Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by twalls See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Faster speeds than advertised"
Bad "I'd trade a higher download speed for a higher upload speed"
Overall "Cable is time-tested and currently still fast enough to be relevant"

I've been a Road Runner user for a long time. It was still Time Warner when my parents signed up for it originally. I've finished high school, college, and have worked for 12 years now in the time that I've used RR. Of course, there have been brief periods where I've tried out Verizon DSL or I used my university's Internet when I lived in a dorm, but I've always come back eventually. Some places have had bad connections which resulted in flaky service, while others have been great and problem-free. I chalk it up to the quality of the cable connection wherever I was at the time, but there have been times where the cable or splitter I was using was junk. This is why I'm feeling rather fortunate to have a reliable connection in the apartment that I'm in now.

I was previously using a Bright House Business connection that was paid for by work. Unfortunately, a free connection also meant 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. FWIW, it was always consistently at those speeds and it rarely slowed down or had problems. I also had a static IP address, which came in handy for a few things at work. My workplace is now switching to paying a stipend to cover part of my Internet connection (I often work remotely on server issues, etc.), so I opted to upgrade to Lightning 90 and pay the difference. I had the Bright House Business connection for several years, so it was news to me that you can now provide your own modem for residential service. I opted to go this route by getting a Motorola SB6141 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless router. Only downside I can think of is no static IP address option if you use your own modem.

I will admit to being jealous of friends who use Verizon FiOS and have a higher upload speed, but I'm still very pleased to almost always see faster speeds than advertised. I was honestly surprised to hear I have a faster download speed than the highest package currently offered by Verizon (at least in my area), but it kind of makes sense. They shift the ratio of the download and upload speed in favor of the upload side. Still, I feel like cable is time-tested for me. It is something I'm familiar with and trust. I know the pros and cons, and it feels the most straightforward. There's no additional equipment like an ONT or battery backup needed aside from the cable coming out of the cable jack. There's no conflict with phones or filters to install, like with DSL. Knowing that my DOCSIS 3.0 modem promises speeds up to over 300 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up, I feel like cable-based Internet will remain relevant to me for the foreseeable future.

The only thing that might change my mind at this point is something like 1 Gbps up/down from Google Fiber. Even then, it'll come down to cost and availability in my area (particularly in apartment complexes).

Note: The price includes a combo for TV and Internet (Lightning 90). I also have HBO ($14 for first three months, $19 after that), a CableCARD ($2.95 a month), and a tuning adapter (FREE!). I use a TiVo and my own modem, so I don't lease the DVR or modem. To be fair, I included the $40 that goes to Bright House in my apartment's rent.

member for 82 days, 112 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JT

@68.202.80.x

Home Security Service

I needed Home Security Service so I called Bright House, I was given July 13th, today is July 9th, at 14:09. I answered a knock at my door to a BH Service Tech for Insulation, I told the Tech David that I do have an appointment for the 13 of July. He seemed a little annoyed that he was sent out four days early. I ask him what happen to my 13th appointment they xcld it I ask why???? He said call the office AND left.

twalls

join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL

Re: Home Security Service

Sorry you had a bad experience... What does that have to do with my review? You could try requesting assistance in the Bright House Networks Direct forums:

»Bright House Networks Direct

Review by ScottHilt See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Fast, Reliable, Great Customer Service"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "The fastest, most reliable ISP I've ever had."

·AT&T DSL Service
I loved BHN as an ISP. Quite simply I got what I ordered and that's all I ask for. Not to mention BHN has world class customer service. I can't wait to move back into a Bright House. Where I live now, BHN is not available and it's just killing me. My lease can not end soon enough. On a side note. I'm glad I lease a home in this area before I bought again because now I know I can't have Bright House. So I'm moving back 'up the road'. Anyways... If Bright House is offered at your address; GET IT!!! You'll be glad you did.

Note: The price listed reflects a combo package price that included HD Digital Cable with Whole House DVR service.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please reach out to me in our forums.

Review by kasten See Profile

• Location: Clermont,Lake,FL
Good "Reliable, tests what is advertised, service"
Bad "Bundled HDTV DVR is somewhat outdated... record compression lacking"
Overall "No contracts, service staff very helpful with tech and package uestions."

