PHONE POWER page on DSLReports

Review by sarah1967 See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Good "easy order and install. u can pick your telephone number"
Overall "solid reliable service from someone who's been on a while now."

ordering and install was simple. I like the fact you can pick your number from a list of 20. I wish they had toll free numbers to choose from. But a customer service rep said they will soon. I've run my business from the service for a couple months now and it's been a good service. I originally signed up on the cheapest plan, but was happy enough to switch to the annual. They will let you upgrade to one of their other new customer promotional plans, but only in the first 30 days.

UPDATE: Its been quite a while and I'm still happy with choosing Phone Power. Call quality is at least as good as my old telco line. When they started offering toll free numbers (one of my original griefs), I got one for $5 per month. Very pleased customer. I upgraded the website from 4 to 5. The web-based call routing options are very helpful.

I Recently received an email that they are giving everyone one hour of international calling for free every month now. Thanks for the holiday gift Phone Power!

October 23, 2010 - update. Service is still top notch. But if anyone from phone power management reads these, please port your softphone to work with macs!

7-15-10: I've been using the PP softphone they provide when I travel, and it works pretty well. I've even gotten it to work over the Starbucks Wifi (not the clearest connection though). But I'd rather just have an iPhone app. I've been pestering them for this for a while now, and finally someone told me they will be coming out with one in a couple months! PP, please make me a beta tester!

April 14, 2014 - I was on here researching other stuff but thought I would give an update. Still solid service. The only issues I ever have seem to be around my flaky internet connection. They seem to be making steady improvements on their Android app, and I've used it overseas with fairly good results.

Comments:

Review by bubba1 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Bad "The worst freaking experience and service i have ever had"

Well it is hard to put into words the rage i have towards this company for the horrible service they provide...

first my ADVISE TO ANY ONE CONSIDERING PHONE POWER AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THEIR TYPICAL PHONE PROVIDER IS TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

few months into the contract i had issues like i could not call my local government numbers in Canada so i had to service, they fixed,then i could not call an international country which was not covered under my plan,called service gain after 2 hours a couple of expensive and annoying call to my family members they got it to work. Then i noticed that if called my home phone from my cell it, my kid answering could not hear me, then i would try to call my kids school and the service at school would not detect when i was pressing the buttons, so i would have to use my cell. it became so ridiculous to have to call service every single time something would happen. also the calls would hang up for no apparent reason. another thing i did not check was he fact that this company will charge 99 dollars for early cancellation, so you are left with either you put up with the crap of system or you ding your wallet. i have had better luck with magic jack as it worked from the very first moment i plugged it in; incoming and outgoing calls worked like a charm much... much...much better than this crap of phone power. the only problem is that i needed international service for which magic jack sucks. at the end after much chatting with phone power they wanted to partially refund my cancellation..what the hell was that??? avoid yourselves any hassle ans stay away from any voip company that offers you some deal to be in contract or you'll end up like me. AVOID AT ALL CAUSE PHONE POWER IS THE SHITS.............

Comments:

Furgle

@artnet.pl

Add numeric scores

You may want to edit your review to include the various numeric scores.

By doing so you will help get them onto the GBU list with a low overall score so everyone will see what a poor service they are.
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
·RCN CABLE

Re: Add numeric scores

I also see you are from Canada PhonePower is a US based provider and will not connect geo restricted Canada phone numbers correctly. I would suggest using a Canada based voip provider. Was the did given a Canada based one or USA? I have had PhonePower for a few years now and they have been the best voip provider I have used.

unhappy cust

@mtsallstream.net

phonepower hidden fees

Whatever deal you are offered by phonepower, expect to pay twice that amount. They will hit you with what they call "fees, taxes and surcharges" not mentioned in the offer. My advice is to stay away from them at all costs.

unhappy cust

@mtsallstream.net

Review by Enthusiast See Profile

• Location: Township Of Washington,Bergen,NJ
Good "Their BroadVoice's World Plan is EXCELLENT! "
Bad "Their charge process is HORRIFIC! Customer Service is ATROCIOUS! Tech Support Very BAD! "
Overall "HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT...especially the 2nd time around! BAD! BAD! BAD!"

Phone Power contacted me via my old BroadVoice Service (PhonePower acquired BroadVoice). Had Phone Power service back in 2010 for about a month and cancelled because of atrocious CS and went to another horrific service company BroadVoice which as I underlined is now owned by PhonePower. Decided to give them the 2nd chance a month ago (December 2013) I signed up after four (4) horrific years with VONAGE (that was another nightmare)!

1.) Phone Power has problems with different Debit Cards' transactions. Phone Power charged my Debit Card once and their Rep reported that it would charge no more. Contacted my bank and their personnel continued to assure me that the problem is with PhonePower. Phone Power's representative told me that this problem comes up from time to time with customers and that there is NOT anything that can be done; sooo what am I suppose to do? Go get a new bank or Bank Card just for Phone Power? That ain't happenin.

2.) They accepted overpaying the account's balance to leave surplus in the account - however, PP still billed my account with a card their CS Reps repeatedly underline "it does not work' within their current security authentication, even though there is more than enough money in my accounts to stay current with current charges. Continue to receive Emails that read 'Debit Card' - DECLINED!

3.) Sent five (5) Emails expressing how annoying it all is...and PP do NOT deduct the money from the $100.00 credit in the account; instead, continue to send the harassing Emails. So the $100.00 sits out there NOT being used.

4.) Continuously receive every other day Emails threatening to suspend service. Even though there is $100.00 in the account that can be used for both (2) phone services. HORRIBLE!

5.) EXHAUSTING having to go back and forth and receiving threatening Emails.

6.) My phone still has the time that is NOT current. Contacted Tech Support two (2) x about the problem; the time stamp on calls are not in any US Time Zones. Go figure!

Do these people believe / think that their customers do NOT have anything to do but sit on the phone or write Emails ongoing back and forth about nonsense problems? Evidently!

