VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Set it and forget it"
Bad "Nada, niente, nichts, rien, nil"
Overall "Plug it in and forget it"

·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
April 12, 2014 ---

We are using VOIPo's service as our main residence number in our Boca Raton home. We have not had any recent problems or glitches ... no need to contact their excellent customer support folks for quite some time. The improved website as well as the excellent feature set, including faxing and SMS, are are serving us well.

Frankly, my wife no longer thinks of our VoIP setup (including a second backup line with another excellent provider) as one of my usual 'follies'.

======================================================
July 9, 2013 ---

VOIPo continues to perform brilliantly. The recent changes to their website have made negotiating the site child's play. The addition of SMS texting, allowing the outgoing CallerID for any given text to show any of the account's DIDs (in most cases), even fax DIDs, is greatly appreciated ... given the uses I have for texting. My recent contact with customer service to request info on linking my iPhone's BRIA app to my VOIPo account resulted in a quick, helpful and accurate response.

======================================================
November 15, 2012 ---

I've deleted my prior comments, begun in 2008 after a period as an alpha-tester and subsequently a beta tester.  Because the past is the past. it is more appropriate at this juncture for me to report my current views about VOIPo.

Over the last 4+ years, I have updated my reviews every 6 months or so.  My prior comments chronicled the initial development stages and steady improvement in the areas of quality, reliability, service and support.  For the longest time, my only reservations concerned the website appearance and functionality. But now, with the website "up spiff", I have nothing left to complain about.

For those who want a provider-provided pre-set ATA (adapter) ... no need to fiddle with the technical aspects of setting up the adapter ... and a fixed annual cost with no surprises ... VOIPo fits the bill nicely.

member for 8.9 years, 3428 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

"Almost unlimited"

What do you mean by "almost unlimited?" What's the limit?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

Re: "Almost unlimited"

There has been lots of discussion and dialogue and debate over the years ... in the BBR Forums ... relating to the use of the term "unlimited" in the marketing of VoIP services. This term would seem to indicate that there are no set limits (caps) on outgoing and/or incoming calls with non-PAYG (non-Pay-As-You-Go) accounts ... i.e., accounts with fixed monthly or annual fees.

It has become a standing "joke" at this point that just about every provider that advertises "unlimited calling" actually does have a limit applied to monthly minutes usage.  With some providers, a specific cap on usage is mentioned (buried) in their Terms of Service (TOS) while others have a secret cap that is only discovered when the end user surpasses that value and is billed for overages or involuntarily upgraded to a more expensive business account.

Thus, the expression "almost unlimited" represents a sarcastic/cynical interpretation by many seasoned posters in the VoIP Forum.

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Responsive customer service, great price, great features."
Bad "None for a year now (see review)"
Overall "Amazing value, getting more reliable all time."

Update 3/23/14

I know it's been available for a while but I've just started using the newly user control panel for VOIPo. The control panel, or VPanel, in VOIPo-speak allows you to log in online and manage the features and review your account. A feature rich service like VOIPo's makes for complex account management! The revised VPanel is huge improvement, simple to find what you're looking for and with plain English description of options and features when needed. Nice one VOIPo!

Otherwise...
No glitches or hiccups in the service since the last review and the call quality is always great.
I did contact support with one technical question (an ugly hardcore low-level puzzler) and they got back to me quick and with the correct info.

These guys'n'gals are clearly knocking the ball out of the park for VOIP service.

Update 10/6/2013

It's been a year? No way!

Well I have no update to report. No issues. Working fine without a hitch for a year now.

I'm still get great responses (timely and intelligent, techie/nerdy as needed) when I ask for a clarification on a services/features.

I realize now that VOIPo have changed how I see telephone service since I dropped Verizon years ago. Despite the bumps along the way.

The ratings have been upped to reflect the reliable service and solid support.

Update 12/2013

Woah! Sorry, an update is so overdue!

A serious tech issues came back in November 2012, sometimes incoming calls were immediately directed to voicemail. VOIPo worked with me and in late November updated the firmware. Since then there's been no instance of anything not working correctly.

I've update the ratings to reflect the new reliability and the support.

Update 9/21/2012

Ahhh, I'm getting so burned out on these technical issues!

