Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick setup, courteous customer service, solid speed/low latencies"
Bad "Limited list of allowed customer-owned modems, no integrated MoCA networking"
Overall "Bright House offers a solid cable product"

April 2014: Moved into a brand new house in a new neighborhood and ordered FiOS. After 8 months, got tired of Verizon's bill creep and the difficulty of getting customer service to fix internet connectivity issues. Verizon's truck rolls can cost as much as a month's worth of service! Decided to give Bright House a chance on the recommendation of several neighbors. An advantage to having a new neighborhood is having new cabling…the service has been rock solid so far!

Ordered their $99 Digital Cable/30 MB bundle. Took a few calls to the extremely helpful customer service to handle a couple of issues…

1. The WiFi channel used by BHN's router caused issues, but was promptly changed with a single call.

2. Had some initial connection drop issues which were remedied by upgrading the modem's firmware.

Adding HD cable boxes ($8/mo) and another cable outlet ($40) were easy and much less expensive than with Verizon. There is a $1/mo RSN fee, but it is less than Verizon's which is over $2/mo…and I watch the RSNs a lot. I really like BHN's Auto HD and Start Over. The availability of Bay News 9 is nice, along with the ability to watch many channels on all kinds of devices within the range of my house's WiFi signal.

The only complaint I have is the lack of a MoCA networking option built into any of Bright House's modem list options. I had MoCA with FiOS and would love to install a Motorola SBG6782-AC. I grabbed one for my parents who use Comcast and it works very well. ..please get this modem added to your list.

member for 7.2 years, 1431 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by gigahurtz See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Consistent connection, good quality phone service, excellent customer service."
Bad "Bundle prices a bit high, equipment technology not as good as satellite."
Overall "Overall great company, excellent customer service, adding features/services all the time."

++UPDATE: 4/11/14

PROS-
Excellent customer service.
One company for many services.
Consistent internet connection.
Great phone reliability.
HD guide
Whole house DVR service works well

CONS-
Equipment always seems a bit behind, would love to see more tuners.
Pricing is more than I would like to be paying (limited competition in my area).

It's been over seven years since I updated my review of Brighthouse. Over the past seven years I switched away for a period of time to DirecTV. I ended up back to the triple play bundle and I am pleased. The quality of my service is better than the rest. I'd love to see some more flexibility in pricing and would also love to see the higher speed packages a bit cheaper (currently on Lightning 30). Overall, I am very pleased with Brighthouse Networks and would highly recommend to anyone looking for their services. They aren't perfect, but they work hard to try and be.

++UPDATE: 2/25/07

I recently made the switch back to POTS (Bellsouth/AT&T) due to many call quality/reliability issues with my Brighthouse line. I had them come out a few times but it seems to be a problem in the area (too many customers in a short period of time). I spoke with several people who have their service and they were frustrated as well.

Problems I had:

1. Sometimes didn't get a dial tone when picking up my phone.
2. People didn't hear me but I heard them.
3. Not as reliable as Brighthouse claims.
4. Echo

I won't be switching back as i'm happy with Bellsouth. I was able to get a great deal since i'm switching from Brighthouse.

++UPDATE: 5/5/06

Just recently, Brighthouse unveiled a "Unlimited Florida" plan which gave you unlimited calls to anywhere in Florida (instead of the entire US). This works perfectly for me and it's only $28.99 a month. I use my cell phone for long distance calls so I didn't need it on the phone. It dropped my bill from $39.99 to $28.99. Service has continued to be flawless and I am slowly converting family to Digital Phone. I was a VoicePulse customer and it doesn't even compare (VP was good but Digital Phone is great).

If it's available, get it!

-----------------

I decided to make the switch from VoicePulse to Brighthouse Digital Phone and couldn't be happier. My main problem with VoicePulse was 1) E-911 was non-existent in my area (and they didn't know when it would be available) and 2) I was having serious call quality issues with 50% of my upload being used (QoS enabled, ports forwarded, etc).

My Brighthouse Digital Phone has been excellent quality and very reliable. I have had no problems what so ever, installation was a snap and porting was very quick. I couldn't ask for a better overall experience activating my service.

