PHONE POWER page on DSLReports

Review by guhuna See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Contra Costa,CA
Good "When it works it works great"
Bad "When it doesn it takes them MONTHS to figure it out."
Overall "Stay away for now."

I've been with PP for over 5 years now and have had awesome service until late, lately they've had months worth of "one way audio" issues that the engineers are trying to resolve. Honestly I'm over this audio issue and am looking for another provider as I type this. There are numerous others that have this same issue and all seem to be jumping ship. I honestly cant figure out why it takes months to figure an issue out, you'd think they would have a backup plan.

member for 13.4 years, 7088 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
w9sl

join:2001-08-18
Castle Rock, CO

Phone Power problem continues....

Just to let others know, the PP one way audio problem continues and effects virtually all of my inbound calls. if this isn't resolved immediately I'm outa here.
Am considering Anveo, does anyone have experience with them?

Review by ronny_b See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "Nothing, unless you like nightmares."
Bad "Worked for one evening, then nothing."
Overall "PhonePower is capable of excellent service, but badly botched this operation."

Let me start off by saying that I have had service with PhonePower for several years, and performance has always been excellent. Not so when I signed up with their new Obi-PhonePower service.

This service would save me a worthwhile amount off the monthly fee I had been paying, so I leaped right in. Signup was easy, almost instant, and service excellent (while it lasted.) Which turned out to be one evening.

I put in a ticket requesting that the DID on the old account be transferred to the new account, then the old account was to be cancelled. Sounds easy, right?

Next morning, I received email telling me the number had successfully been transferred, and as soon as I rebooted the PhonePower ATA, i would be good to go. That ATA had been disconnected - I was using the Obi. Nevertheless, I hooked it up and rebooted both the ATA and the Obi. Nothing. The phone on the new account had stopped working BEFORE i went through this. Same with the old account (which was supposed to happen.) To me, it seemed that some over-zealous employee had cancelled BOTH accounts, since I could not sign into either on the PP web site. No problem, a call to customer service will clear that up Yeah, right.

First off, the CS who took the call told me that Billing handles number ports, and transferred me. Short conversation with Billing, then transferred back to CS. Different operator.

He first took control of my computer. No idea what he did. Then he had me go to the Obi web site and click on the "Approved Service Providers" button on the Obi Dashboard. Next. click on PhonePower, as if I were signing up Scroll down the page, find two boxes for choosing device and SP slot. It was installed on the Obi 110, SP 2, so that is what I chose. Next, click on a large button captioned "restore existing account". I clicked, and a message came up informing me that the requested page could not be found, an suggesting that I check the URL Same thing that comes up when I sign into either account. After about 1-2 hours, he gave up.

Next day - encore performance. That's where it stands now, except that PP put an unauthorized charge on my debit card for $99 and change because I have not yet returned their ATA.

I really would like to get this resolved because, as I said earlier, PP is capable of excellent service. Perhaps a simple solution would be to cancel the account, refund the money I paid for a year of service, and then let me sign up again - providing my phone number is not lost somewhere.

UPDATE - 5-24-2014

i can't say whether PP read my review, since they have not contacted me.

However, today, I once again tried going to the "Approved Service Providers" in the Obitalk dashboard. This time, when I selected PP, it told me to sign into my account. Something new! Previously when I attempted to sign in, a window would come up with an error message to the effect that the desired destination could not be found.

Hurriedly, I signed in - A message appeared, atating that I needed to resync the Obe 110 with PP. A button was provided for this task. I clicked, then glanced over at the Obi. Red light! It was re-booting! As soon as all the lights seemed OK, I dialed **2 (for PP) and the local time and temp number. I worked! Next, called my cell phone to verify the CID. Sure enough, it was the number I had requested to be transferred to this account. Made a few more calls, and all seemed well.

Recall, when I first signed up for this account, it worked for one evening and the next morning was kaput. Let's hope it lasts longer this time!

(Just kidding, PP - I don't know what you did, but if you fixed it, I'm sure it will stay fixed.)

member for 9.8 years, 2276 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by UnknownOne See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Outbound calls good! Very little down time. Clear calls."
Bad "Allot of people can't call me! "
Overall "People think my number is disconnected! Unhappy!"

