Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Callcentric page on DSLReports

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Good features, good pricing, good support, works great!"
Overall "Excellent product for those wish to provide their own ATA/SoftPhone."

·CIKTEL Telecom
4/16/15--- My prayers have been answered! Last July I mentioned my desire to be able to upload personalized recordings which I could assign as focused greetings/messages for incoming calls based on CallerID. Well CallCentric outdid themselves with their new IVR feature ... allowing uploading of personalized or canned recordings to an account ... and setting up Call Treatments for either incoming individual CallerIDs --- or multiple DIDs within Phone Book subgroups such as Family, Business, Mother-in-Law's Home, Cell & Work #s --- to go to pre-assigned recordings. Way to go, CallCentric.

Other upgrades have been added a well: »[CallCentric] CallCentric IVR, free porting, and more..

-=-=-=-=-=-

7/8/14--- Just posting my 6 month update. Nothing has changed. I continue to experience rock stable performance with a good feature set.

I am still hoping for Texting capability and would also find it useful to be able to upload personalized Recordings which I could assign as focused greetings/messages for incoming calls based on CallerID.

1/1/14---

I continue to enjoy the CC offering ... with rock stable performance.

1) Good choice of plans with no extra charges except for the PAYG plan's E911 service (and sales tax on all plans for those showing a New York billing address).

2) Even easier site negotiation since the website up-spiff.

3) Excellent feature set (although, for my personal needs, I am still awaiting availability of SMS Texting).

4) Excellent tutorials on the website to help newbies setup an iPhone, SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

5) Excellent call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from one's cable modem to the ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

6) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

7) Awesome tech support via my occasional Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

8) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

7/9/13---

CC continues to be among the best of the best ... especially with the recent additions (e.g., sub-accounts) to its service. The website is one of the easiest to negotiate. The day to day service is rock solid. I'm eagerly awaiting an SMS texting feature. (Not everyone wants or uses SMS over VoIP ... but I do.)

11/30/12---

Wow!!! CC has been through hell ... and back ... back with a vengeance. The recent double-trouble events ... overwhelming DDoS attacks almost immediately admixed with the devastating results of Hurricane Sandy ... created chaos and a bit of doubt (and hand wringing) among some of CC's users (and posters in the BBR Forums). However, CC has come through with flying colors ... including a very comprehensive albeit highly technical diary of events and responses to these events posted by Iscream (a CC insider).

All aspects of CallCentric's VoIP product and service continue to shine.

5/25/12---

Semi-annual update: CC continue to deserve its position at the top of the review list ... continuing to provide excellent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

11/27/11---

Time for a semi-annual update to report that my appraisal of the CC product and service continues to score 100% across the board.

4/29/11---

CC has continues to maintain its position at the top of the review list. It certainly deserves that rating ... continuing to provide magnificent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

1/30/11 ---

Quick update ... maintaining by ongoing ratings across the board. A host of new and improved features have recently been implemented by CC.

12/15/10 ---

End of year update: CallCentric continues to perform perfectly in all areas ... as one of my two PAYG providers*. I've not experienced a single hiccough since early 2009 (an incoming fax issue that apparently affected all customers and the problem was fixed in under two hours).

Although my monthly costs are a tad higher than my other PAYG provider, I am still getting full value. I maintain a CC account (and the "other" PAYG service) on each of my several 2-line PAP2T-NAs at various locations ... essentially protecting against server or connection downtime not to mention a catastrophic event (i.e., bankruptcy ala SunRocket).

If I were forced to select my choice for the most fiscally stable VoIP provider that will survive well into the future, it would have to be CC ... by a gnat's whisker over a few others.

* Note: I do have other barely used PAYG providers ... but these are just for fun and experimentation.

3/28/2010 ---

This update is sort of mandated by my recent updates to (and an addtion of) my three other main VoIP providers. I continue to delight in every aspect of the CallCentric product offering ... reliability, quality, support, features and value. Nothing has changed. There may be a feature or two that might be required by others ... but my needs are being met.

12/31/2009 ---

End of year update. I've not had a single issue since my last update, still using multiple CC accounts for a variety of end uses.

3/5/2009 ---

CallCentric continues to work perfectly ... and amaze me. I recently ported in a DID to an additional CC account (one of several), this one specifically for use as a dedicated incoming fax line which delivers faxes as email attachments. I found that wrong numbers or hang-ups to my fax-DID resulted in an automated email sent with an essentially empty attachment. This was annoying because, with my BlackBerry, I needed to open the email and then click thru to see the faxed attachment ... a waste of time when the fax document was blank.

On the urging of another BBR poster around dinnertime today, I opened a ticket with CC's support people. Within 9 ... yes 9 ... minutes I received an initial response reporting that they were able to duplicate/confirm the "problem" ... and 1 hour 22 minutes later I received a follow-up message indicating the problem has been rectified.

06/17/2008 ---

This is my first review of the CallCentric offering -- even though I've had three accounts at three different locations for well over 6 months. Here's my take on each of the rated categories:

1) Easy to negotiate website --- with all the bells and whistles seen with more expensive providers.

2) Excellent tutorials on the website to help noobies setup SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

3) Good call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from my cablemodem to my ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

4) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

5) Awesome tech support via Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

6) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

By the way, CC has made it very easy to port numbers in --- although they do charge a one-time $25 fee.

Lastly, CC is the only one of the many providers to whom I subscribe that works flawlessly with my PAP2T-NA and Comcast Cablemodem in my Boca Raton FL home.

member for 9.5 years, 3671 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

What it does.... it does quite well.

We could argue that there are providers that do more and or cost less.... but CallCentric's prices are competitive, and the setup is pretty cut and dry. It works well for many client's home and small office needs.

Post hurricane, CallCentric has had a very good run.

Review by Chuck66 See Profile

• Location: Mount Royal,Gloucester,NJ
Good "Extremely Cheap"
Bad "Sometimes call quality suffers"
Overall "Pretty happy with new provider"

I switched from VoipO. I was happy with their service, I was just looking for something cheaper since we rarely use the phone.
Overall very happy with the switch. I saving a significance amount of money with the pay as you go plan.

3/26/15
Still using the service on a pay per minute plan. Very happy with what I get for about $3.45 a month.

Comments:

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Excellent handling of incoming calls"
Overall "Gold standard of Voip"

·RCN CABLE
·callwithus
NYC Aug 2012. This is a review of Callcentric (CC). CC's handling of incoming calls is terrific.

I have a PSTN phone but I have turned off the ringer and told everybody to call me on the CC phone. I have one of CC's free 646 NY area code DID's for all incoming calls. I have a second Voip phone with a Callwithus (CWU) account but it does not receive incoming calls.

I am happy with CC's reliability, technical support etc but what I like best is their "Call Treatments", a sophisticated facility which gives me full control to determine how an incoming call is treated. My PSTN provider could also provide these features but some features would each cost about $4 per month. With Call Treatments I have allowed friends listed in my CC phone book to call me. In the phone book I can associate a name with the number so when they do call, the system identifies the person's name. But everybody else gets a busy signal and the house is so peaceful without annoying calls from telemarketers. If the CC phone is not working, say an internet or power outage, then the call goes to voicemail. A call treatment ensures that no phones ring on the weekend.

My favorite call treatment is call forward busy line. When I am on a call with one person, then if somebody else calls at the same time the new call is Sip forwarded from the CC phone to the CWU phone. But this feature can only work so long as the phone with the call treatment is registered with CC.

I have three phones enabled to make outgoing calls; a PSTN phone and two Voip phones. One Voip phone is registered with CC and the other Voip phone is registered with CWU. Generally I use my PSTN phone for my outgoing calls and I do not make many outgoing Voip calls. CC charge 2 cents per minute for outgoing calls PAYG. CWU, however, charge only 1 cent per minute. The quality of outgoing CC calls and CWU calls are both good. With permission of my wife I may discontinue the PSTN phone and then I will think about switching to CC's North America 500. This plan costs $7 per month for 500 minutes and it includes 911 coverage. But I will still keep CWU service as backup.

So long as I have my PSTN phone I don't want or need 911 service from a Voip phone. Obviously CC have to abide by FCC regulations. But they are fastidious about 911 coverage even though they make no profit out of this. CWU, however, flatly do not provide 911 coverage.

