callwithus page on DSLReports

Review by PX Eliezer See Profile

• Location: Outland
Good "Solid VoIP calling service, value-priced, with some unique features. "
Bad "No number porting or 911; not for the newbie."
Overall "Good VoIP service especially for international, PBX/Asterisk, and ancillary uses."

·Optimum Voice
·Callcentric
Call With Us is a reliable SIP-friendly service which is my oldest VoIP provider.

Strengths are value pricing, outbound calling, international calls, and for use by the PBX/Asterisk crowd.

DID's are offered but there is also the availability of free SIP URI forwarding from other DID providers.

VPN access is available, as are some newer features such as Find Me, optional inbound CNAM, and Caller ID blocking.

The North American Number Lookup is an excellent tool for looking up which LEC serves a particular phone number, and if available it also tells the CNAM. The data is updated quickly. There is a very small charge per lookup.

A very good provider overall.

member for 1.5 years, 937 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

callwithus

They could create some decent payment options. That Pay Pal is a deal breaker.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace

said by cb14:

They could create some decent payment options.

You can pay with PayPal, Dwolla and credit cards. It's even possible to set up auto refill with credit cards.

What more do you need?

The only missing payment option is BitCoin.
My VoIP News

·Google Voice
·magicjack.com

said by Arne Bolen See Profile

[/bquote :

Their not so great web site does not mention credit cards. I will be happy to be proven wrong here.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace

2 edits

said by cb14:

It's between PayPal and "Pay from US bank account.", see screenshot below. I hope this is enough to make you happy.

My VoIP News

Re: callwithus

I have used CWU as an alternate/backup provider a year or so ago. I have little to complain about the service, it worked right after a quick chat with support... and it is sure affordable.

The website isn't very appealing though...

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Amazing rates , great ad on services, excellent call quality."
Bad "Not that great for incoming service, half azz web site."
Overall "Absolutely recommended."

editet 2014-06-04
First an apology- I do not give easily 100% ratings just because I like the service.
Value for the money is unbeatable on small retail level. Most of the rates are highly competitive, especially the rates to European cell phones.
In the US, toll free calls are indeed toll free .
CWU provides some very valuable services : Calling card service, Callback,NAM number look up, choosing your CLID from your registered numbers and more.
The ability to choose the routes will help you to get the best quality for the lowest price.
Call quality has been so far excellent and comparable to other quality providers, certainly on premium and PSTN routing.I have not experienced one single call with significant problems.
Reliability has been excellent so far. The reason why I am giving only 75 % rating is the lack of verifiable information about geographical and personal redundancy- it's no secret that CWU is a small company.
The web site needs work. Difficult to use,some relevant information is missing and I have troubles even reading the price sheets without downloading expensive software. I decided to reduce the rating to 50%.
Installation was not quite easy but not too bad.
Tech support good and surprisingly fast, but not perfect. A total newbie may run into issues.
The incoming service is very basic and I chose not to use it.
And that's what Callwithus is- a great second choice. I do not recommend it as the only provider, but whoever uses multiple providers CWU should definitely be one of the choices.

Comments:

Review by arpawocky See Profile

Good "Awesome. Free calling to tollfree. Reliable LRN dipping."
Overall "Highly recommend"

Currently using CWU for the following:
Termination to US Toll-Free destinations
LRN, OCN, and Carrier lookups.

The termination to tollfree is free as it should be, and the audio quality is perfect.
The LRN etc lookups are fast and accurate, and the pricing is competitive.

Highly recommend

member for 161 days, 172 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com

Callcentric, through SIP Broker, also provides free toll-free calling

Not to dis CallWithUs, but Callcentric also provides free toll-free calling through SIP Broker if you dial **275* + the toll-free number. I setup my Obi110 unit to automatically (*) add prepend the **275* to any toll-free number dialed and route it through Callcentric. Works great... no issues yet. Took some doing (thanks RonR for your helpful post(s?) here (and/or the Obitalk forum?)), but it works great.

* Except for 844 numbers... I need to fix my dialplan to include those numbers as well.

