Callcentric page on DSLReports

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Excellent handling of incoming calls"
Overall "Gold standard of Voip"

·localphone.com
·RCN CABLE
·callwithus
NYC Aug 2012. This is a review of Callcentric (CC). CC's handling of incoming calls is terrific.

I have a PSTN phone but I have turned off the ringer and told everybody to call me on the CC phone. I have one of CC's free 646 NY area code DID's for all incoming calls. I have a second Voip phone with a Callwithus (CWU) account but it does not receive incoming calls.

I am happy with CC's reliability, technical support etc but what I like best is their "Call Treatments", a sophisticated facility which gives me full control to determine how an incoming call is treated. My PSTN provider could also provide these features but some features would each cost about $4 per month. With Call Treatments I have allowed friends listed in my CC phone book to call me. In the phone book I can associate a name with the number so when they do call, the system identifies the person's name. But everybody else gets a busy signal and the house is so peaceful without annoying calls from telemarketers. If the CC phone is not working, say an internet or power outage, then the call goes to voicemail. A call treatment ensures that no phones ring on the weekend.

My favorite call treatment is call forward busy line. When I am on a call with one person, then if somebody else calls at the same time the new call is Sip forwarded from the CC phone to the CWU phone. But this feature can only work so long as the phone with the call treatment is registered with CC.

I have three phones enabled to make outgoing calls; a PSTN phone and two Voip phones. One Voip phone is registered with CC and the other Voip phone is registered with CWU. Generally I use my PSTN phone for my outgoing calls and I do not make many outgoing Voip calls. CC charge 2 cents per minute for outgoing calls PAYG. CWU, however, charge only 1 cent per minute. The quality of outgoing CC calls and CWU calls are both good. With permission of my wife I may discontinue the PSTN phone and then I will think about switching to CC's North America 500. This plan costs $7 per month for 500 minutes and it includes 911 coverage. But I will still keep CWU service as backup.

So long as I have my PSTN phone I don't want or need 911 service from a Voip phone. Obviously CC have to abide by FCC regulations. But they are fastidious about 911 coverage even though they make no profit out of this. CWU, however, flatly do not provide 911 coverage.

I urge anybody new to Voip to check out CC. You can try out their Freedom plan which allows free calls to people within the CC network. If you have a relative overseas then you can both sign up to a free CC account and make free calls to each other. With two years' experience I can only repeat, which other DSLR reviewers say, that CC is the gold standard of Voip.

Dec 7 2012. Back to normal after DDOS attacks and Hurricane Sandy.

May 10 2013. Since Sandy, Callcentric service has been solid. They recently added sub accounts or extensions. Many DSLR readers have greeted this with enthusiasm. As for me, Simultaneous Ringing is all I need. What I am enthusiastic about is that Callcentric is in the process of installing its own natural gas based power generator. Which means that service will be even more reliable.

NYC Nov 25 2013. Still providing reliable service.

NYC Dec 2013. They are now providing free porting in of US DIDs. They should have done this sooner; its too late for me.

NYC March 31 2014. Still providing reliable service. To repeat something I mentioned earlier, Callcentric has a call treatment for a busy line. If I am on the phone with one caller and somebody else calls at the same time, then the new call can be directed to another phone. In fact one can even specify that, for this class of caller, the call is to be directed to voicemail; but for that class of caller, the call is to be directed to another phone. There are Voip providers that provide cheaper calls but what is most important to me is Callcentric's call treatment (a) that the phone will only ring if the caller is whitelisted and (b) that I will not miss a call because the line was busy.

Comments:

Review by mwoodj See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Great price, quality, and support"
Overall "VoIP done right"

I switched my home phone to VoIP almost 10 years ago. I used Lingo for most of those years. Call quality was fine and I had no complaints about their support services when I had to use them. Over the years though the price of their service kept rising while they continued to advertise the same plan rates. They added many fees and "taxes" and bumped the cost of them from time to time. In the end I was paying twice what they advertised for the plan. I decided it was time to move on.