Since the update to the FW I've been getting partial breakdowns every few weeks. What happens is the VOIPo servers loose the registration of my internet/phone adapter. I'm left with a dial tone and can dial out but all incoming calls go straight to VOIPo voicemail.

VOIPo have asked me to take the adapter off UPS in case dirty UPS power is causing the problem. I have plugged it into the outlet direct but the issue reccurs. My UPS logs show the power has been clean and my modem shows the ISP connection has been stable during these "events."

On their part VOIPo have been responsive to support tickets, though the responses are getting more and more terse. In response to the current issue they have changed a value in the adapter firmware that will make the adapter more tolerant of server connectivity fluctuations. Time will tell if that resolves this latest issue.

With so many good reviews of VOIPo I suspect some of these problems are ISP related, so it's not a wholely bad reflection on VOIPo... but it's just one issue after another!

Another update coming in a month, or sooner.

Update 8/9/2012

After raising another support ticket for one-sided calls (even with modem before router) VOIPo support flashed a new firmware in my phone adapter. Since then, a few weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly.

Let's hope this sticks.

Update 7/3/2012

Well , not much has changed. We're still getting one-sided calls happening. Sometimes the rate of this peaks to well over over half the calls, but usually stays lower, about 1/4th of all calls. I've also had disconnects if I'm using the mute on my phone.

Despite the perfect pricing plan that VOIPo has for my usage pattern, the service just hasn't been reliable enough to keep. I can't tell if the issue is with Cox (my ISP) or the ATA hardware, or VOIPo's service/servers but I do know VOIPo service, as responsive as it is, hasn't resolved or pin-pointed the problem.

VOIPo has fantastic plans, pricing, and features, but it just ain't reliable enough. I am shopping around now for alternatives.

Updated 1/17/12

Sorry, this is so overdue!

Been having some issues, like others in these reviews, about calls not connecting and one sided calls. This has been going on for months.

VOIPo support has been responsive to every ticket. I've been put on different VOIPo servers, had two ATA devices, ran diagnostic internet performance tests, moved devices on my LAN, setup porting/routing on my router, had call routes provisioned, traffic switched to just VOIPo servers...

But, I'm still getting call connection issues.

This may not be VOIPo's fault, there is still my Surfboard, Cox Communications ISP, and the Internet at large in the mix.

I will update again... soon.

_______________________________________________________

Had VOIPo for a year now, just renewed for another year.

Well, there's not much to say really. It works, it's reliable if your ISP, modem and router are reliable. (I'll qualify that later.)

They provide a telephone adapter, it goes after the modem/router and you plug the phone line right in, standard phone jack... and off you go.

The package I find suits me best is the 1year, it includes 60mins/month international landline calls, never any charge to any number in the US.

The fax line was additional $25/year, it works using document upload/e-mail and it works great.

Voice mail can be received in e-mail as well as accessed via the phone handset.

The online account management is great, easy to use and all the features are there. And there are tons of features there.

The support is mind-bendingly fast, informative and humane. The best I have ever, ever, experienced.

I have had infrequent trouble with my router that caused the VOIPo service to be unstable,... BUT it was 100% all in my router, not VOIPo.

Porting my old POTS number was messy because Verizon & MCI were pointing fingers at each other. Once I got them sorted out VOIPo porting was fast and easy.

If I had more then two thumbs they'd all be, "Way up!" for VOIPo.

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

I'm having one sided call problems with VOIPo too

I'm pretty certain my equipment isn't at fault (I've changed ISPs/routers and the problem followed). I created a support ticket, they supposedly switched networks that I'm on, but no difference.

It's so hit and miss. At least if it were consistent I'd be more easily able to get tech support to fix it. Some days I can make lots of calls without any trouble, other days I have to resort to my cell phone.
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
rnikischer

join:2002-12-28
Ottawa, IL

Having Difficulties Also

I'm really disappointed with the service. It has become unreliable. I experience the same trouble as everyone else. I have no complaints with tech support. They are responsive. I have followed their instructions for port forwarding but the intermittent problems still exist. Problems started to surface about 6 months ago. Some days I may only get 50% of the incoming calls, the rest of the time the callers - as well as on my end, will get dead air after picking up the phone when it rings. The other regular problem is calls routing to the failover number for no apparent reason. We can't all be crazy. It has to be their service. Prior to Voipo I was with Vonage and had maybe 3 service issues in 4 years. I am running out my 2 year pre-paid plan and if there is no improvement I will regrettably go elsewhere.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..

Your firewall

is the problem.

I had this problem too and had to spend quite some time getting my FW and NAT rules correct. You've got to port forward most of the UDP ports directly to your adapter.

Want to really rule out your FW? Put the adapter directly on your cable modem for a few hours and see how it goes.

Once my logs were showing clean on no port blocking the one sided calling thing went away on non-in-network calls.

In-network calls were another story.

Re: Your firewall

Yep, tried all those. Different routers, port forwarding and putting the ATA after modem-before router. No difference. Plus, VOIPo have put me on different servers, updated my ATA firmware and swapped out ATAs. Still no difference.

Apart from Cox as my ISP with a SB6120 modem everything has been changed up and tried!

But tell me...
What logs are you referring to that showed no port blocking? Where was your port blocking occuring?
What is the other story about In-network calls?

TIA!
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

Sunnyvale, CA

port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

when outgoing no-ring became a problem, VOIPo support talked me through port forwarding for my 2wire router/modem. It took under 10 minutes. Now, a few weeks later, the problem is back. Also, dialing my VM gets me a busy signal [VM emails arrive, though].

power cycling the Voipo adapter usually makes things work, but not for long. My AT&T uverse internet connection seems solid when I browse the web.

I sent another email to support after hours today.

Ultimately, reliability is more important than saving $$.
AT&T uverse voice was overpriced but reliable

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

As usual a VOIPo technician responded promptly to my email and said "I have changed the command ports your adapter is using along with updating the server your adapter connects to in order to fix the busy signal issues. Please power cycle the adapter for these changes to take affect."

I power cycled and VM now works fine.

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

That's a laugh! (and I did)

The same old routine... it gets tired after a couple of years.

Hope it sticks this time!

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

It's been 3 weeks since the fix and all works well.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

The biggest problem

I biggest problem I ever had with a VOIP phone is the uplink.
1 Mbps is barely enough to support it most of the time. 2 Mbps is much better.

I firmly believe the VOIP phones work much better in large cities than it does in rural America where the Internet is not nearly as dependable.

A engineer friend in Dallas had a 3 year pre paid contract with VoipO.When it started the same problems you talk about he disconnected. Now he is using Straight Talk for home. There are some volume issue but it works.

I had Vonage. It was okay until their equipment failed 9 months into the contract. For 90 days I had a wannabe phone. It wasn't until I quit they offered to replace it. I gave them a scathing review that is now missing. .
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Re: The biggest problem

1 MBPS could be enough, but if it's not stable then, yeah there's nothing you can do. The location of these service providers servers can be critical, and can directly affect stable connection speeds. I have used VOIPo's east and central servers and never had a bandwidth or jitter problem with either.

The issues I got have always been some systemic technical glitch that got fixed, eventually.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State

Re: The biggest problem

The only time my provider cares is when I mention my Commerce Commission. Otherwise they hope I will die or blow away.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by piggygirl See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Very good service as usual"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Nothing to really complain about--still"

Updated: 02/24/2014
Great service since 2008
------------------------------------
Updated: 01/28/2013
Still no complaints
Phone rings when it's supposed to
Calls still clear.
-----------------------------------
Update: 06/10/2012
Had them since 2008
No complaints. Calls are clear. No dropped calls.
No reason to contact customer service.
I think my favorite option is the filtering. The only way to deal with telemarketers.
The amount of money saved over Verizon land line has been the major plus.
Keep up the good work.
---------------------------------------
Update: 12/22/2011
Had them for about 3 years now.
No complaints. Calls are clear.
No reason to contact customer service.
It just works.

Update: 08/09/2011
Still having excellent service
Still nothing to complain about

-----------------------------
Update: 12/11/2010
Excellent service.
Nothing to complain about.
Great promotion prices

--------------------------
Update 02/14/2010
I have nothing to complain about.
It just works..
--------

Update 10/19/2009
Very stable.
Clear audio.
Very little contact with customer service.
--------

Update 04/11/2009

Since the replacement of the Grandstream, dropped registrations are a ghost of the past.

I realized I could get 1 free virtual number, which I happily now give to the credit card companies.

Customer service has been very responsive.

Keep up the good work!!

================================================

Update 03/16/2009

Had the Grandstream which kept dropping registrations which Voipo replaced with the PAP2T.

