Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by billd104 See Profile

• Location: Oldsmar,Pinellas,FL
Good "Speed, reliably & convenience"
Overall "Still the best deal for the money"

Was just upgraded to RR Lightning 40/5 on Bright House Networks. Since I was a triple play subscriber already w RR turbo 20/2 & was considering Verizon FiOS triple play 35/35, BHN made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. In this era of price increases they actually offered me more for less. Free upgrade to RR Lightning and a lower total monthly cost. Can't go wrong with that. Now with BHN entering the home security market with a fully integrated system it will get even better.

Update: 02/18/2013

Still pleased with RR Lightning and Bright House Networks. Pleasantly surprised that my speed has now increased to 60/5 and my overall package cost has gone down. Can't complain about that.

Update: 06/07/2013

Upgraded to Lightning 90/10 in May and speeds are at least 10% higher than advertised. I'm getting 104 down / 12 up consistently. Monthly bill went up less than 10% so IMHO it's a win for me!!

Update: 11/7/2014

Still pleased with BHN... Nothing more to say really. Any issues or hiccups are dispatched with in short order by Gary in the Bright House Direct forum.

member for 5.8 years, 350 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

PISSED OFF

@rr.com

Brighthouse Double Billing!!

Just found out today Brighthouse is double billing my account. I currently have phone service and RR 40. Brighthouse added a charge to my phone called a modem charge. I currently pay a modem charge for RR 40, now BH wants to charge for the same modem for my phone. They are DOUBLE BILLING CUSTOMERS for the same HARDWARE! Coin the phase, NICKLE AND DIME THE CUSTOMERS!!!!!

BHRipoff

@bhn.net

Re: Brighthouse Double Billing!!

Same situation here, we've had Brighthouse for years and now they created a new modem charge, but there is no new modem or anything added to the service they provide. Upon calling them the response is simply "Yes, it is a new charge". I am sick and tired of them raising their prices every 3 months. It is a freaking monopoly in central florida and we are pretty much stuck to just accept it or have no internet access. I already cancelled their cable service because the frequent price increases and new fees just pissed me off. But internet there is no option.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Brighthouse Double Billing!!

said by BHRipoff :

We are by no means a monopoly in CFL or any of our service regions. In each there are at least two other providers available. We also do not raise our rates every three months so if your bill is reflective of additional charges something else must be going on. I would be happy to review you billing and see if we can find a package that better suits your needs.
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

said by PISSED OFF :

Contact me via PM and I will be happy to review your bill with you and seek a better solution.

softbaked

join:2013-03-15
Melbourne, FL
·Bright House

Real Response from a 5+ year Bright House Customer

"We are by no means a monopoly in CFL"
Not True, BH does have a government sanctioned monopoly for the wire "cable" in my area (Melbourne, FL) no other provider can offer services over the cable.

"In each there are at least two other providers available."
Dish "slower expensive internet with a marry me contract"

In the town next to me they getting "cable" from embark for a lot less money because there are several "cable companies" competing for the consumer, i.e. no monopoly means fair competition and consumer choice.

"We also do not raise our rates every three months"
False, I'm on the phone at least every three months negotiating something, be it "new mysterious charges" or "plan changes" or "new equipment charges", it's always something, if your not watching/fighting the bill, it will increase.

"I would be happy to review you billing and see if we can find a package that better suits your needs."
And there is the pitch in a nutshell folks... when you call and complain about price/service/bill/etc.. they always offer you a different plan that sounds like your getting something more "for the same price you are paying" i.e. no savings just a new pitch.

I checked Cable TV prices and Internet speed/prices across the US and was surprised to find that we in Central Florida under the Bright House government monopoly are paying much more than the national average.... that is the problem with a monopoly, no competition = no win for the customer.

Re: Real Response from a 5+ year Bright House Customer

said by softbaked:

"We are by no means a monopoly in CFL"

"In each there are at least two other providers available."
Dish "slower expensive internet with a marry me contract"

"We also do not raise our rates every three months"

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

Please provide the relevant data supporting your claim.

In each there are at least two other providers available."
Dish "slower expensive internet with a marry me contract"

Your claim was you do not have choices and that we are a monopoly which is not correct. You do have choices you just don't like them.

" I'm on the phone at least every three months negotiating something, be it "new mysterious charges" or "plan changes" or "new equipment charges", it's always something, if your not watching/fighting the bill, it will increase.

