PHONE POWER page on DSLReports

Review by guhuna See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Contra Costa,CA
Good "When it works it works great"
Bad "When it doesn it takes them MONTHS to figure it out."
Overall "Stay away for now."

I've been with PP for over 5 years now and have had awesome service until late, lately they've had months worth of "one way audio" issues that the engineers are trying to resolve. Honestly I'm over this audio issue and am looking for another provider as I type this. There are numerous others that have this same issue and all seem to be jumping ship. I honestly cant figure out why it takes months to figure an issue out, you'd think they would have a backup plan.

member for 13.5 years, 7130 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
w9sl

join:2001-08-18
Castle Rock, CO

Phone Power problem continues....

Just to let others know, the PP one way audio problem continues and effects virtually all of my inbound calls. if this isn't resolved immediately I'm outa here.
Am considering Anveo, does anyone have experience with them?

Review by ronny_b See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "Nothing, unless you like nightmares."
Bad "Worked for one evening, then nothing."
Overall "PhonePower is capable of excellent service, but badly botched this operation."

Let me start off by saying that I have had service with PhonePower for several years, and performance has always been excellent. Not so when I signed up with their new Obi-PhonePower service.

This service would save me a worthwhile amount off the monthly fee I had been paying, so I leaped right in. Signup was easy, almost instant, and service excellent (while it lasted.) Which turned out to be one evening.

I put in a ticket requesting that the DID on the old account be transferred to the new account, then the old account was to be cancelled. Sounds easy, right?

Next morning, I received email telling me the number had successfully been transferred, and as soon as I rebooted the PhonePower ATA, i would be good to go. That ATA had been disconnected - I was using the Obi. Nevertheless, I hooked it up and rebooted both the ATA and the Obi. Nothing. The phone on the new account had stopped working BEFORE i went through this. Same with the old account (which was supposed to happen.) To me, it seemed that some over-zealous employee had cancelled BOTH accounts, since I could not sign into either on the PP web site. No problem, a call to customer service will clear that up Yeah, right.

First off, the CS who took the call told me that Billing handles number ports, and transferred me. Short conversation with Billing, then transferred back to CS. Different operator.

He first took control of my computer. No idea what he did. Then he had me go to the Obi web site and click on the "Approved Service Providers" button on the Obi Dashboard. Next. click on PhonePower, as if I were signing up Scroll down the page, find two boxes for choosing device and SP slot. It was installed on the Obi 110, SP 2, so that is what I chose. Next, click on a large button captioned "restore existing account". I clicked, and a message came up informing me that the requested page could not be found, an suggesting that I check the URL Same thing that comes up when I sign into either account. After about 1-2 hours, he gave up.

Next day - encore performance. That's where it stands now, except that PP put an unauthorized charge on my debit card for $99 and change because I have not yet returned their ATA.

I really would like to get this resolved because, as I said earlier, PP is capable of excellent service. Perhaps a simple solution would be to cancel the account, refund the money I paid for a year of service, and then let me sign up again - providing my phone number is not lost somewhere.

UPDATE - 5-24-2014

i can't say whether PP read my review, since they have not contacted me.

However, today, I once again tried going to the "Approved Service Providers" in the Obitalk dashboard. This time, when I selected PP, it told me to sign into my account. Something new! Previously when I attempted to sign in, a window would come up with an error message to the effect that the desired destination could not be found.

Hurriedly, I signed in - A message appeared, atating that I needed to resync the Obe 110 with PP. A button was provided for this task. I clicked, then glanced over at the Obi. Red light! It was re-booting! As soon as all the lights seemed OK, I dialed **2 (for PP) and the local time and temp number. I worked! Next, called my cell phone to verify the CID. Sure enough, it was the number I had requested to be transferred to this account. Made a few more calls, and all seemed well.

Recall, when I first signed up for this account, it worked for one evening and the next morning was kaput. Let's hope it lasts longer this time!

(Just kidding, PP - I don't know what you did, but if you fixed it, I'm sure it will stay fixed.)

Comments:

Review by Enthusiast See Profile

• Location: Township Of Washington,Bergen,NJ
Good "Their BroadVoice's World Plan is EXCELLENT! "
Bad "Their charge process is HORRIFIC! Customer Service is ATROCIOUS! Tech Support Very BAD! "
Overall "HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT...especially the 2nd time around! BAD! BAD! BAD!"

Phone Power contacted me via my old BroadVoice Service (PhonePower acquired BroadVoice). Had Phone Power service back in 2010 for about a month and cancelled because of atrocious CS and went to another horrific service company BroadVoice which as I underlined is now owned by PhonePower. Decided to give them the 2nd chance a month ago (December 2013) I signed up after four (4) horrific years with VONAGE (that was another nightmare)!

1.) Phone Power has problems with different Debit Cards' transactions. Phone Power charged my Debit Card once and their Rep reported that it would charge no more. Contacted my bank and their personnel continued to assure me that the problem is with PhonePower. Phone Power's representative told me that this problem comes up from time to time with customers and that there is NOT anything that can be done; sooo what am I suppose to do? Go get a new bank or Bank Card just for Phone Power? That ain't happenin.

2.) They accepted overpaying the account's balance to leave surplus in the account - however, PP still billed my account with a card their CS Reps repeatedly underline "it does not work' within their current security authentication, even though there is more than enough money in my accounts to stay current with current charges. Continue to receive Emails that read 'Debit Card' - DECLINED!

3.) Sent five (5) Emails expressing how annoying it all is...and PP do NOT deduct the money from the $100.00 credit in the account; instead, continue to send the harassing Emails. So the $100.00 sits out there NOT being used.

4.) Continuously receive every other day Emails threatening to suspend service. Even though there is $100.00 in the account that can be used for both (2) phone services. HORRIBLE!