I would recommend Brighthouse to anyone who is in the market for a good, reliable VoIP. As a primary phone line, you just can't go with the little guys.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience Gigahurtz. As always if you need anything let me know.

Review by jwt0001 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "Great speeds and good technical support"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Gives me the Internet I want!"

I started with the 50 MB plan, but moved up to 90 MB as soon as it was offered. I was very happy with the speed change and find the service definitely worth the money. My only small complaint relates to the cable side. Since the DVR only allows 2 streams, recording has been a challenge, particularly with two people in the house.

I definitely will stay with Bright House, as long as they are an option for me!

member for 23 days, 11 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Noah Vail See Profile

• Location: Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "Very Reliable - Good on-call techs - Over 100% of advertised speeds"
Bad "Biz service expensive"
Overall "BH is an excellent company and better than most ISPs."

After 10 happy years, this is my final review for Bright House Internet.
(even though I still offer BH as an option to my Biz customers)

If you live in the Tampa/Orlando area, here's why Bright House could be a GOOD choice for you.

1) Service is highly reliable, in the short and long term.
I monitor internet+log internet quality and know when service is sub-par.
Aside from very infrequent maintenance windows (~20min, usually @ 3AM), service is consistently ~100% quality.

2) Performance is good, especially for a cable provider.
I host mail, remote desktop, VPN and Minecraft servers on BH. My pings between my local and public gateways avg a bit under 10ms.
I consistently get over 100% of advertised speed

3) Bright House doesn't cap, throttle or limit traffic.
I've never had ports limited, including any SMTP.
I've never had bandwidth throttled, including bittorrent.

Bright House has no caps, period. My usage has surpassed 1.2TB/month.

4) Good BH technicians. They tend to show up on time.
I've noticed that BH is outsourcing service calls to a 3rd party. Those techs are OK at what they do.
However genuine BH techs are much more adept at solving technical issues.

5) No contracts required for residential service.
Oh yea.

6) Bright House is an ethical company, a compliment I rarely offer.
Unlike most ISPs, BH doesn't have a history of rampant anti-consumerism.
Also - the few times my local BH office wasn't up to par, an advocate at the BH HQ (Syracuse) stepped in and immediately resolved my issues.

7) Geeky stuff:
BH supports IPv6
Upload rates went from 2Mb to 10Mb over the last few years.
BH works with whatever router I want to use and allows their modem to operate as a "dumb modem".
I can switch my dynamic public IP w/o having to call BH to break my DHCP lease.

So - with so many good points, why am I switching my home from Bright House?
Cost.
"Big Red Evil" will give my 35/up for $70/mo (for 1 yr, $90/mo for 2nd year).
Contrary to ISP talking points, I really need outbound.

- Here's where else Bright House could use some improvement.

1) Biz Class service is expensive, can be difficult to price and is even more expensive if you refuse 3 year contracts.

Biz Service is expensive compared to similar residential tiers.
It's also expensive compared to similar (or faster) tiers by the competition.

After years of refusing to do so, BH is finally posting some Biz class pricing on the web.
It's incomplete though and you may still be forced to spend valuable time with the sometimes confused sales team.

When I say Biz class pricing is expensive, I mean with a 3 (!) year contract.
If you want to forgo the contract, the cost difference alone is nearly enough to pay for service from a competitor.

Caveat:
I have Biz customers where the only competition to Bright House is DSL on bad copper or a T1.
In those cases we gladly pay BH Biz pricing and are grateful BH is there for us.

2) Not sure if this is still a problem but:
Time between activation of my BH residential phone and a slew of solicitors calling me (BY MY NAME) on that line = 1 day.

I got a BH phone for free w/ my residential internet package.
The dozens of daily spam calls made it unusable as an incoming line. Instead, I pay for VoIP service that never distributed my phone number to any marketing-connected biz.

I think that's it for the negative column.

Considering the good+bad together, Bright House ranks very well.
Of the the 10 largest cable providers in the US, Bright House is easily the best.

member for 9.3 years, 2809 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fa

@wayport.net

Bad Policy from Bh.

mad:The customer service is very arrogant,I can beleive that as they think they are the fastest service they have the bad policy that if somebody live with u in same address and move out u can't require the service under same address, That's nonsense!.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
·Bright House

Re: Bad Policy from Bh.

