VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by JAXx See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Provides good service for others, but not for me"
Bad "Over time the service got less and less reliable and despite many attempts by tech to improve things, it didn't work."
Overall "Not for me"

Slowly over time the service got worse and worse for me. dropped calls, rapid busy signals, callers complained of poor quality and despite many MANY attempts by voipo to fix it, nothing ever worked. Finally they said my internet connection may be bad, time warner came over and replaced the modem but that didn't help. I've cancelled and the new company i'm with is doing great, my callers can all har me just fine. Voipo is probably great for many people, but not for me. Tech support does answer the phone quickly but i rated them down because they can't fix the problem.

Comments:
NYC Girl

Same for me

I had to cancel.

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "you get what you pay for"
Bad "doesnt work, audio fails, ringing fails, you get what you pay for"
Overall "you get what you pay for"

I CANNOT BE MORE UNHAPPY WITH MY VOIPO SERVICE!!!

IT IS NOT JUST THAT THE SERVICE DOESN'T WORK, EITHER NO AUDIO OR NO RINGING, ETC, BUT THE WORSE PART IS THAT YOU CANNOT CALL A TECH-II AGENT!!!

this has been the most frustrating experience for me and my wife! we keep calling, make an item ticket, get an email, email back, then the tech-ii agent has to call us back and if we miss the call i have to start the whole process over again!

they keep blaming it on our internet service but bottom line is…our vonage phone works great!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

(review was emailed from domain gdeb.com)

Comments:
NYC Girl

Amen!!

I cancelled my service.

Review by NYC Girl See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Friendly, Responsive Customer Service, 60 minutes of international calling, a number of great calling features"
Bad "Call quality has deteriorated significantly since installation. Not sure tech support knows how to resolve."
Overall "I CANCELLED MY SERVICE"

UPDATED: 10/19/11

I am sad to report that I had to cancel my service as tech support was not able to help me with my issues. I was looking forward to have inexpensive, unlimited calling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

I just subscribed to Voipo approximately 34 days ago. My service was working beautifully until about a couple of weeks ago. I am now experiencing dropped calls, busy signals, loud noise on line which then I have to hang up and redial, calls going straight to voicemail.

Too much work. I've always been against these Indy VoIP companies; however, Voipo seemed promising, great calling features, great reviews, and was very cheap. I asked them 1,000+ questions before I ordered.

I subscribed to their 24 month special for $149.00 with a vague explanation of a $36.00 taxes and fees charge which you must pay in advance. The ATA is an adapter called Grandstream which Voipo provides which I use with my Linksys 4200 wireless router.

I am quite disappointed that this is not working out for me. I was with Optimum Voice prior to this for $19.99 per month as a triple play deal with Cablevision which gave me no issues whatsoever. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. If it seems too good to be true then maybe it is.

Comments:
VOIPoTim

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and would be happy to have a Tier II agent contact you to try to resolve your issues.

Based on the issues you're describing, it sounds like you are likely using VOIPo behind a router that is causing issues and you may need to setup port forwarding on that router. All the issues you describe are typically caused by routers and can be resolved by reconfiguring the router or placing our device in front of it to get the router out of the picture.

If your issues can't be resolved and it turns out to be an underlying compatibility issue between your setup and VOIPo or if you decide that VOIPo is not for you, we do offer a full 30 Day money back guarantee and then a prorated refund based on the monthly price after 30 days.

Just e-mail tim @ voipo.com with your info and I can have a Tier II agent call you to try to work with you to troubleshoot your home network and help resolve your issues.

said by VOIPoTim:

Bronx, NY
Sorry, Tim, I had to cancel service as your Tier II wanted me to call a bunch of business contacts as part of the troubleshooting process. I managed to call one without any issues; however, I cannot prank call my business contacts to duplicate all of the issues. He didn't even mention resetting my router. I then said I would cancel and he gcancelled my accounfor me.

