callwithus page on DSLReports

Review by garys_2k See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "Great call quality, ability to set my CID"
Bad "Not much, a fantastic niche player"
Overall "My new outbound backup provider!"

·Callcentric
I setup CWU to be my default outgoing provider while enduring Callcentric's DDoS and hurricane Sandy issues and they were fantastic. The ability to set my CID to my Callcentric DID was very helpful and, while using them, experienced NO dropped calls, misdials or other VOIP oddities. They just worked!

Setup was easy! Opened an account, set my outbound CID to my desired number and set Callcentric to SIP-forward my incoming calls to CWU. Set my ATA to register to them and I was good to go.

Nice job, Callwithus!

member for 10.1 years, 3611 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by VexorgTR See Profile

• Location: Sheffield Lake,Lorain,OH
Good "Super Cheap Pricing!"
Bad "No Number Porting, Limited DID choice."
Overall "Makes a nice auxiliary line"

If you are looking to get some dirt cheap long distance, or add an auxiliary line, Callwithus works ok for that. for a BYOD, their site has decent instructions, but it takes a little reading to be sure you know what's going on.

The pricing makes it a great deal, but lack of 911, and being able to port numbers to it, leaves them as a choice for an auxiliary line. As a first line, it would not be my choice, but to have a second or third line to call out on, it's PERFECT for that. When price matters more than features and numbers, Give CallWithUs a Try.

member for 1.8 years, 497 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Arne Bolen See Profile

• Location: Planet Earth
Good "Direct audio path for best audio quality"
Overall "Low rates and high quality"

·Callcentric
The direct audio path from the carrier is something I really like with CallWithUs.

Another good feature is that I can choose which carrier to use for outbound calls.

Call rates are very low especially to European cell phones.

Excellent web portal.

member for 5 years, 2454 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tsuda See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Simple to set up, works with good audio quality"
Bad "charges 3-4% fee for payments <$25"

·ITalkBB
Using this service with voip.ms and callcentric.
It's easy to set up and audio quality is good.
Termination and voice quality for calling China is much better than voip.ms
Signed up to take advantage of SIP over TCP to save battery on Android phones, but it doesn't work with the Csipsimple client.

Downside is they charge 3-4% fee for payments!

Comments:
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
·callwithus

Keep in mind....

[Downside is they charge 3-4% fee for payments]

That is true but it only applies to very small payments, and the company has to make up the fees that PayPal and Google charge for processing these transactions.

Keep in mind that CallWithUs has rock-bottom rates, and no monthly fees.

---------------------------------------------

The OTHER way to approach the problem of small payments is simply not to allow them....

....as for example Voip.MS requires minimum payments of $25.

Would you prefer that?

Review by r212raa See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Keep It Simple, good rates, good support"
Bad "Keeping it really simple means no DID porting"
Overall "Do not dismiss it by just looking at their website!"

·FreePhoneLine
I saw this company last year and dismissed it after looking at their website. I was wrong! Once I read reviews again and signed up for an account, I knew I was dealing with a serious company.

Pricing for international calls are good. DIDs are good as well but you can't bring your number. If you need to keep your number, use this as an outgoing service. If you don't care about a random number, they offer cheapest 3000 minute incoming plan in my area.

Tech support is good and responsive. It is probably as good as it gets in an one-man operation. There are ups and downs to this but for what I need, this is perfect. I'm not looking for 24/7 VOIP support from SHAW for $30 a month.

There was website outage for one day but calls still went through. It was up by next morning.

Comments:

Review by wcweaver See Profile

• Location: Fort Myers,Lee,FL
Good "Great voice qualiy for cheap price especially international"
Bad "Only eleven digit dialing for local calls, and they do not port numbers in"
Overall "Use only for outbound and international"

Great quality service. Only use for outbound calls Would probably switch to them for inbound if they would port in my number. May get a second number as they do offer 239 area code numbers.

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
Good "Configurable routing, Direct Media, LRN Lookup, SMS, VPN"
Overall "Part of a complete dial plan(TM)!"

·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice
If I ran a VoIP provider, I would run one just like CallWithUs. Fortunately, this has already been done - by CallWithUs - so I don't have to.

CallWithUs has several features that I haven't found from any other provider I like:

- Configurable routing: Many VoIP providers let you choose between a couple of routes, but when I entered my phone number into the simulator, it came up with a dozen or more! Being more than slightly obsessive, I evaluated all of them. All but two had excellent audio quality. I tested further and discovered that two of them correctly passed Caller ID Name to Canadian destinations.

- Direct media: CallWithUs gives you the option to have their media gateway proxy audio, or, if you're not behind NAT, set up a direct media path between their carrier and you. In some cases, this can lower latency.

- LRN Lookup: This is their newest feature, and my absolute favourite one. Now I can look up the carrier of any North American number. This will be especially useful in troubleshooting DIDs. I know of no other inexpensive source to look up LRN of Canadian numbers.

- SMS and VPN: Since CallWithUs is the only provider I know that offers these, I mention them here. I have never used them but it's nice to know I can if I need to.

CallWithUs's technical support is very very fast. I wonder, does Sokhapkin WEAR his computer?

CallWithUs is not a full service VoIP provider - for example, they do not offer e911. This is actually a good thing; by limiting their services to those required by advanced users, they can keep staffing cost low - in fact, the company is run entirely by its owner.