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Grosse Pointe,Wayne,MI
Good "Reasonably priced BYOD; very helpful support"
Bad "call quality can be so-so but easy to specify trunks to exclude"
Overall "Perfect backup option no cost unless you use them"

·localphone.com
5/3/2014 We went back to using CWU for all international calls after having yet another instance of being unable to complete calls with our previous #2 company. Fortunately CWU was still active and ready. There were some problems with bad trunks. A quick reply from support told me I could exclude specific trunks from edit user settings. This did the trick! CWU is now totally wife approved for calls to Greece and trunk 75 at $0.01138 is still cheaper than most.

The analog phones in the house are connected to an OBi with VOIP.MS on SP1 for a local number and 911 service. SP2 is now CWU. My wife is used to 2 line phones, so she has no issue dialing **2 in front of phone numbers on 'line 2'.

The real magic is that our Greek DID from Anveo is forwarded via a SIP URI to 2 OBi adapters and an Aastra that all register to the same CWU account. The calls work well and there is absolutely no extra cost. I view it as an amazing gift from Sergey and CWU. The DID calls forward to username@did.callwithus.com. I had to setup STUN, so the calls would connect because CWU does not proxy the call for free.

7/3/2012 Still working fine for us. I still route multiple calls per week (mainly to the US and France) via CWU. We have 2 physical lines active in the house and multiple 2 line phones. When calls are made on line 2 which is PBXes, calls not to Greece go via CWU. This calling pattern goes back to the days when line 1 was analog and my wife is in the habit of making long distance calls on line 2. As Mango says, it really is part of a complete dial plan. I'll keep adding money to my CWU account to make sure I have more than one option to complete calls.

4/3/2010 The majority of my long distance calls to the US and most of Europe go via CWU. I had my default switched to premium trunks, but periodically calls to Greece were unacceptable. To fix that problem I now route calls to Greece via a Greek VOIP provider. Sergey tried, but I conclude that reliable Greek trunks at reasonable prices are essentially nonexistent. We had very similar problems with other providers.

CWU is just so flexible and reasonably priced, that I am happy to continue to doing business with them.

2007 Initial Review: I switched to CWU as my only outgoing provider in July 2007 because their rates to Greece were good. They were essentially my only outgoing provider registered on my ATA. I've always had good luck using CWU when traveling from my laptop.

After about a year of good service I discovered my wife had stopped calling on the VOIP line because calls were not connecting. I reported the problem and Sergey had me precede each call with *33 with gave us the premium trunk (for higher cost). Calls were acceptable again. Sergey had to tell me how to change my SPA dialplan to accept *33. He reported that he would "work with the first route provider, if they can't fix the problem soon I will remove them from call routing to Greece." I've seen forum entries that this is common among the lower cost VOIP providers. They don't know something wrong unless a customer complains.

Now I have set up an asterisk server and am using someone else as default for calling to Greece to keep my 'wife acceptance factor' rating up. But I do use CWU as a backup and as my primary for calling from my laptop. A no cost backup is good to have. Lately I have noticed CWU outages that last a few hours.

If my Grand Central number ever goes away my plan was to buy a DID from CWU. Unfortunately they no longer offer DIDs to US residents because of mandatory e911 requirements. I'm just so impressed with the honest classy effort from CWU, that I wanted to buy more from them.

Comments:

Review by gbh2o See Profile

• Location: Longs,Horry,SC
Good "Variety of services. Simple management. Good Prices and solid performance"
Bad "No 'plans'? Naw, that doesn't count!"
Overall "Great for BYOD and asterisk-type users."

·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO
20140215 - UPDATE - More features and flexibility. Still the same reliable VoSP.

20131004 - UPDATE - Bump... keeps taking over more of my outbound traffic just due to reliability and flexibility. First choice when another carrier's routing goes substandard on me.

20130327 - UPDATE - Bump... what else can I say? Just plain GREAT!!!

20121117 - UPDATE - CWU just keeps getting better and better, yet still maintains a simple, easy to use website.

20120522 UPDATE - BUMP. Hmm, just see my previous comments. I expect to keep using CWU for many years to come!

20111209 - UPDATE - Hmm, just see my previous comments. I expect to keep using CWU for many years to come!