I urge anybody new to Voip to check out CC. You can try out their Freedom plan which allows free calls to people within the CC network. If you have a relative overseas then you can both sign up to a free CC account and make free calls to each other. With two years' experience I can only repeat, which other DSLR reviewers say, that CC is the gold standard of Voip.

Dec 7 2012. Back to normal after DDOS attacks and Hurricane Sandy.

May 10 2013. Since Sandy, Callcentric service has been solid. They recently added sub accounts or extensions. Many DSLR readers have greeted this with enthusiasm. As for me, Simultaneous Ringing is all I need. What I am enthusiastic about is that Callcentric is in the process of installing its own natural gas based power generator. Which means that service will be even more reliable.

NYC Nov 25 2013. Still providing reliable service.

NYC Dec 2013. They are now providing free porting in of US DIDs. They should have done this sooner; its too late for me.

NYC March 31 2014. Still providing reliable service. To repeat something I mentioned earlier, Callcentric has a call treatment for a busy line. If I am on the phone with one caller and somebody else calls at the same time, then the new call can be directed to another phone. In fact one can even specify that, for this class of caller, the call is to be directed to voicemail; but for that class of caller, the call is to be directed to another phone. There are Voip providers that provide cheaper calls but what is most important to me is Callcentric's call treatment (a) that the phone will only ring if the caller is whitelisted and (b) that I will not miss a call because the line was busy.

NYC August 6 2014. My copper wire phone and my Callcentric phone were happily coexisting. I had been a Callcentric customer for three or four years. I used the copper wire phone for outgoing calls and the Callcentric phone for both outgoing and incoming calls. I had thought about disconnecting the copper wire phone but my wife wanted to keep it. And then overnight, without any warning, Verizon disconnected my copper wire phone. Well, at least I was prepared for this, and now, for the last few weeks my Callcentric phone has been my only phone. And the Callcentric phone has faced this challenge with success.

The most significant change has been that I immediately ordered 911 emergency service for the Callcentric phone. There are two ways to test the 911 service. One is to call 933 and this confirms the address shown to the 911 operator. And secondly, after some hesitation, I called 911 and announced this was not an emergency. The operator confirmed she was in New York City and then, with her permission, I hung up the phone. 911 service with Callcentric costs $3 initially and then $1.50 per month. There does not seem to be a way to simulate an incoming call from a 911 operator.

I am now considering signing up for Callcentric's 500 minute plan.

NYC August 7 2014. I have been pondering my monthly cost. Historically it was about $4 and this last month it has been about $7 and $3 for 911 service totaling $10. It is amazing how much cheaper Voip is than copper wire. Callcentric provides free New York DIDs and being as I live in New York this is a real bonus - a low latency DID with a local number, for free! So I pay nothing for incoming calls. Now that I am going to be making hundreds of minutes of outgoing calls using Voip I have three options. 1) Pay as you go, which is about 2 cents a minute (including NY tax) and pay $1.50 for 911 service, 2) the 500 plan, which is $7 and includes 911 service, 3) a) Localphone's 800 plan which is $1.60 b) Callcentric's PAYG and c) pay $1.50 to Callcentric for 911 service. And I have chosen option 3. So I suppose my monthly costs to Callcentric will stay at about $4 for PAYG plus $1.50 for 911- about $6 total.

NYC March 22 2015. My last bill was a dollar for overseas calls, no domestic calls and $1.50 for 911 service. I have not experienced any problems with regular service with Callcentric since Hurricane Sandy.

However I did have a problem with 911 service. In October 2014 there were three unknown people banging on my door and I called 911 and asked for the Police. Instead of sending round a car the Police phoned me back. The phone rang once, one single ring, and then the call went to Voicemail and the Police did not leave a message. The people were banging on my door for over an hour, I was terrified and I called 911 four times and the Police did not send round a car but just phoned back and the calls went to Voicemail. Obviously I'm not blaming Callcentric for the Police not sending round a car. But I am blaming the 911 system for the Police's calls going to Voicemail. The next day I checked the log and realized that the calls were going to Voicemail and I reported this to Callcentric and they fixed the problem.