Not correct. If you want me to review your billing with you I would be happy to clearly demonstrate this isn't the case. Let me know when...you can reach me at
BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com

No you didn't check anywhere but here at DSLR which you referenced in your recent review of our services. That "average" cost of services is based customer reviews which is not an official, accurate or for that matter scientific cost comparison.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

Again you reference Time Warner Cable. We are not TWC...please take a moment to read »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks

astemerman

join:2013-05-22
This is 100% not true. Maybe you're unaware what a monopoly is. But, there are other options available in all of central FL including Comcast. It's impossible for a cable company to be a monopoly when there are services such as Dish Network. In case you're confused on what a monopoly is... a monopoly is when only one company provides a service in a particular field and blocks any other company from providing a service in order to compete with that specific company. As I said this is 100% impossible with services like Dish Network available. I live in central FL and comcast is available to you as well also making it impossible for brighthouse to be a monopoly. Also, Brighthouse will be lowering their prices soon with Google Fiber in play(the main reason why they're up'ing their lightning tier again to 90Mbps as Google FIber doesn't cap you at $70 per month).
softbaked

join:2013-03-15
Melbourne, FL
·Bright House

Google Fiber is Bright House Cancer

Google Fiber will level the playing field for the consumer and Bright House is very afraid... the way over-priced services they provide days are numbered, Bright House is hiring every lawyer and greasing every politician they can to keep you trapped in their ridiculous pricing/service model.

Follow the link below for a very good read on the future of Bright House and how your internet choices will be limited by them no matter how much it cost them to keep you trapped.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

Remember way back in the beginning of the "cable revolution" when everybody was shocked that somebody would actually pay for TV when it was free? but.... it was worth it because there were very little or no commercials? Now I pay $80.00 per/month for "basic cable" which has 250+ channels of mostly garbage that is infested with commercials.

Part of my job is statistics, so I ran a month long data gathering period of logging the number and length of commercials with all the channels I watch and the end result was over 52% commercial time over actual show time. (yeah I use a DVR but that's not the point).
So BH charges us over-inflated prices and then makes another fortune on ad revenue (it's a business, I get it, but this is pure greed)

Then it gets even worse, I cross-tabbed the commercial run times between channels and found that channels/shows that are similar run commercials at the same time, so if you change the channel and your tastes are the same you will most likely find another commercial.

There is a running joke in my house, we turn the TV on and try to hold our breath while flipping through channels and cannot breath until we find a channel that is not running a commercial... most of the time we run out of breath, yeah it's that bad/common.

And we all know that the high price is also due to the fact that we have to pay for hundreds of other channels we will never watch, we cannot just order the channels we watch on a regular basis, a-la-cart, which would make it affordable and fair, but no.... cable companies lobbied that option into law. There was a cable provider in New York that started a company on that model, "just pay for the channels you watch instead of ALL the channels" guess what..? Bright House and Comcast sued him into poverty and made it a crime (with jail time) if anybody tries to use that business model again.

Your days are numbered cable giants just like the old tel-co's but I'm sure you will continue to stick it to us as long as you can.

said by softbaked:

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

You keep making reference to Time Warner Cable. Bright House Networks is NOT Time Warner Cable in any way. Two entirely different companies. We do not service New York and have never serviced New York you are confusing us with TWC.

See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks

astemerman

join:2013-05-22

Re: Google Fiber is Bright House Cancer

This is actually 50% incorrect. TWC is in fact the parent company of Bright House Networks. Yes, BHN is a stand alone company in the same sense that Bing is a stand alone company even though their parent company is Microsoft. But, you do consider them seperate companies.

said by astemerman:

No TWC is NOT the parent company of Bright House Networks. Our parent company is privately held Advance Newhouse Communications. See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks

Review by Jpollard See Profile

• Location: Pittsboro,Hendricks,IN
Good "Great service and reliable"

I have had Brighthouse at two locations for the past 4.5 years. When I moved the transfer was quick and easy (and the mover discount was great!). I recently called in as my package was expiring. I was able to triple my download speed and lower my bill by $15/mo.

Comments:

Review by noomi See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Citrus,FL
Good "Good speed (Most of time)"
Bad "None really"
Overall "Triple play worth it"

Even though i'm satisfied,I don't have any other choice here.

Update 11/02
Still satisfied except for the price! I have
internet only. Again, I don't have any other choice here.

member for 13.6 years, 5072 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mk318 See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "Fast speeds, good service, no throttling"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "What's not to like?"

Been a BH customer for somewhere near 11 years. Service is good and fast. I don't know what more you can want. There's a lot worst ISPs out there like Comcast.

Comments:

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Melbourne,Brevard,FL
Good "Extremely reliable service and great picture quality"
Bad "Front-line order specialist botched the order"
Overall "Great value for the money"

·Frontier Communi..
·Charter
We just moved from Minnesota, to Florida, and I know BHN was the local cable provider. We had looked to see if U-Verse was available in our new neighborhood, and it was not. Because we did mail forwarding electronically with USPS, they sent us a coupon for BHN that gave us free-install and 1 month of free service. Not a bad deal! I called the week before we were supposed to move in to get everything setup. The order specialist gave me the bundles that were applicable for the 1 month of free service, and it was the Premier DTV service and Lightning 30 Internet. I told him that I have 3 HDTVs that need service. We did 1 TV with the 2-tuner DVR and 2 of the DTV adapter boxes since I didn't need any enhanced features on the other 2. I also mentioned I will be using my own modem (Motorola SB6121) and they setup the order.