5.) EXHAUSTING having to go back and forth and receiving threatening Emails.

6.) My phone still has the time that is NOT current. Contacted Tech Support two (2) x about the problem; the time stamp on calls are not in any US Time Zones. Go figure!

Do these people believe / think that their customers do NOT have anything to do but sit on the phone or write Emails ongoing back and forth about nonsense problems? Evidently!

I do NOT recommend Phone Power at all; ABSOLUTELY not! Unnecessary NIGHTMARE!

Comments:

topgun

Drive by troll?

Rates them all 0 despite mentioning anything about his experience other then his billing problem and tech support!

Billing Issues

Enthusiast, I would like to investigate your account to find out what is wrong with the billing process as the issue you reporting with the time stamps on your calls. Can you PM me your account info so I can look in to it?

Review by Bobesz See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "price"
Bad "Technical support hopeless, voice quality bad, no caller id at all in canada"

The only good thing about PhonePower its price, sound quality not that good as advertised and serious issue with caller id.Caller Id does work at least in Canada, it shows only the city from where the call is coming from.

According to Andy from technical support " this is how our system works" so if caller id its important to you to bother to sign up with phone power

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Caller ID

Let me explain here, LIDB (Line Information DataBase) – »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDB
used in the United States and Canada by traditional telephone companies to store and retrieve Caller ID records. Local phone switches, also known as Class 5 switches, use SS7 signaling protocol to query these centralized databases and pass this information during call set up.

So if cell carriers publish the city & number of their subscribers to LIDB then the originating carrier will query that database & pull the city/number info.

To break it down we do the CNAM dip, and it’s really what’s up to what the cell carrier or carriers have published. I have looked through your detailed call log and see that all land lines cnam or caller id have been passed to us and then sent directly to you.

There is a work around this but you did not allow me to finish explaining why and how caller id works with our system. If you would like to continue Please feel free to contact us at anytime our tech support hours are 5am – 8pm PST weekdays And 6am – 5pm PST weekends .

howard

@64.229.97.x

looking for better-inexpensive phone service ---a comment on Rob Ford

I am looking to subscribe to phone power, and am located near Toronto Ontario Canada. This review troubles me though. Can I be given a phone # to talk to a rep in person. The problem with these postings are you really don't know who is telling the truth, or what the true motive of the comment is. We currently have Bell as our internet provider. I need to decide immediately. If not Phone Power, than which VOIP service has the best overall performance servicing Toronto, Canada. PS. No one looks at Rob Ford's history of spending zero with his own personal expense accounts given to him as a councilor or his desire to cut wasted spending. Finally someone who cares about how the people's tax dollars are spent. (A+) His role as representing the City of Toronto as an ambassador by his own personal behavior (F) It would be better if he would seek help with his personal life, and let everyone know he is doing that. He does represent the City of Toronto. The actual job he was doing

Review by DaveLee See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Phone Power is the WORSE, NOTHING GOOD ABOUT IT"
Bad "THEY ARE THE WORSED"
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THEM"

MY HONEST AND UN-BIASED REVIEW ON PHONE POWER (www.phonepower.com)

PHONE POWER IS THE WORSE OF THE WORSED. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SIGNING UP WITH THESE CROOKS AND IF YOU ARE ALREADY A CUSTOMER THERE, RUN RUN RUN. IT'S A SCAM. AND I WILL EXPLAIN.

If you use Phone Power or are trying to sign up with Phone Power, Please invest your 4 minutes to make sure you read every single word am writing on this honest review about them before you make any decision.

Let's get started:

I have been a Phone Power customer for nearly 7 years now (December 2013) after switching from a Major phone company, Bright House Networks-Central Florida, which is by far one of the best Phone companies here in central Florida as far as Quality of Service, Technical support and Customer care.

Question:

Why did I switch from Bright House to Phone Power??

Answer:

I was spending almost $300.00 on International calls alone and so, I was looking for a way out to balance between International Calls and domestic calls expenses, all my monthly Phone bill, Domestic and International combined was totaling to over $350.00

NB: I make a lot of International calls to Africa every day because we have local charities there we help every month and so, we make a lot of calls everyday, we have to, we have been investing a lot of money there for the last 10 years helping poor people, kids etc..

So, to go straight to my points, here are the reasons you MUST NOT sign up with Phone power, because they are the worse: Phone power has a lot of what they call "ROUTING PROBLEMS" Let me explain to you what that is: There are some numbers you cannot call and this is a "two" way problem, meaning some people will try to call you and the call will simply NOT go through. I have experienced this A LOT, and the trick is, if you're a currently a phone power customer you already have this problem unaware right now as you read this review but you don't even know it. I remember trying to call my college and the call would never go through for apparently NO reason, yes, I said college, a major, big college.....then because I have Skype I would try calling with Skype and the call would go through with no issues right away. How stupid is that??? Some time people would call me and ask me why I blocked them or why I'm not reachable...very annoying.

Second problem; again with routing issues, even though I had my International Calling Feature enabled, all my International calls were completely NOT going through, at first, it used to work, but with the POOREST CALL QUALITY THAT YOU CAN EVER THINK OF, really horrible. Am very sad when I think about it even right now as I type this post and please note: MY INTERNET SPEED IS 60Mbps, MY INTERNET IS LIKE LIGHTENING, VERY FAST, AND I DON'T USE ANY OTHER WIFI ACCESSORIES OR ELECTRONICS IN MY HOUSE....ONLY MY LAPTOP. AND I WOULD OFTEN DOUBLE CHECK MY INTERNET SPEED AND SETTING TO MAKE SURE NO BODY IS MESSING WITH MY WIFi OR SLUGGISHNESS AND ALL MY SPEED TEST WOULD ALWAYS RAGE BETWEEN 57 TO 66 Mbps

(yes, with my internet company provider they even give me more that I pay for, the are really cool)

Another Problem; If you have Phone Power, you will wake up every now and then and for no reason find you have NO phone service, why?? Because of outage or whatever they call it.

