VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by rfs0123 See Profile

• Location: Attleboro,Bristol,MA
Good "Cheap, but at a cost; features"
Bad "Voice quality, reliability"
Overall "Not worth the aggravation"

We changed from Comcast Voice a little over a year ago to VOIPO, which offered similar services with more features and at a lower cost. We've had various issues from the beginning, including dropped calls, calls that would ring then one or the other party could not hear the other when connected. Most recently we lost the ability to check voice mails from the VOIPO number, although you could check them on line or via email, or by calling from an outside number. Yesterday after having many different issues, including the ability to make or receive calls, I rebooted everything, including the modem, ATA and wireless router. All seemed to be working again until today, when it started all over. I contacted support, was asked a few questions (position of ATA in Que, whether the adapter was connected to a single phone or house phone wiring and whether the adapter was plugged directly into the wall. Response was 1st after modem, yes, connected to house phone wiring and no, connected to a UPS. This was the response from their support staff:

"From: Erik H (support@voipo.com) 03:21PM 10/22/2012
Hello,

We do not support the use of in house phone wiring. The equipment we provide is not designed to be used with in house phone wiring. Using it can damage the adapter. Please connect your phones in directly to the adapter and let us know if any issues continue.

Thanks,
Erik H"

I haven't had a single phoned house since the 1960's and even then I had an extension or three. If this is this true, what value can they possibly be to anyone, unless living in a single bedroom apartment?

I'm obviously at the end of my rope and more importantly, my wife's rope, which will shortly be around my neck for making this change.

Comments:

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

Inside wiring

To be fair, they don't support house wiring because it can add a lot of hassle to troubleshooting. In the past they've had me plug my phone directly in to troubleshoot, then when the issue is resolved I connect my home wiring back up. Also, if your in-house wiring is still connected to the phone company, it absolutely can damage the ATA.

Even the phone company won't support inside wiring unless you pay extra!
The goal of the broadcast engineer is to get all the meters on the transmitter to go as far to the right as possible!!
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

1 recommendation

Reply from VOIPo Owner

Hello rfs0123,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw your review here.

Unfortunately we don't officially support house wiring because all houses are wired differently and without actually seeing it, we don't know how it's all wired, etc. If there is any other stuff running through the same wiring or connected in any way (even if not being used by you...the regular phone company could still be running through it unless physically disconnected outside), then that other current could damage the device or shorten its life. Without seeing what's what, we can't officially support house wiring.

The other reason we don't officially support house wiring officially is that the adapters only put out a limited amount of power and sometimes that's not enough to power a house that has a ton of jacks or devices wired up and that can cause sporadic problems. I can't tell you how many times we have people that are experiencing a ton of issues and then their issues go away when they (at our request) connect the phone directly to the device. This is a big variable since all houses are wired differently.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't use house wiring...many advanced users do if they're 100% sure their wiring has nothing else going through it and it's a reasonable amount for the small device to handle.

What it does mean though is that we can't officially support it or help you with it while connected to house wiring. We're more than happy to help if you connect a phone directly to the device even if it's temporarily. We just can't provide support with the phone connected to wiring that we know nothing about and have no control over since that's known to cause issues.

In a nutshell, our support policy is that we can only provide support when the device is connected in a direct way since that rules out the wiring as causing any issues.

I know it might be frustrating for you that we can't support your house wiring, but I hope that the above reasons at least help you understand somewhat why we have that policy.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com if you have any further questions. Thank you for your business!

Best Regards,

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO
VOIPo.com
rfs0123

join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

Re: Reply from VOIPo Owner

Just as an update, I removed the house wiring from the equation and connected my base station directly to the Grandstream ATA, then did a total reboot of the modem, ATA & router, in that order. In limited testing, I still had dial outs to silence and drop calls when we actually did make it through. VOIPO support did get back to me with a download link to check my connect/setup, which I'll try tonight to see whether our problem is external.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

Home wiring... 20th century

This is not a comment on VOIPo; but most cordless phones nowadays are sold with a base and many handsets. I haven't used home wiring since 2003... It probably wouldn't work if I tried landline today
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues
rfs0123

join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

Re: Home wiring... 20th century

I removed the exterior connection to Verizon years ago. My house wiring basically less than 100 ft of telephone copper wire installed from the basement to the 1st floor, where I have one wireless base with four wireless phones. The only other phone on the system is an older style 'wired' phone in the event the power goes down. My modem, ATA & router are on a UPS, which can give me around 30 minutes of use, bust mostly to protect the system from power variations and flicker outages.

