Roadstar Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by kcds See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Tech support is honest, locally-based, forthright, call you back when they say they will, and seem to genuinely care."
Bad "Downsides are limitations due to shared medium & line-of-sight requirement. Not cheap."
Overall "DSL not available, ISDN slow & expensive, satellite doesn't work with VPN - it's really the only game in town, and I'm happy."

While I can't say my experience with Roadstar has been totally smooth, they have always worked with me to resolve the problems I have had. The service was good from the first day it was installed, then it degraded. Repositioning the antenna (no charge) fixed the problem temporarily. Eventually, signal fade got so bad (presumably due to tree growth in the line of sight to the repeater) I had to install a bridge to relay the signal off a neighbor's house. That was a big investment on my part (c. $1000), but the signal has been solid ever since. It is a testament, I think, primarily to the quality of the service and the people at Roadstar, that I felt it was worth making the investment in the bridge to continue using the service - granted, there are very few other choices, but the bottom line is - they're good people, with a good service, AND there's really no other choice out here.

I am currently using Tranzeo antennas and the service is 802.11b - I get a pretty reliable 1.1Mbps downstream, and a highly variable upstream, from 200kbps - 1Mbps. Latency can be fairly high, as would be expected given the topology, but VPN and video chat are still usable.

Comments: