Callcentric page on DSLReports

Review by XANAVirus See Profile

• Location: Lavalette,Wayne,WV
Good "Very reliable, with a good set of features and great call quality. Awesome support."
Bad "No current problems."
Overall "Stable, good feature set, call quality excellent, support fantastic. Recommended!"

I'm updating my review since it is rather out-of-date.

As of today, Callcentric continues to be my number one choice of provider for VoIP service. I still haven't yet moved my main phone-line or family business lines to them yet but am positive that will be in our future.

When I established service, I also purchased a Linksys PAP2T-NA, and have continuously used that device throughout the entirety of my service.
Now though, I expanded my use of service by installing Android program Zoiper and purchasing a server to run at home and installing Asterisk there, all of which has been working fantastically even over +100ms latency VPN connections.

Call quality remains as stable as ever, no dropouts or missed packets; no out-of-order packets and voice is instantaneous to hear and be heard.
Outgoing calls work as great and cheap as they always have, being less than 2 cents a minute under my Pay-per-Call plan. My service costs between $3 to $5 a month, which a $40 one time charge will pay for two years of service.

I get an email every couple of years to remind me to refill my account, and then after that I don't even have to think about it. There are no taxes or fees so I pay exactly what the service costs me in usage and nothing more.

Incoming calls work great, and now that I have fixed an issue I was having (more on that a little further down), they are good quality with no dropouts or missed calls. I pay for one DID, which is the cheapest $1.95 plan available, and get one free iNum DID (free because iNum numbers are always free, not because of any promo).

From the completely free NY-only DID to my paid DID, the only time I've had a missed call is when my own service goes down and no fault of Callcentric to deliver its promises. I signed up before the free NY DID came about so I never had one, but I hear it works just as good as a paid DID.

Set up of my Linksys PAP2T-NA was flawless, but as I am one of those who loves to set settings I did have some problems in the beginning though those are all gone. A few months I bought myself a server to run several virtual machines on, one of which is my new Asterisk PBX.

Callcentric includes on their website great how-tos for a variety of products including the complex PBX I am currently using. The rest of the website is snappy and there are no broken pages - even the somewhat-hidden directory you can be listed in works.

Regarding their support services, they are absolutely fantastic.
Having been with them for two years now, every single trouble ticket I've opened with them has reached a satisfactory resolution: I have not had one ticket where it was improperly closed.
I also have not had one ticket that involved multiple 'possible' solutions either; every ticket had one resolution that definitely worked.

Their response time is often mentioned being at 30 minutes or sometimes slightly less, even during weekend hours.
I concur with this, I have opened tickets at odd hours or late at night and have had a resolved ticket (not just a response, but a working solution) by the next morning or early evening.

Even for debugging my PBX configuration, they show an understanding of the question far better than that showed by a hypothetical phone support, and you would not expect that year-over-year consistency for trouble-ticket support.

My most recent trouble was that I was completely unable to get incoming calls to be picked up so we could talk - I could see the calls but not answer as I would hear no sound and then hang up. I opened a ticket since I could find no issue with my config; the first thing they asked was for times and dates of the non-working calls.

I provided the info and then they actually showed me a trace of the specific incoming call (having been a few days before the ticket was opened) and then showed me the actual traffic being sent by my PBX - normally invisible unless you run Wireshark or similar software that I hadn't even thought to try yet.
Shortly, they diagnosed that I was sending an extra header that didn't need to be sent and thus my calls were being dropped as I answered them.

What the clincher was that they provided a resolution of 'edit X config and add these certain Y lines here at Z point, then reload' and when I did that it actually solved the problem (and I only submitted the ticket that early evening too, and an answer was had by nighttime the same day).

They even stated they were extremely confident that my issue was with this one header being sent and nothing else, and that if their solution possibly didn't work they offered to look at my specific configuration for me. (As for me, I was all ready to remove my whole configuration and start from scratch.)

In short, I had a complete resolution one hour after submission and it was extremely confident that the solution was the right one, even though the problem was not understandable unless you bothered to capture and read everything that the two servers said in conversation.

I've always been happy with the level of support, even though they don't provide phone support. They do have email support, and I'm sure it's just as good as the website support, but everyone I know and myself probably all use the website anyway.

All-in-all, I definitely believe I made the best choice out of all the most-reviewed and most-discussed providers out there. I'm not disappointed in any of it, and believe most others would agree that it has been worth it.

member for 2.4 years, 728 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

"From Order to Live"

I don't know what that means.