That's not just a Brighthouse issue. Lots of utilities (including ISPs) are like that.
However, I agree it's bad policy.

Which market are you in? Have you tried to escalate the issue?
Sometimes all it takes is hanging up on bad reps, until you reach someone who's willing to help you.

NV
Adopting other people's animosity is The New Stupid.

Review by airwingjim See Profile

• Location: Clearwater,Pinellas,FL
Good "Very happy (Best deal in Clearwater) 100Mbps/10Mbps Best deal that's available to me at this location."
Overall "If you have $40. extra p/mo. bump up to the 100/10, it is worth it."

(Best deal in Clearwater) $105.00 per/mo. - No Contract. Bright House RoadRunner top tier available. Completely happy with my company. I run my desk top and 2 lap tops. Movies are downloaded in 2 to 10 seconds. Gaming is wonderful. It's expensive but for a retired old fart that spends several hours a day online, it's worth it.

Several more hours are spent watching movies on Netflix, Amazon, etc. (Never a slow down even with laptops in use.)

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me via our forums.

Review by ebenezer See Profile

• Location: Hudson,Pasco,FL
Good "Solid Connection - Above Advertised Speeds"
Bad "Too Expensive - Equipment Fee Increase"
Overall "Great Broadband Connection"

Consistently get 70 Mbps down and close to 6 Mbps up. These speeds are somewhat higher than what they advertise. Was able to get the user name and password for my cable modem via tech support after a somewhat comprehensive and lengthy identification process (this is a GOOD thing). Compared to a year ago, the phone support seems to be better than what it once was. Support personnel are either better trained or BHN did some house cleaning.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reviewing your recent Bright House experience!

If you need anything please let me know...

ebenezer

join:2013-03-14
Hudson, FL

Re: Thank you for reviewing your recent Bright House experience!

Review by azvarych See Profile

• Location: Debary,Volusia,FL
Good "Our neighborhood has relatively few broadband users, the node is not heavily loaded, so our speeds are good. Very reliable."
Bad "A bit more expensive than I'd like to be paying; could get Verizon wireless for about $20/mo less, but subject to caps."
Overall "Fairly content with BHN. Waiting for more serious competition (I don't consider DSL as being competitive)."

BHN offers a bundled cable/phone/Internet service for new subscribers. The price I listed is approximately for the Internet service. My total monthly bill is about $160/month for Digital cable (with no special channels) and Internet. Historically, BHN hasn't liked to negotiate down with existing customers. I will say that the BHN customer service is good for issues that may occur within a house or business. Consistent bandwidth availability has been good in my area.

If a business or residence has a VoIP phone service with a history of dropped packets (choppy audio on the inbound or outbound side), or even dropped calls, BHN is very reluctant to send out their network specialists to ensure their outside cable plant is intact. They will always assume the problems are in-home or at the business. Took me 4 calls with 4 BHN trucks at my house the last time for BHN to convince itself that what I was saying was true - that the VoIP issues I was having was not related to wiring issues in my home/home office, but out on the BHN network. If you have BHN as an ISP but use someone else for VoIP (such as Vonage), there will be a lot of finger pointing if you have dropped packets or dropped calls. This can be time consuming and quite frustrating (the reason for four different calls and finally getting the BHN armada at the house for team consensus). Getting BHN to provide the 3P services (TV/Internet/Voice) puts the onus on BHN to get it right, but unfortunately the user might need to switch to BHN for all the services to force the issue.

Bottom line, Bright House Networks in my area (Debary FL) has fairly good customer service, its cable plant here in my area has been recently inspected and maintained (after many phone calls and being home for the tech visits), so my results are OK. I will be working on negotiating a better contract with BHN, as paying $160/month for 20MB/sec Internet and digital cable (no HBO, CINEMAX, ShowTime, sports plans, etc.) is too pricy (I don't have a home VoIP or land line). Still - the unlimited usage and good attentive customer service is tough to beat.