Comments:
OzarkEdge

join:2014-02-23
USA

4 edits

Cost: $4 per month

$4 per month would be more meaningful/accurate if you listed the monthly services/fees including typical billed minutes and rate.

For example, here are my VoIP.ms startup costs 2/22-6/30:
DID setup fee (trial DID canceled 4/22): $0.50
DID1 port fee (FOC 3/26): $0.00
DID1 monthly fee: $0.99/month
DID1 LIBD/CNAM CallerID name lookup fee: not subscribed ($0.008/call)
e911 Enabled DID1 setup fee: $1.50
----
Total VoIP.ms billing 2/22-6/30: $46.28, 935 calls, 7077 minutes
OBi202 ata cost: $67.31
Savings from canceled landline Apr, May, Jun: [$117.00]
Savings from ~215 AT&T GoPhone minutes at $0.10/minute shifted to VoIP.ms: [$19.35]
------------------------------------
Net savings 2/22-6/30: $22.76

OE
steve1111

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY

Re: Cost: $4 per month

Yes you're right. Over a month has passed since I went 100 percent Callcentric and I have recalculate my costs and post a new figure.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Google Voice
·Callcentric

Quite a significant glitch, I would say.

The fact that CC fixed the e911 issue does not alter the fact that the system did not properly work . 911 is something we do not call often but when we do it has to work. I am not sure whether Callcentric is getting a blue eye here but for sure VoIP does. I will use my cell phone for emergency calls.
snic

join:2009-10-14
Harrison, NY
·VOIPO

Re: Quite a significant glitch, I would say.

To be fair, it sounds like the 911 calls worked perfectly fine - it was that the police's calls (which I assume weren't from 911 but from another number) were routed to voicemail. Not that this glitch isn't significant (and I wonder what explains it), but it is not a 911 problem.

Review by Fiscal See Profile

• Location: Longview,Gregg,TX
Good "Cheap. Works well. Many options to handle calls."
Bad "Absolutely nothing."
Overall "Love it."

My review of Callcentric is summarized as: Cheap; works well; many options to handle calls; nothing bad.

The many options offered by Callcentric to route calls sometimes takes a bit of explanation, but their customer service (which is via e-mail) has worked well for me with quick and on-point responses. Their customer service personnel that answer e-mail questions READ your question and actually answer it; they do not leave rote answers that are unhelpful. I self-installed my own purchased equipment. The self-install was somewhat demanding, but if the directions are followed your system will work. The total monthly cost varies with the number of calls made.

Call quality is excellent.

Comments:
snic

join:2009-10-14
Harrison, NY

Yup

I agree. I've had CallCentric for about 3 months now, and the service has worked flawlessly. The initial set-up took some time, but with the clear instructions on their website, it wasn't difficult. The absolute best thing is that now all callers who are not in my whitelist are asked to press a number in order to be connected. This has almost eliminated telemarketer calls that get through. It is FAR better than simply having a blacklist.

The cost is slightly more than what I had before (voipo), but voipo wasn't working reliably for me (and they don't have the "press number to be connected" option). So far with CallCentric every single call has gone through and the quality is crystal clear. I'm VERY happy.

Review by travelguy See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe,Santa Fe,NM
Good "Everthing you would need from a VOIP service"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Run, don't walk."

I switched from Google Voice to Callcentric about a year ago after tiring of Google glitches and constant rumors of service shutdowns. I can say I'll never go back. Callcentric runs an excellent VOIP service. The charges are reasonable and the configuration options are plenty.

member for 15.6 years, 3609 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
Overall "Phone numbers perform well with Asterisk"

·AcroVoice
·Anveo
I've had a Callcentric account for longer than I can remember. My Callcentric DID is routed to my Asterisk server, and both Callcentric and Asterisk perform very well together. Due to personal preference, I use a (slightly) different configuration than posted in their FAQ and thought it may be worthwhile to post relevant portions of my sip.conf and extensions.conf.

; From sip.conf: Register to Callcentric, if I have only one phone number, or all my phone numbers are routed the same way.
register => 1777xxxxxxx:password@callcentric.com/1347xxxxxxx
; Incoming calls will be routed to the 1347xxxxxxx extension in the default context.

