Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Bright House Networks page on DSLReports

Review by GeNomer See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Pretty good speed for cable internet, significant increase in reliability over the last 2 years. Friendly support staff."
Bad "It is a bit pricey, but not uncompetitively so. Limited by Hybrid Fiber-Coax topology."
Overall "Overall leagues ahead of any other provider in the Indianapolis area. Still has room for improvement though."

I've had Bright House for just shy of 3 years. I stared out TV and Internet. I currently have just internet. As with any Cable or phone provider, advertised rates fail to include equipment, taxes, franchise fees, etc... Best way to get and accurate monthly rate is to call and ask. Base rates, taxes and franchise fees typically will vary depending on location, so if you call and tell them your address and what services you are interested in specifically, they can calculate an accurate quote.

Original order had a mistake that the installer caught. He was able to call in and get someone to correct things on my account. I was VERY impressed with the installer and all subsequent technicians that have been out in the last 3 years. Bright House will use a mixture of in-house technicians employed by them and contractors for jobs. Typically simpler things will be assigned to contractors and more difficult issues or jobs will be given to in-house guys. I've had several of both out and they were all great.

Customer service and tech support are pretty good. They seem very friendly when I call them, although all the scripted small talk stuff is pretty tiresome. If you have a technical issue, especially with internet or phone, I recommend requesting to speak with their Tier 3 support. Customer service and lower tech support reps are very friendly and they try their best, but really aren't capable to help much.

TV service is very improved over the last few years. When I was first installed, there were moderate problems stemming from antiquated equipment and problems with return signal on their network. I was installed with a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR. It is from 2003. They still use these and I highly recommend that if you get one that you demand a newer model. They may resist, but you have to be insistent. The 8300's are junk. All of my video service issues went away when I got mine swapped for a Cisco 8600 HD-DVR. I also tried out their 6 tuner Arris DCX3600M DVR (advertised as e-DVR or enhanced DVR). I would recommend this if you watch a lot of shows that air at the same time. Channel selection is top-notch. I could nit-pick about a few obscure channels that I'd have liked to see, but I understand that the cost of BHN adding them to their lineup would probably not be justifiable.

Price for TV service is brutal. I'm sorry, but it is. It is competitive with other TV providers, and I don't feel like BHN and other providers are really at much fault for this, but my main gripe is the way BHN and many other providers approach it. The biggest culprit is re-transmission fees, which local channels will charge to carriers. You will see this on your bill as Local Broadcast Fee and Regional Sports Fee. These fees are the reason I dropped my TV service. They are listed as fees instead of services so that they are not subject to promotional rates. So BHN can and will increase your bill even though you may be locked into a promotional rate for 1 or 2 years. I understand that their carriage costs go up all the time and understand when the price for services gets raised, but sneaking in rate increases as "fees" really rubbed me the wrong way.

Internet service is very good. BHN makes a very good effort to constantly improve throughput, latency, and reliability on their network. In my first year with the service I had a few issues, mostly caused by outages on their network. This has improved significantly, especially in the last year. Reliability is leagues better than anything I've experienced before and is probably the thing I am most impressed with on their service. When I first got service in 2012 the highest throughput they offered was 40mbps download and they currently offer 150. On the other hand, their offerings for upload are very lacking with 10mbps as the best they can do currently. Online gaming will suck up that bandwidth, especially on the latest generation of consoles with the options they have for broadcasting gameplay. It's a flaw in the Hybrid Fiber Coax network that most cable companies use, including BHN, and something that really compares negatively to fiber to the home providers out there.

Latency on their network is good for a cable provider, typically between 10 and 30ms in network, again not up to scratch with an all fiber network. Of course anything goes once it’s out of BHN’s network, but there usually isn’t much they can do for that. It should be noted that there are not any widely available fiber providers in Indianapolis and that BHN latency compares very favorably with other Indianapolis providers. Currently, a lot of BHN internet traffic will use the Time Warner Cable backbone, so take that as you will.

BHN rental modems are good but not great. I’ve had a Ubee DVW3201B, Motorola SBG6580 and an Arris DG1670. If you will be renting equipment, I recommend the Arris, unless you need port forwarding or use VPN on your computer, in which case the Motorola is far superior. The Arris was 802.11 N dual band, while the Motorola and Ubee were 802.11 N single band. I currently use my own modem and router.

