VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Kill4Speed See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "voice quality has been excellent"
Overall "there are a few missing features but I'll take stable service/reliability over features any day"

I've been beta-ingVOIPo since it was offered (1yr+)
despite the fact that it's still in beta, I've rarely experience unannounced outages
voice quality has been excellent

08/04/2008 update
VOIPo is not publicly launched yet; however, I've been very happy during the (generously long) beta that I've ordered (1yr) service for my parents (nontechies, who live out of state)

10/09/2008 update
Still impressed with the VOIPo stable service; decided to port my own home number to VOIPo as well

10/22/08 update
Outstanding Customer Support! Here are some examples:

1. I submitted a ticket regarding audio quality issue with the 1st ATA sent via VOIPo (to my out of state parents). Despite the hardship caused by the hurricane, VOIPo quickly replaced the defective equipment
2. I expressed issue with audio delay of 2-3 ms in answering incoming calls with the HT-286, VOIPo promptly resolved it by upgrading my ATA to a HT-502. Thanks for saving my ears (from the wife's complaints)
3. I submitted a ticket regarding answering machine recorded busy/reorder tone after callers hung up. The support team thanked me ,"VOIPo appreciates your dedication and involvement in advancing our service and features.", and informed me that they've forward the issue to their developers

For those that want to obtain reliable, plug and play VOIP service, I highly recommend VOIPo

I'll try to update the review as time permits

03/13/09 update
Since I've learned VOIPo 'fixed' the 30 min. session timer problem with ATAs which do not support RFC4028, I've started using my own SPA-1001 (instead of the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502)
AFAIK, we did not experience the infamous "lost registration" that many have experienced; Our audio quality has been excellent; my parents ,OTOH, experienced occasion audio and registration issues; BTW, they're still using the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502. I've asked them (my parents) to keep me informed so that I can submit problem ticket to VOIPo support team

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/09

1. the 15th of this month marks our 1st year anniversary with VOIPo - yes, time flies while we're ...
2. I've paid for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)
3. Needless to say, I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo

04/18/10

Experienced a brief outage - promptly addressed by support
While I read others have/had experienced stability issues with VOIPo,
I'm still happy with the service.
One has to realize that VOIP over public network will never be as reliable as POST...
lost my thought there, but I hope everyone get what I'm trying to convey

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/10

I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo, signed up for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)

01/10/14 - Still with VOIPo - enuf said

member for 7.2 years, 2615 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by clintsb See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Love all the features for the price, good support"
Bad "Perhaps less forgiving of router configurations"
Overall "I am still very happy with my decision"

I switched to Voipo in 2009 after having been with AT&T and they basically told me to go find another company. I had been happy with AT&T so was sorry that I had to switch. After the switch I was wishing that I had switched earlier. My call quality was just as good and all the new features were awesome. I love love the cloned line and all the call routing configurations. So now after nearly 5 years I think it is time to finally give a report.

I have had issues but with perhaps just a couple exceptions have actually been on my end. I have been in the same boat as several other reviewers where the service had been great and all the sudden I had problems. Things like incoming calls the caller couldn't hear me or that the call hung up automatically after 15 minutes. It was odd because I hadn't changed anything but when I got right down to it there was a configuration problem on the router. I hadn't forwarded all the needed ports or in the case of the 15 minute dropped call issue, it was the SPI firewall. Disabled it and everything was good after that.

One of the challenges is knowing what is a good router to use. I had been using a D-LINK Gamers Lounge(Ya old) that the power adapter died on. I decided rather than getting a new adapter I would get something that had better wireless. I got an Apple Airport Extreme router. It was strange I was able to use it for about 6 months and then I started suffering with the problems that acted like a port forwarding issue. I fought it and fought it and tried working through Voipo support. They tried their best but said it wasn't on their end. Finally I gave up on it and got a Asus RT-66R. I have had it for well over a year and it has been great and all the problems went away.

The only time I can think of a problem that was on their end we were having problems calling to Canada. It was some weird issue that they had on their end but they got it resolved.

So while we have had issues we have worked through them and by and large they really were issues on our end. To anyone looking to switch to voipo I would only caution that the service is great but you should be a little bit technical so that you can properly configure your router. If you can't do that you won't be happy. It does seem like they are less forgiving of issues with the router and sometimes you can go a long time without problems and then all the sudden these configuration problems start giving you grief.

One thing about reliability. I can live with a little bit of unreliability but my wife's tolerance is zero, it has to work or she isn't happy. Thankfully she is happy and so am I.