Another Problem; Technical support: I don't even know if I should call them tech support or crooks, these guys are the worsed of the worse and some of them have a very nasty attitude, am not even sure if these people are imported from North Korea or where the hell they come from, They have NO clue how to help you and in addition to that, they will do the unthinkable to you, let me explain what they did to me not only one time but several times. I called the tech support, several times to help me with their "softphone" app., and because the volume of this little thing they call softphone is always so damn low and very unclear (the stupid softphone has a mind of it's own) the tech guy requested me to allow him have a remote access to my Computer so that he could help with the softphone app configuration, and because I was so desperate for help after trying to solve this issue with them over the phone for so many times, I agreed and allowed that evil dude to take control of my PC, it was the biggest mistake I would later regret. So, he said he would take a look at my PC settings, sound/volume etc to make sure the issue was not with my PC, but guess what? the stupid guy got into y PC and changed everything, he almost destroyed my entire PC. By the time I forced him out of my PC, everything was completely left messed up. I called phone power to complain but NO one cared.

NB: You will also notice that, every time you call their tech support, the so called tech support will listen to all your issues and sometime say, I will have another tech support call you, then you would be like, what the hell? I thought you are the tech support specialist??? I mean these people are just crowns.

WHY YOU SHOULD TRY VONAGE:

Before I tell you to try Vonage, let me briefly tell you why MOST people would tell you NEVER to sign up with Vonage: THE MAJOR PROBLEM, "OVERSEAS/FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE". To tell you the truth, Vonage has the WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT, EVER! The Problem is, if you call them, some foreign Customer Care Specialist will answer the phone and they are dummies...am not sure where the hell they train them at. They are VERY IGNORANT, POOR ENGLISH, MISLEADING AND STUPID. BUT I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOU ABOUT THAT, AND IT'S VERY SIMPLE. AND IT'S THIS: PLEASE CALL VONAGE FOR HELP ANYTIME BETWEEN 9:30AM TO 4:30PM and you will get a American Based Support and trust me, they are very cool. and if by any bad chance your call gets routed to those foreign customer care specialist, turn yourself to a monster and tell them, "...TRANSFER ME TO AN AMERICAN OPERATOR AND TRY TO BE AS TOUGH AS YOU CAN (fake it), BE DEMAND AN AMERICAN CUSTOMER CARE SUPPORT, AND IF YOU HAPPEN TO GET SOMEONE WHO IS NOT READY TO RE-ROUTE YOUR CALL BACK TO THE U.S. BASED SUPPORT, START MUMBLING AND TRY SPEAKING SOME STUPID STRANGE LANGUAGES AND SAY YOU CAN ONLY SPEAK SPANISH OR GERMANY, DUTCH, ETC...THEY WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO SEND YOUR CALL BACK TO U.S MAINLAND...BECAUSE ASIANS IN THOSE CALL CENTERS DON'T SPEAK THOSE LANGUAGES..", That's how you deal with that drama and trust me, that trick works like a charm, lol

Also, Anytime after American day-working hours (8am to 4:30pm), all calls will be routed to India or Philippine call centers and it's just a night mare.

TO GET BEST CALL QUALITY WITH VONAGE:

make sure you're not all over the INTERNET downloading Videos or engaging your Internet too WITH HEAVY FILES ETC..much because remember your internet is sharing same pipes with your phone stream, (your phone is VoIP.)

Another complain I have seen about Vonage:

""Their unlimited is not really unlimited"": This is somehow true but FALSE., LET ME EXPLAIN. calling USA/Canada is PURELY UNLIMITED, you can call how ever you want, NO LIMIT at all, trust me on this one don't listen to some other people saying you will be charged local calls, that's just bs, depending on the Plan you Pick, if it says unlimited, it's UNLIMITED. BUT ....remember they have the other 60+ Other countries unlimited too??? That's the catch, you can ONLY call 3,000 Minutes per month or sometime less, around 2,000, why?? Because even though they are trying to win people with this deal, some people, especially Asians, they talk really A LOT. I had a Friend from one of these Countries and him and his wife, when they are Not working they would sit on the sofa all day Long when they are not working and talk for almost 18 hrs, talking to their friends, Family, etc (abroad).....they really take advantage of this deal, ....and that's when the "CAP" comes in.

Also, Vonage calculates International calls PER MINUTE, not Per Second, meaning if you talk for 2 second, that's a Minute..(I just hate that, but that's how they do it and so do most other companies)

Vonage has another plan they call "VONAGE WORLD PLUS", Please try it, it's really cool, That's what I have, (9.99 First Three Months, and 29.99 After that) I get Unlimited USA/Canada Plus 60+ Other Countries and also, another 250 Free International Minutes To Africa or any other Country of your Choice! Absolutely FREE..NO STRINGS ATTACHED. and after the 250 Minutes, any other call I pay only 0.043 to Africa, It's the Cheapest you can get out there in the International calling Market followed by keku charging 0.073, Phone Power was Charging me triple of that amount and NO Free Minutes, plus the call never went through at all....shame!

For some of you scared of signing a stupid contract with Vonage, they have a 30 day trial deal without a Contact, you try for 30 Days and if you don't like it, then don't sign up, but trust me, after you try them, you will sign up.

NB: am Not Recommending everyone to switch to Vonage, and especially if you don't have good internet connection, all am telling you is, if you work around Vonage minor problems, you could end up getting the BEST service, meanwhile, stay the hell away from Phone Power.

