Callcentric page on DSLReports

Review by XANAVirus See Profile

• Location: Lavalette,Wayne,WV
Good "Very reliable, with a good set of features and great call quality. Awesome support."
Bad "No current problems."
Overall "Stable, good feature set, call quality excellent, support fantastic. Recommended!"

I'm updating my review since it is rather out-of-date.

As of today, Callcentric continues to be my number one choice of provider for VoIP service. I still haven't yet moved my main phone-line or family business lines to them yet but am positive that will be in our future.

When I established service, I also purchased a Linksys PAP2T-NA, and have continuously used that device throughout the entirety of my service.
Now though, I expanded my use of service by installing Android program Zoiper and purchasing a server to run at home and installing Asterisk there, all of which has been working fantastically even over +100ms latency VPN connections.

Call quality remains as stable as ever, no dropouts or missed packets; no out-of-order packets and voice is instantaneous to hear and be heard.
Outgoing calls work as great and cheap as they always have, being less than 2 cents a minute under my Pay-per-Call plan. My service costs between $3 to $5 a month, which a $40 one time charge will pay for two years of service.

I get an email every couple of years to remind me to refill my account, and then after that I don't even have to think about it. There are no taxes or fees so I pay exactly what the service costs me in usage and nothing more.

Incoming calls work great, and now that I have fixed an issue I was having (more on that a little further down), they are good quality with no dropouts or missed calls. I pay for one DID, which is the cheapest $1.95 plan available, and get one free iNum DID (free because iNum numbers are always free, not because of any promo).

From the completely free NY-only DID to my paid DID, the only time I've had a missed call is when my own service goes down and no fault of Callcentric to deliver its promises. I signed up before the free NY DID came about so I never had one, but I hear it works just as good as a paid DID.

Set up of my Linksys PAP2T-NA was flawless, but as I am one of those who loves to set settings I did have some problems in the beginning though those are all gone. A few months I bought myself a server to run several virtual machines on, one of which is my new Asterisk PBX.

Callcentric includes on their website great how-tos for a variety of products including the complex PBX I am currently using. The rest of the website is snappy and there are no broken pages - even the somewhat-hidden directory you can be listed in works.

Regarding their support services, they are absolutely fantastic.
Having been with them for two years now, every single trouble ticket I've opened with them has reached a satisfactory resolution: I have not had one ticket where it was improperly closed.
I also have not had one ticket that involved multiple 'possible' solutions either; every ticket had one resolution that definitely worked.

Their response time is often mentioned being at 30 minutes or sometimes slightly less, even during weekend hours.
I concur with this, I have opened tickets at odd hours or late at night and have had a resolved ticket (not just a response, but a working solution) by the next morning or early evening.

Even for debugging my PBX configuration, they show an understanding of the question far better than that showed by a hypothetical phone support, and you would not expect that year-over-year consistency for trouble-ticket support.

My most recent trouble was that I was completely unable to get incoming calls to be picked up so we could talk - I could see the calls but not answer as I would hear no sound and then hang up. I opened a ticket since I could find no issue with my config; the first thing they asked was for times and dates of the non-working calls.

I provided the info and then they actually showed me a trace of the specific incoming call (having been a few days before the ticket was opened) and then showed me the actual traffic being sent by my PBX - normally invisible unless you run Wireshark or similar software that I hadn't even thought to try yet.
Shortly, they diagnosed that I was sending an extra header that didn't need to be sent and thus my calls were being dropped as I answered them.

What the clincher was that they provided a resolution of 'edit X config and add these certain Y lines here at Z point, then reload' and when I did that it actually solved the problem (and I only submitted the ticket that early evening too, and an answer was had by nighttime the same day).

They even stated they were extremely confident that my issue was with this one header being sent and nothing else, and that if their solution possibly didn't work they offered to look at my specific configuration for me. (As for me, I was all ready to remove my whole configuration and start from scratch.)

In short, I had a complete resolution one hour after submission and it was extremely confident that the solution was the right one, even though the problem was not understandable unless you bothered to capture and read everything that the two servers said in conversation.

I've always been happy with the level of support, even though they don't provide phone support. They do have email support, and I'm sure it's just as good as the website support, but everyone I know and myself probably all use the website anyway.

