Roadstar Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by varocketry See Profile

• Location: Waterford,Loudoun,VA
Good "One of the first Wireless WISPs providing a semblance of broadband in our rural area."
Bad "Indifferent management to customers, experienced vindictive termination of service when called for support of business services."
Overall "Moved on to more reliable provider after terrible service experience."

I was an early adopter when owner did site surveys himself. Fairly high cost of service compared to national and adjacent markets - $69/month for no speed commitment service (ie., best available) capped at I Mbps.

My business depended upon connection being available during a limited but critical period each week. I experienced a number of outages and that impacted the business. When I emailed asking for attention to the service issues, Roadstar cut off my Internet connectivity without even speaking to me.

I had to move on immediately to keep my business afloat.

member for 13.1 years, 30 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by BlueRidgePro4 See Profile

• Location: Paris,Clarke,VA
Good "Only option other than dialup"
Bad "Slow, unreliable"
Overall "better than dial-up, but not by much"

Reliability is poor. Often experience long ping times and ping timeouts. During busy periods, the service is very slow.

$59 for 1MB service (at peak) is a lot of money.

Western Loudoun county Virginia is in a sad state for internet service, especially given that the county is wealthy and heavily taxed. Comcast and Verizon have cherry-picked the cities & left the rest of the county without service. So much for deregulation...

Comments:

Review by trpinterests See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Network runs great 1 day after it has gone down (only)"
Bad "VERY HIGH Latency - Unreliable Service - Uncaring Customer Service"
Overall "Satellite and/or Cellular Broadband are better alternatives!!!"

After 3 years of trying to use Roadstar Internet I am switching over to Satellite.

Their network has extremely high latency issues. For the past several months they have been having numerous outages. When the service is not out, web pages experience timeouts or are very slow to load.

When you call their customer service - which has now become a weekly chore, they get you to reboot everything on the network and then tell you they are not experiencing any problems. A few days later their network goes down and they are forced to resolve the issue.

Immediately after getting their network back up, their service is excellent. Response times are great - latency is low. Within 1 day the service begins to get slower and slower over the next days until the cycle repeats itself.

I think they do not have network engineers who understand the equipment on their network - and they have evolved to the point of not caring whether or not their residential customers have good service or not.

When you ask for service credits for all the problems, they tell you flat out THEY DO NOT ISSUE CREDITS FOR ANY REASON.

Satellite Internet has high latency but from what I read it is pretty reliable. Anyone who has Roadstar as their only option should CONSIDER USING SATELLITE instead of Roadstar because you will only be frustrated to the point of hating the service. If you cannot get satellite, then consider whether you can use cellular broadband instead.

I promise you - these alternative services will be better than the hassle and frustration with Roadstar.

Comments:

Review by mowron See Profile

• Location: Haymarket,Prince William,VA
Good "Better than dialup-low latency, have had no services outtages"
Bad "unable to maintain continuous connection to internet- not good for gamming"
Overall "I'm fortunate to have an option other than dial up or satelite"

When I first started with roadstar just over 2yrs ago the service was rock solid, my connection had no issues what so ever. Signal strength to my antenna is good (5 bars, sometimes 6); I am less than 2,000 feet from the tower and have a clear view of the tower. The problem that I have been having for the last 18 months or so has been intermittent connectivity. My whole family enjoys gamming over the internet as our primary source of entertainment. We either get dropped or the game freezes due to a loss of internet connectivity which will usually last anywhere from just a few seconds to 30 seconds or more.

I used to call tech support to see if they could do anything to improve the connectivity. They were always accommodating, customer service was good but we could never correct the problem. It would always end with something to the effect of call us it that doesn't solve the problem.

If I was just casually surfing the internet or using it for multimedia, I’d be perfectly fine. Sometimes the disconnects last long enough to time out the browser but that’s not usually the case. I've probably placed a dozen calls or so. I've had the installers out 3 separate times, twice they moved the antenna and the last time I had them out they put a new antenna up. I have holes all over my roof as I have tried many different mounting locations. I have removed trees to clear the line of sight. Nothing that was done improved the constant random loss of connectivity.

My solution was to purchase a 3G wireless card from AT&T. I use this card to get my gamming fix as the connection is reliable with no disconnection issues although my latency has gone up from 30-70ms with roadstar to 230 - 500 ms with 3g. The higher latency isn't ideal for online gamming for first person shooters but it's much more toleratable than the constant disconnects or prolonged lag spikes that I am getting with roadstar.

The engineer that installed my last antennae told me that the way wireless internet worked was that the tower would speak to one client (antennae) at a time, but very quickly. If any of the customer's antennas had a less than ideal reception due to line of sight or a number of other reasons then the packet loss as a result of this inferior signal would cause the tower to spend more time with this client in an attempt to get all the data to and from. This would in turn degrade everyone else's quality. I'm sure it's way more technical than this but that’s how I understood it.

I use my roadstar connection for computer updates, email and my Itunes.

I game with my AT&T. (I would have replaced roadstar with the 3g if it had not been for the 5 gig cap)

I'm paying 120.00 a month for reliable internet.

I can only dream of getting cable.

I wish i could buy a T1 for what Im spending now.

Comments:

Review by mowron See Profile

• Location: Haymarket,Prince William,VA
Good "Beats Dial up, no download limits or caps"
Bad "constant random disconnects"
Overall "with the lack of availability to cable or dsl, this is the best option if you use more than 5 gigs a month"

When I first started with roadstar just over 2yrs ago the service was rock solid, my connection had no issues what so ever. Signal strength to my antenna is good; I am less than 2,000 feet from the tower and have a clear view of the tower. The problem that I have been having for the last 18 months or so has been intermittent connectivity. My whole family enjoys gamming over the internet as our primary source of entertainment. We either get dropped or the game freezes due to a loss of internet connectivity which will usually last anywhere from just a few seconds to 30 seconds.

I used to call tech support to see if they could do anything to improve the connectivity. They were always so accommodating, customer service was good but we could never correct the problem. It would always end with something to the effect of call us it that doesn't solve the problem.

If I was just casually surfing the internet, I’d be perfectly fine. Sometimes the disconnects last long enough to time out the browser but that’s not usually the case. I've probably placed a dozen calls or so. I've had the installers out 3 different times. Twice they repositioned the antenna. The last visit they installed a new antenna. I have removed trees to clear the line of sight. Nothing that was done improved the constant random loss of connectivity.

My solution was to purchase a 3G wireless card from AT&T. I use this card to get my gamming fix as the connection is reliable with no disconnection issues although my latency has gone up from as low as 30-70ms to averaging 230 - 500 ms. The higher latency isn't ideal for online gamming for first person shooters but I can tolerate that much easier than constant disconnects or prolonged lag spikes.

Now I use my roadstar connection for computer updates, email and my Itunes.

Comments:

Review by guzzilapd See Profile

• Location: Philomont,Loudoun,VA

Just shut down this crummy outfit after months of them picking my pockets. My service has been sketchy at best and no better than dial up. They try to tell you the problem is on your side and will not admit the real problem are the trees and obstructions. They would rather you allow them to pick your pockets as long as possible I guess.

It was not until I talked to a friend lives near me who allows Roadstar to have one of there repeater antennas on his property. Hes honest with me and says his service is fine because he is hard wired to the antenna however all the folks that beam into the antenna are real unhappy and would change if there was another game in town.

Well, I happen to have Comcast running by my place so Good Bye Roadstar!

This outfit needs to have more reviews to let spread the word how Good or Crummy they are!

Oh by the way....I sent a msg to them complaining about the crummy service and that I WOULD be switching to COMCAST as soon as I could and then I would pull the plug on ROADSTAR. Well, evidently the CEO did not like what I let him know I was gonna do and get the word out about them....so he PULLED the plug on me the next a.m! yes sir...I called their TECH. support and a one Mr. Earl, very nice gentleman told me the CEO wrote in my notes he personally pulled the plug!

Go figure. Must be hard times coming down Snickersville Pike knowing your fleecing your customers live nearby.

Comments:

Review by smoline1 See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA

Just had to cancel service with Roadstar due to exceptionally poor reliability and abysmal customer support. Started service with these folks years ago when they were a young start-up. They used to be great, and used to value their customers. My, how times have changed . . .

After experiencing yet another recent service outage, I called their "tech support" line. After a frustrating 30 minutes of no progress, the technician told me that I was his first customer of the morning and he was "still waking up." When I asked to speak to his supervisor, they (Roadstar) refused.

Today I received correspondence from one of their senior executives (VERY senior) in which he complained (and this is a verbatim quote) "The equipment is flaky, filled with bugs. I don't think ANY vendor has shipped us equipment that has worked on the 1st try. Even the Alvarion release 5 software was so bad that we had to go backwards to release 4. The spectrum and power granted by the FCC sucks. Not enough power and only a small slice of spectrum that we all have to share. Any kind of tree or other obstruction kills the signal. Tower sites are few and not very well placed in Loudoun." This was his explanation of why my business-class service was so poor (at $199/month).

We exchanged several points of view, during which Roadstar indicated they were the only game in town besides dial-up (true), and that there were no better options for the price (debatable), and that if I wanted to try to find something better, I should go ahead and try. The correspondence concluded with the executive writing (another direct quote) "If you don't like the food in this restaurant, please move on."

I will move on to something else, even if I go back to dial-up, or revert back to satellite-based ISP. At least I'd be only paying $10-60/month for poor reliability and service, instead of $199.

As I said, Roadstar was once very good and fairly reliable. Something has changed over the years, and management chooses to blame the customer for complaining rather than addressing the problem. I recommend staying clear of Roadstar unless you are totally convinced there are absolutely no other options. And then be prepared to pay for premium-grade service while receiving poor-grade support.

Comments:

Review by kcds See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Tech support is honest, locally-based, forthright, call you back when they say they will, and seem to genuinely care."
Bad "Downsides are limitations due to shared medium & line-of-sight requirement. Not cheap."
Overall "DSL not available, ISDN slow & expensive, satellite doesn't work with VPN - it's really the only game in town, and I'm happy."

While I can't say my experience with Roadstar has been totally smooth, they have always worked with me to resolve the problems I have had. The service was good from the first day it was installed, then it degraded. Repositioning the antenna (no charge) fixed the problem temporarily. Eventually, signal fade got so bad (presumably due to tree growth in the line of sight to the repeater) I had to install a bridge to relay the signal off a neighbor's house. That was a big investment on my part (c. $1000), but the signal has been solid ever since. It is a testament, I think, primarily to the quality of the service and the people at Roadstar, that I felt it was worth making the investment in the bridge to continue using the service - granted, there are very few other choices, but the bottom line is - they're good people, with a good service, AND there's really no other choice out here.

I am currently using Tranzeo antennas and the service is 802.11b - I get a pretty reliable 1.1Mbps downstream, and a highly variable upstream, from 200kbps - 1Mbps. Latency can be fairly high, as would be expected given the topology, but VPN and video chat are still usable.

Comments:

Review by rirri See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Better than dial-up; good support"
Bad "Drop-outs"

This is pretty much the only non-dial-up choice in the western part of the county. Even so, you need to have line-of-sight view of one of their POPs which leaves out a lot of people - especially those on wooded lots. Once you're hooked up, though, it works great. The only problem I have is occasional periods when I can't connect to anything. This may last for a few minutes or a few hours. The support staff is very polite and helpful.