As I researched current VoIP companies Callcentric came up a lot. The service is highly praised and customers shared copies of their bills to verify that the advertised rates were exactly what they were billed. I have a few ATA's as well as an Asterisk server so a BYOD service seemed like a good option for me. When you sign up for Callcentric you pick an incoming plan and an outgoing plan. I decided to give it a shot and I ordered my plans in July 2013. After reviewing months of Lingo bills I determined that I did not need an unlimited outgoing plan as I was only using a couple hundred minutes even during the busiest months. I ordered the "North America 500" outgoing plan which provides 500 minutes a month to any number in North America. The rate is $6.95. For my incoming plan I selected "Personal Unlimited" which is $5.95 a month. That comes out to a monthly bill of $12.90. This seemed almost too good to be true compared to my previous bill of almost $50 a month. I had to pay a one time "911 Cost Recovery Fee" of $3 as well as similar one time fees to setup the plans. The fee to port my number was $25.00. The porting happened pretty quickly. When I received my first bill I was very happy. It only had three items on it: the incoming plan, the outgoing plan, and the total. The total was exactly the sum of the two plans and there were no added fees or taxes whatsoever. This is exactly how it should be.

The device that I decided to use is a pretty old, but well know, ATA I have had sitting around: the Cisco ATA 186. When I first connected it I had some issues. I decided some of the issues were likely due to the old firmware installed on the device. Once I updated it a lot of the problems went away and it also had a completely new interface that was much nicer and more modern than the old one. I still had a few issues so I contacted support through their website. They responded by e-mail in less than an hour. We emailed back and forth a few times and each response was very timely. They helped to resolve all of my issues and my device has been working without issue. All interactions with their support team have been pleasant and they are very knowledgeable. They seem to care very much about the service they offer, the reputation of their company, and the satisfaction of their customers.

Call quality is excellent. Voices sound natural, clear, and there is no obvious digital noise. The voicemail system provides a number of convenient options including having all voicemails delivered to one or more e-mail addresses. Voicemail can be checked and managed through the website so there is no need to fumble through menus with the phone. They provide all of the features you would expect from a VoIP service such as robust call forwarding configurations and anonymous call rejection. My favorite feature is call treatments. This allows you to configure unique behavior when a call comes in from a particular number or a group of numbers matching some criteria. Options include sending the call directly to voicemail, forwarding to another number, and (my favorite option) playing a standard error message including a "number disconnected" error. When I get a telemarketer or scam call I add a call treatment and send them to the "number disconnected" error. Usually they will only call back one time before stopping altogether but if they don't they will just get that error and I don't have to be bothered. It is a great feature that I happily take advantage of.

Callcentric serves as a model to service providers. They offer customers flexibility to tune the service to their needs and pay a price that matches their usage. They are ready and able to help the customer with any technical issues they may have even with the plethora of possible devices the customer may be attempting to use. They are courteous and quick to respond. Their website is clear, well laid out, and easy to use when configuring features or viewing reports. The service is reliable and high quality. Callcentric is VoIP done right.

member for 12.4 years, 954 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

Yeah... I like em too...

Although it doesn't have a ton of whistles and bells, CallCentric works... good call quality, quick answers.....

Makes a good trunk for a PBX in a smaller office or for a residence.

Review by garys_2k See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "Call quality, service response, prices, call treatments"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Way to go! Still thumbs up after DDoS and Sandy."

Update Mar-2014
No issues, still great service, just to update the cost downward since we're on PAYGo and we're not using the phone so much.

Update Sep-2013
Excellent service, as expected, ever since the Hurricane Sandy incident. They've added some major new features, no cost increases, and reliability has been back to 100%. It's been many months since they've had problems and I don't even give my phone service a second thought. I still continue to HIGHLY recommend them!

Update Nov-2012:
Callcentric withstood some major challenges over the past 60 days, a blistering DDoS attack on their border controllers and a complete loss of power at their data center as a result of hurricane Sandy's flooding.

They managed the DDoS attack by adding hardware and new gateways (based on ports communicated via SRV records) as the attack proceeded. I was able to maintain service by registering with Callwithus, a competitor, and having inbound calls sip-forwarded there. I used Callwithus as an outbound provider during that time, as they allow the user to set their outbound CID. I set mine to my number registered as my DID line at Callcentric and inbound and outbound calling was back to normal.

The data center power outage was more problematic. Service and their websites were down for about four days -- I could still make calls via Callwithus but no incoming calls could be received. I'm willing to cut them slack from this 100 year event (more likely a 200+ year event), so while inconvenient (this is a home phone, backed up with cell phones) it didn't cause any lasting issues.

Update May-2012:
Still the very best choice (IMHO) for home VOIP I've heard of. I wish I'd started with CC to begin with, no regrets at all. Crystal clear, totally reliable and plenty of flexibility.

Update 1-Aug-2011:
This is getting boring, but that's in a really good way! I recently used the call treatments (sort of a small scale PBX-ish thing) to reroute some incoming calls from a particular number -- it worked great! This also diverts all incoming toll-free calls to voice mail.

So, another bunch of months and still nothing ugly. The 5/5 rating remains...

Update 10-March-2011:
Awesome provider, that's all I can say. NO issues,ever, improved features and totally reliable. Again, the wife no longer has to wonder how the calls will go through, they just DO. I have honestly forgotten that, when the phone rings, that the Internet is involved.

Still impressed with their almost complete lack of "issues" entries in the VOIP Tech Chat forum. Some providers seem to make up most of the posts dealing with "Incoming Calls Ring Busy" or "Which Server Should I Use Now?" type of issues. We needed a no-drama, will work like a telephone provider and absolutely have that with Callcentric.

Update 9-Dec-2010:
Still no issues, Wife Acceptance Factor is high. She has reported OCCASIONAL audio glitches but nothing that has interrupted a conversation. The phone just works, no drama, and we're enjoying the quality. I did drop the Dirt Cheap DID I'd kept as a backup incoming number, but not because of service issues. It's still GREAT!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

My port out from Future Nine was scheduled for 1-Nov-10 and it took place right on schedule. Call treatments have been great to cut out most all of the political BS calls we've been getting, and the phone book feature allows me to CNAM to the cell phone calls we get.

CC's reputation is about the best there is, it's not THE least expensive but certainly in the running (top few). For my use, about 400 minutes in and out per month, it's a wonderful deal.

I'll be back with an update after a few more weeks, but having seen all of the other reviews and forum posts about CC I strongly suspect I'll have a very smooth ride.

member for 9.9 years, 3521 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Sly See Profile

• Location: Johnson City,Washington,TN
Good "Everything works, wonderful website, inexpensive, features"
Bad "unknown"
Overall "I can't say enough good about them"

I've been with Callcentric for a few months now after leaving Packet8. Been with VoIP since 2003 so I've been through a lot of growing pains... Of all the problems I thought were inherent with VoIP (missed calls, dropped packets, one way audio), I have NONE of them with Callcentric. I feel very comfortable using the service. I have not yet had a call that sounded bad or dropped out in the middle of the conversation. Simply put, it's as reliable as POTS if not more...

I do wish they had call roaming or "follow me/ find me". I liked this feature with Packet8. If I was unavailable to get a call, then it would forward to my cell phone instead of voicemail.

I do love their call treatments section. You can do just about anything... I have mine set so that numbers I want to block get a "disconnected" message. I also send all anonymous calls to voice mail. If the network is down and my phone is unregistered, I have calls go to my cell... You can't get this kind of fall back with POTS.

I am extremely impressed with their web site. Very easy to use and self explanatory. I have had no problems with billing and the email notifications they send out to notify when you account balance is low is nice too.

I don't really like giving all 5 stars in a review but Callcentric gives me no choice. I really have to rate them a perfect 5 stars because they really haven't given me a reason not to... Just work on the call roaming guys....

[update] It's been awhile since I updated. Since my first posting Callcentric has added the features I wanted. I can now do call hunting and I have a fallback option to another number in case my VoIP line goes down. This is simply the most trouble free, flawless phone system I have ever had. It doesn't need any maintenance or periodic resets to keep working. It just works... I ported an old number in about 6 months ago when I dropped my cell phone service. So now I get to park my cell phone number with Callcentric for about $2/month and whenever I decide to get another cell phone, I will still have that number available for transfer.

I don't know when the last time I had to contact support. It's been a year or two... I just really don't have any problems with this service. A+.

[update] I've been with Callcentric for a few years now and I stand by my belief that they are one of the best phone providers out there. They have continued to add new features, maintain reliable service and keep their prices low and their customer service high. Still one of the best.

member for 10.1 years, 4686 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Prof_Tech

join:2007-06-30
Quincy, IL

Callcentric

I also would give Callcentric good reviews. I used them for about 3 years. Have you looked at the Call Treatments page recently? I think you can do "Follow-Me", you might have to choose either follow me or voice mail.