Perhaps more training for your tech staff? I must say I am disappointed that this didn't work out for me; however, I need to have a working phone in my home without using all of my cell phone minutes.

said by NYC Girl:

Sorry to hear that.

The reason they wanted thou to call the destinations you were having issues with was so they could watch the calls coming through live and track down your problem. Without replicating the issue or seeing the calls you had issues with, it's not really possible for them to find the problem or fix it.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you and wish you the best of luck with your new provider.

said by VOIPoTim:

said by NYC Girl:

Sorry to hear that.

Bronx, NY
The issues weren't that consistent to even track. Sometimes it would happen and sometimes not. And I dial so many different numbers how do we keep track. Should have just made adjustments to the router right from the start.

Anyway, went back to my old provider optimum online. It just works and I get it for 19.99 per month.

Thanks for all your help.

• Location: Ambler,Montgomery,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great features, looked promising."
Bad "Horror story; no service 2x for several days each"

My Horror Story. My research pointed to VOIPo as the best provider for my needs. So I ordered it online and paid for a year's service. Then their emails started coming, one after another for a total of 11! Finally, one said to download, sign and fax in their document. More emails arrived: six more asking for the signed document! Once they had it, it was supposed to take from 20 to 45 business days for my phone number to be transferred. Instead it took two days, and they hadn't even yet shipped the adapter I needed to hook it up. (They refused to delay the transfer and they refused to send the adapter overnight or 2nd day.) So, I was without any phone service for five days. What could be worse? The adapter they sent was fried within days. And again they won't ship a new one out overnight. So, it's no phone service for days yet again. Mistakes happen. But when a company has a policy not to ship something fast -- even when it's justified -- is just plain stupid. It's bad for the customer and bad for their business.

(review was emailed from domain verizon.net)

Comments:
VOIPoTim

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw your review.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

In terms of number porting, the typical timeline is 7-10 days. Our porting form that you signed and sent in does stated that it can take "up to" 20-45 business days because that is a worst case scenario.

AT&T has been releasing numbers quicker and we have updated our processes to make sure that going forward we are submitting the request with a later date when we process AT&T requests to prevent the number from transferring so quickly.

In terms of shipping, all orders ship out the same or next day assuming the order is on a business day. If the order is not on a business day, it can take an extra day. I spoke with our shipping team and we're not aware of any shipments that have not gone out in this timeframe recently.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you'd like to send me some account information so I can look up your account I'm happy to take a look to make sure everything is moving smoothly now and if there is anything that we could have done better. My direct e-mail is tim @ voipo.com.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Lorigard

@verizon.net

Re: Even more delay today!

OK CEO Tim
Instead of your shipping out a new adapter -- after more than two hours troubleshooting with your tech yesterday -- I got an email today from yet another tech wanting to troubleshoot again to confirm I need a new adapter! I needed the day to prepare for Hurricane Irene, so we didn't get to troubleshoot a second time until nearly 4:30 PM EST. Another day wasted, without phone service. With any luck, the new adaptert will get shipped on Monday -- and take four or five days to get here -- because you refuse to ship it overnight or second day!

Both your techs have said "our warehouse isn't set up for shipping overnight or second day," and that it's "not financially feasible" to ship that way. You want to save a few bucks while I spend even more time without phone service, all because you screwed up - twice? The first tech said that only you, the CEO, can authorize faster shipment. So why don't you authorize it?

If I don't get that adapter on Monday or Tuesday, this isn't the only message board that will carry my horror story, including what happened and was said today. First I'll cancel my service and get a different one. Then I'll put my horror story out on every review site I can find. I want to warn others what could happen to them. And, I'll use Twitter and Facebook to tell everyone considering VOIP why they shouldn't use your company's service. Will it be "financially feasible" to lose a lot of business?

I am hopping mad!
Newport Beach, CA

Re: Even more delay today!

said by Lorigard :

OK CEO Tim

I am hopping mad!

Send me an e-mail to tim @ voipo.com with your account info so I can find your account and I'll be happy to take a look at it to make sure everything was handled appropriately and is moving forward for you.