I was with Voip your life for a few years, started to have so much down time I gave up. Switched to phonepower this past spring all in all I was happy. But over the last several months I have had more and more problems with people calling me. I have a 50% chance of the call from my work to get to me. The get the message "number has been disconnected". I have called PP support, and they tell me the problem is they are not even getting the call routed to them. There is nothing they can do to fix it.

I then call my log distance carrier at my work. I actually get someone that knows what they are doing, presto it works! for a few weeks. I ask them what is the problem. They tell me that PP is rejecting the call. And they have to re-route the call over a different connection and the PP will except it! What? It is actually PP fault?

More research! Church members can't call me from there home number. Sure enough the county where my church members live (just this one county) can't call my home both on there land line or on there cell phone. When I am at church, I can't call my home, from my cell!

Now when I drive to work I drive through another county. Guess what!!! When I am in this specific county, I can't call home, but when I am at work I can call home with no problem on my cell phone. Verizon (cell carrier) is no help, they just tell me that the problem is with PP!

Everyone get's the same message "this number has been disconnected"

What gives?

I had this number ported from VYLMedia to PP this last spring! Is it possible the calls are still getting routed to VYLMedia?

Is it possible the PP to keep costs down, are rejecting some companies from allowing inbound calls?

No one seems to have an answer!

----------------------

Update! 1/25/14

After posting this, phone power gave me a call as requested. The support person told me that he was assigned to me to get this issue resolved. He was very nice, and spent several hours with me testing and working with friends to perform test calls. He even called me back at strange times just get get me when my cell phone would be in an area that not work.

He was shocked, and at first was trying to blame the cell carrier, then Vonage, and other phone carriers. He told me he would research it and get back to me. I kept telling him there can't be this many companies that the problem is on all of there ends.

Several weeks passed, still no call. So about Mid December I called him back, he was not available, but did find my support ticket. That new tech told me they where still working on it, and hoped to have my account changed over to a new carrier that coming Friday! Fantastic! So I waited to see.

The following week, I made a few calls and could not get it to mess up. I then got a call from the origional support person and he told me about the change and that should fix my problem. I told him I would test it out.

Well I have now tested it out for about 4 weeks. And have not been able to get a single call to fail. It's now seems perfect! Not sure what switching to a new "carrier" does, but why could they not figure that out the first time? Because of this I have moved my "Tech Support" from worst to Average. Phone power would have gotten "best" if they had fixed this the first time.

I still plan on calling phone power back and thanking that tech person and letting them know that all is well.

--------------
Update 5.21.2014

The fix only lasted about two months. I have been hoping that the problem would go away again, but it has not. We are done. I am planning and currently looking at other providers to see what all is out there. It's a shame that phone power can't get a number to work correctly.

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

idea

This can happen when number porting isn't done completely or correctly. Usually support channels can fix it if you get through to someone smart.

Re: idea

Yes, this could be true. And I think could be the problem. But who do I call to fix this the old company VYLMeda or PP?

Inbound Call Routing

This usually has to do with the way certain carriers route there calls. In some cases carriers may only use one path to get their calls out to the world. If that path is outdated or not maintained problems like this can occur. In regards to PP rejecting inbound calls there is no cost associated with us accepting a call so there isn't any benefit.

If we can find a commonality in the phone numbers of the callers who can't reach you we may be able to identify who the problem carrier is. PM me your account info and I will locate the support ticket and have someone get in touch with you.

Re: Inbound Call Routing

Yes there is allot in common! (all counties are in Illinois state)
Lawrence, Richland, Clay County Cell phones (At&T and Verizon) Do not work.

Land land line phones in the same area also seem not to work.

Vonage user in Maryland tried calling me just yesterday. About 4 times every time same thing. (I would assume all Vonage users could not call me then) Never got it to work. He called my cell and I called him back on PP no problem.

Wabash County, can't call from my work some times. As stated in my post above. I had to call them up. I forget the Long Distance Carrier's name but I can get that for you.

My cell phone is Verizon. It's almost imposable for me to make a call from the the three counties I listed above. But I can make calls just fine on my cell phone from Wabash and Crawford County.

There is nothing in common with the phone numbers that can't call me. Seems Completely random. But the physical location of where the call is coming from makes a big difference!

I can PM you some of the phone numbers if that helps.