If you have any question, please ask me, I will gladly answer you. Thanks guys and good luck )

Comments:
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Optimum Voice

PhonePower review

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

I have one question, is this your first posted review here on Phone Power, or have you posted any earlier ones under another name?

Thank you.

-----

Regarding Vonage, if people want to use Vonage at a much lower price and without so many of the extra taxes and Vonage fees, they can use Basic Talk which is a separate brand, NOT to be confused with Vonage Basic.

Basic Talk adapters are also available at Wal-Mart and elsewhere. However, Basic Talk does not include international calling.

There are many other companies as well, such as Voipo.

-----

I hope that you are happy with Vonage for a long time.
DaveLee

join:2013-12-02
USA

Re: PhonePower review

Thanks Gershom, yes, this is my first time to write any review online, I normally don't like talking or writing about stuff I cannot fully back up, but with my Phone-Power Experience, I just had to speak out the truth because I have realized every time people write any negative stuff about these stupid companies, they delete all the comments pointing out their flows and block that user, but here at dlsreports they have no power to do it. As far as considering the Basic Talk, am not quite sure about that because I mainly like calling abroad and with the basic talk, I may not be able to have that privilege. I hear it's one of the great companies out there though.

Re: PhonePower review

I have to speak the truth as well...

I had some quite critical comments about them on their forum - and they didn't delete them.

I have two cousins that have account with PP: one small business account for a little over 2 years; and another SIP trunking account for about 6 months. We had two outages in 2012; they handled the first one pretty poorly, and the second quite well. Other than that the service was rock solid.

We never had a call that couldn't be completed. Neither outgoing, nor incoming. Small business account is in the medical office; and IT IS THE TRUTH that all calls go through.

I am quite happy with their support. The guys are knowledgeable and easy to work with (I have accent; they don't).

I am not affiliated with PhonePower; in fact, I've been very critical of their business practices (I think their pricing structure is misleading) - both on their forums and here. But technically, I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE BEST LOW-COST VOIP PROVIDERS OUT THERE!
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

.....
accident... sorry. I originally replied to you instead of the main post
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

odd review

I'm curious is to why you would stay with a VOIP company for so long if they were so bad. You said 7 years, but if the service is so terrible, why not try another provider? Also, are you sure that your internet provider wasn't having problems? SKYPE works differently when placing the 'call' than when placing a voice call over VOIP. Another odd thing about your 'review' is that you supposedly love VONAGE. You mentioned that you have had Phone Power for seven years and it seems like you even said that you have had there service up until this month. Now, if you just got VONAGE, how can you know that they are so great if you've only had them for a day or two?
DaveLee

join:2013-12-02
USA

Hi

Look here pal, I know what am talking about, think before you criticize other people reviews. Yes. I talked about Vonage because I have been using Vonage for almost 3 years now (everyday since 2011 I make calls to Africa, Spain, and many other parts of Southern Europe), I installed Vonage services to my Office to Just try it since 2011 while still keeping Phone Power in my house. I gave myself enough time to test it before jumping to any conclusion.
Since 2011, all our family flock to my office to make international calls and the voice quality is so damn great and clear even talking to people in Africa feels so clear as though you're talking to someone in the next door. You asked me why I stayed with Pone Power for quite a long time if they were that bad, that's a great question and the answer is very simple, all my Phone Power calls were forwarded to Vonage line and it worked great. Also, don't forget, Vonage is more expensive compared to Phone Power ($18 vs $41 after tax and everything)
Hope you understand now. Thank you for asking, and if you have any other question or concern about Vonage or PonePower, kindly ask and I will answer. I can tell you, I know Vonage in and out and if you read my original review, you will understand that I did NOT say Vonage has no flows.

Bystander678

@cox.net

Re: Hi

It is difficult to take the review at face value due to the account creation date along with various inconsistencies in the "unbiased" review. Poor grammar also limits the review's effectiveness.

·VOIPO
Look here, pal - we all know what we are talking about. I don't think any of us works for PP (I certainly don't); many here have experience with numerous providers. If you said that you had bad experience with PP - nobody would criticize your review. But when you call them "THEY ARE THE WORSED" and advise others to "STAY AWAY FROM THEM" - don't be surprised that people who have much more credibility on this forum consider your review as unhinged.

The criticism isn't meant for you (you obviously made your mind) - it is meant for other readers that consider VoIP providers. Given that you are new to the forum, and given that you are in a minority with your opinion, and given that you are way over the top with your comments - I don't think many people will bring their question or concern about Vonage or PonePower.

And thank you for sharing your honest opinion.

Review by Veloslave See Profile

• Location: Martinez,Contra Costa,CA
Bad "Bad prices, bad equipment, bad support"
Overall "You can do better."

11-8-13 The ATA died months ago, so all the calls started going through my cell phone. They never contact you to let you know your service isn't working... no surprise there the service has over all sucked. I'm moving on. Oh... wait till you see what awaits you when cancelling... they make AOL v1 look easy.

11/2/10 Chris called again and we looked into a couple of items. I am now getting what I call "great" customer support. Ratings have been adjusted. With time AND consistent phone performance they will continue to rise.

11/1/10 Chris called and got it going... and I will be the first to admit, although I still think this phone service has been buggy as heck, Chris gave service/support worthy of being called "customer support/service" Even Chris says that they have had a lot of issues with my account and that the setup for mine is very complicated compared to others. That seems strange to me considering I am on Comcast business... a mainstream provider AND I have a static IP AND I have put the ATA on a DMZ. I just want it to work and to get friendly/considerate help when it doesn't... I don't think that is too much to ask. I am going to raise my review from all zeros for the time being... if the service goes back down, so does the rating. I would LIKE to see this rating go up, especially "tech support" and "value for money"... and I am going to give it a little time.

Fair enough?