Conclusion: I highly recommend CallWithUs and I think it is Part of a Complete Dial Plan(TM).

member for 5.5 years, 3283 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good connection, low price, US access number"
Bad "some contries unrechable"
Overall "Excellent provider"

·PHONE POWER
UPDATE May 2012:
Still awesome service. With smartphones proliferating, I have a SIP client on my Android phone, and I am calling through WiFi - SIP client more often than through access number.
Neither CallWithUs nor Betamax prices changed in the last several years, but with Euro getting more expensive - CWU prices are now consistently less than those of Betamax.

Highly recommend!
---------------------------------------------
I've used Call With Us for about a year now. Can't say enough good things about them. Excellent voice quality, and ease of connection. Prices are very competitive. I use it along with VoipDiscount, so it is easier for me to compare the two.

VoipDiscount (as well as other BetaMax companies) has free calling to US - so web calls and external PBX solutions where provider makes calls to both destinations don't add any cost. CWU is 1.5c/min for US.

On the upside, I could never get a response from VoipDiscount; whereas CWU responds in less than 24 hours (sometimes in a few hours). Also, you can pay through PayPal and Google Checkout.

About the website. While the site is intentionally very simplistic, there is a feature that I haven't seen anywhere else. It has well-defined APIs, so you can retrieve data programmatically. Also, you can specify "VoIP accounts", so I know, which of the sources the call originated. I have two ATAs, and two cell phones that use one CWU account - so it's a nice feature.

CWU does not allow incoming SipBroker calls, but you can forward IPKall numbers to sip.callwithus.com - so it can be used as DID - if you are OK with Washington State phone number. They stopped offering DIDs, but frankly, their DID prices were not very competitive to begin with.

Last, they have access number (in Ohio) - so I can use it as an old-time "prepaid card" call if I want to call abroad from my cell phone.

Two annoyances that I had this year. For some reasons couldn't reach Ukraine and Belarus on default trunk. The calls showed connected but the other party didn't even hear the phone ringing. Which was annoying, since these are more expensive countries (Ukraine - 9c/min, Belarus - 20c/min). For Ukraine Sergey suggested to force a different provider (a penny more, but I never had a problem), and for Belarus I am using VoipDiscount.

Overall - great provider

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

comments

CWU is presently $0.0095/min. to US. For click-to-call, etc., you can usually have the originating leg go VoIP, so a PSTN call is not needed at all.

CWU does offer US DIDs, but you must order from a non-US IP address (because they don't offer 911). IMO, the cost (typically $4.50) is not unreasonable, given that you get several channels and 3000 minutes, with business use permitted, etc. You can also use e.g. a free Callcentric DID, forwarded to CWU by SIP URI.

For Belarus (and possibly Ukraine), you might give Voxbeam a try. You get a small credit at signup, so you can test without making a payment.

Review by Steeler Fan See Profile

• Location: Wexford,Allegheny,PA
Good "Great Prices, very responsive Tech Support..."
Bad "Audio on calls frequently dropped. Caller ID is almost NEVER correct..."
Overall "Budget plan for those not needing reliabiliity."

Finally switched off CallWithUS,

The outgoing Caller ID is almost never correct. I tried using their premium rate plans, etc. and still people would tell me that my caller ID was something weird from many states away... I would get it fixed with Tech Support then the next week the people I call would tell me they don't answer my calls because they don't recognize the Caller ID. This is pretty poor.

Also, with increasing frequency, the audio on the other party's side would frequently go out, requiring me to call them back. I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me.

It would also frequently take 2 tries to get through.

Now, some of the audio issues and connectivity may be due to living in Asia and having sub-par internet service. Still, that should never affect the Caller ID.

Was a CallWithUs customer for maybe 2 years.

Tech support was very responsive and I could get an answer very quickly.

Something to note: CallWithUs apparently stopped providing USA DIS's?

Ultimately, the inability to keep CallerID correct caused me to switch carriers. Since switching, I have

member for 2.5 years, 2 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

What *is* the correct number

Hi Steeler Fan - welcome to DSL forums.

Given that you don't have DID with CWU, what would be a correct caller ID number? Or you mean that CWU doesn't provide Caller ID spoofing in the way you expect it to? By the way, for me it does show my cell phone number... not sure how I set it up, though.
Last. While lack of CallerID spoofing might be devastating, you never mentioned any problems with reliability or "value for the money". Yet you rate them at 25% (well below my 4-year experience with them). I am not saying that my experience is the only valid (especially that I don't have sub-par ISP service) - I am saying that your review doesn't come across very convincing.

Take a look at other reviews. It may help you write better reviews in the future. Good luck!

Review by kentoc See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Low Cost, E911 Not Required"
Overall "Reliable provider of the absolutely lowest cost outbound VOIP service"

So far, I have found CallWithUs to be a reliable low cost provider that fits my need for outbound VOIP services. I haven't found any SIP providers who charge less than 1 cent per minute for US calls. Since I maintain a basic PSTN phone connection for inbound and local calls, I have no need for the redundant cost of E911 service that some service providers are forced by the US Guberment to provide for some reason (Provisioning of US DID numbers?) without regard for those of us that still have a basic PSTN service. While CallWithUs may not have all the bells and whistles that some service providers offer, the services they offer are sufficient for my needs.