Comments:

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Line quality, many nice features"
Bad "The website, and the features, are not entirely "polished""
Overall "Pretty good"

·PHONE POWER
Having used two other voip providers in the past six years, I thought it is time for me to check this provider.

The line quality is excellent. My callers tell me that my voice is the clearest that it has been in the past few years.

The service has a lot of nice features, although not all feature work, or work well. I had my eye on their simul-ring feature, among other features. After staying on the phone with tech-support for the better part of two entire days, I was able to get this feature working. It still sporadically malfunctions, and so I shut this feature off. Nonetheless, Voipo has a lot of nice features that do work. I particularly like the voice-mail forwarding feature. The web-site is a bit confusing and somewhat primitive. It does not do justice to the many features that this carrier offers.

There seems to be two distinctly different customer service teams: the email team and the voice team. The email team responds within 24 hours, often even sooner; but their responses are often scripted and sometimes misleading. The voice support team, is available only during regular hours, is very helpful, and exceptionally patient. Ultimately, it is the voice team that resolves complex problems.

All told, I am very happy with this provider.

Comments:

Review by bird95134 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Great support, communications from VoIPo, call quality, steady - consistent service"
Overall "Great price, Great tech support when needed. BEST value for service and features, period....."

·Cox HSI
UPDATE: 12/4/2013

Great service. Very satisfied. Would like to see new features, e.g. soft client or mobile device SIP support (and is probably available today with 3rd party apps). Click to dial would be a great option as well. I recently change routers and did have to configure port forwarding on new router to work correctly.

UPDATE: 7/11/2013

Continued my service for another 2 years -- $159 for two years, so about $6.65 per month!! Unlimited calling/LD. Really do not use the service much as everyone in the house uses cellular services now. However, when I do use the service -- always works. Still Highly Recommend this service.

UPDATE: 1/16/2012

Continued my service for another year due to another great year of reliable, consistent service. I want my dial tone to be a "non-issue". Excellent service, call quality has exceeded my expectations. I receive high value for the amount I pay. I continue to HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

Update: 6/25/2011.

Continued my service. Excellent service, call quality is very, very good. I will say, as I used vanilla Tomato (on a Linksys router), Tomato USB variant has made this service ROCK SOLID -- i.e. it can recover automatically from any network glitches. This is the overall, best value for Voip services -- period. All other complaining must have a technical problem, which the Voip consumer industry, as a whole, must just deal with. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

UPDATE: 7/29/2009.

Service continues to be excellent. Issues seen during late 2008/early 2009 are history. If you plan to use Tomato or DD-WRT, expect to have to modify some settings to handle a router reboot. I run Tomato and found I had to make modifications to UDP packet timeouts, with the excellent help from the VoipO support team (and help from Wireshark).

Clearly the best service/value combination I have found. Couple things people need to understand. If you need to fax -- get a POTS line from your local, traditional provider for 'basic lifeline services', add a dial-around plan for LD calls. Don't even think you can get by with faxing on Voice over IP service -- if you can, consider yourself lucky. If you can't, and you complain, you are simply a fool. Lastly, make sure you have a clean network at home. I recommended VoipO service to a few people and a couple of them had problems. I personally looked into their problems and found they had packet loss on their local network because of bad cables. Garbage in gets Garbage out.

Original Post:

Very good service for the price level paid. Genuine concern for their customers. Excellent communication by management to customers. Problems are resolved fast when encountered. Excellent call quality.

member for 6.2 years, 150 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

Faxing over VOIP??

Don't know what this VOIP vendor is doing to prevent/hinder faxing, but I regularly fax, both send and recieve, over Vonage with absolutely zero problems..
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Mobile Device SIP Support

You mentioned this—and I’ve been satisfactorily using VOIPo with the SIP client built into my Android phone for almost two years now.

Review by Red Hazard See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Price and Reliability"
Bad "VOIPo ATA does not support home wiring according to VOIPo support."
Overall "YMMV"

Update 11/28/2013: Service still remains stable. I'm downgrading the "Ease of Installation" to mediocre due to 2 issues I discovered after switching to the OBi202 using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard. 1. The registration renewal interval was 60 seconds and not the standard 3600 (1 hour) interval (BTW VOIPo's ATA was 3600) and I did not want to add more bloating toward my internet cap. I had to get help changing to 3600 and the directions are now in the DSLreports VOIP Tech Chat Forum (search: OBIHAI Registration Interval with VOIPo). 2. The voice mail stutter tone notification was defaulted to disable with the installation wizard even though VOIPo provided ATAs have it enabled (at least mine, an HT502, did). It took me a while to figure out how to enable it with the OBi202. I posted directions on the VOIPo site in the Home & Home Office VoIP forum, but regrettably all my posts were subsequently expunged, presumably unintentionally. So you'll have to figure that one out though its not difficult.