The 90 days I inputted meant that I have been using it for 90 days.
Is this what it means?

Yes, I've been using Callcentric for 90 days now.

EDIT: I changed a part of my review having now figured out what that means.
RogerD

join:2008-07-15
Sunnyvale, CA
·Callcentric

Communication companies should know how to communicate!

Having been in the business, I know redundant data centers are tough to maintain, especially when you talk about webservers and PTSN connections.

I found the Twitter feed to be frustrating as I get different responses when I'm logged in and when I'm not. Actually more tweets for @CallCentric appeared when I was NOT logged in!

Having a redundant website that could at least inform users there is an issue and some means of intercepting inbound calls with an announcement the service was down would have been a lot better than nothing at all.

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

1 recommendation

Re: Communication companies should know how to communicate!

Why would having a redundant website that could inform people about issues and having calls intercepted telling you the service is offline be better than nothing at all?

Technically, it's still nothing since it does not accomplish anything - it does not lead to a solution.

It's simply a placebo effect, that makes you feel that they're doing something.

The reality is that if the service hadn't been down such a website and redirection would be unneeded.

Please, explain to me your need for the previously mentioned things.

Thanks for the update.

I agree... CallCentric does a fine job of completing calls at a reasonable price.

There's other very tempting offers out there particularly from upstarts.

Although not the cheapest, CallCentric is very affordable, and among the cleanest setups I've seen for a BYOD.

Despite a few very tempting offers, I've kept my office, and many other clients offices and homes with CallCentric.

Review by Frazdalo See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Simple to use"
Bad "Way behind in features"
Overall "A Not Bad, Kind Of Expensive Service"

Callcentric is 'conservative' in how quickly it adds features. This conservatism may be due to the fact that the reportedly good-quality equipment it uses is difficult to 're-program'.

Whatever the reason, cc is way behind Anveo and Voip.ms in flexibility. They run rings around it as far as a customer being able to route calls precisely as he wants.

Cc also has a problem with some Canadian toll free numbers. That is not their fault as I understand it, but it is still a problem for anybody using cc who wants to call those numbers.

Maybe if their equipment allowed a secondary server to be set up in Canada, the problem would not exist; and they would have a backup in case something unpleasant happened to their servers in New York.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland

To each his own....

You compare CC to Voip.MS and Anveo, in fact all 3 are good companies (although I think that CC is outstanding in quality, service, and usability).

[I'd honestly like to have tried Anveo, but their rate plans and everything else about them are so complex that it takes Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" to figure some of it out. I am far from the first person to have felt that way.]

Regarding Voip.MS, one big thing that Voip.MS has that CC does not is IVR, although I suspect that CC is working on that. Kudos to Voip.MS for having that.

Previously CC did not have subaccounts, but they definitely have those now (which CC calls extensions).

On the other hand, CC has things that Voip.MS does not, such as outbound calling bundles, easy inbound Telemarketer Block, a very easy to use phone book which includes the ability to apply Call Treatments to whole categories of numbers, and 1+ call confirmation for calls forwarded to cell phones (some customers have been wanting that one for a long time).

Additional things that CC has that Voip.MS does not include auto-recharge on account balances (with customizable security settings), IP address whitelisting for your ATA or IP phones, and others.

There's no doubt that Voip.MS has some cost advantage for PAYG outbound calling especially for the Canadian market. However inbound plans (both PAYG and flat-rate) are pretty comparable. CC also provides various free services and is extremely user-friendly with regard to free SIP URI calling worldwide with their IP Freedom account.

Regarding issues calling toll-free numbers, this is not limited to one VoIP company. I can show you reports of customers of various companies having such issues.

CallCentric is based in New York as you say. But Voip.MS is largely staffed out of Merida, Mexico (in the Yucatán peninsula) under the name Intercan Holdings SA de CV.

Again, all the companies you mentioned have their unique attributes.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
join:2009-06-21
Planet Earth

Re: To each his own....

said by PX Eliezer:

I have to disagree with that. Anveo is so easy to set up and use, it's almost boring.

That also applies to Callcentric, no challenge at all.

Both are extremely stable and reliable with a very high quality.
My VoIP News
myvoipnews@secure.mailbox.org

Review by Ole Juul See Profile

• Location: Coalmont,BC
Good "Sound and service"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "I've got first class telephone service"

While researching about how to get a free phone number and what device and service to buy, this forum kept coming up in my results. I quickly became clear that Callcentric had a good reputation and was generally recommended by people here, who I could tell were mostly very knowledgeable about VoIP. Reading around some more, it also became clear that the PAP2 was an old reliable standby. So, I went to the Callcentric site and signed up for a free number. That cost nothing. Then I went on eBay and ordered a PAP2 for $24 including shipping. I got the genuine device, but see note below. It arrived about three weeks later.

In the meanwhile, I was trying to set up my e911 address on Callcentric. I was so green that I didn't yet realize that I had to purchase an outgoing service before that would be relevant, so it would not work on the web site yet. I opened a trouble ticket to sort it out, and within a short while got a response saying that they had put in the address by hand and all should be good now. I still hadn't paid them a penny! I thought that was pretty good service for free. Anyway, my ATA eventually arrived, and all I had to do was pick the appropriate device on the Callcentric device support page and fill in the corresponding fields on the PAP2. To my utter delight, less that fifteen minutes later I could make a call. I still remember the feeling of excitement when I first herd the dial tone on the phone I had plugged in. My first VoIP dial tone!

The reason I wanted a free number was basically so that I could check out VoIP and see what it could do for me, as well as (hopefully) have a number in my name. I'm currently not the account holder of the landline in this house. After a little while it became clear that the sound and reliability of my Callcentric phone was as good, or better than, my landline. In fact my landline has had several years of background noise and poor sound quality, as well as some weeks out of service here and there. I am extremely pleased that for me VoIP is superior. Before trying it, I had no faith that it would be much good because I am on a rural wireless connection.

Having not yet seen even the slightest glitch, I then purchased a DID (phone number) in the city of my choice. Now I have the "pay per call" plan which charges me just under 2 cents per minute within North America and most of western Europe. A little arithmetic made it clear that no incumbent Telco offers anything near that. With the landline, if you don't make a single call, you still get a big bill - you do the math. Anyway, the DID costs me $5.95 per month, and the mandatory e911 charge is $1.50. Total $7.45 with as yet an unknown amount of minutes. We'll see how it goes. I don't have a reason to use this very much yet (the landline isn't going away) but all out-of-town calls are going to be cheaper so I will be using it more and more. I calculate that if this replaced the landline, it would cost around $15 to $20 per month. Callcentric however, does not provide numbers in my area, and so those poor souls who have to pay extra for calling that mythical "long distance" because they have POTS accounts, would not like it. This is absolutely no problem for my goal of having a second number in my own name. For city folks in North America, Callcentric probably does have a local number for you.

The experience has been very positive. Callcentric service is very good, so I expect that any problem I could possibly have in the future will get sorted out in a timely manner. The sound and reliability has also been flawless - and I'm in Canada and on the opposite coast from them too. Perhaps someone less adventurous than me will not like all the options that Callcentric offers, but I can tell you that the setup is quick and easy. There is no need to do anything after that in order to keep the service going - except of course, pay for it.

In case anybody is interested, here is what I now have set up with them.

1/ One phone number as my regular, personal, number. It rings a phone by my computer for 20 seconds, if I don't get it, it then rings the landline and I can get it on any of the phones in the house.

2/ One free phone number. That rings for 30 seconds, then goes to voice mail. I use that one for official places where I don't really want to talk with them, but want to know if they called. (eg. WHOIS records)

3/ One other free phone number. That goes directly to voice mail, so someone can leave a message night or day, and I will see the light blinking on the phone when I get there.

I would like to point out that there are a lot of free services from CC. Basically, they don't charge for anything other than making calls. They also don't have "bundles" and "plans" and "marketing games" and things to obscure the real value and price. What you see is what you get. I'd also like to point out that this forum is a tremendous resource, and that people here know a lot about CC, and that CC also has a presence here. You can't go wrong.

PS: If someone wants a PAP2, please do a web search to figure out how to get the genuine device. I suspect though, that it is getting a bit old and that there are probably better choices out there for only a few more dollars.

PPS: I am new to VoIP, so I cannot compare related services. That is why I had to vote CC "best" in all categories. I would have uses a lower rating if there had been any problem or fault in any way, but there hasn't been after a month and a half. I can only say that in my case, the sound quality, support, and reliability, is superior to the POTS service offered in my area.

