Cass Communications page on DSLReports

Review by jester805 See Profile

• Location: Manito,Mason,IL
Good "Smaller company so easy to get a hold of a supervisor"
Bad "Slow internet connection speeds and packet loss"
Overall "Not worth the headache. Get another provider if you can"

In 2010 I moved to a new house and found the local cable provider to be Cass Communications. They have three internet speed tiers (3 Mbit for $39, 7 Mbit for $59, and 10 Mbit for $99).

I signed up for their 7 Mbit service and had problems from day one! My download speeds were consistently between 1 Mbit & 2 Mbit. (I tested from different servers & different times of day). I also got consistent packet loss when pinging my default gateway (which is my first hop out).

I called their office almost every day to report trouble. Their customer service rep's were ignorant and did not understand anything technical. I finally talked to a supervisor when I threatened to cancel my service. She looked in to it and agreed that something was not right. She then put me in contact with their "Telephone & Internet Manager" who was somewhat helpful at first. He had me do some speed tests and try a few things. This lasted a few days until he just quit answering my calls & stopped responding to my e-mails.

On six different occasions I was told that a technician would come out. Of those six, someone only showed up twice. One of them even told me that some packet loss is normal for where I live.

I hope my review saves someone the headache that I've been through with this company. They have over-sold their internet service and can't keep up with demand. They won't go the extra mile to help their customers and they come up with excuses instead of fixing a problem.

------------------------- UPDATE -------------------------

In February 2013, I decided to try Cass Comm again. Their speed tiers changed and I was hoping for the best. I had good luck with them for almost 9 months...and that's when I started having more problems.

1. My speeds started slowing down.
2. Netflix could no longer stream to my PS3.

I e-mailed their tech support and went back & forth for a while. He finally dispatched a field technician to test my connection. Of course he said the connection was fine, but I was still having problems. When I told him about the Netflix streaming issue he said "Yeah, another guy had that too. You gotta delete some file or somethin."

The in-house tech stopped replying to my e-mails so I canceled the service and went back to DSL. I am much happier now that I am back with CenturyLink.

member for 5.7 years, 527 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by linicx See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Great Service and Tech Support"
Overall "Good Value. Good equipment. Reliable connection as promised"

·TracFone Wireless
2-11-2011.

I started with Century Link with a year contract before I realized I could get cable. The service and product was worse than abysmal. I expected better from a national telephone company. I dumped it after nine months of no real service and switched to Cass Communications. That was over two years ago. I have not been disappointed.

I've had rural Internet for 18 years and did tech work for my local ISP. I understand the problems of rural connectivity the biggest of which is anticipating the need for a bigger pipe. There is little I have not seen or experienced in these years.

After the snafu and added expense the Century Link office in Pekin caused me, Casscomm was a glorious breath of fresh air. I have the cable, VOIP, Internet bundle and I am generally well pleased. Currently Cass is upgrading. I know from 18 years of suffering through upgrades on 8 systems in three states what this means. I wish upgrading a system was as easy as flipping a switch, but it isn't. It begins with a call for more bandwidth and ends when customers have a newer and better system. In between the two ends is a massive amount of hardware, cable, connectors, wires, man power and finally comes the new software, And It all has to fit together like a Jigsaw puzzle. Until then the existing internet connection will be slow, and there will intermittent periods of no Internet, no VOIP and no cable. Cass has been quietly upgrading and each one has been better than the previous. I look forward to the newest finished project and I am excited. .

I have the Arris modem that has proven to be a good choice. It is a very stable and reliable piece of equipment. The VOIP is solid with less dropped calls than the cell phone. It's a big plus where I live.

I recently upgraded to the second tier speed. I tested it in Chicago, Dallas, LA and, DC. The difference between the four is not worth talking about.

member for 11.8 years, 3510 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by denarn See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Greene,IL
Good "blows 830KB/sec. night DLs"
Bad "a few stutters on daytime DLs"
Overall "Great at prem. $ (High Speed Cable Modem #2 $39.95/m)"

Very few stutters
premium (High Speed Cable Modem #3 $59.95/m 4M download, 256k upload)
2 day (weekday) turnaround

my own modem (LINKSYS CM100-RM)

Other option: Verizon DSL

Cass Communications

member for 14.6 years, 102 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by sprint4 See Profile

• Location: Manito,Mason,IL
Good "Good service, and nice to be able to get a cable connection outside of a small farm town."
Bad "I live a mile from town, and sometimes when the wind blows my connection slows down."
Overall "I would recommend this service. It is just as fast as anything in a larger urban area."

Have the basic 3000/256 kbps connection. Costs about $30 /mo. I got this in addition to digital cable package, and got a few dollars off.

Motorola Surfboard cable modem, gives long lasting (almost static) public IP's by DHCP. All ports but 25 seem to be open.

Comments:

Review by spectrumdm See Profile

• Location: White Hall,Greene,IL
Good "pretty reliable"
Bad "terrible speed"
Overall "Sticking with it"

I got this because there was nothing else in the area. For the last 6 years they've been "working on it". Speed is abysmal. Seldom over 300 kb/s download.

Update in March 2008. After extensive work on the system, we're now able to get almost 700 kb/s. They're talking now about more work that'll get us up to 1mb.

I can't get a static IP from our local Verizon office or I'd have already changes. I guess I'll stick with it. 700 kb/s isn't bad. I just get jealous when I come here and see the speeds everyone else is getting.