PenTeleData page on DSLReports

Review by idean See Profile

• Location: Phillipsburg,Warren,NJ
Good "Better than DSL"
Bad "Not nearly as good as FiOS"
Overall "Best available, but needs to step up their game"

Paying for 35/5 business connection. Sometimes I get 33Mbps download, sometimes I get 10, sometimes I get 5. Upload seems to stay steady around 3-4Mbps.

Google considers PenTeleData (which is provided to me by Service Electric Cable TV) to be a Standard Definition network, so that would explain why videos sometimes work fine, and at other times stutter and stop.

»www.google.com/get/videoqualityr ··· li82wTJc

Comments:

Review by aefstoggaflm See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "realible services so far"
Bad "doesn't support IPV6, yet."
Overall "worth the money in my opinion"

·Verizon Online DSL
Tired of Internet down to much with Verizon DSL.

Comments:

Review by jperrella See Profile

• Location: Wilkes Barre,Luzerne,PA
Good "Installer, new modem"
Bad "Data limit, ISP monopolizes area, "big brother" policies, doesn't achieve rated speed"
Overall "When it's all you have I guess it has to do."

I pay for 15Mbps down/1Mbps up and have never been able to exceed 12Mbps down. Quite irritating especially when it's 2013 and I can't stream a 720p YouTube video on my computer.

Also, I have received two letters in the past. One was for copyright infringement (which I didn't commit) and another was for "spamming" (which I also didn't commit). Called tech support for both of them and the spamming letter was a mistake and the copyright infringement letter was because of an open WiFi connection (sort of my fault but I set my router up late at night and didn't put WEP key one it until the next morning). The point is why are they watching my activity so closely? Another thing was that apparently servers are "illegal" according to their contract terms, so does this mean that the HP Home Server that I bought completely legally from HP's website for holding all of my stuff is now against the law? Guess what guys, I'm not shutting it down.

Really I think it comes down to Pen Tele Data owning the complete monopoly here in Wilkes-Barre. There are literally NO other cable Internet providers, they aren't permitted to use the lines in the city. The only alternatives are Frontier DSL (who caps off at 3Mbps down) and dial-up. Honestly, lord help PTD if they ever lose that monopoly.

Technically, I buy Internet service through Service Electric Cable (a very good cable provider), but PTD supplies them and tech support for Internet is turn over to PTD as well.

The supplied Motorola modem was quite nice however and was surprisingly DOCSIS 3 compatible.

Comments:

Review by textech See Profile

• Location: Highland Lakes,Sussex,NJ
Good "With the 30 Mbps, it is very fast and reliable"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "If you do not mind cost, very good Cable Internet Service"

I use the PTD Cable Internet service for our family use. We utilize most of our entertainment using Netfilx Instant Watch, HULU and Amazon On Demand. This Service can handle multiple Users acessing the High Def format of TV/Movie viewing online without a hitch. There was no DSL Service in my area capable of doing this. I tried them all and this Cable Service is the only one that allowed High Def streaming consistantly.

Comments:

Review by efithian See Profile

• Location: Orefield,Lehigh,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Fairly high down speed (10Mbps) Cable Modem"
Bad "Fairly low up speed (0.75Mbps)"
Overall "Fastest available at present - FIOS is 2 blocks away"

My connection with SECTV/Penteledata is supposed to deliver 10Mbps down ($55). At off hours it gets about 9.5, but a few hours either side of 9pm it drops to 1 to 3. SECTV does give credit for low speeds, but it is not easy to do this. If you call the nexst day to complain they will not give a credit, since it is no longer slow. You must call while the speed is down, which is usually at about 9 pm. The credit given on the $55 10Mbps speed is $25 per month, but you must call every month. I have been doing this for the past 8 months. The credit is based on the cost of a 3Mbps connection, which goes for $30 per month.

There is also a restriction on downloading too much (?) data during prime time, defined as 5pm to 1am. I believe they frown on downloading more than 80GB per month during prime time. This is usually not a problem since the speed is so slow at this time. Their usenet service also has severe restrictions.