Review by EGeezer See Profile

• Location: Mount Sterling,Madison,OH
Good "Call quality, reliability, features, good value"
Bad "No phone support, live chat would be a nice addition to the support structure"
Overall "Service excellent, lots of features for the money. "

UPDATE JAN 10 2014:
Since my last review, Callcentric has been rock solid except for the major 2012 outage. After that outage, they credited my account based on the days they were down, something I never saw Centurylink, Sprint etc do when their lines were down.

Call quality is good. People can't tell I'm using VOIP. CC has added several features to my plan without adding cost. Presently, they have a free number porting promotion and I plan on porting my land line over as a second VOIP line and purchasing a second telephone adapter as a backup in case of a hardware failure. this will save me about $700 a year.

A nice feature is the one that forwards incoming calls to another number like a cell phone if my internet connection goes down or the Telephone adapter fails or is disconnected. This feature also lets me take my TA on the road with me to vacation homes. Calls will go to my cell phone when I'm on the road and not connected.

NOTE: If you are planning to port your land line and have a home alarm system, be sure that your alarm system will work with your TA and VOIP service, whether it's Callcentric or some other provider.

Updated JAN 26 2011

I signed up on May 15, 2009 for North America Unlimited and DID personal unlimited. The $27.40 monthly includes a $1.50 911 fee. This is a couple of bucks less than ATT Callvantage. However, price is secondary to reliability and quality to me.

I ordered the Linksys PAP2T TA after emailing the Callcentric support to verify support and recommendations. The PAP2T resides behind a NAT router and seems to have no issues with that setup.

Response time to online support questions was usually 1-3 hours and the responder addressed the questions well and accurately. It's somewhat clumsy and time consuming, however, to try to carry on an interactive conversation VIA email and online reporting. A "live chat" feature would be a welcome addition.

When the PAP2T arrived, I registered for the services. The PAP2T setup was fairly straightforward and the Callcentric documentation was accurate and essential to the setup.

Phone quality is excellent and I've had no issues with quality so far. The service has been quite stable, more so than the Road Runner connection.

911 was a problem in the beginning. The caller ID showed a different number at our 911 cal center. However, they are able to call me back automatically using the number on their display so I consider that resolved.

I contacted our local 911 administrative office for permission to test the system. Two possibly critical issues arose. On May 15, I opened trouble tickets with CallCentric to report the issues, and provided contact information to CallCentric for our local 911 administrator so they could work directly with them.

The issues were;

1) Although my complete address is reported correctly to our 911 system, the GPS coordinates sent to our 911 system shows my location approximately 850 miles away, somewhere northwest of Kansas City.

2) The ESN (Emergency Services Number) being provided to our 911 service is incorrect. The ESN is what the 911 operator uses to determine the correct police, fire and EMS to dispatch to the caller's location and this can be a critical factor in quick response or calls going to the wrong responders. .

According to Callcentric support, these issues have been forwarded to their 911 service provider as of 15 May 2009. As of this date (28 May 2009), there has been no resolution of these issues reported to me. CallCentric did update me on 22 MAY 2009 that some testing was to occur earlier that week.

The issue was ultimately resolved by Callcentric working with multiple intermediate carriers as an intermediate carrier's database issue. A check at the 911 dispatching center confirmed that have the address correctly. The location in their GIS system is within 50 feet of my home.

I recommend testing 911 to ensure the information is correct.

member for 11.7 years, 5346 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by vdubgeek See Profile

• Location: Grayslake,Lake,IL
Good "Great call quality, very affordable"
Overall "Excellent value for the money"

Just passed my 1year mark for using Callcentric for our primary home voip. We've experienced very few issues, and the quality of service has been great. Hard to believe voip can be so good, while inexpensive.

Comments:

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Good features, good pricing, good support, works great!"
Overall "Excellent product for those wish to provide their own ATA/SoftPhone."

·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
1/1/14---

I continue to enjoy the CC offering ... with rock stable performance.

1) Good choice of plans with no extra charges except for the PAYG plan's E911 service (and sales tax on all plans for those showing a New York billing address).

2) Even easier site negotiation since the website up-spiff.

3) Excellent feature set (although, for my personal needs, I am still awaiting availability of SMS Texting).

4) Excellent tutorials on the website to help newbies setup an iPhone, SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

5) Excellent call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from one's cable modem to the ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

6) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

7) Awesome tech support via my occasional Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

8) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

7/9/13---

CC continues to be among the best of the best ... especially with the recent additions (e.g., sub-accounts) to its service. The website is one of the easiest to negotiate. The day to day service is rock solid. I'm eagerly awaiting an SMS texting feature. (Not everyone wants or uses SMS over VoIP ... but I do.)