_____________________________________________________

Update 08/29/2013: Service still remains reliable. I recently upgraded to a BYOD OBi202 due to sporadic OSD of CID/CNAM info from a DirecTV HR24 STB. It now displays consistently probably due to the 1 ampere power supply as compared to the HT502/702's 0.5 ampere power supplies. This was the only issue I had with the HT-702 used for the past ~9 months. Also the OBI installation went very smooth using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard and took only a few mins. Accordingly the Ease of Installation rating has been upgraded.

_____________________________________________________

Update 12/02/2012: I was able to register my BYOD ATA after determing that the DIR-655 B1 router, after F/W 2.07 and 2.10 updates and maybe 2.01, mandates that ALG SIP be ENABLED in order to register in the BYOD configuration. I verified this with a Grand Stream HT502 and HT702.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/15/2012: Service has been very stable. If I had to make a SWAG, I would guess that the previous reported problems had something to with asymetrical registration that now is no longer an issue. However Voipo support indicated that I needed t purchase another ATA which was wrong, but I must admit that I also thought the ATA was faulty (though I knew it was not my CAT 5e wiring causing that "issue"). O/A 10/13/2012 I updated the firmware of the DIR-655 from version 2.00 to 2.07 and I think that increased the reliability as occasionally numbers had to be re-dialed and that is no longer a problem. Accordingly, the reliability rating has been changed to max.

______________________________________________________

Update 10/2/2012: I give up. The VOIPo HT-502 is now working properly and is in it's initial physical/electrical configuration. Since the service is working properly and has been recently reasonably reliable, I am upgrading my review to reflect this fact for the past 2-3 weeks. Also the comments from Tim indicated that they do support BYOD (at least the same ATAs they issue) required my BYOD non-support comment to be removed. (Their site needs to be upgraded regarding BYOD IMO). I have ordered a phone line compatible multimeter for checking the ringing current, currently in the mail, and will take measurements if the ringing problem returns. FWIW, the ATA is powered by an APC HS-500 UPS.

______________________________________________

Update 09/12/2012: This morning my 2-line desk phone rang on FXS 2 while FXS 1 was on-hook. I checked VOIPo VPanel and noted under Devices that only FXS 2 was registered which I fixed with an ATA reboot. With both ports registered, I then verified incoming calls would ring on FXS 1 first and then left it off-hook to see if FXS 2 would ring. It did, but still has the weak ringing current symptom. This definitely has to be a VOIPo HT-502 issue. Why was the FXS 2 ringing current OK when FXS 1 was not registered? I dread contacting VOIPo support after their "home wiring causing the ringing problem" diagnosis.

_______________________________________________________

Update 09/10/2012: This is bizarre. The VOIPo HT-502 now rings on FXS 1 as it should (good ringing current and rings first when both lines on-hook). However, if FXS 1 is off-hook, FXS 2 attempts to ring but ringing current is too weak to even ring a single phone with a REN of 0.1. This is vice versa from the problem that initially occurred (I use the USOC color code for Cat5 and FXS 1 port is back on the blue pair). This does however prove once again that my home wiring is not causing the ringing issue. With my bad experience using VOIPo support, I am reluctant to try again and need to make sure the problem does not reverse again because my base station phone has several wireless phones throughout the house that are primary usage and currently on FXS 1.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/28/2012: Attempted to use my own device (PAP2T this time) with the same results as my HT-502. Incoming calls work fine on both lines but outgoing calls more often than not result in a fast busy. When I look at the simple instructions of other VOIP providers that encourage or require BYODs, the setup looks simple. However, there must be some tricky BYOD settings that VOIPo requires and I don't know the secret handshake. So I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/19/2012: Essentially no change. I attempted using my own HT-502 and incoming calls rang fine on both lines. However, outbound calls consistently received a fast busy. I have something incorrect in the advanced settings and am unable to find help on the internet. I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

_________________________________________________________

Update 8/2/2012: No change. I probably will go the BYOD route if I can find some known good settings for VOIPo service on the internet for my owned HT-502 and empirically prove that my home wiring did not cause any problems. Since I no longer have an operable cloned second line, I am knocking off another point for value.