Review by Freddy12 See Profile

• Location: Westbury,Nassau,NY
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unreliable, dropped calls everdyay, calls go directly to voice mail without ringing, caller ID erratic"
Overall "Unreliable at best, erratic, go elsewhere if you actually want your phone to work"

Voipo is the worst phone service I've ever had (had Vonage, Opt voice, Verizon, etc, all better). Nothing but dropped calls, calls going direct to voice mail and not even ringing my phone, terrible customer service who just say, after waiting in hold, and getting dropped 2-3 times, "this should fix it", and it never does. Also, Caller ID does not work either. Then they don't even answer your emails! TERRIBLE, even Vonage is better, and they are pretty bad. STEER CLEAR OF VOIPO. It's cheap for a reason...it's TERRIBLE, despite having a very fast 25/5 FIOS very reliable internet connection.

Despite dozens of attempts of working with Voipo to resolve all these issues, the problems never improved, regardless of what ridiculous reasons they kept telling me (must bypass house wiring and plug base units directly into VOIPO adaptor, so you must go into utility closet to make calls...can't plug into a power strip or it will "damage" the unit?!? WHAT?!?) . Then they just ignore your emails, and you can't get through on phone for live person. Just a nightmare. Voipo is totally unreliable, and has a mind of it's own, and I constantly miss important calls from doctors, family, co-workers, etc, despite my phone being on and waiting to ring. They go right to voice mail no matter what settings we tried. Then they tell me "you must re-boot it everyday for it to work right". If you are lucky enough to actually get a call to go through, your whole conversation goes like this "can you hear me now...how about now...hello...can you hear me now?". DO NOT GET VOIPO, your cell phone is way more reliable and that's not saying much.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

Apparent local problem

I've had VOIPo for years (and have renewed through 2014) - their service has been mostly flawless. Every time I pick up the phone it just works.

Perhaps if your adapter is sitting behind a firewall, it's a firewall configuration issue.

Review by JAXx See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Provides good service for others, but not for me"
Bad "Over time the service got less and less reliable and despite many attempts by tech to improve things, it didn't work."
Overall "Not for me"

Slowly over time the service got worse and worse for me. dropped calls, rapid busy signals, callers complained of poor quality and despite many MANY attempts by voipo to fix it, nothing ever worked. Finally they said my internet connection may be bad, time warner came over and replaced the modem but that didn't help. I've cancelled and the new company i'm with is doing great, my callers can all har me just fine. Voipo is probably great for many people, but not for me. Tech support does answer the phone quickly but i rated them down because they can't fix the problem.

member for 14.5 years, 2457 visits, last login: 166 days ago

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

Same for me

I had to cancel.

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "you get what you pay for"
Bad "doesnt work, audio fails, ringing fails, you get what you pay for"
Overall "you get what you pay for"

I CANNOT BE MORE UNHAPPY WITH MY VOIPO SERVICE!!!

IT IS NOT JUST THAT THE SERVICE DOESN'T WORK, EITHER NO AUDIO OR NO RINGING, ETC, BUT THE WORSE PART IS THAT YOU CANNOT CALL A TECH-II AGENT!!!

this has been the most frustrating experience for me and my wife! we keep calling, make an item ticket, get an email, email back, then the tech-ii agent has to call us back and if we miss the call i have to start the whole process over again!

they keep blaming it on our internet service but bottom line is…our vonage phone works great!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

(review was emailed from domain gdeb.com)

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

Amen!!

I cancelled my service.

Review by NYC Girl See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Friendly, Responsive Customer Service, 60 minutes of international calling, a number of great calling features"
Bad "Call quality has deteriorated significantly since installation. Not sure tech support knows how to resolve."
Overall "I CANCELLED MY SERVICE"

UPDATED: 10/19/11

I am sad to report that I had to cancel my service as tech support was not able to help me with my issues. I was looking forward to have inexpensive, unlimited calling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

I just subscribed to Voipo approximately 34 days ago. My service was working beautifully until about a couple of weeks ago. I am now experiencing dropped calls, busy signals, loud noise on line which then I have to hang up and redial, calls going straight to voicemail.

Too much work. I've always been against these Indy VoIP companies; however, Voipo seemed promising, great calling features, great reviews, and was very cheap. I asked them 1,000+ questions before I ordered.