I get a call a week early that they are confirming my appointment for the next day, and that was 7 days early. I called the number back that was left on my voicemail, and it was the number for the Tampa area, and not central Florida. They transferred me to the other number (frustrating when I was on hold to speak to someone), and I spoke to an extremely friendly representative who was able to get everything straightened out for me, and was very apologetic for the problem.

We get down to Florida with the moving truck and the tech shows up right on time, and installs all the boxes and my cable modem for me. He was extremely friendly and professional, and was able to answer all my questions.

I got my first bill and noticed I was getting charged for a rental modem, even after my own modem was provisioned. I also noticed I was only getting 20Mb down and 2.5Mb up. I called support to find out why these 2 things were happening. I got to a representative fairly quickly and stated my concerns. He found that my modem was indeed provisioned for only 20Mb service, and made the change to get me 30Mb as that is what I was billed for. They credited my account with the full amount of the rental fee, as well as the days that I was only getting 20Mb service so I wasn't being overbilled. I've never had a cable company successfully accomplish that for me before.

I've done speed tests all throughout the day and night during peak usage periods and have always gotten consistent speeds, and the speeds that I'm provisioned for. The picture quality of the HD feeds on BHN are excellent. The NBC and ESPN feeds look fantastic, as I didn't notice macro-blocking like what I've seen on other carriers.

I've dealt with a lot of cable companies and telcos, and BHN by far has the best customer service of any of them. I will continue to do business with them for the foreseeable future.

Comments:

Review by kasten See Profile

• Location: Clermont,Lake,FL
Good "Reliable, tests what is advertised, service"
Bad "Bundled HDTV DVR is somewhat outdated... record compression lacking"
Overall "No contracts, service staff very helpful with tech and package uestions."

The ISP is new to the business but has done a great job. Installation took 45 minutes for HDTV, VOIP and Web. Hooked to household's 8-port DSL router. Very little degradation when accessing with multiple computers. Company offers to rent a cable modem for $5 a month extra. Not a bad deal considering owning is more expensive and why not let the CO fix the modem when it goes bad. Tested speeds average 34 down and 2.5up. Later purchased 60 down service. Descent security package offered, no spam as of yet. Option to purchase speed up to 90 down.

We have had one outage in the last 14 months. About 4 hours due to weather.

member for 12.2 years, 913 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything please let me know.

Review by twalls See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Faster speeds than advertised"
Bad "I'd trade a higher download speed for a higher upload speed"
Overall "Cable is time-tested and currently still fast enough to be relevant"

I've been a Road Runner user for a long time. It was still Time Warner when my parents signed up for it originally. I've finished high school, college, and have worked for 12 years now in the time that I've used RR. Of course, there have been brief periods where I've tried out Verizon DSL or I used my university's Internet when I lived in a dorm, but I've always come back eventually. Some places have had bad connections which resulted in flaky service, while others have been great and problem-free. I chalk it up to the quality of the cable connection wherever I was at the time, but there have been times where the cable or splitter I was using was junk. This is why I'm feeling rather fortunate to have a reliable connection in the apartment that I'm in now.

I was previously using a Bright House Business connection that was paid for by work. Unfortunately, a free connection also meant 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. FWIW, it was always consistently at those speeds and it rarely slowed down or had problems. I also had a static IP address, which came in handy for a few things at work. My workplace is now switching to paying a stipend to cover part of my Internet connection (I often work remotely on server issues, etc.), so I opted to upgrade to Lightning 90 and pay the difference. I had the Bright House Business connection for several years, so it was news to me that you can now provide your own modem for residential service. I opted to go this route by getting a Motorola SB6141 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless router. Only downside I can think of is no static IP address option if you use your own modem.

I will admit to being jealous of friends who use Verizon FiOS and have a higher upload speed, but I'm still very pleased to almost always see faster speeds than advertised. I was honestly surprised to hear I have a faster download speed than the highest package currently offered by Verizon (at least in my area), but it kind of makes sense. They shift the ratio of the download and upload speed in favor of the upload side. Still, I feel like cable is time-tested for me. It is something I'm familiar with and trust. I know the pros and cons, and it feels the most straightforward. There's no additional equipment like an ONT or battery backup needed aside from the cable coming out of the cable jack. There's no conflict with phones or filters to install, like with DSL. Knowing that my DOCSIS 3.0 modem promises speeds up to over 300 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up, I feel like cable-based Internet will remain relevant to me for the foreseeable future.