UPDATE:

It's been a year now and I'm still happy with Callcentric. In that time there have been a few minor glitches though. One is that a couple of calls have been a little garbled, though not to the point where they were not comprehensible. I understand that this is likely from cell phone connections which are prone to this, but mention it so as to be truthful and remind readers that it's not a perfect world. Apart from those very few flawed calls, the rest have been high quality. Another problem has been with CNAM. I like to have recipients of my calls see my name on their display. Apparently there can be a problem with protocol compatibility between US and Canadian providers. In any case, Callcentric was able to fix the problem when I pointed it out.

Also, I've since added a second number. Originally I had a free NY number in addition to my paid DID. When I lost it due to my negligence in maintaining it, CC simply gave me the same number back when I requested it. Anyway, I decided that I didn't want that to happen again and was happy that they could convert that number to a Pay Per Minute account which is only $1.95/mo.

One thing I would note at this point, is that the few interactions with them that I've had so far have been very good. I am particularly impressed with their ability to read all of my writing and respond to all of it clearly. To some this may seem obvious, but I've noticed that not all support has this high level of linguistic understanding.

member for 1.2 years, 495 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Iscream
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

Please check again CC coverage of Canada soon

Thank you for the exciting and detailed feedback!

Regarding your local [rural] coverage - please check in again within a few days (literally). Callcentric will be greatly expanding its coverage of Canadian rural and northern territories. I have good basis to believe that your local village will be covered too.

Speaking of PAP2 - it's sure a good device, but unfortunately, Cisco has dropped its support of PAP2 many years ago. The firmware lacks many important features compared to newer devices (T.38 fax support is one of them, but there are many more related to registration and stability).

On another hand - even a genuine, OEM hardware gets older even when not in use, totally new, while waiting on shelves to be sold.

Electronic equipment may go out of order without regard of being used or not (on occasions - especially, when was not used at all) - because printed boards may have hidden tensions which may break tiny soldered connections, electrolytic capacitors get dry thus lose their characteristics, etc. As of today - PAP2 is 10 years old device. It used to be a great device, but today it often causes "unexpected" jokes to its owners. It may lose registration by itself. It may drop a call in the middle. It may induce static to conversations. A power cycling may help, but not for long.

I'm aware of 100s cases when [aging] PAP2 was a cause of major frustrations for its owners (including myself). It may even be a cause of changing service provider with negative feelings toward former one. My recommendation - when/if time and budget permit, please get something newer.

B/w - the same disclaimer goes toward another great legacy device - Grandstream's HTx86/HTx87. Just beware.

Thank you!

Review by rsriram22 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "free NY DIDs/iNums"
Bad "no option to set outbound caller id for 911 calls (even if the account has single DID)"
Overall "pretty good - feature rich"

Jul 8 2014: Although I moved away from CC, I still am with them - I use their calltreatments/extensions/address book features. Key advantages:

1) Although I have my DID with F9 currently and I fwd all of my calls to CC because of the addressbook CNAM feature at CC.
2) Extensions: I use it to connect to two remote SIP server(s).
3) Call treatments: Beautiful, beautiful feature - I monitor/create rules when I can receive calls and how I can block callers.. Great, great feature that is *still* free unlike other providers..

finally, bumping up the reliability to best as CC has become my incoming provider (sort of) and I have not had any problem in the last couple of months...
(I must add that I do not use any of their paid services-- just use their feature rich portal/backend)....

Wish they offered the ability to send my own CID for 911 calls and I might switch back to them..

Edit Nov 6 2012: graded reliability to worst and the system was down for almost 2 days (due to hurricane sandy).

I chose CC over localphone/anveo as CC is the only provider that would "port-in" my home #. localphone/anveo/GV said they couldn't get my number ported to them.

Everything was fine until i realized that CC doesn't send a callerID of my choice to 911. There are other reasons why a hidden id is sent, but this is not what i was expecting and this was one of the important feature(s) I was looking for so that 911 can see my 'smart911.com' info if one of my validated phone numbers goes to them. It seems I can either port my number to VOIP.ms and pay a $ more/month (6.95 vs 5.95 at CC) to have this feature and a ~3000min incoming plan (or) i disable E911 on CC and opt for gv911. Will wait for few more days before i make a call on this..

other than that, it's been great for the last month or so that I have been with CC (moved from Vonage)

Not worried much with the DDos stuff as it could happen to any provider )and obi folks are coming up with an f/w upgrade to 'fix' the 'SRV' issue at their end..

member for 7.9 years, 197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Iscream
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

E911 logic

This [911] topic has just come to my attention.

Fortunately, for most people, the logic used by Emergency Response Centers' systems is NOT as you _want_ it, but rather according to FCC developed and industry standard way.

