VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by voipinit1 See Profile

• Location: Hampton,Henry,GA
Good "customer service, reliability, value, ease of installation"
Bad "the web interface while better then most could be better organized"
Overall "Excellent VOIP service"

I have had the service since mid January and have had very few bumps. The few bumps that I had were quickly resolved and my service is rock solid. Their customer service is second to none including very quick turnaround when a support ticket is opened. The VOIP services I have had are Vonage (4 years), SunRocket (2 months -now defunct), Packet8 (13 months), VT (6 months), and now VOIPo. Without question, VOIPo has been the best so far. I highly recommend them if you are considering VOIP service.

Comments:

Review by kevm5 See Profile

• Location: Parkesburg,Chester,PA
Good "Exceptional customer service and involved owner"
Bad "some rough spots lately, but seems due to rapid growth"
Overall "It would be hard to do better overall"

I have had VOIPO for several months. I wont sugar coat it and say it hasn't been a bumpy road cause it has been. That being said, if you read and participate in the user forums and you spend any amount of time trying to understand what has been going on, I think you will find that most of the issues are due to growth, or supplier equipment problems, the latter of which is beyond the control of VOIPO.

You will also find that customer service and even the President of the company participates regularly in the forum and they all genuinely want to help their customers. This is very evident to me, and well worth it to stick with them to ride out a short storm. I give VOIPO high marks for their customer service, caring nature, and voice quality that is top notch. The reliability has been very good lately

Comments:

Review by stason99 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Good customer service, lots of convenient features, price."
Bad "Very unreliable"
Overall "Get it if you donít care about reliability. You might have to restart your ATA often."

Good customer service, lots of convenient features, price.
Very unreliable.
Get it if you don’t care about reliability. You might have to restart your ATA often.

Comments:

Review by bubbanc See Profile

• Location: Garner,Wake,NC
Good "Great price, no hidden fees, excellent tech support!"
Bad "vPanel is clunky, unable to use custom callerid with restricted/blocked callers"
Overall "Run into a few issues; at least tech support is willing to help."

Update: 4/6/2009
No issues recently other than a bit of echo when calling to my Voipo line (notice it on my cell phone that I can hear myself when calling home). Didn't appear to lose connectivity the other night during the DC meltdown (at least my script didn't report losing registration).

Update: 3/28/2009
Support mentioned that other folks in the Voipo forum had had issues with Tomato 2.23, so I have reverted to version 1.19 (which I used to run problem free with my previous provider).

Still seeing a delay intermittently when answering calls and saying hello. Typically there is a 3-4 second delay in call setup that requires saying "hello" twice and the calling party only hears it the 2nd time.

We'll see if the firmware downgrade fixes either of these problems.

Update: 3/26/2009
Tried to call my Voipo line from my cell phone. Wife said that she picked up the phone and said hello but there was dead air. On my end, I got sent to voicemail. Called tech support (was NEVER on hold; immediately got a tech support representative) and they recommended me move my PAP2T from DMZ to non-DMZ and forward ports:

Registration: 5060 - 5080 (UDP)
Audio: 35000 - 65000 (UDP / TCP, random assignment)

Shortly after making this change I called my folks. During the call it went dead. I have inquired with Voipo to check and see if this drop occurred on our end or theirs. Will update when I hear something back.

---

Update: 3/24/2009
Voipo resolved my outbound calling issue by forcing G711u codec for all calls. PAP2T was hanging up on certain calls is because of the codec being negotiated, usually G729a/etc and this is usually not an issue for the PAP2T's. Calls for the past 4 days have been great! No echo, no static. Still seeing some minor delay when answering the call and saying hello, but that may also be operator error.