All-in-all, I definitely believe I made the best choice out of all the most-reviewed and most-discussed providers out there. I'm not disappointed in any of it, and believe most others would agree that it has been worth it.

member for 2.4 years, 730 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

1 recommendation

"From Order to Live"

I don't know what that means.

The 90 days I inputted meant that I have been using it for 90 days.
Is this what it means?

Yes, I've been using Callcentric for 90 days now.

EDIT: I changed a part of my review having now figured out what that means.
RogerD

join:2008-07-15
Sunnyvale, CA
·Callcentric

Communication companies should know how to communicate!

Having been in the business, I know redundant data centers are tough to maintain, especially when you talk about webservers and PTSN connections.

I found the Twitter feed to be frustrating as I get different responses when I'm logged in and when I'm not. Actually more tweets for @CallCentric appeared when I was NOT logged in!

Having a redundant website that could at least inform users there is an issue and some means of intercepting inbound calls with an announcement the service was down would have been a lot better than nothing at all.

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

1 recommendation

Re: Communication companies should know how to communicate!

Why would having a redundant website that could inform people about issues and having calls intercepted telling you the service is offline be better than nothing at all?

Technically, it's still nothing since it does not accomplish anything - it does not lead to a solution.

It's simply a placebo effect, that makes you feel that they're doing something.

The reality is that if the service hadn't been down such a website and redirection would be unneeded.

Please, explain to me your need for the previously mentioned things.

Thanks for the update.

I agree... CallCentric does a fine job of completing calls at a reasonable price.

There's other very tempting offers out there particularly from upstarts.

Although not the cheapest, CallCentric is very affordable, and among the cleanest setups I've seen for a BYOD.

Despite a few very tempting offers, I've kept my office, and many other clients offices and homes with CallCentric.

Review by Ole Juul See Profile

• Location: Coalmont,BC
Good "Sound and service"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "I've got first class telephone service"

While researching about how to get a free phone number and what device and service to buy, this forum kept coming up in my results. I quickly became clear that Callcentric had a good reputation and was generally recommended by people here, who I could tell were mostly very knowledgeable about VoIP. Reading around some more, it also became clear that the PAP2 was an old reliable standby. So, I went to the Callcentric site and signed up for a free number. That cost nothing. Then I went on eBay and ordered a PAP2 for $24 including shipping. I got the genuine device, but see note below. It arrived about three weeks later.

In the meanwhile, I was trying to set up my e911 address on Callcentric. I was so green that I didn't yet realize that I had to purchase an outgoing service before that would be relevant, so it would not work on the web site yet. I opened a trouble ticket to sort it out, and within a short while got a response saying that they had put in the address by hand and all should be good now. I still hadn't paid them a penny! I thought that was pretty good service for free. Anyway, my ATA eventually arrived, and all I had to do was pick the appropriate device on the Callcentric device support page and fill in the corresponding fields on the PAP2. To my utter delight, less that fifteen minutes later I could make a call. I still remember the feeling of excitement when I first herd the dial tone on the phone I had plugged in. My first VoIP dial tone!

The reason I wanted a free number was basically so that I could check out VoIP and see what it could do for me, as well as (hopefully) have a number in my name. I'm currently not the account holder of the landline in this house. After a little while it became clear that the sound and reliability of my Callcentric phone was as good, or better than, my landline. In fact my landline has had several years of background noise and poor sound quality, as well as some weeks out of service here and there. I am extremely pleased that for me VoIP is superior. Before trying it, I had no faith that it would be much good because I am on a rural wireless connection.

Having not yet seen even the slightest glitch, I then purchased a DID (phone number) in the city of my choice. Now I have the "pay per call" plan which charges me just under 2 cents per minute within North America and most of western Europe. A little arithmetic made it clear that no incumbent Telco offers anything near that. With the landline, if you don't make a single call, you still get a big bill - you do the math. Anyway, the DID costs me $5.95 per month, and the mandatory e911 charge is $1.50. Total $7.45 with as yet an unknown amount of minutes. We'll see how it goes. I don't have a reason to use this very much yet (the landline isn't going away) but all out-of-town calls are going to be cheaper so I will be using it more and more. I calculate that if this replaced the landline, it would cost around $15 to $20 per month. Callcentric however, does not provide numbers in my area, and so those poor souls who have to pay extra for calling that mythical "long distance" because they have POTS accounts, would not like it. This is absolutely no problem for my goal of having a second number in my own name. For city folks in North America, Callcentric probably does have a local number for you.