11/30/12---

Wow!!! CC has been through hell ... and back ... back with a vengeance. The recent double-trouble events ... overwhelming DDoS attacks almost immediately admixed with the devastating results of Hurricane Sandy ... created chaos and a bit of doubt (and hand wringing) among some of CC's users (and posters in the BBR Forums). However, CC has come through with flying colors ... including a very comprehensive albeit highly technical diary of events and responses to these events posted by Iscream (a CC insider).

All aspects of CallCentric's VoIP product and service continue to shine.

5/25/12---

Semi-annual update: CC continue to deserve its position at the top of the review list ... continuing to provide excellent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

11/27/11---

Time for a semi-annual update to report that my appraisal of the CC product and service continues to score 100% across the board.

4/29/11---

CC has continues to maintain its position at the top of the review list. It certainly deserves that rating ... continuing to provide magnificent service and features and support ... and total stability in every way ... including its longevity in the "here today, gone tomorrow" world of VoIP.

1/30/11 ---

Quick update ... maintaining by ongoing ratings across the board. A host of new and improved features have recently been implemented by CC.

12/15/10 ---

End of year update: CallCentric continues to perform perfectly in all areas ... as one of my two PAYG providers*. I've not experienced a single hiccough since early 2009 (an incoming fax issue that apparently affected all customers and the problem was fixed in under two hours).

Although my monthly costs are a tad higher than my other PAYG provider, I am still getting full value. I maintain a CC account (and the "other" PAYG service) on each of my several 2-line PAP2T-NAs at various locations ... essentially protecting against server or connection downtime not to mention a catastrophic event (i.e., bankruptcy ala SunRocket).

If I were forced to select my choice for the most fiscally stable VoIP provider that will survive well into the future, it would have to be CC ... by a gnat's whisker over a few others.

* Note: I do have other barely used PAYG providers ... but these are just for fun and experimentation.

3/28/2010 ---

This update is sort of mandated by my recent updates to (and an addtion of) my three other main VoIP providers. I continue to delight in every aspect of the CallCentric product offering ... reliability, quality, support, features and value. Nothing has changed. There may be a feature or two that might be required by others ... but my needs are being met.

12/31/2009 ---

End of year update. I've not had a single issue since my last update, still using multiple CC accounts for a variety of end uses.

3/5/2009 ---

CallCentric continues to work perfectly ... and amaze me. I recently ported in a DID to an additional CC account (one of several), this one specifically for use as a dedicated incoming fax line which delivers faxes as email attachments. I found that wrong numbers or hang-ups to my fax-DID resulted in an automated email sent with an essentially empty attachment. This was annoying because, with my BlackBerry, I needed to open the email and then click thru to see the faxed attachment ... a waste of time when the fax document was blank.

On the urging of another BBR poster around dinnertime today, I opened a ticket with CC's support people. Within 9 ... yes 9 ... minutes I received an initial response reporting that they were able to duplicate/confirm the "problem" ... and 1 hour 22 minutes later I received a follow-up message indicating the problem has been rectified.

06/17/2008 ---

This is my first review of the CallCentric offering -- even though I've had three accounts at three different locations for well over 6 months. Here's my take on each of the rated categories:

1) Easy to negotiate website --- with all the bells and whistles seen with more expensive providers.

2) Excellent tutorials on the website to help noobies setup SoftPhone or BYOD (ATA).

3) Good call quality (which, frankly, is more a mark of a good connection from my cablemodem to my ISP). I've not experienced any inbound or outbound audio issues.

4) I don't recall ever having a dropped call or connection failure that I could blame on CallCentric. And it works every time with no downtime, thus far.

5) Awesome tech support via Trouble Tickets. All my questions and issues were responded to (and resolved) within 24 hours --- often within an hour or two, even on weekends. Each response displayed a total understanding of my issue by the responder -- with a spot on resolution. Some might complain about the lack of telephone support -- but I believe that a TT system allows the CC rep to ponder the issue, ask higher ups for help (if necessary), and then compose a reasonable and accurate response --- as opposed to the usual telephone support that says: "Unplug everything".. "Reboot" .. "It's your ISP!" .. "You're hard of hearing."

6) Value for the money is in the "pocketbook of the beholder". Depending on one's personal needs and uses of a VoIP service, CC is probably one of the best valued providers for the features and included minutes (or PAYG) within their various product offerings.