10/29/10 I have decided that every time my service goes down to review the service... I sure have done a lot of reviews lately. Yes PP is down again... just a week or two after it was down for a whole week. Frankly, this sucks. Been waiting to get a tech for an online chat for around 3 hours so far...

Update 10/16/10

Well... service has been down for a week now... support has been completely useless and at this point they are ignoring me and leaving me with no home phone to use. The last comment I got was "your connection is the problem" except I have tested the connection myself (and FWIW am a network engineer) have had others test it and everything is fine. "your connection" is the fall back of any VOIP company that cannot get their act together. I have a very clean and robust connection with 25/5, no packet loss, a low ping and no other issues. I am fed up with this company and do not recommend anyone to put themselves through this kind of BS. I should have known better than to agree to a 2 year contract... my bad, lesson learned. Avoid them like the plague... when the companies own support personal cannot get the product working and then leave you hanging with no service but keep right on billing you... just look elsewhere. I don't know when my contract is up but I hope it is soon. Time to write a letter to the FCC.

Update: 10/07/10

Same old not so hot service and just OK product. Don't use it a lot so it doesn't irritate me too much but I would elsewhere if it were time for a change. Still seems like VOIP (consumer grade) is immature... at least the ones that are reasonably priced.

End of update

Got some really bad service so far... no one could get it running... they wanted to end the hour and a half "trying to get it working" phone call because it is closing time. Had a guy in Chat hang up on me on purpose (Thanks DAVE you jerk) and it is still not working right not to mention it being almost unusable with FAX.

I have talked with some very nice people... but knowing what you are doing should go along with the title. Took two calls, both over an hour long to get it working/dial tone... which is intermittent/sometimes it stops working, so it is still not working right and then you get hung up on.

This is another not ready for prime time (everyday dependable residential) VOIP service that the industry is littered with. Maybe I need to move up in price range to get a dependable service WITH customer support that shines... but who are they?

Why can't more companies be run like Honda, Sonic.net and Verizon?

Product AND service... is it too much to ask?

Unfortunately in the day and age it seems the answer is "yes"

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

Dead ATA

It wouldn't be an issue at all to replace the hardware. Unfortunately there is no way for us to determine if you disconnected the device opposed to the hardware being dead. If you are still interested in keeping your service reply to my PM with your account info and I will get your replacement shipping out asap.

Veloslave
Geek For God
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Re: Dead ATA

You cannot tell if the service is connected or being used?

Sorry... going to call BS on that.

Maybe you chose not to and that is your choice. If I owned a company like yours... and I could tell that the service was not connected or being used for months... I would send at least an automated email asking... "everything OK over there? Just checking."

That is my opinion and if you had something like that I would still be with you.

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

Re: Dead ATA

Maybe some clarification might be in order. We can't discern the difference between lack of use due to a dead device or no connection. From a raw technical stand point they appear the same as the device won't be communicating with us. The concept of a "Is everything ok message" is an entirely different idea that has been brought up but there are some concerns in that some users don't connect their device at all and in turn just use our service for call forwarding. Another common scenario is customers who have the device at a vacation home.

I would be more than happy to send you a new device considering the past years of trouble free service you had after working with one of the support reps.

Veloslave
Geek For God
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Re: Dead ATA

I am happy to see good service here on the forum... maybe there is hope.

Thank you but no, I have already switched and canceled the account and am staying with that decision due to price and contract.

The making me return the device that is A) Very old and B) dead anyway seems lame but a moot point at this juncture.

Thanks for trying and while I understand what you mean by unplugged vs dead... seems like another reason/growth pain of residential VOIP... still has pros & cons.

I will re-review my comments and make sure I have been fair when I get a sec.

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8
System This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course

• Location: Bountiful,Davis,UT
Good "Phone Service worked about 70% of the time once installed"
Bad "Install took 35 hours. Customer Service would not let us out of contract though product did not work."
Overall "If your service does not work immediately, you are locked into contract and hours of tech support calls (we logged 50 hrs)"

Our Phone Power VOIP phone service has not worked in a year-and-a-half
after we logged 50 hours of customer service and technical support calls
trying to get it to work. Phone Power refused to let us out of our
contract even though they could not deliver on the product we paid to
receive. Their customer service policy seems to be "The Customer is Always
Wrong" and "Our Company is Always Right." There appears to be no limit to
how far they will make the customer go to prove their product is not
inferior.

We became PhonePower customers in 2009 with a pre-paid 2-year contract of
$15 per month. Be aware the fee goes up to $20-30 per month after your
contract expires unless you *call the month prior to the contract
expiring*and set up another pre-paid, lower-priced contract. However,
this
additional extension of the contract proved a mistake for our family. Here
is our experience:

Initial set-up of Phone Power VOIP service took *35 hours*. Yes, you read
that correctly -- 35 hours. Most of those hours were spent online or on
the phone with their technical support department. Tech reps continually
jimmied this and that and ultimately got it working, but only because I had
the time to spend at night on the phone with their technical support team.
You may be wondering to yourself: Why on earth would anyone spend that much
time on the phone trying to get their VOIP service to work? The answer is
simple: Because the company would not let us out of our pre-paid contract.
No exceptions. No common sense. No limit to how many hours the company
expects you can spend on the phone with their technical support team. It
seems that even if the company does NOT provide the service you have paid
to receive, you are still on the hook for the full cost of the contract
(whether you prepaid the contract or whether you are month-to-month on
contracted service their policy is the same.) They are perfectly willing
to have a customer spend 35 hours of their time trying to get their product
to work rather than to let you out of their contract -- or, shall we note,
to take their claws off your money.

