USI Wireless page on DSLReports

Good "They are cheap"
Bad "They can't deliver as promised"
Overall "Not worth it.I'm back to Comcast, getting more for less."

I have been with USI since 2008. I had the cheapest connection they

offered. It was ok. I was not getting the 1.5 MBPS they were charging me

66 or, but it was good enough for me to email, pay bills and surf. I then changed jobs and was able to work at home a day or two a week. Just needed reliable internet so my staff could talk to me. For the past 3 months I have been paying for 3MBPS but getting 1MBPS. So not what I was paying for I have called the tech desk. They are rude and condescending. I have to

wait weeks for a tech to come out. Was told by USI staff that if I went to

Comcast it would cost me over $100 and still would have to wait weeks. Hmmmm. Went on the Comcast site and since I have cable TV with them I'm

getting 15 MBPS for 26.99. No contract, no special limited time. That is the price. No fee for install since I am already a customer. Oh and the best part. They will be at my house at 5pm tonight to hook me up. I had to jump though several hoops to cxl my USI account. Not customer service friendly. I like to work with local companies. But I expect to get

the service they sell me. I do not expect to hear cop-outs as to why they

can't deliver, but they can charge my card the full amt. If this company can't deliver then why do they have the Minneapolis Contract 3F There have to be other companies out there who can do better. I will be contacting my city council member to voice my concern on this company.

(review was emailed from domain aexp.com)

Comments:

Review by progpen See Profile

Good "Least expensive option available."
Bad "Quality is subpar."
Overall "Possibly the better option for casual users."

We've had the service since it was first offered in our area about 1 1/2 years ago. Quality started out very good, bordering on excellent. Speed was as advertised, which is always a welcome surprise.

After about 6 - 8 months, the quality started to degrade slowly until now I've decided to go back to Qwest. Service techs have been to the house several times. This last time they put an outside directional antenna on the house (2 1/2 blocks away from the access point) and after a week it's obvious that the quality has not improved.

Comments:

Review by ccode See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Cheapest Broadband in town, with yearly contract"
Bad "Occasional random dropouts"
Overall "Best bargain, but not the fastest or most reliable"

I've been a customer of USI Minneapolis Wireless Broadband for more than a year now and it has become considerably more reliable as time has gone on. After the first year I upgraded my service from 3Mbps to 6Mbps and have been quite pleased with the upgrade. When performing long downloads I can still see random, short outages occur, but this is infrequent and it rarely lasts more than a minute. Speed does vary with time of day, and thus is subject to the load of others sharing the network. In off hours though, I can definitely hit 6Mb with no probs. U/L is pretty steady at just below 1Mb. I have had no occasion to call their service line in the last 8 months, so I can offer no comment on their support other than that it has not been necessary to use it.

Note that I am directly across the street from the nearest wireless node and have an uninterrupted line of sight between the Ruckus router and their antenna. I have spoken to a number of nearby neighbors who live in the middle of their blocks who have not been successful in acquiring a good signal, so your mileage may vary significantly from mine. But for those of us for whom the service works well, it is a very good bargain considering the cost of the other broadband options available.

Comments:

Review by nels1678 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Cheap, reasonably fast, stable once setup correctly"
Bad "Can slow down/fail if there is interference, no static IPs, and NAT"
Overall "Worth Getting"

Short Summary:

Works surprisingly well given that the nearest antenna is two blocks away with garages and trees in the way. I'm using a ruckus modem with a 6db gain directional antenna sitting on a window frame on our first floor. Fastest speed I've gotten so far is about 700KB/s down and about 40-50KB/s up with most downloads operating in the 300-400KB/s region. Ping times are around 100ms to big sites. Originally I had problems with my wireless access point interfering with the Ruckus modem but changing the channel from 9 to 3 (anything under 7 should be sufficient) dramatically improved throughput. Tech Support was slow (took 15 minutes to talk to someone) but excellent once I got through. I'm a bit nervous how the trees might affect the signal once the leaves fill in, but currently am pleased with the service. There are no static IPs with the service, and you are stuck with an internal IP address with (seemingly) no port forwarding options. Despite this, it's excellent service for the price and a valid option for most people.

Full Review:

Like many of you that are reading this review, I had been considering trying Minneapolis Wifi for a while, but was nervous about many of the problems early adopters were having with the service. Many years ago I was on Qwest DSL. When I moved into my house we got Roadrunner cable, and eventually that turned into Comcast.