In regards to the support ticket. When I first started to have this problem I was able to log into the PP website and I could see the call come in. But I would get the message that the number was disconnected. Your tech support people insisted that the problem was inside my house. And also insisted that the problem was because I am using a Cat 6 cable wiring through my house and not a normal phone cable to go to my phone. I asked why would my VM not even pick up even if my phone here at home was screwed up. He could not answer that.

After more testing and more calls. He could not find anything wrong, and insisted that it was the long distance carrier because we could never make the calls show up in my call list and still give the recording. Your tech people could no longer see the incoming call at all.

That is when i called up the long distance carrier for my work phone. They then did something (re-directed the calls or something) and it worked for a short time. Now we are back to the same issue again.

To troubleshoot this issue I will not be changing anything in my house. There is nothing wrong in my house, cabling or anything like that!

Got an idea!

I was just logged into my PP "MyAccount" and noticed I have my ported number. Also a "Virtual Number" (not ported) both numbers call my house.

If I drive to the area that does not work with my cell phone. Meaning when I call with my cell phone to my Home (ported) number I will get the recording. Then try to call the Virtual Number. And see if that works or not. Would that help? Would that confirm if the problem has to do with a bad port or not?

If that works. Who in the world can fix the Port issue?

Alittlegreen

join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC
·TekSavvy DSL
·Future Nine Corp..

Re: Got an idea!

Hey UnknownOne, Is there any reason why you've stuck it out that long with PP? I'm just wondering, if you've been getting this much run around, why not switch?
There seems to be quite a few solid providers out there such as CallCentric, Future-Nine, VoIP.ms, etc... and all of these guys can be paid on a monthly basis.

My take on it is that if your previous provider never had issues delivering inbound calls, why is it acceptable for your new provider? What ever excuse they come up with is up to them to resolve. especially seeing as how your only variable in this equation is them. EVERYTHING else is status quo. And seeing as how you've already been more patient than most would ever be, I may be time to start looking for a new ITSP.

Re: Got an idea!

I work IT at a Hospital. I must admit I can see both sides of the problems and try to work with someone when I can. For the most part I am so busy at my work I just don't have time to deal with it.

I had so many problems with my former company that I switch over from. All of these problems went away, Dropped calls, Bad quality, etc. The only issue I had with PhonePower was this very strange only some people could not call in. So it was allot better service then what I have had in the past.

Now I am in the process of switching over to Call Centric. Just waiting for my ATA from eBay, and my number to finish porting.

So far Call Centric seems to have better support even though I never talk to them.

I will say I have tracked down the problem specifically to the phone number it's self. I only have problems with the number I ported over to PhonePower. I never have a problem with with the phone number that PhonePower gave me.

Very very strange. I just hope that one number for whatever reason is not the issue and in turn I will have the same problems with Call Centric! If that is the case I will report back here.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

Re: Got an idea!

It's been almost two months since you indicated you were in the process of switching to CC. Does the miscreant number work now?

Re: Got an idea!

I am now with CallCentric for over a month or two. Works perfectly. Every call every time no problems! Will never go back. CC is a little more pricy, but the service is good, fantastic support even though it's only email based, they seem to know what they are talking about.

The hardest part was I had to modify my ATA to unlock it. I screwed up and got a locked model off of ebay. But after I got it unlocked, I followed there step by step directions on configuring it and it worked perfectly.

I had to enable one setting on my ATA that fixed a problem where I was not getting calls, it was persistent NAT. Once I make this one change it worked all the time now. The NAT was dropping on my Cisco 1841 router. Most home owners would just place the ATA in front of there router, but because of my network setup I have to place it behind it.

Very very happy....

Review by humbledman See Profile

• Location: Bellaire,Belmont,OH
Good "affordable long distance"
Bad "no incoming Caller I.D."
Overall "enroll in a Networking Academy"

When I made local calls, I could hear them but they couldn't hear me. So I programmed a static route between my OBi110 and the WAN, which solved the problem. They advertised incoming Caller I.D. but it was non existent. I signed up with Caller I.D. through my land line connection, so finally that works. They count minutes for outgoing local calls so I wired a switch to toggle between my land line local service and internet long distance. Everything is set up the way I want it now, so my $34.99/year 300 minutes/month goes to long distance and the rest is for local and unlimited incoming calls.

What a nightmare.

