Callcentric page on DSLReports

Review by EGeezer See Profile

• Location: Mount Sterling,Madison,OH
Good "Call quality, reliability, features, good value"
Bad "No phone support, live chat would be a nice addition to the support structure"
Overall "Service excellent, lots of features for the money. "

UPDATE DECEMBER 20, 2014;
Callcentric has added 'telemarketer block' (TMB) to their feature set. With TMB, inbound callers to the numbers that you have this feature activated on will hear an automated message which will require them to press a specific key (1-9) in order to complete their call. The phone WILL NOT begin to ring, until AFTER the inbound caller has successfully pressed the requisite key on their phone.

I set up TMB in 'Call treatments', which allows me to block numbers not in my phone books. To date, it's been 100% effective in blocking robodialers.

The call attempts do, however, show up in the call logs so I can check the log for legitimate callers. The 'one time' pests I just leave alone, and if they call again they'll still have to press a number. I add persistent pests to a 'telemarketers' phone book with a call treatment that gives the caller a 'number disconnected' message. I add legitimate callers to my 'contacts' phone book that bypasses TMB.

So far, service remains solid. I do occasionally have voice echoes on calls. I haven't raised the issue with support but if it continues I will open a trouble ticket.

UPDATE JAN 10 2014:
Since my last review, Callcentric has been rock solid except for the major 2012 outage. After that outage, they credited my account based on the days they were down, something I never saw Centurylink, Sprint etc do when their lines were down.

Call quality is good. People can't tell I'm using VOIP. CC has added several features to my plan without adding cost. Presently, they have a free number porting promotion and I plan on porting my land line over as a second VOIP line and purchasing a second telephone adapter as a backup in case of a hardware failure. this will save me about $700 a year.

A nice feature is the one that forwards incoming calls to another number like a cell phone if my internet connection goes down or the Telephone adapter fails or is disconnected. This feature also lets me take my TA on the road with me to vacation homes. Calls will go to my cell phone when I'm on the road and not connected.

NOTE: If you are planning to port your land line and have a home alarm system, be sure that your alarm system will work with your TA and VOIP service, whether it's Callcentric or some other provider.

Updated JAN 26 2011

I signed up on May 15, 2009 for North America Unlimited and DID personal unlimited. The $27.40 monthly includes a $1.50 911 fee. This is a couple of bucks less than ATT Callvantage. However, price is secondary to reliability and quality to me.

I ordered the Linksys PAP2T TA after emailing the Callcentric support to verify support and recommendations. The PAP2T resides behind a NAT router and seems to have no issues with that setup.

Response time to online support questions was usually 1-3 hours and the responder addressed the questions well and accurately. It's somewhat clumsy and time consuming, however, to try to carry on an interactive conversation VIA email and online reporting. A "live chat" feature would be a welcome addition.

When the PAP2T arrived, I registered for the services. The PAP2T setup was fairly straightforward and the Callcentric documentation was accurate and essential to the setup.

Phone quality is excellent and I've had no issues with quality so far. The service has been quite stable, more so than the Road Runner connection.

911 was a problem in the beginning. The caller ID showed a different number at our 911 cal center. However, they are able to call me back automatically using the number on their display so I consider that resolved.

I contacted our local 911 administrative office for permission to test the system. Two possibly critical issues arose. On May 15, I opened trouble tickets with CallCentric to report the issues, and provided contact information to CallCentric for our local 911 administrator so they could work directly with them.

The issues were;

1) Although my complete address is reported correctly to our 911 system, the GPS coordinates sent to our 911 system shows my location approximately 850 miles away, somewhere northwest of Kansas City.

2) The ESN (Emergency Services Number) being provided to our 911 service is incorrect. The ESN is what the 911 operator uses to determine the correct police, fire and EMS to dispatch to the caller's location and this can be a critical factor in quick response or calls going to the wrong responders. .

According to Callcentric support, these issues have been forwarded to their 911 service provider as of 15 May 2009. As of this date (28 May 2009), there has been no resolution of these issues reported to me. CallCentric did update me on 22 MAY 2009 that some testing was to occur earlier that week.