Let me begin by telling you why I wanted to get away from Comcast. First, when they took over for Roadrunner in Minnesota, they promised rates wouldn't increase. Two months later they changed their tune and increased our bill by $15 to roughly $60/month. Second, they started interfering with bit torrent traffic causing all kinds of problems (which is how World of Warcraft amongst other services distribute software updates). Third, they started having recurring problems with their AT&T backbone which caused major slowdowns and made it impossible to play online games. Forth, they are in bed with the RIAA who have sued and intimidated far too many innocent people for me to even indirectly support them.

So finally, after much delay and complaining about Comcast, I finally decided to give Minneapolis WIFI a try. Unfortunately our house is located about two blocks from either of the nearest antennas and so the woman I spoke to on the phone said it was possible we might not be able to get the 6Mbit/s service. If not, they would either give us a full refund or allow us to downgrade to a lower speed service. I ordered the 6Mbit/s service on a monthly basis as a trial.

A technician was scheduled to come out to our house about 5 days later. He came on time and was quite knowledgeable about the product and how to get a good signal. After some fussing with the ruckus modem and trying different antennas, he was able to get roughly 5Mbit/s which I agreed was good enough given where our house is located in relation to the street antenna. I noticed after he left that he had broken the electrical outlet plug he had removed to plug the modem in and had left the pieces laying on the floor without telling us. Normally this wouldn't have been a big deal, but we have a 19 month old infant in the house. Small plastic pieces like that are a major choking hazard. A shame because otherwise he did a great job.

After he left I set about getting our home network set up again including our wireless access point. Between our stucco walls and the distance to the Minneapolis WIFI antenna, none of our wireless devices are able to directly connect to the Minneapolis system. Instead, I have our wireless access point connected to the Ruckus modem and have our devices connect to that just like we did with Comcast.

After getting everything set up, I noticed that the throughput was much lower than what the technician was getting. I was getting anywhere from 500Kbit/s to 1Mbit/s down, and about 380Kbit/s up. I called tech support and had to wait on hold for 15 minutes before getting to talk to someone. Once I finally got through it was much better. The tech knew his stuff and was able to check and see that my access point and the Ruckus were interfering with each other. I had forgotten that I had set the access point to channel 9 which can interfere with channel 11 which the Minneapolis WIFI operates on. You are generally safe if you are at least 5 channels away meaning that 1, 6, and 11 won't interfere with each other, while channels in between will have some overlap. I changed it to 3 and everything started working much better.

Over all the performance is decent. Ping times for major sites like google and slashdot hover around 80-100ms. Best download speed I've ever seen was about 700KB/s to the UMN ubuntu mirror, though often it's slower in the 300-400KB/s region. DSLReports flash speed test seems to fluctuate and I'm suspicious that I may still be having some signal problems, though over all it's quite usable. I'm considering buying or building a higher gain antenna and mounting it to my roof with more direct line of site to the Minneapolis Antenna. That would likely help solve any possible connectivity issues. If you are having problems you might want to try a parabolic antenna like one of the following and see if it helps improve your signal:

»www.fab-corp.com/home.php?cat=251

If you get one make sure to aim it well as these are highly directional!

The only other item worth mentioning is that there are no static IP options available, and even if you just want to run SSH or some other service on your system you are stuck with an internal NATed IP address. As far as I can tell there are no port forwarding options. If you don't know what this means you likely won't care, but it could be something to consider if you want to run your own servers. In that case, Qwest DSL service with VISI or IPHouse as the ISP might be more appropriate.

Bottom line:

If you are expecting comcast 1.5MB/s speeds you will be disappointed, but for the price it's quite reasonable and sufficient for all but the most die hard users. Personally I'm pleased with the service so far, and barring any additional problems will be buying the Modem and signing up for a longer subscription. If you've been curious about Minneapolis Wifi but have been nervous about the bad reviews, I'd suggest giving it a try. Service appears to have improved considerably compared to when some of the previous reviews were written. It's pretty risk free as you can go month to month to start out, rent the modem instead of buying it, and they'll refund your installation cost if the tech can't get a good signal. Over all I'd say it's worth getting.

Comments:

Review by bmarquis See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Great price"
Bad "Inconsistent service"
Overall "Only sign up if you don't care about consistent speeds."

I have had a love/hate relationship with this service, but ultimately have concluded that I will not renew my contract when it expires. I was excited to begin this service and signed up for the cheapest plan at my earliest opportunity. During the first couple of months, I experienced a great deal of intermittent service with many breaks and dips in speed. I was willing to forgive these issues because it was a new service. I'm about a block and a half from a node, so I decided to invest in a high-gain antenna and it improved my reception and the stability improved eventually over the following months. I decided to upgrade to the highest speed service (up to 6Mbps).

I often have significantly lower speeds (less than 1Mbps) particularly during prime time (6-11PM). Of course, prime-time is when I would be at home using the internet most frequently so this is the speed that I typically experience. I have spent over $100 on new antennas and equipment and have found little increase in speed.