The nightmare truly began when we moved and brought the Phone Power VOIP
service with us. For some inexplicable reason, it did not work in the new
apartment, even though we brought all the cords up without disconnecting
them and we did the "plug and play" route of the same set-up that had
previously worked. We spent 15 hours on the phone with Phone Power trying
to get it set up, eventually asking to be let out of the contract and again
being told that we just needed to spend more time on the phone with
customer service and there was no way for us to be let out of our contract
(I have since learned there is an early termination fee option, and I
advise customers to take it rather than try and deal with this company).
Our Phone Power VOIP service has not worked for the past year and a half,
and when I called today to again ask for a refund or to be let out of their
contract, the supervisor Jessica again told me the company would do nothing
and I was stuck. This is their *modus operandi*. When I asked where I
could lodge a complaint about her customer service, I was told in a very
snotty tone that "No one is on the floor but me. There is no one else for
you to complain to," as though their company has no president or CEO.

It appears the technical support team keeps lousy call records, so be sure
and keep your own account. Our account record apparently never showed the
hours of phone calls we logged trying to set up the service, or the fact
that we requested repeatedly to be let out of the contract. I listened in
disbelief as the supervisor "Jessica" told me that our technical call
record indicated that our troubles were "all resolved" and that "customer
was pleased." This was a total fallacy. The technical support team did
actually shine today (a rarity) and got my phone service working in just
2.5 hours -- it appears that split wall jacks can severely disable the
service, which no one had ever mentioned before this call. At least the
remainder of our contract commitment will not be a total waste of money
since we will actually have the phone service to use. However, even during
these last "successful" 2.5 hours, I had to make three separate tech
support calls, and one representative simply hung up on me. When I called
back, the tech support record said it was a "dropped call." Yeah, *right*.

Needless to say, we will not be re-upping our contract next time. We are a
bit smarter after this horrid experience! Give Phone Power the BIG MISS if
you do not want serious headaches with your phone service. There are
undoubtedly honest VOIP providers on the market. By the way, Phone Power
says they are a company out of California, but their actual physical
address for tax purposes is listed in Las Vegas. No surprise there!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

ymhee_bcex

huh?

I am not a big fan of PhonePower... but what plan costs $200 a month?!

Re: huh?

Um, the plan cost $200 for our initial two-year contract. The review does not ever say it cost $200 per month, so I do not know where your information comes from on that point.

Re: huh?

Look at the top of your review:

Bountiful,Davis,UT
[Contract] $200 per month
(24 month contract)

Does not make sense....

1) If your INITIAL installation took 35 hours (which is quite hard to believe---that's a full work week) then for gosh sakes why didn't you CANCEL as they do have a guarantee:

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. PhonePower.com proudly stands behind our service with our 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Within the first 30 days of your activation you may upgrade or downgrade to any of our current promotional rates or cancel your plan with absolutely no hassle. If cancelling, simply contact customer service requesting cancellation, return the hardware to us and a full refund will be issued. Customer only bears the cost of return shipping and any usage-based calls (example: Operator or International calls). Money back guarantee is not applicable on unsupported internet services.

So you had a MONTH to cancel. Let's say it took a week for you to receive the equipment, then you had this aggravation for 2 more weeks. Well, that STILL gave you another week to cancel, and you didn't.

2) If for some reason they refused to honor that guarantee, you could have complained to your credit card company. You didn't.

3) Even after all that, when your original contract was up after 2 years, after all the aggravation, you could have easily switched to another company.
You didn't. You let it renew....

Way I see it, this is your fault 3 times, and that makes this review even harder to believe.

@qwest.net

Re: Does not make sense....

Guarantee was not honored. And, YES, it was a full work-week to get it installed.
·callwithus

Re: Does not make sense....

Well, I am sorry for your experience.

But I am surprised that you did not challenge it with your credit card company (you usually have 60 days to do that), and am even more surprised that you would have stayed with them at renewal.

Can you provide more info as to what the problem was after you moved? What do you mean by "split wall jacks"?

Thanks.

Incorporated in California....

The reviewer complained that the company is in Nevada, not California.

Now, there would be nothing wrong with that. Massive numbers of US companies are incorporated by choice in Delaware, and Nevada is becoming a popular state also.

But in fact:

a) Phone Power is no longer incorporated in Nevada. Actually, it looks to me that the Nevada entity was a different company anyway.

b) [Phone Power LLC] is currently set up as an LLC in California: California Secretary of State Entity Number 200634210004.

c) Their sister company [Quality Speaks LLC] is currently set up as an LLC in California: California Secretary of State Entity Number 201035810008

@qwest.net

Re: Incorporated in California....

Thank you. It appears my information was old on the point of incorporation, and I accept your correction.

·VOIPO
FWIW, I drive by their office in Los Angeles suburb every time I take my daughter to school. Unless they put up a big ruse, they are in California.

Obviously, that by itself doesn't make me like them any better or worse. So, this whole Nevada/California argument comes across as when you don't feel your main argument is strong enough. Just like $200/month - which is probably a simple typo.

I am with Eliezer - your review looks strange; I really can't find a better word. Almost like you had a Stockholm syndrome or something like it.
DSM Fan

join:2010-10-04
Covina, CA

Epic

The OR is kind of fail. looks like another drive by flaming.

Review by LeChi See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "2 phone lines instead of one."
Bad "Customer Service - called in and cancel 2 lines only to find out they billed me for entire year."
Overall "Not worth playing their game: $8/moth is great, but then you will have to deal with them and it's not worth your time or energy"

Technically they are somewhat Ok... But that is if everything works well. Or they didn't overcharge you. Or any other reason that causes you to talk to them. Once on the phone you will be bounced around between people who cannot make any decisions on their own. They will promise to call back with no follow through. You will really need to stay on top of them. And then, they will do whatever THEY want without considering you side at all. Bottom line, they behave just like a huge company: AT&T or Comcast, treating customer like nothing more but a record in their book... You are better off with a big company then... Very frustrating experience. Would not advice to anyone.