I do NOT recommend Phone Power at all; ABSOLUTELY not! Unnecessary NIGHTMARE!

Comments:
topgun

Drive by troll?

Rates them all 0 despite mentioning anything about his experience other then his billing problem and tech support!

Billing Issues

Enthusiast, I would like to investigate your account to find out what is wrong with the billing process as the issue you reporting with the time stamps on your calls. Can you PM me your account info so I can look in to it?

Review by UnknownOne See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Outbound calls good! Very little down time. Clear calls."
Bad "Allot of people can't call me! "
Overall "People think my number is disconnected! Unhappy!"

I was with Voip your life for a few years, started to have so much down time I gave up. Switched to phonepower this past spring all in all I was happy. But over the last several months I have had more and more problems with people calling me. I have a 50% chance of the call from my work to get to me. The get the message "number has been disconnected". I have called PP support, and they tell me the problem is they are not even getting the call routed to them. There is nothing they can do to fix it.

I then call my log distance carrier at my work. I actually get someone that knows what they are doing, presto it works! for a few weeks. I ask them what is the problem. They tell me that PP is rejecting the call. And they have to re-route the call over a different connection and the PP will except it! What? It is actually PP fault?

More research! Church members can't call me from there home number. Sure enough the county where my church members live (just this one county) can't call my home both on there land line or on there cell phone. When I am at church, I can't call my home, from my cell!

Now when I drive to work I drive through another county. Guess what!!! When I am in this specific county, I can't call home, but when I am at work I can call home with no problem on my cell phone. Verizon (cell carrier) is no help, they just tell me that the problem is with PP!

Everyone get's the same message "this number has been disconnected"

What gives?

I had this number ported from VYLMedia to PP this last spring! Is it possible the calls are still getting routed to VYLMedia?

Is it possible the PP to keep costs down, are rejecting some companies from allowing inbound calls?

No one seems to have an answer!

----------------------

Update! 1/25/14

After posting this, phone power gave me a call as requested. The support person told me that he was assigned to me to get this issue resolved. He was very nice, and spent several hours with me testing and working with friends to perform test calls. He even called me back at strange times just get get me when my cell phone would be in an area that not work.

He was shocked, and at first was trying to blame the cell carrier, then Vonage, and other phone carriers. He told me he would research it and get back to me. I kept telling him there can't be this many companies that the problem is on all of there ends.

Several weeks passed, still no call. So about Mid December I called him back, he was not available, but did find my support ticket. That new tech told me they where still working on it, and hoped to have my account changed over to a new carrier that coming Friday! Fantastic! So I waited to see.

The following week, I made a few calls and could not get it to mess up. I then got a call from the origional support person and he told me about the change and that should fix my problem. I told him I would test it out.

Well I have now tested it out for about 4 weeks. And have not been able to get a single call to fail. It's now seems perfect! Not sure what switching to a new "carrier" does, but why could they not figure that out the first time? Because of this I have moved my "Tech Support" from worst to Average. Phone power would have gotten "best" if they had fixed this the first time.

I still plan on calling phone power back and thanking that tech person and letting them know that all is well.

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

idea

This can happen when number porting isn't done completely or correctly. Usually support channels can fix it if you get through to someone smart.

Re: idea

Yes, this could be true. And I think could be the problem. But who do I call to fix this the old company VYLMeda or PP?

Inbound Call Routing

This usually has to do with the way certain carriers route there calls. In some cases carriers may only use one path to get their calls out to the world. If that path is outdated or not maintained problems like this can occur. In regards to PP rejecting inbound calls there is no cost associated with us accepting a call so there isn't any benefit.

If we can find a commonality in the phone numbers of the callers who can't reach you we may be able to identify who the problem carrier is. PM me your account info and I will locate the support ticket and have someone get in touch with you.

Re: Inbound Call Routing

Yes there is allot in common! (all counties are in Illinois state)
Lawrence, Richland, Clay County Cell phones (At&T and Verizon) Do not work.

Land land line phones in the same area also seem not to work.

Vonage user in Maryland tried calling me just yesterday. About 4 times every time same thing. (I would assume all Vonage users could not call me then) Never got it to work. He called my cell and I called him back on PP no problem.

Wabash County, can't call from my work some times. As stated in my post above. I had to call them up. I forget the Long Distance Carrier's name but I can get that for you.

My cell phone is Verizon. It's almost imposable for me to make a call from the the three counties I listed above. But I can make calls just fine on my cell phone from Wabash and Crawford County.

There is nothing in common with the phone numbers that can't call me. Seems Completely random. But the physical location of where the call is coming from makes a big difference!

I can PM you some of the phone numbers if that helps.

In regards to the support ticket. When I first started to have this problem I was able to log into the PP website and I could see the call come in. But I would get the message that the number was disconnected. Your tech support people insisted that the problem was inside my house. And also insisted that the problem was because I am using a Cat 6 cable wiring through my house and not a normal phone cable to go to my phone. I asked why would my VM not even pick up even if my phone here at home was screwed up. He could not answer that.

After more testing and more calls. He could not find anything wrong, and insisted that it was the long distance carrier because we could never make the calls show up in my call list and still give the recording. Your tech people could no longer see the incoming call at all.

That is when i called up the long distance carrier for my work phone. They then did something (re-directed the calls or something) and it worked for a short time. Now we are back to the same issue again.

To troubleshoot this issue I will not be changing anything in my house. There is nothing wrong in my house, cabling or anything like that!

Got an idea!

I was just logged into my PP "MyAccount" and noticed I have my ported number. Also a "Virtual Number" (not ported) both numbers call my house.

If I drive to the area that does not work with my cell phone. Meaning when I call with my cell phone to my Home (ported) number I will get the recording. Then try to call the Virtual Number. And see if that works or not. Would that help? Would that confirm if the problem has to do with a bad port or not?

If that works. Who in the world can fix the Port issue?