They provide 1GB of space for a web page which can be accessed with an ftp program. There is a size limit restriction of 20mb per individual file, not noted on their web page. This pretty much eliminates putting a video on your web page. Otherwise the web hosting works and it is free unless you go over the 1GB limit, The second 1GB costs $50 additional per month.

Mail is now IMAP.

Comments:

Review by sbhusted See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "Stable, Good Speeds, No limitations due to commercial agreement"
Bad "They depend on Service Electric"
Overall "It has been extremely reliable and stable."

UPDATE 3 August 2011

I'm now on 6.0 / 1.5 service for $59 a month with a 3yr contract. Ever since they moved me to a new node, by connection has been absolutely rock solid and reliable. I've been very pleased and really have no complaints about the service.

UPDATE 2 August 2009

Two weeks from reporting the initial problem of bandwidth. Earlier this week I got a message that they installed the new router for my area, etc. Today, I got a message stating that they expect to "turn it on WITHIN 30 DAYS". Wow, that's some FANTASTIC service there. I guess my business can just go on hiatus while they sit around deciding when it's time to "turn it on". Although this is more of a Service Electric Cable issue than PenTeleData - my contract is with PenTeleData. It's not my responsibility to deal with SEC.

UPDATE August 2009

Over the last couple months I've noticed my download speeds deteriorating. Nothing major, but I noticed during peak hours instead of the 4.0 I was getting when I first signed up that I was getting more like 3.0 on average. However, over the last several weeks it has gotten worse to the point when doing speed tests using their tool - I'm averaging between 400kbs - 600kbs down speed!! They've admitted that my node is over subscribed but they are waiting for service electric to move me to a new node - which they tell me I'm scheduled for in a 'few days'. However, it's been almost a week and I'm still only getting about 10% - 20% of the bandwidth I'm paying $80 a month for in a Commercial contract. I'm not happy at all with this situation first of all in regards to them allowing it to get to this point, but I'm also not happy with the fact that I'm not getting any concrete time frame for resolution to this problem. I realize they can't guarantee 4.0 at all times... but we're talking about 400-600kbs! That's about 33% of what I was getting with a 1.5 DLS line!

---------------------------------

I was with COVAD via DSL for years - I think close to 8. I always had good service with them, but then they moved tech support to India and it just became infuriating trying to solve the problem I was having with line noise. It was fine for 7+ years but recently began to have issues with upstream noise. I paid $79.99 for 3.0/768 service but I was only getting 384 or so up and would occasionally experience loss of sync when it was pushed. Tried two different modems as well.

I decided to try cable and got 4.0/768 service from PenTeleData for the same price - plus it is a commercial package so I don't have any limitations on it's usage (Within legal limits, etc. of course). I've only had it for a little over a month but it's been a rock and no issues at all. Speeds are almost always at or above advertised.

Installation was great. The installer was very professional and friendly. He answered all questions and did a very clean job on the inside wire running and a fantastic job running the wire outside our house to the pole. You hardly see it. I think they quoted me installation within 14 days but they were there the same week I ordered.

So far so good!

member for 14.8 years, 805 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by moresuo See Profile

• Location: Stewartsville,Warren,NJ
Good "Its available"
Bad "Incredibly slow uplink speeds"
Overall "Yesterday's technology today"

I am in an area of NJ [Warren County] not well serviced by the top tier IT technology providers doing business in New Jersey. I can get poor quality DSL service from Verizon, or PenTeleData cable service through Service Electric Cable-TV or satellite service. All the choices are bad compared to that readily provided in the rest of the state by Time Warner, Optimum, CableVision and Verizon FiOS.

The problem with cable monopolies is known by most. Service Electric has this area all to itself because no one else will bid. It is so bad here that up till four years ago we still had POTS uplink for cable. I have to try to make due with 700kbs uplink speed to service my two internet connected hi-def streaming DVD's [for NetLink and other internet based video, my VoIP phone, X-box, and other standard internet services [email, web, etc]. It's not cutting it.

I miss my Optimum Online service where I use to live, with its 15meg downstream and 2meg upstream connections.

I've called and complained. Service Electric blames PenTeleData. PenTeleData blames Service Electric. Verizon has no plans in the foreseeable future to bring FiOS into this area. In other words, I'm screwed.