The experience has been very positive. Callcentric service is very good, so I expect that any problem I could possibly have in the future will get sorted out in a timely manner. The sound and reliability has also been flawless - and I'm in Canada and on the opposite coast from them too. Perhaps someone less adventurous than me will not like all the options that Callcentric offers, but I can tell you that the setup is quick and easy. There is no need to do anything after that in order to keep the service going - except of course, pay for it.

In case anybody is interested, here is what I now have set up with them.

1/ One phone number as my regular, personal, number. It rings a phone by my computer for 20 seconds, if I don't get it, it then rings the landline and I can get it on any of the phones in the house.

2/ One free phone number. That rings for 30 seconds, then goes to voice mail. I use that one for official places where I don't really want to talk with them, but want to know if they called. (eg. WHOIS records)

3/ One other free phone number. That goes directly to voice mail, so someone can leave a message night or day, and I will see the light blinking on the phone when I get there.

I would like to point out that there are a lot of free services from CC. Basically, they don't charge for anything other than making calls. They also don't have "bundles" and "plans" and "marketing games" and things to obscure the real value and price. What you see is what you get. I'd also like to point out that this forum is a tremendous resource, and that people here know a lot about CC, and that CC also has a presence here. You can't go wrong.

PS: If someone wants a PAP2, please do a web search to figure out how to get the genuine device. I suspect though, that it is getting a bit old and that there are probably better choices out there for only a few more dollars.

PPS: I am new to VoIP, so I cannot compare related services. That is why I had to vote CC "best" in all categories. I would have uses a lower rating if there had been any problem or fault in any way, but there hasn't been after a month and a half. I can only say that in my case, the sound quality, support, and reliability, is superior to the POTS service offered in my area.

UPDATE:

It's been a year now and I'm still happy with Callcentric. In that time there have been a few minor glitches though. One is that a couple of calls have been a little garbled, though not to the point where they were not comprehensible. I understand that this is likely from cell phone connections which are prone to this, but mention it so as to be truthful and remind readers that it's not a perfect world. Apart from those very few flawed calls, the rest have been high quality. Another problem has been with CNAM. I like to have recipients of my calls see my name on their display. Apparently there can be a problem with protocol compatibility between US and Canadian providers. In any case, Callcentric was able to fix the problem when I pointed it out.

Also, I've since added a second number. Originally I had a free NY number in addition to my paid DID. When I lost it due to my negligence in maintaining it, CC simply gave me the same number back when I requested it. Anyway, I decided that I didn't want that to happen again and was happy that they could convert that number to a Pay Per Minute account which is only $1.95/mo.

One thing I would note at this point, is that the few interactions with them that I've had so far have been very good. I am particularly impressed with their ability to read all of my writing and respond to all of it clearly. To some this may seem obvious, but I've noticed that not all support has this high level of linguistic understanding.

member for 1.2 years, 497 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Iscream
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

Please check again CC coverage of Canada soon

Thank you for the exciting and detailed feedback!

Regarding your local [rural] coverage - please check in again within a few days (literally). Callcentric will be greatly expanding its coverage of Canadian rural and northern territories. I have good basis to believe that your local village will be covered too.

Speaking of PAP2 - it's sure a good device, but unfortunately, Cisco has dropped its support of PAP2 many years ago. The firmware lacks many important features compared to newer devices (T.38 fax support is one of them, but there are many more related to registration and stability).

On another hand - even a genuine, OEM hardware gets older even when not in use, totally new, while waiting on shelves to be sold.

Electronic equipment may go out of order without regard of being used or not (on occasions - especially, when was not used at all) - because printed boards may have hidden tensions which may break tiny soldered connections, electrolytic capacitors get dry thus lose their characteristics, etc. As of today - PAP2 is 10 years old device. It used to be a great device, but today it often causes "unexpected" jokes to its owners. It may lose registration by itself. It may drop a call in the middle. It may induce static to conversations. A power cycling may help, but not for long.

I'm aware of 100s cases when [aging] PAP2 was a cause of major frustrations for its owners (including myself). It may even be a cause of changing service provider with negative feelings toward former one. My recommendation - when/if time and budget permit, please get something newer.

B/w - the same disclaimer goes toward another great legacy device - Grandstream's HTx86/HTx87. Just beware.

Thank you!