Since then, no dropped registrations, audio has been clear both directions.

There was a problem which Voipo diagnosed and reacted quickly to it.

=============================
I've been with VOIPo for about 2 months now.
Sound is very clear.
I've had a few tickets that were dealt with quickly.
Simultaneous ring is a nice new feature.

Keep up the good work!

Comments:

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Uptime is impressive"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Awsome service!"

·OlyPen, Inc.
·Wave Broadband
02/14 All quiet. everything's just been working. Going to add a number soon for our business.

11/12 All quiet. everything's just been working.

11/10 All quiet. everything's just been working.

6/19/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/25/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/4/09 Things still great here. couple small issues this week resolved quickly including one that required a datacenter move. Wow! My companies choice for a provider sure has never responded so quick and complete as issues have arisen. These guys are serious about making sure the service stays up!

To date my service from them is still rock solid. Doesn't miss a beat.

I was on the beta now for over a year. In that time I gave up the Qwest service I had that I said I would not do as I watched other voip services have so many problems. I am now a paying customer and couldn't be happier.

Since most of us started out as BYOD all that was needed was a log-in and all was set.

As a beta this service had better up time than my place of employment's chosen established provider and Still continues to be the case up till now.

The equipment that has been provided for the test now is rock solid no problems.

I'm recommending them highly!

sales@voipo.com if your interested.

Comments:

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Great Voice Quality Fast Email Support"
Overall "Voipo is great"

Update 02/19/2014

Great reliability and pricing...I recommend them highly.

Update 5/30/2012

I am still with Voipo and everything is still reliable as the day I first subscribed. My internet connection is 30 meg down/3meg up. As always, your ISP needs to be reliable as your voip service.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I am new to Voipo and I am a happy customer. After using Packet 8 now 8x8 since 2005, I can already tell that Voipo is years ahead of them when it comes to support and quality of service. I will be updating this review over the next couple of weeks since I am new to Voipo. My number is scheduled to port to them on 06/09/09. I am glad to have switched so far.

Update

My number has been ported over to Voipo as scheduled. Service reliability continues to be excellent.

==============================================================

Since my last review, I can say that Voipo has maintained the great level of service and is very reliable for me. Customer service is quick to respond via email when I had questions. I can't recomend them enough.

member for 14.3 years, 6561 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bink See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, unlimited calling, emailed voicemail, features, call routing, US-based support"
Bad "Generally clueless US-based support"
Overall "Great value with efforts being made to move past value brand"

I’ve been a customer for almost a year now and I can say I’m generally pleased. There were some minor hiccups during the initial install and some BYOD service consistency issues at times, but, generally, the service is good. They are also making strides to go beyond being the low cost leader and their founder goes above and beyond when it comes to online interaction. That said, I have to say the support is consistently below par. While you might get a quality support person at times—and it's great when this happens—in general, the majority of the support personnel seem lazy and nonchalant. Generally, support tickets are randomly bounced around the personnel, personnel tend not to take time to understand the history of the ticket and they don’t seem to understand their product well, and this is systemic.

So, in summary, good product, good price and hopefully your interaction with support is minimal.

member for 8.3 years, 4354 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by robharrisva See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Call Quality, VPanel interface, Response time to trouble tickets"
Bad "Inbound calls get disconnected after 60 minutes"
Overall "Good value, but disconnected calls kills it"

Been a customer since 2009. With each passing year, the service has gotten better and better. Tech Support has always been there to resolve issues (i.e. No receive audio, Echo, Noise) in a timely matter.

However, in November 2013, I suddenly started experiencing problems with inbound calls being disconnected after 60 minutes regardless of originating carrier. VOIPo tech support has now indicated that all troubleshooting efforts have been exhausted. Sadly, this means that I probably won't be a VOIPo customer much longer.

Comments:

Review by Fisamo See Profile

• Location: Apex,Wake,NC
Good "Good feature set, EXCELLENT customer service, just works!"
Bad "None, really. Minor: Would like service dashboard upon login."
Overall "A solid choice for primary service."

·Earthlink Cable ..
8 February 2014: Update.