The ECRC doesn't respond to "your verified or trusted number" - they respond (when dialing back) to a number sent to them as your currently active line. This is called ANI - automatic number identification. For E911 purposes are most often used so called pANI or pseudo-ANI - temporary numbers used for _only_this_call_ purpose and ONLY while the phone is within a certain location or/and environment. The pANI is registered within a special database prior calls to 911 Emergency operators may be serviced. Then, whenever a 911 number is dialed and the call received by an emergency calls serving operator - they query the database for your pANI and then send it along the call to an actual (your local) Emergency Center.

Answering your "would be" concern about your wish to have your own "verified and trusted" E911 number - what if tomorrow your "verified" number were dropped, unassigned or otherwise become UNAVAILABLE when some minor or someone who is NOT familiar with your setup dials the emergency line (911)? Who will then be liable for possible returned call's failure?

This is why FCC doesn't allow any manual setup or some free-regulation-interpretations or any opt-out-911 of anyone who falls under their definition of obligatory 911 service. Therefore Callcentric has implemented its 911 emergency dialing in this way - to avoid any possible failure of call being served not according to algorithms defined by the industry - the returned call (if any) is _always_ routed to the same phone (number - pANI) which was used to originate that initial 911 call.

I'm apologizing for your inconvenience and definitely understand that you may move (or already have done so) to any other operator who have "freely" interpreted regulations (there are plenty of such in this overcrowded market including those who consider/interpret the 911 service as not obligatory thus allowing opting-out of it).
rsriram22

join:2006-08-14
Lexington, KY
·Future Nine Corp..
·Vonage
·Insight Communic..

Re: E911 logic

really appreciate your explanation, @iscream.

i must admit that i learned a lot about VOIP in the last 2+ months or so ever since I discontinued my vonage service..

it's been a while since i moved to a provider who'd send a CID of my choice as i wanted to make use of smart911 feature (my town is one of the very few that supports this initiative, at least for now)..

thanks again for your response..

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Good features, good pricing, good support, works great!"
Overall "Excellent product for those wish to provide their own ATA/SoftPhone."

·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
7/8/14--- Just posting my 6 month update. Nothing has changed. I continue to experience rock stable performance with a good feature set.

I am still hoping for Texting capability and would also find it useful to be able to upload personalized Recordings which I could assign as focused greetings/messages for incoming calls based on CallerID.

1/1/14---

I continue to enjoy the CC offering ... with rock stable performance.

1) Good choice of plans with no extra charges except for the PAYG plan's E911 service (and sales tax on all plans for those showing a New York billing address).

2) Even easier site negotiation since the website up-spiff.

3) Excellent feature set (although, for my personal needs, I am still awaiting availability of SMS Texting).

4) Excellent tutorials on the website to help newbies setup an iPhone, SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

5) Excellent call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from one's cable modem to the ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

6) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

7) Awesome tech support via my occasional Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

8) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

7/9/13---

CC continues to be among the best of the best ... especially with the recent additions (e.g., sub-accounts) to its service. The website is one of the easiest to negotiate. The day to day service is rock solid. I'm eagerly awaiting an SMS texting feature. (Not everyone wants or uses SMS over VoIP ... but I do.)

11/30/12---

Wow!!! CC has been through hell ... and back ... back with a vengeance. The recent double-trouble events ... overwhelming DDoS attacks almost immediately admixed with the devastating results of Hurricane Sandy ... created chaos and a bit of doubt (and hand wringing) among some of CC's users (and posters in the BBR Forums). However, CC has come through with flying colors ... including a very comprehensive albeit highly technical diary of events and responses to these events posted by Iscream (a CC insider).

All aspects of CallCentric's VoIP product and service continue to shine.

5/25/12---

Semi-annual update: CC continue to deserve its position at the top of the review list ... continuing to provide excellent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

11/27/11---

Time for a semi-annual update to report that my appraisal of the CC product and service continues to score 100% across the board.

4/29/11---

CC has continues to maintain its position at the top of the review list. It certainly deserves that rating ... continuing to provide magnificent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

1/30/11 ---

Quick update ... maintaining by ongoing ratings across the board. A host of new and improved features have recently been implemented by CC.

12/15/10 ---

End of year update: CallCentric continues to perform perfectly in all areas ... as one of my two PAYG providers*. I've not experienced a single hiccough since early 2009 (an incoming fax issue that apparently affected all customers and the problem was fixed in under two hours).