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sound quality, features, value"
Bad "24-month contract, website can be confusing"
Overall "Excellent value for the money"

Update December 2013

=================

This contract has come to an end, but PhonePower agreed to extend it for 2 more years on the same terms. At least we won't be surprised at the end of first year when the bill for additional fees comes due. I tried to switch to a IP phone, but for some reason I was losing registration after 15 minutes. Probably something with the central router in the building - but other providers that I tried (CallCentric and Voip.MS) - *did not* have this problem. Additionally, once a device is registered, it doesn't get "unregistered" on the website for several hours. And since there is a limit of 4 registrations for BYOD devices - you have to call support to clear those "false positives" out.

I also have a SIP trunking account with Phone Power (and PIAF on RentPBX). Technically - no issues for 6 months. Billing-wise - "add-on fees" add almost 25% to the cost of service.

Update October 2012

===============

Got a bill for the second ("free") year - $64 in "taxes and fees". So, the total real price for 2-year contract is about $15/month. Feels a little bit like cheating (like buying something for $7.95 + $7 for shipping and handling)...

On the upside - they added a new feature (currently in beta): forwarding based on time of day. For a doctor's office it was the biggest thing that was missing!

Update January 2012

===============

The service remains good. There was an outage a few days ago. Both the service and website were out for couple hours. More details here: »[General] PhonePower down?

Wouldn't be a big deal (especially, for me since it was on Saturday morning). However, PhonePower handled it terribly. First, it showed that a technical glitch can bring down *both* service and website - bad design. Second, there were no communications through other means (and ITIL teaches us that client communications are as important during incident management as is actual incident resolution). Last, PP scrubbed two forums on their website, replacing with a meaningless locked post by the administrator ( »www.phonepower.com/forum/topic.php?id=447 ). It gives a nasty smell of a cover-up. As I said in the original review, the techies seem to be high-class, but people running the business could use some coaching.

Original review - October 2011

=======================

I've been VoicePulse customer for 7 years (3 accounts); but when my cousin was moving her medical office I went with Phone Power. So far, I haven't been disappointed. Cloned line alone made the cost saving quite significant ($50 vs $11 per month - not all doctors are rich). I bought adapter in Fry's - last unit, and it was returned. Apparently, MAC was already registered, so I had to call support. less than a minute wait, and the lady fixed the problem while I was waiting. Second call was to tech support - I plugged the adapter before the service was on (email said "after 8PM", but I only paid attention to the date). Again, less than a minute on hold, the guy understood the issue even before I finished explaining, and turned on the service while I was on call.

Pleasant surprise - phone number was ported in less than a week. Don't know if Phone Power is so good, or the process got easier; just a year ago it took almost a month.

I haven't tried fax yet (we are using Extreme Fax and love it, but monthly allowance of 500 pages is not enough) - something that VoicePulse never got working. Hopefully, this will be another icing on the cake. *UPDATE* I tried fax and it works! Now I am really thinking about ditching VoicePulse...

Now, to the annoyances. The website says in big letters that the plan is $8.33 ($200 for two years), but the junk fees add 25% to the price (before anybody starts flaming, I am *not* saying that it's false advertising. I am saying that the company misrepresents add-on costs as government-imposed taxes and fees). Second, the knowledge base is very informative, but it is often not clear if the article applies to small business plan or to hosted pbx, or to sip trunking.

Last in the annoyances department. The adapter costs $80 with $80 rebate. It's a Grandstream HT502 which costs $34 at VoipSupply. Obviously, the cost is completely arbitrary (although I haven't got my rebate check yet. *UPDATE* I did get a check in 6 to 8 weeks, as promised). All I really pay is sales tax. But why would you set the price at double the retail?! Vonage and 8x8 on the same shelf cost $40!

It has been only a month, but now her partners want to move their PBX to IP, and Phone Power is certainly a top candidate.

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Forum

Support is responsible for cleaning the forums and in regards to the outage we try to keep everything simple and clear. In this particular situation there were multiple threads citing numerous problems with random speculations. In the best interest of keeping customers informed of the time frame and nature of the problem we removed any of the extra threads that contained speculation.

This wasn't done with the intention of covering anything up we just want to make sure customers understand the specifics of this incident.

Re: Forum

Look - you do what you feel is right; and customers and prospects make the decisions based on how they perceive your actions. You could lock the existing threads and put a note directing the readers to *your* thread. After all, there are four long threads here on DSLR. You certainly didn't have to lock the thread with a single (your) message.

Whatever the intent, the perception is clearly that you goofed in your response... I am saying that as a quite satisfied customer (on the technical side); with only 3 months into 2-year long contract. So my intention is to help you grow and prosper - something that I do in my day job with a number of large and small companies.

Re: Forum

As someone who has been moderated multiple times I don't understand your point. This a forum just like Phone Powers and the moderators reserve the right to moderate the forum. I have had my posts deleted and edited because I was off topic so the fact that posts that contained speculation were deleted is pretty tame.

To each his own though.

Re: Forum

The threads could have been locked, not removed. Removing the threads looks suspicious.

Re: Forum

Explain how the current situation looks suspicious.

There was an outage on ** date. Multiple threads were created were people thought the company was out of business and other bizarre things. The moderators moderated the threads and made an official company statement. The statement provided a time frame and the impact. Where is the cover up what is suspicious? If anything they acknowledged the problem and made an official statement.

This isn't area 51 there is no government conspiracy. On that note I don't remember anyone ever commenting about how threads/reviews get moderated on this forum(DSL Reports).

Getting uptight about a moderator doing their job is a little odd from my perspective.

Re: Forum

We can agree to disagree.

·callwithus
I am talking about management screwup... We can agree to disagree. But when you bring area 51 and government conspiracy, I can see how a moderator would
said by DSM Fan:

I have had my posts deleted and edited because I was off topic

Re: Forum

Hoping to prove a point. Forums do not belong to the users they belong to the companies that host them. If you don't abide by the rules of the forum prepare to be moderated. If the moderators don't think what you are discussing is relevant to the users prepare to be moderated. If you are going off on a tangent and discussing things that aren't relevant prepare to be moderated. If you aren't seeing a trend it is that a moderators job is to moderate a forum. This is par for the course with companies much larger than PP.