________________________________________________________

After 6 months, Line 1 of HT502 stopped working and calls started coming in on Line 2. Determined Line 1 had weak ringing current. Went to VOIPo chat for help. Advised that my house is wired with Cat5e and uses a DMT-16 Telephone Distribution Module. Was told by VOIPO that I HAD TO CONNECT MY PHONE DIRECTLY TO THE ATA. VOIPo tech said they DO NOT support home wiring. They claimed my home wiring degraded their used HT502 and wanted $50 to send me another one. I have 3 phones connected with a total REN of 0.3. If I had connected a single dial phone (REN 1.0) directly to their ATA, meeting VOIPO installation requirements, the load would be more than 3X than what I have now. Saying my home wiring degraded their used ATA does not support the common sense test.

Currently I am using HT502 Line 2, which behaves like Line 1 did previously, and have Line 1 disconnected as I do not want to spend $50 to replace their defective, used ATA. How do I know the next one would not also malfunction before my contract expires and get stuck with another $50 charge 2 or 3 times more if history is an indicator? Also, the HT502 supports a REN up to 3.0 which indicates that it is designed to support a number of extensions thus requiring home wiring with a bridging arrangement. Further, on the Grandstream internet site, in the HT502 user manual on page 11 of 50, Figure 2, it SHOWS 3 PHONES CONNECTED TO LINE 1 AND ANOTHER 3 ON LINE 2 JUST LIKE MY CONFIGURATION!! That's the final commentary on VOIPo policy and tech support.

member for 1.7 years, 47 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

trommel

@verizon.net

Great Choice

I just switched from another "voice over" provider to Voipo and was amazed at how easy the set up was. Voice quality is excellent and I think the calls go through faster...no echoes and no dropped calls...What more could you ask for?
I did have one minor glitch with the # of ports on the voice modem but they took care of that right away so I can actually call them the friendly phone company just as they describe themselves.
I signed up for the two year package for a total of $165, including all fees and taxes for both years, unlike my other provider who hit me up with additional fees and taxes at the start of the second year.
Of course only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about my switch to Voipo!

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and have seen your review in several places. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our service.

As you've stated, our support team determined that the device was damaged by house wiring and should be replaced.

We offer free replacements for devices that fail, but unfortunately we are not able to offer free replacements for devices that are damaged due to something like household wiring.

Since the device was damaged due to household wiring and this is not covered by our replacement policy, we offered a replacement device for $49.95 which you declined.

I do understand that you feel we should replace the device for free, but unfortunately we're not able to do that since it would not have been damaged if it had not been connected to household wiring.

At this time based upon the information that I have, it seems that everything has been handled in accordance with our policies and support handled all of your issues appropriately.

I notice you keep updating this review quite often (many times without any changes) so I'm not sure if this is being done to draw attention to it or if you have other issues with VOIPo that makes you frustrated with our company. If you would like to move your service to another provider, I can certainly make sure you get a full prorated refund since it seems like you have an unusual amount of frustration here.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to issue a replacement at our cost to meet you in the middle if that is something you are interested in. We could also provision any Grandstream ATA that you have if you'd like to purchase your own elsewhere.

If there is something I am missing or something that wasn't handled properly and in accordance with our policies, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you and get things resolved. Similarly if you'd like to take up my offer to provision a third-party device or buy one at our cost, just send me an e-mail.

Best Regards,

Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Re: VOIPo

With the detailed symptoms I have reported, I do not understand how anyone can conclude my Cat5e home wiring is causing the problems I am having with your HT-502. I also note that most customers use their home wiring, according to my research, without problems. My updates show the different configurations I have tried and the changing symptoms I have incurred. There is only one update that only indicated "no change" AND in that, I indicated troubles finding the required advanced settings for MY BYOD HT-502. I therefore don't understand the comment about updates being "many times without any changes".

What I do not understand is why when problems started initially, port 1 would not ring properly and now it does and port 2 now has the problems port 1 had (weak ringing current symptom). They were on the same blue pair when they "failed" and port 1 is now working properly on that same cable pair. This does not indicate a hardware electrical issue to me. I am going to experiment more with different phones directly connected to your HT-502 before I take you up on your offer to let me use my HT-502 and have your tech folks provide the correct advanced setting that have alluded me. FWIW, if my HT-502 fails within a year (not just 6 months) using the same wiring configuration, I'll gladly pay the $50 for damages and document the results here.

Re: VOIPo

said by Red Hazard:

For BYOD, we don't really require any special settings. If you own another 502 and want us to provision it we can do so without locking you out of the device (we'd just put whatever password you want in the provisioning file). Maybe that would work so you could compare our settings to what you use? Then if you want to stop using our provisioning, you just remove our provisioning URL from the device. Just e-mail me if you wanted to do this (include the MAC address) and I'll get it setup and send you back the provisioning URL to put in the device.

I'm not really a technical guy so I'm not going to get into technical details of the troubleshooting that's already been done. I have to defer to our tech guys for that.