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Good features, good pricing, good support, works great!"
Overall "Excellent product for those wish to provide their own ATA/SoftPhone."

·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
7/8/14--- Just posting my 6 month update. Nothing has changed. I continue to experience rock stable performance with a good feature set.

I am still hoping for Texting capability and would also find it useful to be able to upload personalized Recordings which I could assign as focused greetings/messages for incoming calls based on CallerID.

1/1/14---

I continue to enjoy the CC offering ... with rock stable performance.

1) Good choice of plans with no extra charges except for the PAYG plan's E911 service (and sales tax on all plans for those showing a New York billing address).

2) Even easier site negotiation since the website up-spiff.

3) Excellent feature set (although, for my personal needs, I am still awaiting availability of SMS Texting).

4) Excellent tutorials on the website to help newbies setup an iPhone, SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

5) Excellent call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from one's cable modem to the ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

6) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

7) Awesome tech support via my occasional Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

8) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

7/9/13---

CC continues to be among the best of the best ... especially with the recent additions (e.g., sub-accounts) to its service. The website is one of the easiest to negotiate. The day to day service is rock solid. I'm eagerly awaiting an SMS texting feature. (Not everyone wants or uses SMS over VoIP ... but I do.)

11/30/12---

Wow!!! CC has been through hell ... and back ... back with a vengeance. The recent double-trouble events ... overwhelming DDoS attacks almost immediately admixed with the devastating results of Hurricane Sandy ... created chaos and a bit of doubt (and hand wringing) among some of CC's users (and posters in the BBR Forums). However, CC has come through with flying colors ... including a very comprehensive albeit highly technical diary of events and responses to these events posted by Iscream (a CC insider).

All aspects of CallCentric's VoIP product and service continue to shine.

5/25/12---

Semi-annual update: CC continue to deserve its position at the top of the review list ... continuing to provide excellent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

11/27/11---

Time for a semi-annual update to report that my appraisal of the CC product and service continues to score 100% across the board.

4/29/11---

CC has continues to maintain its position at the top of the review list. It certainly deserves that rating ... continuing to provide magnificent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

1/30/11 ---

Quick update ... maintaining by ongoing ratings across the board. A host of new and improved features have recently been implemented by CC.

12/15/10 ---

End of year update: CallCentric continues to perform perfectly in all areas ... as one of my two PAYG providers*. I've not experienced a single hiccough since early 2009 (an incoming fax issue that apparently affected all customers and the problem was fixed in under two hours).

Although my monthly costs are a tad higher than my other PAYG provider, I am still getting full value. I maintain a CC account (and the "other" PAYG service) on each of my several 2-line PAP2T-NAs at various locations ... essentially protecting against server or connection downtime not to mention a catastrophic event (i.e., bankruptcy ala SunRocket).

If I were forced to select my choice for the most fiscally stable VoIP provider that will survive well into the future, it would have to be CC ... by a gnat's whisker over a few others.

* Note: I do have other barely used PAYG providers ... but these are just for fun and experimentation.

3/28/2010 ---

This update is sort of mandated by my recent updates to (and an addtion of) my three other main VoIP providers. I continue to delight in every aspect of the CallCentric product offering ... reliability, quality, support, features and value. Nothing has changed. There may be a feature or two that might be required by others ... but my needs are being met.

12/31/2009 ---

End of year update. I've not had a single issue since my last update, still using multiple CC accounts for a variety of end uses.

3/5/2009 ---

CallCentric continues to work perfectly ... and amaze me. I recently ported in a DID to an additional CC account (one of several), this one specifically for use as a dedicated incoming fax line which delivers faxes as email attachments. I found that wrong numbers or hang-ups to my fax-DID resulted in an automated email sent with an essentially empty attachment. This was annoying because, with my BlackBerry, I needed to open the email and then click thru to see the faxed attachment ... a waste of time when the fax document was blank.

On the urging of another BBR poster around dinnertime today, I opened a ticket with CC's support people. Within 9 ... yes 9 ... minutes I received an initial response reporting that they were able to duplicate/confirm the "problem" ... and 1 hour 22 minutes later I received a follow-up message indicating the problem has been rectified.

06/17/2008 ---

This is my first review of the CallCentric offering -- even though I've had three accounts at three different locations for well over 6 months. Here's my take on each of the rated categories:

1) Easy to negotiate website --- with all the bells and whistles seen with more expensive providers.