Although my monthly costs are a tad higher than my other PAYG provider, I am still getting full value. I maintain a CC account (and the "other" PAYG service) on each of my several 2-line PAP2T-NAs at various locations ... essentially protecting against server or connection downtime not to mention a catastrophic event (i.e., bankruptcy ala SunRocket).

If I were forced to select my choice for the most fiscally stable VoIP provider that will survive well into the future, it would have to be CC ... by a gnat's whisker over a few others.

* Note: I do have other barely used PAYG providers ... but these are just for fun and experimentation.

3/28/2010 ---

This update is sort of mandated by my recent updates to (and an addtion of) my three other main VoIP providers. I continue to delight in every aspect of the CallCentric product offering ... reliability, quality, support, features and value. Nothing has changed. There may be a feature or two that might be required by others ... but my needs are being met.

12/31/2009 ---

End of year update. I've not had a single issue since my last update, still using multiple CC accounts for a variety of end uses.

3/5/2009 ---

CallCentric continues to work perfectly ... and amaze me. I recently ported in a DID to an additional CC account (one of several), this one specifically for use as a dedicated incoming fax line which delivers faxes as email attachments. I found that wrong numbers or hang-ups to my fax-DID resulted in an automated email sent with an essentially empty attachment. This was annoying because, with my BlackBerry, I needed to open the email and then click thru to see the faxed attachment ... a waste of time when the fax document was blank.

On the urging of another BBR poster around dinnertime today, I opened a ticket with CC's support people. Within 9 ... yes 9 ... minutes I received an initial response reporting that they were able to duplicate/confirm the "problem" ... and 1 hour 22 minutes later I received a follow-up message indicating the problem has been rectified.

06/17/2008 ---

This is my first review of the CallCentric offering -- even though I've had three accounts at three different locations for well over 6 months. Here's my take on each of the rated categories:

1) Easy to negotiate website --- with all the bells and whistles seen with more expensive providers.

2) Excellent tutorials on the website to help noobies setup SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

3) Good call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from my cablemodem to my ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

4) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

5) Awesome tech support via Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

6) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

By the way, CC has made it very easy to port numbers in --- although they do charge a one-time $25 fee.

Lastly, CC is the only one of the many providers to whom I subscribe that works flawlessly with my PAP2T-NA and Comcast Cablemodem in my Boca Raton FL home.

member for 8.8 years, 3370 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

·Clear Wireless

What it does.... it does quite well.

We could argue that there are providers that do more and or cost less.... but CallCentric's prices are competitive, and the setup is pretty cut and dry. It works well for many client's home and small office needs.

Post hurricane, CallCentric has had a very good run.

Review by PX Eliezer See Profile

• Location: Outland
Good "Great reliability, usability, flexibility, quality, and value."
Bad "IVR in development, will be a welcome addition."
Overall "Nobody does it better...."

·callwithus
I've been using CallCentric for both my home and business for several years.

The darn thing just works, I never have to think about it.

It is very easy to set up, has great customer support, highly usable website with extensive documentation, excellent billing software, and good customer security.

I use one line with their inbound fax server, and that works well too.

Security measures include (among others) the ability to enable/disable outbound calls by country (they were first with that), and the option of IP address whitelist verification for your equipment.

There is a wide variety of inbound and outbound calling options (chosen individually) including both flat-rate and PAYG plans each way. Free unlimited DID's are even available for metro NY areas.

There are no extra fees other than NY sales tax for NY residents, and 911 fee (but with a flat-rate outbound calling plan 911 is bundled in)

Extensive support is provided for SIP URI calling, iNum, and SipBroker.

Call Treatments are easy to use and very flexible.

One limiting factor had been the lack of subaccounts, but CallCentric introduced this functionality (which they call Extensions) in May 2013. This will be useful for many subscribers. Multiple mailboxes per account also available.

CallCentric has extensive switches and interconnect facilities which they own and manage, based in New York. That's why they are so good and so reliable over the long term. However, this did lead to a series of events which caused 2 days of failure in the 2012 Hurricane Sandy disaster as multiple backup measures did not work. There are some customers who prefer good providers with multi-city remote servers instead, and certainly those customers will likely choose such providers.

My experience with CallCentric has been excellent and I highly recommend them.

member for 1.3 years, 845 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

I'm Happy Too

I almost think the review is a bit too glowing.

CC's had a great run post hurricane. I see many tech help posts on this board, and very few for CC... Post hurricane that is.