Pricing on BHN internet seems high as well. It’s expensive but very good. If you know what you’re doing you can save $10 a month by buying your own modem and router. Modem rental is $4. If you plan on using your own modem, check their website or call and ask to make sure it’s compatible. If you do not know how a router works or how to set it up, they do offer a very good wireless service for $6 a month. They can even add in extra access points, but I never tried this because my house is pretty small. So yes, their internet is pricey, but you get what you pay for and in my experience with BHN you are paying for very good, reliable internet service and very helpful, very friendly and very fast tech support.

Also, if you need tech support, they have a tech monitor the DSL reports Bright House forums and he is very good. Shout out to BHNtechXpert!

Comments:

Review by compaqrat See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "great service and speed"
Overall " U-verse cant compete"

Have had service with Brighthouse for as long as I can remember. Except for the rare outage, I can only give the high marks.

member for 11 years, 891 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rebus9 See Profile

• Location: New Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "Extremely reliable and get full advertised speed any time of day."
Bad "FIOS smokes them on speed."
Overall "If you can't get FIOS, this is your next best choice in the Tampa Bay area. No hesitation recommending it to family and friends."

I've had Road Runner continuously since early 2002 and speaking as a power user who uses the connection for everything-- surfing, Netflix streaming, Vonage phone, telecommuting, etc-- it's been remarkably stable and reliable. When RR's main competition was only Verizon DSL, they aggressively raised speeds periodically at no extra charge, just to "one-up" Verizon for bragging rights. Ever since FIOS came to town it seems RR just gave up and is happy playing second fiddle. Last year I subscribed to FIOS because of the higher speeds, but I've kept the Road Runner connection as a backup since I telecommute and can't be without internet service during the workday. Call it cheap insurance. Bottom line is, if you can't get FIOS or just hate Verizon that much, Road Runner from Brighthouse Networks Tampa Bay in an excellent choice. Also, if you have a customer support issue, it's infinitely easier to get in touch with a RR support tech than it is to plod through Verizon's endless menu trees and holding queues. FIOS gives you the best speeds in town but are more expensive. RR gives you lower priced packages and more accessible phone support.

member for 13 years, 2077 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Boilermaker See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Price, tech support, good speeds"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "Competitive pricing and support inside and outside of building"

It has been awhile since I got service with Bright House, so I do not recall details about the setup. I do remember that it was fairly painless with some trouble with the modem setup at first. That trouble was due to having static IP's but in the wrong Bright House subnet for it to route correctly. That was fixed long ago, and I was happy.

Over several months, I have been noticing issues with connections (TCP). A connection would drop suddenly in mid stream without a reset (RST) being sent by the modem. That would leave a connection hanging until a timeout was reached. I tried to isolate it within my internal network which has a lot of stuff on it. I typically look at my own setup (or code) before looking at others.

However, I tried as best as I could without luck, so I asked the on-line tech here at DSL Reports to check if my modem was having problems. The modem was showing through SNMP a large number of IP packet discards, which indicated buffer issues according to documentation I could find. He looked into it and found some odd problems that the modem was reporting. That is when he arranged for a tech to come to investigate.

I could go into detail about everything that needed to be done, but I thought it easier to list them and fixes made:

- Line to house had some issues. Previous owner had uninsulated coax in the ground. New line to house was laid. The cable no longer went nearly halfway around the house to be split and double-back half of that distance to come into the house.

- Modem was seeing more issues on the line than were even there. Old Netgear CGD24CPR was replaced with an SMCD3GN.

- Phone modem (MTA) was switch from using an external cable into the house to using an internal one. This was not to fix anything, but I needed to do it.

Results:

- No more mysterious connection drops.

- A download at full speed does not cause large delays for other connections. In other words, someone can go to a web site without having to wait up to a minute for the page to finish loading.

- A large amount of ugly cable on the side of the house will soon be gone when I find time to remove it.

- No charge for the fixes.