---

Update: 3/20/2009
I've had various issues over the past month: DTMF tones during phone calls heard by the other party, delay in hearing the other caller (or the other caller hearing us) when initially answering the phone. Those issues appeared to be resolved (and were perhaps my issues) once I upgraded code on my router and let Voipo provision my PAP2T. Now, as of yesterday, I'm having issues calling out to my area code. Needless to say the WAF has dropped significantly in the past month, so back to the dog house I go. Luckily, Voipo customer service is working with me to try and fix the issues. I have to give them more credit than my previous provider. Looks like I spoke too soon... the wife called me from Voipo and I had to say hello twice; she only heard it once. She still can't call her folks but she can call me. Calling her folks works fine on her cell phone. Ugh.

---

Prior to ordering I emailed sales support with my questions and received and answer back from Tim almost instantly. He did a great job of answering my questions and sold me (along with the positive reviews on BBR) on Voipo.

Signup was a breeze and after signing up I opened up a ticket requesting SIP credentials and asked to be BYOD. They quickly provided me what I needed to get going and I was up and using their service about 3 hours after placing my order. Also, they configured the outgoing caller ID information to be the number that I will eventually port so no questions from folks we're calling about why we have a new number and which number they should use (like I had to deal with at my old provider).

Call quality has been very good and no dropouts or dead air like with previous provider. Tech support has been FANTASTIC! They are quick to answer questions and even quicker at routing to upper level support if they don't know the answer instead of keeping the customer guessing forever (like my previous provider).

Only issues thus far is the inability to create a custom caller ID entry for blocked/restricted phone numbers and have that information show when the caller calls. This worked with my previous provider, so I became spoiled when knowing when my in-laws were calling. Not a show stopper, but at least they provided a detailed explanation as to why it worked with my old provider and why it doesn't work with Voipo. Another issue (which may now be resolved!) is that custom caller ID entries names did not show in the voicemail email messages as being from that person. Instead, the phone number was listed twice.

Also, a few other features that I would like to have: Schedule/Calendar for setting up DND on a daily basis.

Will update once I've used the service a bit longer.

Comments:

Review by ralfaro See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Excellent call quality, best tech support I have seen, excellent value"
Bad "Control panel very basic but being worked on."
Overall "Highly recommended"

04/06/09:
Just wanted to do another update as I have now been with Voipo for over 3 months and generally speaking, their tech support still remains t be the best I have seen. I have had a couple of minor issues but they were taken care of swiftly and effectively. Most of my issues were taken care of when they replaced my GrandStream with a Linksys PAP2 as the GrandStream suffered from registration issues. Voice quality is still the best I have experienced among the various providers I have used. I'm still highly satisfied with this company.

01/29/09

As promissed, I am updating this review to reflect the fact that the one outstanding issue I had was resolved thanks to Voipo seeing it all the way through right up through to one of their carriers, Level3.. I signed up for the 1 year promotion which was a terrific deal. Their call quality and tech support continue to be first class.

I have only been with Voipo for a week, but I can't over emphasize how absolutely excellent their tech support has been. I have submitted a few support tickets, and all of them with the exception of one, were resolved within a day or less. I still have one outstanding ticket that has proven to be somewhat problematic, but hopefully, they are working on it. Once that ticket is resolved, I plan to take advantage of their current 1 year promotion. Their call quality is the best I have heard from any of the voip providers I have had any experience with. I am currently with Comcast, but have had both Vonage and CallVantage in the past. I was actually fairly happy with our comcast digital Voice service, but they raised their prices on us so they were no longer a reasonable solution at almost $50 per month with an unpublished number.

Unfortunately, Voipo was not able to port over my Comcast number but so far it looks like their quality of service will be worth biting the bullet and sacrificing our old number. I am just waiting for this last issue to be resolved so that I can cancel Comcast.

I will update this when and if my final issue has been addressed.

Comments:

Review by druber See Profile

• Location: Marlborough,Middlesex,MA
Good "Call quality and reliability has been great"
Bad "Nothing at this point"
Overall "Recommended"

I ported my verizon landline over about 1 year ago. Occasional glitches and/or disruptions due to architectural changes. Not surprising or a big deal due to the offering being in beta during the review period.

Update: I haven't been affected by the recent issues with ATA firmware and such, since I am a BYOD customer.

member for 14.6 years, 4264 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by NY Tel See Profile

• Location: Smithtown,Suffolk,NY
Good "It just works!"
Bad "Have not found any yet"
Overall "This one is a winner"

April 6th UPDATE:

I am very pleased with the value, service and quality of what Voipo is providing.
I have had very little downtime and any issues that did crop up, were taken care of with adequate follow-through, and in a timely manner.

If speed to resolution is important, Voipo seems to have a good handle on following through on problem resolution and is very proactive in doing so.

So I am still happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Original review:
I currently use many VOIP services, some as a tester and some as a real end user.
There have been many companies that have come and gone but VOIPO will definitely not be one of those.

I continue to be impressed with the unparalleled commitment to service and performance as VOIPO. Taking cues from some other less than successful companies, VOIPO has been able to take all of the information it gathers and actually put it into a viable business plan.
The novel part about them is that they actually listen to the customer, take suggestions (good and bad criticism) and adjust their product and service offering to help them meet the needs of the Voice over IP market.

Let's face it, most VOIP users want inexpensive, excellent, reliable phone service.
VOIPO is the closest thing to filling that tall order.
It is worth your while to investigate them as soon as they make the service available in "wide release".

Comments:

Review by FrankD1 See Profile

• Location: San Carlos,San Mateo,CA
Good "Customer-centered business model, top notch voice quality"
Bad "Service currently going through shake-down, encountering unexpected problems and points of failure"
Overall "Great choice for techies, should be great choice for general public once shake-down progresses"

Was previously AT&T CV user for 2 years prior. Very satisfied with CV, but APPARENT sunsetting of CV platform prompted me to start looking at alternatives.

VOIPo had/has a very loyal following due to their exceptional customer service, and that has 100% been my experience as well.

Installation had some minor glitches- VOIPo ran out of HS-502s right when I signed up (distributor closed for Chinese New Year), so I was in first batch to receive non-BYOD PAP2T. Wasn't plug and play; provisioning server was not pre-populated in ATA, but quick call to tech support had it running in minutes. Also had weird ring pattern for a few weeks. Eventual push of new wave-form file resolved the issue.

Overall, voice quality has been spectacular. CV had set high expectations for me, but gratefully VOIPo voice quality was just as good as people were raving... exceeding CV IMO. One voice quality item though, and might be "audible illusion" rather than real issue: first few weeks of service with VOIPo, and voice quality was close to perfect- reminded me of extension to extension calls on quality PBX. Over time, I started noticing occasional slight echoes, and digital "fuzz" in voice reproduction. Still great quality overall, but not what I remembered from first weeks. In the past week, I noticed a posting on an unrelated problem for another customer, and Tim offering to move customer's RTP proxying from Level3 gateways to VOIPo facilities. I asked Tim if I could try this as well. After getting confirmation email that config was changed and I rebooted the ATA, the echoes and fuzz were gone. It's only been about 5 days since the reconfigure, but call quality has remained virtually perfect for those 5 days, so you might want to request this option.

There have been some system glitches in the 2 months I've been with them. They're always quick to fix the problem, but I think they're inevitable problems that any company with any new system encounters, especially when systems and vendors don't perform/behave as spec'd (I know they had a two year BETA, but some problems statistically will only show up as the customer/call volume increases). I'm not being apologetic for VOIPo, and I'm not comfortable recommending VOIPo to my non-techie friends and family right now. But as long as they can maintain their current commitment to customer service, which appears to be one of their bedrock principles, I'm pretty confident they'll have most of the issues shaken out quickly, and it will be a true plug and play service I could recommend to my folks.

I'll update this in the near future to recap the shakedown.

UPDATE: 4/5/09

Still very happy with VOIPo in general, even though they are still undergoing "shakedown". To their credit, they are fixing problems quickly... it's just that as customer and call volume is increasing, they are encountering new problems that they were relatively immune to in their ealier days. But, their customer/tech service is still top notch, and they're putting good fixes (not band-aids) on these new problems, so I'm hopeful they'll soon be "over the hump" and the problems will taper off. Just to be clear, calls have been 99.5% reliable and clear for me. The only problems I've been encountering lately is VM glitches, but they're quick to fix them, and from what's been announced, the VM glitches are a side affect of network redesign/migration to more secure and robust facilities (they've been encountering some DDOS-like attacks, so they're becoming more of a target for the miscreants with too much time on their hands). So, at this time, still a great product for techies, should be great product for the masses soon. More updates to follow in a few weeks.

member for 11.8 years, 1621 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by wagnerb See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Alternative to over-priced POTS"
Bad "Lack of user manual for account management application"
Overall "All around excellent service"

I was one of the VoiceWing users that was summarily dropped back in January 2009. After looking for another VOIP provider, I stumbled across VOIPO. Did some preliminary research using reviews and decided to go with VOIPO.

Signed up in January 2009 and about a week later, got a LinkSys phone adapter. The porting process wasn't clear when signing up since the application process suggested it was automatic. However, after looking at the FAQs on the Web site, there was more to it and after contacting support, I indeed had to submit port request and copy of VW bill.

On day service was activated, I plugged up the adapter and could not make calls. I tried dialing in with cell phone and it rang through, but when answering could not hear caller, but caller could hear. A call to support resolved the issue.

The adapter is behind a LinkSys BEFSR41 v4.3 router that is in default configuration. This configuration (behind a router) has posed no problems for me.

The service has been consistent, sound quality is near or at POTS, and service disruption has been negligible, if any disruption at all. The account management application takes some getting used to since there is no user manual and a limited FAQ. I'm assuming this is forthcoming given it's coming out of beta testing.

Again, the service has been great. Support, when used, has responded in a reasonable time and resolved any issue presented.

Comments:

Review by brodster See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Price, features, voice quality."
Bad "First adapter was faulty."
Overall "After rocky start, smooth sailing!"

Update, 4/4/09

Service has been rock-solid reliable for months now. I'm very pleased with the level of service... so much so, that I've prepaid for another year of service, extending into 2011! I've also talked my parents into porting their landline over to VOIPo. As an added benefit, I discovered by accident that VOIPo now has numbers in Crystal River FL (where my mother-in-law lives), so I was able to move my virtual number to there for no charge! As they say "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". I'm very glad to say that momma's very happy!

_________________________________________________________________

Background

First, let me begin by saying that I’m not your average dslreports VOIP user. My family shares one landline, one cellular phone, and we get our TV via an antenna on the roof. Our one luxury has been DSL from Bellsouth, now ATT. We’re all about saving money, as we’re a single income family, and look to cut corners financially wherever possible.

I’ve often toyed with the idea of using VOIP – my brother has been a Vonage customer for years, and has had nothing but good things to say about it. Since my basic phone line ran in the neighborhood of $26/ month, even the most expensive VOIP services would be the same, or cheaper, with included long distance and all the bells and whistles. The holdup, for a while, was that DSL was not offered without voice. Once that was rolled out in my area, I began to look into it seriously. Still, ATT charges an extra $5/ month for the privilege of a dry line, but the VOIP savings would (hopefully) make up the difference.

Taking the first step

So, I set the process in motion. I ordered a new dry DSL line installed on the second copper pair leading to my house, and then turned to choosing a VOIP provider. Since my brother highly recommended Vonage, that was the natural choice for me as well. In fact, I probably would’ve signed up with them (they offer service credits for referring a friend), if it wasn’t for their rate hike. I was all set to sign up for the $15.00 500 min./ month plan, until when I went back to the site to do the deed, it was then $18! So, I began to see what else is out there, which led me to dslreports.com. The highest rated service was for a company with the strange name of VOIPo. As I looked into it, it seemed almost too good to be true - $99 for a year of unlimited service, ATA provided free, 2 lines included, free virtual number, 30 day guarantee, and the list went on. I discovered VOIPo and signed up that same evening. (I had to break it to my brother that he won’t be getting a free month with Vonage!)

