Cass Communications page on DSLReports

Review by jester805 See Profile

• Location: Manito,Mason,IL
Good "Smaller company so easy to get a hold of a supervisor"
Bad "Slow internet connection speeds and packet loss"
Overall "Not worth the headache. Get another provider if you can"

In 2010 I moved to a new house and found the local cable provider to be Cass Communications. They have three internet speed tiers (3 Mbit for $39, 7 Mbit for $59, and 10 Mbit for $99).

I signed up for their 7 Mbit service and had problems from day one! My download speeds were consistently between 1 Mbit & 2 Mbit. (I tested from different servers & different times of day). I also got consistent packet loss when pinging my default gateway (which is my first hop out).

I called their office almost every day to report trouble. Their customer service rep's were ignorant and did not understand anything technical. I finally talked to a supervisor when I threatened to cancel my service. She looked in to it and agreed that something was not right. She then put me in contact with their "Telephone & Internet Manager" who was somewhat helpful at first. He had me do some speed tests and try a few things. This lasted a few days until he just quit answering my calls & stopped responding to my e-mails.

On six different occasions I was told that a technician would come out. Of those six, someone only showed up twice. One of them even told me that some packet loss is normal for where I live.

I hope my review saves someone the headache that I've been through with this company. They have over-sold their internet service and can't keep up with demand. They won't go the extra mile to help their customers and they come up with excuses instead of fixing a problem.

------------------------- UPDATE -------------------------

In February 2013, I decided to try Cass Comm again. Their speed tiers changed and I was hoping for the best. I had good luck with them for almost 9 months...and that's when I started having more problems.

1. My speeds started slowing down.
2. Netflix could no longer stream to my PS3.

I e-mailed their tech support and went back & forth for a while. He finally dispatched a field technician to test my connection. Of course he said the connection was fine, but I was still having problems. When I told him about the Netflix streaming issue he said "Yeah, another guy had that too. You gotta delete some file or somethin."

The in-house tech stopped replying to my e-mails so I canceled the service and went back to DSL. I am much happier now that I am back with CenturyLink.

Comments:

Review by spectrumdm See Profile

• Location: White Hall,Greene,IL
Good "pretty reliable"
Bad "terrible speed"
Overall "Sticking with it"

I got this because there was nothing else in the area. For the last 6 years they've been "working on it". Speed is abysmal. Seldom over 300 kb/s download.

Update in March 2008. After extensive work on the system, we're now able to get almost 700 kb/s. They're talking now about more work that'll get us up to 1mb.

I can't get a static IP from our local Verizon office or I'd have already changes. I guess I'll stick with it. 700 kb/s isn't bad. I just get jealous when I come here and see the speeds everyone else is getting.

Comments: