callwithus page on DSLReports

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Amazing rates , great ad on services, excellent call quality."
Bad "Not that great for incoming service, half azz web site."
Overall "Absolutely recommended."

editet 2014-06-04
First an apology- I do not give easily 100% ratings just because I like the service.
Value for the money is unbeatable on small retail level. Most of the rates are highly competitive, especially the rates to European cell phones.
In the US, toll free calls are indeed toll free .
CWU provides some very valuable services : Calling card service, Callback,NAM number look up, choosing your CLID from your registered numbers and more.
The ability to choose the routes will help you to get the best quality for the lowest price.
Call quality has been so far excellent and comparable to other quality providers, certainly on premium and PSTN routing.
Reliability has been excellent so far. The reason why I am giving only 75 % rating is the lack of verifiable information about geographical and personal redundancy- it's no secret that CWU is a small company.
The web site needs work. Difficult to use,some relevant information is missing and I have troubles even reading the price sheets without downloading expensive software. I decided to reduce the rating to 50%.
Installation was not quite easy but not too bad.
Tech support good and surprisingly fast, but not perfect. A total newbie may run into issues.
The incoming service is very basic and I chose not to use it.
And that's what Callwithus is- a great second choice. I do not recommend it as the only provider, but whoever uses multiple providers CWU should definitely be one of the choices.

member for 1.8 years, 673 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mugurd See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Cheap, no-nonsense provider with good CQ and service"
Bad "For some reason, the calls through CWU show a higher packet loss then others"
Overall "Fully recommended, easy to use"

I have been using CWU for 2 years now with good results and close to 100% call completion rate.
The rates are reasonable/low (even if not rock bottom) and the features are excellent for my needs (CID, trunk handling, etc).

The only negatives I see are the fact that PayPal payments are subject to surcharges if less than 25$ (and at their rates 25$ gives you a LOT of minutes ).
Second, I noticed that lately the path between me and CWU seems to have packet loss (didn't have too much time to troubleshoot outside my ISP network) which I don't see with Anveo, IdeaSIP or CC. Nothing that cannot be figured out - just tedious.
That being said, I use CWU daily for conf calls (hours) and I don't think I got dropped a single time.

Bottom line, I am happy with the service and recommend them as a reliable VoIP provider.

member for 13.5 years, 512 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by keyhomes See Profile

• Location: guyana
Good "good rates good service overall"
Bad "the support guy is slack and does not care about customers or humans"
Overall "just dont ask too many questions they get real irritated"

i spent 5-6 years with callwithus and the support guy is a madman he dont care about customers and cut me off because i demanded a refund for a mistake they made i asked him if he didnt have a bible to change from being an asshole after 6 years and he said hes an atheist and terminated my account good service but madness with the customer service guy so be careful

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

voipuser

@50.188.245.x

0%?

Why did you rate call quality as 0%?

What is your problem?

Why can't you tell us what your problem with CWU is, instead of bashing Sergey.

Sergey is running an excellent VoIP service and he also provides a great customer support.

IMHO your single sentence, without any punctuation marks, is not a review. It has no value and should be removed by a mod.
My VoIP News - myvoipnews@secure.mailbox.org - Bitmessage: BM-2cWYVfbnPWKbgE1NAhKjCftx41zy54s8F9
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·Optimum Voice

"Support Guy" is the owner

The person whom you call the "support guy" is the owner, and being the owner he has every incentive to care about the customers.

It's his personal bread and butter.

In my experience, Call With Us has always provided good service and support.

Perhaps if you described the specifics of your grievance rather than merely making a general rant, it might be more helpful in advancing your case.
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

VoIP Tech Chat

This is the VoIP Tech Chat forum. Your review would have been more helpful if you had posted some technical information. The religious beliefs of the owner of the company are not relevant.

Re: VoIP Tech Chat

Another opportunity to plea for removal of the rating charts. Both false positives and false negatives are so common that it makes those charts misleading and worthless.
Problems like that common. Just throwing out a 10$ carrying case/protector for a phablet with nine 5 star reviews. Those shills obviously never tried the product.
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Re: VoIP Tech Chat

I wouldn't advocate for the removal of ratings, but perhaps the exclusion of scores in the »/gbu until the member has reached a certain level.