I'm more than happy to try to help you out though as outlined above either with provisioning your personal device or meeting you in the middle on the replacement policy.

E-mail me at tim @ voipo.com if you want to discuss either of those of if there's something I'm missing where our techs didn't handle things without policy.

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
·Cox HSI

Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Hi Red,

I've recently been plagued with the same problem of the adapter un-registering from VOIPo's servers the last couple of months. That you see it too makes me thing it's some new bug between servers/adapters, or prone to fluctuations in ISP service.

FWIW - VOIPo have changed some values in my adapter to address this issue, though that testing is ongoing. The items changed were the "registration cycle" and/or the "Registration Expiration."

Might be worth having VOIPo try those to see if they help you.

Dave
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo
Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Re: Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Thanks for your help but the registration issue seems to be OK now. I've checked VPanel over a dozen times the past 2 weeks or so and no longer see that issue (?)

Review by dwangel See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Great Tech Support, Price and Voice Quality"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Company and Product!"

11.21.2013. It's been over three years now. I just thought of checking the reviews and found some unhappy experiences by other VOIPO customers. I thought to present an opposite point of view. For the last three years, I am happy to say my VOIPO service has been in smooth sailing almost all the time. I occassionally had issues with international calls. But after a short exchange with customer service, they were always able to fix it. I am also happy to say the customer service level has not dropped since I joined three years ago.

VOIPO is a perfect service for me. I am like everyone else, have a cell phone, email, Skype, facetime, etc. So I don't use my phone very much. A couple of my friends canceled their land line and carry their mobile phones on their belt clips in the house. It is so inconvinient. I pay VOIPO $8.0 a month and have six wireless phone handsets. I can pick up a phone from just about anywhere in my house. I love the features it offers. My most commonly used ones are blocking unwanted calls and forwarding calls when I travel.

Keep up the great work and great price VOIPO!

5.22.10. It's been four days since I hooked up VOIPo. I had been busy testing it. Calls to the USA works great. Today I placed two International calls. The call to China is crystal clear but very echoy. The other side needed to wait till my echoed voice stop before she could talk. For many people this maybe a problem. For me I can live with it because I use various internet services (such as Skype) to call China and they all echo to some degree. Maybe it is because of the distance. The call to England, however, was excellent. It is almost better than the calls domestically. It was crystal clear and no echo at all. It is like my dad was standing next to me. More update later.

5.17.2010. After 5 years, I finally said good bye to Vonage. I just could not take the ever increasing price any more. It is getting a bit of comical. But company got to make its decisions to stay financially viable. So as a consumer, I got to make my decisions to stay financially viable myself. The decision is VOIPo. My number was officially ported to VOIPo today.

So far my experience has been really good with VOIPo. Received adaptor quickly. Installation was a non-event. Plug in and I had a dial tone. Emailed support regarding number transfer. Answer was prompt. That was refreshing.

I was an early VOIP service adaptor, first as an employee user at Time Warner Cable for 2 years. Then after I left Timer Warner, I signed up with Vonage for 5 years. So far I am pleased with VOIPo. I already recommended to a friend of mine who is currently on Time Warner's triple-play plan. He is thinking about it, waiting to see how I fare with it.

Someone was saying VOIPo's website was un-professional. I think it is just fine. It's got everything I need. The most important thing is making sure phone works. I don't care if it does not have a fancy website.

I read a lot of reviews from here and it made me confident enough to sign up for two years. To repay the debt, I hope my positive review will help another as well.

I will keep updating this as time goes on.

Comments:

Review by CuriousGuy See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Support is great, service reliable, sounds fine"
Bad "In my experience, I have nothing to criticize"
Overall "I have no hesitation in recommending VOIPo highly!"

I gave a lot of consideration to VOIP before actually signing up. I studied the reviews and I was really impressed with the kind of user feedback VOIPo was getting. I wasn't even aware of the company until a few months ago. When I contacted them, I found them easy to deal with and, in no time, they were porting my number. The reason it took 17 days from order to success was just an unfortunate incident involving the Post Office. The USPS acknowledged notification from VOIPo of a package to be shipped to me. It was my PAP2T adapter and, for unknown reasons, it never arrived. Consequently, days were lost while I waited for the adapter to arrive. When I contacted VOIPo, they sent me another adapter overnight via Express Mail. I contributed to the delay myself, by purchasing a Linksys router at Radio Shack that was not the latest and, apparently had outdated firmware. VOIPo even sent me another adapter overnight!! However, I replaced the router with a current model, WRT54G2, and than all was well.