The ISP is new to the business but has done a great job. Installation took 45 minutes for HDTV, VOIP and Web. Hooked to household's 8-port DSL router. Very little degradation when accessing with multiple computers. Company offers to rent a cable modem for $5 a month extra. Not a bad deal considering owning is more expensive and why not let the CO fix the modem when it goes bad. Tested speeds average 34 down and 2.5up. Later purchased 60 down service. Quite secure (not pingable), no spam as of yet. Option to purchase speed up to 90 down.

member for 12 years, 877 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
Saint Petersburg, FL

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything please let me know.

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick setup, courteous customer service, solid speed/low latencies"
Bad "Waiting for better upload speeds"
Overall "Bright House offers a solid cable product"

April 2014: Moved into a brand new house in a new neighborhood and ordered FiOS. After 8 months, got tired of Verizon's bill creep and the difficulty of getting customer service to fix internet connectivity issues. Verizon's truck rolls can cost as much as a month's worth of service! Decided to give Bright House a chance on the recommendation of several neighbors. An advantage to having a new neighborhood is having new cabling…the service has been rock solid so far!

Ordered their $99 Digital Cable/30 MB bundle. Took a few calls to the extremely helpful customer service to handle a couple of issues…

1. The WiFi channel used by BHN's router caused issues, but was promptly changed with a single call.

2. Had some initial connection drop issues which were remedied by upgrading the modem's firmware.

Adding HD cable boxes ($8/mo) and another cable outlet ($40) were easy and much less expensive than with Verizon. There is a $1/mo RSN fee, but it is less than Verizon's which is over $2/mo…and I watch the RSNs a lot. I really like BHN's Auto HD and Start Over. The availability of Bay News 9 is nice, along with the ability to watch many channels on all kinds of devices within the range of my house's WiFi signal.

The only complaint I have is the lack of a MoCA networking option built into any of Bright House's modem list options. I had MoCA with FiOS and would love to install a Motorola SBG6782-AC. I grabbed one for my parents who use Comcast and it works very well. ..please get this modem added to your list.

June 2014 Update: Bright House has added some new modems to their list. I was able to use a Motorola SBG6782-AC as my cable modem and it works well! Love having the MoCA networking for desktops in bedrooms and the dual band WiFi is nice. Been pretty happy with the service so far. Any minor issues with TVEverywhere (my account needed some changes to show I subscribed to TV service) were promptly handled by customer support. So far, I'm happy with service.

member for 7.6 years, 1540 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you!

For taking the time to share your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anything at all please let me know.

Review by bertferry See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Steady service, reasonable price for combined services."
Bad "Occasional loss of sync on modem"
Overall "Happy with service."

I ordered standard service with digital cable. The price was about $80.00 per month. I later upgraded to Lightning internet. I ordered in person, and was installed the next day. I have a Cisco cable box and a Motorola wireless modem. Overall, I'm happy with service, even though I rarely hit top advertised speeds. Services were installed by a contractor, whom I was pleased with. No complaints, except the fact that I have to reboot my modem once in a while.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you....

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience. If you need anythning at all by all means please reach out to me. I have also sent you a PM related to something else.

bertferry

join:2012-11-24
Bradenton, FL

Re: Thank you....

Hi Gary, I updated my review. The first time I did it, the ratings scale wasn't there. I am truly happy overall with Brighthouse.

Bert

Re: Thank you....

Good deal thanks Bert. Remember if you need anything reach out to me... I am never far away

Review by w8ufo See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Quick installation in new build."
Bad "Tidyness of installation/bumpy ride with transition to own modem."
Overall "Solid service so far. Support in forums and good installer made things right."

Total monthly cost is unknown because it's included in our HOA dues. We have 1 HD DVR and Standard (10Mbps up/1MBps down) high speed internet. We've also got all outlets activated in the house.

Order process was great, installer did a neat job outside, but inside installation was less tidy with splitters and modem hanging out of the alarm/comm panel box. Even though we had a router, installer provided a Ubee gateway with wireless and NAT enabled which caused conflicts with media/security devices.

