Look Communications page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by ZZink See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke
Good "Always had amazing service"
Bad "bought out and dead now."
Overall "Were good while lasted"

·TekSavvy Cable
THT provided me with Internet for almost 3 years and I was happy for every single day until look.ca bought them out and THT decided they're gonna charge me for an extra month when they no longer provided any service.

Scammers... and after being a loyal customer for so long... bah.

Comments:

Review by davidl See Profile

• Location: Vaudreuil-Dorion,QC
Good "can't think of any"
Bad "connection is sometimes very erratic, service is throttled by Bell, never get even close to the 5 mbps download or 800K upload"
Overall "Overbooked, service in evenings is terrible...get Teksavvy"

·TekSavvy DSL
Was originally with Delphi communications in Montreal which was bought up by Look. Look was okay for a while then the service disappeared for 24 hours. Ever since then the connection has been spotty. Also:

- Torrents are throttled
- No newsgroups
- Never even get close to the 'up to' 5mpbs download or 800K upload
- Can't direct email support, have to fill out pesky form and wait for days for canned response

Update 20Feb 09: After a spotty net connection for about a year, somebody at Look or Bell flipped a switch and we're getting a solid 3.9 Mb/s download and 620 Kb/s upload...marginally more happy

Update 03Mar09: Spoke too soon, the service works okay in the morning and early afternoon but then goes down the tubes around 4:00pm ...after that, you can barely load pages until 2:00am. We've complained before about service quality and all they did was give us a boilerplate PDF on wiring...we've changed all our wiring and it's not that. Their site says that they're selling all or part of their business...hopefully Teksavvy buys us out

Comments:

Review by hughg See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "very stable, always up and at 4.2m /600k Voip works well on this service"
Bad "A little expensive, but I'm afraid to change. Need my phones to work."
Overall "Overall satified with Look. no port blocking, no limits."

DSL, no cable in my home, so only DSL as an option. Look took over THT.net, which was also great, one of the best in the GTA. After a few problems, and almost changing away, they got it right. I have the 5m plan, so 4.2 is quite good as a real throughput. I just changed to a Cisco 1700 series router, and that gave a little more speed, and fixed my NAT problems with my Voip phones. I own my equipment, so I'm not stuck with provider 'junk'. I don't have anything bad to say about the ISP in general.

Comments:

Review by peters13 See Profile

• Location: L5N
Good "reliable and stable"
Bad "no good customer support;price"
Overall "not bad before they increased the price"

the look service is not bad if you don't plan to call for support or ask for anything else.

the $37.00 plus tax price is no longer competitive with other 3rd party resellers- obviously still cheaper then bell and roger...I had them for over 4years with very little issues.

Now its time to move. Customer support only available M-F during business hours, which i am ok with since I only called a few time in the last 4 years.

Comments:

Review by ericksodhi See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Fast, reliable, unlimited bandwidth, 5 e-mails"
Bad "No Usenet, limited personal Web space"
Overall "Recommended"

Have been using Look's DSL service for over 5 years and have no complaints.

Comments:

Review by Jesse2 See Profile

• Location: Pickering,ON
Good "Constant download speed, stable connection 97% of the time."
Bad "Could be much faster."
Overall "Reliable service."

So i pay 40$/month for DSL @ 5mbps=5000kbps=625KB/s. I download at 175KB/s or 1.4mbps. I am a little displeased with how much lower my connection speed is, even if it is DSL, which depends on your location from the central building.

Im considering switching Cable internet from Rogers.

UPDATE on the situation! I called Look to leave them yesterday. I just started with Teksavvy yesterday as well. So far im getting the same speeds (but they are trying for more!), but with a 200GB cap(i will never use that) and im paying 10$ less then with Look. If you're in the market for DSL, DO NOT GET LOOK. Teksavvy all the way.

Comments:

Review by vitesse See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "webmail, no limit,. connection rock stable static IP, no traphic shaping"
Bad "they don't offer newsgroup service anymore"

Connected with wireless unidirectional connection from Febuary 1999 to December 2001. worked quite good. 31.2kbps upload max and 8mbps download max

Connected with bi-directional connection from January 2002 to November 2006. Worked very badly, not stable, but fast. 204kbps upload max and 8mbps download max.

