Impulse Internet Services page on DSLReports

Review by iceman94 See Profile

• Location: Goleta,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Fastest download speed available at my location; They seem friendly"
Bad "Packet loss, high latency and jitter make it unusable for hours most nights"
Overall "The most unreliable connection I've ever had, not recommended"

I only have two options for Internet service; Verizon 3MB DSL or Impulse.net 6MB Ethernet. Impulse has fiber to the premises that is broken out in common areas and split out to switches in each building. The building switches feed Ethernet directly to each unit with 100MB link speed. They cap the speed to 6MB using rate-limiting on the building switches.

I've had this service since February 2011. The connection was originally ok. Decent latency, near rated speeds, etc. About 5 months ago, I began to notice major issues during a regular window of time, approximately between 9:30pm and 1:00am. During this time frame most nights, almost any Internet activity is impractical. I ran some tests and quickly noted that ping times were spiking, often exceeding 2 seconds. The times would get better and worse rapidly (jitter). Additionally, 3%+ packet loss is typical during these times. Gaming and downloads are not possible. Even web browsing is painfully slow during those times.

I opened a ticket on March 27, 2012 and have been working for months with their support team and one of their network engineers. However, it's always been my responsibility to monitor the connection and report the status. It seems like they either don't know how to monitor their equipment or just don't care (although they seem friendly in email/on the phone). Either way, despite my efforts I am still suffering over

I don't know what more to say. I'm actually considering switching to the lower speeds offered by Verizon DSL just to have a stable connection.

member for 15.1 years, 241 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by dv41 See Profile

• Location: Goleta,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Great Support, Easy connections(apartment pre-installed) and Very reliable!"
Bad "Behind NAT, Terrible speed for price, Not so good support knowledge!"
Overall "If your at Willow springs - Try everything else!!!"

I have lived at Willow Springs Apartments for quite a while and I am stuck with Impulse at 768/128 for what I was paying for 1.5Mbit down at my last ISP!
- Will elaborate on other parts now-
~The install process was very easy, I wanted service in the living room so they switched the cables around the same day and had it running with my router that night.
~You connect via DHCP and evidently they put you behind a nat router. I wanted to setup my servers but to get any ports forwarded would have required me to pay an extra 12 dollars a month for a static ip.
~The max downstream speed is 768Kbit, it really is unbearable.
I hope to have Verizon DSL sometime in the future. It all hinges on the apartment managers upgrade timeframe.

Comments:

Review by lpoulsen See Profile

• Location: Santa Barbara,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Wireless access with good performance"
Overall "It feels good to support a LOCAL business with PERSONAL service"

The connection speeds I achieve with wireless service easily meet or beat the local DSL speeds. Presently, I get 800+/800+, although I expect to see that drop as more users join the network.

I should note that as a representative of the (local) equipment mandufacturer, I am part of an "inside" team, not a regular customer.

Since this service is available well beyond the DSL service area boundary, it offers an alternative for the rural areas.

Comments:

Review by dacreb See Profile

• Location: Santa Maria,Santa Barbara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "All the good points are still there and more...."
Bad "The only bad point is GONE....read below"
Overall "If you live in their service area....USE THEM!!!!"

I gave them a great review before and their service and cost has only gotten better. The price for 768/128 DSL has now gone down to $20 dollars a month (for the ISP side only). That along with the $37.50 that Verizon charges for their part of the DSL service makes it only $7.50 more a month than using the ISP from Verizon. Only $7.50 for customer service and network stability that blows Verizon out of the water. I have had 4 friends sign up (by my recommendation) with Impulse, 2 of them DSL and all they love it. There really isn't much more to say....their company just speaks for itself.

• Location: Santa Maria,Santa Barbara,CA
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "Always fast, hometown type service...and no I don't mean AOL type hometown..ech!!!"
Bad "Wish it and a whole lot of other things in the world were cheaper"
Overall "But still, well worth the extra money for the great speed and service"

I have been with Impulse for about 6 months now, 3 of them with DSL
service. Yes, their cost for DSL is more than alot of other places out
there, but you definitely get what you pay for. They offer fast DSL
service...plain and simple with a static (fixed) IP address. Also, they
don't try and hide anything from you when there are problems with the
service. If you go to their home page and check out the "Network"
section you can see their current logs and what problems they have had,
if any. Also, you get the "local" feeling to their customer service,
because they only have about 15 employees, so you get to know them
personally. They provide great speed and service, and only put 90-100
people on each T1 line. Other ISP's cram as many as 400 people on one
line. Trust me, I have had no regrets, the extra cost is money well
spent. We also use Impulse for our ISP at the factory I work at. In fact, one of my co-workers switched to them from the default Verizon-provided ISP (which had too many problems to list) and all the problems disappeared. Just call them, and see for yourself how GOOD these guys really are.

(review was emailed from domain impulse.net)

Comments:

Review by davehayes See Profile

• Location: Lompoc,Santa Barbara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Helpful Tech support. Free Fixed IP (if you need it) for DSL. Good support for dial-in users."
Bad "Premium price for slow DSL throughput"
Overall "Verizon has problems, but these folks have throughput unsuited for streaming video, and an attitude problem"

One year contract with Verizon for Bronze Plus. None for ISP. Impulse costs about $265 a year more than Verizon, and they provide inferior throughput. Their tech staff could not answer when they would be able to match Verizon performance (600+ bps) while theirs remained at 256-400 bps. The most advanced technical advice that I received was to unplug the DSL modem and plug it back in again. Although they had received information showing that the bottleneck was their connection to the backbone, they persisted in attempting scare tactics (making me pay for GTE circuit testing). Since switching to Verizon, my streaming video works at 300kbs. GTE has a CIR rate of 10kbs, but Impulse implied that was the problem, when it clearly was not.

It would have been more honest of them to admit that they were never going to reach the throughput that Verizon has, did not intend to match prices, and let the end user make his own decision about remaining with them.

member for 14.7 years, 30 visits, last login: 13.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by straehle See Profile

• Location: Santa Barbara,Santa Barbara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Solid as a rock, DL speeds 600-700 kbps"
Bad "A little pricey"
Overall "No Install problems, ready when promised, always there"

I have had an Impulse dial-up account for a number of years and they host my web site, so going to them for DSL was a natural. I ordered through them and requested a self-install kit. They coordinated with GTE and it was totally transparent. As I recall the wait quoted was about three weeks, but I could be wrong. The self-install kit arrived on the appointed day and the line was already activated. Install was smooth. Impulse had some hardware problems (card failures) early on, but these were fixed. I ordered the Bronze+ package which is RADSL to a maximum or 768/128, which is the least expensive package. I have recorded downloads in the 75 kB/s region and your tests have shown the high 600s. Uplink I am getting 120 kb/s on your tests. This provides me with a static IP address. I am running the DSL modem into a NIC on my PIII computer and using Win2K ICS and another NIC to access my laptop with no problems.

I wouldn't trade DSL in for anything.

member for 14.4 years, 22 visits, last login: 1 year ago