be fixed last weekend. How can anyone give them a try when it takes 45 minutes to get a human on the phone or 24 hours to get an email reply? The fact that the president's office takes two days to respond proves that the worst possible customer service starts at the top. They created a problem where there was none and can't seem to fix it.

Review by genebopp See Profile

• Location: Winter Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "There is none. They make comcast look good."
Bad "The have come to my house 18 times in 3 years."
Overall "They cant make the equipment work"

Bright house is the worst utility that i have ever had. The service is flakey, customers service takes for ever. Each time they come to my house the tech says "not my job" and has to send a different guy. They use contractors for everything and the real BH guy only show up for trouble shooting, but performs no work. So next week you get to wait for a different guy. The most common thing that happens is the contractor claims you weren't home so he left. They have said that twice while I was standing in the drive way cleaning my car.... TWICE. The phone people are full of promises but they cant make their stuff work. If there is any alternative in your area take that!!!

Comments:

twalls

join:2014-06-11

1 recommendation

Direct Forums

I've had a couple of bad techs as well. If you still have specific issues that need fixing, I'd advise you let BHNtechXpert know on the direct forums here:

»Bright House Networks Direct

These are private forums for Bright House customers to sort out issues, so posting customer info, etc. is safe there. Gary is an employee of Bright House and not a contractor through a third-party. He's helped me with several issues, and I've been happy with Bright House as a result. I will admit that I prefer to use my own equipment, so I probably avoid some of the issues you're running into. While they should be able to make their equipment work, I find being able to use my own stuff and not pay the monthly fees one of the benefits of having BHN. Best of luck to you!

Review by Michael_D See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Reliable and fast service"
Bad "Overpriced, poor "
Overall "No other choices for cable, but the service isn't bad."

As with many customers, I was surprised when my rates increased due to an expiring promotion with no notification. Supposedly they were on the paper/PDF bills but those aren't e-mailed to customers, and if you do AutoPay you never see them unless you proactively log in to their web site to check.

Once the rental fees increased on the provided (very old) cable modem, I sent it back and purchased my own Motorola Surfboard SB6141. My speeds immediately increased 5-10 Mbps with the new modem, without having any service changed.

Some time later, while moving, I switched to Lightning service since I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that was on their supported modem list (a plus for providing the list). However, they still insisted a (contractor) technician come out to do the setup. The technician seemed unskilled and in fact did not set things up correctly. I had to work through support (via this site!) to get the setup fixed when slow download speeds were the symptom.

I currently pay $54/month for standard Internet service (up from $52 when I first wrote this review) and $50/month extra for Lightning 90 Mbps service. Brighthouse still can't quite compete on speed with the other cable franchise in different areas of the city (Comcast) can get speeds at 105 Mbps, for the same price. It's unfortunate that the structure of broadband providers make Internet service so expensive and so slow in the United States, compared to the rest of the world. If I were living in Paris, I'd have a 100 Mbps fiber connection and pay US $35 per month. But that's not wholly the responsibility of Bright House, but the stagnant innovation in the space for the US.

I do not subscribe to any packages or promotions. Very disappointed that pricing is not provided on their web site, and the Indianapolis market does not allow online ordering apparently. Everything must be done the old fashioned way via telephone.

Overall, the Internet service itself is fast and reliable, but the company can be very archaic in many ways, stuck in the last century.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thanks...

Michael please email me a copy of your statement showing the incorrect contact information that you referenced in your review and I will get it taken care of.

Review by alexkcontact See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Overall "If there is any other ISP choice in your area, go with it."

Quality of service below market standard usually, and absolutely horrific lately with frequent downtimes, interruptions and high latency periods for the last couple of months.
Attached is a snapshot of what my connection looked like for the last 3 months.

Comments:

Berges

@70.127.37.x

The email for bright house has always sucked but now they have been up and down with no service for over 4 days. Their technicians must be complete morons. Don't they understand that some of us do business via email. I highly recommend NOT using their email services

Pinging Google...

And getting responses like this isn't always an indicator of a service issue. If you are serious about having a service concern reach out to me here in our direct »Bright House Networks Direct forums and I will take a look.

twalls

join:2014-06-11

Contact Tech Support?

It is hard to take reviews like this seriously when you don't talk about any attempts to actually resolve the issue. Could there be an issue with bad cabling/noise interference at your residence, how has tech support tried to remedy the situation, etc.? Showing a screenshot of you pinging something and occasionally not getting a response also leaves so many questions unanswered that it does little to add to the review. Is the other end of the connection having problems, is there any customer-owned equipment involved (like a separate wireless router) that might be having problems, etc.?

I've had bad experiences in the past as well, with all of the big names in the area. Most of the time, it is caused by problems with signal strength or the wiring at where I was living at the time. That said, I call support and get it fixed. The real question is what kind of support do you get in resolving the issue. That's what sets one ISP apart from the other. One place has local support and sends someone in a reasonably short amount of time. The other requires three calls to India and me having to unplug the modem before someone will finally come out. I know who I'm sticking with...

fred1963

@108.9.197.x

Goodbye brighthouse

I dropped brighthouse after i upgraded my cable speeds. I was having multiple issues, no connection. I had my computer hooked up via Ethernet cable and when i would call they were always asking about wifi. I explained it is not hooked up to wifi but the tech couldn't understand that. My upstairs RoKu box couldn't receive a signal at all; the router was about eight feet away. They told me it was because of the building construction but I am able to see my neighbors wifi? Finally switch to FIOS; no problems since day one.

Review by jhermit See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
Good "Pretty good consistent service"
Bad "If there is any service issue and you have your own modem, good luck"
Overall "Pretty happy with them with good steady service"

I have the Lighting 30 which provides 30 MBps down and 2 up. Speed tests show that I usually get that. I supply my own SB6141 which means I get next to nothing support (you have a good signal is about it.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Network experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me.

Review by TOhawk See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "?"
Bad "nickel and dime you, Recently have to pay $2 more for cheap modem"
Overall "Lack of options, ok service."

Overall ok service. I wish i had more competition in the Orlando, FL area.
Today the internet service is intermittent. Ultra Slow. Feels like 14.4k modem times....
If I had homework due today, would be in deep trouble....
Recently Brighthouse started charging $2 more monthly for a cheap modem fee.
Bad move!!
Waiting for good competition to show up in the area.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent BHN experience...

There should be no reason why your speeds aren't up to your expectations. Please reach out to me either in our direct forums or email at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com and I'll be in touch with you.

Review by elcasey See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Good "Fast, reliable home service"
Bad "Expensive, Awful Support"
Overall "There's no other choice in this area, so it is what it is"

Support in general is 5terrible. Excessive hold times (usually on the order of 30-40 minutes per call), particularly with business class service (I am an IT support tech so I am constantly on the phone with them). Poor reliability at some of our business customers. They never want to admit that anything could be wrong on their end, and it is very difficult to get escalated. I had one of their techs try to tell me he was a CCNP, and in the next breath I had to explain to him what latency was ("Oh, you mean ping times?" Seriously??). Their service causes a lot of problems with VoIP, at least for the Avaya systems we deal with.

As far as my personal service, I have full cable package except for premium channels (HBO, etc) and RR Lightning 90/9. I am testing out at 100/10, however, so I'm very happy with the speed. Not too many reliability issues. I would say I have to restart my modem (which I own - Motorola Surfboard SB6141) about 1-2 times per week.

There are no other cable companies in my area (Brevard County, Florida) and this is pretty obvious when it comes to their support. Overall, I am satisfied. They need to improve their customer service, their hold times, and they need to start rolling out fiber.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you should need anything at all please don't hesitate in letting me know or simply post in our forums.

elcasey

join:2013-06-29
Palm Bay, FL

Re: Thank you....

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Re: Thank you....

said by elcasey:

Thanks, Gary! I've gotten some good information from your forum posts before.

Hope so! If you ever need anything please yell out for me....

Review by amaurib See Profile

• Location: Deland,Volusia,FL
Good "It is fast!"
Bad "Intermittent connection drop - Lots of packet loss - "
Overall "It is fast while working"

Hi I live on a apartment complex and I've been having issues with my internet and phone service since i got it installed 5 months ago. Everyday the phone and internet would drop for half or up to two hours.

It occurs at any time, sometime the internet work, but not the phone modem located on a different room.
Several tech have come to the apt and none of theme have resolved the problem. The last one that came told me that the lines coming to the apt are kind of old and that could be the cause. he said that they will come the next day to take a look and try to see if it was that... (that was a month ago and they never came).
Last week I call Customer Service and ask for an update and they then schedule another tech to come by Dec 5 between 2 and 4pm, It was almost 5 and no sounds of any BH tech in the area... i call Support again and they say that the tech wasn't able to get in to the apt complex which is a lie because the doors are completely open from 7am to 9pm. Again, they rescheduled again for Dec 11 and again no tech was in the area, and still having problems with my service.

Right now I'm thinking on switching to another isp. I'll be downgrading from 90mbps to 6mbps (DSL) but at least it will cost me half and will have a reliable service.

Here are some modem stats

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 64 627000000 Hz -6.8 dBmV 38.5 dB 5379 20387

3 Locked TDMA 2 2560 Ksym/sec 29504000 Hz 50.9 dBmV
4 Locked TDMA 3 2560 Ksym/sec 33000000 Hz 50.9 dBmV

Current System Time: Wed Dec 11 13:56:36 2013

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to share your recent BHN experience however this really isn't the place to get help for this. Instead open a direct forums thread here »Bright House Networks Direct and I will make sure it gets fixed right away.

amaurib

join:2013-02-06
Deland, FL

Thanks Gary,

Now i know.. I'll update after the issue is been taken care of.

Re: Thank you...

I gotcha...working on it now...