The only thing that might change my mind at this point is something like 1 Gbps up/down from Google Fiber. Even then, it'll come down to cost and availability in my area (particularly in apartment complexes).

Note: The price includes a combo for TV and Internet (Lightning 90). I also have HBO ($14 for first three months, $19 after that), a CableCARD ($2.95 a month), and a tuning adapter (FREE!). I use a TiVo and my own modem, so I don't lease the DVR or modem. To be fair, I included the $40 that goes to Bright House in my apartment's rent.

Comments:

JT

@68.202.80.x

Home Security Service

I needed Home Security Service so I called Bright House, I was given July 13th, today is July 9th, at 14:09. I answered a knock at my door to a BH Service Tech for Insulation, I told the Tech David that I do have an appointment for the 13 of July. He seemed a little annoyed that he was sent out four days early. I ask him what happen to my 13th appointment they xcld it I ask why???? He said call the office AND left.

twalls

join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL

Re: Home Security Service

Sorry you had a bad experience... What does that have to do with my review? You could try requesting assistance in the Bright House Networks Direct forums:

»Bright House Networks Direct

Review by ScottHilt See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Fast, Reliable, Great Customer Service"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "The fastest, most reliable ISP I've ever had."

·AT&T DSL Service
I loved BHN as an ISP. Quite simply I got what I ordered and that's all I ask for. Not to mention BHN has world class customer service. I can't wait to move back into a Bright House. Where I live now, BHN is not available and it's just killing me. My lease can not end soon enough. On a side note. I'm glad I lease a home in this area before I bought again because now I know I can't have Bright House. So I'm moving back 'up the road'. Anyways... If Bright House is offered at your address; GET IT!!! You'll be glad you did.

Note: The price listed reflects a combo package price that included HD Digital Cable with Whole House DVR service.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me in our forums.

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick setup, courteous customer service, solid speed/low latencies"
Bad "Waiting for better upload speeds"
Overall "Bright House offers a solid cable product"

April 2014: Moved into a brand new house in a new neighborhood and ordered FiOS. After 8 months, got tired of Verizon's bill creep and the difficulty of getting customer service to fix internet connectivity issues. Verizon's truck rolls can cost as much as a month's worth of service! Decided to give Bright House a chance on the recommendation of several neighbors. An advantage to having a new neighborhood is having new cabling…the service has been rock solid so far!

Ordered their $99 Digital Cable/30 MB bundle. Took a few calls to the extremely helpful customer service to handle a couple of issues…

1. The WiFi channel used by BHN's router caused issues, but was promptly changed with a single call.

2. Had some initial connection drop issues which were remedied by upgrading the modem's firmware.

Adding HD cable boxes ($8/mo) and another cable outlet ($40) were easy and much less expensive than with Verizon. There is a $1/mo RSN fee, but it is less than Verizon's which is over $2/mo…and I watch the RSNs a lot. I really like BHN's Auto HD and Start Over. The availability of Bay News 9 is nice, along with the ability to watch many channels on all kinds of devices within the range of my house's WiFi signal.

The only complaint I have is the lack of a MoCA networking option built into any of Bright House's modem list options. I had MoCA with FiOS and would love to install a Motorola SBG6782-AC. I grabbed one for my parents who use Comcast and it works very well. ..please get this modem added to your list.

June 2014 Update: Bright House has added some new modems to their list. I was able to use a Motorola SBG6782-AC as my cable modem and it works well! Love having the MoCA networking for desktops in bedrooms and the dual band WiFi is nice. Been pretty happy with the service so far. Any minor issues with TVEverywhere (my account needed some changes to show I subscribed to TV service) were promptly handled by customer support. So far, I'm happy with service.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by bertferry See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Steady service, reasonable price for combined services."
Bad "Occasional loss of sync on modem"
Overall "Happy with service."

I ordered standard service with digital cable. The price was about $80.00 per month. I later upgraded to Lightning internet. I ordered in person, and was installed the next day. I have a Cisco cable box and a Motorola wireless modem. Overall, I'm happy with service, even though I rarely hit top advertised speeds. Services were installed by a contractor, whom I was pleased with. No complaints, except the fact that I have to reboot my modem once in a while.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anythning at all by all means please reach out to me. I have also sent you a PM related to something else.

bertferry

join:2012-11-24
Bradenton, FL

Re: Thank you....

Hi Gary, I updated my review. The first time I did it, the ratings scale wasn't there. I am truly happy overall with Brighthouse.

Bert

Re: Thank you....

Good deal thanks Bert. Remember if you need anything reach out to me... I am never far away