; Alternately, you may have multiple phone numbers with Callcentric and you may wish to route them in different ways. In that case I would use the following in my sip.conf:
register => 1777xxxxxxx:password@callcentric.com/callcentric
; Here is my example of how you can route Callcentric phone numbers to different extensions from within extensions.conf:
exten => callcentric,1,NoOp(Incoming Callcentric call)
same => n,GotoIf($[${REGEX("1347xxxxxxx" ${SIP_HEADER(TO)})}=1]?incoming,1347xxxxxxx,1)
same => n,GotoIf($[${REGEX("1347yyyyyyy" ${SIP_HEADER(TO)})}=1]?incoming,1347yyyyyyy,1)
same => n,Goto(incoming,default,1)

member for 6.3 years, 3763 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by PX Eliezer See Profile

• Location: Graustark
Good "Great reliability, usability, flexibility, quality, and value."
Bad "IVR would be a great addition especially for business users."
Overall "Nobody does it better...."

Update January 25, 2015:
CallCentric continues to work flawlessly for my home and business.

-----

I've been using CallCentric for both my home and business for several years.

The darn thing just works, I never have to think about it.

It is very easy to set up, has great customer support, highly usable website with extensive documentation, excellent billing software, and good customer security.

I use one line with their inbound fax server, and that works well too.

Security measures include (among others) the ability to enable/disable outbound calls by country (they were first with that), and the option of IP address whitelist verification for your equipment.

There is a wide variety of inbound and outbound calling options (chosen individually) including both flat-rate and PAYG plans each way. Free unlimited DID's are even available for metro NY areas.

There are no extra fees other than NY sales tax for NY residents, and 911 fee (but with a flat-rate outbound calling plan 911 is bundled in)

Extensive support is provided for SIP URI calling, iNum, and SipBroker.

Call Treatments are easy to use and very flexible.

One limiting factor had been the lack of subaccounts, but CallCentric introduced this functionality (which they call Extensions) in May 2013. Multiple mailboxes per account also available.

CallCentric has extensive switches and interconnect facilities which they own and manage, based in New York. That's why they are so good and so reliable over the long term. However, this did lead to a series of events which caused 2 days of failure in the 2012 Hurricane Sandy disaster as multiple backup measures did not work. There are some customers who prefer good providers with multi-city remote servers instead, and certainly those customers will likely choose such providers.

My experience with CallCentric has been excellent and I highly recommend them.

member for 2.1 years, 1286 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

I'm Happy Too

I almost think the review is a bit too glowing.

CC's had a great run post hurricane. I see many tech help posts on this board, and very few for CC... Post hurricane that is.

I think CC is on the right track and I hope their new features serve everyone well.

Re: I'm Happy Too

said by VexorgTR:

I hope so too, and in any large service upgrade there are bound to be some gremlins. So I'll anticipate that in advance. If there are a couple of rough days---I say if---that would be worth it.

And---in the same sense that Han Solo said "He's only a wookie", I would of course acknowledge, "It's only VoIP".

But I depend on these guys to keep my wife happy at home, and to keep everything running at my office. I also depend on them for me to be able to receive some very crucial family phone calls.

And they don't let me down.

Review by amd64now See Profile

• Location: Orleans,ON
Good "Excellence in providing a BYOD solution to customers"
Bad "A little higher in costs then some BYOD providers"
Overall "A provider I would recommend to my Grandmother.."

·Anveo
Jan 2015

I am still a happy customer of CallCentric. I maintain inbound services with them for my eastern Canada phone number and for outbound calls within Canada. The call quality is always excellent. They are not the rock bottom price for outbound calling in Canada, but when I do want to make that important call where I don't want to deal with possible call quality, I will use CallCentric.

Canadian CNAM is still working strong. Delivered everywhere I call. One specific destination I call in eastern Canada, only CallCentric delivers Canadian CNAM successfully. All others I have tried does not. I think they are using good quality outbound carriers to keep this functionality with the excellent call quality.

Again, I recommend them to anyone whom wants great quality with little fuss.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
November 2013

CallCentric is a provider that provides high call quality for a reasonable price. They have expanded their coverage in Canada covering most Canadian locations. With the release of the option of Telemarketer Block with the "press 1 to connect", they have become one of my primary providers for my usage.

I am very happy with their support. I had an issue with caller id delivery to a specific Canada cell phone provider. Instead of placing blame on my cell phone provider, they contacted the underling carrier to adjust the display to the exchange to fix the issue. Not too many voip providers would take the customer complaint to this level.

They are a high quality provider and I am more then happy to recommend them to anyone that would like a POTS quality voip provider in Canada.

My review of Callcentric is long overdue...

I have used Callcentric over the last few years. The call quality has always been excellent. They are the only provider that I have not had to put a ticket in to support about call quality to a Canadian destination.

With the recent knowledge Canadian CNAM was supported, I had to test it out. I am impressed. Callcentric will deliver incoming Canadian CNAM from landline to your phone. They will also deliver your name you register in your account (not from your ATA) to landline. In summary, you will benefit with incoming Canadian and US CNAM lookup for free and outgoing name registered in your account. Other providers charge per call to have both or a combination of both.

My area was never supported for porting to Callcentric. I always wondered why and never bothered to ask. Recently, I decided to ask. I pm'd Iscream and asked. To my delight and Iscream's hard work, Callcentric now supports my area and many other Canadian exchanges.

Callcentric is a provider I would recommend for someone that wants to save money with being with a reliable BYOD but don't want to learn the technical details or deal with huge ATA configuration. They follow Callcentric example for their ATA and it works!.

Comments:

Review by aatcman See Profile

• Location: Brandywine,Prince Georges,MD
  • Install: about -1 days
Good "Real Customer Service, Just works ANYWHERE"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "I have used this service for years. Please keep up the good work!"

If you want a simple to use VOIP service, with every option you could possibly want, that will work with almost any client (hard or soft) on almost any imaginable internet connection, and provide crystal clear phone calls for very little $, this is the place...

I travel a lot in my job, overseas especially..

I wanted a cheap and inexpensive way to call home while on travel..
About 10 years ago I discovered Callcentric through a simple web search for personal VPN services..

I have used their service in at least 20 different countries and at least 120 different connections, with clients ranging from simple hard phones, wifi handset voip phones, linksys ATA's, a soft client ap on my smart phone that integrates with the smartphone dialer so I can use my same saved contacts I use for regular cellular calls when I am home, and most recently a Dect 6.0 cordless ATA solution.

Every last one of these configurations has worked very well, even in countries where dial up speeds were considered amazing....

The convenience of being able to walk into a hotel, connect my smartphone to the wifi, and instantly having us phone service available on my smartphone is amazing..

I use the pay as you go plan -- for me, it cant be beat...
I pay $5.95 per month to have a phone number -- you don't even have to pay that if you only want to dial out OR if you only want to receive calls from other people using callcentric..
Calls to US lines are currently appx 2 cents per min. If you don't use it, they don't charge you (except of course for the $5.95 to have a phone number). Period.. Calls to overseas numbers don't cost much more...

I simply forward my cell to my call centric number when I am on travel and no one can tell the difference...

Customer Service is AWESOME! This is a 5 Star company that actually cares about its customers.
Most support requests are handled in 24hours or less and most questions are already answered in the support part of their website...

All I can say is I am a happy customer.. Thanks Call Centric!!

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

Callcentric incoming number choices

In addition to the Personal Unlimited numbers ($5.95/mo.) mentioned in the review, Callcentric offers some less expensive choices that are suitable for many applications.

For incoming usage averaging less than ~250 minutes monthly, get a Pay Per Minute number at $1.95/mo. + $0.015 per minute for incoming calls.

If you don't need to port your number, there may be a Dirt Cheap DID available in your area, offering unlimited incoming at $2.95/mo.

If you don't care where the number is (and don't need to port), e.g. you'll only be using it as a forwarding target, or your callers have nationwide calling anyhow, get a Free Phone Number, available in a few NY area codes. No monthly cost and incoming calls are free.

See »www.callcentric.com/did/ for details.