I think CC is on the right track and I hope their new features serve everyone well.
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland

Re: I'm Happy Too

said by VexorgTR:

I hope so too, and in any large service upgrade there are bound to be some gremlins. So I'll anticipate that in advance. If there are a couple of rough days---I say if---that would be worth it.

And---in the same sense that Han Solo said "He's only a wookie", I would of course acknowledge, "It's only VoIP".

But I depend on these guys to keep my wife happy at home, and to keep everything running at my office. I also depend on them for me to be able to receive some very crucial family phone calls.

And they don't let me down.

Review by Goggan See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "So far so good"
Bad "So far so good"
Overall "So far so good"

I switched to Callcentric because I rarely see it mentioned here as having a problem and because the reviews of it are almost always favourable, and because it has a good number of bells and whistles.

It is a bit expensive compared to others, but that is ok if they can deliver good results.

It was a bit disappointing to have two outgoing calls drop, but other than those glitches, the service has been good. The one question I asked support was answered quickly and pertinently.

Two features I like are the 'Enter 1' to stop robo-calls, and the answer confirmation when doing a simultaneous ring to a cellphone. For the first time, I can use the cellphone as if its number is that of my home phone.

Comments:

Review by mrdialup See Profile

• Location: Churchville,Harford,MD
Good "Best Value For The Money - From Penny Pincher to Spend Thrift"
Bad "No online fax transmission :("
Overall "My first service provider for VOIP and it was the right choice."

I've tried a good many VOIP providers and Callcentric remains my favorite. From really good reliability to great tech support to a generous offering of free services I have no complaints at all about them. My favorite features: 1) HD Voice 2)Multiple extensions on one account 3) Online fax receipt 4) DID's from about every exchange you want and 5) Reasonable pricing. Not that CC's competitors are shabby, it's just for me they have the perfect mix of features, expand ability and costs of anyone else I have tried.

Comments:

Review by srinigar See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Works pretty reliably"
Bad "Eggs in one basket servers, can-do-no-wrong attitude of company (and fans), klunky interface."
Overall "A backup? Sure. A primary provider? Not likely. Not a Prime Time Vosp"

Update April 20 2014
What takes one 'Time Condition' using Voip.Ms, takes 8 call treatments using Callcentric:
One to whitelist friends and family
Seven to prompt caller to enter a digit (to block telemarketers), i.e. one for each day of the week. This would be from, say, 7am to 6:59pm each day.
One to send callers to voicemail between 7pm and 6:59am.

There is no IVR, so I cannot route calls in a fine-grained way; for example, I cannot give out extension numbers to temporarily let certain people through in the evening who would normally go to voicemail; I cannot give certain callers a voice menu to direct their calls, etc.

So for what I want in a voip provider, this one is not good enough. It seems reliable, so I keep it handy as a backup, but they have a way to go to be taken seriously by me, and I am just an average user.

And they still have no intention, it appears, of setting up geographically dispersed servers.

From what I have read here, the equipment they use, while good, is not made for flexibility; maybe they have painted themselves into a corner and have to move at a crawling pace in regard to putting in things like an IVR or additional physically dispersed servers.

Eventually they will catch up with Voip.Ms and others, but in the meantime, why use them unless you want only basic service?

Update June 22 2013
CC is getting better, having added sub-accounts; and I hear they
are adding a generator (though if they are connected to the same
circuit as the nyse, why do they need it?).

And it seems like an IVR is on the way.

Good news, good for CC!

=-=-=-=-=

Update December 21
Callcentric has worked well for me these past weeks so I wanted to give them a bump from the low rating in the earlier review. If I ignore the partisans and concentrate on the sound and apparent reliability, and forget about them having their servers in one place, it's not a bad voip service provider.

=-=-=-=-=
Along with a couple of other voip companies, I use callcentric as a backup for calling out or for fowarding my DID to.

I have rarely had to use it but it is good to keep a few dollars in these secondary outfits, just in case.

Would I ever use it as the primary provider? No way, not until they get their act together and have some kind of geographically dispersed server setup. And not until they have something better than a grade-school level call-flow setup.

Their arrogance and shortsightedness in having all their equipment in one place is mind-boggling. The gall of their (name removed) rep, who said people who complained about this were ignorant, and the truly unpleasant chorus of True Believers who seem to believe that their heroic vosp can do no wrong, make me want to stay away from them or at most keep them as a last resort provider.

Comments:
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

OK, so....

