Caneris page on DSLReports

Review by DominiqueG See Profile

Good "Customer Service, Price, No term Contract, Cheap Start up Cost"
Bad "Speed with which customer service responds"
Overall "Decent Experience"

It is really hard to get in touch with Caneris but once you do their staff is pretty friendly. I think that they're phone lines are probably just really understaffed so you have to leave a message if you want to get in touch with them. The sales rep gave me his extension so I wouldn't have to wait for a long time again if I should decide to call back which was quite nice. If you want to support a relatively small company then Caneris is perfect. It'll come with it's challenges (like slow customer service response) but it is a lot cheaper than Rogers or Bell and their start up costs even beat the likes of Teksavvy. They also feature a no-term contract and the same sales rep told me that they're working on raising the download speed soon, so I suppose they're expanding and improving.

Comments:

Review by dillyhammer See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "24/7 support is actually available 24/7, simple VPS control panel"
Bad "Nada"
Overall "Good bang for the VPS buck"

·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
This is a review of Caneris' VPS service. It's incomplete, as I'm in the midst of a free trial, but from what I've seen so far, I'll be calling soon and firing it up on a paid basis and hanging on to it.

»www.caneris.com/VPS

I emailed a few questions before starting the order process and got my answers promptly. I placed the order for the free trial just so I could kick the tires a bit before jumping in. I did a fair amount of due diligence before choosing Caneris' VPS service. Probaby could have did a little more and saved a dollar or two, but I like supporting Canadian companies and spirit, especially those involved in innovation, even if it costs a little more. Caneris fit the bill.

The VPS was provisioned in about a day. It was actually done faster, but there was a glitch with the Fedora 15 template so we switched it up to CentOS 6 and we were off to the races. After Caneris looked after the L, I had the AMP portion of my stack up and running in about 15 minutes. I use PostgreSQL extensively, still working on that as its a little more involved with the geospatial stuff. Another 10 minutes and I had everything locked down.

The VPS is nice and snappy. I've made a few DNS changes to my test domain, waiting for that to kick in, then I'll pop some load onto it and see how it performs.

So far so good. I'll update the review as I go.

UPDATE: Oct 5, 2011

Made the switch to the premium VPS yesterday. Caneris gave me the headsup they needed a small window of time to perform the upgrade. Got the note later in the day the upgrade was done. The specs are as advertised - no surprises nor disappointments.

The Caneris portal is ok. Offers basic functionality as you'd expect - billing details, service summary, service details with options to stop,start, restart and oerform other basic functions with the VPS.

I opted to convert my domain portfolio DNS back to EasyDNS. Im sure Caneris' DNS services are fine, but I do use wildcard DNS for a couple of my domains and Caneris doesn't support wildcards *yet*. I prefer EasyDNS anyways, no-brainer decision.

I have some regression scripts I'm going to run as soon as I set up my backend. I'll crank the network, CPU and memory loads to guage performance, post the results later.

UPDATE: Oct 11, 2011

Pretty impressed overall. The VPS performs quite well. Paying for shared hosting is a sin. Request for a PTR looked after in a couple of hours. I'm all done - transferred 25+ domains and websites over plus email.

There may be cheaper, there may be better, but I think I got a sweet spot going on. Great value for the money.

Comments:

Review by grayfox See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "great service, great staff, great uptimes, helped with a fork of openwrt"
Bad "Last mile is owned by bell"
Overall "The best ADSL wholesaler anyone could ever want"

Forget about teksavvy, Acanac,connection.ca and the hundreds of other company's out there doing adsl wholesaling.

No other company will do as much for the customer as caneris does, They will go the extra mile to ensure there customers are happy.

Plus there 100% linux too (Other then there hp procurve switch's)

There ml-ppp implementation is the most efficient and best preforming out there that ive seen at least.

If one line goes down, it is very quick to take it out of the bundle quicker then I previously thought was possible.

Comments:

Review by devcore See Profile

• Location: Pickering,ON
Good "Responsive, flexible, great customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "great ISP!"

I have switched from Primus to Caneris. Caneris people were very accommodating in the process. I got my initial setup within hours and was able to gradually transition from one provider to the other with no interruption at all. I have been with them for just over a month. Not a single problem. Not a single service interruption. All my tickets (e-mail setup, DNS pointers, etc). were resolved promptly. So far, I have been one very happy customer.

My profile: 5056/800 Fast

====================

One year later I am still very satisfied.

There were some troubles (mostly caused by Bell and deteriorating line) along the way but the tech support was always there for me. I added a dry loop and currently use 2 line MLPPP. Also, their VPS is a great thing to have...

member for 6.2 years, 1718 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Roop See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "good price, very fast. they deliver exactly what they advertise"
Bad "none"
Overall "excellent choice for a VPS"

I tried two other VPS providers before moving to Caneris and read dozens of reviews. First it was hazenet, then steadfast. Both advertised nice packages but when I tried to deploy my servers, I soon found they could not deliver on their promises.

With Caneris the bandwidth was always there but so was the memory and CPU resources the others lacked. I found the VPS often performed faster than my home computer (3ghz/8gb ram/single hdd). that's beyond my expectation for a virtual system.

An objective example is a LAMP installation from tasksel in ubuntu 10.04 x32:
real system: about 20 minutes
Caneris VPS: about 15 minutes
hazenet: failure (problems with their custom rhel, debian and ubuntu kernels)
steadfast: over 12 hours (at which point I told them to cancel my service)

The setup time was less than an hour from signup to when I could log in and start managing.
The only way I could see them do anything better is either offer more than 2 VPS packages or allow some kind of customization (different ram/hdd,etc) but the majority will probably fall into the 2 packages.

member for 10.9 years, 1968 visits, last login: 174 days ago

Comments:

Review by Styvas See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Great customer service from staff and management"
Bad "Nothing worth mentioning here"
Overall "I highly recommend this company for any of its services"

I've used Caneris in multiple locations and for multiple products. Their staff work very hard to ensure that customers are happy. I have no problem recommending this company to others. I also use them for hosting and this service is also rock solid.

member for 10.1 years, 5501 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Angelo See Profile

• Location: Woodbridge,ON
Good "Very fast, Very good service"
Overall "Worth your money guys"

Where do i start their VPS is just WOW. I have one of their VPS's the thing is very quick fast and easy to maintain. I had an issue with the VPS it was updated and fixed within a few minuites of reporting the issues. Now that is service!

Since then 0 issues at all and never had downtown once. It has been at least 6 months

member for 12.3 years, 4397 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mgelman See Profile

Good "FAST support/service, static IPs, no throttling"
Bad "Can't think of any"
Overall "So much better than Rogers!"

I switched from Rogers Express after getting fed up with the throttling. Got a static IP too, after inquiring with Rogers and finding out they won't do it unless you have a business account and pay $200/month!

Really happy so far with the price and the service. Static IPs are only $4/month on top of the $29.95/month, which still comes out cheaper than Rogers with no static IP.

Had to call support to get the static IP. They answered right away with no hold time and im less than 10 mins i had it.

Comments:

Review by Nina K See Profile

Good "Amazing, professional, fast and reliable service."

Ever hear that little changes have the biggest impacts? Well, Caneris was my little change that brought ease and comfort to my life with a reliable and a trustworthy connection.

I have a dry-loop set up hence the price is a tad different, however it is still much better than what I had before. Unlike my previous provider, Caneris is actually VERY reliable and fast at providing their service. I for some reason would loose my connection for several hours at a time with my other providers and when I switched over to Caneris I haven't had a problem. I have their high speed plan, and it's working better than I can imagine. One great thing about this company is that they actually truly take the time with their customers, and help them through the set up until everything is completely up and running. I had some difficulties and their representative was great at explaining and helping me out. I also never have to be on hold for 20-40 minutes waiting for a representative to answer, which is a great factor, since we all live in a such a busy world. Overall, they are the best internet providing company that I have ever had, and I am glad I was referred to them. A reliable connection and their amazing representatives make my experience of being a customer enjoyable.

Wishing All a Lovely Holiday Season,

Nina K.

Comments:

Review by v1k See Profile

Good "Great price, tech support and very reliable service"
Bad "No complaints so far other than the lack of publicity for this service"
Overall "Great value and knowledgeable support make this a great competitor to the status quo companies."

I have the 5 meg package from Caneris and so far it has been as very reliable. I've had to deal with support only once and it was smooth all the way. I was helped without all the scripted responses and normal hassles that come with calling tech support.

I decided to switch because of multiple run-ins with my age old ISP. Their tech support would not recognize that I had a faulty modem, and I was left with half dead hardware for over 3 months. I'm very happy with Caneris because the one problem that I had was solved within an hour by people who treat me as if i actually posses a brain. Caneris delivered. I've not had any connection drops since i started a little over a month ago and my speed has been consistent.

There's nothing to complain about so far. Highly recommended.