Comments:
PX Eliezer7

Details?

Exactly what issue did you have with them?

Why did you cancel?

And what plan did you sign up for initially?

Yes, their popular plan IS a yearly plan. If you pay each month it costs more....

Did they sign you up for a plan other than the one you intended?

PhonePower
Winnetka, CA

I am having a billing manager review your account and follow up
ASAP. Please note that we have escalation personnel on staff that you may ask to be transferred to at all times should you feel that your issue is not being handled to your satisfaction.

I am confident that any issue you encountered will be resolved amicably and favorably.

Biased Review

I have had PP for 4 years. Have always been called back, emails returned, and problems escalated. Definitely not getting the whole story here folks. I missed a call from them last night, explained the situation @ 8:04 EST got put back in the cb que and Don called me back @ 9:20. I can be opinionated as much as the next intranet troll. If PP or any other company does me wrong I'll be more then happy to open my BIG mouth. However, to just do a drive by slam review without stating any information is like thinking real court is going before Judge Judy.
jacobslive
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA

Hello!

What is the problem with their service that you had to call and cancel? We are missing the whole point here duh!

It seems like a biased or fake review to me!

I came back to phonepower after 1+ years and have two lines with them. Both of them are prepaid for whole year. Your review does not make any point here, if you tell what exactly happened, why you got unhappy with the service, how many times you contacted them to fix the issue etc. it will be easy to understand.

Review by zjhodson See Profile

• Location: Cape Coral,Lee,FL
Good "Tech support is easy to reach"
Bad "Reliability, Setup, Knowledge of reps, Router problems"
Overall "PhonePower is by a wide margin the worst career move I have ever made."

This company has been a nightmare since the beginning. It took a week to get the system working initially and from that point in has never worked very well. The voice mail has not worked as it should. The "power forwarding" has not worked as it was supposed to. Since the router has to be the first thing on the network when it misbehaves as it have been doing since the beginning it cripples the entire office. After banging my head against the wall for weeks tech support finally concluded that I must have a defective router. After grudgingly agreeing to ship it over-night he assured me he would personally configure it so that it would immediately when plugged in. I received the router yesterday and I had to stay at the office 30 minutes late to install it because as stated previously it must be the first thing in the network so any maintenance TAKES DOWN THE NETWORK. Tech Support partially fulfilled his promise. The internet and the phone system came up within a minute which is a dramatic improvement of the 30 minutes to 4 hours the old router had taken to establish a connection to the internet. Unfortunately today I had wildly unpredictable up/down bandwidth, one minute it would be 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up with a 29ms ping and the next it would be .15Mbps down and .5Mbps up with a 1900ms ping. They remotely logged into the router and adjusted the settings and now I have a pretty reliable 9Mbps down and 6Mbps up. This means that my VOIP system is bogarting at least 50% of my download through-put but at least it's consistent now. Issues with forwarding and voicemail persist.

My choice to recommend PhonePower as the VOIP provider for my company has caused irreparable damage to my reputation and credibility and has cost this my company thousands in business and caused immeasurable damage to our image as professionals. At no point has PhonePower offered a credit to our company for these problems not that any credit to our bill would hold a candle to the damages to our company, it's reputation, or my personal reputation. I am 80% certain my company will replace me at it's earliest opportunity over this debacle.

Comments:
PX Eliezer7

Thank you.

Thanks for a detailed and specific report.

I hope that things will work out for you.

4 edits

Very Misleading Review

As far as VoIP taking 50% of your throughput that just is not possible! G711u uses approximately 84Kb/s so that would be enough for 73 simultaneous conversations at the highest codec or 384 at the lowest.

The last part of this review is just a rant on how the OP feels that he has been wronged and like most of GP feels he should be compensated for "supposed" lost revenue. To be honest the best thing for the company would be to loose a little revenue for the following reasons.

A. Trying to use VoIp on a connection without proper BETA testing before going live.
B. Not reading the TOS »www.phonepower.com/services/term···tos.aspx start at 12. WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY.
C. If the company was making all this revenue the OP claims, why risk loosing said amount to save a few bucks?

They should only terminate you if it was your bright idea for using VoIP in a live environment without BETA testing first, having no contingency plan, and not know knowing the basics about how VoIP routers work. That being said, I imagine you had good intentions and were just trying to save them money. If that was the case then you should be promoted to upper management.

»www.amazon.com/Dogberts-Top-Secr···87308813

»www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a···deo.html

zjhodson

join:2012-06-28
Cape Coral, FL

Re: Very Misleading Review

I don't feel I should be compensated. I don't feel I can be compensated. The device I have is in fact a router. It is an Edgewater router and phone power refers to it as such. It preforms the functions of a router. You can call it whatever you like. that is beside the point. The connection isn't crappy. It's more than sufficient for the VOIP service and it is reliable when the "ATA" isn't interupting it.
·Anveo
·Shaw
I empathize with the reviewer because my introduction to VoIP was almost identical to this story. I signed my company up with a VoIP provider that advertised I could plug a couple of ATAs in and be up and running in minutes with no real knowledge of the technology. Needless to say, it didn't go quite that well.

said by topgun:

As far as VoIP taking 50% of your throughput that just is not possible!

It's absolutely possible if the router isn't configured properly or not powerful enough to handle the load of other internet traffic. If he has a 30/6 internet connection, the latter is very possible.

I agree with some of your points, but I don't think operator error is entirely to blame. For example, it shouldn't take "weeks" to diagnose and replace defective hardware.

said by topgun:

Your assumption that they were trying to save a few bucks may not be correct. Maybe they were after additional features. For example, my VoIP system can do things that no POTS provider can at any price.

To be honest

Why do you say that? Were you not being honest before?

Re: Very Misleading Review

said by Mango:

said by topgun:

As far as VoIP taking 50% of your throughput that just is not possible!

To be honest

Why do you say that? Were you not being honest before?

Well, there is a thing called Google...anyone that blindly signs their company up for something they know nothing about is possibly setting themselves up for problems. When problems arise should they b#$h about it? I have PhonePower, I have had hiccups, do I b#$h about it NO because I did my due deligance first.

Whether it be for price or for features it is the same difference the OP should have been better prepared. "to be honest" is a figure of speech.

Clarification

The Edgemarc 4500 that zjhodson is referring to does reserve bandwidth for the VoIP service. The settings are based on the specifications of the connection. For instance if you have a 10Mbps down and 5Mpbs up connection those values need to be configured in the Edgemarc. If it is configured out of spec of your connection the Edgemarc won't reserve bandwidth for VoIP.

Things like remote access programs, file uploading and other services that stream bandwidth can eat into your bandwidth and cause the Edgemarc to downgrade other traffic as it is reserving bandwidth for the VOIP service.

2 edits

said by PhonePwrTech:

Thanks for the Clarification PPT I knew there was more to this story then meets the eye.

»youtu.be/tNyU6KTpP2I

How so?

The OP has some professional IT background, and seems to have had a poor experience with PP.

Nothing in the PP comments refutes that.

As for beta testing, huh?

Should setting up an office for simple VoIP require prolonged and intensive beta? Really?

And the OP said:

I find the OP compelling, the company response incomplete, and your support for the company in THIS case premature.

I have often supported PhonePower before, but I certainly DO agree that there is more here than meets the eye, in which case it is wrong to dismiss the OP out of hand as you did.

said by PX Eliezer7:

How so?

Nothing in the PP comments refutes that.

As for beta testing, huh?

And the OP said:

I'm not totally dismissing the OP PX. Part of his problems do seem to stem from bad hardware originally. However, OP complains about internet speeds but someone that is not tech savy enough to know about VoIp, QOS, should not be tasked with setting up a VoIp router.

Never said prolong BETA but cut me some slack PX almost everyone I know who switched from PP left their landline on for at least a week to see how things went first. I never ever setup someone with PhonePower without letting them try it at first.

Actually, I kind of feel bad for the OP. His heart was in the right place trying to help the company out. However I think his ambitions got the best of him and bit off a lil more then he could chew?
·Anveo
·Shaw

said by topgun:

Tell that to the thousands of Vonage customers. I have never met a Vonage customer who knows what QoS is. All of them are delighted with their service.

(Note: This is NOT an endorsement for Vonage; I'm simply stating an alternate point of view.)

said by Mango:

said by topgun:

Do Vonage customers use business edge routes? Do you just skim my posts "should not be tasked with setting up a VoIp router".

1 recommendation

said by topgun:

I think that we all agree on that.

Thanks for your detailed replies.

1 recommendation

Very true

Further Clarification

This reviewer doesn't have a normal account by any means. It was a custom build with call flows that don't fit in our normal business product. This is far from a residential setup where you plug in an ATA. There are IP phones that then need to connect to the Edgemarc. Our business product requires the Edgemarc to insure that the VoIP traffic isn't mangled or miss routed by a router that doesn't have an ALG in it.

Re: Further Clarification

said by PhonePwrTech:

Exactly the point I was trying to make to Mango! There is a big difference between plugging a few cables and setting up simple PF, QOS, DMZ etc. over setting up a business VoIp network.

First you have to address these questions:
»www.voipreview.org/small_busines···ess_voip

Then you have to order the phones\program them, run the cables, setup the mailboxes, setup up call flow\ques, train the end users. It is just so much fun...

Review by Sr Tech See Profile

• Location: New Fairfield,Fairfield,CT
Good "Found Cheaper service"
Bad "ETF Fee's"

Been a customer since they started, ported my number to anther service due to money constraints. I was forced to pay a ETF fee for canceling the service.

Comments:
PX Eliezer7

Rating

Because you gave scores of zero (0) in each category such as Call Quality, and Reliability, this has the effect of really flaming them.

Was this inadvertent? If so, perhaps you would assign scores to areas such as Call Quality and Reliability?

If you gave them scores of zero across the board on purpose, that undermines your position and makes this a revenge review.

---------------------------

PhonePower offers monthly plans, and they offer long-term plans at lower prices.

Naturally there will be an ETF if you cancel a longer-term plan.
DSM Fan

join:2010-10-04
Covina, CA

Revenge Revenge

I loves the internet. So you really rate

Ease of Installation:0
Call Quality:0
Reliability:0
Tech Support:0

Due to a contract issue?

2 edits

If all else fails blame the company

The only BS is that up think you could sign a contract w\lower monthly fee and not pay an ETF. Seriously, I'm sure you have had a cellphone with Verizon, AT&T, etc. you signed up for x amount of years and got a free or discounted phone. Did you ever try to back out without paying an ETF.

Terms of Service:
You must read and agree to the statement to the right to proceed with your Order
I agree that this online order will be considered a binding contract between xxx and Phone Power LLC and I agree to all the Terms and Conditions. If applicable, I am authorizing Phone Power LLC to transfer an existing number from my current provider.

This is the screen you get in stop 5 ^ just because you were to much in a rush to read does not mean you can use ignorance as an excuse.

Really; lets have our client sign a contract, give them a low rate by signing this contact, hope the stick around for the duration, if they don't no big deal, their word is good and hell just like laws there should be no repercussions for breaking the contact.

Was I speeding officer, I'm sorry that is BS I should not have a fine, that was not stated on the paperwork when I applied for my license !