2) Excellent tutorials on the website to help noobies setup SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

3) Good call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from my cablemodem to my ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

4) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

5) Awesome tech support via Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

6) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

By the way, CC has made it very easy to port numbers in --- although they do charge a one-time $25 fee.

Lastly, CC is the only one of the many providers to whom I subscribe that works flawlessly with my PAP2T-NA and Comcast Cablemodem in my Boca Raton FL home.

Comments:

VexorgTR

·Clear Wireless

What it does.... it does quite well.

We could argue that there are providers that do more and or cost less.... but CallCentric's prices are competitive, and the setup is pretty cut and dry. It works well for many client's home and small office needs.

Post hurricane, CallCentric has had a very good run.

Review by PX Eliezer See Profile

• Location: Outland
Good "Great reliability, usability, flexibility, quality, and value."
Bad "IVR in development, will be a welcome addition."
Overall "Nobody does it better...."

·callwithus
I've been using CallCentric for both my home and business for several years.

The darn thing just works, I never have to think about it.

It is very easy to set up, has great customer support, highly usable website with extensive documentation, excellent billing software, and good customer security.

I use one line with their inbound fax server, and that works well too.

Security measures include (among others) the ability to enable/disable outbound calls by country (they were first with that), and the option of IP address whitelist verification for your equipment.

There is a wide variety of inbound and outbound calling options (chosen individually) including both flat-rate and PAYG plans each way. Free unlimited DID's are even available for metro NY areas.

There are no extra fees other than NY sales tax for NY residents, and 911 fee (but with a flat-rate outbound calling plan 911 is bundled in)

Extensive support is provided for SIP URI calling, iNum, and SipBroker.

Call Treatments are easy to use and very flexible.

One limiting factor had been the lack of subaccounts, but CallCentric introduced this functionality (which they call Extensions) in May 2013. This will be useful for many subscribers. Multiple mailboxes per account also available.

CallCentric has extensive switches and interconnect facilities which they own and manage, based in New York. That's why they are so good and so reliable over the long term. However, this did lead to a series of events which caused 2 days of failure in the 2012 Hurricane Sandy disaster as multiple backup measures did not work. There are some customers who prefer good providers with multi-city remote servers instead, and certainly those customers will likely choose such providers.

My experience with CallCentric has been excellent and I highly recommend them.

member for 1.3 years, 847 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

I'm Happy Too

I almost think the review is a bit too glowing.

CC's had a great run post hurricane. I see many tech help posts on this board, and very few for CC... Post hurricane that is.

I think CC is on the right track and I hope their new features serve everyone well.
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland

Re: I'm Happy Too

said by VexorgTR:

I hope so too, and in any large service upgrade there are bound to be some gremlins. So I'll anticipate that in advance. If there are a couple of rough days---I say if---that would be worth it.

And---in the same sense that Han Solo said "He's only a wookie", I would of course acknowledge, "It's only VoIP".

But I depend on these guys to keep my wife happy at home, and to keep everything running at my office. I also depend on them for me to be able to receive some very crucial family phone calls.

And they don't let me down.

Review by Goggan See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "So far so good"
Bad "So far so good"
Overall "So far so good"

I switched to Callcentric because I rarely see it mentioned here as having a problem and because the reviews of it are almost always favourable, and because it has a good number of bells and whistles.

It is a bit expensive compared to others, but that is ok if they can deliver good results.

It was a bit disappointing to have two outgoing calls drop, but other than those glitches, the service has been good. The one question I asked support was answered quickly and pertinently.

Two features I like are the 'Enter 1' to stop robo-calls, and the answer confirmation when doing a simultaneous ring to a cellphone. For the first time, I can use the cellphone as if its number is that of my home phone.

Comments:

Review by mrdialup See Profile

• Location: Churchville,Harford,MD
Good "Best Value For The Money - From Penny Pincher to Spend Thrift"
Bad "No online fax transmission :("
Overall "My first service provider for VOIP and it was the right choice."

I've tried a good many VOIP providers and Callcentric remains my favorite. From really good reliability to great tech support to a generous offering of free services I have no complaints at all about them. My favorite features: 1) HD Voice 2)Multiple extensions on one account 3) Online fax receipt 4) DID's from about every exchange you want and 5) Reasonable pricing. Not that CC's competitors are shabby, it's just for me they have the perfect mix of features, expand ability and costs of anyone else I have tried.