20110604 - UPDATE - What a GREAT way to do business. Simple terms, rock-solid service and flexibility.

20110131 UPDATE - The real no BS deal. Even more features and flexibility as time passes, while maintaining the same GREAT service and reliability.

20101112 UPDATE - Still no BS, just great rock-solid service.

20100310 UPDATE - CallWithUs is dedicated to providing the best service that they choose to offer! Unique for their simplicity of web view, backed with solid performance. Perfect for those that like to roll-their-own systems and understand a little bit of what they are doing. Don't expect any BS or small talk. GREAT!

20091101 UPDATE - CallWithUs just gets better with age. Better prices and features.

20090407 UPDATE - The best Terms of Service and philosophy, without a doubt, for BYOD users. Robust feature support. Well-designed web site, with lots of good information and examples. Value and reliability together.

20090109 UPDATE - CWU just keeps getting better!

20080617 UPDATE - Still getting everything I expect! Great reliability, service and quality with reasonable prices. I am amazed at just how flexible they have made the services offered.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

CallWithUs (CWU) is not for those seeking a standard' or flat-rate service plan. It is oriented to those who would use bring-your-own-devices [BYOD] or centralized PBX software like asterisk.

Personally, I found the CallWithUs website refreshingly simple and wonderfully usable and functional! Tech support knows their business and provided insightful assistance when requested. On-line setup instructions and generous examples are great.

I really appreciate the ability to choose the amount of 'risk' acceptable by using different levels of VoIP vendors supplying them with numbers. I have found that the numerical rating assigned by CWU may also reflect the expected quality and reliability of service from that 'level' of vendor. I have had no service problems since signing with them.

There are no hidden government taxes or BS fees to boost their bottom line. What you see is what you pay. I find their rates quite reasonable.

Their services just work reliably.

member for 13.7 years, 4822 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

PRBS

@bell.ca

lol

Sooo, you don't work there do you. lol.
gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
·Future Nine Corp..

Re: lol

said by PRBS :

Sooo, you don't work there do you. lol.

It is hard to take an anonymous users' question seriously, but no I do not work the CWU. I believe anyone that made the tiny effort to use the search function could discover that.

If you are just a troll... be gone with you!

Review by yahoo2003 See Profile

• Location: Mclean,Fairfax,VA
Good "Great rates for US and international, great service and customer support"
Overall "Must have PAYG provier for residential and business"

·Anveo
My wife has been using CWU as main provider for international and business calls, she has made 2650 calls during the last 7 months and she has been very happy about the quality, reliability and cost. Caller Name/ID for her business have always been working.

Made over 1700 personal, business and international calls during the last 5 months with no issues, just added another $25. Technical support has been great.

No issues after 3 months for a small business and for international calls. Rates are great for both US and International calls.

My wife has been using CWU for a month for a small business, no voice quality or reliability issues.
The best PAYG rates for US and international calls.
Customer service is very knowledgeable, and very prompt (always within few minutes).
Web interface is excellent, you can configure almost anything desirable for VOIP, e.g., adding sub-accounts, change SIP password, set CID for every sub-account, set max rates, length and cost.
I highly recommend CWU as main or backup provider for US and international calls, for residential and business users.

(10/26/2012) Everything has been working great for about 2 year

(2/15/2012) Great serivce and price.

Comments:

Review by Igorella See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "Very affordable VOIP provider, quick email tech support,many price/quality choices"
Bad "No specific fax over IP protocols"
Overall "Highly recommended if fax is of no concern"

After several years with Callwithus I am one satisfied customer. My service consists of 4 voip accounts, 2 DID numbers (UK and Canada), local dial-in number for long distance calls from mobile or offsite (supports caller ID detection for pinless calling), automatic account refill option. My hardware is Lynksys SPA2101 (2 incoming DID lines) plus softphones on Android, Windows, iPhone and Mac. The only desirable feature I could not use is faxing over IP, but thay is a common VOIP problem. Tech support recommended use of the premium routing for fax, but I could not use it as their commands for dial prefixes interfere with SPA2101 (or any other Cisco/Linksys/Sapura switch). All in all great and very cheap choice IMHO.

