callwithus page on DSLReports

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
Good "Configurable routing, Direct Media, LRN Lookup, SMS, VPN"
Overall "Part of a complete dial plan(TM)!"

·Callcentric
·AcroVoice
·Anveo
If I ran a VoIP provider, I would run one just like CallWithUs. Fortunately, this has already been done - by CallWithUs - so I don't have to.

CallWithUs has several features that I haven't found from any other provider I like:

- Configurable routing: Many VoIP providers let you choose between a couple of routes, but when I entered my phone number into the simulator, it came up with a dozen or more! Being more than slightly obsessive, I evaluated all of them. All but two had excellent audio quality. I tested further and discovered that two of them correctly passed Caller ID Name to Canadian destinations.

- Direct media: CallWithUs gives you the option to have their media gateway proxy audio, or, if you're not behind NAT, set up a direct media path between their carrier and you. In some cases, this can lower latency.

- LRN Lookup: This is their newest feature, and my absolute favourite one. Now I can look up the carrier of any North American number. This will be especially useful in troubleshooting DIDs. I know of no other inexpensive source to look up LRN of Canadian numbers.

- SMS and VPN: Since CallWithUs is the only provider I know that offers these, I mention them here. I have never used them but it's nice to know I can if I need to.

CallWithUs's technical support is very very fast. I wonder, does Sokhapkin WEAR his computer?

CallWithUs is not a full service VoIP provider - for example, they do not offer e911. This is actually a good thing; by limiting their services to those required by advanced users, they can keep staffing cost low - in fact, the company is run entirely by its owner.

Conclusion: I highly recommend CallWithUs and I think it is Part of a Complete Dial Plan(TM).

member for 6.1 years, 3691 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good connection, low price, US access number"
Bad "some contries unrechable"
Overall "Excellent provider"

·PHONE POWER
UPDATE May 2012:
Still awesome service. With smartphones proliferating, I have a SIP client on my Android phone, and I am calling through WiFi - SIP client more often than through access number.
Neither CallWithUs nor Betamax prices changed in the last several years, but with Euro getting more expensive - CWU prices are now consistently less than those of Betamax.

Highly recommend!
---------------------------------------------
I've used Call With Us for about a year now. Can't say enough good things about them. Excellent voice quality, and ease of connection. Prices are very competitive. I use it along with VoipDiscount, so it is easier for me to compare the two.

VoipDiscount (as well as other BetaMax companies) has free calling to US - so web calls and external PBX solutions where provider makes calls to both destinations don't add any cost. CWU is 1.5c/min for US.

On the upside, I could never get a response from VoipDiscount; whereas CWU responds in less than 24 hours (sometimes in a few hours). Also, you can pay through PayPal and Google Checkout.

About the website. While the site is intentionally very simplistic, there is a feature that I haven't seen anywhere else. It has well-defined APIs, so you can retrieve data programmatically. Also, you can specify "VoIP accounts", so I know, which of the sources the call originated. I have two ATAs, and two cell phones that use one CWU account - so it's a nice feature.

CWU does not allow incoming SipBroker calls, but you can forward IPKall numbers to sip.callwithus.com - so it can be used as DID - if you are OK with Washington State phone number. They stopped offering DIDs, but frankly, their DID prices were not very competitive to begin with.

Last, they have access number (in Ohio) - so I can use it as an old-time "prepaid card" call if I want to call abroad from my cell phone.

Two annoyances that I had this year. For some reasons couldn't reach Ukraine and Belarus on default trunk. The calls showed connected but the other party didn't even hear the phone ringing. Which was annoying, since these are more expensive countries (Ukraine - 9c/min, Belarus - 20c/min). For Ukraine Sergey suggested to force a different provider (a penny more, but I never had a problem), and for Belarus I am using VoipDiscount.

Overall - great provider

Comments:

Review by Steeler Fan See Profile

• Location: Wexford,Allegheny,PA
Good "Great Prices, very responsive Tech Support..."
Bad "Audio on calls frequently dropped. Caller ID is almost NEVER correct..."
Overall "Budget plan for those not needing reliabiliity."

·VOIPO
Finally switched off CallWithUS,

The outgoing Caller ID is almost never correct. I tried using their premium rate plans, etc. and still people would tell me that my caller ID was something weird from many states away... I would get it fixed with Tech Support then the next week the people I call would tell me they don't answer my calls because they don't recognize the Caller ID. This is pretty poor.

Also, with increasing frequency, the audio on the other party's side would frequently go out, requiring me to call them back. I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me.

It would also frequently take 2 tries to get through.

Now, some of the audio issues and connectivity may be due to living in Asia and having sub-par internet service. Still, that should never affect the Caller ID.

Was a CallWithUs customer for maybe 2 years.

Tech support was very responsive and I could get an answer very quickly.

Something to note: CallWithUs apparently stopped providing USA DIS's?

Ultimately, the inability to keep CallerID correct caused me to switch carriers. Since switching, I have

Comments:

Review by kentoc See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Low Cost, E911 Not Required"
Overall "Reliable provider of the absolutely lowest cost outbound VOIP service"

So far, I have found CallWithUs to be a reliable low cost provider that fits my need for outbound VOIP services. I haven't found any SIP providers who charge less than 1 cent per minute for US calls. Since I maintain a basic PSTN phone connection for inbound and local calls, I have no need for the redundant cost of E911 service that some service providers are forced by the US Guberment to provide for some reason (Provisioning of US DID numbers?) without regard for those of us that still have a basic PSTN service. While CallWithUs may not have all the bells and whistles that some service providers offer, the services they offer are sufficient for my needs.

Comments:

Review by signmeuptoo See Profile

• Location: NanoParticle
Good "Fantastic rates, fast tech support response, great service"
Bad "website lacks neophyte friendliness, serivce is oriented towards more knowledgable people."
Overall "My gateway was giving problems with the service, had to figure it out on my own but service is great once you've got it working."

I live on a VERY sparse budget. For me, mere pennies are a big deal, no kidding! There are some terrific VOIP outfits, and they each have their pluses and minuses. CWU has excellent rates, better than just about anybody for where I call, and you have the choice of grade of service and which trunks you will allow.

HOWEVER: I haven't found on their site HOW to figure out how to identify each trunk so that I can enter it into my settings. They pronounce the fact that they keep a simple site, and that is true, in my humble opinion, to a fault. They need to hire someone to work with them to make the site easier to use and give better instructions on how to set up an ATA. My ATA is a very common one and their instructions didn't tell me I had to set up a couple settings I needed.

I would have given them a 100% A+ if setup was easier with more detail and better help getting my particular gateway to work with them (crappy ATT 2wire). After a great deal of searching I found out there is a way to get into the 2wire and change settings ATT people can do and I resolved the issue, and then I asked them how things were then and they said all was good now.

The cheapest tier trunk did not work for me to the country I call, but then I set my settings for premium and all was good. I still would love it if they included instructions on some easy to find link on how to find and set trunks.

IF you have the skills and patience to use their service, it is about as good as it gets, rates are great, call quality is decent. But not a service for someone new to VOIP, not until they improve their website.

No US DIDs provided, just something to note.

I would love to know how to set what trunks I use, embarrassingly, I don't know that stuff.

There is no sign up fee, no monthly charge, no contract, no commitment past what you purchase, which is fantastic.

Note that there is a purchasing service fee for orders under 25 dollars (and within a time period), but this is the case with some other competitive services, and if you order 25 bucks after 24 hours of not ordering, it is waived. They use both google and paypal as ways to pay, google is faster, but there is some wait time before the funds are updated.

If you are tech savvy and patient, and have the right hardware, this is just about the best there is from what I can find.

I would love it if they would improve their website and add better tutorials and more detailed instructions on setting up the ATA (analogue telephone adapter). Be aware that this is a bring your own and set up your own, ATA service.

My settings issues were:

Set up STUN properly

and more important:

SIP ALG in the ATT Gateway.

They could explain that better, when I needed help on it they set me to a link on a webpage using tech terms and it didn't help me figure out how to set up the 2wire, but after a bunch of searching online I found out how to fix it.

One service with lower rates is EasyVoip, but they offer a lot less help with setup, have large purchase fees, and calls aren't as good.

Future 9 is easier to set up, didn't have an SP ALG or STUN issue, and rates for me are just a few cents more a minute, and they offer a phone number/incoming calls (for a monthly fee).

But I want to be clear: callwithus is excellent, you just have to put in some effort to use it.

member for 13.2 years, 6329 visits, last login: 198 days ago

Comments:

Review by OmagicQ See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Great per minute rates, Multiple routing choices, Ability to set CID"
Bad "No inbound INum maybe"
Overall "One of the best PayG providers available"

Update 05/21/2011: Still using CWU occasionally for outbound calls with no issues. It just works. As long as I make a call every once in a while to keep it from going dormant, I expect it will keep working great.

I've been using Callwithus for outbound calling for a few weeks now and so far its been great. I have not had any call quality issues that were not due to my dsl line. I like the ability to set the outbound caller id to my google voice number or another number I control. Although I have not made or used sub accounts, I like that the capability is there, so if in the future I need to, its there.

I didn't see a way to get an INum did for free incoming calls, regular dids are available however. If I had to name one bad point that would be it but it's not a dealbreaker though.

I would not hesitate to recommend Callwithus to anyone who needs an alternative or standalone outbound provider for their PSTN calls. With no monthly charges or fees like "Regulatory Recovery Fee" or "Federal Excise Tax" or whatever. You just pay for what you use, plain and simple.

Comments:

Review by thegreatfixe See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great no nonsense Voip"

i use this overseas and its been great i use it on my PAP2 and desktop (X-Lite 4.0)

i am a basic PAYG user and i like the simplicity of everything
CWU offers everything i want in a voip provider
GREAT rates:
Free (USA 800) calling:
works well with IP-Kall
and good customer service through email

i only wish they would have some OEM soft-phone so i can use X-Lite for another account

i was with F9 but they started to get gimmicky and CWU has lower rates

Comments:

Review by kenja00 See Profile

• Location: Brooks,AB
Good "Cheap, straight forward, quick support"
Bad "Little confusing at first with selecting route"
Overall "Two thumbs up, no suprises.... Recommended"

I was a little hesitant to sign up with Callwith us, after reading reviews here, I thought I'd give them a chance...

No problems, very straight forward and quick response on support tickets!

Two thumbs up!

Update: Oct 4/09 - After using them for calls to Canada, I've found many of the cheaper routes do not pass on caller id. I started using route 093, but the audio quality was very poor then... Lots of "Blip, bleep, bleep" in the conversation.

Update: Jan 6/10 - What more can I say, just works and does what it's supposed to! No surprises here...

Update: Aug 13/10 - Still using them, no problems! Very straight forward system and no surprise fees!

Update: 3/22/2010 I had them move me to the "premium plan" which essential allows me to skip all the "grey routes" which has made a difference on my outgoing calls... Tech support has gotten back to me, and usually resolves issues within the hour!

Update: 11/15/2010 - Figured out how to properly setup the different routes on my dialplan and have found CWU even better than before!

Update: 2/23/2011 - At times some of my cheaper routes don't go through, but it's easy enough to select a different route. Although lacking features of some of the other companies, CWU makes up for it in selective routes and reliability.

Comments:

Review by aks0 See Profile

• Location: Framingham,Middlesex,MA
Good "NO BS service, excellent voice quality for overseas router (I use it for India)"
Bad "little less feature compared to VOIP.ms and callcentric and no US DID"
Overall "Value for Money"

I started using this service 3 days before and never would have been more happy.
I will be ditching ALLVOI as my main VOIP provider for this as the sound quality it offers for the calls to US and INDIA and just superb!!! better than my AT&T cell phone.
Though for incoming I have a US DID with callcentric and VOIP.ms as CWU does not provide US DID (I SIP forward to callwithus as I didn't get good result with PBX) and I am evaluating both before deciding on one.
I use premium route for calling India as the rates are same b/w normal and premium so why not use premium..
Their website looks very basic but it is very functional for a normal or geek user. Yes it lacks certain functionality like IVR, recording, 911 but again how many people using VOIP would need those, I don't for sure.
Also there is no extra fees, taxes , govt. fees to pay
I will keep updating as I move on and use more...
aks

member for 4 years, 16 visits, last login: 4 years ago

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Very Cheap"
Bad "Tech Support, Call Quality, US DID Support"

CallWithUs started out as a decent provider. I purchased a DID from them
and was, for the most part, a happy customer. A couple of minor issues
that occurred while I was a happy customer:
1. Sometimes people couldn't hear me talk when I spoke. Tech support
told me to add my cell phone as a call route. That seemed to solve that
issue
2. I had to wait 1-2 seconds after answering the phone before I said
hello. The first 1-2 seconds of a call was always dropped.

Ok, fine, I could live with those. After all, I was paying next to
nothing for calls.

Recently, people started to receive messages saying their call couldn't
be completed as dialed when they called me. After a lot of back and
forth with a CallWithUs tech support person (who was quite rude at
times), it was determined that the problem was on the DID vendor's end:

"I'm 100% sure the problem is on didx.net end, that's one of the reasons
I don't offer US DIDs anymore."

Wait a second, I have a US DID, purchased from CallWithUS...

"Port the number out. Never buy DIDs from didx.net or their resellers."

Wait a second, I didn't buy a DID from "didx.net" - I bought it from
CallWithUs. Sounds like someone over there is confused... Maybe they
forgot they sold me the DID? Do I really care who THEY bought it from?
Long story short, this was the "resolution" from CallWithUS:

"Port the number to another voip provider."

They were a decent provider for a while, but it doesn't appear they want
to be in this business any more. I would only recommend CallWithUs under
the following conditions:
1. You don't need a phone number
2. It's OK if technical support doesn't care if your service works or not
3. You're fine with your service simply not working from time to time
and are willing to take matters in your own hands (see #2)

I'm in the process of switching to CallCentric. They're a bit more
expensive, but if they provide better, more reliable service, it is well
worth it to me.

- Joe (Boca Raton, FL)

(review was emailed from domain drivetrainsolutions.com)