I'm a cheap man so I love the price of this service, but I can't justify spending money on a service that can't be counted on. My bottom line is that I would only get this service if you didn't care about large inconsistencies in speed, i.e. you were not interested watching streaming media online or playing games. Otherwise, it's worth the extra money to go with any other service available in the Twin Cities.

Comments:

Review by afried See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "City-wide WIFI access, Cost"
Bad "Extremely intermittent service. Spent too much time moving the antenna around the house."
Overall "Will be moving back to Comcast"

Ordered 6Mbps package. Have yet to hit 4Mbps in the last 2 months. Since the foliage has filled in trees, service has dropped dramatically. Tech support claims that the system was set up to spec and for urban environment. Obviously, urban Minneapolis has too many trees.

Tech support expects users to have lots of technical experience.

Comments:

Review by tmanson See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Low price."
Bad "Does not work."
Overall "I am unsure that the company will get it fixed."

I have been fighting an intermittent connection for months. I have gotten many different stories from tech support. I have purchased a new router and cables, and pulled cables through walls in order to locate the router far enough away to satisfy tech support. I have purchased a cantenna to improve signal strength. I am 50 ft from the node, so I should not need any antenna at all. I just started having DSL reports monitor my connection and there is 100% packet loss over half the time. Company says they will come out and see what is up with my setup, however I have talked to my neighbor and he has the same problem. So I do not know what can be fixed at my house.

I believe that USI knows what is up and is telling stories in order to appease customers long enough to fix the issues. Their stories have cost me over $200 in stuff (router, cables, antenna, line monitoring) to fix a problem that did not exist (IMHO). Last night I emailed USI the spread sheet showing that my service was poo. The line monitoring shows my service has been good since then, Coincidence??? If my theory is correct, then I wonder what executive(s) made the decision to not tell the truth? I sucks that my tax money is helping out this company.

I will see if the onsite people give me a call. If a tech comes out it will be interesting to see what is found. I will give it a week or two, but then I will be forced to get working internet service if USI cannot deliver.

Comments:

Review by buckyreal7 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Speed when working, Good value compared to DSL"
Bad "Flakes out, especially in the evening and Sunday for some reason"
Overall "Still waiting for stable connection"

I live in a very dense neighborhood with a very large amount of private Wi-Fi networks.

I get a strong signal, it just seems that there is a lot of noise/static causing tons and tons of re-sent packets, over 80% at times. That's a lot of overhead.

There has been a couple quiet days when I got close to the 3 Megabit speed that I am supposedly signed up for.

I have given them a 1 week ultimatum to a) tell me what is causing my poor connection quality, and give me a good reason to wait for them to fix it, and FIX IT or b) disconnect my service and give me a refund.

I am on my third modem. I don't think there was anything wrong with the first two. The problem lies in some major source of radio interference in the neighborhood... a generator, a poorly shielded 1/2 broken microwave (in heavy use), a poorly configured high power Wireless N network... MTC Bus or cab radios or something!

Comments:

Review by dyussen See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Great Value. Better Than DSL, and Simple Setup. 24/7 Support."
Bad "Tech Support Not Helpful. Home WIFI network not supported."
Overall "Great service for your money. Support the city initiative!"

Switched from Comcast to USI Wireless in December and gave it a try. The early users had bad experiences but improvements have come gradually. My service is not as fast as Comcast but faster than DSL. Speedtest.net avg test DL 2+Mbps/1Mbps. The tech support refused to answer any questions about home networking; when I connected Ruckus to Linksys the speed deteriorated vs hard line. But I then discovered the Ruckus has it's own WiFi Router capability built-in. You just have to turn it on and set up a pw in the Setup screen. It worked instantly and is very fast. I've only had a signal break maybe once/month on average and a router reset fixed it each time.

My opinion is your service will depend on where you live. Try it monthly and if it's good, switch to prepaid. $19/month for this compared to $43 for comcast. No comparison - plus you get to support this innovative city initiative.

Comments:

Review by mwoodling See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Quick, easy sign-up; cheaper than cable or DSL; can get started the same day"
Bad "Unreliable (even with the Ruckus modem), out of service for over 2 days; too much packet loss"
Overall "Not yet ready for prime time"

The first Ruckus modem failed and USI replaced it. The service has failed completely the last 2 days when accessing through the rented modem. USI says they are are working with the infrastructure access point manufacturer on a fix. They think it will be resolved "by the end of the month". Wow.

Disappointed that I have to use a modem in my house even though the AP is only about 120 feet away. It is usable without the modem in only a couple of places in my house.

Speed is as advertized when it's working. Seems to be usable outside everywhere I've tried in the working service areas.