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Incoming Caller ID

We do support incoming caller ID. When a call comes in to our network if there isn't any live caller ID information present we perform a look up against one of the national databases and append the information that was obtained in the look up.

Here is a brief write up from our wiki which details how caller ID works

»www.phonepower.com/wiki/How_Caller_ID_Works

Review by spoirier See Profile

• Location: Clawson,Oakland,MI
Good "Easy to setup through Obihai"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Seems like a good deal"

Update: 2014-04-24 - Wife called Thailand and talked for 42 minutes. Total charge shown on PhonePower web site says it cost 0.73 cents. She told me that it sounded just fine.

Since Google Voice will not work with my Obihai after May 15th I decided to use a special deal PhonePower is offering, »www.phonepower.com/Obihai_info.aspx. The plan I chose costs $34.99 for 12 months and includes taxes/surcharges. It provides 300 minutes of outbound calls and unlimited inbound.

Spoke with with Tech Support about an issue I had on the web site. Got connected to a person in a couple of minutes. They were polite and helpful.

Comments:

RJD12

@vt-group.com

Phone Power

This is a poor company to get hooked up with. If there were a service or a product that worked, it would be different. Unfortunately I got tired of trying to get their service to work and let it sit for a year. My own fault. I think I was told this or it was in writing somewhere, but I never thought of it again: they renew your service without notifying you. Then you can't stop it without a $200 penalty. the time is 2 years in my case. I decided to eat the $99 cancellation fee (prorated from $200)to get rid of them. For no service I get the privilege of returning their "leased equipment " at my expense.

Use them at your own risk.
taoman54

join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

Phone Power: So far so good

Had them for only a month but so far they have been quite good. I also went for the $35/year "Obi" plan with unlimited incoming and 300/month outgoing. Excellent call quality and latency and real live people to talk to 7 days a week for customer support. Luckily, I haven't needed to contact CS as everything has worked perfectly so far.

Hard to beat this price/value ratio.

Review by sarah1967 See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Good "easy order and install. u can pick your telephone number"
Overall "solid reliable service from someone who's been on a while now."

ordering and install was simple. I like the fact you can pick your number from a list of 20. I wish they had toll free numbers to choose from. But a customer service rep said they will soon. I've run my business from the service for a couple months now and it's been a good service. I originally signed up on the cheapest plan, but was happy enough to switch to the annual. They will let you upgrade to one of their other new customer promotional plans, but only in the first 30 days.

UPDATE: Its been quite a while and I'm still happy with choosing Phone Power. Call quality is at least as good as my old telco line. When they started offering toll free numbers (one of my original griefs), I got one for $5 per month. Very pleased customer. I upgraded the website from 4 to 5. The web-based call routing options are very helpful.

I Recently received an email that they are giving everyone one hour of international calling for free every month now. Thanks for the holiday gift Phone Power!

October 23, 2010 - update. Service is still top notch. But if anyone from phone power management reads these, please port your softphone to work with macs!

7-15-10: I've been using the PP softphone they provide when I travel, and it works pretty well. I've even gotten it to work over the Starbucks Wifi (not the clearest connection though). But I'd rather just have an iPhone app. I've been pestering them for this for a while now, and finally someone told me they will be coming out with one in a couple months! PP, please make me a beta tester!

April 14, 2014 - I was on here researching other stuff but thought I would give an update. Still solid service. The only issues I ever have seem to be around my flaky internet connection. They seem to be making steady improvements on their Android app, and I've used it overseas with fairly good results.

Comments:

Review by bubba1 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Bad "The worst freaking experience and service i have ever had"

Well it is hard to put into words the rage i have towards this company for the horrible service they provide...

first my ADVISE TO ANY ONE CONSIDERING PHONE POWER AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THEIR TYPICAL PHONE PROVIDER IS TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

few months into the contract i had issues like i could not call my local government numbers in Canada so i had to service, they fixed,then i could not call an international country which was not covered under my plan,called service gain after 2 hours a couple of expensive and annoying call to my family members they got it to work. Then i noticed that if called my home phone from my cell it, my kid answering could not hear me, then i would try to call my kids school and the service at school would not detect when i was pressing the buttons, so i would have to use my cell. it became so ridiculous to have to call service every single time something would happen. also the calls would hang up for no apparent reason. another thing i did not check was he fact that this company will charge 99 dollars for early cancellation, so you are left with either you put up with the crap of system or you ding your wallet. i have had better luck with magic jack as it worked from the very first moment i plugged it in; incoming and outgoing calls worked like a charm much... much...much better than this crap of phone power. the only problem is that i needed international service for which magic jack sucks. at the end after much chatting with phone power they wanted to partially refund my cancellation..what the hell was that??? avoid yourselves any hassle ans stay away from any voip company that offers you some deal to be in contract or you'll end up like me. AVOID AT ALL CAUSE PHONE POWER IS THE SHITS.............

Comments:

Furgle

@artnet.pl

Add numeric scores

You may want to edit your review to include the various numeric scores.

By doing so you will help get them onto the GBU list with a low overall score so everyone will see what a poor service they are.
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

Re: Add numeric scores

I also see you are from Canada PhonePower is a US based provider and will not connect geo restricted Canada phone numbers correctly. I would suggest using a Canada based voip provider. Was the did given a Canada based one or USA? I have had PhonePower for a few years now and they have been the best voip provider I have used.

unhappy cust

@mtsallstream.net

phonepower hidden fees

Whatever deal you are offered by phonepower, expect to pay twice that amount. They will hit you with what they call "fees, taxes and surcharges" not mentioned in the offer. My advice is to stay away from them at all costs.

unhappy cust

@mtsallstream.net

Review by Enthusiast See Profile

• Location: Township Of Washington,Bergen,NJ
Good "Their BroadVoice's World Plan is EXCELLENT! "
Bad "Their charge process is HORRIFIC! Customer Service is ATROCIOUS! Tech Support Very BAD! "
Overall "HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT...especially the 2nd time around! BAD! BAD! BAD!"

Phone Power contacted me via my old BroadVoice Service (PhonePower acquired BroadVoice). Had Phone Power service back in 2010 for about a month and cancelled because of atrocious CS and went to another horrific service company BroadVoice which as I underlined is now owned by PhonePower. Decided to give them the 2nd chance a month ago (December 2013) I signed up after four (4) horrific years with VONAGE (that was another nightmare)!

1.) Phone Power has problems with different Debit Cards' transactions. Phone Power charged my Debit Card once and their Rep reported that it would charge no more. Contacted my bank and their personnel continued to assure me that the problem is with PhonePower. Phone Power's representative told me that this problem comes up from time to time with customers and that there is NOT anything that can be done; sooo what am I suppose to do? Go get a new bank or Bank Card just for Phone Power? That ain't happenin.

2.) They accepted overpaying the account's balance to leave surplus in the account - however, PP still billed my account with a card their CS Reps repeatedly underline "it does not work' within their current security authentication, even though there is more than enough money in my accounts to stay current with current charges. Continue to receive Emails that read 'Debit Card' - DECLINED!

3.) Sent five (5) Emails expressing how annoying it all is...and PP do NOT deduct the money from the $100.00 credit in the account; instead, continue to send the harassing Emails. So the $100.00 sits out there NOT being used.

4.) Continuously receive every other day Emails threatening to suspend service. Even though there is $100.00 in the account that can be used for both (2) phone services. HORRIBLE!

5.) EXHAUSTING having to go back and forth and receiving threatening Emails.

6.) My phone still has the time that is NOT current. Contacted Tech Support two (2) x about the problem; the time stamp on calls are not in any US Time Zones. Go figure!

Do these people believe / think that their customers do NOT have anything to do but sit on the phone or write Emails ongoing back and forth about nonsense problems? Evidently!

I do NOT recommend Phone Power at all; ABSOLUTELY not! Unnecessary NIGHTMARE!

Comments:

topgun

Drive by troll?

Rates them all 0 despite mentioning anything about his experience other then his billing problem and tech support!

Billing Issues

Enthusiast, I would like to investigate your account to find out what is wrong with the billing process as the issue you reporting with the time stamps on your calls. Can you PM me your account info so I can look in to it?

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sound quality, features, value"
Bad "24-month contract, website can be confusing"
Overall "Excellent value for the money"

Update December 2013

=================

This contract has come to an end, but PhonePower agreed to extend it for 2 more years on the same terms. At least we won't be surprised at the end of first year when the bill for additional fees comes due. I tried to switch to a IP phone, but for some reason I was losing registration after 15 minutes. Probably something with the central router in the building - but other providers that I tried (CallCentric and Voip.MS) - *did not* have this problem. Additionally, once a device is registered, it doesn't get "unregistered" on the website for several hours. And since there is a limit of 4 registrations for BYOD devices - you have to call support to clear those "false positives" out.

I also have a SIP trunking account with Phone Power (and PIAF on RentPBX). Technically - no issues for 6 months. Billing-wise - "add-on fees" add almost 25% to the cost of service.

Update October 2012

===============

Got a bill for the second ("free") year - $64 in "taxes and fees". So, the total real price for 2-year contract is about $15/month. Feels a little bit like cheating (like buying something for $7.95 + $7 for shipping and handling)...

On the upside - they added a new feature (currently in beta): forwarding based on time of day. For a doctor's office it was the biggest thing that was missing!

Update January 2012

===============

The service remains good. There was an outage a few days ago. Both the service and website were out for couple hours. More details here: »[General] PhonePower down?

Wouldn't be a big deal (especially, for me since it was on Saturday morning). However, PhonePower handled it terribly. First, it showed that a technical glitch can bring down *both* service and website - bad design. Second, there were no communications through other means (and ITIL teaches us that client communications are as important during incident management as is actual incident resolution). Last, PP scrubbed two forums on their website, replacing with a meaningless locked post by the administrator ( »www.phonepower.com/forum/topic.php?id=447 ). It gives a nasty smell of a cover-up. As I said in the original review, the techies seem to be high-class, but people running the business could use some coaching.

Original review - October 2011

=======================

I've been VoicePulse customer for 7 years (3 accounts); but when my cousin was moving her medical office I went with Phone Power. So far, I haven't been disappointed. Cloned line alone made the cost saving quite significant ($50 vs $11 per month - not all doctors are rich). I bought adapter in Fry's - last unit, and it was returned. Apparently, MAC was already registered, so I had to call support. less than a minute wait, and the lady fixed the problem while I was waiting. Second call was to tech support - I plugged the adapter before the service was on (email said "after 8PM", but I only paid attention to the date). Again, less than a minute on hold, the guy understood the issue even before I finished explaining, and turned on the service while I was on call.

Pleasant surprise - phone number was ported in less than a week. Don't know if Phone Power is so good, or the process got easier; just a year ago it took almost a month.

I haven't tried fax yet (we are using Extreme Fax and love it, but monthly allowance of 500 pages is not enough) - something that VoicePulse never got working. Hopefully, this will be another icing on the cake. *UPDATE* I tried fax and it works! Now I am really thinking about ditching VoicePulse...

Now, to the annoyances. The website says in big letters that the plan is $8.33 ($200 for two years), but the junk fees add 25% to the price (before anybody starts flaming, I am *not* saying that it's false advertising. I am saying that the company misrepresents add-on costs as government-imposed taxes and fees). Second, the knowledge base is very informative, but it is often not clear if the article applies to small business plan or to hosted pbx, or to sip trunking.

Last in the annoyances department. The adapter costs $80 with $80 rebate. It's a Grandstream HT502 which costs $34 at VoipSupply. Obviously, the cost is completely arbitrary (although I haven't got my rebate check yet. *UPDATE* I did get a check in 6 to 8 weeks, as promised). All I really pay is sales tax. But why would you set the price at double the retail?! Vonage and 8x8 on the same shelf cost $40!

It has been only a month, but now her partners want to move their PBX to IP, and Phone Power is certainly a top candidate.

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Forum

Support is responsible for cleaning the forums and in regards to the outage we try to keep everything simple and clear. In this particular situation there were multiple threads citing numerous problems with random speculations. In the best interest of keeping customers informed of the time frame and nature of the problem we removed any of the extra threads that contained speculation.

This wasn't done with the intention of covering anything up we just want to make sure customers understand the specifics of this incident.

Re: Forum

Look - you do what you feel is right; and customers and prospects make the decisions based on how they perceive your actions. You could lock the existing threads and put a note directing the readers to *your* thread. After all, there are four long threads here on DSLR. You certainly didn't have to lock the thread with a single (your) message.

Whatever the intent, the perception is clearly that you goofed in your response... I am saying that as a quite satisfied customer (on the technical side); with only 3 months into 2-year long contract. So my intention is to help you grow and prosper - something that I do in my day job with a number of large and small companies.

Re: Forum

As someone who has been moderated multiple times I don't understand your point. This a forum just like Phone Powers and the moderators reserve the right to moderate the forum. I have had my posts deleted and edited because I was off topic so the fact that posts that contained speculation were deleted is pretty tame.

To each his own though.

Re: Forum

The threads could have been locked, not removed. Removing the threads looks suspicious.

Re: Forum

Explain how the current situation looks suspicious.

There was an outage on ** date. Multiple threads were created were people thought the company was out of business and other bizarre things. The moderators moderated the threads and made an official company statement. The statement provided a time frame and the impact. Where is the cover up what is suspicious? If anything they acknowledged the problem and made an official statement.

This isn't area 51 there is no government conspiracy. On that note I don't remember anyone ever commenting about how threads/reviews get moderated on this forum(DSL Reports).

Getting uptight about a moderator doing their job is a little odd from my perspective.

Re: Forum

We can agree to disagree.

·VOIPO
I am talking about management screwup... We can agree to disagree. But when you bring area 51 and government conspiracy, I can see how a moderator would
said by DSM Fan:

I have had my posts deleted and edited because I was off topic

Re: Forum

Hoping to prove a point. Forums do not belong to the users they belong to the companies that host them. If you don't abide by the rules of the forum prepare to be moderated. If the moderators don't think what you are discussing is relevant to the users prepare to be moderated. If you are going off on a tangent and discussing things that aren't relevant prepare to be moderated. If you aren't seeing a trend it is that a moderators job is to moderate a forum. This is par for the course with companies much larger than PP.

To post a review with a negative inflection about something that is par for the course is peculiar. Also I think it is in their forum guidelines. Granted it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

My last statement still stands where is the cover up and what is suspicious. You make this out to be some giant scandal where PP is trying to hide something. An official source posted about an outage,stated the nature of the outage and the time frame. If anything this is the exact opposite of a cover up.

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by DSM Fan:

I'm a big fan of Phone-Power and I agree where the mods at PhonePower are coming from. People are smart though and they are going to see the threads at DSLR not being modded, then go to PP forum and notice their posts being obliterated regardless of "rules, points, prerogatives, property, etc." and that will be all she wrote. My dad told me better to let people air out a little dirty laundry then have it overflow out of the hamper, which in this case would be the PP forum vs. public Internet. Which as we can all clearly see now in this review. siggghhh... Good, Bad, Right, Wrong, that is JMHO?

»youtu.be/WJ_yQ02xwsM

Re: Forum

Understandable that people feel their opinions or dirty laundry were removed. That is the job of a house cleaner. Moderators are forum house cleaners. Also no one has elaborated on this suspicious cover up.

Putnam, CT
You are correct, a forum is not owned by the users. But if users fell that their comments are being removed the they will leave the forum and find another.

Covina, CA
quoted text pulled from your review

"It gives a nasty smell of a cover-up"

"As I said in the original review, the techies seem to be high-class, but people running the business could use some coaching."

As PPtech mentioned the techies scrubbed your beloved posts.

DSM Fan,
Let me be very clear: my point was that PP management made a stupid decision to scrub the threads on PP forum, and that scrubbing gave a feeling of a cover-up.

You are now bringing a third irrelevant point. First, it was who the forum belongs to and whether the moderators have the right to remove the post. Second, something about area 51 / government conspiracy (PP conspired with the government? or something...). And now that techies scrubbed the posts (I suppose, taking the time away from designing, maintaining, and supporting the network? I actually give PP much more credit than you seem to).

No wonder your posts were deleted. Not because I disagree with them (I would actually very welcome somebody who thinks it was a good idea to delete those threads on PP forum) - but for being off-topic and irrelevant to the discussion.

As I don't have any power to administer the posts on my review - the only thing I can do is to ignore you in the future. So resolved.

4 edits

Re: Forum

Let me be even more clear

"It gives a nasty smell of a cover-up."

This comment invoked my comment about cover ups. There is no clarification of what was covered up.

"Last, PP scrubbed two forums on their website, replacing with a meaningless locked post by the administrator"

Yes it was a very meaningless post the below quote is directly from the meaningless post also indicates everything they covered up

"At approximately 6:12am PST on 1/21/12 a core network element failed. This would have impacted registered end points, website and calls to support. Service was restored at 7:50am PST."