Moved to own modem in hopes of not reconfiguring all my network devices. Account was modified without a call from Support telling me to go ahead and switch modems.

Switched modems but had upstream signal issues. Tech was dispatched, redid the splitters/tidied things up, and all is well so far. Back end issues include modem time sync and some config parameter issues, but they aren't affecting service, so not a big deal.

Second installer and help from Brightouse Networks Direct forum here were fantastic and made the difference....however the service reliability was short lived.

Today (9/11) I had them bring me a Brighthouse Networks modem, and we'll see if that improves reliability.

Comments:

Review by telijah See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Excellent and reliable speeds"
Bad "Price a bit high"
Overall "Very solid service, period!"

I've been a Bright House customer since 2001. Until recently, I always used the basic Internet packages available and service was sometimes mediocre at best, but I never really attempted to contact support for resolving. Since the beginning of 2013 I've gone to the 60/5 plan and now the 90/10 plan. While the price seems a tad on the high side, my connection is extremely reliable and I regularly have speeds testing about 10% higher than my advertised rates (hitting 100mbps down and 11mbps up on a 90/10 plan). Support via the normal methods is sometimes shoddy, but support via their employee here on DSLReports is second to NONE. BHNTechXpert (Gary) is hands down their greatest asset on this forum and is a model for what support personnel know beyond first level.

All in all, I will not be trading my service any time soon. Thanks for the excellent product thus far BHN.

member for 1.3 years, 507 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gigahurtz See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Consistent connection, good quality phone service, excellent customer service."
Bad "Bundle prices a bit high, equipment technology not as good as satellite."
Overall "Overall great company, excellent customer service, adding features/services all the time."

++UPDATE: 4/11/14

PROS-
Excellent customer service.
One company for many services.
Consistent internet connection.
Great phone reliability.
HD guide
Whole house DVR service works well

CONS-
Equipment always seems a bit behind, would love to see more tuners.
Pricing is more than I would like to be paying (limited competition in my area).

It's been over seven years since I updated my review of Brighthouse. Over the past seven years I switched away for a period of time to DirecTV. I ended up back to the triple play bundle and I am pleased. The quality of my service is better than the rest. I'd love to see some more flexibility in pricing and would also love to see the higher speed packages a bit cheaper (currently on Lightning 30). Overall, I am very pleased with Brighthouse Networks and would highly recommend to anyone looking for their services. They aren't perfect, but they work hard to try and be.

++UPDATE: 2/25/07

I recently made the switch back to POTS (Bellsouth/AT&T) due to many call quality/reliability issues with my Brighthouse line. I had them come out a few times but it seems to be a problem in the area (too many customers in a short period of time). I spoke with several people who have their service and they were frustrated as well.

Problems I had:

1. Sometimes didn't get a dial tone when picking up my phone.
2. People didn't hear me but I heard them.
3. Not as reliable as Brighthouse claims.
4. Echo

I won't be switching back as i'm happy with Bellsouth. I was able to get a great deal since i'm switching from Brighthouse.

++UPDATE: 5/5/06

Just recently, Brighthouse unveiled a "Unlimited Florida" plan which gave you unlimited calls to anywhere in Florida (instead of the entire US). This works perfectly for me and it's only $28.99 a month. I use my cell phone for long distance calls so I didn't need it on the phone. It dropped my bill from $39.99 to $28.99. Service has continued to be flawless and I am slowly converting family to Digital Phone. I was a VoicePulse customer and it doesn't even compare (VP was good but Digital Phone is great).

If it's available, get it!

-----------------

I decided to make the switch from VoicePulse to Brighthouse Digital Phone and couldn't be happier. My main problem with VoicePulse was 1) E-911 was non-existent in my area (and they didn't know when it would be available) and 2) I was having serious call quality issues with 50% of my upload being used (QoS enabled, ports forwarded, etc).

My Brighthouse Digital Phone has been excellent quality and very reliable. I have had no problems what so ever, installation was a snap and porting was very quick. I couldn't ask for a better overall experience activating my service.