Comments:

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Excellent handling of incoming calls"
Overall "Gold standard of Voip"

·localphone.com
·RCN CABLE
·callwithus
NYC Aug 2012. This is a review of Callcentric (CC). CC's handling of incoming calls is terrific.

I have a PSTN phone but I have turned off the ringer and told everybody to call me on the CC phone. I have one of CC's free 646 NY area code DID's for all incoming calls. I have a second Voip phone with a Callwithus (CWU) account but it does not receive incoming calls.

I am happy with CC's reliability, technical support etc but what I like best is their "Call Treatments", a sophisticated facility which gives me full control to determine how an incoming call is treated. My PSTN provider could also provide these features but some features would each cost about $4 per month. With Call Treatments I have allowed friends listed in my CC phone book to call me. In the phone book I can associate a name with the number so when they do call, the system identifies the person's name. But everybody else gets a busy signal and the house is so peaceful without annoying calls from telemarketers. If the CC phone is not working, say an internet or power outage, then the call goes to voicemail. A call treatment ensures that no phones ring on the weekend.

My favorite call treatment is call forward busy line. When I am on a call with one person, then if somebody else calls at the same time the new call is Sip forwarded from the CC phone to the CWU phone. But this feature can only work so long as the phone with the call treatment is registered with CC.

I have three phones enabled to make outgoing calls; a PSTN phone and two Voip phones. One Voip phone is registered with CC and the other Voip phone is registered with CWU. Generally I use my PSTN phone for my outgoing calls and I do not make many outgoing Voip calls. CC charge 2 cents per minute for outgoing calls PAYG. CWU, however, charge only 1 cent per minute. The quality of outgoing CC calls and CWU calls are both good. With permission of my wife I may discontinue the PSTN phone and then I will think about switching to CC's North America 500. This plan costs $7 per month for 500 minutes and it includes 911 coverage. But I will still keep CWU service as backup.

So long as I have my PSTN phone I don't want or need 911 service from a Voip phone. Obviously CC have to abide by FCC regulations. But they are fastidious about 911 coverage even though they make no profit out of this. CWU, however, flatly do not provide 911 coverage.

I urge anybody new to Voip to check out CC. You can try out their Freedom plan which allows free calls to people within the CC network. If you have a relative overseas then you can both sign up to a free CC account and make free calls to each other. With two years' experience I can only repeat, which other DSLR reviewers say, that CC is the gold standard of Voip.

Dec 7 2012. Back to normal after DDOS attacks and Hurricane Sandy.

May 10 2013. Since Sandy, Callcentric service has been solid. They recently added sub accounts or extensions. Many DSLR readers have greeted this with enthusiasm. As for me, Simultaneous Ringing is all I need. What I am enthusiastic about is that Callcentric is in the process of installing its own natural gas based power generator. Which means that service will be even more reliable.

NYC Nov 25 2013. Still providing reliable service.

NYC Dec 2013. They are now providing free porting in of US DIDs. They should have done this sooner; its too late for me.

NYC March 31 2014. Still providing reliable service. To repeat something I mentioned earlier, Callcentric has a call treatment for a busy line. If I am on the phone with one caller and somebody else calls at the same time, then the new call can be directed to another phone. In fact one can even specify that, for this class of caller, the call is to be directed to voicemail; but for that class of caller, the call is to be directed to another phone. There are Voip providers that provide cheaper calls but what is most important to me is Callcentric's call treatment (a) that the phone will only ring if the caller is whitelisted and (b) that I will not miss a call because the line was busy.

Comments:

Review by mwoodj See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Great price, quality, and support"
Overall "VoIP done right"

I switched my home phone to VoIP almost 10 years ago. I used Lingo for most of those years. Call quality was fine and I had no complaints about their support services when I had to use them. Over the years though the price of their service kept rising while they continued to advertise the same plan rates. They added many fees and "taxes" and bumped the cost of them from time to time. In the end I was paying twice what they advertised for the plan. I decided it was time to move on.