Everyone I dealt with was friendly and motivated to get the service working. Since them, everything has been more than fine and I feel I made an intelligent choice!

8/13/09: After a few bumps in early July, everything has returned to VOIPo's usual high standard of reliability!

member for 11.9 years, 2508 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

CuriousGuy

Harassment by spoofed caller ID

For the longest time, someone has been ringing my phone using various false names and numbers in caller ID. I feel there is a need to unmask the spoofer and block calls where spoofing is used. According to my information, this type of calling is in violation of federal law and subject to $10,000 fines. The caller never speaks, just rings until my voice mail kicks in and then hangs up. The one time I spoke to a VOIPo tech support representative, I was given two unacceptable choices: changing my telephone number or blocking anybody I didn't specify on my legitimate caller list. I'm hoping that this very annoying circumstance can be rectified.

More about spoofing

How would Kevin Mitnick use asterisk.org and flowroute.com to unmask caller ID? Geeks unite and help me! I know you guys are out there.

·VOIPO

VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to
resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

said by CuriousGuy:

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

Sure - E-mail me ticket numbers and info on this (can link to this thread vs retyping details) and I'll have a Supervisor look into it Monday for you.

Sorry for the trouble.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Tim, I was wasn't given a ticket number, which would indicate an open case. I guess the techs I spoke to considered the problem related to my ISP's latency and I was directed to contact Time Warner and inform them that I was experiencing latency. Time Warner ran some line checks and said everything on their end was fine.
I did receive an E-mail on Nov. 13 (#VLH861385) with a link to network check utility:
»www.voipo.com/download/network_check.exe

I was instructed to execute the link during a conversation in which there was poor quality. Since the problems were intermittent, it proved difficult to synchronize poor vocal quality and execution of the utility simultaneously. (see below)

When prompted to run the test, press 2 to run the thorough check and then press enter. The test will create a document titled "voipo-trace.txt" on your desktop. When completed, send the end results to support@voipo.com attached to this email.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Ok, e-mail me your account info to tim @ voipo.com and I'll have a supervisor take a look Monday.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

As of Tuesday, Nov. 19, I am getting my telephone service from Time Warner. I felt that I had no choice and the PAP 2T adapter is on its way to California.

said by CuriousGuy:

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like something changed somewhere and the connection to us just wasn't good anymore. Unfortunately since we reply on the internet sometimes that happens. Lots of variables in the mix.

Thank you for your business over the years and we hope your new service is working well for you.

Xracer

@mymailexpress.com
This has nothing to do with VOIPo (they are great) but with Time Warner Cable - I am a Tech for an Online School and one of our Instructors who lectures to students via the Online School Classroom system is with Time Warner Cable and when they teach their class from the place with TWC they now have dead space for 5 - 20 seconds where they are suppose to be speaking. We've called TWC they say it’s nothing on their end but our end. We told TWC we have 20 - 30 Instructors teaching at the same time and the instructor on TWC is the only one having trouble, plus when we use the some computer in a different location they have no trouble (tried 3 computers on his TWC and got the same result). So I believe Time Warner Cable has done something to their internet line since it impacts those using "real time" connections (viewing a movie that buffers to the computer works fine).

·VOIPO

I found something that may provide resolution for other users

I'm not sure about this, but it's interesting: Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP (OGV200)

Review by gbh2o See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
Good "Quality residential services, great features, and high quality support."
Bad "Addictive!"
Overall "Built to provide _service_ to the customer, and make lots of money. ;-)"

·Future Nine Corp..
·callwithus
UPDATE 20131004 - Solid value for the residential customer. Features galore to make life interesting. Multiple 'lines' all work fine and Beta tests can get really interesting.

UPDATE 20121117 - UPDATE- Just keeps plodding along testing new features and looks while maintaining great value and reliability for residential users. I keep getting more for less as VOIPo grows!

UPDATE 20120522 - UPDATE- Yawn! See below... I keep forgetting them since it just keep working.

UPDATE 20111209 - Yawn! New features and options that all work the way they say they do. Inexpensive for their level of solid service. A keeper.

UPDATE 20110823 - Grrr.... I can't find anything to complain about. VOIPo just keeps working the way they claim they do, although with various improvements and additions. Great value, great service and support. Darn it!

UPDATE 20101112 - Still enjoying the flexibility that comes with each account to make it work the way that serves me best! Strong and responsive support easily available.

UPDATE 20100301 - VOIPo is rapidly developing into a well-rounded major VoSP concentrating on top-quality Residential services. Exceptional feature development continues at a strong pace, and supporting services continue to be improved. This is a company here for the long term, with really big ideas and plans, and infrastructure.