I would recommend Brighthouse to anyone who is in the market for a good, reliable VoIP. As a primary phone line, you just can't go with the little guys.

member for 12.8 years, 4631 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BHNtechXpert

Thank you...

For taking the time to review your recent Bright House Networks experience Gigahurtz. As always if you need anything let me know.

Review by jwt0001 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "Great speeds and good technical support"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Gives me the Internet I want!"

I started with the 50 MB plan, but moved up to 90 MB as soon as it was offered. I was very happy with the speed change and find the service definitely worth the money. My only small complaint relates to the cable side. Since the DVR only allows 2 streams, recording has been a challenge, particularly with two people in the house.

I definitely will stay with Bright House, as long as they are an option for me!

member for 157 days, 126 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Noah Vail See Profile

• Location: Port Richey,Pasco,FL
Good "Very Reliable - Good on-call techs - Over 100% of advertised speeds"
Bad "Biz service expensive"
Overall "BH is an excellent company and better than most ISPs."

After 10 happy years, this is my final review for Bright House Internet.
(even though I still offer BH as an option to my Biz customers)

If you live in the Tampa/Orlando area, here's why Bright House could be a GOOD choice for you.

1) Service is highly reliable, in the short and long term.
I monitor internet+log internet quality and know when service is sub-par.
Aside from very infrequent maintenance windows (~20min, usually @ 3AM), service is consistently ~100% quality.

2) Performance is good, especially for a cable provider.
I host mail, remote desktop, VPN and Minecraft servers on BH. My pings between my local and public gateways avg a bit under 10ms.
I consistently get over 100% of advertised speed

3) Bright House doesn't cap, throttle or limit traffic.
I've never had ports limited, including any SMTP.
I've never had bandwidth throttled, including bittorrent.

Bright House has no caps, period. My usage has surpassed 1.2TB/month.

4) Good BH technicians. They tend to show up on time.
I've noticed that BH is outsourcing service calls to a 3rd party. Those techs are OK at what they do.
However genuine BH techs are much more adept at solving technical issues.

5) No contracts required for residential service.
Oh yea.

6) Bright House is an ethical company, a compliment I rarely offer.
Unlike most ISPs, BH doesn't have a history of rampant anti-consumerism.
Also - the few times my local BH office wasn't up to par, an advocate at the BH HQ (Syracuse) stepped in and immediately resolved my issues.

7) Geeky stuff:
BH supports IPv6
Upload rates went from 2Mb to 10Mb over the last few years.
BH works with whatever router I want to use and allows their modem to operate as a "dumb modem".
I can switch my dynamic public IP w/o having to call BH to break my DHCP lease.

So - with so many good points, why am I switching my home from Bright House?
Cost.
"Big Red Evil" will give my 35/up for $70/mo (for 1 yr, $90/mo for 2nd year).
Contrary to ISP talking points, I really need outbound.

- Here's where else Bright House could use some improvement.

1) Biz Class service is expensive, can be difficult to price and is even more expensive if you refuse 3 year contracts.

Biz Service is expensive compared to similar residential tiers.
It's also expensive compared to similar (or faster) tiers by the competition.

After years of refusing to do so, BH is finally posting some Biz class pricing on the web.
It's incomplete though and you may still be forced to spend valuable time with the sometimes confused sales team.

When I say Biz class pricing is expensive, I mean with a 3 (!) year contract.
If you want to forgo the contract, the cost difference alone is nearly enough to pay for service from a competitor.

Caveat:
I have Biz customers where the only competition to Bright House is DSL on bad copper or a T1.
In those cases we gladly pay BH Biz pricing and are grateful BH is there for us.

2) Not sure if this is still a problem but:
Time between activation of my BH residential phone and a slew of solicitors calling me (BY MY NAME) on that line = 1 day.

I got a BH phone for free w/ my residential internet package.
The dozens of daily spam calls made it unusable as an incoming line. Instead, I pay for VoIP service that never distributed my phone number to any marketing-connected biz.

I think that's it for the negative column.

Considering the good+bad together, Bright House ranks very well.
Of the the 10 largest cable providers in the US, Bright House is easily the best.