Excitement…then frustration

I could hardly wait for my phone adapter to arrive. Luckily, it came only 2-3 days later, and I immediately hooked it up to my network, and made my first VOIP call! How cool is that… I’m talking over the internet! (I’m easily impressed…) I set up a separate phone in the house to test the line, encouraging my wife to use it for long distance to see how it works. Unfortunately, I started having intermittent problems right away – here’s the list:

1. incoming calls not ringing through

2. calls sounding horribly garbled and static

3. no dialtone

4. hanging up phone after call, and phone rings with no-one there.

5. fast busy signals incoming and outgoing

I had lots of tickets open to correct these problems, and each fix seemed to last for a short while, then problems would crop up again. God bless them, the techs at VOIPo seemed to try everything; different servers, proxies, STUN, and I tried numerous different network configurations on my side. All changes seemed to work for a while, then, not. Then it dawned on me – could it be a bad ATA? After each fix, I would do a power cycle, which would fix the problem, for a few hours, or even a day. I mentioned this to them, and they gladly agreed to overnight me a new adapter to try. Meanwhile, I had applied to port our current landline to VOIPo, and I knew it would go through any day. It just so happened that our port happened on a Thursday, and the new adapter arrived the same day. I plugged it in, hopeful, and waited. No dialtone. Unplug. Wait. Plug back in. No dialtone. Fool with DMZ/ port forwarding settings on my modem. No dice. It was after hours for tech support, so I submitted a ticket, and went to bed, disgusted.

Success – at last!

The next day, I got home from work, and got on the phone with tech support, determined to get phone service restored to our home. Finally, after an hour of work, the tech discovered that the new Linksys ATA had a bad auto-provisioning script. Once corrected, it hooked right up, and I was in business. I have now been trouble free for about two weeks now, and let me tell you, it is a beautiful thing. I love Caller ID! I love getting my phone messages via email! I love not getting a busy signal when I call my wife and she’s talking to a friend! (I know what you’re thinking, call waiting has been around since the 80’s, right?) Like I said, it doesn’t take much to impress me.

Getting the most out of VOIP

OK, so you know that I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to this VOIP thing, but I’m also a tinker-er; I like to mess with things to see what happens. So, my first question was “how can I make the most of the two lines VOIPo offers?” It makes sense to have an extra phone lying around so that two different phone conversations can take place at once, since we have that capability. I have a feeling that this will become increasingly more important as my children (ages 7, 5, 2, and 9 months) get older and discover the joys of talking on the phone. So, I found an inexpensive two line phone on Ebay to play with. My question was, how will a two line phone react to VOIP service? When a call comes in, both lines ring simultaneously, so I wondered how a two line phone would deal with that. As it turns out, it’s perfect – when a call comes in, both lines light up, but (this phone at least) selects line 1 automatically, and all is good. It’s also very easy to get to line 2 if someone else is already on, (the line buttons light up when in use by an extension) or to conference two calls together! I know that this can be done with the flash button, but it ain’t so easy.

Another “trick” that I haven’t seen anyone mention is how to have a “quasi” dedicated fax line. I have my fax machine plugged in to line two, and set to answer at 5 rings. My “main” number is set to go to voicemail after 4 rings, but I disabled voicemail on the virtual number, so it keeps right on ringing. So, faxes can be sent to my virtual number, and picked up by the fax. Granted, this only works if no-one picks up the phone first, but I don’t get faxes very often anyway, so it works just fine for me.

I’m sure I’ll find new things to love about VOIPo, but for right now, I’m having a Renaissance with the telephone – it’s all new to me again!