The issue was ultimately resolved by Callcentric working with multiple intermediate carriers as an intermediate carrier's database issue. A check at the 911 dispatching center confirmed that have the address correctly. The location in their GIS system is within 50 feet of my home.

I recommend testing 911 to ensure the information is correct.

member for 12.3 years, 5451 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

OptIn

@74.89.65.x

monthly cost?

Just curious what kind of services you have with CC that runs you $27 a month?

Re: monthly cost?

said by OptIn :

Just curious what kind of services you have with CC that runs you $27 a month?

As he says, the North America Residential outbound, and Personal Unlimited (with DID) inbound.

That's suitable for very heavy users. Neither of those plans has a numeric cap.

The large majority of users can consider other options which can cost much less.

Especially on the Outbound plans, the 500 minute and 1000 minute packages are good (and each one includes the 911).
»www.callcentric.com/products/

Review by garys_2k See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "Call quality, service response, prices, call treatments"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Way to go! Still thumbs up after DDoS and Sandy."

Update Dec-2014
Still works great, still boring without drama or wondering if it will work, still loving the call treatments and telemarketer block, still enjoying the lack of issues. Still a 5/5 score.

Update Mar-2014
No issues, still great service, just to update the cost downward since we're on PAYGo and we're not using the phone so much.

Update Sep-2013
Excellent service, as expected, ever since the Hurricane Sandy incident. They've added some major new features, no cost increases, and reliability has been back to 100%. It's been many months since they've had problems and I don't even give my phone service a second thought. I still continue to HIGHLY recommend them!

Update Nov-2012:
Callcentric withstood some major challenges over the past 60 days, a blistering DDoS attack on their border controllers and a complete loss of power at their data center as a result of hurricane Sandy's flooding.

They managed the DDoS attack by adding hardware and new gateways (based on ports communicated via SRV records) as the attack proceeded. I was able to maintain service by registering with Callwithus, a competitor, and having inbound calls sip-forwarded there. I used Callwithus as an outbound provider during that time, as they allow the user to set their outbound CID. I set mine to my number registered as my DID line at Callcentric and inbound and outbound calling was back to normal.

The data center power outage was more problematic. Service and their websites were down for about four days -- I could still make calls via Callwithus but no incoming calls could be received. I'm willing to cut them slack from this 100 year event (more likely a 200+ year event), so while inconvenient (this is a home phone, backed up with cell phones) it didn't cause any lasting issues.

Update May-2012:
Still the very best choice (IMHO) for home VOIP I've heard of. I wish I'd started with CC to begin with, no regrets at all. Crystal clear, totally reliable and plenty of flexibility.

Update 1-Aug-2011:
This is getting boring, but that's in a really good way! I recently used the call treatments (sort of a small scale PBX-ish thing) to reroute some incoming calls from a particular number -- it worked great! This also diverts all incoming toll-free calls to voice mail.

So, another bunch of months and still nothing ugly. The 5/5 rating remains...

Update 10-March-2011:
Awesome provider, that's all I can say. NO issues,ever, improved features and totally reliable. Again, the wife no longer has to wonder how the calls will go through, they just DO. I have honestly forgotten that, when the phone rings, that the Internet is involved.

Still impressed with their almost complete lack of "issues" entries in the VOIP Tech Chat forum. Some providers seem to make up most of the posts dealing with "Incoming Calls Ring Busy" or "Which Server Should I Use Now?" type of issues. We needed a no-drama, will work like a telephone provider and absolutely have that with Callcentric.

Update 9-Dec-2010:
Still no issues, Wife Acceptance Factor is high. She has reported OCCASIONAL audio glitches but nothing that has interrupted a conversation. The phone just works, no drama, and we're enjoying the quality. I did drop the Dirt Cheap DID I'd kept as a backup incoming number, but not because of service issues. It's still GREAT!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

My port out from Future Nine was scheduled for 1-Nov-10 and it took place right on schedule. Call treatments have been great to cut out most all of the political BS calls we've been getting, and the phone book feature allows me to CNAM to the cell phone calls we get.

CC's reputation is about the best there is, it's not THE least expensive but certainly in the running (top few). For my use, about 400 minutes in and out per month, it's a wonderful deal.