Speaking of prices, before I moved into this house, I had assumed it was in Comcast territory, so I had called them for prices. For the services I have (business account, static IP's and phone), I would have had to pay approximately $25 more per month. Also, I heard from a tech that fixes in the house would have cost $100 on the service fee for a business account ($50 for residence).

member for 13.2 years, 844 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TomScott See Profile

• Location: Oviedo,Seminole,FL
Good "Finally, super reliable Lighting 60 service"
Bad "It took a month to get it fixed. "
Overall "I'm in my happy place again. 65Mb/s on 5.0 GHz Wireless 24 x 7"

I started having download speed trouble with DirecTV movies. I had Road Runner Lighting 30, but barely getting 10 Mb/s. On Sunday evenings, it was 2 Mb/s and taking two hours to download the first hour of a movie.

I contact tech support and upgrade to 60 at the same time, but it's got to work. No problem I was told. I guy came out with a new Motorola modem. I tested it at 60+ via Ethernet. Sweet! I can handle it from there and get my wireless online.

I hook up my WD N600 wireless. Nothing. I buy a new Linksys E2700. It worked for two days, then crapped out. I thought it went bad and exchanged it. The new one didn't work either. I test via Ethernet directly to the modem. That's working. And Ethernet through the router is working. Damn. Another bad router. So I go to Staples and pick up a Netgear Nighthawk. This thing has got to work. Same problem. Ethernet fine, wireless crap. (And yes, I know how to set them up. It's not rocket science).

By this time, after about a dozen phone calls and some lady in Bangladesh telling me to reset the modem for the 50th time, like the 3rd or 4th Bright House guy comes to my house. He stays for 5 minutes, it's working on one laptop and he leaves. Wait! It's not working right. Less than 20 Mb/s wireless right in the same room with the needle bouncing all over the place, from 60 to 0, back up to 40, down to 2 and a ping time of close to 100 ms. He doesn't even let me test the other two laptops (Win 8 and Vista) or my iPhone. Five minutes after he's gone, it totally craps out.

The 4th BH guy shows up after a few more phone calls and works on it for three hours. He tried three different modem / wireless routers brand new out of the box, a Motorola and two Arris. Ha, ha! Finally, someone sees what I'm talking about. He can't figure it out. Ethernet working great, but wireless on 3 laptops with 3 different OSs, plus an iPhone and iPad 4G all either not working at all or so intermittently, it's useless.

A few days later, the senior field supervisor shows up with his MacBook and iPhone. He can't get the Mac online, but his iPhone is working perfectly. I said, give it time. Sure enough, 15 minutes later, that crapped out. He's there for three hours trying everything he knows and talking to everyone he can about it. They try all sorts of things, including running a dead-drop line from the curb directly into my bedroom window to the modem. Still running like crap. So it's not the cable to the house or in the house. He eliminates every possibility my side of the tap/splitter at the curb.

Starting week 3, I'm expecting as I was told that a maintenance crew would be out to service the main line from the box in the front corner of my yard upstream. Monday, a guy shows up for a service call. I told him the story and that he's supposed to work out at the box. Not his job. Maintenance has to be called. Two days later, I get a note on my door, "Sorry we missed you". What?! I don't need to be home for you to work in the front of my front yard and upstream from there. I called BH and a 3rd guy shows up for an inside maintenance call. (By this time, I feel like I'm in an old Keystone Cops movie). I tell him the story. He said, OK, he would check the tap and signal levels. SHA-ZAM! The signal levels on the main line coming into the tap are waaaaayy off. He said he would put an order in for maintenance to take care of it. Maybe finally, we are moving the ball down-field.

So, I called BH customer support. I want to know why another solid week of this nonsense and we got no where. I was assured the right person would be out and I was promised a call with an update when it was done. No phone call, but the thing does start working Friday afternoon. OMG, could this be it? Or is it just toying with me again? It would work for a few hours every few days, only to crash and burn again. After about 4 hours, I take down the Ethernet cables snaking through my living room for the last month. (Wife loved that. Great decorating and staging tips, there. She was about to ask if she could pick different colors).