As I researched current VoIP companies Callcentric came up a lot. The service is highly praised and customers shared copies of their bills to verify that the advertised rates were exactly what they were billed. I have a few ATA's as well as an Asterisk server so a BYOD service seemed like a good option for me. When you sign up for Callcentric you pick an incoming plan and an outgoing plan. I decided to give it a shot and I ordered my plans in July 2013. After reviewing months of Lingo bills I determined that I did not need an unlimited outgoing plan as I was only using a couple hundred minutes even during the busiest months. I ordered the "North America 500" outgoing plan which provides 500 minutes a month to any number in North America. The rate is $6.95. For my incoming plan I selected "Personal Unlimited" which is $5.95 a month. That comes out to a monthly bill of $12.90. This seemed almost too good to be true compared to my previous bill of almost $50 a month. I had to pay a one time "911 Cost Recovery Fee" of $3 as well as similar one time fees to setup the plans. The fee to port my number was $25.00. The porting happened pretty quickly. When I received my first bill I was very happy. It only had three items on it: the incoming plan, the outgoing plan, and the total. The total was exactly the sum of the two plans and there were no added fees or taxes whatsoever. This is exactly how it should be.

The device that I decided to use is a pretty old, but well know, ATA I have had sitting around: the Cisco ATA 186. When I first connected it I had some issues. I decided some of the issues were likely due to the old firmware installed on the device. Once I updated it a lot of the problems went away and it also had a completely new interface that was much nicer and more modern than the old one. I still had a few issues so I contacted support through their website. They responded by e-mail in less than an hour. We emailed back and forth a few times and each response was very timely. They helped to resolve all of my issues and my device has been working without issue. All interactions with their support team have been pleasant and they are very knowledgeable. They seem to care very much about the service they offer, the reputation of their company, and the satisfaction of their customers.

Call quality is excellent. Voices sound natural, clear, and there is no obvious digital noise. The voicemail system provides a number of convenient options including having all voicemails delivered to one or more e-mail addresses. Voicemail can be checked and managed through the website so there is no need to fumble through menus with the phone. They provide all of the features you would expect from a VoIP service such as robust call forwarding configurations and anonymous call rejection. My favorite feature is call treatments. This allows you to configure unique behavior when a call comes in from a particular number or a group of numbers matching some criteria. Options include sending the call directly to voicemail, forwarding to another number, and (my favorite option) playing a standard error message including a "number disconnected" error. When I get a telemarketer or scam call I add a call treatment and send them to the "number disconnected" error. Usually they will only call back one time before stopping altogether but if they don't they will just get that error and I don't have to be bothered. It is a great feature that I happily take advantage of.

Callcentric serves as a model to service providers. They offer customers flexibility to tune the service to their needs and pay a price that matches their usage. They are ready and able to help the customer with any technical issues they may have even with the plethora of possible devices the customer may be attempting to use. They are courteous and quick to respond. Their website is clear, well laid out, and easy to use when configuring features or viewing reports. The service is reliable and high quality. Callcentric is VoIP done right.

member for 12.7 years, 984 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

Yeah... I like em too...

Although it doesn't have a ton of whistles and bells, CallCentric works... good call quality, quick answers.....

Makes a good trunk for a PBX in a smaller office or for a residence.

Review by garys_2k See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "Call quality, service response, prices, call treatments"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Way to go! Still thumbs up after DDoS and Sandy."

Update Mar-2014
No issues, still great service, just to update the cost downward since we're on PAYGo and we're not using the phone so much.

Update Sep-2013
Excellent service, as expected, ever since the Hurricane Sandy incident. They've added some major new features, no cost increases, and reliability has been back to 100%. It's been many months since they've had problems and I don't even give my phone service a second thought. I still continue to HIGHLY recommend them!

Update Nov-2012:
Callcentric withstood some major challenges over the past 60 days, a blistering DDoS attack on their border controllers and a complete loss of power at their data center as a result of hurricane Sandy's flooding.

They managed the DDoS attack by adding hardware and new gateways (based on ports communicated via SRV records) as the attack proceeded. I was able to maintain service by registering with Callwithus, a competitor, and having inbound calls sip-forwarded there. I used Callwithus as an outbound provider during that time, as they allow the user to set their outbound CID. I set mine to my number registered as my DID line at Callcentric and inbound and outbound calling was back to normal.

The data center power outage was more problematic. Service and their websites were down for about four days -- I could still make calls via Callwithus but no incoming calls could be received. I'm willing to cut them slack from this 100 year event (more likely a 200+ year event), so while inconvenient (this is a home phone, backed up with cell phones) it didn't cause any lasting issues.