Another year, little more to say. The new control panel is now available to all Voipo users, but it's still not the 'default' panel when you log in from the main website. The new panel looks better, and almost all of the options/commands you'd want to change are available alphabetically, so everything's pretty easy to find. The one suggestion for improvement would be to have a "dashboard" shown when logging in to the control panel - whether or not certain features (call forward/do not disturb) are active, number of voicemail messages, etc. Otherwise, it's a very solid choice for me and my family.

25 Jan 2013: Update.

So it's been over 3 years since my last review. I've spent less time on DSLR, and they must have given up on requesting review updates from me. The only change in my 1 - 5 ratings is an increase in their website, due to the beta control panel. Call quality has always been fine, reliability has been fine (have never noticed the line being down), and I can't complain about value for money.

Over the past 3 years, I have made a few fairly significant changes in how I connect to Voipo. As a grandfathered BYOD user, I do not have a provisioned adapter and have brought my own device. For a while, I operated an PiaF server at home, with Voipo as a primary trunk. Even adding a layer of Asterisk between my ATA and Voipo, the service is rock solid. After running my home PBX for a while, I started having reliability issues with the hardware running my PiaF, and I migrated to a cloud service. Still no problems. I can honestly say that I'd have to log in to my control panel to look at the ticket log to see if my last ticket was one or two+ years ago. That particular problem was unique to BYOD, too; they still worked with me to fix it, even though BYOD is not supported. Over the past 3+ years, the only complaints I've gotten from household members have been either (1) related to the issue described above [which would not have happened with a provisioned adapter], or (2) resolved on my end by tweaking my home network.

Count me a happy customer!

9 November 2009: Update.

I've officially been a paying customer for over a year, so I'm comfortable posting a review update with a reliability rating. While I have given them a 5, the rating does come with the caveat that I did find CallVantage to be more reliable. The difference isn't enough to justify downgrading Voipo to a 4, but CallVantage was a tough act to beat (until they decided to beat themselves into oblivion). Since CallVantage decided to shut down, I ported our primary line to Voipo, so it obviously gets a LOT more use.

Updated rating categories:

Website - 3 (no change), because the user portal is not intuitive enough for my liking. While I have no trouble getting what I need out of it, the user portal still lacks built-in user cues and help screens to make it more user-friendly.

Ease of installation - unranked, because I'm a "grandfathered BYOD user".

Call quality - 5 (no change) I've heard occasional echos, but not sufficiently bad to lower the rating.

Reliability - 5 (first rating) We have had a few RARE instances of calls not ringing through properly, but IIRC, those only occurred while we had their SimulRing feature active (still beta, but that particular problem's been resolved). The other oddball problem was that a few of my calls were sent with the incorrect CallerID number. It seems that the issue has been resolved on a case-by-case solution applied to my account, because a few other customers have experienced a similar problem. These problems are not severe enough to merit lowering the reliability rating in my book.

Tech Support - 5 (no change) top notch, polite, happy to help. Can't ask for better.

Value for money - 5 (increase) given the reliability over the past year, tech support, etc., there's no reason to not give top marks. Fair notice - as a customer who was in from the beginning, I have an extreme discount on my pricing for as long as I have my account.

6 April 2009: Initial review.

OK, so I've been a Beta user/customer since the "second" beta period opened. Overall, reliability _for me_ has been excellent--it rarely went down during the beta period, and I have only had sporadic troubles since, but I still use CallVantage as my primary line, and I don't use the Voipo line enough to give a reliability rating much weight at this time. Right now, pricing is excellent for everyone willing to pay for 1 year up front ($99/yr), and as a "Founder" I will get that price as long as I maintain the account. Since I also have been promised the ability to connect via my Asterisk system, it satisfies my 'hobbyist' interest in having an inexpensive (even though, for my use, a PAYGO provider might be even less expensive) line.

In any case, below are the details of the numeric ratings I gave.

=============================================

Website: 3 - vPanel is plain, I'd like more checkboxes, checkboxes/radio buttons instead of dropdowns for binary features, more prominent voicemail, better contact input system. The principal reason for the relatively low mark is the lack of documentation of "how-tos". Lists of star codes, voicemail code, setup configuration, etc., should exist in very-easily-found "For New Customers" web pages, etc. In addition, clear descriptions of how features work, what they are, etc., (ideally, quick-text help links near each feature) are lacking. The feature that causes the most confusion is the 'telemarketer block.'