Comments:

Review by missymssy See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Dauphin,PA
Good "convient to bundle with TV"
Bad "connection always out, speed terrible, caps..."
Overall "if I had any other options, I wouldn't go with this one!"

****I am NOT in Dauphin County anymore. Luzerne county!

As I've seen others comment, I also would have to say this is the WORST ISP I've had. It's not worth half the money. I have Skyangel TV (IPTV), which is constanstly "sticking" due to the lousy speed, even though I upgraded as much as I'm going to. Two months after I was in, I also got the infamous "you're over your bandwith limit" letter.

As frustrating as all that is, I wouldn't mind that much if I didn't lose connection altogether ALL the time. Constantly rebooting the modem. By the way, it IS NOT my router, or my laptops. If I reboot the cable modem (that custom service always says is fine), it connects! Hmm, sounds like it's NOT fine.

In short, until something else comes along, I'm stuck with this

Comments:

Review by Ivybridge_I7 See Profile

• Location: Wilkes Barre,Luzerne,PA
Good "realible service, very good cutomer support"
Bad "doesn't support IPV6"
Overall "worth the money in my opinion"

PenTeleData / Pro-log offer three tiers (1 meg, 10 megs, 30 megs) of broadband with the 30megs being quite pricey ,but I am sure well worth the asking price . PenTeleData /Prolog uses Motorola cable modems to provide their service. The only thing that I found that I didn't like about this internet provider is that they don't provide

port 443 (S.S.L.) when using a email client. I was told most that their cable broadband ( which Service Electric cable Television uses) utilizes fiber cable up on the telephone poles with coaxial being used on the drop downs to the access points. This would explain the high reliability in their service even during very bad weather conditions.

member for 10.8 years, 897 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by flux8 See Profile

• Location: Mount Carmel,Northumberland,PA
Good "faster than dial up (when you are ALLOWED to use it)"
Bad "hidden caps during PRIME TIME not revealed until you pass them"
Overall "i have had over 10 isp's over the years, this is THE WORST"

hello

so i moved to PA from NY, right near centralia (so i can be sure THEY arent hogging all the bandwidth) and needed an isp. i hate verizon since way back when for many reasons so that seemed an awful choice and there was the local company who goes through penteledata so i chose them.

i signed up for their platinum plan 10 down 1 up, it took them over a week to get an installer out with the motorola surfboard modem and a (garbage) free wireless router (this was my first clue that i was in trouble) compared to optimum online i had in new york getting a bucket truck out and running a whole new line from the pole in an afternoon 1 day because my signal was erratic. so finally having it set up i checked my speed, yea it was 10 mb down not 10 Mb...great. well i already signed the contract so may as well keep going and make the best of it.

1 month later right after my first bill i got a notice about going over the bandwidth cap...by alot.. i use the internet for EVERYTHING! i dont have a phone line, i dont get cable tv, i play online games way more than average. so i call them up and except switching to a very expensive business account there is nothing i can do to remove the cap. let me explain this further...

the cap (i think mine was 90 gigs, but i have heard other people have different numbers) exists for "peak hours" thats 5 pm to 1 am- asin the time that the internet is most useful because the most people are on it. thats 1/3 of the day! and this was NEVER mentioned anywhere on their web site or anywhere else! in essence it makes it so i cant stream movies, cant upload movies to my own family members, cant use voip (though that is sometimes an issue anyways because they rate their speed on "burst" not sustained) or play games without tearing through this arbitrary cap. aol, prodigy, net zero, juno, road runner, optimum, or any other never have i dealt with this nonsense!

they are the WORST broadband provider i have ever heard of in the united states, im paying premium prices (considering the pathetic speed they offer) to use the internet when it is LEAST convenient for me! i suppose i am to resort to calling people at 3 am because that is when my isp will allow me the bandwidth to do so? only watching netflix in the mornings? it has pretty much killed my online gaming habits, "sorry guys i cant do anything because my isp is filth".

i can only hope that verizon gets FIOS out here because at that point i will swallow my pride and sign up with them again. if you are taking the time to read this you must be doing your research like a proper consumer, dont get taken.