I'll be back with an update after a few more weeks, but having seen all of the other reviews and forum posts about CC I strongly suspect I'll have a very smooth ride.

member for 10.6 years, 3756 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by punkinduster See Profile

• Location: Denver,Lancaster,PA
Good "Much cheaper with more features compared to POTS"
Bad "Like all VOIP you are at the mercy of your ISP"
Overall "Best provider for my money"

4/16/10 I have been with CallCentric for a couple of years now and I am very pleased that I left Vonage. The call quality and reliability has been better and at worst just as good as my five years with Vonage. The monthly cost in my case has been substantially less since I have a (Cheaper than Dirt) DID unlimited incoming calls along with pay as you go out bound calls. We don't use the phone a lot but it sure sounds much better than cell phone technology. Also the price for their service hasn't changed a dime. No added extra fees!

4/16/11 Just an update to say I'm still happy with the service and enjoy spending the money saved on other things....

11/15/12 We are still enjoying CallCentric's easy to use web site and a Cheaper than Dirt DID. Unlimited incoming calls for less than $3. A recent attack caused some issues for a few weeks but they are back on track as good or better than before. Solid performance and great sound.

12/13/13 Still a happy camper after 5 years of their service. Thanks CC!

11/29/14 I am so spoiled now with the extra features using voip that I wonder why others don't try it. I don't get any more telemarketer calls or late night calls after we are asleep. CallCentric is easy to use to block those unwanted calls.

Comments:

Review by russb52 See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
Good "Callcentric has saved me a lot of money over the last couple years"
Bad "Please get a west coast server for customer who live west of the rockies"
Overall "I am very happy with them"

·PHONE POWER
I am very happy with callcentric and their awesome service. They are saving me $30 - $40 a month maybe more and if I add that up over almost 2 years that's a lot of money. I have 2 VOIP Providers callcentric and Phonepower and I like them both. I use callcentric to make international calls.

My wife came to the U.S. in 1991 she is originally from the Philippines. She still has family back there although half of her family lives in the U.S. My mother-in-law lived in the U.S. for 26 years and 2 years ago at age 77 decided to move back to the Philippines to live out the rest of her years. Then came the problem, my wife likes to call her mom a lot but the Phone cards from the asian store are a rippoff and would say 100 minutes for $5 but you only get 20 min. We tried localphone, rebtel, and youtelo and they were better than the phone cards but were still at 11 cents a minute it would add up fast and I found myself paying $40 a month.

I searched for a solution and found callcentric's “IP Freedom “ account which is FREE. I own a lot of SPA 2102's so I created an account and configured 2 SPA's one for us here and one for my mother-in-law in the Philippines. We sent it to her with instructions on how to set it up and it works great. My mother-in law has dsl thru PLDT 1 Mbt down 250 Kbt up and voice quality is great. Since then we have sent two other configured SPA's to the Philippines to her sisters. One works, the other sister is using Globe dsl and can't get it to work.

My wife has 4 siblings in the U.S. and we sent configured SPA's to all of them. I also got my mother-in-law a NY DID that callcentric offers at NO CHARGE so all of us can call her on our cell phones. I feel grateful to callcentric for giving us this service for free. I put money on my mother-in-laws account so she can call any U.S. number and told her to please use it so callcentric can make a little money. She uses about $3 a month.

I can only think of two things Callcentric can improve on :

1. Get a west coast server for customers that live west of the rockies. I live near Seattle and the ping times to callcenteric can be between 70-110ms. Other voip companies have multiple severs. As a matter of fact my ping time to ViaTalk (a New York Company) are only 18ms at lightspeed.vtoc.net

2. The woman's voice used in announcements and voice-mail is pleasant but amateur sounding. I wonder if callcentric, instead of hiring a professional voice person just used an employee with a nice sounding voice. Her voice is ok but not professional or business-like in my opinion.

To wrap up this review callcentric is great and has lots of features great voice quality I highly reccomend.

Comments:

Review by bblesse See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "ymmv"
Bad "Expensive service for things I do not need"
Overall "Expensive service for things I do not need, ymmv"

Callcentric is a reliable service and calls made with it usually sound as good as voip gets. Its confirm by entering '1' for simultaneous calls is excellent, and the 'enter 1 to continue' is an effective telemarketer stopper.