Lets break down every aspect of this meaningless post.

"At approximately 6:12am PST on 1/21/12" "Service was restored at 7:50am PST" Indicates date and time of failure. I found this to be extremely helpful in that I know exactly when the problem occurred and I don't need to wonder about what happened.

"a core network element failed" Indicates what caused the failure. Don't think at any point that you are entitled to the specific component that failed. The internet didn't die and this was a Phone Power only problem.

"This would have impacted registered end points, website and calls to support" Field of impact. Allowed me to know that the failures I was experiencing were directly caused by the service outage.

I have been on multiple forums and seen situations like this all the time. I think it was a good idea that they cleared the threads. I was reading over some of the commentary. Some of the users came across as chicken little. OMG the sky is falling it is sun rocket all over again.

Ironically looks like they reinstated them to placate the masses.

If anything my commentary has been on topic. Your review makes you come across as an overly paranoid consumer. Hopefully other users can see that and take it for what it is worth.

"I actually give PP much more credit than you seem to" Yes I slam the company that has provided rock solid service and US based support staff for minimal cost. I totally don't give them the credit they deserve. Maybe I should start a review slam the company and speculate that they are hiding things. That would totally be the credit they deserve based on your logic.

Re: Forum

Easy there DSM...take a breath buddy I chirped in to try and keep the peace and play devils advocate in a civilized way. Making comments like "Don't think at any point that you are entitled to the specific component that failed.", Your review makes you come across as an overly paranoid consumer., etc. will just add more gasoline to the fire!

PhonePower has 131 good reviews and only 21 bad. The numbers speak for themselves. PP did the right thing, everyone is happy, let all hold hands and sing

»youtu.be/YZ2mQKvKJMQ

2 edits

1 recommendation

DSM Fan you are getting a little worked up over something that is pretty trivial. The author of the review has a valid point and in hind sight we have restored the formerly moderated posts. In the future our forum protocol will fall in line with the suggestions of the users since the purpose of the forum was to encourage users to interact with each other. I would like everyone to know we didn't have draconian intent when we moderated those threads.

join:2007-07-20
Did you get the beta feature activated?

Re: ICM

UPDATE Nov. 7, 2012:
=====================
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. It looks like new ICM still has some problems, the biggest is it's unable to save the forwarding number. It was saving yesterday, but today all calls were forwarded to medical emergency services, instead of off-site receptionist. Support tried to troubleshoot, but in the end gave up and suggested to revert back and wait until the service goes into production mode.
========================

Thanks for reminding! I got the email with the invitation; I told Doctor (business owner) about it; and then we both forgot

Now that it is enabled, we are setting it up. it feels a little bit confusing - some options take effect right away; others require pressing Save button. But the help pages are very good; and this feature is extremely important for the business.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

join:2007-07-20
Glad you like it, if you have an input email support or post on the forums. The product is still evolving and changing and as things start to solidify we will produce more help content.

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: Berkeley Heights,Union,NJ
Good "Good customer/technical service. Good line quality "
Bad "Occasional poor quality sound."
Overall "Satisfied customer"

·VOIPO
I have been a customer of Phone Power for one year. With the exception of a few isolated downtime incidents, the service has been excellent. I have had the occasion to call the Tech Support and Billing Support a few times, and I have been very impressed with their courtesy, patience, and willingness to solve the problem at hand.

All told, I am very happy with PhonePower service (the line service side, as well as the people side).

Update:

I just started my third year with Phone Power. The call quality continues to be excellent - I might even say that it has got better in the past six months or so. I will recommend PhonePower without hesitation.

Update at the end of fourth year

Although the line quality was generally good, I noticed that the customer service personnel (tech support and billing staff alike) were becoming more and more rushed. Every time that I called them, I could hear many people conversing in the background. The room was so noisy that I often had to ask the CS representative to repeat himself/herself. They seemed to be in a hurry to “close” my call so that they could move on to the next one. I read someplace that PP has been very successful in attracting new customers in the past few years. I guess the size of the support staff did not keep up with this growth. It appears that the CS department became a victim of the company’s growth.

With all of this in mind, I thought it is time for me to try another voip service, hoping that the new provider will have a better-matched customer service staff.