Lorigard

@verizon.net

I'm back up and running!

I'm happy to report some good news for a change.

As it turns out, there appears to have been absolutely nothing wrong with the first adapter sent to me. However, it was only after we'd installed the replacement adapter that we finally discovered where the problem was.

Who would believe such great havoc could be wreaked by a surge suppressor on its way out? The VOIPo adapter was plugged into my Belkin surge protector, which I could turn off and on perfectly well at the switch. And its green light was on, so we couldn't have known it was a problem.

Seemingly unrelated, my computer lost power a few times last week, right in the middle of use. When I would change its plug from my surge protector to a power strip or back, there was just some slight sparking and noise. After trying other solutions, we thought there was something wrong with the computer power cord. We changed out the power cord last week and forgot all about it because that seemed to have solved the problem. However, the day before installing the new adapter it happened again. Since I was in the middle of solving my problem with VOIPo, I put off looking into it further and then completely forgot about it.

As we were troubleshooting with the new adapter the next day, I suddenly recalled having lost power at my computer the day before and mentioned it to the VOIPo tech. We decided that I should get a new surge protector and see if that might solve the problem. AND IT DID!!! Who knew? I'm pretty amazed that we even figured it out!

We had tried plugging the adapter directly into the wall at one time to test it, but I had to do it in another room because my surge protectors, and thus all my computer equipment, were taking up my office wall outlets (in this old house with very few of them). I'm not sure what we learned from that testing but, as I recall, the adapter lights were coming on as they should.

I'm still not keen on VOIPo's shipping policy. Everything must go out by USPS Ground. Five days from their CA facility to the East Coast. Their way or the highway. Only the CEO can approve faster shipment? I suggested to him that he reconsider this ludicrous policy.

I want to give special credit to the VOIPo guys who did the troubleshooting with me. Brandon, Martin, and Clay were all really great to deal with. Despite my obvious frustration, each of them remained calm, cool, and collected. They were exceptionally patient with me. VOIPo is very fortunate to have them representing the company, out there on the front lines, dealing with problems as hard to resolve as mine. I am very grateful to each of them. They are truly deserving of much praise.

So again, as it turns out, it was not VOIPo's equipment that was the problem. It was mine.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
·VOIPO

Re: I'm back up and running!

said by Lorigard :

Hopefully in the future you can keep your cool and not be so rude without knowing what the problem is first (Not with just VOIPo, but with anything).

As far as shipping, they offer service at $75/YEAR...why would they spend $20 to overnight you an ATA?

Review by ltm320 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Cost, service, constant feature additions."
Bad "Voice Quality, poor website"
Overall "Works most of the time, if that's enough for you.."

I abandoned my AT&T land line about a year ago for my first attempt at voip.

My experience with Voipo has been mixed. I believe the features are comparable to most voip providers, so I won't review those.

The Voipo "control panel" is functional, but terrible. There's no help menu, and there are features that are not self-explanatory. It's simply flabbergasting they roll out new features without adding simple help screens. It's hard to recommend their service to anyone but the most adventurous.

However .. the final grade depends on voice call quality. I would say that 50% of my calls are perfect .. the other half have some problem or another, either an echo, or a delay. 10% of the calls are bad enough to hang up and try again.

I've opened many tickets with tech support, giving them a chance to fix things, but the truth is, trouble remains, and easily half my calls are not up to par. Whether that is Voipo's fault, or my ISPs, I really don't know -- however, my ISP passes the various tests for voip. (SEE UPDATE BELOW)

I do feel that tech support is pretty decent and responsive. (You can see below, a Voipo representative responding to this review.)

In the end, my wife is pretty irritated with the service level, and after the year is up, I think we need to find a new provider, or go back to POTS.

FINAL UPDATE - I've left Voipo and VOIP.

After a year, and one final month of really terrible phone calls, we've pulled the plug on voip and Voipo and sadly gone back to crystal clear AT&T.

I will not blame Voipo. I'm sure they do their best. The problem is my ISP, and/or the internet in general.