The problem for me is that it is too expensive for what you get. Some numbers were gone over in a recent thread and they sound about right to me when I consider how much more I pay to Callcentric compared to what I pay to Voip.ms.

Offhand, CC is about twice as expensive for me as Voip.ms, and the supposed extras that you get in CC don't cut the mustard. Some of the things mentioned in the thread were:

Free NY City DID: I don't know anybody in NYC and have no use for a DID there.

Dirt Cheap DIDs: They do not have any where I would want them and I do not need more than the 1 DID I have in any case.

Americans at the support desk: I prefer to use the form to report problems and do not care if the person on the other end has an accent, as long as he knows his stuff and can type reasonably clear English.

The one-minute charge interval rather than a six-second charge interval does not make any difference to an average user: It makes a difference to me, since probably 40 percent or more of my calls are less than a minute long.

What CC does not have is an IVR, and its call treatments are clumsy.

Comments:

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

recommend1

Here we go again....

Why does it seem that most of the poor ratings for Callcentric come from people that are new to DSLReports? Also, they seem to only compare Callcentric to voip.ms. Why? There are MANY other voip companies.

OP's main issue seems to be price. So, why not compare Callcentric to someone like Localphone? They are even cheaper than voip.ms. In fact, perhaps OP needs to write a negative review of voip.ms since their rates are twice of Localphone!!
/scarcasm

Voip.MS office in Mexico

/scarcasm

Excellent points!

But you forgot one:

These drive-by reviews (set in a universe populated only by CallCentric, Voip.MS, and sometimes Anveo) invariably come on a weekend. Holiday weekends are even better.

As you say, Voip.MS is very expensive compared to Localphone, Vestalink, and some other providers. So maybe there should be some reviews highlighting that Voip.MS is very expensive.

As it happens, however, it all depends on usage.

CallCentric has outbound calling packages (such as 500 minute and 1000 minute, with 911 cost included). Voip.MS does not, it is strictly PAYG. Thus for some users CallCentric will be cheaper and Voip.MS will be more expensive.

There is no doubt that Voip.MS has some price advantage in Canada. Being that Canada is only 1/10 of the North American market, though....

Voip.MS is also able to keep costs down by running some operations in Mexico's Yucatan peninsula. The company name in Mexico is Intercan Holdings S.A. de C.V.
OzarkEdge

join:2014-02-23

said by PX Eliezer:

Is their affiliation with Mexico such a bad thing? I wonder if you would be less fond of CC if they were not located in your Northeast backyard.

OE

said by OzarkEdge:

said by PX Eliezer:

1) I'd be just as happy if CallCentric were in Tallahassee or Toronto, Salt Lake City or Saskatoon.

2) That Voip.MS have extensive ops in Mexico is directly related to the issue of lower costs, which is always highlighted by their advocates. So it's fair comment.

-----

I have no problem with sincere, legitimate reviews, and I'll leave it there.
bblesse

join:2014-08-29

said by PX Eliezer:

You say it is 'fair comment' to tell us that they have a Mexican affiliation, as if having that means something bad. You even included a picture as if we are supposed to be shocked.

Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL
Thanks PX. When my VOIPo contract expires and switches to $15/mo despite my low usage, I'll be looking for a new ITSP. ONE consideration will be their footprint in the USA.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
join:2008-07-21
That picture isn't really appropriate and it feels a bit creepy. To make things clear, only a small part of our technical support staff is located in Mexico, to help keep costs down for the responsive technical support with such a low price, and so that we can position ourself in a very aggressive market. We have a big presence within the latin american market and half of that Mexico team consists of expatriates (Canadian and American folks running the show).

Carriers, contracts, sellers, switches, data centers, management, company headquarters, and more, are all located in the USA and Canada. North American people and companies are pocketing the profit and paying respective taxes to USA (USAF) and Canada. We aren't an offshore company. Hope that helps.

PS: The computer you're using to post this is probably made in Taiwan or China. Cheers
Martin - VoiP.ms

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
Just to clarify, I do not want to sound like I think there is something wrong with voip.ms or Localphone. Callcentric, voip.ms and Localphone all provide good service.