Re: VoIP Tech Chat

I have seen inaccurate reviews from people who were 5+ years on the forum. Level of membership does not protect from bias. I do not think that my reviews were any worse in the first week I joined , that's why I did not have to do any heavy editing.
Removal of the ratings would force the people to read the actual reviews ( and to read between the lines as well )

mugurd

join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Start Communicat..
·CIKTEL Telecom

I always got fast and competent response from CWU

Personally I don't care if it's a 100 people company or a one man show, I measure responsiveness and the quality of analysis done on the problem.
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and rating scale, but the purpose of these additional comments is to dispute the rating (or confirm it).

I for one disagree with 0% CQ...I have yet to have an unsolved problem (and I only raised 2 issues - both outside CWU but they helped me to narrow it down to Obi config).

Review by gbh2o See Profile

• Location: Longs,Horry,SC
Good "Variety of services. Simple management. Good Prices and solid performance"
Bad "No 'plans'? Naw, that doesn't count!"
Overall "Great for BYOD and asterisk-type users."

·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO
20141027 - UPDATE - Yet more rock-solid features and flexibility. Still the same _reliable_ VoSP, keeping it simple and straight-forward to accomplish any task you understand.

20140215 - UPDATE - More features and flexibility. Still the same reliable VoSP.

20131004 - UPDATE - Bump... keeps taking over more of my outbound traffic just due to reliability and flexibility. First choice when another carrier's routing goes substandard on me.

20130327 - UPDATE - Bump... what else can I say? Just plain GREAT!!!

20121117 - UPDATE - CWU just keeps getting better and better, yet still maintains a simple, easy to use website.

20120522 UPDATE - BUMP. Hmm, just see my previous comments. I expect to keep using CWU for many years to come!

20111209 - UPDATE - Hmm, just see my previous comments. I expect to keep using CWU for many years to come!

20110604 - UPDATE - What a GREAT way to do business. Simple terms, rock-solid service and flexibility.

20110131 UPDATE - The real no BS deal. Even more features and flexibility as time passes, while maintaining the same GREAT service and reliability.

20101112 UPDATE - Still no BS, just great rock-solid service.

20100310 UPDATE - CallWithUs is dedicated to providing the best service that they choose to offer! Unique for their simplicity of web view, backed with solid performance. Perfect for those that like to roll-their-own systems and understand a little bit of what they are doing. Don't expect any BS or small talk. GREAT!

20091101 UPDATE - CallWithUs just gets better with age. Better prices and features.

20090407 UPDATE - The best Terms of Service and philosophy, without a doubt, for BYOD users. Robust feature support. Well-designed web site, with lots of good information and examples. Value and reliability together.

20090109 UPDATE - CWU just keeps getting better!

20080617 UPDATE - Still getting everything I expect! Great reliability, service and quality with reasonable prices. I am amazed at just how flexible they have made the services offered.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

CallWithUs (CWU) is not for those seeking a standard' or flat-rate service plan. It is oriented to those who would use bring-your-own-devices [BYOD] or centralized PBX software like asterisk.

Personally, I found the CallWithUs website refreshingly simple and wonderfully usable and functional! Tech support knows their business and provided insightful assistance when requested. On-line setup instructions and generous examples are great.

I really appreciate the ability to choose the amount of 'risk' acceptable by using different levels of VoIP vendors supplying them with numbers. I have found that the numerical rating assigned by CWU may also reflect the expected quality and reliability of service from that 'level' of vendor. I have had no service problems since signing with them.

There are no hidden government taxes or BS fees to boost their bottom line. What you see is what you pay. I find their rates quite reasonable.

Their services just work reliably.

Comments:

PRBS

@bell.ca

lol

Sooo, you don't work there do you. lol.
gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO

Re: lol

said by PRBS :

Sooo, you don't work there do you. lol.

It is hard to take an anonymous users' question seriously, but no I do not work the CWU. I believe anyone that made the tiny effort to use the search function could discover that.

If you are just a troll... be gone with you!

Review by kc3dns See Profile

Good "Everything is simple. Simple web site, simple configuration, simple payment."
Bad "Tech support can be curt."
Overall "Great value for someone who already knows VoIP"

·Anveo
CallWithUs is one of several outgoing providers on my home Asterisk VoIP system and always the first route. CWU has fair pricing and is very reliable--more reliable than some providers for which I pay more money.

CWU is pay-as-you-go for VoIP termination, meaning you don't select a package, but rather put some money on account and use it over time. For my home usage and termination rates of around 1c/minute for the countries I call, a $20 deposit lasts a long time.

I have never had a problem with CWU over the 5+ years I have used them.

member for 50 days, 40 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cb14

1 recommendation

tech support not that bad.