Review by EGeezer See Profile

• Location: Mount Sterling,Madison,OH
Good "Call quality, reliability, features, good value"
Bad "No phone support, live chat would be a nice addition to the support structure"
Overall "Service excellent, lots of features for the money. "

UPDATE DECEMBER 20, 2014;
Callcentric has added 'telemarketer block' (TMB) to their feature set. With TMB, inbound callers to the numbers that you have this feature activated on will hear an automated message which will require them to press a specific key (1-9) in order to complete their call. The phone WILL NOT begin to ring, until AFTER the inbound caller has successfully pressed the requisite key on their phone.

I set up TMB in 'Call treatments', which allows me to block numbers not in my phone books. To date, it's been 100% effective in blocking robodialers.

The call attempts do, however, show up in the call logs so I can check the log for legitimate callers. The 'one time' pests I just leave alone, and if they call again they'll still have to press a number. I add persistent pests to a 'telemarketers' phone book with a call treatment that gives the caller a 'number disconnected' message. I add legitimate callers to my 'contacts' phone book that bypasses TMB.

So far, service remains solid. I do occasionally have voice echoes on calls. I haven't raised the issue with support but if it continues I will open a trouble ticket.

UPDATE JAN 10 2014:
Since my last review, Callcentric has been rock solid except for the major 2012 outage. After that outage, they credited my account based on the days they were down, something I never saw Centurylink, Sprint etc do when their lines were down.

Call quality is good. People can't tell I'm using VOIP. CC has added several features to my plan without adding cost. Presently, they have a free number porting promotion and I plan on porting my land line over as a second VOIP line and purchasing a second telephone adapter as a backup in case of a hardware failure. this will save me about $700 a year.

A nice feature is the one that forwards incoming calls to another number like a cell phone if my internet connection goes down or the Telephone adapter fails or is disconnected. This feature also lets me take my TA on the road with me to vacation homes. Calls will go to my cell phone when I'm on the road and not connected.

NOTE: If you are planning to port your land line and have a home alarm system, be sure that your alarm system will work with your TA and VOIP service, whether it's Callcentric or some other provider.

Updated JAN 26 2011

I signed up on May 15, 2009 for North America Unlimited and DID personal unlimited. The $27.40 monthly includes a $1.50 911 fee. This is a couple of bucks less than ATT Callvantage. However, price is secondary to reliability and quality to me.

I ordered the Linksys PAP2T TA after emailing the Callcentric support to verify support and recommendations. The PAP2T resides behind a NAT router and seems to have no issues with that setup.

Response time to online support questions was usually 1-3 hours and the responder addressed the questions well and accurately. It's somewhat clumsy and time consuming, however, to try to carry on an interactive conversation VIA email and online reporting. A "live chat" feature would be a welcome addition.

When the PAP2T arrived, I registered for the services. The PAP2T setup was fairly straightforward and the Callcentric documentation was accurate and essential to the setup.

Phone quality is excellent and I've had no issues with quality so far. The service has been quite stable, more so than the Road Runner connection.

911 was a problem in the beginning. The caller ID showed a different number at our 911 cal center. However, they are able to call me back automatically using the number on their display so I consider that resolved.

I contacted our local 911 administrative office for permission to test the system. Two possibly critical issues arose. On May 15, I opened trouble tickets with CallCentric to report the issues, and provided contact information to CallCentric for our local 911 administrator so they could work directly with them.

The issues were;

1) Although my complete address is reported correctly to our 911 system, the GPS coordinates sent to our 911 system shows my location approximately 850 miles away, somewhere northwest of Kansas City.

2) The ESN (Emergency Services Number) being provided to our 911 service is incorrect. The ESN is what the 911 operator uses to determine the correct police, fire and EMS to dispatch to the caller's location and this can be a critical factor in quick response or calls going to the wrong responders. .

According to Callcentric support, these issues have been forwarded to their 911 service provider as of 15 May 2009. As of this date (28 May 2009), there has been no resolution of these issues reported to me. CallCentric did update me on 22 MAY 2009 that some testing was to occur earlier that week.

The issue was ultimately resolved by Callcentric working with multiple intermediate carriers as an intermediate carrier's database issue. A check at the 911 dispatching center confirmed that have the address correctly. The location in their GIS system is within 50 feet of my home.