Ease of Installation: [unranked] I participated in the beta and continue BYOD. I know what I'm doing for configuring my account, and if there's a glitch, it's usually on my end. Therefore, it's not appropriate for me to rate this aspect of their service.

Call Quality: 5 - All calls have been clear. Not much more to say there.

Reliability: [Unranked] - OK, admittedly a cop out, but I don't use the line enough to give a fair assessment. If a gun were to my head and I HAD to choose a number, I'd probably give a 3/5 due to the complaints of issues (and acknowledgement of Voipo staff/owner) with the hope (and expectation) of raising it over the next month or two.

Tech Support: 9 - Unfortunately, I can't really give them a 9, I'm limited to 5. They've always been extremely responsive and the responses are substantive, not vacant script-reading in nature. When I wanted outgoing CID Name (LIDB population for my line), I unfortunately had to change numbers, but tech support handled it quickly, professionally, and the right way the first time.

Overall Value: 4 - Sorry, I can't give a 5 rating with reliability at a 3 (even though I haven't "officially" ranked it). If the 'wrinkles' have been ironed out, this score will definitely rise.

Comments:

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "All you can eat, one price"
Bad "Porting snafu, but resolved"
Overall "So far so good"

Recent residential move led to need for something other than a pay per minute approach (which I have for several other providers). After researching, selected VOIPO for it's $149 (+ taxes) for 2 year promo. For the price you get "unlimited" residential calling, porting, LIDB, CNAM and 911.

The only snafu was the porting. We were porting a GV number in the new area (one that we had for some time), and got the FOC date from VOIPO. But on the day after the FOC, callers were getting a "not in service" message. VOIPO claimed the number was released too early by GV, but this was the day after the FOC, so I called BS.

Tim and his team did sort it out that same day (in a matter of hours) and service since has been very good. I'm using a combo of their Grandstream device and BYOD service via my OBI-110. I actually find the call quality a little bit better on the OBI than on the GS, but I get a slight bit of latency on the OBI that doesn't seem to happen on the GS from VOIPO. So the jury is out on which approach I will take going forward.

The family doesn't notice any difference from VOIPO and their old POTS service, so that's good, really all that matters.

Now I wish that VOIPO had a way to test 911 so I could have some confidence it's set up correctly...

Update Aug 2013:

Running smoothly, updated my router which removed any connection glitches that might occur.

Still getting the occasional drop at 18 minutes (this seems to be a VOIPO thing... see other internet comments on drops between 15-19 minutes), but since this is in a non-business setting, and I am only paying 7 bucks, I'm willing to tolerate a few drops.

Still no way to test E911, hope I don't need to anytime soon.

If the renew for 2 years at the price of one is offered again, might re-up for another couple, it's been that stable.

Updated and increased my scores based on 5+ months of service.

--UPDATED JAN-2014--

As noted above, the quality and stability has been great. The occasional mysterious call drops at 18 mins have all but disappeared.

The wife and kids don't detect any difference from our old landline and we're saving a boatload of money every month.

Re-upped with the early renewal offer back in 4Q2013, I'm very satisfied, now locking in until 2017.

Comments:

Review by Dew See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "I recommend Voipo"
Overall "Very good features, service and price"

I have been a Voipo customer since the summer of 2010 and have been able to hook up the small and light Voipo box and have continuous use of my same telephone number in a number of locations where I’ve stayed for weeks or months at a time. It’s simple and easy to hook it up anywhere there has been broadband internet service.

In the account settings online, you can set voice mail to come to you as an mp3 file attached to an email. This wonderful feature has enabled me to receive messages while en route from place to place by using public wifi service and checking email, playing the messages through my media player. Voipo also offers other special features such as call recording, call forwarding, call waiting, distinctive ringtone, a “do not disturb” setting, and detailed/extensive call history records, among other features.

Customer service and technical assistance has been quick, respectful, and responsive to my needs. And the price is right! I recommend this service and this company. My brother recommended Voipo to me and has been with the company even longer than I have.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

Welcome to DSLR

Hi Dew,
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you will find the world of VoIP and this site as exciting as we do!
I have a question... You write:
quote:
Are you familiar with any Voice Service Provider (VSP) that doesn't offer such service? If I were Voipo Tim, I would feel a little uncomfortable for being praised for such trivial thing (imagine praising a bank for having online access to your account).

Other than that, I agree - Voipo has deservedly great reputation in VSP community
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues