callwithus page on DSLReports

Review by espaeth See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Ability to choose specific routes, competitive calling rates, excellent support"
Bad "60 second billing (minor detractor)"
Overall "Perfect for providing the essentials: calling that just works with acceptable quality"

Over the last few months I've been playing voice quality whack-a-mole with my various termination providers. It's not just a matter of cost, because some of my most expensive providers have delivered some of the poorest sound quality I've experienced. The problem I most frequently run into is carriers that only terminate calls based on least-cost routing (LCR) -- call quality might be great for a couple days to a few weeks, and then a new low cost carrier is substituted in and call quality goes to crap.

I recently switched back to callwithus for outbound termination largely because you can specifically choose outbound routes by prefixing your dialed number. In my case I make occasional calls to UK cell phones and that has been problematic with other providers -- CallerID was hit or miss, and call quality was frequently poor. With callwithus I'm able to select a route that gives both CID and consistent voice quality for a higher per-minute cost. So far US48 termination seems to be great sound quality with the carriers being used. The only small downside compared to other carriers I've used is 60 second billing vs 6 second billing. Ultimately with my current calling volume this isn't a big deal.

Overall I've been very happy with the service with callwithus -- I hope this continues to be a trouble-free calling solution.

member for 13.5 years, 4437 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by slcotten See Profile

• Location: Portugal Cove-St Philips,NL
Good "Great call quality and options, full featured account admin, free incoming SIP"
Bad "Need to be able to learn some technical details re: VOIP, no 911 service"
Overall "Great VoSP that gives customer (me) lots of control, and helps to reduce my phone bill"

==== Background (skip if this bores you) ======
We make quite a few long distance calls, and after evaluating some options to cut cost I decided to try out VOIP. At the time the best deal for the amount of calling we do was the $30/month local telco phone (no features) and $20/month for unlimited US/Canada calling (inc taxes). (Actually what bugged me most was that the local TelCo advertised $25.96 (inc taxes), and yet somehow through fees and so on that they don't tell you about until they actually bill you it was over $30). Looking around I figured that, after some setup cost and switching over to DSL with the telco for a Value Package so that the phone portion would be the equiv of $10/month, I could stop my long distance package and cut my long distance bill in half.

So in August I switched to DSL and ordered an ATA (Linksys SPA2102) from ebay for $56 (inc shipping). Shipping was slow but I did receive it and it works great. Very happy with that equipment.

==== Enter: CallWithUs ==================
I setup an account with CallWithUs over a month ago (12 Sep 2009). I chose CWU initially because of a) the good reviews and option to choose trunks and b) they had DIDs available in my local calling area when I could find them no where else. I initially added $10 credit to test outgoing only before making the jump and purchasing the DID and to see if it would be sufficient for my needs.

I was happy with the initial test, and after a few days, decided to go ahead and get that DID. The DID was $3 to setup and $4.50 a month for 3000 incoming minutes, 2 channels. It was setup and ready to use immediately, and worked like a charm.

I did encounter some issues trying to call toll free numbers in Canada. Some of them would give me a "The number you are trying to call is not available from your calling area" type message. After some research and fiddling around I modified my dial plan to use SipPhone for toll free numbers.

I also wanted to setup the DID to ring through to my local phone (and later cell phone) if the ATA is offline or my Internet is down. I couldn't get this to work initially so I emailed CallWithUs support. It was responded to very quickly with the solution: apparently the registration interval on the SPA defaulted to 3600 s (1 hour) which was too long and 3 minutes was suggested. I guess the CWU server was thinking that my ATA was still online within that hour and wasn't failing over. Now it works perfectly.

I am very fond of the detailed call logs and account management web site. It may seem a little rough around the edges in appearance, but it does function, and is very full featured.

I have not yet used the trunk selection features, as the call quality as almost always been very acceptable and most of the time excellent with the default (least expensive) routes/trunks. In fact, call quality to the US is almost always exceptional much better than land-line. I have found that call-quality to Canada is very good for the most part, but occasionally it is not as good (about on par with scratchy cell quality). That hasn't happened frequently enough for me to identify if it's a particular trunk, or enough to worry about using the trunk selection feature. It's nice to know it's available though.

==== Summary ========================
I am extremely happy with my experience with CallWithUs.

I like the control I have over my phone services, and the possibility I have of integrating with other users using IP dialing, sipbroker, etc. Their web site and phone access features have everything that I have needed so far, with the exception of toll free access to some Canadian numbers (I'm sure the toll free service works great for US numbers). Their billing is straight forward, and you pay for what you get and there are no hidden fees or extra charges.

Total, my setup costs were about $60 for the ATA and DID.
Ongoing CWU costs will vary but seem to be around $11-$15 dollars a month.

What I had (monthly costs):
- Local Phone, no features ($30)
- Long distance US/Canada unlimited, ($20)
Total: $50/month

What I have now (monthly costs):
- Local Phone (kept old number), no features ($10, because of DSL package)
- Local DID (new number), $4.50
- Long Distance, usually 0.99cents/minute (estimating $6-$10/month, $6 last month)
- Caller ID
- Call waiting
- Multiple lines (if SPA Line 1 is busy, Line 2 will still ring, or option to use Call Waiting)
- DID fail over and priority ringing (can have one number ring multiple locations, similar to call hunting).
- 911 service on my land line.
Total: $25.00/month

I like that: I should recover my setup costs within 3 months.
====================================

Comments:

Review by Cyberian75 See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "It just works!"
Bad "Website needs a little work"
Overall "It's great as a back-up"

·Frontier FiOS
I've been using them for a couple of years now as a back-up and for calling Korean Mobile.

It just works, and it's very affordable. No complaints here!

Comments:

Review by wavesound See Profile

• Location: Bolton,Worcester,MA
Good "Reliable, Good Call Quality"
Bad "The billing interface is a bit clunky. The website looks like it was designed by kids ;)"
Overall "Excellent provider for outbound call termination."

·Callcentric
I have been using Callwithus for around 4 months now and I cannot complain. The service is affordable and straightforward to setup and use.

The billing interface is certainly clunky, but functional and informative.

I'm grateful that Callwithus allows users to set their own CID, this feature was a big selling point for me since I rely on Follow-Me on a regular basis. Between the great prices, great call quality and service I'm not quite sure what else I can say. If you want great outbound VoIP termination that just works...check out CallWithUs!

Comments:

Review by jjcrown See Profile

Good "decent international rates"
Bad "DID service not reliable"
Overall "good long distance provider, customer support can be better"

I had issues with their DID service, sometimes just stops working. Long distance rates are cheap and call quality most of the time is good, just don't expect too much especially on holidays seems like congestion can be a problem.

Comments:

Review by dicodread See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "good price,very flexible"
Bad "have to look for them now."
Overall "ok for residential use and backup trunk"

I have been using Callwithus for a little over a year now and havent found any real problem with them when my call connects. My problem however is sometimes I try to make calls and it takes a very long time or it just doesnt connect any at all. This is the main reason I dont use them for any of my pbx installations.

I use it on my own pbx however as a backup trunk and to test any issues I am having with callcentric or inphonex.

28/07/2009 update.

I have to be fair to callwithus on the call delays. I revisited my spa9000 trunks and and asterisks and realised it was my dial plan mostly that was causing the delays. When I removed the choice of trunks and force each route with its own steering code, the call went through right away with reasonable quality. Based on this discovery I will be putting Callwithus further up on my trunk list and pass some reasonable traffic. I will come back with an update after a few weeks of this.

Comments:

Review by mrsam See Profile

• Location: Metuchen,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Cheap, reliable, call termination."
Bad "They no longer sell DIDs"
Overall "Bring your own device"

·MegaPath
I've been using Callwithus for about a year now, for both call termination and DID. Their call termination rates are very competitive. Currently they accept Google Checkout, and Paypal, for payment. They no longer sell new DIDs for some reason (I'm grandfathered), which is a shame -- their DID rates were also very cheap. I was hoping to use Google Voice for my DID (I finally got one), since I read somewhere that GV was going to be able to forward calls to a SIP number, but it turns out that, right now, GV will forward only to one SIP provider, not Callwithus. If GV ever opens up to any SIP provider, the combination of GV+Callwithus would be an ultra-cheap combination.

But, back to Callwithus. Call quality is probably as good as one can expect from a VOIP provider. Once in a while, an international call gets messed up somewhere, I can hear the other party, but they can't hear me. I just hang up and try again, a couple of times, until we can hear each other. Occasionally someone's having a bad hair day, and I just have to give up and whip out my backup calling card. This does not happen very often, approximately once in about a hundred calls, I'd estimate. 99 out of 100 times the call goes through, and there's never any issue with call quality, otherwise.

I've had fairly good success rate with sending and receiving faxes. Faxing is generally iffy over VOIP. Usually I am able to send or receive a couple of pages without any issues. Longer faxes, 5+ pages, are more difficult. On a couple of occasions I could not fax to a specific fax machine, no matter what I tried. It may or may not be just my fax machine, and not related to VOIP.

Callwithus offers support via email only. Over the last year there were about four or five times I needed to reach them, they always answered my email in a couple of hours, and were very responsive. Callwithus does not sell telephone adapters, you BYOD, Bring Your Own Device -- so you do have to have enough technical know-how to be able to configure your own settings. I set myself up without needing any help, I don't know how much help they would provide in setting up your telephone adapter, but it'll probably be a bit cumbersome, going back and forth by email. However you can try setting everything up without buying or paying anything, and test your device with SIP-only incoming calls, and an echo test, and buy credits only after you have a working connection.

Comments:

Review by slicemaster See Profile

• Location: Newbury Park,Ventura,CA
Good "Pay-As-You-GO, DIDs available, EXCELLENT Call rates, Standard and Premium call routes"
Bad "Absolutely NONE for and experienced VoIP user"
Overall "Wonderful services with flexible options"

I decided to give Call With Us a try after getting fed up with the flat rate phone bills regardless of usage that most VoIP providers offer. I have used services like ViaTalk and BroadVoice in the past but have decided to get away from monthly billing plans in favor of Pay-As-You-Go because my calling patterns can’t justify the monthly expense. I have been using Call-With-Us for a few weeks now and have been extremely satisfied with the quality of service and quality of support. I also feel it is note worthy to mention their extremely informational FAQ that more of less provides every detail of their service and its advanced call routing options. Their services are bare bones but for an advanced user like my self, this is exactly what I’m looking for. Call rates are second to none.

member for 12.8 years, 166 visits, last login: 5.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by voiplover See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Rockingham,NH
Good "Easy to program, No lattency, great voice quality, $.01.1 per minute"
Bad "No incoming DIDs if needed + now they offer DIDs"
Overall "Spend $5 for ~450 minutes and easy to recharge or open a new account"

If you are just looking for quality out going and you can connect multiple ATA's it's a great service. Setup was easy and the web account is simple. I've connect many people up with them and have never had an issue with voice quality.

If you are looking for incoming DIDs then look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a voip account that is cheap to call out on; then give them a try.

I don't think they offer live support, but the FAQs have the info needed and we don't have to pay a monthly just to know that someone in India will answer a question with an answer that maybe 100% correct but totally useless...

Comments:

Review by ptlake See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "cheap!! - reliable"
Bad "no longer provides DID (phone number) - no e911 (FREE #'s available elsewhere)"
Overall "Awsome service"

this is a 'pay-as-you-go' service - you only pay for the minutes you use on outgoing calls
this is a 'bring-your-own-device' service - you need to figure out how to configure the ATA device. the ATA cost about $70, and is my responsibility.

I've been using this service for 1 year - i've been amazed at the technical support - email are replied to within a half hour - once you have their attention - the replies are within 5 minutes.

there is a learning curve if you've never set up an ATA device.

call rates are currently 1.1cents per minute domestically (there are a lot of pennies in $19/month) - i signed up with them for the phone number (out of toledo, oh) for $2.10/month with 3000 inbound minutes - in the first year i've paid $45 for this service. local call routing is handled via google voice.

I've had more problems with my ISP failing than with this service failing.