After 4 solid weeks, dozens of phone calls, countless hours on the phone, 9 visits, 3 modems, 4 wireless routers, 3 modem/wireless router combos, it's working! Solid 65 Mb/s on Ethernet and 5.0 GHz. The wife's laptop runs only 2.4 GHz and gets 30 Mb/s consistently, but it's in her office on the other side of the house. So that's fine.

I hated the month of trying to get it fixed. That should have taken a week, tops. Testing the line signal levels coming into the house should be the very first thing. By the way, I had various taps and splitters in a couple places placed there by previous BH technicians. I was told none of that should be there with the right signal levels. So who knows how long this problem has been there and getting worse.

I love the service. Super fast and reliable, no matter what time of the day. I've had Bright House and it's predecessor, Time Warner, for our Road Runner Internet service since it came to our community in 1997 or so. Always reasonably good service, until this time.

And I have to say just about everyone I worked with individually was terrific. There were a couple that should be fired. Like I'm on the phone for 45 minutes and my call drops. Do they call me back? NO! I'm back on the phone, in the queue, and starting at square one with the next person. But mostly really good people.

They are just working in a system that is completely broken. The supervisor or vice-president of tech support needs to be fired and a good industrial engineer hired to streamline the system. It shouldn't be this hard for us customers and their employees to fix sometime like a problem in the main line. I'll bet they easily burned 50 hours of payroll, between phone calls and visits, getting my Internet fixed. It should have been five, tops.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. While I'm happy that everything is finally working to your satisfaction the experience getting there concerns me. When you have a moment please reach out to me in our direct forums, I would like to review everything from start to finish. Going forward please don't hesitate in reaching out to me directly at the first sign of problems.

Gary
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Review by Almondo See Profile

• Location: Titusville,Brevard,FL
Good "Pretty consistent bandwidth, good routing paths, pretty reliable."
Bad "No native IPv6 support yet"
Overall "Very happy with everything except lack of IPv6"

We moved to Florida a bit over 5 years ago. Initially we had AT&T DSL, for about a week, ports blocked, retarded support, epic fail.

Then we had BrightHouse install RoadRunner, I think it was 10/1Mbit but might have been 20/2. In any case, that connection was very reliable except the day that the storm came and a big branch fell on it and physically took cable and the power out.

That was restored quickly within a day. After a little over a year we moved to a new house and took the service with us. Hooked up quick, worked pretty well but after about 6 months we were seeing some intermittent packet loss. Support logged in remotely and identified a poor signal condition. Tech was dispatched the next day, identified long/old inground cable run as the issue, replaced cable, left on surface, quality returned. Cable was buried the following week. After a year and a half we moved again and took the service with us. Lightning was brand new. We tried it but it just wasn't ready for prime time in our area then so we dropped back to top tier of DOCSIS2 for about a year. Then we tried Lightning again I think it was 40/2 or thereabouts, no more issues. After about 2 years BrightHouse called marketing faster speeds and we took it, very reliable still no issues. When 90/10 became available I took it and also added a static IPv4 /29. In December 2014 my wife noticed an article indicating we would get a free speed boost in 1/2015. I had my doubts. But low and behold on 1/12/2015 I ran a routine speed test after a VM image push greatly exceeded my rated speed (peaked at 175Mbps/5Min average according to Cacti on my co-located full gigabit outbound edge at Terramark) and the speed test showed 167Mbps. I have consistently been able to pull full-capacity rail and frequently see over spec rail of about 110% in both directions. This is not speculative or bandwidth testing, this is me pushing whole real 10/30/50 gigabyte virtual machine images back and forth, real pipe bagging work.

My only complaint is the lack of native IPv6 support. I have a bunch of IPv6 only VMs in multiple locations that I reach via the HE.NET tunnel I have routed through my BrightHouse link and unlike IPv4 traffic that runs full rail+, the free HE.NET tunnels usually top out at about 20Mbps and on a really good day almost 25Mbps. This is HE.NET limiting or topping out but hey, it is free IPv6 transit as are the IPv6 /48s they route me, so I cannot/will not ever complain to or about HE.NET, they completely and totally rock the IPv6 world.

In summary, I am very happy with BrightHouse and will be even more so once they implement native IPv6.

My current gear is an Arris DG1670A and some other little A/N dual band/two port device upstairs doing the MoCA secondary bridge thing (which also works very well).