Connected with wireless docsis modem from November 2006 to april 2008. I began with their 1500kbps / 400kbps and was doing 1437kbps in download and 437kbps in upload. after I used their 3000kbps / 640kbps service, I was doing 2994kbps and 664kbps The connection is rock stable. They use Terayon TJ-715x docsis 2.0 modem with a small microwave antenna on a 30 feets tower.

Their docsis service goes full speed anytime of the day, night/week. when I test to testvitesse.videotron.ca I always obtain the same speed, anytime.

Connection is ideal for someone not having access to dsl or cable modem. You must be a look tv subscriber to use this service (I'm an exception because I don't have look-tv) They don't offer newsgroup service anymore. They offer webmail service (free), I found this very useful. They have static IP and my service have 5 static IP

I'm leaving look for a cheaper alternative with DSL, now that this is available to me.

I recommend the service to anyone that have not access to wired high speed internet connection available. They have good technical service too.

member for 11.7 years, 2003 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by NeoStylez See Profile

• Location: Innisfil,ON
Good "Cheapest High Speed in my area, no cap's, fairly reliable, low ping for gaming"
Bad "Had to get there TV service to get High Speed, Equipment cost a bit,"
Overall "I would rather something else if I could."

There were no other options for high speed in my area. what really stuck me was having to get there tv service just so i could get the wireless high speed. i have the 3mb/640kb and i usually attain those speeds. the unlimited bandwidth is very nice. The tech who installed was very friendly and had me set up very quickly but since there offices close fairly early i couldn't use the high speed until the monday (install was on friday)

Comments:

Review by vintagewino See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "None"
Bad "Terrible tech support. No news groups. Horrible speed."
Overall "Very poor value for the money"

·TekSavvy DSL
Started out originally with Internet Direct. With I.D., there were absolutely no complaints. Then I.D. was taken over by Look.

Once Look took over, prices started going up. Was told speed also went up, but I have never seen a speed increase. Supposed to be 5000/800, but I'm typically 1700/320. CO is 7500 feet by sight (12000 feet by cable) to demarcation point. They refuse to try to do anything to increase speed, except blame Bell. Stats from Modem: xDSL linestate up (downstream: 1728 kbit/s, upstream: 384 kbit/s; output Power Down: 17.0 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 54.0 dB, Up: 31.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 18.0 dB, Up: 18.0 dB) Not great, but not terrible. Checking with Bell says I should be able to get close to 7MB! (yeah, right!).

After complaining to Look today, I got a surly e-mail back from them saying 'this is all we can do, live with it.' Now in the process of leaving them.

At $39 + taxes, poor speeds, no newsgroups, terrible tech support ... NOT a good deal!

Update 10/26: Got home to find things faster. Checked my modem, profile now 3000/512. Helped a friend of mine who is at the end of the line according to Bell, but using Look - 4200/675. If one can have results like that near the edge, I wonder how far past the edge I am? More to be done ...

Update 10/31: Letter in the mail today from Look stating rate increase of $2/month + tax(es) effective Dec. 1/07.

Update 11/17: They hold you to a 30 day cancellation wait. Last day 12/16. Can't wait ...

Update 12/17 - Last day yesterday. With Teksavvy now. Same everything else. Now 5 MB d/l premium pkg. Have NEVER seen this speed before. And less expensive, too! Bye, bye, Look!

Update 01/26: Had to call to get my unused time credit 01/02. Was posted to the CC 01/10. Somehow, I don't think I would have seen it had I not called.

End.

member for 11.1 years, 2348 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HKPolice See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "No caps"
Bad "Max MTU of 1464 instead of the usual 1492 which limits top speeds, poor customer service."
Overall "AVOID."

One time, I got dropped down to the 3Mbit profile from 5Mbit even though my line stats are almost perfect (24.5db SNR, 7.5db attenuation). I called them up to get it switched back but they wouldn't until I said I'd like to cancel.

Then finally they called back and put in an order to bell to switch me back to 5Mbit sync profile.

member for 12 years, 3016 visits, last login: a few hours ago