I subscribed to their 24 month special for $149.00 with a vague explanation of a $36.00 taxes and fees charge which you must pay in advance. The ATA is an adapter called Grandstream which Voipo provides which I use with my Linksys 4200 wireless router.

I am quite disappointed that this is not working out for me. I was with Optimum Voice prior to this for $19.99 per month as a triple play deal with Cablevision which gave me no issues whatsoever. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. If it seems too good to be true then maybe it is.

• Location: Ambler,Montgomery,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great features, looked promising."
Bad "Horror story; no service 2x for several days each"

My Horror Story. My research pointed to VOIPo as the best provider for my needs. So I ordered it online and paid for a year's service. Then their emails started coming, one after another for a total of 11! Finally, one said to download, sign and fax in their document. More emails arrived: six more asking for the signed document! Once they had it, it was supposed to take from 20 to 45 business days for my phone number to be transferred. Instead it took two days, and they hadn't even yet shipped the adapter I needed to hook it up. (They refused to delay the transfer and they refused to send the adapter overnight or 2nd day.) So, I was without any phone service for five days. What could be worse? The adapter they sent was fried within days. And again they won't ship a new one out overnight. So, it's no phone service for days yet again. Mistakes happen. But when a company has a policy not to ship something fast -- even when it's justified -- is just plain stupid. It's bad for the customer and bad for their business.

(review was emailed from domain verizon.net)

Comments:

Review by ltm320 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Cost, service, constant feature additions."
Bad "Voice Quality, poor website"
Overall "Works most of the time, if that's enough for you.."

I abandoned my AT&T land line about a year ago for my first attempt at voip.

My experience with Voipo has been mixed. I believe the features are comparable to most voip providers, so I won't review those.

The Voipo "control panel" is functional, but terrible. There's no help menu, and there are features that are not self-explanatory. It's simply flabbergasting they roll out new features without adding simple help screens. It's hard to recommend their service to anyone but the most adventurous.

However .. the final grade depends on voice call quality. I would say that 50% of my calls are perfect .. the other half have some problem or another, either an echo, or a delay. 10% of the calls are bad enough to hang up and try again.

I've opened many tickets with tech support, giving them a chance to fix things, but the truth is, trouble remains, and easily half my calls are not up to par. Whether that is Voipo's fault, or my ISPs, I really don't know -- however, my ISP passes the various tests for voip. (SEE UPDATE BELOW)

I do feel that tech support is pretty decent and responsive. (You can see below, a Voipo representative responding to this review.)

In the end, my wife is pretty irritated with the service level, and after the year is up, I think we need to find a new provider, or go back to POTS.

FINAL UPDATE - I've left Voipo and VOIP.

After a year, and one final month of really terrible phone calls, we've pulled the plug on voip and Voipo and sadly gone back to crystal clear AT&T.

I will not blame Voipo. I'm sure they do their best. The problem is my ISP, and/or the internet in general.

So here's my word to whoever is reading this: Test your ISP many many times. Google the term "voip test" and perform many tests on many different services at varying times during the day and week.

Now, I'd done something like that. Most of the time, the results came back with good scores. But occasionally, I'd get a terrible score. When I'd hang up from a terrible Voipo conversation, I'd do some ISP testing and find my "jitter" score through the roof.

So that's my advice. Test your ISP dozens of times. If you get a bad score here or there, ask yourself "if I was on a phone call right now, it would be terrible. Am I (and my wife) ok with that?"

If the answer is NO, which it is for me .. don't try voip. While it saves money over a regular land-line, if your ISP isn't 100% perfect, you're going to have crappy phone calls -- and the choice of voip provider won't matter.

Comments:

Review by gunsmoke See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Inconsistent call quality, advertised features don't work, billing issues and poor technical support..."
Overall "Worst VOIP experience I've ever had. I know usually you get what you pay for, but not with VOIPo."

I've had VOIPo for over 6 months.

When I first signed up for VOIPo, they sent me an old and used Linksys router. It was large, and looked damaged, as though it had been burned. Either someone put their cigarettes out on it, or a bird lived directly above it and they didn't bother cleaning it up before they sent it to me. It took a long time to get that resolved, but eventually I was sent a newer Linksys device.

After setting it up and configuring, I noticed the quality was much lower than my previous voip service. Try to make a call and you will only be successful about 50% of the time, and then the quality is okay. Sometimes there is no dial tone at all. Sometimes you will dial and won't hear anything. Sometimes you'll get through but the quality and noise will be so bad you'll need to call back. Sometimes when people call, you will hear nothing. Calls frequently drop right in the middle of a conversation. When you are on the phone and you are getting another call, Call Waiting ID does not appear at all and you have no idea who is calling.

Sure, I've had the occasional issue with calls with other voip providers, but nothing like this. Call Waiting ID has always worked before, and this is the first time it hasn't.

I tried to figure this out by contacting tech support, and they have never once tried to help on their end. They have given me conflicting port forwarding settings, having me set to one range, then telling me they made a mistake and to change it to another range. Everyone makes mistakes, so no big deal, but then when they don't know what to say they blame the router. I do everything they ask and it's still not working so they blame the phones, and it doesn't even matter what phone I have, they will blame it. They just want you to name a phone so they can tell you their service isn't compatible with whatever phone you name. They've even asked me to completely disable my router's firewall! (Which I did for a quick test, but that wasn't the problem.)

Since I have the same ISP, router and phones I had with my last voip provider, it must be VOIPo, and their tech support won't help. After I told them we've never had an issue before, they just sent me a message telling me the following:

"Please keep in mind that all VoIP providers design their own systems so comparing one to another is not useful since none use the same systems.  We've reached the end of our troubleshooting options as this time.  Unfortunately VOIPo may not be compatible with your phone or router."

That's it. Not even a single attempt to look into the issue on their side.

Another issue is billing. I make occasional international calls, which you will need to pay extra for and have a credit card on file. One day we received an email apologizing for being over-billed. Not a big deal because it was only about $6, but another day I receive an email telling me my account is going to be suspended! I logged in to my account and discovered that they were having a problem charging less than $1 to my credit card. That's right, they were going to suspend my account, for less than $1.

If you are a masochist, who enjoys being blamed for everything that goes wrong followed by "have a great day!" then you might enjoy dealing with VOIPo tech support. If you want a good quality voip provider that works, I would suggest looking elsewhere, which is what I will be doing.

Comments:

Review by tdoris See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Du Page,IL
Good "Price"
Bad "Voice Quality, Tech Support"
Overall "Poor voice quality and dropped calls. Tech support unable to resolve."

Ordered the "Residential Freedom" package for $135 a year. They provided a Linksys RT31P2.

The install process was painless, but shortly after problems started. I had periodic echo issues and sometimes the call would disconnect after a few minutes. These are problems I never consistently had with any other VOIP provider. I filed several tickets and tech support was fairly quick to respond, but they never had any solution that worked for more than a week or so.

The final straw was an announcement (via e-mail) that they would charge $25 for a reprogramming fee if my device lost its configuration for any reason. Considering the reprogramming is as simple as entering a URL into the profile field on a configuration page, I consider $25 to be a ridiculous amount to charge.

I'm now looking for a new VOIP provider.

• Location: Cary,Wake,NC
Good "Cheap. Easy install."
Bad "Poor voice quality. Disinterested support."
Overall "Not ready for prime time."

Like they say, "Your results may vary.", and mine sure did. Bottom line, the voice quality was much worse than Vonage and I could not get tech support interested in fixing the dial delay problem so I cancelled.

I've had Vonage since early '05 and have been very satisfied with the service. Last year I ran across an ad for ooma and while looking at that as a possibility for my sister, I saw the reviews here of VOIPo. Since VOIPo would cost me half of Vonage and the reviews were uniformly positive I decided to give it the old "30 day trial".

It took the ATA 10 days to get here so that cut the "30 days" down to "20 days". But the install was super easy since it was the same H/W as Vonage (Linksys RT31P2). I didn't even have to swap the power supply! I had a dial tone within 30 seconds and calls in and out worked fine but it was clear from the start that the voice quality was lower than Vonage.

By forwarding my Vonage number to the VOIPo number and using custom caller ID, I was able to completely disconnect the Vonage ATA and use VOIPo exclusively totally transparent to the rest of the world. (Tech note: If you want to do this, be sure to enter the old number in Dashboard BEFORE you disconnect the ATA because VOIPo has to call the old number for validation.)

Things went OK for the first few days but then incoming voice started breaking up and some calls were being dropped entirely. Support changed an option but that did not fix it, so 2 days later they had me setup the recommended port forwarding. This fixed the breaking up and dropping but the incoming voice was sounded "gravelly".

Then a few days later we started having a 15 to 20 second delay between dial and ring (Vonage is about 3 or 4). I called support twice and finally was told to "live with it".

So I decided that I had put enough time & effort into trying to save $15 a month and cancelled.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)