So I can see why in your opinion you would give low scores for reliability and such. I disagree, but I could understand.

But why low scores for Website, Ease of Installation, and a very low 25 percent for Call Quality??

That tells everyone what this is really about.

As for True Believers, there is usually a good reason if so many people are so loyal. That does not come out of thin air, unlike so many other things.
srinigar

join:2012-11-13

So What?

said by PX Eliezer7:

That tells everyone what this is really about.

All it tells anyone is that the reviewer, me, is concerned simply with giving an overall score. I don't usually care about the bits that make up a score and my guess is that most others don't either. The scoring system here is inadequate, not that I can suggest anything better.
Expand your moderator at work
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Re: So What?

Thank you for explaining the reasons for your score.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Google Voice
·magicjack.com

Things are improving

They seem to have learned from at least some of the mistakes and new features and improvements are coming too.
" ...and the truly unpleasant chorus of True Believers who seem to believe that their heroic vosp can do no wrong,... "

That's so true. Feels like Soviet Union.

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Excellent handling of incoming calls"
Overall "Gold standard of Voip"

·RCN CABLE
·callwithus
NYC Aug 2012. This is a review of Callcentric (CC). CC's handling of incoming calls is terrific.

I have a PSTN phone but I have turned off the ringer and told everybody to call me on the CC phone. I have one of CC's free 646 NY area code DID's for all incoming calls. I have a second Voip phone with a Callwithus (CWU) account but it does not receive incoming calls.

I am happy with CC's reliability, technical support etc but what I like best is their "Call Treatments", a sophisticated facility which gives me full control to determine how an incoming call is treated. My PSTN provider could also provide these features but some features would each cost about $4 per month. With Call Treatments I have allowed friends listed in my CC phone book to call me. In the phone book I can associate a name with the number so when they do call, the system identifies the person's name. But everybody else gets a busy signal and the house is so peaceful without annoying calls from telemarketers. If the CC phone is not working, say an internet or power outage, then the call goes to voicemail. A call treatment ensures that no phones ring on the weekend.

My favorite call treatment is call forward busy line. When I am on a call with one person, then if somebody else calls at the same time the new call is Sip forwarded from the CC phone to the CWU phone. But this feature can only work so long as the phone with the call treatment is registered with CC.

I have three phones enabled to make outgoing calls; a PSTN phone and two Voip phones. One Voip phone is registered with CC and the other Voip phone is registered with CWU. Generally I use my PSTN phone for my outgoing calls and I do not make many outgoing Voip calls. CC charge 2 cents per minute for outgoing calls PAYG. CWU, however, charge only 1 cent per minute. The quality of outgoing CC calls and CWU calls are both good. With permission of my wife I may discontinue the PSTN phone and then I will think about switching to CC's North America 500. This plan costs $7 per month for 500 minutes and it includes 911 coverage. But I will still keep CWU service as backup.

So long as I have my PSTN phone I don't want or need 911 service from a Voip phone. Obviously CC have to abide by FCC regulations. But they are fastidious about 911 coverage even though they make no profit out of this. CWU, however, flatly do not provide 911 coverage.

I urge anybody new to Voip to check out CC. You can try out their Freedom plan which allows free calls to people within the CC network. If you have a relative overseas then you can both sign up to a free CC account and make free calls to each other. With two years' experience I can only repeat, which other DSLR reviewers say, that CC is the gold standard of Voip.

Dec 7 2012. Back to normal after DDOS attacks and Hurricane Sandy.

May 10 2013. Since Sandy, Callcentric service has been solid. They recently added sub accounts or extensions. Many DSLR readers have greeted this with enthusiasm. As for me, Simultaneous Ringing is all I need. What I am enthusiastic about is that Callcentric is in the process of installing its own natural gas based power generator. Which means that service will be even more reliable.

NYC Nov 25 2013. Still providing reliable service.

NYC Dec 2013. They are now providing free porting in of US DIDs. They should have done this sooner; its too late for me.

NYC March 31 2014. Still providing reliable service. To repeat something I mentioned earlier, Callcentric has a call treatment for a busy line. If I am on the phone with one caller and somebody else calls at the same time, then the new call can be directed to another phone. In fact one can even specify that, for this class of caller, the call is to be directed to voicemail; but for that class of caller, the call is to be directed to another phone. There are Voip providers that provide cheaper calls but what is most important to me is Callcentric's call treatment (a) that the phone will only ring if the caller is whitelisted and (b) that I will not miss a call because the line was busy.