So here's my word to whoever is reading this: Test your ISP many many times. Google the term "voip test" and perform many tests on many different services at varying times during the day and week.

Now, I'd done something like that. Most of the time, the results came back with good scores. But occasionally, I'd get a terrible score. When I'd hang up from a terrible Voipo conversation, I'd do some ISP testing and find my "jitter" score through the roof.

So that's my advice. Test your ISP dozens of times. If you get a bad score here or there, ask yourself "if I was on a phone call right now, it would be terrible. Am I (and my wife) ok with that?"

If the answer is NO, which it is for me .. don't try voip. While it saves money over a regular land-line, if your ISP isn't 100% perfect, you're going to have crappy phone calls -- and the choice of voip provider won't matter.

Comments:

Review by gunsmoke See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Inconsistent call quality, advertised features don't work, billing issues and poor technical support..."
Overall "Worst VOIP experience I've ever had. I know usually you get what you pay for, but not with VOIPo."

I've had VOIPo for over 6 months.

When I first signed up for VOIPo, they sent me an old and used Linksys router. It was large, and looked damaged, as though it had been burned. Either someone put their cigarettes out on it, or a bird lived directly above it and they didn't bother cleaning it up before they sent it to me. It took a long time to get that resolved, but eventually I was sent a newer Linksys device.

After setting it up and configuring, I noticed the quality was much lower than my previous voip service. Try to make a call and you will only be successful about 50% of the time, and then the quality is okay. Sometimes there is no dial tone at all. Sometimes you will dial and won't hear anything. Sometimes you'll get through but the quality and noise will be so bad you'll need to call back. Sometimes when people call, you will hear nothing. Calls frequently drop right in the middle of a conversation. When you are on the phone and you are getting another call, Call Waiting ID does not appear at all and you have no idea who is calling.

Sure, I've had the occasional issue with calls with other voip providers, but nothing like this. Call Waiting ID has always worked before, and this is the first time it hasn't.

I tried to figure this out by contacting tech support, and they have never once tried to help on their end. They have given me conflicting port forwarding settings, having me set to one range, then telling me they made a mistake and to change it to another range. Everyone makes mistakes, so no big deal, but then when they don't know what to say they blame the router. I do everything they ask and it's still not working so they blame the phones, and it doesn't even matter what phone I have, they will blame it. They just want you to name a phone so they can tell you their service isn't compatible with whatever phone you name. They've even asked me to completely disable my router's firewall! (Which I did for a quick test, but that wasn't the problem.)

Since I have the same ISP, router and phones I had with my last voip provider, it must be VOIPo, and their tech support won't help. After I told them we've never had an issue before, they just sent me a message telling me the following:

"Please keep in mind that all VoIP providers design their own systems so comparing one to another is not useful since none use the same systems.  We've reached the end of our troubleshooting options as this time.  Unfortunately VOIPo may not be compatible with your phone or router."

That's it. Not even a single attempt to look into the issue on their side.

Another issue is billing. I make occasional international calls, which you will need to pay extra for and have a credit card on file. One day we received an email apologizing for being over-billed. Not a big deal because it was only about $6, but another day I receive an email telling me my account is going to be suspended! I logged in to my account and discovered that they were having a problem charging less than $1 to my credit card. That's right, they were going to suspend my account, for less than $1.

If you are a masochist, who enjoys being blamed for everything that goes wrong followed by "have a great day!" then you might enjoy dealing with VOIPo tech support. If you want a good quality voip provider that works, I would suggest looking elsewhere, which is what I will be doing.

Comments:

Review by tdoris See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Dupage,IL
Good "Price"
Bad "Voice Quality, Tech Support"
Overall "Poor voice quality and dropped calls. Tech support unable to resolve."

Ordered the "Residential Freedom" package for $135 a year. They provided a Linksys RT31P2.

The install process was painless, but shortly after problems started. I had periodic echo issues and sometimes the call would disconnect after a few minutes. These are problems I never consistently had with any other VOIP provider. I filed several tickets and tech support was fairly quick to respond, but they never had any solution that worked for more than a week or so.