As far as the "Fair Warning" goes, that I just signed up, yes that is true, but I'm also here to stay, and my testimony in this post is true regardless of how long I've been a member.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent BHN experience. In answer to your middle paragraph about reluctance to send techs for this, that or the other thing I beg to differ. We have the capability to diagnose most everything that could possibly impact your VOIP service and absent detecting an issue that's impactful on our network it would be pointless to send a tech. If any issue was detected we freely dispatch techs at your convenience. That said you also have plenty of resources available to you in our forums here. I must note you have never engaged me for support on your VOIP or any other issue for that matter so going forward I invite you to do so....

Gary...
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

azvarych

join:2014-02-10
USA
·Bright House

Re: Thank you...

Thanks for the comment. The VoIP issues occured about three years ago at my home office. As I mentioned, when BHN finally sent the OSP specialist out, he found and corrected cable plant issues. VoIP was as rock-solid as could be expected after his fixes. Even though I attempted to convince the BHN customer support persons through several calls that the problem wasn't inside my home/home office, it wasn't until I escalated that BHN sent the right person out to diagnose and fix the problem. (I did all the house data wiring myself, having been a network engineer with BICSI/RCDD training and experience, and having Telcordia grounding/bonding certification).

We have since closed our home office and moved completely to cellular. If you are offering help on VoIP issues, though, I will reach out to you as we have VoIP issues here in Winter Springs at our office, with BHN being our ISP.

By the way, I'm not attempting to slam BHN. If you look at my ratings, you'll find I rated BHN relatively high. I know VoIP service is very demanding, not from a bandwidth perspective, but from a prioritization standpoint. I was just sharing my real world experiences. Thanks for your reply.

Re: Thank you...

Totally understood....going forward you have me a resource....please feel free to tap me anytime.

Review by John97 See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Hernando,FL
Good "Speed consistently tests higher, solid connection. Support has been great."
Bad "Issues with original installed equipment, which have been resolved."
Overall "After a few hiccups, happy with my service"

·ooma
I signed up for Brighthouse RoadRunner 40/5 internet with digital phone service. I had initial internet connection issues, which were resolved by a software update of the integrated UBEE router/modem/phone device. However, we started having issues with the phone service. A tech came out and said that the integrated devices have been a problem and he replaced it with two units. I now have an Arris unit which handles the phone service and another Ubee device which handles the internet connection. Everything works perfectly now. I get 46/6 consistently on speed tests.

Update: I upgraded to 60/5 Lightning some time ago. It works very well. Recently, I dropped the Brighthouse phone in favor of Ooma and am considering upgrading to the 90/10 service.

Update #2: I went ahead and dropped the Brighthouse phone service to eliminate the modem rental fees, as I now have my own modem. I ported my phone number to Ooma and bumped my service to the 90/10 tier. It's a perfect solution for me.

member for 13.4 years, 3674 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

1 recommendation

John,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by xXDigitalXx See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "The Good, is that after we fixed everything, its been pretty stable, im maxing out at 100+ downsteam, for being the last pole "
Bad "they can open up the upstream to make it more balanced instead of having to push data to you"
Overall "I like the servie, i been with them since they developed there infranstructure"

I was one of BHN / RR's first customers, since the neighborhood meetings, have been upgrading every since they have new internet product update, im one of the first to upgrade. I know that we had problems since we are the last pole on the network, and had a bunch of techs level and engineers come out to fix it, but once it was fixed, it has been stable.

When I speak to a tech I bypass entry level techs, because they just annoy me now, but to the common customer, they do their purpose and they do it well.

Comments:

Review by telijah See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Excellent and reliable speeds"
Bad "Price a bit high"
Overall "Very solid service, period!"

I've been a Bright House customer since 2001. Until recently, I always used the basic Internet packages available and service was sometimes mediocre at best, but I never really attempted to contact support for resolving. Since the beginning of 2013 I've gone to the 60/5 plan and now the 90/10 plan. While the price seems a tad on the high side, my connection is extremely reliable and I regularly have speeds testing about 10% higher than my advertised rates (hitting 100mbps down and 11mbps up on a 90/10 plan). Support via the normal methods is sometimes shoddy, but support via their employee here on DSLReports is second to NONE. BHNTechXpert (Gary) is hands down their greatest asset on this forum and is a model for what support personnel know beyond first level.

All in all, I will not be trading my service any time soon. Thanks for the excellent product thus far BHN.

member for 363 days, 355 visits, last login: a few hours ago