By the way, CC has made it very easy to port numbers in --- although they do charge a one-time $25 fee.

Lastly, CC is the only one of the many providers to whom I subscribe that works flawlessly with my PAP2T-NA and Comcast Cablemodem in my Boca Raton FL home.

member for 8.5 years, 3249 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Lots of call routing/blocking and calling features, easy website, responsive support, no tax & fees BS, good call quality"
Bad "Unlimited calling is pricey (for VoIP anyways), setup fees to switch plans, porting process kind of a pain"
Overall "Reliable so far. Better deal than a $28-$29/month featureless AT&T landline."

UPDATE (12/16/13): Still reliable. The new Telemarketer Block feature has 100% eliminated all the crap calls, although it blocks legit robocalls from doctors, etc. until I can whitelist the number to my Phone Book. I no longer have to use my Obi110's Auto Attendant to do this blocking. When my mom calls me at work on my office landline, the call sometimes (maybe 20-30% of the time) has audio dropouts, even though I flashed my router to Tomato Shibby and setup and enabled QoS on it (maybe I didn't setup the QoS right?). I feel that the Call Treatments interface on the website could use some rework to make call treatment setup and ordering simpler to do and understand for a novice/nontechie user. But once you figure out how to enter, setup and order the call treatments, they work great. I'm not sure if I should ding the website rating for this since this is the only area of the Callcentric website that could use improvement.

-- Original review ---

Back in May 2013, I got an Obihai Obi110 device with the thought of using Google Voice to replace our AT&T landline. We were getting fed up with the spam calls, sometimes 2 or 3 a day, and wanted some means to filter them out. A couple months later, I finally got around to setting it up and rearranging my phone wiring. I initially set it up to use Google Voice for outgoing calls and the landline for incoming calls, but there were complaints about the call quality on GV. So I setup a Callcentric account on my Obi110 (I'd need to anyway, even I used GV for all my calls, since GV doesn't provide E911 service) and started using Callcentric for outgoing calls.

I opted to port my decades-old home number to Callcentric and use Callcentric instead of Google Voice for all my calling because:

- Callcentric's Personal Unlimited plan is only $5.95/month (plus $1.50 E911 fee if you don't have one of the North America 500/1000/Residential plans).

- Almost total lack of customer support with Google Voice. If you run into any issues porting into GV or other issues, good luck! I had no issues porting in my cell phone, but I got lucky I guess.

- Google Voice seems like it's about to be orphaned by Google. They haven't added any new features or improved anything in a while and still haven't added direct porting to POTS or VoIP lines

- Privacy concerns with Google Voice. I believe that Google listens in on GV calls (or at least GV voicemails?). I think I can trust Callcentric more than Google.

Porting the AT&T landline at my house to Callcentric took 13 days and cost $25. The submission of the initial porting info was a pain, compared to starting the porting process with a cellular carrier/MVNO. I had to scan and upload a copy of the last AT&T bill and some other paperwork, then mess with converting the scanned files to PDF (1 MB limit on attachments to Callcentric tickets). But it went through without any issues to speak of on the promised date with good communication from Callcentric during that time. Even porting a landline to Google Voice is faster, but there would be a service disruption since porting a POTS or VoIP line to GV is a two-stage process requiring activation of a cell phone and having to mess with using a cell phone for a day.

I'm currently on the Personal Unlimited for incoming calls and North America 500 for outgoing calls for a total of $12.90/month.

Since I ported my number to Callcentric about a month ago, the spam calls have really dropped off, thanks to the caller ID (I can report them to donotcall.gov) and Call Treatments.

The only real downer with Callcentric is that unlimited calling (Personal Unlimited + North America Residential plan) is $25.90 (combined cost of these two plans), which is only a couple bucks less than what my landline cost. I still have my Obi110 setup to use Google Voice if we ever run out of the 500 outgoing minutes.

member for 11.8 years, 3864 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Callcentric

Good review; a few comments.

Glad you like their service.

Comparing a wireless port to any other port is apples and oranges. CallCentric has an excellent porting process, with good communication as you noted.

You mentioned that they have "1 MB limit on attachments to Callcentric tickets". But that's a heck of a lot of data. Between 15 and 60 pages of text, depending. So I don't see the issue. You could also fax the documents instead. And if you ported to any other provider (other than wireless) you'd have to provide similar proof.