Comments:

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Excellent Tech support"
Bad "website design is not the best"
Overall "Good for outgoing Voip calls"

Callwithus provides outgoing Voip calls. There are no regular monthly costs and there is no contract. They charge one cent a minute in the US, ($0.00991) PAYG and BYOD. The service is reliable, the sound quality of the call is good and the tech support is competent and prompt. They take pride in the humbleness of their website: it looks like it was designed by kids - to keep things simple.

They do not provide E911 (which I do not need as I have a PSTN phone) and they do not provide a US DID. Incoming calls can be received into a phone registered with a CWU account by Sip forwarding. During the DDOS attacks and Hurricane Sandy, I had incoming calls from my Callcentric DID forwarded to my CWU Sip address.

I have been a satisfied Callwithus customer for three years.

Updated August 2012 - Their per-minute price has dropped from 0.00991 to 0.0095. CWU is keeping up its standards and I am happy with the service.

Updated January 2013 CWU provides a screen to look up a phone number in North America. It tells you the name of the caller (CNAM), the carrier and the location.

NYC Dec 1 2013. I am happy with the service and I recommend this provider.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

US DID

quote:
they do not provide a US DID
Well, technically true, but nothing prevents you from forwarding IPKall DID to CWU's servers. So, if you register your device with CWU, you can receive calls on a Washington state DID.

Obviously, CWU doesn't have control over IPKall, so if IPKall stop providing DIDs, the quoted statement will be not only technically true - but also practically true.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Agreed.

Unfortunately, since CWU doesn't port numbers directly, it can be inconvenient. My favorite function is CWU as a discount outgoing and fallback incoming carrier.

I used CWU as our outgoing carrier for awhile, with CallCentric as the incoming. That worked fine. However, with business at present, agent funds have covered all my CC costs. So CWU is there as a backup.

CWU gets the job done pretty well, and if I ever lose connection to CC (like in the event of a DDoS attack)... Calls forward to CWU and back to me... so the phones keep working.

Review by gagamba See Profile

Good "Good call quality at reasonable prices"

May 2013
Invoices almost 4,000 USD
- very satisfied with the services. Thanks CallWithUs.

2013 update review:
Invoices - TOTAL = 3,253 USD
we are very satisfied with CallWithUs.
You guys are cool!

2012
Have been with them for around 2 years now. They are definitely one of those few voip providers that offer quality, low cost and honest services. With our business projections, our calls are definitely going to increase in the future as well, we are thankful that there is CallWithUs that assures us that our international calling will be on a business level quality while helping us keep our operating cost lower.

Comments:

VexorgTR

You must call LOTS!

CallWithUs is pretty low cost.... you must run a call center to see invoices like that!

CallWithUs is indeed a fair choice for low cost calling. Decent quality audio, decent connect times.... makes for a Very good value. Customer support is helpful too.

Review by PX Eliezer7 See Profile

• Location: Hutt River
Good "Good quality service at great rates."
Bad "No 911, no porting."
Overall "Excellent choice for the tech-oriented customer; solid no-frills provider."

I have been using them for a few years now. Things work well, nothing much to say. Service is good, rates are very good, no monthly fees.

Many people use CWU specifically for international calls, sometimes as a backup carrier.

Note that 911 service is not provided, so you do need another arrangement for that! There is also a $ 1 monthly charge if you want voicemail.

CWU is not for those who want a turnkey solution. Folks do need to be intimate with their ATA and router devices. The website is functional but basic. (No call forwarding, for example, because you are expected to use your own ATA or Asterisk to arrange that).

They also have a North America Number Lookup function for a small fee, the best around at telling which CLEC controls a phone number. Usually the caller ID name is available as well, again, very accurate.

CWU offers a connection through VPN which can be very useful if you are in a country that tries to block VoIP.

For those who are experienced users, CWU can be an excellent part of a balanced Voip program. I think that their biggest strength is outbound calling, worldwide.

member for 6.1 years, 2568 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

US DID numbers

CWU again offers US DID numbers to US residents, though the monthly price and the charges for inbound minutes vary depending on the number selected.