Actually, they are lightning fast, faster than just about anyone else. And yes indeed, they expect you, maybe too much, to be an experienced VOIP user. But they are not half ass.
kc3dns

join:2014-10-08

Explanation of rating

It's not an affront to them. They are simply average in that area. I do not grade on a curve. The areas where they are superior I have highlighted by giving 100%.

Review by carlm See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Just about everything"
Bad "Payments may take 24 hrs to post to a new acct"
Overall "Highly satisfied"

callwithus is my first and only VoIP provider. I have only been with them 1 week. I haven't had any reliability problems so I rated reliability 100%, but I don't really have enough "mileage" on the service to judge its reliability.

The ordering process was very smooth. The $5.00 initial deposit is the lowest I have seen.

I had no problems configuring my ATA from the Configuration page @ callwithus.com.

I find the web user portal to be excellent: great flexibility, logically organized. Somewhere I saw someone criticizing the appearance of the user portal. Personally I don't care how it looks -- just how it works.

I got a free DID from ipkall.com, so I have unlimited free incoming calls, US48 outgoing calls for $0.0095/minute, free outgoing calls to US toll-free numbers, no monthly fees, no taxes. It's perfect for a light phone user like me.

The very best thing about callwithus, though, has been the tech support. It really couldn't be better. I have had a couple of problems with MY equipment and tech support has been great about helping me troubleshoot them, including emailing me a SIP trace when I asked for it. Tech support responds very quickly, often within minutes. Also, tech support knows more about SIP than I do. I generally dread having to contact any technology company's tech support: I wind up trying unsuccessfully to explain to the Tier 1 people what the problem is and why their suggestions won't correct it. That's not the case with callwithus.

Note that callwithus does not offer E911 service. For me that's a plus: I have E911 on my cell phone, don't want or need it on my VoIP service, definitely don't want to pay a monthly fee for it. For some people the lack of E911 might be a minus.

My only quibble, and it's a small one, is that payments may take up to 24 hrs to post to one's account for the first two months (to prevent service fraud).

Comments:

Review by PX Eliezer See Profile

• Location: Graustark
Good "Solid VoIP calling service, value-priced, with some unique features. "
Bad "No number porting or 911; not for the newbie."
Overall "Good VoIP service especially for international, PBX/Asterisk, and ancillary uses."

·Optimum Voice
·Callcentric
Call With Us is a reliable SIP-friendly service which is my oldest VoIP provider.

Strengths are value pricing, outbound calling, international calls, and for use by the PBX/Asterisk crowd.

DID's are offered but there is also the availability of free SIP URI forwarding from other DID providers.

VPN access is available, as are some newer features such as Find Me, optional inbound CNAM, and Caller ID blocking.

The North American Number Lookup is an excellent tool for looking up which LEC serves a particular phone number, and if available it also tells the CNAM. The data is updated quickly. There is a very small charge per lookup.

A very good provider overall.

member for 1.7 years, 1048 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cb14

callwithus

They could create some decent payment options. That Pay Pal is a deal breaker.

said by cb14:

They could create some decent payment options.

You can pay with PayPal, Dwolla and credit cards. It's even possible to set up auto refill with credit cards.

What more do you need?

The only missing payment option is BitCoin.
My VoIP News

said by Arne Bolen See Profile

[/bquote :

Their not so great web site does not mention credit cards. I will be happy to be proven wrong here.

2 edits

said by cb14:

It's between PayPal and "Pay from US bank account.", see screenshot below. I hope this is enough to make you happy.

My VoIP News

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

Re: callwithus

I have used CWU as an alternate/backup provider a year or so ago. I have little to complain about the service, it worked right after a quick chat with support... and it is sure affordable.

The website isn't very appealing though...

Review by arpawocky See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Awesome. Free calling to tollfree. Reliable LRN dipping."
Overall "Highly recommend"

Currently using CWU for the following:
Termination to US Toll-Free destinations
LRN, OCN, and Carrier lookups.

The termination to tollfree is free as it should be, and the audio quality is perfect.
The LRN etc lookups are fast and accurate, and the pricing is competitive.

Highly recommend

member for 228 days, 274 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..

Callcentric, through SIP Broker, also provides free toll-free calling

Not to dis CallWithUs, but Callcentric also provides free toll-free calling through SIP Broker if you dial **275* + the toll-free number. I setup my Obi110 unit to automatically (*) add prepend the **275* to any toll-free number dialed and route it through Callcentric. Works great... no issues yet. Took some doing (thanks RonR for your helpful post(s?) here (and/or the Obitalk forum?)), but it works great.

* Except for 844 numbers... I need to fix my dialplan to include those numbers as well.

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Grosse Pointe,Wayne,MI
Good "Reasonably priced BYOD; very helpful support"
Bad "call quality can be so-so but easy to specify trunks to exclude"
Overall "Perfect backup option no cost unless you use them"

5/3/2014 We went back to using CWU for all international calls after having yet another instance of being unable to complete calls with our previous #2 company. Fortunately CWU was still active and ready. There were some problems with bad trunks. A quick reply from support told me I could exclude specific trunks from edit user settings. This did the trick! CWU is now totally wife approved for calls to Greece and trunk 75 at $0.01138 is still cheaper than most.

The analog phones in the house are connected to an OBi with VOIP.MS on SP1 for a local number and 911 service. SP2 is now CWU. My wife is used to 2 line phones, so she has no issue dialing **2 in front of phone numbers on 'line 2'.

The real magic is that our Greek DID from Anveo is forwarded via a SIP URI to 2 OBi adapters and an Aastra that all register to the same CWU account. The calls work well and there is absolutely no extra cost. I view it as an amazing gift from Sergey and CWU. The DID calls forward to username@did.callwithus.com. I had to setup STUN, so the calls would connect because CWU does not proxy the call for free.

7/3/2012 Still working fine for us. I still route multiple calls per week (mainly to the US and France) via CWU. We have 2 physical lines active in the house and multiple 2 line phones. When calls are made on line 2 which is PBXes, calls not to Greece go via CWU. This calling pattern goes back to the days when line 1 was analog and my wife is in the habit of making long distance calls on line 2. As Mango says, it really is part of a complete dial plan. I'll keep adding money to my CWU account to make sure I have more than one option to complete calls.

4/3/2010 The majority of my long distance calls to the US and most of Europe go via CWU. I had my default switched to premium trunks, but periodically calls to Greece were unacceptable. To fix that problem I now route calls to Greece via a Greek VOIP provider. Sergey tried, but I conclude that reliable Greek trunks at reasonable prices are essentially nonexistent. We had very similar problems with other providers.

CWU is just so flexible and reasonably priced, that I am happy to continue to doing business with them.

2007 Initial Review: I switched to CWU as my only outgoing provider in July 2007 because their rates to Greece were good. They were essentially my only outgoing provider registered on my ATA. I've always had good luck using CWU when traveling from my laptop.

After about a year of good service I discovered my wife had stopped calling on the VOIP line because calls were not connecting. I reported the problem and Sergey had me precede each call with *33 with gave us the premium trunk (for higher cost). Calls were acceptable again. Sergey had to tell me how to change my SPA dialplan to accept *33. He reported that he would "work with the first route provider, if they can't fix the problem soon I will remove them from call routing to Greece." I've seen forum entries that this is common among the lower cost VOIP providers. They don't know something wrong unless a customer complains.

Now I have set up an asterisk server and am using someone else as default for calling to Greece to keep my 'wife acceptance factor' rating up. But I do use CWU as a backup and as my primary for calling from my laptop. A no cost backup is good to have. Lately I have noticed CWU outages that last a few hours.

If my Grand Central number ever goes away my plan was to buy a DID from CWU. Unfortunately they no longer offer DIDs to US residents because of mandatory e911 requirements. I'm just so impressed with the honest classy effort from CWU, that I wanted to buy more from them.

Comments:

Review by yahoo2003 See Profile

• Location: Mclean,Fairfax,VA
Good "Great rates for US and international, great service and customer support"
Overall "Must have PAYG provier for residential and business"

·Anveo
My wife has been using CWU as main provider for international and business calls, she has made 2650 calls during the last 7 months and she has been very happy about the quality, reliability and cost. Caller Name/ID for her business have always been working.

Made over 1700 personal, business and international calls during the last 5 months with no issues, just added another $25. Technical support has been great.

No issues after 3 months for a small business and for international calls. Rates are great for both US and International calls.

My wife has been using CWU for a month for a small business, no voice quality or reliability issues.
The best PAYG rates for US and international calls.
Customer service is very knowledgeable, and very prompt (always within few minutes).
Web interface is excellent, you can configure almost anything desirable for VOIP, e.g., adding sub-accounts, change SIP password, set CID for every sub-account, set max rates, length and cost.
I highly recommend CWU as main or backup provider for US and international calls, for residential and business users.

(10/26/2012) Everything has been working great for about 2 year

(2/15/2012) Great serivce and price.