UPDATE 20090109 - Developing into a solid, long-term national provider in the large scale category. Constantly looking to add features to an already solid line-up of services. Extremely responsive! Look for VOIPo to be around for a long time!

UPDATE October 20, 2008

I must now admit to being a VOIPo addict. I now have two dedicated residential accounts as well as 7 DIDs pointed to pbx servers (1 toll-free number, 1 toll-free fax number and 5 low-volume 'local' DIDs for family members.) When I need something for lower 'residential' volume inbound traffic set up fast, I find myself at the VOIPo login. A few seconds later the new service is live.

VOIPo does limit itself at present to providing standard residential volume products, primarily intended for single household use. So, I also must confess to happily using several other providers for my higher volume out-bound termination from the asterisk-based systems where I need greater flexibility and control. Nothing bad against VOIPo, it's just their choice for a sound and stable business model (darn it).

UPDATE July 15, 2008

I'm now a _paying_ customer... because of the confidence I have in VOIPo's products. So, I put my $ where I've talked about!

ORIGINAL REVIEW

The companies name is correctly VOIPo.

My disclosures:

This is a review of a service currently in pre-launch status.

I am biased, I participated in the alpha and beta cycles of development with this company for well over a year. Please see my periodic updates I post at the end of my evaluation.

The evaluation.

VOIPo has been built as a company according to the vision of owner Timothy Dick. The company has been committed to developing a high quality, stable and reliable service for customers. At one point, he discovered that his development team had failed to follow his vision of quality; I watched as he replaced the whole team with other professionals in the field, and basically started development over. With this new team, he has produced what I find to be an extremely secure and reliable VoIP service, coupled with features easily controlled from within the users 'vPanel.' BEWARE, controlling available features from this simple and straight-forward interface can become almost addictive! Call quality has been exceptional throughout development, partially attributable to concentrating on US service. Downtime I've noticed to date has amounted to perhaps two hours, primarily during announced hardware/software upgrades and modifications. At this time, VOIPo services will appeal primarily to the residential customer who just wants to plug it in, have the phone work, and have all the bells and whistles too.

The primary offering is a Residential plan, designed for customers in the U.S.A. It is intended to use a simple and reliable standard GrandStream analogue phone adapter, that was chosen for the ease of VOIPo remote diagnostics and maintenance. There is also an allowance for a softphone to be used when traveling. Customers use the “vPanel” to setup and control their account in real time. Failover, Call Waiting, 3 Way Calling, Caller ID with Name, Call Waiting ID, Anonymous Call Rejection, Caller ID Block, Call Return, Call Forwarding, and Voice mail are standard included features. The voice mail feature is on of the slickest I've seen. There is an ability to notify one or more email accounts of receipt of a voice mail including the Caller ID (CID), size and date and time of the message. You may elect to include a .WAV file of the message on an account basis. You may also elect to send an SMS with just the CID, size and date/time information (i.e. To your cell phone). An elaborate contacts management system is fully integrated into the other features like Custom Caller ID, Call Routing, Click to Call, Do Not Disturb and much more. You may associate unlimited phone numbers with the contact and also assign n your contacts to groups like family, friends, enemies, work ,etc. Once a contact is added, you may assign a nickname or 'custom CID name' that will be used to override the default network provided Caller ID name. Having your CID display “Dad” instead of a generic “PA Cell Phone” makes life a lot easier. You may also like the neat click-to-call feature within the contacts system. User selectable Custom call routing criteria (including wildcards!) allows unlimited manipulation of inbound calls to reach your phones, get a busy signal or a disconnected message, or be forward to another number or straight to voice mail. You can setup unlimited routing options and manage them all in real-time from the user console. Similarly, you may route outbound calls! You can create your own 'speed dial' features for example, by routing outbound '111' to your tennis partner's phone if you like. If you disapprove of your minor son calling the local escort service, just send that number to a busy signal, or better yet to your cell phone for confession time. Only your imagination can limit how outgoing calls from your phone are handled!. VOIPo supports dialing 7, 10, or 11 digits for ease of use. The entire system is designed support using SIP addresses for both inbound calls and as destinations. A user may also elect participation in a 'Community Powered Telemarketing Block' program, or to block all international calls. Users can easily add residential virtual local numbers from rate centers throughout the country, or even virtual toll free numbers.

member for 13.3 years, 4667 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mobilelawyer See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL

I have had the service for a little over two years. The days to success number may not be correct, because I simply do not remember. I had to have an AT&T number ported, so that delayed the process a little, and may have taken slightly longer than 7 days.