I recommend testing 911 to ensure the information is correct.

Comments:

OptIn

@74.89.65.x

monthly cost?

Just curious what kind of services you have with CC that runs you $27 a month?

Re: monthly cost?

said by OptIn :

Just curious what kind of services you have with CC that runs you $27 a month?

As he says, the North America Residential outbound, and Personal Unlimited (with DID) inbound.

That's suitable for very heavy users. Neither of those plans has a numeric cap.

The large majority of users can consider other options which can cost much less.

Especially on the Outbound plans, the 500 minute and 1000 minute packages are good (and each one includes the 911).
»www.callcentric.com/products/

EGeezer
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
·Callcentric
Actually, it's $31 a month now. I have unlimited service with two inbound DIDs. I added a second line. I now have my Columbus Ohio line as well as my local home line with CC.
"Apparently you can’t hack into a government supercomputer and try and buy uranium without the Department of Homeland Security tattling to your mother."
-- Sheldon Cooper

Re: monthly cost?

How many outbound minutes do you use a month?

Depending on need, the 500 minute or 1000 minute outbound plans may save you money over the fully unlimited outbound.

dhughes248

@108.56.138.x

North American Numbering Plan

I have been a loyal CC member for many years and it always performs flawlessly. I use it as one of my lines on my great OBIHAI 201 and never a hiccup. I utilize their free New York DID as an incoming fax line which I consider off the wall..... Always prompt customer service. However, I wish they would include area codes for Guam and the CNMI (Saipan) as regular US calls as Verizon ad other major carriers. They are part of the U.S. and can be directly dialed with 1+ - but are considered as International. Finally, I wish the Philippines could be one of the anointed countries for special callin g plans and or DIDs. But, I can only assume it is because of government greed there and lack of competition.

Re: North American Numbering Plan

The North American dialing plan includes many countries (US, Canada, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bermuda, Bahamas, etc).

The fact of 1+ dialing does not make it a domestic call.

US areas within the North American Dialing Plan include American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

These areas are NOT considered domestic US calls by VoIP companies with the sometimes exception of Puerto Rico.

And the same applies to most US POTS companies and US mobile (cellular) companies.

Simply put, it costs a certain amount of money for ANY mainstream VoIP company to place calls to Guam and so forth. No one is giving any special breaks to the VoIP companies in this regard.

Verizon POTS may consider Guam as a domestic call, but Verizon Wireless does not....

And the Philippines has been a sovereign country for a long time.

dhughes

@108.56.138.x

Re: North American Numbering Plan

all you're saying is correct.however it is a choice of wireless and voip companies how they build their calls. Personally, it would seem to me that a company like Verizon or AT&T which charge different prices based on whether you are on landline or mobile it just profiteering. Their calls are routed over their same networks.....it's our country have nothing to do with calling agreements. examples are callcentric and other VoIP companies have programs to where you can call many countries at a flat rate, especially in Europe and places like Hong Kong. Long distance is nothing but a come up to you now. I can remember growing up in Arkansas when it was long distance from our town to the next town 12 miles away. But, that next town which is about 15 miles away from Little Rock good call Little Rock without long distance costs. in those days it cost more to call Little Rockthan New York City...because ofLata regulations the phone companies concocted. I'm sixty six years old spent 40 years in the newspaper business, spending a good part of that time covering the telco business. I don't know how old you are, but there was a time phone companies charge extra for touchtone despite the fact it save them money. they charge for call waiting, voicemail any kind of service that you want.this is despite the fact it was all done by computer. Right now when Verizon install FiOS they rip out the copper......but I can't complain because I have 75 and 75 rock solid Internet for a pittance. my landlinecost through cc is less than 10 bucks a month for three lines and when I need to call the Philippines its only 12 cents a minute. if I had a regular landline I would pay for that service and long distance service for a lot more money. Thank You Internet and voip....

2 edits

Re: The silly season

Your further comments have precious little if anything to do with CallCentric, which was nominally the subject of the review.

No other VoIP company AFAIK considers Guam as a US domestic destination, so I don't see why you would expect CallCentric to do so.

I am hard pressed to think of a more esoteric or irrelevant topic, or a more unfair and unrealistic expectation.