Cass Communications page on DSLReports

Review by linicx See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Great Service and Tech Support"
Overall "Good Value. Good equipment. Reliable connection as promised"

·TracFone Wireless
2-11-2011.

I started with Century Link with a year contract before I realized I could get cable. The service and product was worse than abysmal. I expected better from a national telephone company. I dumped it after nine months of no real service and switched to Cass Communications. That was over two years ago. I have not been disappointed.

I've had rural Internet for 18 years and did tech work for my local ISP. I understand the problems of rural connectivity the biggest of which is anticipating the need for a bigger pipe. There is little I have not seen or experienced in these years.

After the snafu and added expense the Century Link office in Pekin caused me, Casscomm was a glorious breath of fresh air. I have the cable, VOIP, Internet bundle and I am generally well pleased. Currently Cass is upgrading. I know from 18 years of suffering through upgrades on 8 systems in three states what this means. I wish upgrading a system was as easy as flipping a switch, but it isn't. It begins with a call for more bandwidth and ends when customers have a newer and better system. In between the two ends is a massive amount of hardware, cable, connectors, wires, man power and finally comes the new software, And It all has to fit together like a Jigsaw puzzle. Until then the existing internet connection will be slow, and there will intermittent periods of no Internet, no VOIP and no cable. Cass has been quietly upgrading and each one has been better than the previous. I look forward to the newest finished project and I am excited. .

I have the Arris modem that has proven to be a good choice. It is a very stable and reliable piece of equipment. The VOIP is solid with less dropped calls than the cell phone. It's a big plus where I live.

I recently upgraded to the second tier speed. I tested it in Chicago, Dallas, LA and, DC. The difference between the four is not worth talking about.

member for 11.8 years, 3537 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by denarn See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Greene,IL
Good "blows 830KB/sec. night DLs"
Bad "a few stutters on daytime DLs"
Overall "Great at prem. $ (High Speed Cable Modem #2 $39.95/m)"

Very few stutters
premium (High Speed Cable Modem #3 $59.95/m 4M download, 256k upload)
2 day (weekday) turnaround

my own modem (LINKSYS CM100-RM)

Other option: Verizon DSL

Cass Communications

member for 14.7 years, 102 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by sprint4 See Profile

• Location: Manito,Mason,IL
Good "Good service, and nice to be able to get a cable connection outside of a small farm town."
Bad "I live a mile from town, and sometimes when the wind blows my connection slows down."
Overall "I would recommend this service. It is just as fast as anything in a larger urban area."

Have the basic 3000/256 kbps connection. Costs about $30 /mo. I got this in addition to digital cable package, and got a few dollars off.

Motorola Surfboard cable modem, gives long lasting (almost static) public IP's by DHCP. All ports but 25 seem to be open.