The final straw was an announcement (via e-mail) that they would charge $25 for a reprogramming fee if my device lost its configuration for any reason. Considering the reprogramming is as simple as entering a URL into the profile field on a configuration page, I consider $25 to be a ridiculous amount to charge.

I'm now looking for a new VOIP provider.

member for 13.3 years, 927 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Cary,Wake,NC
Good "Cheap. Easy install."
Bad "Poor voice quality. Disinterested support."
Overall "Not ready for prime time."

Like they say, "Your results may vary.", and mine sure did. Bottom line, the voice quality was much worse than Vonage and I could not get tech support interested in fixing the dial delay problem so I cancelled.

I've had Vonage since early '05 and have been very satisfied with the service. Last year I ran across an ad for ooma and while looking at that as a possibility for my sister, I saw the reviews here of VOIPo. Since VOIPo would cost me half of Vonage and the reviews were uniformly positive I decided to give it the old "30 day trial".

It took the ATA 10 days to get here so that cut the "30 days" down to "20 days". But the install was super easy since it was the same H/W as Vonage (Linksys RT31P2). I didn't even have to swap the power supply! I had a dial tone within 30 seconds and calls in and out worked fine but it was clear from the start that the voice quality was lower than Vonage.

By forwarding my Vonage number to the VOIPo number and using custom caller ID, I was able to completely disconnect the Vonage ATA and use VOIPo exclusively totally transparent to the rest of the world. (Tech note: If you want to do this, be sure to enter the old number in Dashboard BEFORE you disconnect the ATA because VOIPo has to call the old number for validation.)

Things went OK for the first few days but then incoming voice started breaking up and some calls were being dropped entirely. Support changed an option but that did not fix it, so 2 days later they had me setup the recommended port forwarding. This fixed the breaking up and dropping but the incoming voice was sounded "gravelly".

Then a few days later we started having a 15 to 20 second delay between dial and ring (Vonage is about 3 or 4). I called support twice and finally was told to "live with it".

So I decided that I had put enough time & effort into trying to save $15 a month and cancelled.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:

Review by jondavisct See Profile

• Location: New Britain,Hartford,CT
Good "Free 2nd line. Commitment to a quality product. VoipoTim"
Bad "Cannot get latest line up and running reliably"
Overall "Could be a good product. Just needs more tech support people."

This is my 3rd Voipo line that I am installing. In addition to Voipo, I also have 3 ViaTalk lines and one Teleblend (leftover from Sunrocket crash) line.

I really want to like Voipo. I really do. However, this last line has been such a hassle. I bought this one line with the idea to get it setup at a new property and then add 2 more lines to it.

I setup the system with all the appropriate equipment and configured firewalls with DMZ etc. However, it did not work. I then ripped out all the equipment and plugged the voipo box (rt31p2) directly into the cable modem. This time I got the lights and I thought I was good to go. Alas, I can make outgoing calls but incoming callers cannot hear me. That is odd, that is the problem we see when we have a firewall incorrectly configured - But I don't have a firewall.

Then, back and forth via a trouble ticket with Voipo for 8 DAYS. Finally thinking it is working (based on 2 test calls) and then the next day, it is down again.

I am finally on the telephone with the Voipo people to get this resolved while I wait. It is too bad we have to do this but maybe we can get it up and running. I will post when we get this resolved.

The wife is even now wanting me to put in AT&T. She is not as patient as I am.

Comments:

Review by jlyskowinski See Profile

• Location: Lanesville,Harrison,IN
Good "Nothing"
Bad "I don't know where to begin"

Back around mid June 2009, I ordered the VOIPo phone service from VOIPo (www.voipo.com) and a few days later received the adapter, I set everything up, however, I do not own a router and was not aware that I would need one, this is not listed anywhere that is visible to a potential customer on the site unless you visit their knowledge base, but who really ever does that???? Anyway, the adapter that I had worked fine, was able to make calls, etc, however, it was like using dialup, I could use the computer, but not the phone and vice versa. After speaking to the sales department, they told me that I was out of luck and I would have to send the device back, because in order for it work correctly I would need a router. Then I called and spoke to a new employee, I believe his name was Daniel, not sure though. He told me that Voipo was in the process of ordering new devices that were a combo adapter/router and it would take at least three weeks before they were received. They told me that they would have to test them before sending them out to make sure that they worked with their systems. I also spoke to their support team via online chat about this as well. So the wait begins.....

I received the new adapter/router on Friday July 17th, 2009. I hooked everything up, however, Voipo had not registered the device on their end, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and went through the process of registering everything, porting, provisioning, etc (whatever all of that means exactly). After much doing of this over several days, I still could not receive incoming calls, I could only make outbound calls. After much going over and over with this several times on 7/17 and Monday 7/20. The issue was still not resolved. After spending most of Monday 7/17 going over the motions again of my device continuing stating that it was not registered with VOIPo servers, off and on throughout the day, I became fed up and threatened to cancel the service by 6pm EST Monday July 20th if the service was not fully functioning. The staff I guess doesn't believe in customer retention or has never heard of it, as they kept encouraging me to cancel the service, WHAT COMPANY WANTS TO LOSE A PAYING CUSTOMER WHEN WE ARE THEIR PAYCHECK??????? Anyway, after support rep Justin said that he would help me he proceeded to do so and then when I had to reboot the device my internet, naturally was shut off for a few minutes, I went back online and then my computer locked up so I rebooted, once I was back online Justin asked for a new password to "look at my computer" using www.teamviewer.com. (this is a service for tech support to see what is happening with their product on your modem or computer). Anyway, I had already submitted a new password to him but he didn't see it, so I reset it up again, submitted the password to him via a support ticket as I had been doing this since Friday afternoon and he NEVER logged back in to teamviewer it was like he disappeared or went home for the night. A couple of other reps did this to me on Friday evening as we were trying to get the service established and working, since 6pm is their time to leave they left without making sure that everything was working properly, so basically I was left holding the bag until later that night when one of the reps or whoever it was assisted me after hours and couldn't find the user id and password to access my broadband modem. I was told that it would be escalated to a Tier II tech and taken care of first thing Monday morning and it was not, still at 8:00pm Monday evening July 20th the device was offline again and still not working. I decided to cancel as the rep had "left the building" once again. I have worked in customer service, sales and marketing since 1989 and I am almost 40 years old, you DO NOT treat a customer like this, it is very unethical and just not right period. You communicate with the customer and work with them not disappear on them twice in 72 hours.

Also, I was owed a refund as my billing account had been suspended, due to the new adapter arriving and the $18 initially paid when the account was purchased was to be applied to the July payment, however, the account was being paid via Paypal subscription and July's payment was taken out on Wednesday 7/15. The June payment was going to be applied for the July payment when I received the new device and the payment taken out on July 15 was NOT to be taken out, I was to start paying again on the account on 8/15. I called to let them know and also submitted a support ticket, never received a refund even though I was told several times by the sup5port staff that I would receive one. Once I canceled the service I wanted my refund as I had still not received it and was told by the owner Timothy Dick, that I could not receive a refund based on the cancellation terms, there were numerous tickets issued on the refund, but apparently he did not read all of the tickets and refused. Finally after much going back and forth a few times via support tickets he issued the refund making an "exception" because his employees told me wrong, which is not true, they suspended the billing account because I needed the router/adapter and had to wait on it to arrive in three weeks or so.

DO NOT do business with this company, as I have a feeling they were the ones taking the device off of the servers intentionally and then making excuses as it was my Verizon broadband and the Linksy's adapter, which to me is just a lame excuse. Also, any company that has employees that choose to leave because it is "time to go on a Friday evening-party time) or they just feel they can leave and ignore a paying customer who is their paycheck is not going to get ANY business from me period!