Comments:

Review by v10tdi See Profile

• Location: Titusville,Brevard,FL
Good "Pretty good reliability, Great support from BHN on this website"
Bad "Chat Support, Email Support"

Lightning 90, Phone (2 lines), TV (1 DVR, 1 non-DVR, whole house) bundle

member for 162 days, 19 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cflHart See Profile

• Location: Palm Bay,Brevard,FL
Good "Reliable, consistent service in Brevard"
Bad "Setting up service calls"
Overall "Long time happy customer"

I have been a BHN customer for many years, at multiple locations. Overall quite satisfied with service. We have phone, internet, tv, alarm. The only issues are generally result of the initial phone support staff. Nearly every tech that has been sent out has been skillful and educated in their field, once you get past the phone staff.

Comments:

Review by telijah See Profile

• Location: Brandon,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Excellent and reliable speeds"
Bad "Price a bit high"
Overall "Very solid service, period!"

I've been a Bright House customer since 2001. Until recently, I always used the basic Internet packages available and service was sometimes mediocre at best, but I never really attempted to contact support for resolving. Since the beginning of 2013 I've gone to the 60/5 plan and now the 90/10 plan. While the price seems a tad on the high side, my connection is extremely reliable and I regularly have speeds testing about 10% higher than my advertised rates (hitting 100mbps down and 11mbps up on a 90/10 plan). Support via the normal methods is sometimes shoddy, but support via their employee here on DSLReports is second to NONE. BHNTechXpert (Gary) is hands down their greatest asset on this forum and is a model for what support personnel know beyond first level.

All in all, I will not be trading my service any time soon. Thanks for the excellent product thus far BHN.

member for 1.9 years, 700 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mep2003

join:2006-04-02
Palm Harbor, FL
·Bright House Net..

Bright House Echo

This is the worst upgrade I have ever experienced with Bright House. I am blocked off Netflix and numerous other sites. The wifi is considerable less than unacceptable. The tech have been out over 6 times and make nothing but excuses. I am canceling my echo service and upgrading to ethernet throughout the house. Then i'm looking for a new carrier. I've been with bright house for 20 years and I don't want to spend another 20 minutes with them. They are not cheap and I should get better service. For the price their service sucks. They blamed the poor wifi on my neighbors interference. I paid to run ethernet throughout the house and I'm still blocked off numerous sites with the new router.

telijah
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

Re: Bright House Echo

Why is this a reply to my review rather than in your own review? This has nothing to do with my experience.
mep2003

join:2006-04-02
Palm Harbor, FL

Re: Bright House Echo

my mistake i am new to this post, sorry

Review by tim tim tim See Profile

• Location: Land O Lakes,Pasco,FL
Good "Fast service, good service, Fair pricing"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "Great customer service, great product and great reliability"

I have the 150/10 internet connection along with Premier TV, Home Security and Phone and very rarely have any sort of noticeable issues with the service. Usually these issues are fixed with a reboot. Customer service is very good and pricing is fair for the product received

member for 4.6 years, 1564 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

sheryl1

@128.177.161.x

service

We have been trying since monday,today is thursday, to get a tech guy out to fix our brand new DVR and fix our broken cable line. Today is January 1 2015. Now most people are home enjoying there holiday. However, bright house reps said someone would be out today between 8 and 12. We confirmed 3 times that this was correct. So we cut our new years plans in half and have been waiting all day on them. After being told they would be here in fifteen mins the told us no one was coming and we were basicly crazy for thinking they were. What gives? Where is the award winning service? We would not even have any problems if they buried the cable line correctly. Instead of 10 to 12 inches deep they only buried it 4 inches deep in a sandy pasture. To allow a company with such crappy service to be a conglomerate should be illegal. To top it all off we have been loyal customers for 16+ years. Not any more. We will be changing providers and telling as many people as possible to do like wise.
tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
·Bright House Net..

Re: service

they aren't supposed to go 10-12 inches deep, they are supposed to go just under the grass line (usually less than 6 inches)

Not sure what to say about the rest, im assuming you havent made a direct forum post so that gary (BHNTECHXPERT) could get your issues taken care of