To post a review with a negative inflection about something that is par for the course is peculiar. Also I think it is in their forum guidelines. Granted it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

My last statement still stands where is the cover up and what is suspicious. You make this out to be some giant scandal where PP is trying to hide something. An official source posted about an outage,stated the nature of the outage and the time frame. If anything this is the exact opposite of a cover up.

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by DSM Fan:

I'm a big fan of Phone-Power and I agree where the mods at PhonePower are coming from. People are smart though and they are going to see the threads at DSLR not being modded, then go to PP forum and notice their posts being obliterated regardless of "rules, points, prerogatives, property, etc." and that will be all she wrote. My dad told me better to let people air out a little dirty laundry then have it overflow out of the hamper, which in this case would be the PP forum vs. public Internet. Which as we can all clearly see now in this review. siggghhh... Good, Bad, Right, Wrong, that is JMHO?

»youtu.be/WJ_yQ02xwsM

Re: Forum

Understandable that people feel their opinions or dirty laundry were removed. That is the job of a house cleaner. Moderators are forum house cleaners. Also no one has elaborated on this suspicious cover up.

Putnam, CT
You are correct, a forum is not owned by the users. But if users fell that their comments are being removed the they will leave the forum and find another.

New Orleans, LA
quoted text pulled from your review

"It gives a nasty smell of a cover-up"

"As I said in the original review, the techies seem to be high-class, but people running the business could use some coaching."

As PPtech mentioned the techies scrubbed your beloved posts.

DSM Fan,
Let me be very clear: my point was that PP management made a stupid decision to scrub the threads on PP forum, and that scrubbing gave a feeling of a cover-up.

You are now bringing a third irrelevant point. First, it was who the forum belongs to and whether the moderators have the right to remove the post. Second, something about area 51 / government conspiracy (PP conspired with the government? or something...). And now that techies scrubbed the posts (I suppose, taking the time away from designing, maintaining, and supporting the network? I actually give PP much more credit than you seem to).

No wonder your posts were deleted. Not because I disagree with them (I would actually very welcome somebody who thinks it was a good idea to delete those threads on PP forum) - but for being off-topic and irrelevant to the discussion.

As I don't have any power to administer the posts on my review - the only thing I can do is to ignore you in the future. So resolved.

4 edits

Re: Forum

Let me be even more clear

"It gives a nasty smell of a cover-up."

This comment invoked my comment about cover ups. There is no clarification of what was covered up.

"Last, PP scrubbed two forums on their website, replacing with a meaningless locked post by the administrator"

Yes it was a very meaningless post the below quote is directly from the meaningless post also indicates everything they covered up

"At approximately 6:12am PST on 1/21/12 a core network element failed. This would have impacted registered end points, website and calls to support. Service was restored at 7:50am PST."

Lets break down every aspect of this meaningless post.

"At approximately 6:12am PST on 1/21/12" "Service was restored at 7:50am PST" Indicates date and time of failure. I found this to be extremely helpful in that I know exactly when the problem occurred and I don't need to wonder about what happened.

"a core network element failed" Indicates what caused the failure. Don't think at any point that you are entitled to the specific component that failed. The internet didn't die and this was a Phone Power only problem.

"This would have impacted registered end points, website and calls to support" Field of impact. Allowed me to know that the failures I was experiencing were directly caused by the service outage.

I have been on multiple forums and seen situations like this all the time. I think it was a good idea that they cleared the threads. I was reading over some of the commentary. Some of the users came across as chicken little. OMG the sky is falling it is sun rocket all over again.

Ironically looks like they reinstated them to placate the masses.

If anything my commentary has been on topic. Your review makes you come across as an overly paranoid consumer. Hopefully other users can see that and take it for what it is worth.

"I actually give PP much more credit than you seem to" Yes I slam the company that has provided rock solid service and US based support staff for minimal cost. I totally don't give them the credit they deserve. Maybe I should start a review slam the company and speculate that they are hiding things. That would totally be the credit they deserve based on your logic.

Re: Forum

Easy there DSM...take a breath buddy I chirped in to try and keep the peace and play devils advocate in a civilized way. Making comments like "Don't think at any point that you are entitled to the specific component that failed.", Your review makes you come across as an overly paranoid consumer., etc. will just add more gasoline to the fire!

PhonePower has 131 good reviews and only 21 bad. The numbers speak for themselves. PP did the right thing, everyone is happy, let all hold hands and sing

»youtu.be/YZ2mQKvKJMQ

2 edits

1 recommendation

DSM Fan you are getting a little worked up over something that is pretty trivial. The author of the review has a valid point and in hind sight we have restored the formerly moderated posts. In the future our forum protocol will fall in line with the suggestions of the users since the purpose of the forum was to encourage users to interact with each other. I would like everyone to know we didn't have draconian intent when we moderated those threads.

join:2007-07-20
Did you get the beta feature activated?

Re: ICM

UPDATE Nov. 7, 2012:
=====================
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. It looks like new ICM still has some problems, the biggest is it's unable to save the forwarding number. It was saving yesterday, but today all calls were forwarded to medical emergency services, instead of off-site receptionist. Support tried to troubleshoot, but in the end gave up and suggested to revert back and wait until the service goes into production mode.
========================

Thanks for reminding! I got the email with the invitation; I told Doctor (business owner) about it; and then we both forgot

Now that it is enabled, we are setting it up. it feels a little bit confusing - some options take effect right away; others require pressing Save button. But the help pages are very good; and this feature is extremely important for the business.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

join:2007-07-20
Glad you like it, if you have an input email support or post on the forums. The product is still evolving and changing and as things start to solidify we will produce more help content.

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: Berkeley Heights,Union,NJ
Good "Good customer/technical service. Good line quality "
Bad "Occasional poor quality sound."
Overall "Satisfied customer"

·VOIPO
I have been a customer of Phone Power for one year. With the exception of a few isolated downtime incidents, the service has been excellent. I have had the occasion to call the Tech Support and Billing Support a few times, and I have been very impressed with their courtesy, patience, and willingness to solve the problem at hand.

All told, I am very happy with PhonePower service (the line service side, as well as the people side).

Update:

I just started my third year with Phone Power. The call quality continues to be excellent - I might even say that it has got better in the past six months or so. I will recommend PhonePower without hesitation.

Update at the end of fourth year

Although the line quality was generally good, I noticed that the customer service personnel (tech support and billing staff alike) were becoming more and more rushed. Every time that I called them, I could hear many people conversing in the background. The room was so noisy that I often had to ask the CS representative to repeat himself/herself. They seemed to be in a hurry to “close” my call so that they could move on to the next one. I read someplace that PP has been very successful in attracting new customers in the past few years. I guess the size of the support staff did not keep up with this growth. It appears that the CS department became a victim of the company’s growth.

With all of this in mind, I thought it is time for me to try another voip service, hoping that the new provider will have a better-matched customer service staff.

Comments:

Review by Bobesz See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "price"
Bad "Technical support hopeless, voice quality bad, no caller id at all in canada"

The only good thing about PhonePower its price, sound quality not that good as advertised and serious issue with caller id.Caller Id does work at least in Canada, it shows only the city from where the call is coming from.

According to Andy from technical support " this is how our system works" so if caller id its important to you to bother to sign up with phone power

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Caller ID

Let me explain here, LIDB (Line Information DataBase) – »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDB
used in the United States and Canada by traditional telephone companies to store and retrieve Caller ID records. Local phone switches, also known as Class 5 switches, use SS7 signaling protocol to query these centralized databases and pass this information during call set up.

So if cell carriers publish the city & number of their subscribers to LIDB then the originating carrier will query that database & pull the city/number info.

To break it down we do the CNAM dip, and it’s really what’s up to what the cell carrier or carriers have published. I have looked through your detailed call log and see that all land lines cnam or caller id have been passed to us and then sent directly to you.

There is a work around this but you did not allow me to finish explaining why and how caller id works with our system. If you would like to continue Please feel free to contact us at anytime our tech support hours are 5am – 8pm PST weekdays And 6am – 5pm PST weekends .

howard

@64.229.97.x

looking for better-inexpensive phone service ---a comment on Rob Ford

I am looking to subscribe to phone power, and am located near Toronto Ontario Canada. This review troubles me though. Can I be given a phone # to talk to a rep in person. The problem with these postings are you really don't know who is telling the truth, or what the true motive of the comment is. We currently have Bell as our internet provider. I need to decide immediately. If not Phone Power, than which VOIP service has the best overall performance servicing Toronto, Canada. PS. No one looks at Rob Ford's history of spending zero with his own personal expense accounts given to him as a councilor or his desire to cut wasted spending. Finally someone who cares about how the people's tax dollars are spent. (A+) His role as representing the City of Toronto as an ambassador by his own personal behavior (F) It would be better if he would seek help with his personal life, and let everyone know he is doing that. He does represent the City of Toronto. The actual job he was doing

Review by DaveLee See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Phone Power is the WORSE, NOTHING GOOD ABOUT IT"
Bad "THEY ARE THE WORSED"
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THEM"

MY HONEST AND UN-BIASED REVIEW ON PHONE POWER (www.phonepower.com)

PHONE POWER IS THE WORSE OF THE WORSED. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SIGNING UP WITH THESE CROOKS AND IF YOU ARE ALREADY A CUSTOMER THERE, RUN RUN RUN. IT'S A SCAM. AND I WILL EXPLAIN.

If you use Phone Power or are trying to sign up with Phone Power, Please invest your 4 minutes to make sure you read every single word am writing on this honest review about them before you make any decision.

Let's get started:

I have been a Phone Power customer for nearly 7 years now (December 2013) after switching from a Major phone company, Bright House Networks-Central Florida, which is by far one of the best Phone companies here in central Florida as far as Quality of Service, Technical support and Customer care.

Question:

Why did I switch from Bright House to Phone Power??

Answer:

I was spending almost $300.00 on International calls alone and so, I was looking for a way out to balance between International Calls and domestic calls expenses, all my monthly Phone bill, Domestic and International combined was totaling to over $350.00

NB: I make a lot of International calls to Africa every day because we have local charities there we help every month and so, we make a lot of calls everyday, we have to, we have been investing a lot of money there for the last 10 years helping poor people, kids etc..

So, to go straight to my points, here are the reasons you MUST NOT sign up with Phone power, because they are the worse: Phone power has a lot of what they call "ROUTING PROBLEMS" Let me explain to you what that is: There are some numbers you cannot call and this is a "two" way problem, meaning some people will try to call you and the call will simply NOT go through. I have experienced this A LOT, and the trick is, if you're a currently a phone power customer you already have this problem unaware right now as you read this review but you don't even know it. I remember trying to call my college and the call would never go through for apparently NO reason, yes, I said college, a major, big college.....then because I have Skype I would try calling with Skype and the call would go through with no issues right away. How stupid is that??? Some time people would call me and ask me why I blocked them or why I'm not reachable...very annoying.

Second problem; again with routing issues, even though I had my International Calling Feature enabled, all my International calls were completely NOT going through, at first, it used to work, but with the POOREST CALL QUALITY THAT YOU CAN EVER THINK OF, really horrible. Am very sad when I think about it even right now as I type this post and please note: MY INTERNET SPEED IS 60Mbps, MY INTERNET IS LIKE LIGHTENING, VERY FAST, AND I DON'T USE ANY OTHER WIFI ACCESSORIES OR ELECTRONICS IN MY HOUSE....ONLY MY LAPTOP. AND I WOULD OFTEN DOUBLE CHECK MY INTERNET SPEED AND SETTING TO MAKE SURE NO BODY IS MESSING WITH MY WIFi OR SLUGGISHNESS AND ALL MY SPEED TEST WOULD ALWAYS RAGE BETWEEN 57 TO 66 Mbps

(yes, with my internet company provider they even give me more that I pay for, the are really cool)

Another Problem; If you have Phone Power, you will wake up every now and then and for no reason find you have NO phone service, why?? Because of outage or whatever they call it.