It's nice that the voip market is competitive which is very good for us customers. There are many providers with different prices, features, and levels of support. It's great that we have so many choices and can pick the right provider for our needs.

said by crazyk4952:

....Callcentric, voip.ms and Localphone all provide good service.

Agreed, which is why reviews such as this one are not particularly helpful and are actually damaging to the competitor that is ostensibly being praised.
OzarkEdge

join:2014-02-23
said by crazyk4952:

In the OP's defense, his CC observations do not appear to be false or unqualified; and, the DSLR 'system' pesters new members to review something/anything, no matter your qualifications or bias.

These reviews are no different than any other forum post... you have to discover the facts and draw your own conclusions over time.

OE
bblesse

join:2014-08-29
·Callcentric
:OP's main issue seems to be price.

Not at all. Did you not read what I said: 'it is too expensive for what you get'?

I want reliability and decent sound first of all, then the bells and whistles like IVR and sophisticated call-handling. Then price. Callcentric is ok for reliability and sound, but the rest of what it offers for the most part falls behind Voip.ms, and is not worth the money when somebody like Voip.ms is around.
wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
·Future Nine Corp..

Call off the dogs

I agree with OE.

I see nothing wrong with what the OP wrote and I'm a fan of Callcentric's.

It seems like as soon as you write anything negative at all about any of the favorite providers discussed on here, that the dogs are unleashed.

What does it matter how long you have been a member on here? I've been a member here for ten years and my thoughts or personal reviews should have no more merit than a member who signed up yesterday. Now, I realize that there are those who just sign up to trash a competitor or are just a disgruntled customer, but that surely isn't the case very often. I really doubt it's the case with the OP.

In my case, I share the OP's view when it comes to costs at CC vs Voip.ms. CC is almost twice as much as Voip.ms, so Voip.ms is my main provider. Everyone's case is different though, and some folks might find that CC is cheaper for their needs.

As far as where an outfit is based? I really don't care if they're based in the trunk of a car in Madagascar as long as it works.

CC vs Voip.ms is a pretty tough call in a lot of areas.

Callcentric sure has a perdy website though.......................
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
·AcroVoice

2 recommendations

Re: Call off the dogs

said by wideglide36:

Now, I realize that there are those who just sign up to trash

That's what some of the posters in this thread believe.

There are a handful of uncharacteristically poor reviews for Callcentric, left by a new user who rarely if ever returns to the forum, and who complains about Callcentric's lack of IVR. In most cases, the same reviewer leaves a perfect review for VoIP.ms.

While theoretically possible, it is unlikely that so many new users have the exact same opinion.
CatsEyeX

join:2014-08-20
Alton, IL

Happy with Callcentric

I have only had Callcentric for a few weeks now, but other than my account getting flagged for fraud every time I tried to add a credit card or add money to my balance, I have been very happy with the service.

They were able to port phone numbers from Twilio for me and they are the first company which has ever been successful in doing that. The two others that I tried, Google Voice and Ring.to failed in porting. GV won't even try to port from Twilio.

I particularly love the telemarketer block. I know that something similar could be done with an IVR setup, but can an IVR tell the caller to push a random number between 1 and 9 like the telemarketer block at Callcentric will?

Review by Chuck66 See Profile

• Location: Mount Royal,Gloucester,NJ
Good "Extremely Cheap"
Bad "Sometimes call quality suffers"
Overall "Pretty happy with new provider"

I switched from VoipO. I was happy with their service, I was just looking for something cheaper since we rarely use the phone.
Overall very happy with the switch. I saving a significance amount of money with the pay as you go plan.

member for 10.6 years, 2060 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by aldo See Profile

Good "Good sound, almost always works"
Bad "No IVR, clumsy call handling, expensive"
Overall "Clumsy, expensive"

They can't reliably route calls: An IVR is necessary to route calls the way I want them routed and Callcentric has no IVR. Their Call Treatments are simplistic compared to Voip.Ms.

Their tech support can't provide proper support: They cant support something their company does not have.

Value for money is not so good: Both Voip.Ms and Anveo have figured out how to do what I need and have been offering it for years.

Another problem for me is that they are a bit pricey: 1.98 cents per minute to call out, $3.95 to setup up a DID, $1.95 per month to maintain the DID.

Comments:
PX Eliezer

Outbound calling plans and IVR

You commented: [A smaller problem for me is that they are a bit pricey....]

Many/most customers can benefit from their 500 minute and 1000 minute outbound calling plans, which also bundle in the 911 cost.

As for the IVR, this will indeed be a useful and formidable feature when they finish their meticulous development and testing. You are quite right about that.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·magicjack.com

Re: Outbound calling plans and IVR

While CC is a bit pricey indeed but one thing which has to be considered is the flexibility of plans. It gives you a wide variety of pricing options, more than some other providers. Also, you do not have to use CC exclusively. GV, Localphone and others can be used for a part of your outgoing calls, or providers like Alcazar for toll free calling.
rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Gee, another CallCentric is "okay ... but" review by a new guy who's only other review is 100% for voip.ms. Boy, I've never seen that pattern before.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace

You have got it wrong!

A smaller problem for me is that they are a bit pricey: $00.198 per minute to call out

Their rate is NOT $00.198 per minute, it's $0.0198 per minute.
My VoIP News
Graustark

Re: You have got it wrong!

Good pickup Arne!
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

You can fudge an IVR if you have an Obi device

If you have an Obi device (or maybe another ATA that has the capability to register to more than one VoIP provider at the same time), you can go into the Callcentric portal and create a second sub-account (extension). You can then setup a second SP slot on your Obi device (Obi100/Obi110/Obi202/Obi200/etc.) to log into Callcentric using the sub-account's SIP credentials. You would then setup the second SP's InboundCallRoute to send all incoming calls to the Obi Auto Attendant.

Then go into your Callcentric account and add a Call Treatment to route any caller not in your Phone Book to the second sub-account (extension). Then go to obitalk.com and bring up the page where you setup/config your Obi. Then go to Voice Service -> Auto Attendant and clear the NumberOnNoInput field, then save this change.

Voila... you've now got a telemarketing robocall blocker that will allow a human dialer to press 1 to get though to ring the phone(s) connected to your Obi but will hang up if 1 isn't pressed after a few seconds. And your phones will just simply ring if anyone in your Phone Book calls- they won't get the Auto Attendant.

EDIT: I should add that this is just simply a workaround until Callcentric gets their IVR up and going, hopefully soon. The downside to this is that I had to boot Google Voice off of the SP1 slot on my Obi110. Also, the Obi Auto Attendant has an issue with passing calls from anonymous callers after they press 1- my Obi110 hangs up when I pick up the phone.
Livadia

join:2007-12-18
Canada

On blocking telemarketers

It seems Callcentric provides the option for requesting the caller to press '1' before the call is accepted. Look at the 'Call Treatments' then select the 'Simultaneous Ringing'.

I have not tried it, though.

1 recommendation

Rabbit season, Duck season, Silly season.

said by aldo:

Reliability and having an IVR are two different issues. And CallCentric is far, far from the only VoIP provider that does not yet have an IVR.

said by aldo:

Their tech support is outstanding. That they may not have a feature you want is a different issue.

said by aldo:

You first posted your negative review of CC almost a year ago. Because other providers meet your needs better, why are you still using CallCentric?

And IF you are NOT still using CallCentric, then you should not be posting an updated review.

Is there some flaw in my logic?

said by aldo:

They have a variety of inbound plans (even including free numbers) and a variety of outbound plans. The 1.98 cents is a PAYG rate whereas most users will find their 500 or 1000 minute outbound plans (which also include 911) to be more economical. (Voip.MS has no outbound calling bundles, totally PAYG).

But you are right, Voip.MS has some very cheap rates. Partly they achieve that by providing some tech support from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
·AcroVoice

2 recommendations

Suspicious review

1) Some months ago, an individual or individuals posted a large number of similarly-worded reviews, praising VoIP.ms, and denouncing Callcentric.

2) The reviews were so similar that the moderators removed the majority of them.

3) The user aldo See Profile posted reviews with similar language to 1) in September, but with an 83% rating for Callcentric - thereby avoiding having the reviews removed.

4) aldo has now lowered the Callcentric review's score to 58%, even though in November 2013, Callcentric released the Telemarketer Block feature that performs to his specifications.

Clearly, this user's reviews are not genuine. If they were, the individual would have increased his scores when the feature he wanted was released, not decreased them.

Review by batfell See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Bad "Simplistic, expensive"
Overall "There are better yet cheaper voip providers"

2014 08 02
Not much to change. They are ok but charge too much for what they provide.

2013 05 31
I am glad to say that CC is getting out of the doldrums and has put in sub-accounts, and they say they are working on an IVR of some sort. Good for them.

If they keep this up, I may consider using them for more than a backup.

Update 2012 12 24
Callcentric continues to be reliable and to sound good. I use it for
occasional outgoing calls, and as a backup if my main vosp, voip.ms,
should fail, which hasn't yet happened.

But every year that goes by shows Callcentric looking clunkier and
stodgier, with its poor call-handling, and that it is unlikely to
change any time soon.

Update 2012 05 23
Callcentric continues to be a decent service, but one that is kind
of clunky and simple-minded. The website has gotten better, though.

I use it for a backup, which I never need, but I have a few dollars
in it so might as well keep the credentials.

Original Review
I have been trying Callcentric as a second line for a few months and
it is not bad but nothing to write home about.

It is like a slightly shabby corner store that has the basic food -
the milk, bread, etc., but that you do not go to unless you ran
out of something at the last minute and can not get to the super
market.

The website is pretty good, and suited to the features it offers.

The features are the problem. CC does a basic job and even has
disa and callback.

What it does not have, or has in an inferior way are:

Simplistic callerid processing. I would have to spend all
day setting up the callerid routing that I can do within minutes
using Voipo, Voip.ms, or Anveo.

No IVR. An amazing lack. Even 2 years ago, the lack of an
IVR would not condemn a voip provider to the second-tier category,
but not having one at this point in voip development marks CC as
fit only for the most undemanding users.

And when I say 'IVR', I am including the call flow processing
that goes with it, things like a time condition, another IVR, call
forwarding, sip url, ring group, etc.

CC has some of these, usually in a rudimentary form compared
to the three voip providers mentioned above.

Its calling rates and monthly DID charge are rather expensive. On
the other hand, it allows you to set up a free account and then
call CC to CC for no charge.

If you are someone who will never grow out of a simplistic voip
provider, then CC is for you; if you are someone who will grow out
of that and will grow into a provider with up-to-date features, then
give CC a pass.

Comments:
PX Eliezer70
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

Hmmmm.

I have used around 10-12 providers and consider myself pretty experienced in VoIP.

There is no doubt that if you need IVR or subaccounts, then CC is not for you.

But aside from that, they are a very complete provider, known for high reliability and great customer service.

For most purposes, I much prefer the CallCentric dashboard to that of Voip.MS

For example, I can one-click from the list of received calls to create a pre-populated phone book entry, or create a pre-populated call treatment.

After you posted your review, CallCentric introduced additional outbound calling plans. They are [not] the cheapest provider, they do not intend to be, but they are competitive and they give fine service.

Review by edsmith See Profile

• Location: Cordova,Walker,AL
Good "No Problems"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Is it Worth it?"

Callcentric does a good job for me but it is a bit expensive. If I make or receive no calls in a month, I still have to pay $1.95 to keep the DID and $1.50 for 911. That's $3.45 just to keep things going.

If I make a call, it is 1.98 cents per minute. If I receive a call, it is 1.5 cents per minute.

Compare that with Voip.MS, which charges $1.00 to keep the DID and $1.50 for 911. That adds up to $2.50 per month, a savings of $1.45 per month over Callcentric.

And calling out using Voip.MS is 1 cent per minute, and the same for incoming calls.

And Callcentric charges by the minute, so if I make a 30-second call, I am charged for a full minute or 1.98 cents. Voip.MS charges in 6-second increments, so for the 30-second call I would be charged for half a minute or one-half of a cent. Since most of the calls I make are less than a minute in length, the difference per month is pretty large.

Is Callcentric worth what it costs? I'm not sure it is.

Comments:
PX Eliezer70
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

Tangled web

You've mentioned several providers in your CallCentric review:

voip.ms
anveo
voipo
callcentric

And simultaneously posted a glowing review of Voip.MS

---------------------------------------------

The truth is that all providers have pros and cons.

Voip.MS seems to have many issues lately with inbound calls and with servers. Also, Voip.MS has no flat-rate outbound calling plans or inbound fax server, CallCentric has both.

Anveo is very confusing in the opinion of many people, both in terms of their service plans and in terms of how to use it.

Voipo is a fine company, but they are not big on call treatments, and they are not BYOD friendly at all. I can't see how you would compare them to CallCentric, they are very different products.

CallCentric in many ways is easier to use than Voip.MS. For example, I can take a call that's listed on the list of 40 most recent incoming calls, and with a couple of clicks make a phonebook entry or create a call treatment. I can't do that with Voip.MS, everything is much more cumbersome with them.

And CallCentric's call forwarding is better than Voip.MS's when it comes to cellphones, because CallCentric has a "press 1 to answer" feature that Voip.MS lacks even though many Voip.MS customers have long asked for it, and it's been on the VMS project list for over a year. This should be especially important to you in Alabama where there are so many Mobile phones....

CallCentric also provides many free services, and easily handles free calls between customers. I can't say that of Voip.MS. And as noted, by using CallCentric outbound calling plans, the price for CC compared to Voip.MS is quite similar in the US market.

As I see it, Voip.MS has three advantages for those who need it:

a) Cheaper in the Canadian outbound market.
b) IVR.
c) Subaccounts.

But CallCentric has a great deal to offer as well, and in many ways is superior. Many things that Voip.MS has were developed at CallCentric first, such as the country-by-country security settings. And CC has auto-refill options and many other features that Voip.MS lacks.
Expand your moderator at work
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

Ridiculous.

I don't know if it's the fault of GV+Obihai going mainstream, or perhaps Localphone and other bottom-of-the-barrel providers, but it seems like some people expect providers to work for free these days. Look- you can't have it both ways - either you pay for quality service and support, or you don't get it. You can't judge a quality provider by price alone, especially not when the difference is less than the cost of a Starbucks.

Providers need to get paid or they go out of business - that simple. CallCentric wasn't "expensive" a few years ago - so why is it now? the race to the bottom isn't good for providers, but it isn't good for consumers either because no provider can offer quality and support at bottom-barrel prices.

Review by fizzboz See Profile

• Location: Park,Gove,KS
Overall "Clumsy, lacking in important basics"

update on july 20
Callcentric is still usable as a backup service, but it just does not have some of the things I think of as essential in a voip service, such as an IVR and an easy-to-use way to route incoming calls.

For example, with Voip.ms, I can specify that calls from certain incoming numbers be answered until 4pm, and for others until 8pm, and for others at any time, and I can do it with just a few entries.

With Callcentric, I would have to have 21 call treatments, 7 for each group of numbers. And if, for example, I want to have other kinds of routing for weekends, it would mean 42 call treatments. Very inadequate.

And Callcentric has no IVR. With Voip.ms, I am able to allow family and friends easy and cheap phone access to one another without them even needing voip.

Reliability is not so good: no IVR means callers can not reliably connect. Absurdly complex call treatments leave too much room for error - poor reliability.

Tech support is not so great either: You complain about missing features and they say they cant do anything about it.

Not so good value for money: with Voip.ms and Anveo running the pants off Callcentric as far as IVR and call routing, what value? And it costs more! Stay away is my advice.

A Long Time Ago

Pretty good. The service seems solid. It is a clumsy, limited kind of
service as far as features go. Maybe the addition of sub-accounts
will make it more attractive.

I do not like the lack of redundant servers, geographically
separated, and really do not like the attitude that Callcentric
knows best that showed up after the hurricane in October.

It is not just that their setup is difficult, as I understand it, to replicate
at several locations, but that their attitude, as expressed on this forum,
is that such redundancy is not even needed.

The bit about 'such a storm will only happen once in 100 years'
does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the resilience of
a voip provider with its servers in one place.