I do not remember any hiccups. The only thing that has cut my service off is an internet interruption, and that would not be VOIPO's fault.

I perceive the voice quality to be excellent, and certainly equal to landline quality. Does anyone have a landline any more?

The VOIPO provided device is the Grandstream HT502. I did have to make a call to technical support, not on initial set-up, but some weeks later with a home networking issue. They were efficient, but, unfortunately, only available during business hours. That is a detriment, because you need to be at home when you are one the phone with them. There is a user forum that appears to be monitored by company reps, but you may have to wait awhile for an answer.

I also recently had an issue when I changed my ISP and had to move my cable modem and router into another room. I had some audio blanking problems when I tried to connect the Grandstream via a powerline adapter. I had to move the device back into the room where the router is located to make a direct Ethernet connection to fix the problem.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives. The service is seamless. You never think about it. I use a Panasonic base station that has an answering feature, and, of course, it is plugged directly into the Grandstream. The Panasonic has 4 wireless extensions. It you are going to use your existing POTS wiring to connect all your house phones, you may have some additional work, particularly if your house is older. For the average user, unless you are very patient, or are willing pay someone to properly wire the house phones, it is far easier just to connect a base station with the wireless extensions, and I suspect that is the most common set up.

Once the service is up, and your phone system is plugged into the device, the service is just like the POTS you had before in many respects-- and better. The phone rings, you answer it; you pick up your phone to make a call, hear a dial tone, and dial the number. Same as it ever was.

But let's say you had a power failure for two hours, and during that period, you had no internet. What if 5 people called you? Would you know they had called? Yes you would! If your device is offline because of a power failure, or your isp is offline, the automated VOIPO front end answers the call and allows the caller to leave a voice mail. You set up the front end initially to forward the voice mail to your email address. I look at my smartphone and note that an email has been received, and listen to the attached .wav file to hear the message, and call them back on my smartphone. I like that feature. I have two answering machines: the hardware answering machine that my Panasonic provides, and a backup answering machine that VOIPO provides if, for any reason, the system cannot connect to my Grandstream.

So, I am a satisfied user of the service. I have the same telephone number I have used for 32 years (my old landline number ported to VOIPO); the voice quality is good; The service has been very reliable; I make unlimited domestic calls; and it all costs nine dollars a month (as opposed to the $49.95 that I was paying AT&T for POTS).

The two-year cost is $199, but with taxes and fees my renewal was $216. The original sign up cost was only $149, and that is an even better deal. They periodically make that offer to existing customers for a two year renewal. I just never took advantage of it, and wound up paying the full price at renewal.

Comments:

Review by dbmaven See Profile

• Location: Highland Mills,Orange,NY
Good "Price/reliabilitiy/call quality"
Bad "Currrent: None"
Overall "I'll renew"

·Optimum Online
Decided to replace a 2nd POTS line, used for some business calls and the occasional fax, due to significant price differential versus VoIP providers.
Have a MagicJack, and while it works OK, doesn't provide the kind of service that I require for this 2nd line being that a computer needs to be on and running 24 x 7, so I went looking for an ATA device based VoIP solution. I don't have the time or inclination to mess with 'Bring your own Device' (BYOD) services, so I wanted one that would be plug and play.
VOIPo, although new and just coming out of an extended beta period, fit the bill, had good ratings by the testing team which frequents the VOIP TECH CHAT forum, and a very good price.
Setup was truly plug and play once the ATA arrived (Grandstream HT502). And it worked well.
As has been well documented in the forums, they had a series of problems with the HT502 during January/February 2009. They ended up replacing the 502 with Linksys PAP-2T devices. That led to a separate set of issues - not VOIPo's problem - that can be reviewed in my post here: »[VoIPo] If you have a Linksys router...

Since that time, I've had zero problems, 100% reliability and could not be happier with the service.

You can get better 'value for the money' if you're a tweaker/geek and do BYOD with another service provider, which is why I rated that attribute a "4". If you're a plug-and-play/I just want it to work type person, it's really a "5" at this time.

Update 26-Oct-2010
It just works.

Call clarity is better than anything else I've got - cell or POTS.
Zero issues in what seems like forever.

Update 12-Aug-2013
Can't believe it's been this long since I updated this review - but that's a testament to a service that has just worked for me, whenever needed it's there. I've got it set up on Zoiper (iPhone 5), the built in Internet Calling on my Galaxy Nexus, and on laptop with X-Lite. The PAP2T ATA just keeps humming along.
It's not the cheapest, it's not the most feature laden, but it's perfect for my needs - and has been "perfect".

member for 14.4 years, 7733 visits, last login: a few hours ago