Update May-2012:
Still the very best choice (IMHO) for home VOIP I've heard of. I wish I'd started with CC to begin with, no regrets at all. Crystal clear, totally reliable and plenty of flexibility.

Update 1-Aug-2011:
This is getting boring, but that's in a really good way! I recently used the call treatments (sort of a small scale PBX-ish thing) to reroute some incoming calls from a particular number -- it worked great! This also diverts all incoming toll-free calls to voice mail.

So, another bunch of months and still nothing ugly. The 5/5 rating remains...

Update 10-March-2011:
Awesome provider, that's all I can say. NO issues,ever, improved features and totally reliable. Again, the wife no longer has to wonder how the calls will go through, they just DO. I have honestly forgotten that, when the phone rings, that the Internet is involved.

Still impressed with their almost complete lack of "issues" entries in the VOIP Tech Chat forum. Some providers seem to make up most of the posts dealing with "Incoming Calls Ring Busy" or "Which Server Should I Use Now?" type of issues. We needed a no-drama, will work like a telephone provider and absolutely have that with Callcentric.

Update 9-Dec-2010:
Still no issues, Wife Acceptance Factor is high. She has reported OCCASIONAL audio glitches but nothing that has interrupted a conversation. The phone just works, no drama, and we're enjoying the quality. I did drop the Dirt Cheap DID I'd kept as a backup incoming number, but not because of service issues. It's still GREAT!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

My port out from Future Nine was scheduled for 1-Nov-10 and it took place right on schedule. Call treatments have been great to cut out most all of the political BS calls we've been getting, and the phone book feature allows me to CNAM to the cell phone calls we get.

CC's reputation is about the best there is, it's not THE least expensive but certainly in the running (top few). For my use, about 400 minutes in and out per month, it's a wonderful deal.

I'll be back with an update after a few more weeks, but having seen all of the other reviews and forum posts about CC I strongly suspect I'll have a very smooth ride.

Comments:

Review by Sly See Profile

• Location: Johnson City,Washington,TN
Good "Everything works, wonderful website, inexpensive, features"
Bad "unknown"
Overall "I can't say enough good about them"

I've been with Callcentric for a few months now after leaving Packet8. Been with VoIP since 2003 so I've been through a lot of growing pains... Of all the problems I thought were inherent with VoIP (missed calls, dropped packets, one way audio), I have NONE of them with Callcentric. I feel very comfortable using the service. I have not yet had a call that sounded bad or dropped out in the middle of the conversation. Simply put, it's as reliable as POTS if not more...

I do wish they had call roaming or "follow me/ find me". I liked this feature with Packet8. If I was unavailable to get a call, then it would forward to my cell phone instead of voicemail.

I do love their call treatments section. You can do just about anything... I have mine set so that numbers I want to block get a "disconnected" message. I also send all anonymous calls to voice mail. If the network is down and my phone is unregistered, I have calls go to my cell... You can't get this kind of fall back with POTS.

I am extremely impressed with their web site. Very easy to use and self explanatory. I have had no problems with billing and the email notifications they send out to notify when you account balance is low is nice too.

I don't really like giving all 5 stars in a review but Callcentric gives me no choice. I really have to rate them a perfect 5 stars because they really haven't given me a reason not to... Just work on the call roaming guys....

[update] It's been awhile since I updated. Since my first posting Callcentric has added the features I wanted. I can now do call hunting and I have a fallback option to another number in case my VoIP line goes down. This is simply the most trouble free, flawless phone system I have ever had. It doesn't need any maintenance or periodic resets to keep working. It just works... I ported an old number in about 6 months ago when I dropped my cell phone service. So now I get to park my cell phone number with Callcentric for about $2/month and whenever I decide to get another cell phone, I will still have that number available for transfer.

I don't know when the last time I had to contact support. It's been a year or two... I just really don't have any problems with this service. A+.

[update] I've been with Callcentric for a few years now and I stand by my belief that they are one of the best phone providers out there. They have continued to add new features, maintain reliable service and keep their prices low and their customer service high. Still one of the best.

member for 10.4 years, 4809 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Prof_Tech

join:2007-06-30
Quincy, IL

Callcentric

I also would give Callcentric good reviews. I used them for about 3 years. Have you looked at the Call Treatments page recently? I think you can do "Follow-Me", you might have to choose either follow me or voice mail.