Another Problem; Technical support: I don't even know if I should call them tech support or crooks, these guys are the worsed of the worse and some of them have a very nasty attitude, am not even sure if these people are imported from North Korea or where the hell they come from, They have NO clue how to help you and in addition to that, they will do the unthinkable to you, let me explain what they did to me not only one time but several times. I called the tech support, several times to help me with their "softphone" app., and because the volume of this little thing they call softphone is always so damn low and very unclear (the stupid softphone has a mind of it's own) the tech guy requested me to allow him have a remote access to my Computer so that he could help with the softphone app configuration, and because I was so desperate for help after trying to solve this issue with them over the phone for so many times, I agreed and allowed that evil dude to take control of my PC, it was the biggest mistake I would later regret. So, he said he would take a look at my PC settings, sound/volume etc to make sure the issue was not with my PC, but guess what? the stupid guy got into y PC and changed everything, he almost destroyed my entire PC. By the time I forced him out of my PC, everything was completely left messed up. I called phone power to complain but NO one cared.

NB: You will also notice that, every time you call their tech support, the so called tech support will listen to all your issues and sometime say, I will have another tech support call you, then you would be like, what the hell? I thought you are the tech support specialist??? I mean these people are just crowns.

WHY YOU SHOULD TRY VONAGE:

Before I tell you to try Vonage, let me briefly tell you why MOST people would tell you NEVER to sign up with Vonage: THE MAJOR PROBLEM, "OVERSEAS/FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE". To tell you the truth, Vonage has the WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT, EVER! The Problem is, if you call them, some foreign Customer Care Specialist will answer the phone and they are dummies...am not sure where the hell they train them at. They are VERY IGNORANT, POOR ENGLISH, MISLEADING AND STUPID. BUT I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOU ABOUT THAT, AND IT'S VERY SIMPLE. AND IT'S THIS: PLEASE CALL VONAGE FOR HELP ANYTIME BETWEEN 9:30AM TO 4:30PM and you will get a American Based Support and trust me, they are very cool. and if by any bad chance your call gets routed to those foreign customer care specialist, turn yourself to a monster and tell them, "...TRANSFER ME TO AN AMERICAN OPERATOR AND TRY TO BE AS TOUGH AS YOU CAN (fake it), BE DEMAND AN AMERICAN CUSTOMER CARE SUPPORT, AND IF YOU HAPPEN TO GET SOMEONE WHO IS NOT READY TO RE-ROUTE YOUR CALL BACK TO THE U.S. BASED SUPPORT, START MUMBLING AND TRY SPEAKING SOME STUPID STRANGE LANGUAGES AND SAY YOU CAN ONLY SPEAK SPANISH OR GERMANY, DUTCH, ETC...THEY WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO SEND YOUR CALL BACK TO U.S MAINLAND...BECAUSE ASIANS IN THOSE CALL CENTERS DON'T SPEAK THOSE LANGUAGES..", That's how you deal with that drama and trust me, that trick works like a charm, lol

Also, Anytime after American day-working hours (8am to 4:30pm), all calls will be routed to India or Philippine call centers and it's just a night mare.

TO GET BEST CALL QUALITY WITH VONAGE:

make sure you're not all over the INTERNET downloading Videos or engaging your Internet too WITH HEAVY FILES ETC..much because remember your internet is sharing same pipes with your phone stream, (your phone is VoIP.)

Another complain I have seen about Vonage:

""Their unlimited is not really unlimited"": This is somehow true but FALSE., LET ME EXPLAIN. calling USA/Canada is PURELY UNLIMITED, you can call how ever you want, NO LIMIT at all, trust me on this one don't listen to some other people saying you will be charged local calls, that's just bs, depending on the Plan you Pick, if it says unlimited, it's UNLIMITED. BUT ....remember they have the other 60+ Other countries unlimited too??? That's the catch, you can ONLY call 3,000 Minutes per month or sometime less, around 2,000, why?? Because even though they are trying to win people with this deal, some people, especially Asians, they talk really A LOT. I had a Friend from one of these Countries and him and his wife, when they are Not working they would sit on the sofa all day Long when they are not working and talk for almost 18 hrs, talking to their friends, Family, etc (abroad).....they really take advantage of this deal, ....and that's when the "CAP" comes in.

Also, Vonage calculates International calls PER MINUTE, not Per Second, meaning if you talk for 2 second, that's a Minute..(I just hate that, but that's how they do it and so do most other companies)

Vonage has another plan they call "VONAGE WORLD PLUS", Please try it, it's really cool, That's what I have, (9.99 First Three Months, and 29.99 After that) I get Unlimited USA/Canada Plus 60+ Other Countries and also, another 250 Free International Minutes To Africa or any other Country of your Choice! Absolutely FREE..NO STRINGS ATTACHED. and after the 250 Minutes, any other call I pay only 0.043 to Africa, It's the Cheapest you can get out there in the International calling Market followed by keku charging 0.073, Phone Power was Charging me triple of that amount and NO Free Minutes, plus the call never went through at all....shame!

For some of you scared of signing a stupid contract with Vonage, they have a 30 day trial deal without a Contact, you try for 30 Days and if you don't like it, then don't sign up, but trust me, after you try them, you will sign up.

NB: am Not Recommending everyone to switch to Vonage, and especially if you don't have good internet connection, all am telling you is, if you work around Vonage minor problems, you could end up getting the BEST service, meanwhile, stay the hell away from Phone Power.

If you have any question, please ask me, I will gladly answer you. Thanks guys and good luck )

Comments:
PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Callcentric

PhonePower review

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

I have one question, is this your first posted review here on Phone Power, or have you posted any earlier ones under another name?

Thank you.

-----

Regarding Vonage, if people want to use Vonage at a much lower price and without so many of the extra taxes and Vonage fees, they can use Basic Talk which is a separate brand, NOT to be confused with Vonage Basic.

Basic Talk adapters are also available at Wal-Mart and elsewhere. However, Basic Talk does not include international calling.

There are many other companies as well, such as Voipo.

-----

I hope that you are happy with Vonage for a long time.
DaveLee

join:2013-12-02
USA

Re: PhonePower review

Thanks Gershom, yes, this is my first time to write any review online, I normally don't like talking or writing about stuff I cannot fully back up, but with my Phone-Power Experience, I just had to speak out the truth because I have realized every time people write any negative stuff about these stupid companies, they delete all the comments pointing out their flows and block that user, but here at dlsreports they have no power to do it. As far as considering the Basic Talk, am not quite sure about that because I mainly like calling abroad and with the basic talk, I may not be able to have that privilege. I hear it's one of the great companies out there though.

Re: PhonePower review

I have to speak the truth as well...

I had some quite critical comments about them on their forum - and they didn't delete them.

I have two cousins that have account with PP: one small business account for a little over 2 years; and another SIP trunking account for about 6 months. We had two outages in 2012; they handled the first one pretty poorly, and the second quite well. Other than that the service was rock solid.

We never had a call that couldn't be completed. Neither outgoing, nor incoming. Small business account is in the medical office; and IT IS THE TRUTH that all calls go through.

I am quite happy with their support. The guys are knowledgeable and easy to work with (I have accent; they don't).

I am not affiliated with PhonePower; in fact, I've been very critical of their business practices (I think their pricing structure is misleading) - both on their forums and here. But technically, I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE BEST LOW-COST VOIP PROVIDERS OUT THERE!
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

.....
accident... sorry. I originally replied to you instead of the main post
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

odd review

I'm curious is to why you would stay with a VOIP company for so long if they were so bad. You said 7 years, but if the service is so terrible, why not try another provider? Also, are you sure that your internet provider wasn't having problems? SKYPE works differently when placing the 'call' than when placing a voice call over VOIP. Another odd thing about your 'review' is that you supposedly love VONAGE. You mentioned that you have had Phone Power for seven years and it seems like you even said that you have had there service up until this month. Now, if you just got VONAGE, how can you know that they are so great if you've only had them for a day or two?
DaveLee

join:2013-12-02
USA

Hi

Look here pal, I know what am talking about, think before you criticize other people reviews. Yes. I talked about Vonage because I have been using Vonage for almost 3 years now (everyday since 2011 I make calls to Africa, Spain, and many other parts of Southern Europe), I installed Vonage services to my Office to Just try it since 2011 while still keeping Phone Power in my house. I gave myself enough time to test it before jumping to any conclusion.
Since 2011, all our family flock to my office to make international calls and the voice quality is so damn great and clear even talking to people in Africa feels so clear as though you're talking to someone in the next door. You asked me why I stayed with Pone Power for quite a long time if they were that bad, that's a great question and the answer is very simple, all my Phone Power calls were forwarded to Vonage line and it worked great. Also, don't forget, Vonage is more expensive compared to Phone Power ($18 vs $41 after tax and everything)
Hope you understand now. Thank you for asking, and if you have any other question or concern about Vonage or PonePower, kindly ask and I will answer. I can tell you, I know Vonage in and out and if you read my original review, you will understand that I did NOT say Vonage has no flows.

Bystander678

@cox.net

Re: Hi

It is difficult to take the review at face value due to the account creation date along with various inconsistencies in the "unbiased" review. Poor grammar also limits the review's effectiveness.

·callwithus
Look here, pal - we all know what we are talking about. I don't think any of us works for PP (I certainly don't); many here have experience with numerous providers. If you said that you had bad experience with PP - nobody would criticize your review. But when you call them "THEY ARE THE WORSED" and advise others to "STAY AWAY FROM THEM" - don't be surprised that people who have much more credibility on this forum consider your review as unhinged.

The criticism isn't meant for you (you obviously made your mind) - it is meant for other readers that consider VoIP providers. Given that you are new to the forum, and given that you are in a minority with your opinion, and given that you are way over the top with your comments - I don't think many people will bring their question or concern about Vonage or PonePower.

And thank you for sharing your honest opinion.

Review by Veloslave See Profile

• Location: Martinez,Contra Costa,CA
Bad "Bad prices, bad equipment, bad support"
Overall "You can do better."

11-8-13 The ATA died months ago, so all the calls started going through my cell phone. They never contact you to let you know your service isn't working... no surprise there the service has over all sucked. I'm moving on. Oh... wait till you see what awaits you when cancelling... they make AOL v1 look easy.

11/2/10 Chris called again and we looked into a couple of items. I am now getting what I call "great" customer support. Ratings have been adjusted. With time AND consistent phone performance they will continue to rise.

11/1/10 Chris called and got it going... and I will be the first to admit, although I still think this phone service has been buggy as heck, Chris gave service/support worthy of being called "customer support/service" Even Chris says that they have had a lot of issues with my account and that the setup for mine is very complicated compared to others. That seems strange to me considering I am on Comcast business... a mainstream provider AND I have a static IP AND I have put the ATA on a DMZ. I just want it to work and to get friendly/considerate help when it doesn't... I don't think that is too much to ask. I am going to raise my review from all zeros for the time being... if the service goes back down, so does the rating. I would LIKE to see this rating go up, especially "tech support" and "value for money"... and I am going to give it a little time.

Fair enough?

10/29/10 I have decided that every time my service goes down to review the service... I sure have done a lot of reviews lately. Yes PP is down again... just a week or two after it was down for a whole week. Frankly, this sucks. Been waiting to get a tech for an online chat for around 3 hours so far...

Update 10/16/10

Well... service has been down for a week now... support has been completely useless and at this point they are ignoring me and leaving me with no home phone to use. The last comment I got was "your connection is the problem" except I have tested the connection myself (and FWIW am a network engineer) have had others test it and everything is fine. "your connection" is the fall back of any VOIP company that cannot get their act together. I have a very clean and robust connection with 25/5, no packet loss, a low ping and no other issues. I am fed up with this company and do not recommend anyone to put themselves through this kind of BS. I should have known better than to agree to a 2 year contract... my bad, lesson learned. Avoid them like the plague... when the companies own support personal cannot get the product working and then leave you hanging with no service but keep right on billing you... just look elsewhere. I don't know when my contract is up but I hope it is soon. Time to write a letter to the FCC.

Update: 10/07/10

Same old not so hot service and just OK product. Don't use it a lot so it doesn't irritate me too much but I would elsewhere if it were time for a change. Still seems like VOIP (consumer grade) is immature... at least the ones that are reasonably priced.

End of update

Got some really bad service so far... no one could get it running... they wanted to end the hour and a half "trying to get it working" phone call because it is closing time. Had a guy in Chat hang up on me on purpose (Thanks DAVE you jerk) and it is still not working right not to mention it being almost unusable with FAX.

I have talked with some very nice people... but knowing what you are doing should go along with the title. Took two calls, both over an hour long to get it working/dial tone... which is intermittent/sometimes it stops working, so it is still not working right and then you get hung up on.

This is another not ready for prime time (everyday dependable residential) VOIP service that the industry is littered with. Maybe I need to move up in price range to get a dependable service WITH customer support that shines... but who are they?

Why can't more companies be run like Honda, Sonic.net and Verizon?

Product AND service... is it too much to ask?

Unfortunately in the day and age it seems the answer is "yes"

member for 10.7 years, 2993 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Dead ATA

It wouldn't be an issue at all to replace the hardware. Unfortunately there is no way for us to determine if you disconnected the device opposed to the hardware being dead. If you are still interested in keeping your service reply to my PM with your account info and I will get your replacement shipping out asap.

Veloslave
Geek For God
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Re: Dead ATA

You cannot tell if the service is connected or being used?

Sorry... going to call BS on that.

Maybe you chose not to and that is your choice. If I owned a company like yours... and I could tell that the service was not connected or being used for months... I would send at least an automated email asking... "everything OK over there? Just checking."

That is my opinion and if you had something like that I would still be with you.

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

Re: Dead ATA

Maybe some clarification might be in order. We can't discern the difference between lack of use due to a dead device or no connection. From a raw technical stand point they appear the same as the device won't be communicating with us. The concept of a "Is everything ok message" is an entirely different idea that has been brought up but there are some concerns in that some users don't connect their device at all and in turn just use our service for call forwarding. Another common scenario is customers who have the device at a vacation home.

I would be more than happy to send you a new device considering the past years of trouble free service you had after working with one of the support reps.

Veloslave
Geek For God
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Re: Dead ATA

I am happy to see good service here on the forum... maybe there is hope.

Thank you but no, I have already switched and canceled the account and am staying with that decision due to price and contract.

The making me return the device that is A) Very old and B) dead anyway seems lame but a moot point at this juncture.

Thanks for trying and while I understand what you mean by unplugged vs dead... seems like another reason/growth pain of residential VOIP... still has pros & cons.

I will re-review my comments and make sure I have been fair when I get a sec.

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8
System This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course

Review by chandollar See Profile

• Location: Montrose,Susquehanna,PA

I have had PP since Nov. 2012. It was great until the beginning of April 2013. Since then I have not been able to call my local numbers in xxx-278-xxxx with any kind of consistency. ALL other outgoing calls and features work fine as well as all incoming calls. Any calls outgoing to 278 local code call results in messages from "invalid routing call contact your phone provider", dead air, ringing 4 or 5 times then dead air etc. After 16 or 18 e-mails and attempts with T2 techs I have resolved the problem going back to TIME WARNER phone for $20 a month just to call local codes in the xxx-278-xxxx, sucks but what can I do. Still keeping PP for all the other goodies which are great plus not giving up and losing my 2 year paid up front fees. ! Anyone else have something like this problem. i.e. calling into a Frontier system with voip?

Comments:
PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Callcentric

Confused.

Since then I have not been able to call my local numbers in xxx-278-xxxx

Do you mean 570-278-xxxx ??

570 is your area code, 278 is the exchange.

570-278-xxxx is not a major phone company, but rather is a local company (Commonwealth Telephone) which now is owned by Frontier (as you mentioned).

The problem may well be on the Frontier end, as Frontier is like the F-Troop of phone companies.

ADDED:

I called a 570-278-xxxx number verified as belonging to Frontier/Commonwealth.

Two calls made on CallCentric were fine.

However, of 3 calls made on different providers (NOT Voip.MS by the way), 2 of the 3 resulted in a message, "This call was made in violation of our terms of service. Please report the number you were calling and your number" or something similar to that.

There DOES seem to be a problem with VoIP connecting to Frontier/Commonwealth in that area, it's probably Frontier/Commonwealth's fault, and it is NOT a specific fault of PhonePower.
josephf

join:2009-04-26
·VoicePulse

Re: Confused.

Even if it is indeed Frontiers fault, unfortunately it is the VOIP customer who bears the brunt of this problem. And his onoy remedy, apparently, is finding a new service provider.

Though it is interesting how a carrier can discriminate on incoming calls based on Providers or clecs.

Re: Confused.

Yes, PP has it working fine for the last 2 days but after a few days it goes "up the river" just as mentioned above... strange huh?

Re: Confused.

Well worked great for few days now no local exchange calling again. Same invalid router config problems back again.

·PHONE POWER
Outgoing calls work fine now but....
Well phonepower is doing it again. NOW the incoming calls are not working, including the so called "failsafe" system. I found out when everybody started calling our cell phones. I am going to find out if I can recoupe some of my $270 up front good faith payments for a system that does not work consistently or even close.. Why didn't these problems show up b4 I jumped at the so called deal.???