Lower-volume users may benefit by using PAYG options instead of unlimited inbound and/or unlimited outbound. But they do have a variety of choices available to try to meet various usage patterns. There are cheaper providers, but not necessarily with the same features and user experience that CC provides....

In many places, your landline company would charge $10-12 just for caller ID, after all.
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·magicjack.com
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Good review; a few comments.

said by PX Eliezer:

Glad you like their service.

It looks like our usage is going to be around 1000-1100 minutes a month, with about 65% or so of that outbound calls. Callcentric would run about $18.90/month with Personal Unlimited incoming + North America 1000. VOIPo might be a better deal for that usage, but I don't want to deal with porting again. Ooma Basic is definitely cheaper, but I'd have to give up the telemarketing/spam call blocking features (unless I get Premier).

I guess, costwise, it's kind of a wash compared to my $28.50/moth (approx.) AT&T landline. Yeah, I've gained a ton a features, but now deal with VoIP vagaries (not as simple to setup and troubleshoot as POTS, not as reliable as POTS, a bit less call quality).

At least it beats cellular as far as call quality and features go... I don't think faxing would work at all on a cellular line (e.g., Verizon Home Phone Connect or Straight Talk Home Phone, etc.).

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
·Clear Wireless

Re: Good review; a few comments.

Getting Migrated to Voip can indeed be a challenge.... although CC isn't the cheapest, they've proven to be a very responsive and reliable service. It's certainly a better deal than "Ye Olde Phone Company".... or the cable company for that matter.

Review by punkinduster See Profile

• Location: Denver,Lancaster,PA
Good "Much cheaper with more features compared to POTS"
Bad "Like all VOIP you are at the mercy of your ISP"
Overall "Best provider for my money"

4/16/10 I have been with CallCentric for a couple of years now and I am very pleased that I left Vonage. The call quality and reliability has been better and at worst just as good as my five years with Vonage. The monthly cost in my case has been substantially less since I have a (Cheaper than Dirt) DID unlimited incoming calls along with pay as you go out bound calls. We don't use the phone a lot but it sure sounds much better than cell phone technology. Also the price for their service hasn't changed a dime. No added extra fees!

4/16/11 Just an update to say I'm still happy with the service and enjoy spending the money saved on other things....

11/15/12 We are still enjoying CallCentric's easy to use web site and a Cheaper than Dirt DID. Unlimited incoming calls for less than $3. A recent attack caused some issues for a few weeks but they are back on track as good or better than before. Solid performance and great sound.

12/13/13 Still a happy camper after 5 years of their service. Thanks CC!

member for 9.9 years, 2805 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Low cost DIDs, pay as you go calling, bring your own device"
Bad "none"
Overall "Excellent quality, reliabilty, and value"

·Mediacom
·Dish Network
·DIRECTV
I've been using Callcentric for long distance since mid 2008 and I have not had any issues.

Reliability has been great. If there has been any downtime I haven't noticed it. And people I call haven't noticed any difference in call quality. **UPDATE** There was a day or two of downtime during Hurricane Sandy when Callcentric, as well as other providers in their building, lost commercial power and employees were forced to evacuate. They are located across the street from the New York Stock Exchange and have redundant power feeds, so power failures almost never happen. Sandy was the exception. While it was an inconvenience to me, in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. I've been without landline service from the phone company for weeks due to disasters in the past.

In 2010 I switched all of my phone service to Callcentric, and ported my Qwest DID to them. It's working exactly as expected.

The cost is $3.45 per month for a local number with E911. Outgoing domestic calls are 1.9 cents per minute and incoming is around 1.5 cents. They do have unlimited incoming plans, but for me the per minute plan is cheaper.

Tech support has been top notch. When I have a question it gets answered in 15 - 20 minutes in a professional manner. Requested a local DID that wasn't even listed on their website as an available area and they got it ordered and provisioned in one business day.

Callcentric includes a lot of great features and all of them are easy to use. Other voip providers may have more features, but their often very difficult to figure out.

Overall, I'm impressed with Callcentric and highly recommend their service. Sure, you can get "Unlimited" service for around $8 from some other providers, but be prepared for issues and they will always be "on your end". I tried another provider, and when they claimed my router was causing lots of audio issues I decided to drop them and go back to Callcentric because it "just works" without having to tweak any router settings or jump through any hoops.

member for 11.9 years, 5105 visits, last login: a few hours ago